1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Rauch Ür Bock - Caldera Brewing Company

Rauch Ãœr BockRauch Ãœr Bock

Caldera Brewing Company visit their website
Oregon, United States

Rauchbier |  7.40% ABV

(Beer added by: msubulldog25 on 05-05-2010)
View: Beers (23) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Rauch Ür Bock Alström Bros
Ratings: 88 | Reviews: 64 | Show All Ratings:
rangerred

Tennessee

4.33/5  rDev +6.4%

Poured into a snifter out of a 22oz bomber.

Pours clear deep ruby with a one finger white head. Good head retention with above-average lacing.

Aroma lets you know right off the bat that this one is quite smoky. Great bonfire/bacon aroma with a little bit of grass and fruit in the background from the hops. Heavy on the smoke, though, which I love.

The flavor is also very smoky but has some more complexities compared to the aroma. More campfire and ash but with some fruitiness from the yeast and perhaps the hops. There is some biscuity malt and caramel along with some molasses. Bitterness is on the light side but the sweetness remains restrained.

Overall, an excellent rauch and one of the better non-German examples I have had. Very drinkable.

04-06-2014 01:34:00 | More by rangerred
puboflyons

New Hampshire

4.86/5  rDev +19.4%

From the 650 ml. bottle. Sampled on March 30, 2014.

The pour is a highly attractive amber-copper color with a modest little head, continuous carbonation, and sparkling clarity.

That aroma blows me away! 5 out of 5! I get burnt, smoky wood as if I am standing next to my woodstove and his grainy malt character intermixing with cherry or cherry wood. I love my smoked beers to smell this way. This is tops.

Medium to full body and smooth.

The smokiness is tad diluted in the taste but it is still vibrant enough to satisfy. The cherry kicks in to balance everything off with a modest bitter bite at the finish. The Bros are right on when thy give this one a "World Class" rating. This may be the highest rating I have ever given a beer on Beer Advocate.

03-30-2014 17:47:00 | More by puboflyons
Bierman9

New Hampshire

4.26/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

I spotted this 22oz bomber at the Brattleboro Co-op last Saturday and scooped it, setting me about $7 arrears...

Opted to use a small tulip for this one, and filled it about 2/3 full. Color is a clear, bright copper, with some orange glimmering as well. Carbo is scattered and slow, and the head is light tan, quite thin and fine, and mostly gathers at the edges. Lacing is a tad on the light side. The aroma is lovely, placing me somewhere in Bamberg. Has some toasty malts and a healthy whiff of smoke. Oh my! Body is a solid medium, and it is quite easy-going on the tongue. Fairly smooth, and a bit light.

Flavor? I'm still in Bamberg!! This has a lovely layer of caramel and toasty malts, providing some subtle sweetness at the outset. Then you'll get a solid smack of Rauch! I think the cherrywood-smoked grains provide a nice balance to the typically dry beechwood action, and even provide a suggestion of black cherries themself. Quite nice! Would love to have this on tap sometime... Prosit!

4.26/5 rDev +5.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

02-19-2014 23:29:09 | More by Bierman9
Axnjxn

4.23/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

bomber into a flute. bout a year old.

dark caramel color with a nice inch thick head. smell is of candied...smoked ham. mmmm. taste is quite sweet up front and follows with a tad bit of smoke. extremely palatable. lovely, actually. very light bodied but it doesn't detract. very much recommended

02-18-2014 03:10:33 | More by Axnjxn
Ego

3.85/5  rDev -5.4%

no freshness date or markings to be found (unless I am just stupid, which is a distinct possibility)

eyes...
2 full fingers of cream colored foam, clean amber hue with a nice amount of carbonation which keeps the head akimbo for some time, this also features some sticky lacing that claws at the side of the glass as the beer magically teleports to my stomach (it IS magic damnit!), nice looking brew

nose...
definitely pick up the cherry smoke immediately, sticking my schnozz deeper in I really get that bonfire of beech wood bamburg style aroma (yum), the malt can be detected but obviously the smoke is dominating here... and that is fine by me

taste etc...
nice chewy malt melds into smokey goodness, this drinks like a super clean german bock with that smoke smack, this is a hefty beer in the mouth and the carbonation is perfect (just on the edge of prickly but more pillowy than anything else), really nice malt profile here, it borders on sweetness without crossing into it, the cherry wood definitely adds a simple sour note into the mix which is interesting, some warming in the ole gullet is noticed from the kicked up ABV

verdict?
I'm a sucker for smoked beers, this is a good one, I actually want MORE smoke flavor, but this is a damn fine balanced beer and if you like smoked beers (especially in the bamburg vein) definitely check this out

02-06-2014 05:39:25 | More by Ego
Mosstrooper

3.93/5  rDev -3.4%

Poured from 22oz bottle into 500ml Radeburger branded seidel.

