2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Caldera IPA - Caldera Brewing Company

Caldera IPACaldera IPA

Caldera Brewing Company visit their website
Oregon, United States

(Beer added by: Jason on 02-21-2005)
View: Beers (23) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Caldera IPA Alström Bros
Ratings: 897 | Reviews: 466 | Show All Ratings:
Cubatobaco

4.23/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

A: Copper in color with a deep haziness. You can pick out some carbonation through the fog of the glass. Light lacing and and about an 1/8 of an inch head.

S: Slightly muted in the nose with hints of sweetness. Others here call it "candy", but I'm getting a "butter-like" aroma. Light citrus and pine notes are there as well.

T: The taste is very different in the sense I am getting the same "butter-like" note on the back end, just behind the classic West Coast IPA tastes of citrus fruit and pine.

M: Oily with light carbonation. Enjoyably bitter on the sides if my tongue. There is a light foaminess that coasts my mouth which leaves a pony aftertaste.

O: A very well made West Coat IPA. I would definitely buy again. With the distinct flavor, I could optically pick this one out of line z

03-14-2013 02:40:04 | More by Cubatobaco
beereality

3.88/5  rDev -2.3%

From a 12 oz. can....Dropped hard into my imperial pint produces a big white fine head, over a hazy apple juice looking fluid. Crisp citrus smell with a hop presence as well. I taste hops right up front, with a dry bitter citrus finish. Much better as it warms. The head pretty much disappeared, but left some nice lacing. I can absolutely get a subtle tangerine smell from the beer, but a strong smell from the can. This is a very good canned beer. I wish I could buy it around here.

08-17-2008 19:57:16 | More by beereality
berebrando

3.85/5  rDev -3%

Found this beer at Whole Foods in Tustin/Irvine, CA. It was the first time I saw it, so I got two 6packs to try out. I was very pleasantly surprised.

I try just about every IPA I can get my hands on: Sculpin, Racer 5, Hop Stoopid are some of my favorites. Big hoppy flavors and amazing fruity smells. You find these in Caldera IPA.

This beer is delicious - if you like good hoppy and flavorful IPAs, give it a try, I bet you'll enjoy it.

12-18-2009 04:02:39 | More by berebrando
tripelhops

Missouri

3.33/5  rDev -16.1%

Poured from a can into a tulip glass. There was no date on the can so I'm not sure how fresh it was, and thinking my can was a touch old based on my perception vs some of the other reviews.

Aroma - slightly cloudy, murky copper, decent foam that faded quickly but left some lacing around the top of the glass

Smell - very little hop aroma, maybe just a hint of citrus and a little more pine, but really had to work to smell it

Taste - malty sweetness then bitterness, but nothing outstanding in the way of distinct flavors

Mouthfeel - decent carbonation, lower alcohol for an IPA, easy to drink

Overall - I had this at a tasting not too long ago and remembered it being much better, so I'm thinking the can I bought may have been old. That said this is a decent IPA, nice that it's in a can, but also nothing stands out about it, either.

06-03-2011 13:32:55 | More by tripelhops
dukew456

4.28/5  rDev +7.8%

Poured from a 12 oz can into my Lazy Magnolia glass.

Pours a hazy amber with golden tones on the side of the glass. A nice billowy, two-finger head forms,(and sticks around) possibly the result of a forced hard-pour from the can.

A big dose of piney, earthy hops hits hard up front in the nose. The resiny qualities of the aroma subside after a bit, and a sweet malt backbone comes through towards the end.

Up front, this beer has a very bitter, resiny hop thwack, as much as several "DIPA's" I've had. There's also a fruitiness from the hops that complements the sweet malt backbone very well, as well as helping this be a very balanced beer. Moderate carbonation makes this medium-light on the palate and refreshing.

Solid West Coast IPA, and probably the coolest looking can on the market.

05-22-2009 03:08:20 | More by dukew456
Nay

4.05/5  rDev +2%

Very tasty ipa in can. Upon warming, hoppiness gets a little metallic. Bitter, resin finish lingers. Malt aroma not a favorite of mine (Munich?) but malt flavors good and dry. This can doesn't taste very fresh, I'll have to score a fresh one. Also curious to see what like in botlle or on tap

03-11-2012 23:40:25 | More by Nay
bridgetowhophead

4.33/5  rDev +9.1%

Caldera's IPA is about as close to a session beer as I have found (the price tag and ABV get in the way a bit), with the perfect combination of flavor and smoothness.

A: Deep orange-amber, about as dark as you'll see an IPA. Thick, creamy 1/2 head doesn't go away. Excellent lacing. Rising bubbles.

