Caldera Ginger Beer - Caldera Brewing Company

Caldera Brewing Company visit their website
Oregon, United States

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  4.70% ABV

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: msubulldog25 on 08-27-2009)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Reviews by DeanMoriarty:
DeanMoriarty

3.88/5  rDev +12.5%

Picked up a 22oz bomber from Olive Tree Market here in OB for $4.99 and poured it into an Odell's branded tulip glass.

A: Pours a clean light golden hue, lightly effervescent, a thin white head that dissipates quickly with minor amounts of lacing.

S: A lot of crackery pilsner style malt, earthy sweetness and a nice but not overwhelming presence of ginger.

T: Big time pilsner flavor upfront - similar to what I would imagine a small batch of Pilsner Urquell would taste like if it were brewed with fresh ginger. Slight flavors of black liquorish and reminiscent of a ginger snap.

Light crispy and refreshing. Great summer time session beer!

06-10-2012 03:14:20 | More by DeanMoriarty
oberon

3.6/5  rDev +4.3%

Poured a very light golden with a thinner but pretty well sustained white head atop.Aromas of toasted cereal grain and a real sharp fresh ginger note,this is the real deal when it comes to ginger.Toasty with sharp ginger flavors,the ginger is pretty much in your face and if you're a fan then you will like it.I'am not a huge fan of ginger but this beer is what it says it is a ginger beer,not many come close to this beer.

09-13-2012 22:08:26 | More by oberon
augustgarage

4.05/5  rDev +17.4%

Poured from a 22oz bomber into my Drie Fonteinen tumbler.

Hazy titanium yellow body (which catches the shadows forming a beautiful mysterious gradient) with an incredibly dense pillow of magnolia cream. Heavy persistent head and rich creamy lacing.

Pale malt, asian pear, and a hint of citrus in the nose. A vaguely tropical lager...

Tastes very much like a well done APA, with a nice balance of pale malt and low hop bitterness. The ginger adds to the refreshing character, but isn't readily detectable at first (lacks any "bite"). Medium-dry finish - very clean and extremely quaffable. I can imagine hibiscus and beets working in small quantities, though I think they omitted those for this version...

Light bodied, pillowy, smooth and moderately carbonated.

Don't go into this expecting a ginger beer (despite its name) as it has little in common with that spicy soft drink. This is a wonderful session ale though, and worth seeking out if you are a fan of light yet flavorful lagers. Would obviously go perfectly with sushi.

09-28-2010 00:15:24 | More by augustgarage
russpowell

Oklahoma

3.25/5  rDev -5.8%

Pours an effervescent honey color with 2 fingers of eggshell colored head. Stays effervescent throughout,
pretty good head retention & lacing (3.5)

S: Some vegtal notes up front mixing with ginger. Ginger & grassiness as this warms (3.0)

T: Follows the nose up front, some grassiness. Woody hop notes mix in with ginger & lemongrass
as this warms. Finishes a little dry, then grassiness, ginger & a little lemon & honey (3.25)

MF: Light bodied, delicate carbonation up front. Thickens up a bit as this warms (3.5)

Drinks semi-okay, makes Left hand's offering look world class

08-15-2014 03:13:06 | More by russpowell

09-13-2012 06:04:52 | More by Travisnin
oline73

Maryland

3.35/5  rDev -2.9%

Poured from the bottle into a Chimay goblet.

Appearance: Pours a slightly cloudy yellow/orange color with a half finger of fluffy white head. The head fades to a small layer on top of the pour.

Smell: Very light and crisp. I'm definitely picking up the ginger, but it's not overly powerful. There is a slight sweetness from the malt as well.

Taste: Very light and refreshing. The ginger shows up right away and then fades towards the finish of the sip. The finish is malty and bread like.

Mouthfeel: The body is on the thin side with smooth carbonation and a very dry finish.

Overall: This is a light and refreshing beer, but nothing spectacular. The amount of ginger is nice, but I would have liked to have more going on.

01-02-2012 17:17:39 | More by oline73

2.75/5  rDev -20.3%

07-05-2012 02:55:00 | More by caverog
Reidrover

3.78/5  rDev +9.6%

22 oz bottle from "Lifesource" Salem. $3.95 Nice golden clear beer body with a nice sized frothy/creamy white head. Ok aromas..mainlly a bit of ginger speice and some bready malt..simple nice Taste very nice indeed..nice spicy ginger backed with slightly caramel maltiness..simple again but i like . Liked the mouthfeel of this one..very forward carbonation which helps the ginger effect and a lingering ginger in the after taste. Overall a simple ginger brew .I liked it

10-19-2011 02:25:15 | More by Reidrover
nikbullet

01-21-2013 15:03:36 | More by nikbullet
VaterRoss

01-04-2012 06:11:58 | More by VaterRoss
MadeInOregon

4.4/5  rDev +27.5%

OK, so the only reason I bought this while shopping at Whole Foods was because I've never had a "ginger beer" unless it was ginger ALE...and we all know that's not the kind of "beer" we're interested in on this site! I was very excited to try this one!...

When poured out it looks like a cheapo macro lager at first sight, then the slowly fading head suggests otherwise. The body is crystal clear and is a very light straw color. The head is bright white and slowly dissipates, but is initially quite thick.

Smell is adjuncty, but there are slight notes of honey and some kind of herby thing going on...ginger perhaps? Can't really tell. From the smell there is obviously something different about this beer though. It has a unique spicy smell to it and reminds me a lot of basil, not ginger. I really can't quite place everything that I smell, but it is a very nice aroma. Superb fragrance for this beer, though definitely not a "ginger beer" based on the smell.

