Rauch Ür Bock - Caldera Brewing Company

Rauch Ãœr BockRauch Ãœr Bock

Caldera Brewing Company visit their website
Oregon, United States

Rauchbier |  7.40% ABV

(Beer added by: msubulldog25 on 05-05-2010)
Reviews by Tonmeister:
Tonmeister

Georgia

4.44/5  rDev +9.6%

Poured into a 16 oz Goose Island Glass

Appearance: Heavy amber, with a thin bubbly white head.

Smell: Smoked wood, Spicy and sweet from the malt characteristics.

Taste: earthy, meaty smoked, spicy, but not bitter with honey-like, vanilla sweetness.

Mouthfeel: Medium with moderate carbonation.

Overall: This beer paired excellent with the beef jerky. I would say that this beer will pair great for smoked cookouts: steak, chicken, sausage. This is an excellent representation of the American Rauch Beer. I think Caldera Brewing Company did an excellent job.

06-14-2013 05:31:58 | More by Tonmeister
oberon

4.03/5  rDev -0.5%

Poured into a 1/2 liter stein a deep rich amber/bronze with a fluffy one finger head that took its time fading.Sweet smoke,brown,sugar,a bit of alcohol in the nose,mellow and sweetish,I found it appetizing.Cherry wood sweetness and light peppery spice in the nose,its gentle sweet smoke instead of in your face,mellow but assertive enough.A real nice smoked bock beer,I will grab a few of these this fall while eating alot of smoked meat off my smoker.

08-31-2011 00:57:09 | More by oberon
Jason

4.55/5  rDev +12.3%

22oz brown bomber with no freshness date.

Decent sized head with a faint crackle but still a sticky lace, bright amber color. Smells of wood smoke, dry and not bacon-ish with a thick maltiness and peppery alcohol. Big body, slick and smooth. Yeah, the smoke is big but not over the top ... Dry and almost ashy. Malt stands tall with tones of toasted bread, treacle, dried grass. Mild hopping goes a tad herbal in the finish, a little red in the cheeks from the alcohol. Smokiness lingers far into the after taste.

So smoky, so tasty ... Love the different woods used on the malt. Alcohol is clean and nearly hidden until halfway through the bottle, a big quaff!!

08-30-2010 02:44:03 | More by Jason
sourdog

3.75/5  rDev -7.4%

07-05-2014 20:57:37 | More by sourdog
BurgeoningBrewhead

4.55/5  rDev +12.3%

Poured into dimpled mug; deep hazy red with a solid two-finger tan head of sticky lacing that breaks apart after a fashion leaving tons of awesome chunky lacing.
Smells great, like smoked sausage. Smoky, savory, malty.
Tastes of sweet malt and savory smoke. Lots of woody smoke flavor but it balances very well.
Mouthfeel is wet and medium-light bodied.
Overall this is a very tasty rauchbier. Sweet malt and savory smoke play perfectly together. Right up there with the standard Schlenkerla Rauchbier Urbock. Glad to see that Rose Petal mess wasn't an indicator of the rest of the Kettle series.

06-12-2014 01:47:37 | More by BurgeoningBrewhead
Beerandraiderfan

Nevada

3.2/5  rDev -21%

Amber to yeloowcolored, was expecting darker, kind of even had a good degree of clarity to it. Holy cherry wood campfire smoke! This smelled just like you were out in the woods.

Whoa, I could only take a small sip at first, massive liquid smoke feeling in the mouthfeel. Ugh. Its not so much as 'bad' as opposed to 'challenging'. I must admit, I could not even finish a taster of it. This is the most intense smoked beer I've ever come across, by far. I mean, beer geek bacon was a walk in the park compared to this.

I could smell it all day. As far as drinking it, I'm cool with 1oz at a time, its that intense. If you like smoked beers, then check this out. If not, stay away. I kind of like them, trying to get into them more, so I'd try it again next time, but for now, I'm not worthy.

07-25-2011 01:48:30 | More by Beerandraiderfan
MrVonzipper

3.95/5  rDev -2.5%

Bottleshare from Darthkostrizer with BHOBS and Alucard4
Pours a hazy reddish brown with a very quick dissipating bubbly head. No retention obviously.

Holy shit. Smells exactly like uncooked applewood smoked bacon and/or smoked salmon(not fishy). Very nice yet strong smoke.

