Caldera IPA - Caldera Brewing Company

Caldera IPACaldera IPA

Caldera Brewing Company visit their website
Oregon, United States

(Beer added by: Jason on 02-21-2005)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Caldera IPA Alström Bros
Sargully

Oregon

01-04-2012 01:26:40 | More by Sargully
CEDAMA

05-19-2012 19:44:00 | More by CEDAMA
vicsju1991

12 oz can poured into duvel snifter
A - pours a deep amber, very lively, large white head that stays for a bit, very good looking beer
S - huge citrus notes, absolutely amazing smelling beer
T - amazing citrusy grapefruits and oranges amazing IPA, absolutely, the bitterness is perfectly balanced
M - very smooth, creamy, easy to drink
O - the best IPA I have ever had, absolutely amazing beer

dnolan36

01-03-2012 04:11:09 | More by dnolan36
woodychandler

4.85/5  rDev +22.5%

CAN you dig how phenomenal the CANQuest has become? I am trading and/or getting CANs from everywhere! I CAN hardly believe it myself.

Whoops! I already drank one of my three this morning before even writing anything down. My notes for Ashland Amber included commentary on the CAN itself, including verbiage and mention of CAN-conditioning. This, however, was a visually appealing CAN with vibrant color reproduction and a green pop-tab. My buds at that stoner joint, Roots (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/10996/?view=beerfly), would fully dig this CAN. Hey, before anybody gets their panties in a bunch, a) I kid and b) I CAN pass a urinalysis standing on my head. I dig beer, you dig? Plus, that place has a really smoky vibe and I am sure that they would not be particularly offended. Onward.

Both times, my pour has begun with a finger of ecru head which has simply sat down, leaving sticky Belgian lacing in its wake. The nose is forest hops - pine, green, earthy, sticky, massive. Sweet hops the hope of my life - once again, that damned howling monkey shut up and climbed off of my back for the moment. I am on the waiting list for hops rehab but it's a long list and I may not last that long. Thank Bob for hops!

It now becomes a simple matter of drawing some of this delectable beverage into a syringe through a needle and jamming said needle into one of the few remaining viable veins. No heating necessary. Cold fusion is more satisfactory, anyway. Once I untie my rubber hose, the euphoric quality begins to set in. I am one with the Beeriverse. My existance is justified. I'm not just a simple Hophead. I am a HopJunkie and an unapologetic one, at that. My licking the lacing out of the glass is starting to draw stares from the nieghbors. So what?!? The heck with them! This is my scene, man, and don't mess with me while I'm digging it. Find your own scene and report back.

Man, how do I convey veinfeel over mouthfeel? It was righteous! Full, sticky, veinous (not vinous), right on, baby! Finish was hoppy, sticky, yummy, the EMTs are trying to restart my heart, man. Zounds!

Where am I? Was this a review? Wow, man. What a groovy trip. Did you dig the scene too, or was it just me? I gotta get in the shower, man. I'll try anything once.

11-22-2009 16:18:36 | More by woodychandler
dakid618

4.85/5  rDev +22.5%

Great looking 12oz can poured into pint glass. Pours a golden amber color with tons of frothy head and gobs of lacing on the sides of the glass. Very piney hoppy smell. Taste is a slap in the tongue with pine followed by orange citrus. Amazing hop profile on par with super hopped double/imperial IPA's. Light dry mouthfeel that really dries out your mouth. Great drinkability hindered only by the hop blast that will quickly leave your taste buds dulled. Overall this is an amazing IPA that blows my mind every time I drink it.

04-12-2009 21:22:12 | More by dakid618
Srfndoc

4.83/5  rDev +22%

My new favorite IPA which continues the awesome trend of canned microbrews. Pours a nice head that sticks to the rim. Smell has a hint of citrus (pineapple/orange) but doesn't over power anything. Tastes great with plenty of hops but not too bitter. Priced right as well.

04-26-2012 17:32:35 | More by Srfndoc

03-09-2012 22:55:42 | More by creez
JohnQVegas

Tennessee

4.72/5  rDev +19.2%

Can into Sam Adams Sensory glass.

Pours clear, bright copper, dark enough that it ventures almost into ruby hues in the wider sections of the glass. Head is huge, towering at at least 3 fingers of dense off-white goodness, and taking a good while to settle back down. Tons and tons of delicate lacing covering the walls of the glass as the head recedes.

Nose comes through as direct but very well done - big grapefruity citrus hops sit on top of a light bed of toasty caramel, really well put together and refined.

Taste is very, very good. World class even. Grapefruity hops come through big to start, though this one is all flavor and almost no bitterness - hopbursted? - with a firm layer underneath of toasty caramel malt that is just in absolute perfect balance for an IPA. The hops are clearly the star of the show, but the malt is just dialed in to perfection. Wow. Finish starts with a big juicy-sweet grapefruit burst, and carries a very manageable bitterness that never builds out of control as the finish dries right up.

Mouthfeel is smooth and creamy, medium-full bodied, maybe just a tiny bit sticky. Really exceptionally done.

Drinkability is startlingly good, up there with my best IPA experiences. A really top-tier IPA that I'd heard a lot about, but really wasn't expecting to be as good as it is. Tip of the hat to the folks at Caldera, beautifully done beer.

07-31-2010 01:51:03 | More by JohnQVegas
wolfinthemirror

Oklahoma

4.7/5  rDev +18.7%

Pours a brilliant, shimmering honey color. Very generous off white head, sticks around with good lacing.

Smells like im sticking my head in a barrel of fresh hops. very floral and earthy, some citrus. the hop presence in the smell of this beer is assertive and strong.

Taste gives way to fresh, juicy grapefruit and resinous pine. Extremely vibrant. Definitely hop forward, not a lot of malt to explore in this one.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied, carbonation is nice and moderate. Has a nice flowing, juicy feel to it in the mouth, I can tell this beer is very fresh.

Highly drinkable, I'll get right down to it and say this is an excellent IPA I could drink all evening. They did a great job on this beer, i'd consider it in the class of the best IPAs I've had.
This is also my introduction to craft beer in a can, very impressed all in all.

05-23-2010 03:21:49 | More by wolfinthemirror
beerswamie

Missouri

4.7/5  rDev +18.7%

picked up a six-pack because I have been hearing good things about this beer.

A- dont know much since I drank it out of the can.
T- Wow this stuff is great! the pine taste and citrus just explode in your mouth at the first drink.

Unfortunately only one store carries this in my area and it is a bit of a trip but well worth it for one of the best beers out of a can you ever had.

08-12-2009 17:13:31 | More by beerswamie
cdizinno

4.68/5  rDev +18.2%

A: Slightly hazy golden amber with a nice off-white head and moderate to heavy lacing.

S: Nice mix of mild citrus, pine and floral scents. Very mild malty sweet scent too.

T&M: Very well-balanced, medium bodied IPA. Mostly floral hops with a mild background of citrus and pine. Perfect mild malty sweetness that cancels out most hop bitterness, but leaves the best components of the hops.

This stuff is great for a canned beer. Period.
Easier to store in the fridge, lighter and really very good. Joe at Green's mentioned that it is similar to 'Two Hearted'. I agree that it is just as good, but a little hoppier with less malty sweetness. I need to try another to confirm, but at first try, it's a definite regular on my list. Way to go Caldera!

04-24-2010 19:04:23 | More by cdizinno