Get FREE shipping on all US orders of $25 or more from the BeerAdvocate Store.

No promo code required. Offer valid through 4/30.

Ready to gear up? Start shopping →

Style: American IPA

Added by Jason on 02-21-2005

Reviews: 503 | Ratings: 1,234
3.65/5  rDev -7.8%

Poured from 12oz can. I can not think who sent this too me for the life of me. I need to start putting names with beers I get in! Review from notes.

A- Pours semi-hazy orange/reddish color. One and a half light tan/offwhite head that stays for a little while. Nice soapy lacing hat slides down the glass.

S- Tropical fruit (pineapple) upfront along with other citrusy hops. Light bready malts in the background. Very light earthy floral hops...these could have been a little more in the aroma in my opinion.

T- Nice bitter hop bite right off the bat which I didn't foresee. Light malt sweetness in the middle and toward the end. Bitter hop again in the end but not quite as big as in the front. Also a light medical alcohol taste which was a little distracting.

M- Lighter mouthfeel. Good carbonation for the style. Hops left a trainwreck of bitterness on the palate. Some hop resin stuck around after each sip. Light tropical fruit in the aftertaste.

D- Very drinkable IPA in my book. The light alcohol taste kind of brought the taste down a half point in my review but after some sips it went away. Nothing is over the top about this IPA and I would easily make this my session beer if it was near me.

3.88/5  rDev -2%

Found this beer at Whole Foods in Tustin/Irvine, CA. It was the first time I saw it, so I got two 6packs to try out. I was very pleasantly surprised.

I try just about every IPA I can get my hands on: Sculpin, Racer 5, Hop Stoopid are some of my favorites. Big hoppy flavors and amazing fruity smells. You find these in Caldera IPA.

This beer is delicious - if you like good hoppy and flavorful IPAs, give it a try, I bet you'll enjoy it.

3.53/5  rDev -10.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Eh. A little surprised at the rating here.

Pours a copper, reddish orange. Definitely not the familiar yellowish, golden orange of most IPAs. Large off-white head.

Smells faintly of pine, more strongly of ... well, citrus. Not quite grapefruit, just citrus-y. And there's maybe a whiff of malt. Well, maybe not.

There's a strange toasted after-taste to the malt, and the hop flavoring is a touch muted. Really more like a pale ale than an ipa to me, though not quite that either. Some grapefruit, some random-y citrus notes, and a touch of sweet malt.

Decent, but nothing to write home about.

4.13/5  rDev +4.3%

Poured from can into pint glass...

A: Pours a beautiful golden honey hue with a nice creamy three finger head. Huge head and excellent lacing, falls very slowly in pillows. Very beautiful.

S: Tons of citrus and piney hops. Big aroma, not overly complex, but for an ipa this is very solid. grapefruit and sticky pine hops really jump out with just a hint of caramel malt in the background. Very fresh...

T: Follows the nose perfectly, tons of pine and grapefruit, very crisp and fresh. Faint bready malt in the mid-palate help balance the hops. Faint metallic on the finish, not necessarily in a bad way but just a hint.

M: Medium light body, lots of crisp carbonation dancing on the tongue. Smooth and dry on the finish.

D: So fresh and smooth this one goes down very nice.

4.52/5  rDev +14.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

A: A clear amber color with a nice fluffy white head. The lacing on this beer is absolutely incredible.

S: An amazing smell. The smell reminds me of homebrewing. It feels as though I've got a big chunk of fresh Simcoe and Amarillo hops that I'm about to toss into the boil. Very piney and citrusy. Different aromas, but on par with Pliny and Sculpin.

T: The Simcoe train doesn't stop at the nose. Plenty of bitterness and a nice grapefruit flavor as well. Not quite as good as the nose, but almost.

M: This is the one area I think the beer falls a bit short. The body is on the thin/watery side, but the carbonation levels are fine.

D: This is one of my new favorite IPAs. This is a great IPA for just sipping on or drinking during a hot day. I think I'll pick up a six pack the next time I see it.

4.15/5  rDev +4.8%

A- Stunning clarity, this thing is absolutely defect free, and has a wonderful amber color, with a slightly off white head, suddy lacing and ropes of carbonation.

S- Herbal, lemon grass, piney and a tad of citrus. Has a lot of herbs from far away, even, and it has a very nice balance of all 5 scents.

T- slightly spicy, malty, but held on because of the hops. This had a little less to it than i thought it would, but its probably because im used to DIPA's. To be fair, it has a remarkable balance to it...i really enjoy this beer, and for something in a "can", which most people are shaky about, i found it impressive.

M- Medium body, nice mixed malty/bitter after finish that is slightly cloying but not offensively.