S: Standout. Powerful citrus and pine overwhelm the nose. I could smell this beer all day.

T: Doesn't quite live up to the smell, but starts out strong and only improves as it warms. Hop bitterness is there but doesn't interfere in the least with the gorgeous grapefruit and pine flavors.

M: A slightly dry, bitter finish is the only downpoint here. While it's in the mouth, this baby is heaven.

D: As I said, this is about as eminently drinkable as a 50+ IBU, 6.1% ABV can get. I could pound three of these 12 oz. cans in a half hour without batting an eye.

07-20-2010 01:50:09 | More by bridgetowhophead
Jenkster4

4.4/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Was expecting it to be tasty, and tasty it was indeed. Nice golden orange appearance, hardly any head. ** Taste is above par for an American IPA, I could throw back many of these no problem.
This is a great little IPA, and will be coming back to it time and time again.

06-27-2011 17:53:35 | More by Jenkster4
wmthorne

Tennessee

3.93/5  rDev -1%

Suprised by the hoppy taste from this can.
Consumed at a bar called the Tin Can in St. Louis.

Citrus notes in the initial smell gives way to a hoppy and well carbonated first drink. I also pick up a little banana aroma.

I drank this brew straight from the can which probably didn't assist the experience but it us definitely a drinkable ipa. As previously stated it is quite hoppy for a can which is refreshing.

I am not able to get this at home so I am glad that I tried it.

09-12-2009 04:20:15 | More by wmthorne
brauseboof

South Carolina

4.47/5  rDev +12.6%

The first one poured with an incredibly large off white head with great retention. I was very careful the second time. Color was a hazy copper
Smelled of bubble gum and citrus.
Tastes like it smells, with a hint of lime. The grapefruit biterness kicks in at the end.
Well carbonated, smooth, nicely balanced between malt and hops.
A fine example of an American IPA. Highly recommended.

06-25-2010 00:07:19 | More by brauseboof
itsfreeasinbeer

4.15/5  rDev +4.5%

A: Poured into a SA perfect pint, a darkened amber with three fingers of head froths forth.

S: Floral and citrus hops that lets a bit of malt through for a superb aroma.

T: The malt is well balanced against the citrus and herbal hops. A really well balanced IPA that brings a varied bouquet of hops to the table and supports it well with a robust malt backbone.

M: Mild to moderately carbonated with a bit of hops stickiness.

D: This is a great IPA that presents a powerful hops profile. This is up there with my favorite IPAs, and the boldness of its big bitter taste despite its canned presentation is a refreshing sight. This makes it the perfect beer to take to the beach or on a hike without sacrificing any flavor for portability and convenience. I've finally found a beer to replace Dale's for pure canned hop power!

03-15-2011 21:55:55 | More by itsfreeasinbeer
MURF0320

3.88/5  rDev -2.3%

This is a great beer in the canned beer arena. Had no option but to drink this straight from the can so I can't comment on appearance. Had a nice scent of bitter citrus and pine. Hops contribute a moderate bitterness consisting of both grapefruit and pine flavors, on top of a lightly sweet pale malt backbone.. Mouthfeel was crisp and pleasing with generous carbonation. Had a couple of these on a hike and found them to be great for the occasion.

02-16-2010 23:32:43 | More by MURF0320
mtrentm

4.68/5  rDev +17.9%

Poured from a can to a pint glass.

A: Light rust orange copper color with a one-finger white yellowish hued head. Nice sticky lacing left behind on the edges of the glass.

S: Not a blast of hops on the nose as expected from a NW IPA but improves as it warms. Smelling of grapefruit, oranges & a smell ever so familiar to when I lived in Eugene (Ganja).

T: Amazing flavor! Starts out off-dry kind of sweet, then BAM the hops hit! Very nice bitterness with pine & citrus flavors & a little bit of that Ganja flavor from the nose. Finishes with some caramel & great bitterness.

M: Medium-full bodied, with a nice refreshing crispness.

D: Very drinkable IPA, always a go to favorite since I love the bitterness it provides!

03-01-2009 21:45:51 | More by mtrentm
hoppyhobby

4.28/5  rDev +7.8%

A: Pours to a frothey tan head with a deep and beautiful copper body. Excellent lacing.

S: Slight, hoppy, piney aroma.

T: Citrusy with piney hops. Crisp and not real bitter but it does have a slight bite with lasting flavor. The hops definitely comes through. A nice IPA that doesn't knock you over. Typically what an IPA is suppose to be.

M: Lightly carbonated, smooth and thin. Not watery or oily.

