Caldera IPA | Caldera Brewing Company

Style: American IPA

Added by Jason on 02-21-2005

Reviews: 503 | Ratings: 1,235
4.38/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Acquired from Tiklmelmo courtesy of the Hometown BIF, so a big "Thank You" goes out to him. Poured from a 12oz can into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a light golden brown color, with a large off-white head that fades slowly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma contains floral hops, fruity citrus and caramelized malts.

T: The taste starts out sweet with flavors of citrus and caramel that are quickly followed by strong but not over-powering and very complementary hops bitterness. The malt character is hearty but not too heavy and provides a very good balance. The after-taste is slightly sweet and slightly hoppy.

M: Smooth and crisp, medium body, medium carbonation, finish is clean and dry.

D: Very tasty, goes down quite easily, not too filling, decent kick, very good representation of style, this is a very solid IPA that is worth drinking for a long time.

2.83/5  rDev -28.5%

First had: Philly Beer Scene Tasting panel with Matt Falco at Victory Brewing Company, Downingtown, PA

I was privileged enough to be on the tasting panel for PBS Magazine, along with Bill Covaleski of Victory and Greg Ramirez of Exton Beverage. This was one of 21 beers we sampled during the session.

Clear orange-copper pour with a thin layer of bubbles for a head. Aroma of citrus and leafy hops, light pale malts. Taste reflects the nose: solid malt base, leafy hops, light and tea-like; pretty basic, but not as flavorful as I like my AIPAs. Advertised as being "brewed with plenty of body." Well, something must've happened between then and now, because the body on this was very light, kind of watery in the mouthfeel. Crisp and fairly refreshing, but lacking in most vital areas that make for a good beer.

3.74/5  rDev -5.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Served in a Lagunitas mason jar.

Gotta love the sorta Macedonian flag thing they've got going on behind the cauldron, eh? Anyway, this stuff pours a clear brass-amber topped by a finger of lightly off-white foam. The nose comprises biscuit, very light caramel, pine resin, light leek, and a nice helping of flowers. The taste brings in more of the same, the pine (now a touch earthier) and the caramel-y biscuit balanced very nicely, while still allowing the hops to have their full say. The body is a light medium, with a light moderate carbonation and drying finish. Overall, a nice IPA, one that shows that even the West Coast knows how to balance an IPA.

4.13/5  rDev +4.3%

I had this at Arena's Cafe in Rehoboth Beach, DE. Poured from the chilled can into a pint glass.

A - A medium copper-like peach tea shade w/ a proud 3 fingers of cream, rocky headed w/ very fine bead and good lacing.

S - A crisp, tropical hop odor w/ a pine and pineapple(orange according to octopus87)aroma w/ hints of light apricot and grapefruit in the nose w/ mild pepper.

M - A crisp, juicy and mild sweet feel w/ a moderate carbonation level. Medium bitterness and slight spiciness w/ a resinous accent and residual bitterness in the finish

T - The taste is smooth w/ a spiced hop flavor that is fruity w/ hints of pineapple, mango and orange zest. There is a malt backbone that anchors the flavor w/ mild grain and sweetness in the taste. There are flavors that remind of peach w/ a slight spicy pepper mellow flavor. The beer creates nice hop burps as I near the end of the glass which can only mean I was refreshed by the taste.

D - I found this to be a very drinkable ale, a fine IPA w/ out any 'hop assault', but hoppy enough to satisfy your average hop fan. Still bitter flavored and refreshing -an almost "must try" IMO.

3.99/5  rDev +0.8%

part of my liquid solutions order, a late x-mas gift to me, from me!

Pours an effervescent amber with 3 fingers of fluffed up cream colored head. Above average lacing & superior head retention

S: Much grapefruit & some pine hops

T: Biscuitty malt, a touch of honey, then lemony hops & finally a wave of grapefruit hops up front. Bready notes, caramel, & then more grapefruit as this warms. Finishes a little dry, with more grapefruitty hops, & a bit of honey malt. Almost gave this a 4.5

MF: Pretty smooth with some chewyness & excellent carbonation & balance

Drinks pretty easy, nice to find another great canned beer out there! Good AIPA

A: Pours a crystal clear golden amber to copper in color with some light visible carbonation close to the surface of the beer. The beer has a finger tall beige head that reduces to a thin film covering the entire surface of the beer, a thick patch, and a thick ring at the edges of the glass. Significant lacing is observed.

S: Some sweet malt notes that hint at caramel and honey. There is a mixture of tropical (mango and peach) and citrus/orange hops. Maybe just the slightest hint of pine hops as well.

T: There is a pretty solid hop bitterness that is reminiscent of biting into an orange peel. There is a nice malty sweetness upfront with hints of caramel and some honey-like notes. Then the hop flavors take over, there is a pleasant fruitiness with hints of pineapple and mango as well as just a little bit of orange.

