1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Caldera IPA - Caldera Brewing Company

Caldera IPACaldera IPA

Caldera Brewing Company visit their website
Oregon, United States

(Beer added by: Jason on 02-21-2005)
View: Beers (23) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Caldera IPA Alström Bros
Ratings: 896 | Reviews: 466 | Show All Ratings:
IPAguy2009

4.63/5  rDev +16.6%

Picked up a 6er of this, cool lookin can! On sale for 8.99 I believe. Normal is 10 bucks I believe. Poured into a frozen pint glass right from the fridge.

A- Pours an orange dark straw color. Good lookin'! LACING is great in this beer! O so sticky!

S- HOPS HOPS and more fresh picked fruity HOPS. From past experience with this beer I know everything improves as it warms up. Very beer-like smell. Also lots of grain as well. Great smell

T- Starts with a very short great malt and grain taste then right into a delicious fresh hop flavor that reminds me of the smell of picking a ripe hop bud right off the bine! Lasts for some good time. I dare say the most profound fresh hop flavor I've ever tasted in a IPA, it literally tastes like you put some hops in your mouth and started chewing it up and its great. Very full flavored.

M- Medium, not too light but not heavy.

O- A great IPA, I am not the biggest fan of piney IPAs but this one has just a touch of it then followed by fruity hops (my preference). A for sure thumbs up from me. Darn near my most fav IPA. Pick some up, you will enjoy if your an IPA fan.

12-18-2011 02:02:44 | More by IPAguy2009
Freethyhops

Alabama

4.6/5  rDev +15.9%

a- pours a light orange amber color with a great off white head. it left some heavy lacing along the side of the glass and showed good retention.

s- massive acidic citrus; orange, mango, grapefruit. a robust bouquet of hop aroma with the citrus leading, a heavy floral influence with a bit of pine in there too

t-the citrus is front and center just as in the aroma but it has a much bigger pine influence with a distinctive heavy amount of Simcoe hops. the finish is moderately-highly bitter with a bit of breadiness.

m- medium bodied. a bit low on the carbonation for the style. a good bit of dryness in the finish.

d- a great beer that keeps you reaching for the glass. I definitely need to get more of this stuff. with no alcohol to be found in the taste it would be exceptionally easy to drink a fair share of these.

06-01-2010 10:28:19 | More by Freethyhops
mindlucent2007

4.6/5  rDev +15.9%

Caldera IPA pours a slightly hazy golden-amber with half-inch thick, foamy head that is not going anywhere. It has the most serious lacing I've witnessed and my pint glass is coated up to the top. Smell is a grassy and citrus burst, lemons. The taste is very smooth up front with a bite at the end. It has that grapefruit sourness; a nice blend of hops and subtle malts. Slight carbonation and a very easy mouthfeel for this IPA, not heavy at all. This brew should be a top contender in the IPA market if it is not already and it is one of my favorites ever since it was recommended to me. Shout outs to Whole Foods Plymouth Meeting.

01-12-2011 00:11:58 | More by mindlucent2007
chocosushi

Oklahoma

12oz can -> nondescript pint

A ~ Steady pour reveals very red body with pretty good sized head. Stickyyy lacing. Appearance is not the highlight of this brew though.

S ~ Perfumey Pine cone & Citrus (Grapefruit and Tangerine)
Grassy as hell, smells wet and fresh.

T ~ Bittersweet is a good word. Grapefruit, heavy pinetrees, kiwi, kumquat, lemon, grainy tree sap, and tea leaves. There is a sugary sweetness in there, but the woody dry hopping curbs it. Subtly malted.

M ~ Good showcase of Good American hops, with a curious sweetness and a very dry finish. Screams for you to drink more. I believe I downed this one in 3 minutes it was that incredible.

D ~ So damn drinkable, shame it's As much as it is in OK. This is a very unique IPA and is a must try. Could drink ALL day.

06-04-2011 22:42:02 | More by chocosushi
SurlyDuff

4.55/5  rDev +14.6%

The whole canned microbrew thing is really taking off. With Surly, Caldera, and others now proving that canned beer can be as good or better than bottles, I tihnk in another 5 years the market will explode.

