Caldera Pale Ale - Caldera Brewing Company

Caldera Pale AleCaldera Pale Ale

Caldera Brewing Company visit their website
Oregon, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.50% ABV

(Beer added by: Reidrover on 08-22-2005)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Caldera Pale Ale Alström Bros
3.9/5  rDev +2.6%

A - pours a clear orangish rust color with a half inch of sticky white foam

S - nice citrus hop aroma of lemon and grapefruit and bready malts

T - bready malt backbone with some nice citrus hops and a good hoppy bite in the finish

M/D - light bodied with lots of flavor, crisp mouthfeel, i'm definitely going to have more of this one

mikereaser, Jul 02, 2010
3.8/5  rDev 0%

12 oz. can with a slightly different look from the one shown above. No freshness date

Poured a bright, clear orange with a half-inch white head.

Very subdued fruity aromas which quickly fade. This is the least impressive character of this ale.

The ale begins with a pleasant bitterness that lingers on the tongue. There is a very faint metallic flavor that quickly faded. Overall, this is dry and refreshing.

Noticeably carbonated with a light body. The mouthfeel is clean and refreshing.

While not very complex, this is a summer quaffer with its light, refreshing body and slight fruity bitterness.

jkrich, Jun 26, 2010
3.75/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Appearance - Pours an almost clear, light golden color with about a finger of relatively slow dissipating head that leaves decent lacing on the glass.

Smell - Toasted bready malts up front with a slight hop profile. I mainly get the bready malt aroma from this, not much else.

Taste - As with the nose, I get heavy bready caramel malt flavor, light floral hops, and just a hint of citrus. Reading some of the other reviews perhaps this is an older can? I do not get nearly the amount of hop profile as others are describing here; mainly light floral hops. Also, I do get just a tinge of honey at the end.

Mouthfeel - Medium to light Mouthfeel, decent carbonation.

Drinkability - This is a good "lawnmower" beer in with flavor. Did not present itself to me as anything special, however, it is a easily quaffable beer that would be great on hot summer days.

SpdKilz, Jun 22, 2010
3.78/5  rDev -0.5%

Thanks to Flexabull to sending me this one out in the vet BIF. I like canned brews that are good and this one fit the bill. Can poured into a strain pint glass produced a nice amount of white head that settled to a lace. The body was clear golden amber in color

This brew had plenty of floral hops aromas coming from the glass I could tell this was a west coat brew. The flavor was very hop forward too. I think it was extremely close to an IPA in my book, but I have noticed more and more of the APA's heading in that direction. It was crisp and light in the mouth.

The brew was quite enjoyable to drink and I easily could have drank a six pack at a BBQ

joepais, Jun 13, 2010
3.95/5  rDev +3.9%

A: Pale amber in color, beutifully clear, with a nice white head.

S: Sweet caramel, a slight tropical fruit flavor with a hint of pine wood.

T: Sweet fruit flavor at first, followed by a nice tropical hops flavor. A bit of a malt in the back, but the hop flavor dominate. Not too bitter, just pleasantly hoppy.

M: Medium bodied, slightly chewy, perhaps a little over carb'd

D: Very good overall, but I would like to see a little more balance from the malty side. I think the hop profile is dead on.

Beejay, Jun 06, 2010
3.95/5  rDev +3.9%

Golden amber with a big foamy head that just floats on top. Crisp pale malt and floral hop aromas. Flavors of light floral hops with a good malty reflection that combine to make a honey-like finish with a light hop linger. Medium carbonation with a non descript mouthfeel.

It might not look like much but it tastes great although there's also not much to talk about in the mouthfeel. I really liked the honey I tasted in the finish.

Bfarr, Jun 02, 2010
3.75/5  rDev -1.3%

received as an extra from I wish I remember who...

poured from a can a hazy gold to a dogfish head signature glass with a very thin and short lasting head that interestingly left a fair amount of lacing.

smell of strong citrus upon popping the can that transitioned to mild hops afterward. sweet forward fading to a bitter bite at the back of the tongue.