M: Medium bodied with moderate amounts of carbonation. Crisp and almost creamy.

O: I really enjoyed this one and found both the smell and taste to be quite interesting. I think that you could easily have a couple of these in a sitting. I would like to get this one another time.

4.12/5  rDev +4%

I made sure I picked this up after seeing it since I felt like I may have had an older can when I first tried it. But let's get down to it. Love the nose; just pops and carries great hop tones. Very alive. The flavor profile is good. Lots of malts, yes. But the hops really step in there and contribute appropriately. Has a nice vibrant tone to it. I like it. Nice IPA in a can and a good beer overall.

4.5/5  rDev +13.6%

Appears semi haze copper orange body glows when held to the light, large bubbled off white head clings to my pint with thick chunky even lacing between each sip. Aroma is chalk full of hops grapefruit, floral, and piney varieties blend wonderfully tickle the nose with citrus peel like fury. As it warms more of a complex earthiness with mild tree bark notes ring out but underneath all those hops a subtle layer of malt sugars arise bringing out sweet candy like notes. Flavor is upfront with brash bitterness yet enough malt sweetness comes out to party, this is west coast style IPA all the way. Hop bitterness reigns supreme with grapefruit citrus peel bitterness and more of that earthy dirt layer coming through. Mouthfeel the hop bitterness consumes your palate it really sticks around it makes you feel like you have to scrape the hops off your tongue, I love it. Once again I love the can format, this is great to get this much hop flavor out of a near 6%abv brew coming right out of a can. Next time I hit up an outdoor event where drinking takes place I will remember this beer and wish I had at least a case on hand. Very green yet biscuit malts and mild caramel twang make so drinkable the palate gets used to those brash bittering hops and adjusts to all the other flavors my palate has a found it's equilibrium and no shit this is an outstanding IPA in a can. Hoppier than Gordon DIPA.

Review from notes.

A: Pours a copper.amber color with a small off-white head with decent retention. Sticky lacing forms up the sides.

S: Strong aroma, lots of pine and citrus fruits, mostly grapefruit. A little bit of caramel malt.

T: Very nice tasting IPA. Similar to the aroma in that there is a lot of citrus fruit and pine going on. There is a bit of biscuity malt underneath the hops and some caramel on the finish.

M: Medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Not overly bitter, pretty smooth.

O: An easy drinking IPA, solid flavor profile.

4.25/5  rDev +7.3%

Pours copper with a rich off-white head. Trailing lace nearly covers the glass.

The smell is of pine, herbal spicing, some medicinal notes, perfumy, with orange and grapefruit. A nice, complex hop aroma!

The taste is of an herbal, aspirin-ish, bitterness with grapefruit and orange. Alcohol comes through in a peppery way. Slight metallic (steely) notes accompany the caramel backing.

Medium-bodied.

This is a nicely done, hoppy IPA, even for the style, with a solid caramel backing. Despite slight metallic/steely notes and slight show of the abv, this one disappears "too" quickly and is certainly worth seeking out if you're a follower of the hops! A nice IPA in a can - I'm a happy man!

4.84/5  rDev +22.2%

CAN you dig how phenomenal the CANQuest has become? I am trading and/or getting CANs from everywhere! I CAN hardly believe it myself.

Whoops! I already drank one of my three this morning before even writing anything down. My notes for Ashland Amber included commentary on the CAN itself, including verbiage and mention of CAN-conditioning. This, however, was a visually appealing CAN with vibrant color reproduction and a green pop-tab. My buds at that stoner joint, Roots (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/10996/?view=beerfly), would fully dig this CAN. Hey, before anybody gets their panties in a bunch, a) I kid and b) I CAN pass a urinalysis standing on my head. I dig beer, you dig? Plus, that place has a really smoky vibe and I am sure that they would not be particularly offended. Onward.

Both times, my pour has begun with a finger of ecru head which has simply sat down, leaving sticky Belgian lacing in its wake. The nose is forest hops - pine, green, earthy, sticky, massive. Sweet hops the hope of my life - once again, that damned howling monkey shut up and climbed off of my back for the moment. I am on the waiting list for hops rehab but it's a long list and I may not last that long. Thank Bob for hops!

It now becomes a simple matter of drawing some of this delectable beverage into a syringe through a needle and jamming said needle into one of the few remaining viable veins. No heating necessary. Cold fusion is more satisfactory, anyway. Once I untie my rubber hose, the euphoric quality begins to set in. I am one with the Beeriverse. My existance is justified. I'm not just a simple Hophead. I am a HopJunkie and an unapologetic one, at that. My licking the lacing out of the glass is starting to draw stares from the nieghbors. So what?!? The heck with them! This is my scene, man, and don't mess with me while I'm digging it. Find your own scene and report back.