Brick/rusty orange flows into my pint glass from the brightly designed can. Smaller head, though the lacing sticks to the side of my glass with tenacity.

Aroma is a bit weak compared to other PacNW IPA's. However, after the brew warmed up a bit, there was a noticable improvement in the strength. Noticed hops of course. More sweet florals that other IPAs. Grapefruit, lemon, cannabis.

Flavor was superb. For the first second, I notice a sweet smoothness. Then the hops set in and I am awash in bitter pine and citrus. Again, cannabis notes as well. The finish has caramel and bitter earthen/soil characteristics.

I really like this one, and get no metallic or other "can"-like flavors. (not that I expected to). I've got a 6-pack, and I would like to drink at leas tone straight from the can, it seems like the thing to do.

02-14-2008 05:34:39 | More by SurlyDuff
maximum12

4.55/5  rDev +14.6%

So...not only does ThirstyHopHead agree to send me two bottles of the 2008 Abyss in a recent trade, but he drops three beers I've never heard of in as extras. Including Caldera IPA. Not only never heard of the brew, no clue the brewery even existed.

The pour is the initial use of a Flying Fish glass that marcpal sent me recently. Clearly he read my mind about the need for smaller glasses in the house. Thanks Marc!

The 12 oz. goes into the tulip with about an ounce or so to spare. The smell knocks me for a loop, a bitter, disgusted, angry, fucked-up hophead's dream searing my nostrils. I was kind of looking at this as a nice, gentle way to start off the night. What did I get myself into?

Ah, I see. I got myself into a kick-ass IPA I've never heard of before. The taste is aggressively hopped, pleasantly oily, bitter, sharp, clean, & all the things a good IPA claims to be. Wow. First-class IPA. Really, really good.

I could drink these all night.

Thanks Mr. Hophead, I am going to put this on my wants list hoping people will drop a can or two in as extras. The only thing preventing me from trading for it is the existence of a local brew, Surly Furious, maybe you've heard of it. This is...almost...no. I can't even type it. It's close. Great beer.

12-07-2008 00:09:45 | More by maximum12
kingjames1

South Carolina

4.55/5  rDev +14.6%

The beer pours a nice yellow-orange, with a thick white head. Looks delish. Maybe its my nose, but I don't detect too much - citrusy hops with a pine undergirding. But the taste is exceptional. Wonderfully bright hops and a satisfying malt backbone. But like most west coast ipas, this is not balanced...thankfully. A hops explosion of grapefruit, spice, and pine. Awesome. This is the best IPA i've had in a can...and one of the better ones around PERIOD. Check this one out.

10-01-2011 01:15:17 | More by kingjames1
franksnbeans

4.53/5  rDev +14.1%

Pours a clear burned orange with a creamy head that dies somewhat quickly and little to no lacing. Smells like a hop bomb with strong citrus, rind and a tiny bit of floral. Blows away your taste buds with hops and a bite of citrus. The balance isnt as great as it could be but this sure is tasty, especially if you are a hop head. Finishes wonderfully dry and bitter but doesnt linger too long on the tongue. Carbonation is perfect. A very drinkable and delicious IPA....and from a can no less.

08-17-2007 03:56:54 | More by franksnbeans
GarrettMD

4.53/5  rDev +14.1%

A - Pours a nice clear copper hue with 1 finger off white bubbly head. Good carbonation coming up.

S - All citrus and pine hops initially, mostly pine. After the initial aroma, the malt base comes through more. Mostly caramel malts.

T - Pine and citrus tastes follow the aroma. Caramel malt flavor is very prominent. First few sips are mostly bitter, but as I keep tasting it, the malt is coming through more and more. Very rich malt flavor with the pine and citrus notes balancing it perfectly. Flavor is much more complex than I was anticipating.

M - Medium bodied, very good carbonation. Not as oily as most IPAs. Finish is bitter and citrus.

D - Great drinkability. Very well rounded and a very smooth malt base to make this one extremely easy to drink.