D- This stuff is fun to drink. The can is yellow, lively, and fun to look at. I see people looking at this beer all day on the shelf wondering why something in 6 pack cans costs so much. I have an answer for them now! GREAT BEER!

3.83/5  rDev -3.3%

pour was a deep copper with a slight hazy ruby tint. fluffy cloud like head with decent retention and lacing

huge malts with a slight citrus and floral hop scent. mainly orange and pineapple.

bitter up front, a strong pine bitterness with bits of earthy and citrus bitterness. a bit of white grapefruit, orange, and sweet biscuit malts.

very full bodied with proper carbonation. the perfect bite to accompany the flavors.

not bad, has a lot of deep bitterness and is a solid IPA. i would prefer some floral flavors but that is just me. the price here would have me thinking twice about getting more but i would have no issues drinking this again.

4.11/5  rDev +3.8%

A: Yellow and clear. Nice 1 finger white head.
S: Not much here. Slight Cascade hops and malt. I was a bit disappointed at first because the smell was unimpressive.
T: A nice mix of the C hops. This gives a mouth full of bitter grapefruit and citrus.
M: Very bitter, just like it should be. It is also quite crisp, which makes for a refreshing IPA. No alcohol burn at all.
D: This is an excellent easy drinking IPA. I wish the aroma was a little more hoppy, but overall I enjoyed the brew. I am happy to find this on the shelves at my local craft beer store.

3.6/5  rDev -9.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

12oz can picked up today at the COOP... poured into my Delirium goblet... nice eggshell white head atop a crystal clear lite amber brew.. good lacing..

Nose is pretty fresh smelling CCC hops... pale malts and a very minor caramel is way in the background.

Flavor has a fair amount of toasty malts with it.. the hops are mainly in the front with bittering and more in then in the back close toward the finish with some pithy citrus skin... mid-palate is more about the malts.. toasty with minor some lesser caramel.. mouthfeel is a tad heavier than expected.. sorta full with a good carbonation that still leans toward the creamy side of things.

A good IPA that I think is very drinkable, but seems to not find a real identity in the traditional American IPA style.. don't get me wrong, this is a pretty nice beer.. but the maltiness seems a tad high and maybe too pronounced with toastiness and caramel.

3.5/3.5/3.5/3.5/4

3.68/5  rDev -7.1%

Didn't really think much of other Caldera brews I've had, but heard good things about this one and thought it would be worth a try.

Pours a nice, slightly hazy, toasted ruby-brown color. There's visible carbonation running throughout, feeding a short, well-retained white head. There's a tremendous amount of sticky white lace that marbles the sides of the glass without any signs of fading.

Smell is all hops - aromas of grapefruit rind and earthy, musky hops come through. There's only the slightest indication of sweetness from the malts.

Taste definitely reflects the largely hop-forwardness of the aroma. The bitter citrus rind presence in most detectable in the aftertaste, and a hint of the piney, oily sticky hops hits the tongue early on. There is more of a malt foundation in the taste, but it is hardly sweet - more toasty, full and warm. The aftertaste is really nice; it makes me want to wait between sips to enjoy it a little more. Feel is bright and perfectly carbonated - not too much and not too little. It fills the mouth and spreads the flavors around the palate very well.

This is one highly drinkable beer. I was tempted to drink it from the can because you don't see that all that often with crafts. I went for the glass, and enjoyed every last drop. Definitely recommended for a try. It is a solid, everyday IPA.

3.33/5  rDev -15.9%

Always interested in a can.

Appearance - A deep copper/amber color. Very clear. Half inch of white soapy head. Laces well.

Smell - Some grapefruit hops, with a touch of pine. Also a little sweet malt. The hops are a little subdued.

Taste - Follows the smell. There is some nice hops up front, but the malt really comes through at the end. There is a real sweetness, and a little burnt maltiness on the finish.

Mouthfeel - A little on the thin side. Nice carbonation.

Drinkability - Pretty decent, it's a nice beer, but nothing special.

This is a maltier "east coast" style ipa. It's a pretty good beer, but not necessarily my favorite.

4.84/5  rDev +22.2%

CAN you dig how phenomenal the CANQuest has become? I am trading and/or getting CANs from everywhere! I CAN hardly believe it myself.

Whoops! I already drank one of my three this morning before even writing anything down. My notes for Ashland Amber included commentary on the CAN itself, including verbiage and mention of CAN-conditioning. This, however, was a visually appealing CAN with vibrant color reproduction and a green pop-tab. My buds at that stoner joint, Roots (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/10996/?view=beerfly), would fully dig this CAN. Hey, before anybody gets their panties in a bunch, a) I kid and b) I CAN pass a urinalysis standing on my head. I dig beer, you dig? Plus, that place has a really smoky vibe and I am sure that they would not be particularly offended. Onward.

