Josephs Brau Prost - Trader Joe's Brewing Company

good

Trader Joe's Brewing Company

Maibock / Helles Bock |  7.30% ABV

Availability: Spring

(Beer added by: ranger7 on 03-08-2013)

Oh, for goodness' sake -- who ever has a MINIMUM character requirement? OK, I'll blather on for a bit before I get to the point, namely to say, "This is the first time I've tasted true maibock since I visited Heidelberg for Prof. zu Putlitz' 70th birthday symposium in (IIRC) 1990!"

4.86/5  rDev +38.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 5

Went to trader joe's and bought this beer along with a few others. I had never been there before and seeing beer at 5.99$ a sixxer and brewing beer myself I became curious "How bad could a cheap sixxer of beer be" ?? I bought their IPA which was under hopped but good. I cracked the top on this Prost beer, poured it into my beer glass and it pours a red-orange amber beer with brown toffee looking head and gives very little lace, but carbonated enough to add to the taste.

I rate this beer very high because everyone I have shared it with is floored at the price and taste. MMMm Rich Malty Lager. I lift weights and am very carb conscience my one complaint is I'm pretty sure this beer is 200 calories or more. It's 7.3% alcohol WOW ... it hides this potent ABV very well and shockingly provides a malty slightly sweet taste. I have one every few days with a dinner, and it compliments most foods nicely!

Overall I am absolutely impressed with this beer. I'm going to try the oatmeal stout, and other cheap beers at Trader joes because this beer has shown if you go load up on brew at TJ your going to save allot of money and get beer that should be costing 10$ a six pack!

GREAT BEER !!! I highly recommend it to anyone looking for a great brew at an unbelievable price.

4.25/5  rDev +21.4%

4.25/5  rDev +21.4%

4.21/5  rDev +20.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I just returned from Zie Motherland so I had my fair share of Maibock style beers during my trip. I was happy to see that my local TJ's had this on sale for a mere $3.99 a six pack! So this was a no brainer (keine Krähen)

Appearance - deep copper w/ slight head

Smell - did not detect much aroma on this, no biggie - beer is for drinking, not smelling

Taste - light, crisp bright, carmel/butterscotch sweet bready flavor, very drinkable. Some maibocks can be a bit sticky sweet but this one is very drinkable and smooth.

Mouthfeel - good

Overall - a great maibock and a great price (the reg price is $5.99 so even the regular price is a good deal)

4.1/5  rDev +17.1%

This is from a bottle and poured into a glass mug. Never had it before.

A- Great dark amber color. Not too much head on this beer, it fizzled away quickly. Leaves a small bit of head circling the mug. Teeny tiny bit of lacing, if at all.

S- Sweet malts up front. Some hops. It smells fresh and welcoming.

T- First I taste the sweet malts then the hops become fully dominant afterwards.
It's not over hoppy, but enough to balance out the malts. An aftertaste of hops and a tiny bit of malts.
I thought it would be more malty, since the bottle says "Rich malty lager". I'm surprised at how well this beer hides the alcohol content of 7.3%.

M- Mouthfeel is light and crisp. It has the mouth feel of a clean beer.

Drinkability- This is a very drinkable beer. Goes down easy, like a 5.0% or lower abv beer. Not much carbonation.

O- Overall, I was pleasantly surprised with this. It's a great beer. For $5.99 a six pack, it's definitely worth it.
"Prost!"

JosephsBrau Prost has an extremely thick, cream-colored head, a clear, bubbly, copper appearance, and rather heavy lacing left behind on the glass. The aroma is of sweet, syrupy, bread crust. Taste is the same with a wonderful, prominent hop bitterness coming in near the end of the sip. Mouthfeel is light to medium, and JosephsBrau Prost finishes crisp, refreshing, and surprisingly drinkable. Overall, this is delicious!

RJT

An aggressive pour of JosephsBrau's Prost yields a deep amber brew and a creamy, khaki head that sticks around a while. Clarity is excellent. Carbonation is moderate; I expect a full feel on my tongue.

The nose is, stylistically speaking, right on the money. Strong malty sweetness aromas dominate. Apple cider, toasted grain, a hint of musky grass, and a touch of white pepper.

The taste expands the nose. Crisp, dry cider dominates. Others have described this beer as "sweet" and "cloying." I don't find it so. No caramelized malts here, just a solid backbone of toasted grain malts, I suspect. There is a hint of sweet fruitiness; is it Munich malt? In any case, this complex, malty backbone does a nice job of hiding most of the alcoholic flavors, but the pleasing warmth and peppery notes thereof are certainly noticeable (as they should be). Those peppery notes nicely complement the bitterness and earthy aromas of the hops. This is a solid brew, and much more interesting than most maibocks I've had.