08-11-2010 21:04:41 | More by GarrettMD
Schmit

Washington

4.53/5  rDev +14.1%

One of the best IPAs from Oregon (which is saying a lot).

$2 for a 12-oz. can at Full Throttle Bottle in south Seattle--and worth every penny.

Great head on this rosy-orange colored beer. It lets off a strong and unmistakable lychee aroma, which I've smelled on all three separate occasions I've tasted it so far. Flavor has the same lychee up front, with piney/resiny hops backing it up. Carbonation is good and the finish is pleasantly bitter that doesn't linger over-long.

All in all, one great IPA and probably the best thing I've ever drunk out of a can.

06-02-2011 05:36:55 | More by Schmit
WVbeergeek

4.5/5  rDev +13.4%

Appears semi haze copper orange body glows when held to the light, large bubbled off white head clings to my pint with thick chunky even lacing between each sip. Aroma is chalk full of hops grapefruit, floral, and piney varieties blend wonderfully tickle the nose with citrus peel like fury. As it warms more of a complex earthiness with mild tree bark notes ring out but underneath all those hops a subtle layer of malt sugars arise bringing out sweet candy like notes. Flavor is upfront with brash bitterness yet enough malt sweetness comes out to party, this is west coast style IPA all the way. Hop bitterness reigns supreme with grapefruit citrus peel bitterness and more of that earthy dirt layer coming through. Mouthfeel the hop bitterness consumes your palate it really sticks around it makes you feel like you have to scrape the hops off your tongue, I love it. Once again I love the can format, this is great to get this much hop flavor out of a near 6%abv brew coming right out of a can. Next time I hit up an outdoor event where drinking takes place I will remember this beer and wish I had at least a case on hand. Very green yet biscuit malts and mild caramel twang make so drinkable the palate gets used to those brash bittering hops and adjusts to all the other flavors my palate has a found it's equilibrium and no shit this is an outstanding IPA in a can. Hoppier than Gordon DIPA.

02-23-2008 17:43:06 | More by WVbeergeek
womencantsail

4.5/5  rDev +13.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

A: A clear amber color with a nice fluffy white head. The lacing on this beer is absolutely incredible.

S: An amazing smell. The smell reminds me of homebrewing. It feels as though I've got a big chunk of fresh Simcoe and Amarillo hops that I'm about to toss into the boil. Very piney and citrusy. Different aromas, but on par with Pliny and Sculpin.

T: The Simcoe train doesn't stop at the nose. Plenty of bitterness and a nice grapefruit flavor as well. Not quite as good as the nose, but almost.

M: This is the one area I think the beer falls a bit short. The body is on the thin/watery side, but the carbonation levels are fine.

D: This is one of my new favorite IPAs. This is a great IPA for just sipping on or drinking during a hot day. I think I'll pick up a six pack the next time I see it.

12-10-2009 02:10:55 | More by womencantsail
wcudwight

4.5/5  rDev +13.4%

Copper colored beer with a nice sticky off-white head with some orange hues. Classic Western IPA aroma of loads of citric hops. Also some mildly herbal aromas but this beer is all about the C-hops. Well balanced yet still hoppy. Grapefruit, pinecones and fresh mint in the flavor. Medium to full bodied and wayyy too drinkable. I looked down and my glass was empty. A great IPA in a can, what's not to love. Oh yeah, we can't get it in NC that's what's not to love.

10-29-2010 04:29:30 | More by wcudwight
jtd1969

4.5/5  rDev +13.4%

Tapped this open and a fruity piney smell, Cloudy golden orange color when poured in a pint glass. Nice foaming thick head. Big and hoppy, yet smooth as butter. Minimal hop after taste (I like this, so was a liittle disappointed with the lack there of there) However, a delicious beer. Would drink it anytime!! I bet on draft it is a delight!

09-09-2011 00:39:36 | More by jtd1969
MNishCT77

District of Columbia

4.5/5  rDev +13.4%

12 oz. can purchased at Total Wines and More in Alexandria, VA last week, unknown birth date, poured into a 3Fs Teku long-stemmed glass, drank 4/23/13 over one hour.