Both times, my pour has begun with a finger of ecru head which has simply sat down, leaving sticky Belgian lacing in its wake. The nose is forest hops - pine, green, earthy, sticky, massive. Sweet hops the hope of my life - once again, that damned howling monkey shut up and climbed off of my back for the moment. I am on the waiting list for hops rehab but it's a long list and I may not last that long. Thank Bob for hops!

It now becomes a simple matter of drawing some of this delectable beverage into a syringe through a needle and jamming said needle into one of the few remaining viable veins. No heating necessary. Cold fusion is more satisfactory, anyway. Once I untie my rubber hose, the euphoric quality begins to set in. I am one with the Beeriverse. My existance is justified. I'm not just a simple Hophead. I am a HopJunkie and an unapologetic one, at that. My licking the lacing out of the glass is starting to draw stares from the nieghbors. So what?!? The heck with them! This is my scene, man, and don't mess with me while I'm digging it. Find your own scene and report back.

Man, how do I convey veinfeel over mouthfeel? It was righteous! Full, sticky, veinous (not vinous), right on, baby! Finish was hoppy, sticky, yummy, the EMTs are trying to restart my heart, man. Zounds!

Where am I? Was this a review? Wow, man. What a groovy trip. Did you dig the scene too, or was it just me? I gotta get in the shower, man. I'll try anything once.

A - Pours a nice amber color with a average cream head with some lacing.

S - Nice Pine and Grapefruit hops but also some sweet malt on the end.

T - Flavor was thinner than some IPA's but still nice with the Pine and Citrus, nice malt finish.

M - Nice IPA medium body with a average carbonation. Smooth feel.

D - Pretty Good. The best canned IPA I have had so far. I am sure it will be great this coming summer on a canoe trip. Like the can, easy to carry.

3.73/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a standard pint glass at about 40-45 degrees.

Shows an orange-like copper in the pint with a nice white froth. Citrus and pine hops jump out of the glass with orange, lime, dried apricot, subtle peach (I know...it's weird, but that's what I got), pine, and easy hop leaves followed by a clear caramel, biscuit, and a touch of cereal grains. On the palate, there is a medium hop bitterness that shows fron the beginning through the finish that is smooth, but a little lean and kind of weak for an IPA. Although the beer is very smooth, balanced, and easy to drink, I was looking for more of a hop presence from this beer (being that's it's a west coast style IPA). Overall, it's a solid IPA that is very easy to drink, but one that left me looking for more.

3.53/5  rDev -10.9%

Super clear orange body with a frothy sticky head that lasts the whole beer, very impressive appearance. Smells sweet, pine, citrus, biscuity, earthy. Taste is very malty with very little bitterness which i was not expecting as this is an IPA and should have more hop profile the taste. A little too malty for my liking.

A: A light orange gold, with modest tightly knit bit of head that stays.

S: Nice piney, grapefruit and citrus, hint of biscuity malts

T: First flavors are a strong, piney, grapefruit bite, with a tad of crystalish malts barely balancing it out, then a bitter finish of resinous west coast hops.

M: Medium bodied, average carbonation, slightly sticky, cloying finish. maybe from the hops.

D: Decent drinkability, though I've had much more drinkable IPA's. Still a very delicious west coast IPA well worth the try. Just probably wouldn't make this session beer.

4.23/5  rDev +6.8%

Poured from a can into a standard pint glass. Beer is orange and clear. Tight white head forms and when it falls away leaves lacing on the glass. Carbonation is medium.

Aroma is good but pretty simple. It is piney hop aroma and not much else, I may detect a little sweetness. It is attractive.

Clean drinking beer, good bitterness all at the back finishes nearly completely. I would describe this as well balanced. As you drink it the aftertaste builds on you slightly, still a very drinkable beer. Body is medium, which is fine. I like this IPA.

3.78/5  rDev -4.5%

A - Pours a medium amber color with a 1-2 finger head with some lacing.

S - You get hit with the regular Pine and Citrus but also some sweet malt on the back end

T - Flavor was thinner than some IPA's but still nice with the Pine and Citrus, almost a little too much malt on the back end for me and not as smooth as I would have hoped.

M - Crisp IPA light/medium body with medium carbonation.

D - Pretty Good. The best canned IPA I have had, although it was my first canned IPA.

Next time I think I would rather have two Pliny's to a six pack of this.

Can from K&L Redwood City.

A - Pours a bright medium amber color with a two-finger, lasting off-white head and good lacing.

S - Aroma is piney and citrusy hops, a touch of sweet malt, and tropical fruits.

T - Flavor is a little pale and caramel malt, but mostly showcases a complex hop profile, with pine, pineapple, orange, and grapefruit. Pretty harshly bitter, although I like that of course.