Tastes just like it smells. Very strong different smoky flavor but Good.

Good carbonation. Smooth and Medium bodied.

Overall at some point in trying this beer You Will Say Holy Shit! It is Unlike any any beer I've had and any smoked beer for that matter. Its very interesting but Good. Although it very hard to drink alot of it. Definitely a bottleshare.

07-31-2011 00:00:06 | More by MrVonzipper
Sammy

Ontario (Canada)

3.98/5  rDev -1.7%

Complex enjoyable smoked. Tasty rich malt,caramel, woody,spicey, and balanced. Leans a tad to sweetness rather than bitterness. The smoke is significant in the aroma but not overwhelming. Above average mouthfeel. Yellow coloured body. Most drinkable.Thanks Augustgarage.

04-10-2011 02:17:26 | More by Sammy
augustgarage

4.63/5  rDev +14.3%

Poured from a 22oz bomber into my Ayinger Celebrator Doppelbock glass.

Brilliantly clear rufous body with faint sienna then amber highlights. A faint yellow-ish beige head persists. Light soapy lacing.

Melanoidin drenched smoked dark brown sugar laden bready malt aromatics. Simple but absolutely entrancing - takes hold of your reptile brain like bacon.

Sweet fruity malty palate entry suffused with delicate layers of smoke. I can't quite tease apart the beechwood and cherry, but the latter adds a bright complexity to the darker tones of the beechwood (which is more standard for this style I believe). Fine smoked ham, pink peppercorn, carmelized winter squash, rye bread, maybe a hint of treacle...at some point the analysis shuts off and the enjoyment takes over. Really well done, the best domestic Rauchbier I've tried thus far.

Light-bodied, moderately carbonated, with low astringency.

I envy anyone who has access to growlers of this - the drinkability is superior as well as the flavor.

09-26-2010 23:55:49 | More by augustgarage
zaphodchak

3.9/5  rDev -3.7%

Faint sudsy head with some with some dissipating fine surface. Light ruddy brown. Some lace.

Smokiness in the nose along with pickling vinegar (faint), and some slightly musty malt.

Plenty of bitter, slightly tangy, tannic beech smoke. Traces of sweet toffee on the finish.

Feel is standard, smooth, but went flat quite fast.

12-31-2011 19:46:52 | More by zaphodchak
Fatehunter

3.8/5  rDev -6.2%

A - Poured out of a bottle into a tulip glass. Lots of bubbles, almost transparent, rust-red color. No head.

S - Smoky, smoke smoke. Smells like right after I get the BBQ going but before I throw any meat on the grill. I also get a green olive scent at the beginning.

T - Smoke. Burnt wood. Sweet malt at the end. No bitterness at all. I think the smoke mellows out the intense malt sweetness that usually accompanies a bock.

M - Very crisp, it is a lager after all.

D - A good beer. There are not too many smoked beers made, so for that reason alone I tried it. Well worth it, though it was not my favorite smoked beer.

10-11-2010 23:19:46 | More by Fatehunter
EvanEngelstad

3.58/5  rDev -11.6%

This is the first Rauchbier that I have reviewed. I had it at the Bier Stein in Eugene, OR.

-a dark but translucent amber with a small head that remains on the edge, with slight lacing in the middle
-aroma: smoked bacon, smoky wood flavor (cherry, beechwood), smoke in general
-medium carbonation
-crisp lager flavor at the beginning that is then overwhelmed by the smoky flavor, some caramel undertones, feels like you're exhaling a campfire
-smoky flavor remains in your mouth indefinitely? My friend could still smell smoke on my breath an hour later on the way home even though I was in the back seat and had a breathmint!
-leaves a dry, spinach-like feeling in the mouth

The smoke was pretty intense. I enjoyed it okay, but I'll have to try some other Rauchbier to compare...

03-25-2011 03:30:32 | More by EvanEngelstad
bashiba

Iowa

4.3/5  rDev +6.2%

Poured a slightly cloudy deep amber/red color with a thin soap ring of head.

The smell is amazing, big bacony smoked pork Rauch goodness.

The taste follows the flavors nicely with a big smoked malt flavor with a nice bit of underlying sweetness, very pork like and very flavorful. Has a nice light bitterness in the finish that helps even it out very well.