A: 4.5 - reddish-brown (dare I say amber?!?) coloration, impressive clarity (can both see and read through...likely filtered), white one finger head dissipates very quickly into subtle glass lacing, small amount of tight amber bubbles, minimal perceptible alcohol legs

S: 4.5 - solid dank aroma: pine, resin, grapefruit...slight booze notes on the nose dig...classic Simcoe, Centennial and Amarillo notes

T: 4.5 - slap of bitterness on the anterior tongue but surprisingly less than 94 IBUs but resolved on subsequent sipping...in the middle of the mouth, there was lots grapefruit and pine but, after warming, the biscuity sweet caramel malts lingered, picking up alcohol tones consistent with 6%, very dry

M: 4.5 - moderate body and carbonation, juicy mouthfeel

O: 4.5 - solid, well-balanced American IPA: again, I mostly pulled out the Simcoe, Centennial and Amarillo pine dankness on the front end with accompanying bitterness (albeit not aggressively so) but the malt backbone is underrated here; I got a single can on the cheap (~$2), very glad that I tried it and would definitely purchase this again

04-24-2013 00:57:48 | More by MNishCT77
RonaldTheriot

Louisiana

4.5/5  rDev +13.4%

Caldera IPA has a thick, creamy, slightly off-white head, a mostly clear, orange appearance, with powdery white sediment suspended throughout, and lots of lacing left behind. The aroma is of very pronounced, piney hops and rich, sweet white bread. Taste is of the same, with an strong, but not overwhelming bitterness. Mouthfeel is medium, somewhat slick, and a bit prickly. Caldera IPA finishes mostly dry, easy drinking, and not the least bit alcohilic. Overall, this is outstanding.

RJT

01-07-2014 14:46:36 | More by RonaldTheriot
Immortale25

4.49/5  rDev +13.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a Dogfish Spiegelau glass. No freshness date but there's a sticker, no doubt put there by the liquor store, that say 2/12/2013.

A- Pours a dark amber with a 2 finger off-white head that retains a good long time before eventually making its way down to a thick ring around the edge of the glass and a large tuft of surface foam. .

S- Moderately hoppy aroma with a great deal of cereal grain sweetness from the malt. It has just as much citrus punch to it as it does caramel and brown sugar.

T- Such a delicate balance between subtle yet effective hops and that wort-like sweet barley flavor. Notes of caramel as well as grapefruit. Bitterness is strong and lingers but is fully complimented by the malt backbone.

Sharp and oily from the hops with a bit of creaminess from the malts. Medium carbonation and a notch above medium for the body.

O- I use malts and hops a lot in contrast for this review because this is a prime example of the two fused together nearly seamlessly. An excellently balanced IPA.

03-30-2013 02:59:59 | More by Immortale25
unclederby

4.47/5  rDev +12.6%

IPA from a can, oh man. This is a good beer.

I opted for the DFH pint glass here and the ale pours out a crystal clear orange with a copper grapefruit hue. A white two-finger head tops off a good looking beer. Nice lacing.

Tantilizing bouquet: floral and perfumey hops accented by a strong citrus presence. The overall effect of hops and malt is sweet and tangy.

Flavors are nicely balanced with just a slight bent towards the hoppy side. Orange and grapefruit mingle with spicy and floral and it's all about centennial hops. Whatever it's hop makeup, it's tasty.

It's weighty on the palate with a somewhat grainy texture and ample carbonation.

I could drink this regulary, it's damn good and I'm tempted to compare it to Two Hearted Ale. Seriously.

02-19-2008 00:53:06 | More by unclederby
DrDogbeer

4.47/5  rDev +12.6%

Thanks to Djeucalyptus for these! Poured from the can to a tulip. Fairly clear pale orange with a sticky, long lasting head. Lots of lacing. Fairly pungent resiny, piney aromas. Taste is very piney right away. Good hop bite and very crisp and clean feel. Just a great, easy drinking ipa- right up there with other great ones as far as drinkablity. Great beer!

