Caldera IPA - Caldera Brewing Company

Caldera IPACaldera IPA

Caldera Brewing Company visit their website
Oregon, United States

(Beer added by: Jason on 02-21-2005)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Caldera IPA Alström Bros

Sargully, Jan 04, 2012

CEDAMA, May 19, 2012

12 oz can poured into duvel snifter
A - pours a deep amber, very lively, large white head that stays for a bit, very good looking beer
S - huge citrus notes, absolutely amazing smelling beer
T - amazing citrusy grapefruits and oranges amazing IPA, absolutely, the bitterness is perfectly balanced
M - very smooth, creamy, easy to drink
O - the best IPA I have ever had, absolutely amazing beer

vicsju1991, Jan 07, 2012

JimmytheSaintPSU, Aug 19, 2012

Naptownrick, Nov 02, 2014

LightnerLiquorKS, Jul 25, 2014

bryanpistole, Aug 02, 2014

Freshman88, Nov 05, 2012

ColdBassHonkey, Oct 24, 2014

Love this beer, one of favorites.

jdixon302, Sep 18, 2014

kennylopez, Nov 28, 2011

dukebrian, Nov 15, 2011

dnolan36, Jan 03, 2012
4.85/5  rDev +22.5%

CAN you dig how phenomenal the CANQuest has become? I am trading and/or getting CANs from everywhere! I CAN hardly believe it myself.

Whoops! I already drank one of my three this morning before even writing anything down. My notes for Ashland Amber included commentary on the CAN itself, including verbiage and mention of CAN-conditioning. This, however, was a visually appealing CAN with vibrant color reproduction and a green pop-tab. My buds at that stoner joint, Roots (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/10996/?view=beerfly), would fully dig this CAN. Hey, before anybody gets their panties in a bunch, a) I kid and b) I CAN pass a urinalysis standing on my head. I dig beer, you dig? Plus, that place has a really smoky vibe and I am sure that they would not be particularly offended. Onward.

Both times, my pour has begun with a finger of ecru head which has simply sat down, leaving sticky Belgian lacing in its wake. The nose is forest hops - pine, green, earthy, sticky, massive. Sweet hops the hope of my life - once again, that damned howling monkey shut up and climbed off of my back for the moment. I am on the waiting list for hops rehab but it's a long list and I may not last that long. Thank Bob for hops!

It now becomes a simple matter of drawing some of this delectable beverage into a syringe through a needle and jamming said needle into one of the few remaining viable veins. No heating necessary. Cold fusion is more satisfactory, anyway. Once I untie my rubber hose, the euphoric quality begins to set in. I am one with the Beeriverse. My existance is justified. I'm not just a simple Hophead. I am a HopJunkie and an unapologetic one, at that. My licking the lacing out of the glass is starting to draw stares from the nieghbors. So what?!? The heck with them! This is my scene, man, and don't mess with me while I'm digging it. Find your own scene and report back.

Man, how do I convey veinfeel over mouthfeel? It was righteous! Full, sticky, veinous (not vinous), right on, baby! Finish was hoppy, sticky, yummy, the EMTs are trying to restart my heart, man. Zounds!

Where am I? Was this a review? Wow, man. What a groovy trip. Did you dig the scene too, or was it just me? I gotta get in the shower, man. I'll try anything once.

woodychandler, Nov 22, 2009
4.85/5  rDev +22.5%

Great looking 12oz can poured into pint glass. Pours a golden amber color with tons of frothy head and gobs of lacing on the sides of the glass. Very piney hoppy smell. Taste is a slap in the tongue with pine followed by orange citrus. Amazing hop profile on par with super hopped double/imperial IPA's. Light dry mouthfeel that really dries out your mouth. Great drinkability hindered only by the hop blast that will quickly leave your taste buds dulled. Overall this is an amazing IPA that blows my mind every time I drink it.

dakid618, Apr 12, 2009
4.83/5  rDev +22%

My new favorite IPA which continues the awesome trend of canned microbrews. Pours a nice head that sticks to the rim. Smell has a hint of citrus (pineapple/orange) but doesn't over power anything. Tastes great with plenty of hops but not too bitter. Priced right as well.

Srfndoc, Apr 26, 2012

xJMFCx, Jun 07, 2014

brendaniel, Oct 20, 2012

creez, Mar 09, 2012
4.72/5  rDev +19.2%

Can into Sam Adams Sensory glass.

Pours clear, bright copper, dark enough that it ventures almost into ruby hues in the wider sections of the glass. Head is huge, towering at at least 3 fingers of dense off-white goodness, and taking a good while to settle back down. Tons and tons of delicate lacing covering the walls of the glass as the head recedes.

Nose comes through as direct but very well done - big grapefruity citrus hops sit on top of a light bed of toasty caramel, really well put together and refined.

Taste is very, very good. World class even. Grapefruity hops come through big to start, though this one is all flavor and almost no bitterness - hopbursted? - with a firm layer underneath of toasty caramel malt that is just in absolute perfect balance for an IPA. The hops are clearly the star of the show, but the malt is just dialed in to perfection. Wow. Finish starts with a big juicy-sweet grapefruit burst, and carries a very manageable bitterness that never builds out of control as the finish dries right up.

Mouthfeel is smooth and creamy, medium-full bodied, maybe just a tiny bit sticky. Really exceptionally done.

Drinkability is startlingly good, up there with my best IPA experiences. A really top-tier IPA that I'd heard a lot about, but really wasn't expecting to be as good as it is. Tip of the hat to the folks at Caldera, beautifully done beer.

JohnQVegas, Jul 31, 2010