Caldera IPA - Caldera Brewing Company

Caldera IPACaldera IPA

Caldera Brewing Company visit their website
Oregon, United States

(Beer added by: Jason on 02-21-2005)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Caldera IPA Alström Bros
4.7/5  rDev +18.7%

Pours a brilliant, shimmering honey color. Very generous off white head, sticks around with good lacing.

Smells like im sticking my head in a barrel of fresh hops. very floral and earthy, some citrus. the hop presence in the smell of this beer is assertive and strong.

Taste gives way to fresh, juicy grapefruit and resinous pine. Extremely vibrant. Definitely hop forward, not a lot of malt to explore in this one.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied, carbonation is nice and moderate. Has a nice flowing, juicy feel to it in the mouth, I can tell this beer is very fresh.

Highly drinkable, I'll get right down to it and say this is an excellent IPA I could drink all evening. They did a great job on this beer, i'd consider it in the class of the best IPAs I've had.
This is also my introduction to craft beer in a can, very impressed all in all.

4.7/5  rDev +18.7%

picked up a six-pack because I have been hearing good things about this beer.

A- dont know much since I drank it out of the can.
T- Wow this stuff is great! the pine taste and citrus just explode in your mouth at the first drink.

Unfortunately only one store carries this in my area and it is a bit of a trip but well worth it for one of the best beers out of a can you ever had.

4.68/5  rDev +18.2%

A: Slightly hazy golden amber with a nice off-white head and moderate to heavy lacing.

S: Nice mix of mild citrus, pine and floral scents. Very mild malty sweet scent too.

T&M: Very well-balanced, medium bodied IPA. Mostly floral hops with a mild background of citrus and pine. Perfect mild malty sweetness that cancels out most hop bitterness, but leaves the best components of the hops.

This stuff is great for a canned beer. Period.
Easier to store in the fridge, lighter and really very good. Joe at Green's mentioned that it is similar to 'Two Hearted'. I agree that it is just as good, but a little hoppier with less malty sweetness. I need to try another to confirm, but at first try, it's a definite regular on my list. Way to go Caldera!

4.68/5  rDev +18.2%

Poured from a can to a pint glass.

A: Light rust orange copper color with a one-finger white yellowish hued head. Nice sticky lacing left behind on the edges of the glass.

S: Not a blast of hops on the nose as expected from a NW IPA but improves as it warms. Smelling of grapefruit, oranges & a smell ever so familiar to when I lived in Eugene (Ganja).

T: Amazing flavor! Starts out off-dry kind of sweet, then BAM the hops hit! Very nice bitterness with pine & citrus flavors & a little bit of that Ganja flavor from the nose. Finishes with some caramel & great bitterness.

M: Medium-full bodied, with a nice refreshing crispness.

D: Very drinkable IPA, always a go to favorite since I love the bitterness it provides!

4.68/5  rDev +18.2%

Appearance-Deep amber orange color and quite clear of any sediment. A foamy two finger head with excellent retention and sticky lacing.

Smell- Rich Orange and Grapefruit hops coming through strong

Taste-Smoothly bitter hops with lots of interesting citrus. A perfect balance between a huge hop presence and a stout backbone of malt flavors. A long pleasantly bitter aftertaste that I will hopefully still be tasting tomorrow.

Mouthfeel- Moderately carbonated with a sticky presence of hops. Quite palate filling.

Drinkability-Smooth and delicious with a huge flavor profile. I want more, more, more!

4.64/5  rDev +17.2%

4.63/5  rDev +16.9%

Picked up a 6er of this, cool lookin can! On sale for 8.99 I believe. Normal is 10 bucks I believe. Poured into a frozen pint glass right from the fridge.

A- Pours an orange dark straw color. Good lookin'! LACING is great in this beer! O so sticky!

S- HOPS HOPS and more fresh picked fruity HOPS. From past experience with this beer I know everything improves as it warms up. Very beer-like smell. Also lots of grain as well. Great smell

T- Starts with a very short great malt and grain taste then right into a delicious fresh hop flavor that reminds me of the smell of picking a ripe hop bud right off the bine! Lasts for some good time. I dare say the most profound fresh hop flavor I've ever tasted in a IPA, it literally tastes like you put some hops in your mouth and started chewing it up and its great. Very full flavored.

