Old Growth Imperial Stout - Caldera Brewing Company

Oregon, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  8.80% ABV

Beer added by: freed on 03-01-2005

4.01/5  rDev -1%

I'm not a fan of licorice so when I brought it home and noticed "brewed with licorice" on the label I was a bit disappointed that I missed it. Surprise! This stout was pretty good. I wasn't overwhelmed with licorice at all.

Poured a decent head, lace was average upon drinking. Appearance was like pitch black, liquid gold. Aroma, taste and mouthfeel were all very decent. Not going to be my go-to imperial stout but highly likely to have again. Lesson be learned all...try new things! I would have never given this purchase a serious look if I would have noticed licorice.

4.05/5  rDev 0%

Served in a snifter glass.

Appearance: Thin opaque body, comes off very opaque black-brown looks like a glass if ink with an average tan head that rises to roughly 1/3".

Smell: Deep coffee bean scent, it's smells ridiculously well by disappears quickly. Comes and goes.

Taste: Bitter coffee with a shot of mocha. It's delicious taste simple and addicting.

Mouth: Medium bodied brew, feels a little lighter on the carbonation side. A body the has is a bit dry.

Overall: Not a bad beer but there is much better out there. I love imperial stout and have a particular liking to Russian imperial stouts, this one is good but not on the level of greatness as some other easier to find beers are.

4.75/5  rDev +17.3%

3.75/5  rDev -7.4%

2.5/5  rDev -38.3%

3.75/5  rDev -7.4%

3.23/5  rDev -20.2%

A: The beer pours out of the bottle very dark in color and yields a large brown head. The head hangs out for a long time, receding down to less than an inch of a cap on the beer, lacing minimally as it goes. 4

S: The aroma is roasty with some underlying chocolate. The roast is full bodied and the licorice tries to balance it out with sweetness I worry this is going to be a one-trick poney, however. 3.5

T: The taste, sadly, is the one-trick poney I feared. It's both roasty and sweet, with the sweetness well needed, but all of the flavors sort of exist together, without playing well together. I don't really get much more than a normal stout with some licorice thrown in and typically, I'm not a big licorice in beer fan. It's a good stout, just didn't stand out. 3

MF: The beer is thick and syrupy, but it's a little under carbonated for my preferences. The finish is the highlight of the beer for me, mouth-wateringly roasty. 3.5

O: This beer just didn't do anything special for me. Just an average imperial stout. 3

4.59/5  rDev +13.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - Blacker than black! Thick, creamy head.

S - Burnt coffee, chocolate, coal.

T - Fantastic, malt bomb! Chocolate, coffee, low hops, creamy taste!

M - Very light on the palate.

O - Would love to have this again... hint hint! LOL!

Thanks to me pal Evan! My father and I loved this!

4.04/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

22oz bottle thanks to EgadsBananas, appreciate it. Typical color for an imperial stout but the head was really nice looking, chocolate brown and huge in the snifter. Aroma was good, roasty imperial stout, a little oily with hints of chocolate and malt. The flavor was pretty typical for the style and solid. Alcohol was well hidden and my only complaint was that it seemed just a tad bit thin but that also made it go down fast! I liked it, this was probably the best Caldera beer I've had.

Picked this up at the tap house in Ashland. It came in a quart jar filled from the tap. I drank it the next day.
Minimal head on a clearer brown body. It's a light color for a stout.
It smells like oak and caramel. Rich.
The taste is oaky and sweet with a touch of bitterness at the end.
Smooth texture with minimal carbonation and a medium body.
Pretty good and very drinkable for an imperial stout.

4.08/5  rDev +0.7%

A: Pours a rich black color with a one finger khaki colored head. Tons of spotty lace down the glass.

S: Roasted malt, dark chocolate, anise and a touch of smoke. A touch of powdered cocoa as well.

T: Tons and tons of roasted malt, charred malt and unsweetened chocolate. A touch of smooth chocolate malt on the finish and some faint earthy hops. A super dark, bitter and roasts RIS. Pretty good stuff.

4.4/5  rDev +8.6%

Big ups to ATLCarl for this bottle, a beer that's been languishing on my wants list for many months. After receiving the IPA as an extra in a trade (& being blown away) I wanted more Caldera. Now, finally. 22 oz. bomber split with my wife.

Pour is a shadow of its former self, literally. Peppy for a big stout, plenty of froth washing off the rocks. Nasal is classic RIS: a bit roasty, sweet malts, chocolatey. Lovely way to kick things off.

Old Growth is creamier than a melting Fudgesicle. There's a lovely roasted edge to this that slip-carves right into the stunningly creamy mouthfeel to create a stellar combination. The depths are subtle & not really necessary, but plenty welcome: licorice, mocha, roast slips right onto the line of coffee before fading back. But the cream really lights this one up, & everything else plays off it like Mel Gibson in Hamlet. Wait, no, actually, the exact opposite of that.

If this brewery was local to me, they'd be in my fridge. All. The. Damn. Time. I haven't had a sip of Caldera in a long time, & now I'm wondering why. Four beers, four excellent beers, hands down; this one borders on the elite. Straight-up excellent.

3.25/5  rDev -19.8%