I don't think it was cold enough for my taste with this style of beer - next time around it's going in th freezer for 15 minutes before opening.

robwestcott, May 27, 2010

Picked up a can at Abe's Cold Beer for a couple bucks and drank it with a Thai curry (good combo). At first seems like a simple, but tasty pale ale. The malts provide a little toast and caramel, while the hops pull in the usual citrus notes. As it warms and I think about what I'm tasting and smelling, a lot more comes out. There are hints of pineapple in the hops, hard sugar candy in the aroma, and peppery spice compliments the orange rind aftertaste. Check this beer out and make sure you let it warm up.

tempest, May 27, 2010
4.1/5  rDev +7.9%

Pour - dark golden, not a light-colored pale by any means. Orange with splashes of yellow and a frothy half inch of bubbly white goodness on top.

Aroma - citrus-y and cascade-y. Plenty of fresh floral hop aroma combined with a solid amount of sweetness. It has a light piney smell along with that of cake frosting (perhaps?). Hmm...works for me.

Taste - damn good. I'd leave it at that but I suppose a person wants to know a little more. A big sip delivers a bitter hoppy bite that is subdued calmly and respectably by a dose of malty medicine. Things are balanced and smooth with just a hint of sharpness in the finish. Love those cascade hops and the fact that this is a close 50/50 when it comes to the malt to hops flavor ratio. Great pale ale from the folks in Shakespeare land.

Overall - I really enjoyed this pale ale. This is a very drinkable brew and I mean that in every way possible. Its simple yet flavorful, hoppy but also balanced. Its simply a very good beer.

Would I buy more of it? - absolutely. I wish I could get some more of these, actually I wish I could get more of all the Caldera cans as I really enjoyed each of them very much. Cheers!

indiapaleale, May 23, 2010
4.1/5  rDev +7.9%

Poured this 12 oz. can into a Sam Adams glass. No date. The body was pale gold. The head was modest and bright white leaving only bits of lace.

Smell was a pungent, leafy, skunky hops - yum!. Tea, which was strong but faded.

Taste was green and grassy with a nice lingering bitter finish. Not hasrsh, but flavorful. Enough biscuity malts to give it some pale ale balance. Very solid and highly drinkable.

Mouthfeel was medium to light in body. Adequate carbonation, finishes pretty smooth. (My 700th review)

Cresant, May 22, 2010
3.33/5  rDev -12.4%

12oz can received today by the great trader known as russpowell. Thanks Russ!

My first brew from Caldera, there seems to be a kind of obsession with the number 60 on the can that I'm not "getting".

It pours a clear light golden colour, good 2 finger head of foam, looks to have some good lacing.

The smell is big citrus hops and an equally big nose of grain, not so good, and some honey, which is nice. Ok, now the grain surpasses the hops and everything else and I'm saying what? I have mixed feelings on the smell, which, don't get me wrong, isn't bad, it ends up being good.

The taste is a battle between the hoppy bitterness which is, really, a nice light citrus combined with some pine, and a strong grainy flavour that for me, seems out of place for an APA. Hell yes, I like a good malty presence in the style but I'd rather have some sweet caramel taste to balance the hops than an all out frontal attack of grain and grain is what is distracting me. To no good end. Dang.

On the high end of light bodied, lowish level of carbo. The mouthfeel is just fine.

Drinkability? I've noticed after further sipping that the combination of the hops and grain make for an undesirable, to me, bitterness in the finish so...I'm glad this is only 12oz. I'm not fond of this but I'd like to take a stab at Caldera's other offerings. I never judge a brewery based on a one and only beer I've had from them. ;^)

Bitterbill, May 21, 2010
3.98/5  rDev +4.7%

Poured from a 12oz. can into a standard pint glass
Bright golden/orange, with a moderate, dense head of foam
Aroma-Faint hop and citrus notes
Taste-biscuit, citrus rind, subtle hop bite, grapefruit peel in the finish
Overall, a nice, tasty, drinkable APA-out of a can

hosehead83, May 10, 2010
4.22/5  rDev +11.1%

Pours golden with a medium sized white foam. Retention is okay, but lacing sticks well.