Man, how do I convey veinfeel over mouthfeel? It was righteous! Full, sticky, veinous (not vinous), right on, baby! Finish was hoppy, sticky, yummy, the EMTs are trying to restart my heart, man. Zounds!

Where am I? Was this a review? Wow, man. What a groovy trip. Did you dig the scene too, or was it just me? I gotta get in the shower, man. I'll try anything once.

4.2/5  rDev +6.1%

Pours a hazy orangish amber with 1/4" of dense, foamy, white head that has great retention. The nose has notes of bready malt, pineapple, and grapefruit with a faint flora aroma. The taste is bready and malty up front with a nice blend of hop characters ranging from pineapple, grapefruit-citrus, and faint pine. The flavors are very well blended. The mouthfeel is medium bodied, well carbonated, and very refreshing.

This is delicious and very easily drinkable. I could put away a lot of these especially since the bitterness from the hops isn't overpowering like in some IPAs so no diminishing returns here.

3.18/5  rDev -19.7%

12 oz. canned poured into a pint glass.

Appearance - Dark gold to light amber body with a substantial white head. The foam sticks to the glass and the lacing is decent.

Smell - I get hops, some grapefruit and some pine. It's more of a biscuit malt aroma, though. Kinda smells like an ESB.

Taste - Hops at first, more pine in the flavor than in the smell. Malty behind it. Biscuit malts and a touch of caramel. Not sweet at all, but malty nonetheless. Tastes like an ESB, too.

Mouthfeel - Just a tad heavier than medium bodied. Feels heavier because of low carbonation. Has the feel of an ESB, too!

Overall - Not as hoppy as I would like from an IPA. Better than the other Caldera beer I've had, though. Not something I'd look for.

4.23/5  rDev +6.8%

Poured from a can into a standard pint glass. Beer is orange and clear. Tight white head forms and when it falls away leaves lacing on the glass. Carbonation is medium.

Aroma is good but pretty simple. It is piney hop aroma and not much else, I may detect a little sweetness. It is attractive.

Clean drinking beer, good bitterness all at the back finishes nearly completely. I would describe this as well balanced. As you drink it the aftertaste builds on you slightly, still a very drinkable beer. Body is medium, which is fine. I like this IPA.

3.52/5  rDev -11.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Pours a pretty dark woody amber, just under an inch of tan head.

Smells of sticky sweet pine, fairly heavy on the malt, some sweet stone fruit or maybe light strawberry or something. Smells good but maltier than I'd like.

Taste is more bitter than I expected from the nose, good dose of pine, some light fruitiness again that's hard to place. Pretty heavy on malt again but much more balanced by bitterness than it smelled. Actually more malty than sweet really.

Fairly thick body, more than I usually like in IPAs, but good carbonation too that keeps it from being syrupy or cloying. Solid.

Solid ipa, maltier than I like my IPAs but pretty balanced and drinkable, a good option for a six pack for a party or something.

7.1/10

4.3/5  rDev +8.6%

The beer pours a hazy dark golden/amber color with a thick frothy white head that slowly fades to lacing. The aroma is good. It has a nice pale and Carapils scent along with a huge citrus hop aroma. There is a light breadiness as well. The taste is very good. It's light with a damn bitter hop taste. It's loaded with citrus goodness. The malt bill provides some balance, but this is a hop heavy beer. The mouthfeel is fine. It is a medium bodied beer with adequate carbonation. This is a great session IPA. It refreshingly hoppy and easily drinkable.

Thanks to 5000 for sending this can my way.

The beer pours a dark amber color with a white head. Darker than expected. The aroma is very nice. I get a lot of grapefruit and pine notes.

The flavor is similar. The predominant flavor is some resiny pine from the hops but I also get some grapefruit. The toffee and caramel malt backbone balance out the beer nicely and keep the bitterness level fairly low for a west coast IPA.

Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation. Very nice.

3.63/5  rDev -8.3%

Picked up a 6-pack at State Line in Maryland. Poured a golden amber with a good white head. This beer reminds me of Dale's Pale Ale, and not because of the can. There's a big punch of citrus and pine hops that's met (more so here than with Dale's) by a hit of caramel malt. Very drinkable and a tasty, more balanced IPA.

3.58/5  rDev -9.6%

My thirst is getting to me, so why not an IPA to quench it? On to the beer:

It's all good in looks; dense head, iron orange color in my glass, good retention. The nose is the expected NW IPA dose of lychee, grapefruit, and pine sap. As suggested the nose, this IPA goes towards the "dirty hop" side. Big smack of grapefruit, pine, lingering hop bitterness on the palate, and a hint of orange. The aftertaste of sap lingers softly. The beer has a smooth body with carbonation that doesn't seem like it's there. In all respects, a respectable IPA.

4.1/5  rDev +3.5%

12oz CAN into a regular kitchen glass, looking forward to this one.