The mouthfeel is medium, and excellent. Any fuller, and the beer wouldn't be a Maibock. Any thinner, and the complex flavors would be let down by wateriness.

Prost is an aggressive Maibock. From the slightly-bolder-than-usual color to the almost-too-malty-for-a-Maibock flavor profile, this beer delivers. I've tried dozens of Maibocks, and have never been particularly impressed by the style. This one delivers. Go out and pick up a bottle.

3.94/5  rDev +12.6%

App - pale amber color, surprisingly dark for the style. Brilliant. Poured a modest white head with fairly poor retention.

Aroma - A nice noble hop aroma at the start, spicy but not overpowering. Some malt as well.

Taste - Nice hit of malt at the start, a reminder that this one is a bock. Malt quickly balanced by flavor and bitterness from the hops. Nice balance of malt and hops, with hops winning in the end.

MF - medium body and moderately high carbonation that is felt on the tongue. Some alcohol warming.

Overall a nice, big seasonal lager. Big malt, big hops. Criminally cheap at $6/six pack.

3.89/5  rDev +11.1%

New (close) TJ's opened near me, so I hope I can get more of these great, inexpensive, German-style brews more often. I think this Spring Seasonal was out last year, but I didn't get to try it, so here goes.

Best Consumed before 08-06-14 clear and legible on the label.

A -- Clear, deep gold to bronze color with a dense, firm, light tan colored head that settles slow leaving good lacing.

S -- Yeasty, bready malt with some telltale peppery alcohol. Good breadiness is the king, though.

T -- Chewy, bready, toasty, lightly sweet, malts up front with some mild light fruitiness in the middle that blends into spicy noble hop flavor and then to peppery alcohol that lingers through the finish and into the aftertaste. The breadiness follows thru in the aftertaste as well, begging for another taste.

M -- Mouthfeel is soft to near syrupy with a medium to lightly-robust body.

O -- I'd like to thank TJ's for bringing Gordon-Biersch beers to the areas where it isn't distributed -- and thank G-B for teaming with TJ's to package and sell their beers at such a bargain. While the alcohol tends this beer to some hotness that is a little distracting, this is yet another terrific German-style beer from G-B and TJ's. Prosit! Indeed.

3.89/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Malty with yeast and bread notes. Clean and fresh--small, tight bubbles. My bet is that is well-lagered for a good 6 to 8 weeks.bought from the TJ store in Charlottesville VA in 3/22/13 for $5.99-a great price point-every other craft beer in central VA is on average, $10.00 per six pack. Recommended.

3.79/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Bought from Trader Joe's on 3/23/13. poured from a 12 oz bottle into a mug, served at room temp.

medium orange amber with a no nothing head. I bet lacing will be non existent. I was right.

aroma: sweet caramel malt, reminds me of Sam Adams Oktoberfest. A faint Noble hoppiness meekly presents itself.

mouthfeel: a little unfinished., syrupy.

taste: sweet caramel malts with a touch of spicy noble hops that creates some bitterness at the end.

Notes: not bad. Fairly easy to drink.

3.78/5  rDev +8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Comes in a bottle (6 for $6.50). "Best by" date is 5 months off, so I'm assuming it was brewed a month ago or so... Not refrigerated like all of trader joe's beers.

Pours a clear rich amber with a thin tan head on top. Aroma is deep and rich with loads of dried fruit: figs, dates.

Taste starts off very mild, but sweet and builds with rich caramel, toffee, fig and raisin notes. Finishes cry and crisp with a spicy hop bite at the back end.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied. Has a a nice silky mouthfeel in the middle and finishes dry and crisp with help from the carbonation and hops. Alcohol is definitely there, but is inoffensive.

Overall a decent maibock. Not one of the best I've had, but definitely one of the best for this price. I would buy again just based on pricing.

3.78/5  rDev +8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Poured into a Celebrator pokal. Pours a reddish coppery amber with a fine half finger ivory head with good retention and lacing. Aroma is quite bready malt with hint of rye bread, hints of caramel and nuts. Flavor is sweet biscuit and bready malt, grassy German style hops, hay. Nice creamy medium body. A slightly sweet, but overall well balanced malty maibock with tradtional hops that give this a nice finish. A quite well done inexpensive maibock, and possibly my favorite among the Josephs Brau line. Better than expected and something I'd buy again in a pinch.

3.75/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

12 oz bottle froma 6-pack bought at Trader Joes in Salem. $5.99..claims to be a maibock Pours a bright darker amber colour with a small off white head. Malty toffee,light caramel aromas. Smooth creamy,toffee and cream flavours..slightly bitter in the end. Nice actually. Good thick creamy silk mouthfeel lovely. Nice bock here smooth and strong!

Josephs Brau Prost from Trader Joe's Brewing Company