Appearance: Pours a dark amber, almost cola, color with a substantial amber-tinted head that dissipates slowly. Fairly thick lacing left behind the head sticking to the sides of the glass.

Smell: Of course, the smokey meat aromas dominate. Backed up well by caramel and sweet plum alongside a touch of bread.

Taste: Begins sweet with a smoked meat flavor in the back of the mouth. Smokiness rounds out toward the finish, yielding to sweet dark grapes and caramel malt. Smokey flavors linger for a while on the far side of the palate.

Mouthfeel: Medium to heavy body with maybe a little bit too much carbonation and a slick finish.

Overall: Good beer and excellent representation of the style. Surprisingly well-balanced, as even in German versions of this style the smokiness overpowers almost everything else. Worth a taste and a good beer for a change of pace.

01-11-2014 22:36:56 | More by Mosstrooper
cxr1037

look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

This was a Christmas gift that I've been somewhat apprehensive about opening. I've never had a rauchbier before and reading about bacon aromas makes me uneasy (I've been vegetarian for three years and have always hated bacon!). Anyway, here we go. Poured from a 22oz bottle into my Corsendonk Christmas Ale glass.

Appearance: Dark red, about SRM 34. An inch or two of head that settles down to a consistent few centimeters. Looks good!

Nose: At first, ham (as best as I can remember it, though it is similar to some vegan "ham" I had recently!), but then a dark fruit sweetness which I assume comes from the cherrywood? It's similar to a Belgian quad for a second there, but then it's followed immediately by salt.

Taste: At first there's the meaty, smoked wood flavor, and at the end is something akin to liquid smoke, but in between is that dark fruit sweetness - mostly cherry. I read one review that said it takes a few sips to get into these beers and I agree. By half a glass, it's less savory and more sweet. Nice, low carbonation, mouthfeel reminiscent of a quad.

Finish: Lingering bitterness, and some residual smoke.

OA: Pleasantly surprised! I didn't have high expectation for this going into it, but I'm happy to have tried it. Not a style I'm going to buy regularly, but I'll certainly return to the style (maybe to pair with some vegan food :D )

01-09-2014 06:21:48 | More by cxr1037
dar482

4.16/5  rDev +2.2%

The beer comes in a caramel ruby color with a tan head.

The aroma has tons of bacon and smoke. A toffee sweetness and fruity cherry wood.

The flavor follows with a baconey smoke in the front, some spiciness, and then a caramel sweetness. A medium mouthfeel.

A very well done beer that is traditional like Schlenkerla's beers.

12-31-2013 00:42:13 | More by dar482
deadxmastrees

Washington

2.93/5  rDev -28%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2.5

It's hard to rate this beer and that's because I didn't like it. I don't have time to write a full review so I will edit this later but for those who are interested this was an intensely smokey beer. The smoke flavor was over powering and I didn't enjoy it - which is odd because I would bathe in a smokehouse if I could! For some reason it just didn't work for this beer.

10-22-2013 02:00:16 | More by deadxmastrees
ColterKoch22

3.64/5  rDev -10.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Curious about this 22oz smoked lager I picked one up. As soon as I opened the bottle smoked aroma was all I could smell. poured half a pint for taste, it was most definitely the smokiest beer I have ever tasted.
For me this is not a beer I can drink more than a few gulps out of the glass. However, I did use the rest of this brew to cook with. I had made a smoked gouda and cheddar cheese dip for serving with soft pretzels. I added the remainder of the beer and it came out fantastic! the dip didn't last the first quarter of the football game last week.

09-26-2013 13:58:51 | More by ColterKoch22
SLeffler27

4.04/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

Pours clear copper (SRM 17-19) with ruby red highlights. A sparkling, golden cascade quickly builds a three-inch, khaki foam that drops to ¼ inch while leaving trails of lace on the Stiegl stange.