The taste is very unique also. It's kind of like a spiced pilsner or kolsch but the "spice" is kind of hard to identify. It does not taste like ginger. This beer actually reminds me a lot of Bison's Honey Basil ale. There is some definite astringent burn in the upper throat after swallowing that is no doubt from the ginger, but that is the only ginger I can detect with any certainty. It is only slightly hoppy and malty.

This a very enjoyable, very drinkable beer (I could easily drink 2 22oz'ers) but I think it's failing in its claim to be a "ginger" beer because I don't smell it, can barely taste it, and can only really detect the ginger's physiological effects of a warm throat and stomach. So, rating this one is hard; I've never had a ginger beer so I don't really know what one ought to taste like...but then again I can't really tell if I'm tasting ginger here or the combination of other things. So confused. My recommendation to you Caldera folks: ADD MORE GINGER! There's obviously enough of a curiosity about this style to not hurt sales if it was strengthened. I for one could handle it.

08-30-2010 07:46:05 | More by MadeInOregon

07-28-2012 22:03:02 | More by avaldivia
rawthar

3.95/5  rDev +14.5%

Notes from 6/24

A: Bright golden glowing beer in a moment of clarity with a lively white head of feathery fluff

S: The ginger is definitely there, or am I smelling my Indian dinner? Almost cake-like in its malt aroma, sharply bready with a slight edge of sweetness

T: Nice clear malty throat taste, reminds me of strands of complex sugars and grains, ginger is more subtle than I expected, more of an undertone than a backbone

M: A refreshing light beer feel, like a pilsner or summer ale

D: If this was a sixer instead of a double-deuce, I could see this being a fine picnic pounder

Overall, pretty impressed for the particular style

06-26-2010 13:13:10 | More by rawthar
RedneckBeerz

05-08-2013 16:28:08 | More by RedneckBeerz
chugamugofsud

02-20-2013 21:35:44 | More by chugamugofsud
RangerClegg

3.75/5  rDev +8.7%

Is it possible for a bottle to be a novelty product? I bought it cause it's the only bottle of Caldera I've ever seen, so I guess so. Stoked to be the first to review a beer! That's a lot of responsibility so I might as well give it a thorough review. Poured into my New Belgium Tulip.

A - Clear golden color with a bright white 1" head that slowly fades to a ring around the top. Lacing is minimal, but still there and fighting to cling to the glass

S - Smell is of ginger and honey. Very appealing.

T - First hit is of ginger. Not too strong or biting but just the right amount. Fades to a sweetness on the tongue that is sort of perfect and then... a little bit of bite from the hops making their presence known.

M - Medium bodied and full. A nice round beer for the summer. Not too heavy, definately not watery. Not very good at describing it other than it's good.

D - I really like this beer and I could probably put 2 or 3 glasses away, so one bomber is enough for me. I think 2 bombers would be too much, but I could probably drink one and half, so I think I'll have to stick with the one.

Overall this is a pretty good ginger beer. I think that for my money though, I'd rather buy Trade Route's Ginger Pale Ale. If you've never had a ginger beer, Pick it up.

05-06-2010 01:23:40 | More by RangerClegg
beerhorn12

4.25/5  rDev +23.2%

05-06-2012 16:42:03 | More by beerhorn12
AlexFields

01-11-2013 20:19:59 | More by AlexFields
Dope

3.88/5  rDev +12.5%

A: A cloudy pale golden pour with a very small white head. Decent lacing and decent retention especially given the small initial head.

S: A little bready malt and pretty strong ginger.

T: Well, again some bready pale malt and some ginger. Pretty straightforward. Simple but effective.

M: Nice and light. Crisp finish.

O: Never had a ginger beer. This is surprisingly decent. It's pretty light, crisp and drinkable. Ginger isn't overpowering but it's definitely noticeable. Simple and tasty.

01-21-2012 05:34:59 | More by Dope
rdobens

03-08-2013 00:52:49 | More by rdobens
alpinebryant

Connecticut

3.05/5  rDev -11.6%

Bottle says "Malt beverage brewed with Ginger and ginger added" Sounds redundant to me, but lets move on.

Pours a bud light yellow with a tiny white head of small bubbles. The beer is almost as clear as a glass of water with some food coloring in it.

Aroma of light ginger, a very light malt aroma but primarily odorless on the malt side. I wouldn't be completely surprised if there were some adjuncts in here because of the lack of underlying malt flavors. Taste is of a light adjunct lager with a dosing of ginger. Not surprising there.

This is a light session beer, good for the warmer days of spring / summer. Mouthfeel is extremely light, high carbonation.

Overall decent. This would be great if you were drinking beers on draft at the bar with some friends just hanging out. I wouldn't necessarily seek it out though to drink out of a bottle.

05-24-2011 22:26:58 | More by alpinebryant
unknownlamer

2.93/5  rDev -15.1%

I got this since I homebrew a Ginger+Chamomile Wheat Ale every summer, and wanted to see what another beer with ginger in it tasted like.

Bottle lacks any date info, but this only appeared on the shelves of the beer shop that opened a few months ago very recently, so it's probably good and fresh.

Has a decent head, pours an OK looking clear yellow.

The smell is faintly sweet, a bit of fresh ginger, not much else.

Tastes like a light summer ale. Not getting much ginger. Not bad, but the extreme subtlety of ginger in a beer named "Ginger Beer" leaves me underwhelmed. I was expecting a bit of /zing/ (ala the old 100bbl series Harpoon Ginger beer).

It does go down easy like any good summer ale; the body isn't too thin and seems sanely carbonated.

Overall, something I wouldn't turn down if offered, but not something I'll seek out (it was around $5 for a bomber, probably owing to being on the opposite coast).

03-26-2012 03:45:55 | More by unknownlamer