M- Medium, not too light but not heavy.

O- A great IPA, I am not the biggest fan of piney IPAs but this one has just a touch of it then followed by fruity hops (my preference). A for sure thumbs up from me. Darn near my most fav IPA. Pick some up, you will enjoy if your an IPA fan.

4.6/5  rDev +16.2%

Caldera IPA pours a slightly hazy golden-amber with half-inch thick, foamy head that is not going anywhere. It has the most serious lacing I've witnessed and my pint glass is coated up to the top. Smell is a grassy and citrus burst, lemons. The taste is very smooth up front with a bite at the end. It has that grapefruit sourness; a nice blend of hops and subtle malts. Slight carbonation and a very easy mouthfeel for this IPA, not heavy at all. This brew should be a top contender in the IPA market if it is not already and it is one of my favorites ever since it was recommended to me. Shout outs to Whole Foods Plymouth Meeting.

12oz can -> nondescript pint

A ~ Steady pour reveals very red body with pretty good sized head. Stickyyy lacing. Appearance is not the highlight of this brew though.

S ~ Perfumey Pine cone & Citrus (Grapefruit and Tangerine)
Grassy as hell, smells wet and fresh.

T ~ Bittersweet is a good word. Grapefruit, heavy pinetrees, kiwi, kumquat, lemon, grainy tree sap, and tea leaves. There is a sugary sweetness in there, but the woody dry hopping curbs it. Subtly malted.

M ~ Good showcase of Good American hops, with a curious sweetness and a very dry finish. Screams for you to drink more. I believe I downed this one in 3 minutes it was that incredible.

D ~ So damn drinkable, shame it's As much as it is in OK. This is a very unique IPA and is a must try. Could drink ALL day.

4.6/5  rDev +16.2%

a- pours a light orange amber color with a great off white head. it left some heavy lacing along the side of the glass and showed good retention.

s- massive acidic citrus; orange, mango, grapefruit. a robust bouquet of hop aroma with the citrus leading, a heavy floral influence with a bit of pine in there too

t-the citrus is front and center just as in the aroma but it has a much bigger pine influence with a distinctive heavy amount of Simcoe hops. the finish is moderately-highly bitter with a bit of breadiness.

m- medium bodied. a bit low on the carbonation for the style. a good bit of dryness in the finish.

d- a great beer that keeps you reaching for the glass. I definitely need to get more of this stuff. with no alcohol to be found in the taste it would be exceptionally easy to drink a fair share of these.

4.55/5  rDev +14.9%

The beer pours a nice yellow-orange, with a thick white head. Looks delish. Maybe its my nose, but I don't detect too much - citrusy hops with a pine undergirding. But the taste is exceptional. Wonderfully bright hops and a satisfying malt backbone. But like most west coast ipas, this is not balanced...thankfully. A hops explosion of grapefruit, spice, and pine. Awesome. This is the best IPA i've had in a can...and one of the better ones around PERIOD. Check this one out.

4.55/5  rDev +14.9%

The whole canned microbrew thing is really taking off. With Surly, Caldera, and others now proving that canned beer can be as good or better than bottles, I tihnk in another 5 years the market will explode.

Brick/rusty orange flows into my pint glass from the brightly designed can. Smaller head, though the lacing sticks to the side of my glass with tenacity.

Aroma is a bit weak compared to other PacNW IPA's. However, after the brew warmed up a bit, there was a noticable improvement in the strength. Noticed hops of course. More sweet florals that other IPAs. Grapefruit, lemon, cannabis.

Flavor was superb. For the first second, I notice a sweet smoothness. Then the hops set in and I am awash in bitter pine and citrus. Again, cannabis notes as well. The finish has caramel and bitter earthen/soil characteristics.

I really like this one, and get no metallic or other "can"-like flavors. (not that I expected to). I've got a 6-pack, and I would like to drink at leas tone straight from the can, it seems like the thing to do.