Strong charcoal or campfire smoke is nice. Especially nice is that the summer sausage is relegated to the background. Also noted charred steak and cashews.

This has light-to-barely-noticeable bitterness with lightly toasted malt, late sweetness and meaty flavors. The lingering finish vacillates between mild smoked gouda and cashews. Surprisingly, the flavors were clean.

Light-to-medium body with moderate carbonation, no sense of alcohol, and a smooth, soft texture.

This is a very easy-drinking beer to relax with. Given its relatively high alcohol, it could be dangerous, but nevertheless, quite enjoyable.

06-16-2013 19:41:21 | More by SLeffler27
Tonmeister

Georgia

4.44/5  rDev +9.1%

Poured into a 16 oz Goose Island Glass

Appearance: Heavy amber, with a thin bubbly white head.

Smell: Smoked wood, Spicy and sweet from the malt characteristics.

Taste: earthy, meaty smoked, spicy, but not bitter with honey-like, vanilla sweetness.

Mouthfeel: Medium with moderate carbonation.

Overall: This beer paired excellent with the beef jerky. I would say that this beer will pair great for smoked cookouts: steak, chicken, sausage. This is an excellent representation of the American Rauch Beer. I think Caldera Brewing Company did an excellent job.

06-14-2013 05:31:58 | More by Tonmeister
Roman5150

Spain

4.06/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

bottle into Duvel glass

appearance: dark mahogany brown, with some dark red when you hold it up to the light. slightly off white 1 finger head

smell: smokey, roasted malts, beef jerky, pepper, earthy grains

taste: mellow, smooth roasted smokey taste, not as intense of a smokey, beef jerky flavor as an Aecht Schlenkerla Urbock, but you can taste the warmness from the alcohol. Some earthy hops mix together with a coffee/dark chocolately english malt backbone. More watery than other smoked beers i've had.

mouthfeel: not a whole lot of carbonation, average body

overall: A great Rauchbier, but not as good as the originals from Bamburg, Germany. Still, this is a great brew that any beer advocate would enjoy, great roasted smokey flavor that pairs well with smoked foods and beef jerky. I will gladly buy this again, as I am a huge fan of Rauchbiers.

06-14-2013 05:26:41 | More by Roman5150
lsummers

4.16/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Pours a thick amber brown. One finger tan head. Has some constant carbonation bubbles floating up.

Smells of woody earthy smoky goodness. There's a slight malty sweetness.

Taste is nicely woody with lots of burnt smoke. There's a nice sweetness coming through like something from caramel malts or caramelized brown sugar.

Mouthfeel is crisp and full bodied. Moderate carbonation keeps this very drinkable.

Overall, this is fantastic. It's well balanced and has all the great smoked qualities I love. After this beer I feel like I've sat around a campfire. An entire 22 ounce bottle might be a bit much for this flavourful beer though.

05-25-2013 00:50:09 | More by lsummers
KidsDoc

4.15/5  rDev +2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Enjoyed on 4/22 with my wife and visiting mother-in-law. My wife took one sip and then handed me back the 3 oz I poured for her. My MIL found it "interesting."

Poured a ruby-brown-plum, very interesting color, but had a thin cola-fizz type of tan head without much else.

Aroma was initially ALL smoke - not overpowering bacon smoke but a nice woodsy/campfire smokiness. The more I let it sit, the more I got a very complex mix of fruit: figs, apple along with a softer smoky blend.

Taste was similar and massively complex. I drank the bottle over a 30-40 minute time frame which really brought out some subtlety. If taking successive sips, the smokiness became much less intense and gave way to a very sweet cherry, raisiny-apple blend and some big malt angles. If I walked away from it for a few mins and then came back for a sip, the intense woody-smoke came back to the forefront. A true tasting experience

Mouthfeel was also quite complex in that it had a smooth character right at the start but then a coarse, almost abrasive fullness ripped through the middle. It stayed chewy and then finished sticky sweet but not over-the-top. The balance of smoke and sweetness lingered and lingered. Very cool.

I would certainly have this beer again. I will need to remind myself to really take time with it to get a full experience. Not many beers take you in so many directions as this rauchbier manages to do.

04-23-2013 03:43:21 | More by KidsDoc
kojevergas

4.11/5  rDev +1%

7.5% ABV confirmed. Smoked lager. 1 pint 6 fl oz brown glass bottle with standard pressure cap served into a Samuel Smith's conical pint glass in me gaff in low altitude Los Feliz, Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live. Expectations are high given its current ratings.

