Caldera IPA - Caldera Brewing Company

Caldera IPACaldera IPA

Caldera Brewing Company visit their website
Oregon, United States

Beer added by: Jason on 02-21-2005

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Caldera IPA Alström Bros
Reviews: 496 | Hads: 1,204
4.11/5  rDev +3.8%

A: Yellow and clear. Nice 1 finger white head.
S: Not much here. Slight Cascade hops and malt. I was a bit disappointed at first because the smell was unimpressive.
T: A nice mix of the C hops. This gives a mouth full of bitter grapefruit and citrus.
M: Very bitter, just like it should be. It is also quite crisp, which makes for a refreshing IPA. No alcohol burn at all.
D: This is an excellent easy drinking IPA. I wish the aroma was a little more hoppy, but overall I enjoyed the brew. I am happy to find this on the shelves at my local craft beer store.

3.6/5  rDev -9.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

12oz can picked up today at the COOP... poured into my Delirium goblet... nice eggshell white head atop a crystal clear lite amber brew.. good lacing..

Nose is pretty fresh smelling CCC hops... pale malts and a very minor caramel is way in the background.

Flavor has a fair amount of toasty malts with it.. the hops are mainly in the front with bittering and more in then in the back close toward the finish with some pithy citrus skin... mid-palate is more about the malts.. toasty with minor some lesser caramel.. mouthfeel is a tad heavier than expected.. sorta full with a good carbonation that still leans toward the creamy side of things.

A good IPA that I think is very drinkable, but seems to not find a real identity in the traditional American IPA style.. don't get me wrong, this is a pretty nice beer.. but the maltiness seems a tad high and maybe too pronounced with toastiness and caramel.

3.68/5  rDev -7.1%

Didn't really think much of other Caldera brews I've had, but heard good things about this one and thought it would be worth a try.

Pours a nice, slightly hazy, toasted ruby-brown color. There's visible carbonation running throughout, feeding a short, well-retained white head. There's a tremendous amount of sticky white lace that marbles the sides of the glass without any signs of fading.

Smell is all hops - aromas of grapefruit rind and earthy, musky hops come through. There's only the slightest indication of sweetness from the malts.

Taste definitely reflects the largely hop-forwardness of the aroma. The bitter citrus rind presence in most detectable in the aftertaste, and a hint of the piney, oily sticky hops hits the tongue early on. There is more of a malt foundation in the taste, but it is hardly sweet - more toasty, full and warm. The aftertaste is really nice; it makes me want to wait between sips to enjoy it a little more. Feel is bright and perfectly carbonated - not too much and not too little. It fills the mouth and spreads the flavors around the palate very well.

This is one highly drinkable beer. I was tempted to drink it from the can because you don't see that all that often with crafts. I went for the glass, and enjoyed every last drop. Definitely recommended for a try. It is a solid, everyday IPA.

3.33/5  rDev -15.9%

Always interested in a can.

Appearance - A deep copper/amber color. Very clear. Half inch of white soapy head. Laces well.

Smell - Some grapefruit hops, with a touch of pine. Also a little sweet malt. The hops are a little subdued.

Taste - Follows the smell. There is some nice hops up front, but the malt really comes through at the end. There is a real sweetness, and a little burnt maltiness on the finish.

Mouthfeel - A little on the thin side. Nice carbonation.

Drinkability - Pretty decent, it's a nice beer, but nothing special.

This is a maltier "east coast" style ipa. It's a pretty good beer, but not necessarily my favorite.

4.84/5  rDev +22.2%

CAN you dig how phenomenal the CANQuest has become? I am trading and/or getting CANs from everywhere! I CAN hardly believe it myself.

Whoops! I already drank one of my three this morning before even writing anything down. My notes for Ashland Amber included commentary on the CAN itself, including verbiage and mention of CAN-conditioning. This, however, was a visually appealing CAN with vibrant color reproduction and a green pop-tab. My buds at that stoner joint, Roots (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/10996/?view=beerfly), would fully dig this CAN. Hey, before anybody gets their panties in a bunch, a) I kid and b) I CAN pass a urinalysis standing on my head. I dig beer, you dig? Plus, that place has a really smoky vibe and I am sure that they would not be particularly offended. Onward.

Both times, my pour has begun with a finger of ecru head which has simply sat down, leaving sticky Belgian lacing in its wake. The nose is forest hops - pine, green, earthy, sticky, massive. Sweet hops the hope of my life - once again, that damned howling monkey shut up and climbed off of my back for the moment. I am on the waiting list for hops rehab but it's a long list and I may not last that long. Thank Bob for hops!