Aroma is bready, somewhat malty, and hoppy. Piney and citrusy.

Bready, biscuity, malty with a hop character in the finish. The breadyness makes this almost "buttery" in texture.

Mouthfeel is on the lighter side of medium and creamy. Carbonation is okay.

Drinkability is rather high...lower ABV, great mouthfeel, good taste.

kshankar, Apr 23, 2010
4.13/5  rDev +8.7%

Golden with a dense white head and a massive cascading of carbonation rising to the surface.

Clean, sweet, graininess with a nice dose of floral/citric/ herbal hops. Cascades are definitely at work in this brew. Finish is dry and crisp with a perfect amount of bitterness.

A more than solid Pale Ale from the folks at Caldera. This one is all West Coast.

bump8628, Mar 27, 2010
3.9/5  rDev +2.6%

The beer pours a nice gold color with a thick frothy white head that slowly fades to lacing. The aroma is good. It has a solid pale malt scent with some bisquity notes and a mild citrus hop aroma. There is a creamy/bready character to it. The taste is good as well. It has a good hop bite up front along with a balance of pale and bisquit malts. It's quite a hoppy APA. The mouthfeel is fine. It is a medium bodied beer with good carbonation. This is a good drinking pale ale. It's crisp and bitter and very enjoyable.

WesWes, Mar 08, 2010
2.93/5  rDev -22.9%

Poured into 12oz straight glass. Poured a cloudy yellow, almost the color of pineapple juice, with barely a thin cap of white head that had no retention and minimal lacing.

The aroma was mostly malt forward, a pleasant change from Pales that are basically "IPA light", with just enough hops to keep the scent balanced. The flavor was balanced as well, although I thought a little on the bland side. None of the flavors really jumped out at me.

The body was typical for the style but lost some points for being overly sticky. Drinkability was OK, I'll drink it again, but this beer is not on the level of Mirror Pond or Manny's.

Overall, a decent enough brew, but nothing special.

beertunes, Mar 06, 2010
3.78/5  rDev -0.5%

A 12 ounce can picked up at Abe's as part of my mixed sixer. Cracked open and poured into my Tröegs shaker glass. The pale ale appears a clear pale golden yellow color with about a finger of off white foam. The head leaves a thin lace on the glass with each sip. The nose and flavors consist of toasted bread, crackers and biscuits, pine, lemon, sweet malt. Decent body for the style with adequate carbonation. Pretty tasty overall.

ClockworkOrange, Feb 18, 2010

A-Gold-light bronze. Big eggshell head. Brilliantly clear.

S-Piney, citrusy hops. Crackers. Slight soapiness after a while.

T-citrus rinds, some pine. Firm bitterness. Bitterness hides much of the malt but some crackery malt comes through.

M-medium light bodied. Medium carbonation. No alcohol burn. really nice.

D-Really nice beer. A bit on the bitter side to drink all night but a really tasty beer.

organicbrewer, Feb 16, 2010
4.25/5  rDev +11.8%

12oz CAN into a regular kitchen glass during a snowstorm.

A- Bright white golden in color with much clarity. A whirlpool of bubbles erupt a nice bright off white head that just seemed to keep building. This beer is alive. No lacing though, ah well.

S- A west coast forward PA with the hops winning the race. I'm smelling at least one of the 3-c's backed by a bready mix of yeast and malts. Biskits in the morn. There is some grassy notes towards the end though, but this is a pale after all so it's in line.

T- Caldera Pale Ale is a winner, A great balance between hops and malt with a little edge on the former. Just a little touch of a tropical fruit mix leading to a bready finish that's clean as a whistle. Not bitter at all but you can kind of feel the hops for about 1/2 a second.

M- Easy on the mouth, this one is easy in all aspects of the word. A great balance that results in a feel that's not hoppy and not malt forward but somehow manages to meld greatly. Two notches above light with a small bite from the carb.

D- As long as I can find this fairly fresh(no canning date), I will be drinking it. A easy going pale ale that has great flavor and a easy body for multiple rounds.