Served straight from the fridge and allowed to warm over the course of consumption. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: Pours a 2.5 finger head - disappointingly thin - without much cream. Retention is average (~2 minutes). Body colour is a rich translucent clear amber. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show. A bit lighter than expected for the style. Not unique or special, but generally appealing.

Sm: Heavy smoke and bacon notes. Roast. Caramel. I do get cherry wood. It's quite evocative and appealing - moreso than many beers in the style. The smokey notes aren't muddled; they have serious depth. A moderate strength aroma.

T: Delightful cherry wood notes. Rich evocative smokey notes. Very woody and tasty, like smoked barbecue. There's a rich malty foundation beneath it lending support and even a refreshing feel - like a good amber paired with barbecue all built into a beer. The amber malts are well executed, giving it a rich core. No yeast character or alcohol comes through. I quite fancy it. Very well balanced and built, with complexity and subtlety. Subtlety is very hard to accomplish in a rauchbier, but this one succeeds. Impressive depth of flavour, particularly concerning the smoke. Even Schlenkerla didn't have the depth of flavour I get off the smokey notes here.

Mf: Smooth and wet. Perfect coarseness to bring out the flavours without inhibiting drinkability. Carbonation is perfect. It's soft yet thick. Feels tailored specifically to its flavour profile. Quite delightful.

Dr: Very drinkable for the well-hidden high ABV as well as for the style, which is often not very drinkable at all. I'd definitely have this again, preferably on-draught. I could down this all night, and you don't hear that about many rauchbiers. Definitely among the best beers in the style that I've had. A very impressive offering from Caldera. Makes me want to try more of their beers. I love the woody smokey complexity.

A-

02-10-2013 03:08:06 | More by kojevergas
mactrail

4.13/5  rDev +1.5%

Pours a golden-hued, dark amber color with a big foam in the Brugs chalice. Great sudsy mouthfeel to start but carbonation flags after a couple of small glasses. Nose of apricot and bacon. Light body.

Rich and sweet with a fragrant smokiness. Surprisingly sweet with just a little tangy tartness. Huge aromatic nose of fruit and woodsy barbecue. Gets bitter anda little too close to the ashtray in the aftertaste. So fruity with plenty of roasted malt.

From the 22 oz bottle bought at Best Damn in San Diego. Label says grains are smoked with cherry and beech wood. Definitely one of the best smoked beers I've had.Rich and sweet with a fragrant smokiness.

01-03-2013 03:25:39 | More by mactrail
Murrhey

Montana

3.73/5  rDev -8.4%

Poured from a bomber into a pint glass. Reviewed live.

A- One finger yellowish-cream color head. Fluffy, middling retention. Dark copper-colored body with a high clarity. Floating linger is nice as well. Appealing.

S- Hickory, wood smoke, bacon, brown sugar. Smells like cured bacon. Nice smelling rauch. The smoke comes through sweetly without overpowering. Some baking apples and pears add sweet notes at the end. This would be an excellent breakfast beer.

T- The smoke comes through very obviously, but the spicy hops and warm malts are very well balanced. Some sweet fruits juxtaposed with bitter flavors.

M- Creamy, high carbonation. Thick bodied.

O- Very tasty, aromatic and all-in-all a good, not great, highly drinkable beer.

11-06-2012 05:34:27 | More by Murrhey
LiquidAmber

Washington

3.15/5  rDev -22.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Review from 8/2010 notes. Poured into a Gulden Draak tulip. Pours a deep red/orange amber with little head and no lacing. Aroma of smoke and fruit. Strong smoke start with an average lager body. Light flavors of malt and fruit are overwhelmed by smoke, which leaves a chemically aftertaste, like burning electronic components. I didn't really enjoy this beer. I'm a fan of smoked beers, but the finish on this one was just way off for my taste. My experience was so much different from most others that I may have to revisit this beer in the future to see if I got an off bottle.

08-02-2012 17:39:20 | More by LiquidAmber
PintOHops

4.28/5  rDev +5.2%

Glass - Mug

A - A brighter mahogany colored brew with a good amount of light coming through. It produced a 2-finger head that dissipated rather fast. I didn't get any lacing on my Mug.