The mouthfeel is very slick and oily.

Great Rauchbier!

10-10-2011 23:31:22 | More by bashiba
hopsbreath

4.43/5  rDev +9.4%

Deep cherry body with a faint beige head the recedes to nothing. No cap, no wisp ring, no lacing. Can't say this looks like anything special.

Smokey and spicy summer sausage is all I can smell no matter how I try. It is however a wonderful aroma that I really enjoy.

Wow! We have liquid bacon in a glass here! Although initially the cured meat taste is so intense I can't look past it, I was finally able to pick on its other dynamics half way through the bomber. Sweet stone fruits and a touch of orange zest add their nuances to the flavor. Its more complex than I usually find smoked beers to be and I can really enjoy it!

Semi-thin in body with fine prickly carbonation is a nice contrast to such a powerful flavor profile. Anything heavier may have been too much. Finishes clean.

I found this a little difficult to drink at first due to its uniqueness, but grew accustomed to the pungency. This is a nice sipper if given a chance and I'm really glad I tried it. Recommended.

10-10-2010 02:50:32 | More by hopsbreath
cxr1037

This was a Christmas gift that I've been somewhat apprehensive about opening. I've never had a rauchbier before and reading about bacon aromas makes me uneasy (I've been vegetarian for three years and have always hated bacon!). Anyway, here we go. Poured from a 22oz bottle into my Corsendonk Christmas Ale glass.

Appearance: Dark red, about SRM 34. An inch or two of head that settles down to a consistent few centimeters. Looks good!

Nose: At first, ham (as best as I can remember it, though it is similar to some vegan "ham" I had recently!), but then a dark fruit sweetness which I assume comes from the cherrywood? It's similar to a Belgian quad for a second there, but then it's followed immediately by salt.

Taste: At first there's the meaty, smoked wood flavor, and at the end is something akin to liquid smoke, but in between is that dark fruit sweetness - mostly cherry. I read one review that said it takes a few sips to get into these beers and I agree. By half a glass, it's less savory and more sweet. Nice, low carbonation, mouthfeel reminiscent of a quad.

Finish: Lingering bitterness, and some residual smoke.

OA: Pleasantly surprised! I didn't have high expectation for this going into it, but I'm happy to have tried it. Not a style I'm going to buy regularly, but I'll certainly return to the style (maybe to pair with some vegan food :D )

01-09-2014 06:21:48 | More by cxr1037
Bung

4.75/5  rDev +17.3%

22 oz. Think I picked this up in Chicago Binny's Oak Park.
Solid amber/brown pour, half finger of off white head disappated to a ring, but lasted.

Smoked malt, peat, canadian bacon and some malty caramel. Starting out real well.

Taste, solid dose of smoked ham, bacon, peat and a woodiness. Caramelly malt body is there, almost some faint raisin or apple cider, then finishes with solid bbq.
The real deal, far far and away the best American version I've had of this style. So few try this style, even less accomplish the task.

Lighter side of medium bodied. Coats well, goes down smooth, no alcohol. 7.4 is a little larger than some for the style, but it doesn't show itself.

Best brew I've had in a while. First I've had from this brewery, if their others are even close to as good as this I won't be disapointed.

09-03-2011 01:40:54 | More by Bung
puboflyons

New Hampshire

4.86/5  rDev +20%

From the 650 ml. bottle. Sampled on March 30, 2014.

The pour is a highly attractive amber-copper color with a modest little head, continuous carbonation, and sparkling clarity.

That aroma blows me away! 5 out of 5! I get burnt, smoky wood as if I am standing next to my woodstove and his grainy malt character intermixing with cherry or cherry wood. I love my smoked beers to smell this way. This is tops.

Medium to full body and smooth.

The smokiness is tad diluted in the taste but it is still vibrant enough to satisfy. The cherry kicks in to balance everything off with a modest bitter bite at the finish. The Bros are right on when thy give this one a "World Class" rating. This may be the highest rating I have ever given a beer on Beer Advocate.

03-30-2014 17:47:00 | More by puboflyons
EgadBananas

Louisiana

4.78/5  rDev +18%

Pours a mahogany color, rich, with a tan head. a finger, didn't stick around.

Holy smokes! This is one of the most smokiest beer I've ever had! BUT. It's balance and not one sided. Smoke, cured bacon, rich caramel malts. More smoke. Ok, maybe it one sided, but it's heavenly.