It now becomes a simple matter of drawing some of this delectable beverage into a syringe through a needle and jamming said needle into one of the few remaining viable veins. No heating necessary. Cold fusion is more satisfactory, anyway. Once I untie my rubber hose, the euphoric quality begins to set in. I am one with the Beeriverse. My existance is justified. I'm not just a simple Hophead. I am a HopJunkie and an unapologetic one, at that. My licking the lacing out of the glass is starting to draw stares from the nieghbors. So what?!? The heck with them! This is my scene, man, and don't mess with me while I'm digging it. Find your own scene and report back.

Man, how do I convey veinfeel over mouthfeel? It was righteous! Full, sticky, veinous (not vinous), right on, baby! Finish was hoppy, sticky, yummy, the EMTs are trying to restart my heart, man. Zounds!

Where am I? Was this a review? Wow, man. What a groovy trip. Did you dig the scene too, or was it just me? I gotta get in the shower, man. I'll try anything once.

A - Pours a nice amber color with a average cream head with some lacing.

S - Nice Pine and Grapefruit hops but also some sweet malt on the end.

T - Flavor was thinner than some IPA's but still nice with the Pine and Citrus, nice malt finish.

M - Nice IPA medium body with a average carbonation. Smooth feel.

D - Pretty Good. The best canned IPA I have had so far. I am sure it will be great this coming summer on a canoe trip. Like the can, easy to carry.

3.73/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a standard pint glass at about 40-45 degrees.

Shows an orange-like copper in the pint with a nice white froth. Citrus and pine hops jump out of the glass with orange, lime, dried apricot, subtle peach (I know...it's weird, but that's what I got), pine, and easy hop leaves followed by a clear caramel, biscuit, and a touch of cereal grains. On the palate, there is a medium hop bitterness that shows fron the beginning through the finish that is smooth, but a little lean and kind of weak for an IPA. Although the beer is very smooth, balanced, and easy to drink, I was looking for more of a hop presence from this beer (being that's it's a west coast style IPA). Overall, it's a solid IPA that is very easy to drink, but one that left me looking for more.

3.53/5  rDev -10.9%

Super clear orange body with a frothy sticky head that lasts the whole beer, very impressive appearance. Smells sweet, pine, citrus, biscuity, earthy. Taste is very malty with very little bitterness which i was not expecting as this is an IPA and should have more hop profile the taste. A little too malty for my liking.

A: A light orange gold, with modest tightly knit bit of head that stays.

S: Nice piney, grapefruit and citrus, hint of biscuity malts

T: First flavors are a strong, piney, grapefruit bite, with a tad of crystalish malts barely balancing it out, then a bitter finish of resinous west coast hops.

M: Medium bodied, average carbonation, slightly sticky, cloying finish. maybe from the hops.

D: Decent drinkability, though I've had much more drinkable IPA's. Still a very delicious west coast IPA well worth the try. Just probably wouldn't make this session beer.

4.23/5  rDev +6.8%

Poured from a can into a standard pint glass. Beer is orange and clear. Tight white head forms and when it falls away leaves lacing on the glass. Carbonation is medium.

Aroma is good but pretty simple. It is piney hop aroma and not much else, I may detect a little sweetness. It is attractive.

Clean drinking beer, good bitterness all at the back finishes nearly completely. I would describe this as well balanced. As you drink it the aftertaste builds on you slightly, still a very drinkable beer. Body is medium, which is fine. I like this IPA.

3.78/5  rDev -4.5%

A - Pours a medium amber color with a 1-2 finger head with some lacing.

S - You get hit with the regular Pine and Citrus but also some sweet malt on the back end

T - Flavor was thinner than some IPA's but still nice with the Pine and Citrus, almost a little too much malt on the back end for me and not as smooth as I would have hoped.

M - Crisp IPA light/medium body with medium carbonation.

D - Pretty Good. The best canned IPA I have had, although it was my first canned IPA.

Next time I think I would rather have two Pliny's to a six pack of this.

Can from K&L Redwood City.

A - Pours a bright medium amber color with a two-finger, lasting off-white head and good lacing.

S - Aroma is piney and citrusy hops, a touch of sweet malt, and tropical fruits.

T - Flavor is a little pale and caramel malt, but mostly showcases a complex hop profile, with pine, pineapple, orange, and grapefruit. Pretty harshly bitter, although I like that of course.

M - Crisp palate with medium body and carbonation.

D - Solid. Overall this is the best canned IPA I've had after Surly Furious.