S - Leather and smokiness compete. It's dry with notes of alcohol and fig throughout. Brown sugar, and it really smells meaty and smokey.

T - Really not as sweet tasting as I expected. Upfront I pick up alcohol, fig, and prune. It quickly unfolds into smoke, charcoal, leather, dryness, brown sugar, and faint leafy hop flavors. It finishes with remnants of smoke, brown sugar, and soft notes of alcohol.

M - Smooth and creamy feel with low carbonation, and a medium-full body.

O - I'm really surprised that it's not too sweet. I really like the mouthfeel, it's not too thick and syrupy to me, and the look is welcoming as well. The smell isn't incredibly smokey, nor is the taste, but it's enough to make you want more for sure. Just a great Rauchbier, I'd definitely pick this one up again. Cheers!

07-20-2012 23:49:19 | More by PintOHops
JosiahS

4.55/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

glass: mug

a: Nothing fancy, a dark plumb-juice appearance with a slim tan head.

s: Excellent aroma, just a touch of underlying sweet malt with much of the smokey characters taking center stage. Brown sugar, mild plumb and grape for the malt. The smokey component brings bacon, leather and a subtle milky quality.

t: Smokey, bacony, leathery goodness from front to back. The malt base is strong but not overly sweet. The smokey flavor work well to balance things. Finishes rather clean with only some malt sweetness and bacony flavor.

m: Full bodied, low-medium carbonation but it feels light at the same time. The mild finish and it's interesting mouthfeel makes for a beer that isn't ask pallete fatiguing as i would expect.

o: Not bad at all, in fact pretty dark good. It was a bit warm i think a few degrees colder would make for an even enjoyable experience.

07-20-2012 23:41:19 | More by JosiahS
CharlieMurphy

3.53/5  rDev -13.3%

A: Dark fruit brown with deep dark opaqueness. Small skim of off white head.

S: Not very aromatic. Smells mostly of dark fruits with a mild amount of smoke and warmth.

T: Olives! I hate Olives, especially in beer. There's also a Belgian character (not sure if there's any lagers that really produce this, it doesn't seem so much like a bock), dark fruits, and smoke with a sweetness that's warm, mildly spicy, and even almost tart. Olive character fades as it warms.

M: Mild-moderate carbonation, very drinkable, very friendly to the palate.

O: One of the more peculiar smoked beers I've ever had. Good, but not exceptional.

01-13-2012 03:41:33 | More by CharlieMurphy
UCLABrewN84

4.38/5  rDev +7.6%

Pours a murky light brown with a 1 inch fizzy tan head that settles to a film on the top of the beer. Small dots of lace slowly drip back into the remaining beer on the drink down. Smell is of smoked meat, smoked cheese, campfire smoke, etc. Taste is of smoked meat/cheese, campfire smoke, wood, and a slight cocoa/coffee flavor on the finish. The aftertaste is also cocoa/coffee with just a hint of the smoke flavors. This beer has a crisp level of carbonation with a bubbly mouthfeel. Overall this is a very good rauchbier from Caldera that has a bit of a different flavor than German rauchbiers.

01-02-2012 04:20:04 | More by UCLABrewN84
zaphodchak

3.9/5  rDev -4.2%

Faint sudsy head with some with some dissipating fine surface. Light ruddy brown. Some lace.

Smokiness in the nose along with pickling vinegar (faint), and some slightly musty malt.

Plenty of bitter, slightly tangy, tannic beech smoke. Traces of sweet toffee on the finish.

Feel is standard, smooth, but went flat quite fast.

12-31-2011 19:46:52 | More by zaphodchak
Tilley4

Tennessee

4.05/5  rDev -0.5%

A new arrival to the West TN area...

Pours quite a bit lighter than I was expecting. Almost like a brown ale? Good head retention though...

Smoky bacon aromas upfront mesh with a sweet maltiness... This is definitely very smoky but not overpoweringly so... Its subtle at times and powerful at others on the nose... Like being in a smokehouse after the meat has already been removed... Very interesting...

Sweet caramel malts surprise me as I thought the smoke would hit hard right off the bat... The smokiness here is beautifully done... Not a smoke bomb but rather the smoked meat flavors run parallel to the sweetness darting in and out, here and there...

Very good example from Caldera here. Excellent use of the smoke with its subtleties...

11-28-2011 18:51:44 | More by Tilley4