M - Crisp palate with medium body and carbonation.

D - Solid. Overall this is the best canned IPA I've had after Surly Furious.

4.22/5  rDev +6.6%

Can from Brickskeller in Washington DC.

Pours a clear copper color with a one-finger off-white head. The head recedes into a patchy layer on top leaving solid lacing.

Smells of large citrus and leafy hop aromas with light amounts of pale and caramel malts.

Tastes similar to how it smells. A combination of pale and caramel malt flavors up front are soon overtaken by bright citrus hop and earthy leafy hop flavors. Near the end of the sip the malt flavors take over and have a grainy quality before giving way to a solidly bitter and crisp ending.

Mouthfeel is good. It has a solid thickness with moderate carbonation.

Drinkability is very good. I finished the can quickly and could easily have a few more.

Overall I'd been looking forward to trying this IPA for a while and it didn't disappoint. Well worth a shot.

4.35/5  rDev +9.8%

Appearance - This is a shiny bronze in color with a modest head that showed good retention and left some nice lattice work on the inside of my glass.

Smell - The hops are deep, rich, and complex here and quickly surpass the good malty base of this ale. There's a beautiful orange citrus here that isn't too sweet but more like the aroma of a fine orange liqueur. The stiff pine gives a contrasting compliment to the citrus and a bit of lemongrass to complete the puzzle.

Taste - The big malt base, almost like a DIPA, comes on much stronger at the taste and is amazingly able to hold its own against these huge, complex hops. The pine from the nose steps back a bit on the tongue but otherwise this ale tastes like it smells.

Mouthfeel - This is a solid medium-bodied with some large bitterness that is tempered by the light toffee sweetness of the malts. The carbonation is rightly light and overall this IPA has a terrific mouthfeel.

Drinkability - This is a big, complex IPA that seems like a double until you notice that the ABV is just slightly over 6%.

4.03/5  rDev +1.8%

Received this as an extra from adamharbaugh.

Poured into a perfect pint glass.

A: Very nice copper color with a big frothy head. Head retention is very good and the lacing is solid.

S: Heavy grapefruit and pine notes. Very fresh and pleasant.

T: The hops are very juicy and oily.

M: Very full and creamy, nothing harsh of note.

D: A very east to drink IPA that I could have more without a problem.

4.22/5  rDev +6.6%

12oz can poured into a pint glass

Pours a pretty amber-golden with a nice head a very pretty lacing. Smells delicious -- fresh and hoppy, citrus and floral and more hoppy.

Taste is some honey up front and floral throughout with a strong hoppy bitter aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied, very slightly filmy, very slightly sticky. Very drinkable. Very pleasant. Nice to have a good beer in a can for those occasions where you can't use glass.

3.98/5  rDev +0.5%

Thanks to Kegatron for hooking me up with a can of this.

A-Bright golden copper with a thick light tan/off-white head that reduced to a thin cap and left copious lace.

S-Sharp spicy citrus and pine hop aroma with a bit of apricot. Backed up with light sweet biscuit malt.

T-Spicy citrus hops with other tropical fruit notes. More assertive peppery bite lying on top of a nice bed of sweet biscuit malt.

M-Medium-light bodied, sharp and crisp with nice lingering spicy hop bite.

D-A hop forward, every day drinking IPA that has plenty of flavour to make you happy. Good job, could use a touch more citrus---->or maybe I need a fresher can? Will certainly visit again.

4.13/5  rDev +4.3%

I had this at Arena's Cafe in Rehoboth Beach, DE. Poured from the chilled can into a pint glass.

A - A medium copper-like peach tea shade w/ a proud 3 fingers of cream, rocky headed w/ very fine bead and good lacing.

S - A crisp, tropical hop odor w/ a pine and pineapple(orange according to octopus87)aroma w/ hints of light apricot and grapefruit in the nose w/ mild pepper.

M - A crisp, juicy and mild sweet feel w/ a moderate carbonation level. Medium bitterness and slight spiciness w/ a resinous accent and residual bitterness in the finish

T - The taste is smooth w/ a spiced hop flavor that is fruity w/ hints of pineapple, mango and orange zest. There is a malt backbone that anchors the flavor w/ mild grain and sweetness in the taste. There are flavors that remind of peach w/ a slight spicy pepper mellow flavor. The beer creates nice hop burps as I near the end of the glass which can only mean I was refreshed by the taste.

D - I found this to be a very drinkable ale, a fine IPA w/ out any 'hop assault', but hoppy enough to satisfy your average hop fan. Still bitter flavored and refreshing -an almost "must try" IMO.

Caldera IPA from Caldera Brewing Company