Rich caramel malts and salty cured bacon strips. Bacon lover right here, so, I don't feel the need to go on.

Lighter, but medium in body. feels fine. Nothing tremendous.

Aroma and flavor alone are mouthwatering. Bravo. More please!!!

10-16-2011 22:04:02 | More by EgadBananas
LiquidAmber

Washington

3.15/5  rDev -22.2%

Review from 8/2010 notes. Poured into a Gulden Draak tulip. Pours a deep red/orange amber with little head and no lacing. Aroma of smoke and fruit. Strong smoke start with an average lager body. Light flavors of malt and fruit are overwhelmed by smoke, which leaves a chemically aftertaste, like burning electronic components. I didn't really enjoy this beer. I'm a fan of smoked beers, but the finish on this one was just way off for my taste. My experience was so much different from most others that I may have to revisit this beer in the future to see if I got an off bottle.

08-02-2012 17:39:20 | More by LiquidAmber
djeucalyptus

4.33/5  rDev +6.9%

Pours a rich burnt caramel hue with some deep amber hues... dark for a rauchbier. a surprisingly dark tan head slowly fades and leaves ample lacing.

aroma is pungently smokey... sweet malt, sweet smoke, and some salted caramel in the nose.

the taste, as expected, is smokey. Not the smokiest or most pungent smoke profile I've experienced, but damn up there. and I think it's the intense rich malt and sweetness from the malt that keeps the smoke slightly tamed. A touch of lemon and citrus fruitiness in the finish which blends perfectly with the cherry smoke.

It's not as crisp or dry as other Rachbiers, and it seems a bit more full-bodied, with almost a touch of syrupiness to it. which is kind of an interesting take on it. I'm digging it.

I'm not usually one to say this, but it's almost a touch malt-forward. Not that it's a bad thing. I think this is probably my favorite domestically produced Rauchbier I've had the pleasure of tasting. It really hits on all cylinders. A touch sweet and malt forward, but all in all, it does what it's going for and works beautifully. Definitely worth seeking out.

03-24-2011 03:07:00 | More by djeucalyptus
mikedrinksbeer2

4.55/5  rDev +12.3%

Sampled 10/30/11 - Transferring the notes.

A ruby pour with a half finger, off white head. Opaque. Smells like bacon it's so smoky. Very much a wood smoked scent, great on an autumn night. The flavor is full but not overbearing, smoky with a hint of sweetness. I dig this a lot, will seek out other rauchbiers for some comparison.

11-05-2011 11:59:57 | More by mikedrinksbeer2
Proteus93

A: Quite a ruby red hue... deep, rich, almost sporting a soft glow. There's a bit of a sandy colour in the head. Not much for lacing, but the glass seems to be playing a role in that, as it has had a couple different brews in it, all of which laced poorly.

S + T: I thoroughly enjoy a good rauch, and this one performs quite well in the traditional 'ham and cheese sandwich' sense. It's not overly smoky, which is a positive thing in that it allows some of the other delicate scents and flavours to shine. Of those, I pick up on a light - but noticeable - fruitiness, both in nose and on the palate that seems a little odd.

worth note: after writing the above, I noticed the print on the side of the bottle to see that cherry wood is used in addition to beechwood. That would explain the fruitiness noted.

M + D: Body feels a little lighter in the mouthfeel, but seems to pick up a little weight after going down, however little sense that might make. The alcohol content is perhaps a little high, but a little slower sipping never hurt anyone. Not a bad take on the style, though I think I personally would have enjoyed it better if the actual smokiness were a touch more robust.

08-11-2010 02:51:59 | More by Proteus93
metter98

4.13/5  rDev +2%

A: The beer is very dark reddish amber in color. It poured with a thin tan head that died down, leaving lacing on the surface and a collar around the edge of the glass.
S: Moderate to strong aromas of smoked malts and bacon are present in the nose.
T: Similar to the smell, the taste has lots of flavors of smoked malts along with notes of bacon and hints of iodine.
M: It feels medium-bodied on the palate and has a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: I really liked this rauchbier as I felt that the smoke was quite powerful, but not overdone. It seems like it would go well with BBQ food.

04-27-2014 23:34:17 | More by metter98