BARFLYB, Feb 10, 2010
3.9/5  rDev +2.6%

A clear bright gold color. I can't really smell much - some weedy skunky hops as it warms up, but not intense - this is an APA - relax. Now I'm picking up baked bread aroma from the malt. Nice - layers.

Nice pleasant hop flavor on the medium bodied, lightly toasty malt spine. The hop flavor's character reminds me of some Lagunitas beers with their blend of herbal, grassy, and tropical fruit flavors. This is moderately hoppy, appropriate for a pale ale.

I guess this could be a recovering hop-head's session beer. It's really pleasant with real west coast hop character but without the intensity of an IPA or beyond.

Good mouth feel - goes across the tongue fairly softly and has a nice drinkability.

dedrinker, Feb 09, 2010
4.43/5  rDev +16.6%

At one point, I wondered if I could ever find 100 CANs, then 150, but now that the CANQuest has breached the 200 mark, I realize that the sky is the limit. People are sending me unsolicited BeerMails for trades for new CANs. Keep 'em coming, folks!

After a seemingly steady diet there for a while of AmeriCAN macro lagers, it is nice to see and smell something decent glug-glug-glugging its way out of the CAN and into my glass.

I caught two fingers' worth of rocky, bone-white head with decent retention that was already beginning to leave a nice lace in its wake, following my pour. Color was a slightly-hazy honey-yellow. Remember, kids, clarity is overrated! Nose was grapefruit-citrusy. Pale Ale, bah! In many of our Central-Southern states, this would have been their IPA. I began to weep at the thought of previous recent CANs like Lone Star and Stack - rubbish in a CAN! Recovering, I took a sip and got a mouthful of full-on Cascade hops! Zounds! Yoi and double yoi! If this was simply their Pale Ale, it struck me as to why I loved their IPA in a CAN so much. I may have found a new favorite brewery for CANs... I allowed myself to luxuriate a little more fully in the second sip. It was very citrusy on the palate and even a little grainy, as though the liquid were saturated by hops. No matter, because on the swallow, it was so dry that I could not help but reach for another sip. More, please, sir.

woodychandler, Jan 23, 2010
3.48/5  rDev -8.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A= basic blonde, mild white head, decent lacing.

S= honey and floral hops notes. More evident as the beer warmed for a few minutes.

T= immediately astringent and dry, somewhat watery, some florals, pine, bitters.

M= astringent, some bitterness, florals.

D= fine if you like it, depends on the price versus better APA offerings.

therica, Jan 21, 2010
3.98/5  rDev +4.7%

Pours a very pale straw yello color with frothy white head, quickly dicipating but decent lacing. Smell is dominated by piney, earthy hops with a presence of citrus and floral. Pale straw like malts. Taste is a mirror of these scents, not much complexity, but good. Medium bodied, adequate carbonation. Definitely a refreshing, milder alternative to many pale ales currently out there.

rfgetz, Jan 04, 2010
3.4/5  rDev -10.5%

12oz can picked up at Brewforia on the way home tonight... paid $1.89... poured into my Delirium goblet.

1" white head drops leaving descent lacing... the brew is pretty clear golden...

Nose is lite pine and a bit more citrus hops... pale malts... ehhh.. okay.

Flavor mirrors the nose with some biscuity maltiness.. body and carbonation are both where they should be.

Overall.. this is descent pale ale.. but I doubt I'll pick it up again unless I was going camping or hot springing..

4/3.5/3/3.5/4

JohnGalt1, Jan 03, 2010
4.43/5  rDev +16.6%

A: An amazingly clear, golden pour from can into glass with a fluffy white head that sits on top.

S: Just as a pale ale should be: a refreshing citrus aroma with a mild pine to let you know that it still means business.

T: Again, a perfect example of a pale ale. A nice clean, refreshing citrus flavor followed by a nice bitter bite on the finish.

M: The beer is light and moderately carbonated, but still has a fairly substantial feel on the tongue.

D: This must be what Bud is talking about. These guys sure know how to make a great session pale and IPA. I'm glad to see these beers become more easy to come by in CA.

womencantsail, Dec 28, 2009