4.22/5  rDev +6.6%

Can from Brickskeller in Washington DC.

Pours a clear copper color with a one-finger off-white head. The head recedes into a patchy layer on top leaving solid lacing.

Smells of large citrus and leafy hop aromas with light amounts of pale and caramel malts.

Tastes similar to how it smells. A combination of pale and caramel malt flavors up front are soon overtaken by bright citrus hop and earthy leafy hop flavors. Near the end of the sip the malt flavors take over and have a grainy quality before giving way to a solidly bitter and crisp ending.

Mouthfeel is good. It has a solid thickness with moderate carbonation.

Drinkability is very good. I finished the can quickly and could easily have a few more.

Overall I'd been looking forward to trying this IPA for a while and it didn't disappoint. Well worth a shot.

4.35/5  rDev +9.8%

Appearance - This is a shiny bronze in color with a modest head that showed good retention and left some nice lattice work on the inside of my glass.

Smell - The hops are deep, rich, and complex here and quickly surpass the good malty base of this ale. There's a beautiful orange citrus here that isn't too sweet but more like the aroma of a fine orange liqueur. The stiff pine gives a contrasting compliment to the citrus and a bit of lemongrass to complete the puzzle.

Taste - The big malt base, almost like a DIPA, comes on much stronger at the taste and is amazingly able to hold its own against these huge, complex hops. The pine from the nose steps back a bit on the tongue but otherwise this ale tastes like it smells.

Mouthfeel - This is a solid medium-bodied with some large bitterness that is tempered by the light toffee sweetness of the malts. The carbonation is rightly light and overall this IPA has a terrific mouthfeel.

Drinkability - This is a big, complex IPA that seems like a double until you notice that the ABV is just slightly over 6%.

4.03/5  rDev +1.8%

Received this as an extra from adamharbaugh.

Poured into a perfect pint glass.

A: Very nice copper color with a big frothy head. Head retention is very good and the lacing is solid.

S: Heavy grapefruit and pine notes. Very fresh and pleasant.

T: The hops are very juicy and oily.

M: Very full and creamy, nothing harsh of note.

D: A very east to drink IPA that I could have more without a problem.

4.22/5  rDev +6.6%

12oz can poured into a pint glass

Pours a pretty amber-golden with a nice head a very pretty lacing. Smells delicious -- fresh and hoppy, citrus and floral and more hoppy.

Taste is some honey up front and floral throughout with a strong hoppy bitter aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied, very slightly filmy, very slightly sticky. Very drinkable. Very pleasant. Nice to have a good beer in a can for those occasions where you can't use glass.

3.98/5  rDev +0.5%

Thanks to Kegatron for hooking me up with a can of this.

A-Bright golden copper with a thick light tan/off-white head that reduced to a thin cap and left copious lace.

S-Sharp spicy citrus and pine hop aroma with a bit of apricot. Backed up with light sweet biscuit malt.

T-Spicy citrus hops with other tropical fruit notes. More assertive peppery bite lying on top of a nice bed of sweet biscuit malt.

M-Medium-light bodied, sharp and crisp with nice lingering spicy hop bite.

D-A hop forward, every day drinking IPA that has plenty of flavour to make you happy. Good job, could use a touch more citrus---->or maybe I need a fresher can? Will certainly visit again.

4.13/5  rDev +4.3%

I had this at Arena's Cafe in Rehoboth Beach, DE. Poured from the chilled can into a pint glass.

A - A medium copper-like peach tea shade w/ a proud 3 fingers of cream, rocky headed w/ very fine bead and good lacing.

S - A crisp, tropical hop odor w/ a pine and pineapple(orange according to octopus87)aroma w/ hints of light apricot and grapefruit in the nose w/ mild pepper.

M - A crisp, juicy and mild sweet feel w/ a moderate carbonation level. Medium bitterness and slight spiciness w/ a resinous accent and residual bitterness in the finish

T - The taste is smooth w/ a spiced hop flavor that is fruity w/ hints of pineapple, mango and orange zest. There is a malt backbone that anchors the flavor w/ mild grain and sweetness in the taste. There are flavors that remind of peach w/ a slight spicy pepper mellow flavor. The beer creates nice hop burps as I near the end of the glass which can only mean I was refreshed by the taste.

D - I found this to be a very drinkable ale, a fine IPA w/ out any 'hop assault', but hoppy enough to satisfy your average hop fan. Still bitter flavored and refreshing -an almost "must try" IMO.