11-23-2008 14:26:08 | More by DrDogbeer
brauseboof

South Carolina

4.47/5  rDev +12.6%

The first one poured with an incredibly large off white head with great retention. I was very careful the second time. Color was a hazy copper
Smelled of bubble gum and citrus.
Tastes like it smells, with a hint of lime. The grapefruit biterness kicks in at the end.
Well carbonated, smooth, nicely balanced between malt and hops.
A fine example of an American IPA. Highly recommended.

06-25-2010 00:07:19 | More by brauseboof
DIM

4.45/5  rDev +12.1%

a: This was a very pale, clear golden color. It was served to me with craggy, sticky head that stuck around for awhile.

s: Big piney hop nose with a little lemon.

t: This tasted very fresh. Sweet flavors of toffee and then a big piny hop blast at the end.

m: Fabulous carbonation, long lasting. Perfect.

d: One of the best IPAs I've tried. Great stuff.

10-07-2008 10:48:12 | More by DIM
webbcreative

Oklahoma

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured Cooper colored with withe 3 finger head.
S= sweet Carmel, citrus, piney, with nice hop aroma.
T=sweet Carmel, with big hop flavor and nice hop bite, sweet finsih with a long lingering bitterness, but not an overpower kind of bitter, it's pretty tame, it just there. Also some grapefruit flavor in there as well.
M=nice big full body, maybe even a little too much for an IPA, but I like it personally.

Overall, great IPA in my opinion, easily one of the top 5 IPAs that we get I'n the state, although, I'm not sure I'd that's exactly a complent to he beer, or a knock on my state....at any rate, I will be buying this like nobody business.

Thanks caldera for coming to oklahoma!

08-10-2009 02:04:19 | More by webbcreative
trevorjn06

Washington

4.45/5  rDev +12.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This IPA pours a clear amber/orange with one finger of foam that dissipates quickly.

Aroma is hops, floral and citrusy, with a nice roasted/toasted malt backbone. I pick up grapefruit, flowers, a touch of herbs and grass and a bit of musk smell that I associate with Columbus hops, a nice fresh hop aroma. The malt has a very noticeable toasted/biscuit note, much more up front than many IPAs.

Taste is quite smooth overall, the biscuity malt balances nicely with the hop bitterness. It starts with light malt, a tad toasted with a noticeable hop bitterness, this transitions into a brighter, more hop focused flavor. The finish is remnants of biscuity malts and some hop bitterness and citrus. Overall, even a minute after I take a sip, the toasty malt is the dominant flavor on the finish. Quite nice.

Mouthfeel is medium to thick with moderate carbonation.

Overall I very much enjoyed this beer, a big IPA with a strong malt base yet substantial hop flavor. This beer stands out to me among the Northwest IPAs I have tried, it has a very nice balance and a smooth flavor.

06-24-2010 02:40:53 | More by trevorjn06
btorsdog

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Found this on vacation at the piggly wiggly in Myrtle Beach, SC. What a pleasnt treat /suprise!Tasted great even right out of the can.Appeared to have a deep golden color kind of darkish. Smelled nice and hoppy and fruity small bit of floral.Taste was straight up IPA wich is a great thing in my book.Mouth was smooth and pleasant with a nice amount of hops bitterness.These babies have a drinkability that is very nice,went down real nice in the heat and the cans were a big plus for transportation.Wish this brew was around my area!!!!

07-17-2010 13:42:07 | More by btorsdog
cbak999

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A - pours an amber color with a two finder head that is retained for a good 5-10 minutes. The beer is almost as clear as a lager...not cloudy at all.

S - very strong citrus smells.

T - similar to the smells, the first predominant taste is citrusy. After that, you get a hint of caramel. Then the hops come through and leave a nice bitterness finish.

D - I love this IPA. It's one of my favorites! It's exactly how a west coast IPA should taste. The only issue could be a slight lack in carbonation.... But I find that true of most craft can beer I try.

09-16-2010 01:56:47 | More by cbak999