Rauch Ür Bock - Caldera Brewing Company

Rauch Ãœr BockRauch Ãœr Bock

Caldera Brewing Company visit their website
Oregon, United States

Rauchbier |  7.40% ABV

(Beer added by: msubulldog25 on 05-05-2010)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Rauch Ür Bock Alström Bros

Rollzroyce21, Apr 04, 2013
2.5/5  rDev -38.3%

deadliest, Nov 07, 2013
2.75/5  rDev -32.1%

Aimeeford, Jul 04, 2014
2.93/5  rDev -27.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2.5

It's hard to rate this beer and that's because I didn't like it. I don't have time to write a full review so I will edit this later but for those who are interested this was an intensely smokey beer. The smoke flavor was over powering and I didn't enjoy it - which is odd because I would bathe in a smokehouse if I could! For some reason it just didn't work for this beer.

deadxmastrees, Oct 22, 2013

kylemckinnis, Feb 27, 2012

extra, Jan 18, 2013
3.15/5  rDev -22.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Review from 8/2010 notes. Poured into a Gulden Draak tulip. Pours a deep red/orange amber with little head and no lacing. Aroma of smoke and fruit. Strong smoke start with an average lager body. Light flavors of malt and fruit are overwhelmed by smoke, which leaves a chemically aftertaste, like burning electronic components. I didn't really enjoy this beer. I'm a fan of smoked beers, but the finish on this one was just way off for my taste. My experience was so much different from most others that I may have to revisit this beer in the future to see if I got an off bottle.

LiquidAmber, Aug 02, 2012
3.2/5  rDev -21%

Amber to yeloowcolored, was expecting darker, kind of even had a good degree of clarity to it. Holy cherry wood campfire smoke! This smelled just like you were out in the woods.

Whoa, I could only take a small sip at first, massive liquid smoke feeling in the mouthfeel. Ugh. Its not so much as 'bad' as opposed to 'challenging'. I must admit, I could not even finish a taster of it. This is the most intense smoked beer I've ever come across, by far. I mean, beer geek bacon was a walk in the park compared to this.

I could smell it all day. As far as drinking it, I'm cool with 1oz at a time, its that intense. If you like smoked beers, then check this out. If not, stay away. I kind of like them, trying to get into them more, so I'd try it again next time, but for now, I'm not worthy.

Beerandraiderfan, Jul 25, 2011
3.25/5  rDev -19.8%

Donkster46, Aug 31, 2014

ygtbsm94, Jan 29, 2012

chugamugofsud, Feb 20, 2013

zestar, Oct 15, 2014
3.53/5  rDev -12.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Got this in a 22 ounce bomber. It poured a deep bright brown with a pretty small head.

Aromas of smoked kielba, and dark roasted malts.

This beer was OK but for a style that I like so much it did'nt really please as much as I thought it would. It had a nice amount of smokiness to it. Really obvious and pretty strong but not charred. But the oily consistency of the beer along with the huge saltiness made the beer less than I was hoping for.

It was still a beer that I'm glad I grabbed. They don't make many in the style anyways.

cooch69, Feb 09, 2011
3.53/5  rDev -12.8%

A: Dark fruit brown with deep dark opaqueness. Small skim of off white head.

S: Not very aromatic. Smells mostly of dark fruits with a mild amount of smoke and warmth.

T: Olives! I hate Olives, especially in beer. There's also a Belgian character (not sure if there's any lagers that really produce this, it doesn't seem so much like a bock), dark fruits, and smoke with a sweetness that's warm, mildly spicy, and even almost tart. Olive character fades as it warms.

M: Mild-moderate carbonation, very drinkable, very friendly to the palate.

O: One of the more peculiar smoked beers I've ever had. Good, but not exceptional.

CharlieMurphy, Jan 13, 2012
3.58/5  rDev -11.6%

This is the first Rauchbier that I have reviewed. I had it at the Bier Stein in Eugene, OR.