D: Refreshing and while not a session beer, you can easily enjoy a couple of these without any problems. One of the better canned micro-brews that I have tried.

02-20-2010 21:36:45 | More by hoppyhobby
craftbeersweden

Sweden

3.78/5  rDev -4.8%

A nice dark red, copper color.

White head that leaves a lot of lacing.

Caldera has done a great job and sealed it in i can!

Orange, citrus, grapefruit, tropical fruit pine, and sweet caramel malt. Bitterness at the end.

Great body and medium carbonation.

A really good Westcoast-IPA !

03-13-2014 19:05:00 | More by craftbeersweden
IPAguy2009

4.63/5  rDev +16.6%

Picked up a 6er of this, cool lookin can! On sale for 8.99 I believe. Normal is 10 bucks I believe. Poured into a frozen pint glass right from the fridge.

A- Pours an orange dark straw color. Good lookin'! LACING is great in this beer! O so sticky!

S- HOPS HOPS and more fresh picked fruity HOPS. From past experience with this beer I know everything improves as it warms up. Very beer-like smell. Also lots of grain as well. Great smell

T- Starts with a very short great malt and grain taste then right into a delicious fresh hop flavor that reminds me of the smell of picking a ripe hop bud right off the bine! Lasts for some good time. I dare say the most profound fresh hop flavor I've ever tasted in a IPA, it literally tastes like you put some hops in your mouth and started chewing it up and its great. Very full flavored.

M- Medium, not too light but not heavy.

O- A great IPA, I am not the biggest fan of piney IPAs but this one has just a touch of it then followed by fruity hops (my preference). A for sure thumbs up from me. Darn near my most fav IPA. Pick some up, you will enjoy if your an IPA fan.

12-18-2011 02:02:44 | More by IPAguy2009
Somebody_Else

3.95/5  rDev -0.5%

Drunk straight out of the can so IDK about the appearance.

The smell was very light. Kind of lager-y from cold to end-o'-can.

The taste started out fairly nondescript, straight out of the refrigerator, but as with most IPAs, the flavor opened up quite a bit after a few minutes at room temperature. There was an odd cheese-like component to the taste -- sort of an aged Swiss or Gruyere. I see where another reviewer mentioned a "butter" flavor so I don't feel completely out of touch with this observation. Odd but not bad at all.

The mouthfeel was great and the best part of this beer was the lingering hops oils on the tongue. Great after-taste!

Overall, not a first pick, but a reasonable sailing bear as it's in cans and only 6.1% ABV so suitable for drinking all day on a summer's sail. That cheese flavor would make me hesitant to give to a newbie as an introduction to hoppy IPAs but other than that, pretty durn good!

03-30-2013 20:31:41 | More by Somebody_Else
thebeerisgood

Indiana

3.65/5  rDev -8.1%

Aroma: Not much to this one with very faint hints of floral hops and citrus, maybe a little grassy.

Appearance: A medium amber color with a thick creamy white head that leaves a thick top that follows the beer all the way down the glass.

Taste: Muted grassy hops, orange, balanced well with sweet malt and finishes dry.

Mouthfeel: Medium-light feel to it with mild carbonation.

Overall: Not a bad brew overall, but not great either. Checking Caldera's site on this, it claims to have an assertive hop profile and 94 IBUs. I'm thinking this can traveled a long way and sat for quite some time before being sold to me, because I am not picking up much bitterness or hops. Someone could have told me this was a pale ale with IBUs around 50-60, and I would have believed it. Still, it was an enjoyable beer, and I'll be keeping an eye out for others from this brewery.

04-21-2011 00:32:08 | More by thebeerisgood
beerswamie

Missouri

4.7/5  rDev +18.4%

picked up a six-pack because I have been hearing good things about this beer.

A- dont know much since I drank it out of the can.
T- Wow this stuff is great! the pine taste and citrus just explode in your mouth at the first drink.

Unfortunately only one store carries this in my area and it is a bit of a trip but well worth it for one of the best beers out of a can you ever had.

08-12-2009 17:13:31 | More by beerswamie
libertygrails

4.43/5  rDev +11.6%

Bright, colorful 12 oz. can poured into yer average pint glass.

Pint: Color is dark straw. Aggressive pour yields a light head that reduces quickly. Moderate carbonation. Loads of cloudy-white lacing down the glass.

Nose: Ahhh...ye olde tell-tale Simcoe and Centennial THC-esque resiny/floral hops. Very sweet and estery! Lovely.