Caldera IPA boasts a kinda bright orange with some shiny bronze shades within. A clean looking beer with no haze at all. Two fingaz worth of off white foam that is quite creamy looking and condensed. A bunch of lace on the glass.

The hops take up most of the nose with a big grapefruit bite and some pale malts to back it up with a sweet scent, slight caramel. Not very bold but smells like the makings of a decent IPA.

Tropical fruit on top of a nice malty layer. Grapefruit, pineapple, others, some bisquit giving malt. I'm really liking the balance on this, it's pretty much even. Some grassy earth towards the end. This really reminds me of Lagunitas IPA.

The feel is smooth and a bit bitter, but nothing too much. Carb is just right not very high or overly crisp, I could drink this all day.

3.7/5  rDev -6.6%

A decent pour from the can produces an almost three-finger thick, light tan colored head in my large Tripel Karmeliet tulip. The beer is a light amber color, but shows a brilliantly clear, orange / red tinged, full copper hue when held up to the light. The aroma is definitely hoppy, though not aggressively so, there is also a fair amount of malt character that accentuates a sticky hop character. Aromas of candied orange zest, ruby red grapefruit, caramelized oranges, some touches of pine and green herbal notes and, towards the finish, a touch of cracker like grain and lightly toasted malt.

Slightly sweet, somewhat light bodied, but definitely hoppy. A nice bitterness clings to the palate and lingers for quite some time in a long, bitter, dry finish. Up front the bitterness takes on a decidedly herbal note with touches of hemp, biting pine flavors and a bit of herbal / green-grassy notes. This is definitely nice and quaffable, it is not overly sweet nor thick for an IPA, though the hop character definitely tends to cling to the palate. The first sips, as well as sips where I have gone and done something else for a while, have a much more prominent citrus hop character (with orange zest, grapefruit notes, kumquat and perhaps a touch of lychee); otherwise the herbal and bitter hop flavors dominate.

The flavor is much more harsh and aggressive than the aroma suggested, but it will certainly still be enjoyable for the hop heads out there. A solid IPA, that could actually use a touch more malt, or to dial back the herbal and bitter hop character.

Purchased: Liquid Solutions

3.75/5  rDev -5.3%

12 oz. can,

A: Pours amber, nice finger sized white head, good head retention, solid lace, nice look all around.

S: Oranges/Simcoe, tropical fruit, pine, a very pretty smell, but understated, could be great.

T: Heavy citrus dominates - orange, tangerine, grapefruit, pine in the finish. Like the Pale, the malt is very light, I like the hop profile a lot more in this one as compared to the Pale.

M: Soft carbonation - perhaps from the can, medium-bodied.

D: Pretty standard Northwest IPA, a fine drinking beer, not going to wow you.

3.6/5  rDev -9.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

12oz can picked up today at the COOP... poured into my Delirium goblet... nice eggshell white head atop a crystal clear lite amber brew.. good lacing..

Nose is pretty fresh smelling CCC hops... pale malts and a very minor caramel is way in the background.

Flavor has a fair amount of toasty malts with it.. the hops are mainly in the front with bittering and more in then in the back close toward the finish with some pithy citrus skin... mid-palate is more about the malts.. toasty with minor some lesser caramel.. mouthfeel is a tad heavier than expected.. sorta full with a good carbonation that still leans toward the creamy side of things.

A good IPA that I think is very drinkable, but seems to not find a real identity in the traditional American IPA style.. don't get me wrong, this is a pretty nice beer.. but the maltiness seems a tad high and maybe too pronounced with toastiness and caramel.

3.5/3.5/3.5/3.5/4

4.33/5  rDev +9.3%

Pours a very nice golden orange color, nice carbonation, nice creamy one-finger plus off-white head, lots of nice small islands and sticky lacing follows. The nose is malty, big hop note, citrus/pines, and caramel. The taste is very nice, malty, hoppy, with some nice citrus/pine tones, with some caramel thrown in. Medium body. Very drinkable, this is a very solid IPA (in a can too), definitely recommended.

3.7/5  rDev -6.6%

12Oz can purchased from 'Beers of Europe' here in the UK. Poured the beer into a 'Hoegaarden' Grand Cru glass.

looked good, huge cream coloured head sat on top of a dull, hazy, dark amber/orange body. The head produced some heavy lacing and tried to stay throughout the tasting.

The nose was of yeasts and hops along with some grain type esters.

The hops from the aroma take over the taste completely, a real bitterness hits the mouth and throat. Why do they (or is it you?) have to over hop everything in the US when they brew an IPA? There really is no need to do so. It isn't as bad (hop wise) as some I've reviewed, but still too hoppy for my tender tastebuds.

It is true to the American IPA style and I think one of the better examples I've had (I am not a huge fan of the style though).

Caldera IPA from Caldera Brewing Company