4.55/5  rDev +14.9%

So...not only does ThirstyHopHead agree to send me two bottles of the 2008 Abyss in a recent trade, but he drops three beers I've never heard of in as extras. Including Caldera IPA. Not only never heard of the brew, no clue the brewery even existed.

The pour is the initial use of a Flying Fish glass that marcpal sent me recently. Clearly he read my mind about the need for smaller glasses in the house. Thanks Marc!

The 12 oz. goes into the tulip with about an ounce or so to spare. The smell knocks me for a loop, a bitter, disgusted, angry, fucked-up hophead's dream searing my nostrils. I was kind of looking at this as a nice, gentle way to start off the night. What did I get myself into?

Ah, I see. I got myself into a kick-ass IPA I've never heard of before. The taste is aggressively hopped, pleasantly oily, bitter, sharp, clean, & all the things a good IPA claims to be. Wow. First-class IPA. Really, really good.

I could drink these all night.

Thanks Mr. Hophead, I am going to put this on my wants list hoping people will drop a can or two in as extras. The only thing preventing me from trading for it is the existence of a local brew, Surly Furious, maybe you've heard of it. This is...almost...no. I can't even type it. It's close. Great beer.

4.53/5  rDev +14.4%

One of the best IPAs from Oregon (which is saying a lot).

$2 for a 12-oz. can at Full Throttle Bottle in south Seattle--and worth every penny.

Great head on this rosy-orange colored beer. It lets off a strong and unmistakable lychee aroma, which I've smelled on all three separate occasions I've tasted it so far. Flavor has the same lychee up front, with piney/resiny hops backing it up. Carbonation is good and the finish is pleasantly bitter that doesn't linger over-long.

All in all, one great IPA and probably the best thing I've ever drunk out of a can.

4.53/5  rDev +14.4%

Pours a clear burned orange with a creamy head that dies somewhat quickly and little to no lacing. Smells like a hop bomb with strong citrus, rind and a tiny bit of floral. Blows away your taste buds with hops and a bite of citrus. The balance isnt as great as it could be but this sure is tasty, especially if you are a hop head. Finishes wonderfully dry and bitter but doesnt linger too long on the tongue. Carbonation is perfect. A very drinkable and delicious IPA....and from a can no less.

4.53/5  rDev +14.4%

A - Pours a nice clear copper hue with 1 finger off white bubbly head. Good carbonation coming up.

S - All citrus and pine hops initially, mostly pine. After the initial aroma, the malt base comes through more. Mostly caramel malts.

T - Pine and citrus tastes follow the aroma. Caramel malt flavor is very prominent. First few sips are mostly bitter, but as I keep tasting it, the malt is coming through more and more. Very rich malt flavor with the pine and citrus notes balancing it perfectly. Flavor is much more complex than I was anticipating.

M - Medium bodied, very good carbonation. Not as oily as most IPAs. Finish is bitter and citrus.

D - Great drinkability. Very well rounded and a very smooth malt base to make this one extremely easy to drink.

4.5/5  rDev +13.6%

Appears semi haze copper orange body glows when held to the light, large bubbled off white head clings to my pint with thick chunky even lacing between each sip. Aroma is chalk full of hops grapefruit, floral, and piney varieties blend wonderfully tickle the nose with citrus peel like fury. As it warms more of a complex earthiness with mild tree bark notes ring out but underneath all those hops a subtle layer of malt sugars arise bringing out sweet candy like notes. Flavor is upfront with brash bitterness yet enough malt sweetness comes out to party, this is west coast style IPA all the way. Hop bitterness reigns supreme with grapefruit citrus peel bitterness and more of that earthy dirt layer coming through. Mouthfeel the hop bitterness consumes your palate it really sticks around it makes you feel like you have to scrape the hops off your tongue, I love it. Once again I love the can format, this is great to get this much hop flavor out of a near 6%abv brew coming right out of a can. Next time I hit up an outdoor event where drinking takes place I will remember this beer and wish I had at least a case on hand. Very green yet biscuit malts and mild caramel twang make so drinkable the palate gets used to those brash bittering hops and adjusts to all the other flavors my palate has a found it's equilibrium and no shit this is an outstanding IPA in a can. Hoppier than Gordon DIPA.

Caldera IPA from Caldera Brewing Company