Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Caldera Ginger Beer - Caldera Brewing Company

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
Reviews by trodam:
3.25/5  rDev -7.7%

3.62/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured a very light golden with a thinner but pretty well sustained white head atop.Aromas of toasted cereal grain and a real sharp fresh ginger note,this is the real deal when it comes to ginger.Toasty with sharp ginger flavors,the ginger is pretty much in your face and if you're a fan then you will like it.I'am not a huge fan of ginger but this beer is what it says it is a ginger beer,not many come close to this beer.

4.04/5  rDev +14.8%

Poured from a 22oz bomber into my Drie Fonteinen tumbler.

Hazy titanium yellow body (which catches the shadows forming a beautiful mysterious gradient) with an incredibly dense pillow of magnolia cream. Heavy persistent head and rich creamy lacing.

Pale malt, asian pear, and a hint of citrus in the nose. A vaguely tropical lager...

Tastes very much like a well done APA, with a nice balance of pale malt and low hop bitterness. The ginger adds to the refreshing character, but isn't readily detectable at first (lacks any "bite"). Medium-dry finish - very clean and extremely quaffable. I can imagine hibiscus and beets working in small quantities, though I think they omitted those for this version...

Light bodied, pillowy, smooth and moderately carbonated.

Don't go into this expecting a ginger beer (despite its name) as it has little in common with that spicy soft drink. This is a wonderful session ale though, and worth seeking out if you are a fan of light yet flavorful lagers. Would obviously go perfectly with sushi.

3.12/5  rDev -11.4%

Pours two fingers of head on a hazy straw body.
The aroma is dry grain and a little ginger smell.
The taste is mild overall: watery at first, mild ginger, a touch of candy and finishes with a mild bitter flavor.
The texture is crisp.
As advertised, it's a mild beer with a little ginger.

3.25/5  rDev -7.7%

Pours an effervescent honey color with 2 fingers of eggshell colored head. Stays effervescent throughout,
pretty good head retention & lacing (3.5)

S: Some vegtal notes up front mixing with ginger. Ginger & grassiness as this warms (3.0)

T: Follows the nose up front, some grassiness. Woody hop notes mix in with ginger & lemongrass
as this warms. Finishes a little dry, then grassiness, ginger & a little lemon & honey (3.25)

MF: Light bodied, delicate carbonation up front. Thickens up a bit as this warms (3.5)

Drinks semi-okay, makes Left hand's offering look world class

1.75/5  rDev -50.3%

3.5/5  rDev -0.6%

2.75/5  rDev -21.9%

3.35/5  rDev -4.8%

Poured from the bottle into a Chimay goblet.

Appearance: Pours a slightly cloudy yellow/orange color with a half finger of fluffy white head. The head fades to a small layer on top of the pour.

Smell: Very light and crisp. I'm definitely picking up the ginger, but it's not overly powerful. There is a slight sweetness from the malt as well.

Taste: Very light and refreshing. The ginger shows up right away and then fades towards the finish of the sip. The finish is malty and bread like.

Mouthfeel: The body is on the thin side with smooth carbonation and a very dry finish.

Overall: This is a light and refreshing beer, but nothing spectacular. The amount of ginger is nice, but I would have liked to have more going on.

3.38/5  rDev -4%

2.75/5  rDev -21.9%

3.75/5  rDev +6.5%

22 oz bottle from "Lifesource" Salem. $3.95 Nice golden clear beer body with a nice sized frothy/creamy white head. Ok aromas..mainlly a bit of ginger speice and some bready malt..simple nice Taste very nice indeed..nice spicy ginger backed with slightly caramel maltiness..simple again but i like . Liked the mouthfeel of this one..very forward carbonation which helps the ginger effect and a lingering ginger in the after taste. Overall a simple ginger brew .I liked it

4.01/5  rDev +13.9%

4.44/5  rDev +26.1%

OK, so the only reason I bought this while shopping at Whole Foods was because I've never had a "ginger beer" unless it was ginger ALE...and we all know that's not the kind of "beer" we're interested in on this site! I was very excited to try this one!...

When poured out it looks like a cheapo macro lager at first sight, then the slowly fading head suggests otherwise. The body is crystal clear and is a very light straw color. The head is bright white and slowly dissipates, but is initially quite thick.

Smell is adjuncty, but there are slight notes of honey and some kind of herby thing going on...ginger perhaps? Can't really tell. From the smell there is obviously something different about this beer though. It has a unique spicy smell to it and reminds me a lot of basil, not ginger. I really can't quite place everything that I smell, but it is a very nice aroma. Superb fragrance for this beer, though definitely not a "ginger beer" based on the smell.

The taste is very unique also. It's kind of like a spiced pilsner or kolsch but the "spice" is kind of hard to identify. It does not taste like ginger. This beer actually reminds me a lot of Bison's Honey Basil ale. There is some definite astringent burn in the upper throat after swallowing that is no doubt from the ginger, but that is the only ginger I can detect with any certainty. It is only slightly hoppy and malty.

This a very enjoyable, very drinkable beer (I could easily drink 2 22oz'ers) but I think it's failing in its claim to be a "ginger" beer because I don't smell it, can barely taste it, and can only really detect the ginger's physiological effects of a warm throat and stomach. So, rating this one is hard; I've never had a ginger beer so I don't really know what one ought to taste like...but then again I can't really tell if I'm tasting ginger here or the combination of other things. So confused. My recommendation to you Caldera folks: ADD MORE GINGER! There's obviously enough of a curiosity about this style to not hurt sales if it was strengthened. I for one could handle it.

3.5/5  rDev -0.6%

3.95/5  rDev +12.2%

Notes from 6/24

A: Bright golden glowing beer in a moment of clarity with a lively white head of feathery fluff

S: The ginger is definitely there, or am I smelling my Indian dinner? Almost cake-like in its malt aroma, sharply bready with a slight edge of sweetness

T: Nice clear malty throat taste, reminds me of strands of complex sugars and grains, ginger is more subtle than I expected, more of an undertone than a backbone

M: A refreshing light beer feel, like a pilsner or summer ale

D: If this was a sixer instead of a double-deuce, I could see this being a fine picnic pounder

Overall, pretty impressed for the particular style

3.74/5  rDev +6.3%

Is it possible for a bottle to be a novelty product? I bought it cause it's the only bottle of Caldera I've ever seen, so I guess so. Stoked to be the first to review a beer! That's a lot of responsibility so I might as well give it a thorough review. Poured into my New Belgium Tulip.

A - Clear golden color with a bright white 1" head that slowly fades to a ring around the top. Lacing is minimal, but still there and fighting to cling to the glass

S - Smell is of ginger and honey. Very appealing.

T - First hit is of ginger. Not too strong or biting but just the right amount. Fades to a sweetness on the tongue that is sort of perfect and then... a little bit of bite from the hops making their presence known.

M - Medium bodied and full. A nice round beer for the summer. Not too heavy, definately not watery. Not very good at describing it other than it's good.

D - I really like this beer and I could probably put 2 or 3 glasses away, so one bomber is enough for me. I think 2 bombers would be too much, but I could probably drink one and half, so I think I'll have to stick with the one.

Overall this is a pretty good ginger beer. I think that for my money though, I'd rather buy Trade Route's Ginger Pale Ale. If you've never had a ginger beer, Pick it up.

4.25/5  rDev +20.7%