3.92/5  rDev -1%

Suprised by the hoppy taste from this can.
Consumed at a bar called the Tin Can in St. Louis.

Citrus notes in the initial smell gives way to a hoppy and well carbonated first drink. I also pick up a little banana aroma.

I drank this brew straight from the can which probably didn't assist the experience but it us definitely a drinkable ipa. As previously stated it is quite hoppy for a can which is refreshing.

I am not able to get this at home so I am glad that I tried it.

4.12/5  rDev +4%

Served from a Trippy Graphic Yellow Can into a Sam Adams glass. No brewed on date. Purple ring around the top points out all the advantages cans have over glass for outdoor activity.

A - Medium copper, clear, not much carbonation present, head was small and disappears rather quickly.

S - Pale bready malt, citric hops. Not overpowering, but definitely there.

T - Citric hops beat out the malt from the get go. If you are a hop head, you will like this for just a "regular" IPA. Bitter in a good way.

MF - Light to medium bodied. Crisp. Dry. Very nice.

D - $8.99 per six'r = $1.50 per 12oz. Cans a 0.5 adder too. So very drinkable given the price, medium body, and can.

Overall - This is a great IPA can or not. Can doesn't give any residual metalic taste that I can pick up (when drinking from a glass). I will take this over a pour into a red plastic cup at the beach (I will test that theory tomorrow!)

Good one. Got to try others from Caldera.

3.62/5  rDev -8.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

a - pours a deep burnt orange color, two-finger off-white head with very good retention and lacing, almost perfectly clear

s - big amounts of lemony and tangerine citrus notes mixed with bready/grainy aromas

t - very well-balanced, much like the smell, lots of lemon and other citrus on the palate with a substantial amount of graininess for a backbone, pretty strong lasting bitterness on the finish

m - medium-bodied, moderate to high carbonation, very dry on the finish

d - the dryness of the finish is somewhat hard on the palate, but nothing that would limit a hophead, the real hit to drinkability comes from the lack of depth in flavor, this isn't a bad beer, just not all that interesting

3.72/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

No Canned on Date

A - Pours a rich amber color. Completely clear, with minimal head.

S - Sweet hoppy syrupy smells. Hints of piney resin.

T - Piney, resin, floral hops. No noticeable citrus qualities. Finishes very dry and bitter.

M - Medium body with moderate to high carbonation. Just right for an IPA.

D - Nothing I would go out of my to get again, but nothing I'd turn down either. This is a solid IPA. Not a lot to rant about, both positive and negative. The flavors are pretty one dimensional, bitter piney hops, no citrus undertones that I enjoy so much.

3.75/5  rDev -5.3%

12 oz. can,

A: Pours amber, nice finger sized white head, good head retention, solid lace, nice look all around.

S: Oranges/Simcoe, tropical fruit, pine, a very pretty smell, but understated, could be great.

T: Heavy citrus dominates - orange, tangerine, grapefruit, pine in the finish. Like the Pale, the malt is very light, I like the hop profile a lot more in this one as compared to the Pale.

M: Soft carbonation - perhaps from the can, medium-bodied.

D: Pretty standard Northwest IPA, a fine drinking beer, not going to wow you.

4.3/5  rDev +8.6%

Pours a slightly hazy copper color with about one and a half fingers of creamy, white colored, head that has great retention. Aroma is of caramel, grapefruit, herbal hops, and toasted grain.

This is a very hoppy beer. Lots of citrus and pine are present. A touch of caramel is in the background. There is a sharp lingering bitterness on the finish. Medium bodied and an easy drinker. A very nice IPA and its made even nice by the fact it comes in a can. Perfect for a round of golf or other outside activities.

3.52/5  rDev -11.1%

Poured into a pint glass from a 12 oz. can. Pours clear and deep golden/copper in color and offers a nice bubbly half inch of off white head. This settles to a surface cap in a minute or two but doesn't hold up to offer any lacing with the carbonation heading for the hills by half glass.

Nice blend of hops on the nose with some orange citrus and fresh cut pine, with a certain resiny quality in that regard. Hops are quite light and become a bit more elusive over time. Some clean fruity malt notes accompany. Good quality but not quantity.

Smooth in flavor and light in body as predicted from the nose. Finishes with a distinct and lingering orange flavor and just a hint of bitterness follows. Decent unobtrusive feel and drink.

This is an IPA 'Lite' for me. Light hops and malts, well balanced yes, but very light bodied for the style. Would have dubbed this an APA. Wonder what their Pale is like?

Caldera IPA from Caldera Brewing Company