Taste/Palate: Sharp, grassy/floral/resiny hops with light malt couples for a nicely refreshing Ale. Liquid sunshine...truth in advertising here, folks.

Mouthfeel: Not to heavy/not to light. Really nicely balanced here. Gimme another quaff. This IPA goes down very, very easy.

Drinkability: The perfect PNW Summer Session IPA. The best IPA i've had out of a can/as good or better than many in bottles. Don't let the packaging keep you cuz i can't find anything not to like here. A clear Blue Ribbon IPA. I'll be coming back. Thanks to you, Caldera Brewing. Another brew worthy of inclusion in the proud pantheon of PNW hoppy Ales. Try one. You'll drink two, maybe three?

04-07-2008 02:30:03 | More by libertygrails
charmcityboh

Maryland

3.95/5  rDev -0.5%

Poured from the can into a tulip. Nice pour, perfect carbonation, nice medium head, solid lacing.
Aroma is a perfect IPA balance of malt and citrusy piney hops. Taste matches aroma perfectly, this is a very balanced IPA.
One weakness for me is the mouthfeel is the slightest bit thin. For all the flavor and aroma I would like it a bit "chewier".
Very solid IPA.

08-31-2010 02:21:39 | More by charmcityboh
beerdedking

4.3/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Poured into DFH pint glass. Looks like a nice fresh hop IPA, such as Celebration. Murky orange/copper poured to a half inch creamy head. Love the lacing as it disappears down my gullet...

Aroma wafting toward me reveals all the IPA scents: citrus, pine, with a hint of rising bread.

Many of the previous reviews state a syrupy consistency, and I agree it is syrupy, however, if your a DIPA lover, you won't mind it a bit. Chugs more like a DIPA which I love.
You'll get whacked up front with a nice citrus profile before a light sweet malt and lingering bitterness take over. The bitterness is just right leading you to raise your glass in another slug creating a nice drinkabillity which many IPAs do not nail.

Carbo is a touch soft which is my only knock here, but like I said the feel is heavier like a DIPA

Overall, this is a great IPA and will absolutely have again...

01-10-2012 23:26:42 | More by beerdedking
TheHungryHiker

4.35/5  rDev +9.6%

A= pours a dark orange-brown leathery hue. The head is cream colored and airy, with lacing that clinged to the sides of the wine glass I used for the tasting.

S= Piney hops, as expected. Some floral notes and grapefruit.

T= Again the pine, but the grapefruit shows up stronger then the nose suggests. The hops are out front, but not the least bit aggresive. A touch of malt in the backbone evens things out and holds the hops in check.

M= Light bodied. Smooth and a bit creamy for an IPA. Carbonation is light. The bitterness of the hops linger, but in a more subdued way than other IPAs I have tried.

D= This is an IPA I could drink all day. Not too filling, not too bitter, well balanced.

07-20-2010 01:15:46 | More by TheHungryHiker
irishgurl4

3.98/5  rDev +0.3%

Beer in Can ≠ Meh

After year's of corporate programming by Bud, Miller, and Coors, I have come to associate beer in cans as being "meh." Even when I see craft brews in cans I can't help but think "meh beer." But as I sit here sipping a Caldera IPA I am having a cognitive dissonance moment. This beer comes in a can AND it tastes GOOD. Whoa.

Mind = Blown. To review ...

Poured from a 12oz can into a Firestone Walker shaker pint glass.

A: Pours a deep honey color with a good two finger head that sticks around quite awhile before dissipating into a thin layer on top.

S: Smells of citrusy hop goodness.

T: My tongue is braced for hops but wait, what is that? Is that malt? Yes, yes it is! There's a nice malt backbone running through this thing that finished with a good does of citrusy hops. Nicely balanced.

M: A good medium body with just the right amount of carbonation. Bitter goodness lingers on the palate.

D: In one word, very. The balance between the malt and hops is just right.

Overall, I give Caldera IPA a noms and a hat tip for being in a can. :)

09-12-2010 02:55:05 | More by irishgurl4
Schmit

Washington

4.53/5  rDev +14.1%

One of the best IPAs from Oregon (which is saying a lot).

$2 for a 12-oz. can at Full Throttle Bottle in south Seattle--and worth every penny.

Great head on this rosy-orange colored beer. It lets off a strong and unmistakable lychee aroma, which I've smelled on all three separate occasions I've tasted it so far. Flavor has the same lychee up front, with piney/resiny hops backing it up. Carbonation is good and the finish is pleasantly bitter that doesn't linger over-long.

All in all, one great IPA and probably the best thing I've ever drunk out of a can.

06-02-2011 05:36:55 | More by Schmit