-a dark but translucent amber with a small head that remains on the edge, with slight lacing in the middle
-aroma: smoked bacon, smoky wood flavor (cherry, beechwood), smoke in general
-medium carbonation
-crisp lager flavor at the beginning that is then overwhelmed by the smoky flavor, some caramel undertones, feels like you're exhaling a campfire
-smoky flavor remains in your mouth indefinitely? My friend could still smell smoke on my breath an hour later on the way home even though I was in the back seat and had a breathmint!
-leaves a dry, spinach-like feeling in the mouth

The smoke was pretty intense. I enjoyed it okay, but I'll have to try some other Rauchbier to compare...

EvanEngelstad, Mar 25, 2011
3.6/5  rDev -11.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

I have been thinking of picking up a bottle of this for a while

pours a deep deep red, glowing, standing out a lot

smell of slight smoke, peat, a bit of cherry, bbq

Taste is mostly peated malt smoke, a lot of it...i was expecting more smokey, not peated. still a bit of darker, roasted fruits, a bit of burnt sugar, some peanut but overall makes it pretty unique.

Mouthfeel is really smooth, lower carbed tickles the tongue just right, goes down well

Overall its not bad, but as far as a rauch, feels like to much of that peated taste, dont know if I would pick it amongst other smoked beers.

Elimination, Jun 12, 2011
3.63/5  rDev -10.4%

When I'm in the mood for something different from my usual assortment of IPA's I usually reach for a smoked beer like a Rauchbier or Porters.

Wow this is the mother load of smoked dominance. Nothing subtle about this liquid smoke bomb. Concentrated ash and dried aromatic kindling. Damp Tobacco just adds to the one sided affair. If I had to reach for some balance there is a faint raisin type sweetness buried in the finish.

Notes: I'd be interested to see exactly how they brewed this beer. The smoke seems more of an extract additive than natural smoke. A bit much for me. However, a 12oz bottle would have been more appealing for one sitting and it has nothing to do with the moderate ABV. Its a rich SOB.

DogFood11, Dec 10, 2010
3.64/5  rDev -10.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Curious about this 22oz smoked lager I picked one up. As soon as I opened the bottle smoked aroma was all I could smell. poured half a pint for taste, it was most definitely the smokiest beer I have ever tasted.
For me this is not a beer I can drink more than a few gulps out of the glass. However, I did use the rest of this brew to cook with. I had made a smoked gouda and cheddar cheese dip for serving with soft pretzels. I added the remainder of the beer and it came out fantastic! the dip didn't last the first quarter of the football game last week.

ColterKoch22, Sep 26, 2013
3.73/5  rDev -7.9%

Poured from a bomber into a pint glass. Reviewed live.

A- One finger yellowish-cream color head. Fluffy, middling retention. Dark copper-colored body with a high clarity. Floating linger is nice as well. Appealing.

S- Hickory, wood smoke, bacon, brown sugar. Smells like cured bacon. Nice smelling rauch. The smoke comes through sweetly without overpowering. Some baking apples and pears add sweet notes at the end. This would be an excellent breakfast beer.

T- The smoke comes through very obviously, but the spicy hops and warm malts are very well balanced. Some sweet fruits juxtaposed with bitter flavors.

M- Creamy, high carbonation. Thick bodied.

O- Very tasty, aromatic and all-in-all a good, not great, highly drinkable beer.

Murrhey, Nov 06, 2012

sourdog, Jul 05, 2014

MattSlem, Nov 15, 2013

nyyfanatic213, Feb 22, 2014

cburns48, Feb 16, 2014

samEBC, Aug 16, 2014
3.78/5  rDev -6.7%

22 oz bomber poured into an Innis and Gunn tulip.

Pours a nice deep amber color with a slightly khaki head. Not a big head. Slight lacing.

Smells like savory meat. Smoked bacon. Very slight dark fruit. Kind of reminiscent of a Belgian quad, but it is very faint. No caramel malt sweetness that I expect from many bocks.

Tastes smoky and sweet at first. Kind of similar to a ketchup barbecue sauce. Huge flavor of smoked bacon on the finish. Not sure how much I like it. The more I taste it, the more the smokey flavor subdues and some more subtle tastes come forward. A malty sweetness as well a a dark fruit flavor, plum, date. Good mix between the sweet and smokey.

Medium bodied mouth. Slightly creamy like a heavier stout or porter, but still light enough to drink easily.

Reminiscent of barbecue. Interesting flavor and smell.

BigRedDog, Jul 28, 2014