Rauch Ür Bock - Caldera Brewing Company

Caldera Brewing Company visit their website
Oregon, United States

Rauchbier |  7.40% ABV

Beer added by: msubulldog25 on 05-05-2010

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Rauch Ür Bock Alström Bros
2.99/5  rDev -27.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2.5

It's hard to rate this beer and that's because I didn't like it. I don't have time to write a full review so I will edit this later but for those who are interested this was an intensely smokey beer. The smoke flavor was over powering and I didn't enjoy it - which is odd because I would bathe in a smokehouse if I could! For some reason it just didn't work for this beer.

3.22/5  rDev -21.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Review from 8/2010 notes. Poured into a Gulden Draak tulip. Pours a deep red/orange amber with little head and no lacing. Aroma of smoke and fruit. Strong smoke start with an average lager body. Light flavors of malt and fruit are overwhelmed by smoke, which leaves a chemically aftertaste, like burning electronic components. I didn't really enjoy this beer. I'm a fan of smoked beers, but the finish on this one was just way off for my taste. My experience was so much different from most others that I may have to revisit this beer in the future to see if I got an off bottle.

3.26/5  rDev -20.7%

Amber to yeloowcolored, was expecting darker, kind of even had a good degree of clarity to it. Holy cherry wood campfire smoke! This smelled just like you were out in the woods.

Whoa, I could only take a small sip at first, massive liquid smoke feeling in the mouthfeel. Ugh. Its not so much as 'bad' as opposed to 'challenging'. I must admit, I could not even finish a taster of it. This is the most intense smoked beer I've ever come across, by far. I mean, beer geek bacon was a walk in the park compared to this.

I could smell it all day. As far as drinking it, I'm cool with 1oz at a time, its that intense. If you like smoked beers, then check this out. If not, stay away. I kind of like them, trying to get into them more, so I'd try it again next time, but for now, I'm not worthy.

3.53/5  rDev -14.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Got this in a 22 ounce bomber. It poured a deep bright brown with a pretty small head.

Aromas of smoked kielba, and dark roasted malts.

This beer was OK but for a style that I like so much it did'nt really please as much as I thought it would. It had a nice amount of smokiness to it. Really obvious and pretty strong but not charred. But the oily consistency of the beer along with the huge saltiness made the beer less than I was hoping for.

It was still a beer that I'm glad I grabbed. They don't make many in the style anyways.

3.53/5  rDev -14.1%

A: Dark fruit brown with deep dark opaqueness. Small skim of off white head.

S: Not very aromatic. Smells mostly of dark fruits with a mild amount of smoke and warmth.

T: Olives! I hate Olives, especially in beer. There's also a Belgian character (not sure if there's any lagers that really produce this, it doesn't seem so much like a bock), dark fruits, and smoke with a sweetness that's warm, mildly spicy, and even almost tart. Olive character fades as it warms.

M: Mild-moderate carbonation, very drinkable, very friendly to the palate.

O: One of the more peculiar smoked beers I've ever had. Good, but not exceptional.

3.58/5  rDev -12.9%

This is the first Rauchbier that I have reviewed. I had it at the Bier Stein in Eugene, OR.

-a dark but translucent amber with a small head that remains on the edge, with slight lacing in the middle
-aroma: smoked bacon, smoky wood flavor (cherry, beechwood), smoke in general
-medium carbonation
-crisp lager flavor at the beginning that is then overwhelmed by the smoky flavor, some caramel undertones, feels like you're exhaling a campfire
-smoky flavor remains in your mouth indefinitely? My friend could still smell smoke on my breath an hour later on the way home even though I was in the back seat and had a breathmint!
-leaves a dry, spinach-like feeling in the mouth

The smoke was pretty intense. I enjoyed it okay, but I'll have to try some other Rauchbier to compare...

3.61/5  rDev -12.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

I have been thinking of picking up a bottle of this for a while

pours a deep deep red, glowing, standing out a lot

smell of slight smoke, peat, a bit of cherry, bbq

Taste is mostly peated malt smoke, a lot of it...i was expecting more smokey, not peated. still a bit of darker, roasted fruits, a bit of burnt sugar, some peanut but overall makes it pretty unique.

Mouthfeel is really smooth, lower carbed tickles the tongue just right, goes down well

Overall its not bad, but as far as a rauch, feels like to much of that peated taste, dont know if I would pick it amongst other smoked beers.

3.65/5  rDev -11.2%

When I'm in the mood for something different from my usual assortment of IPA's I usually reach for a smoked beer like a Rauchbier or Porters.

Wow this is the mother load of smoked dominance. Nothing subtle about this liquid smoke bomb. Concentrated ash and dried aromatic kindling. Damp Tobacco just adds to the one sided affair. If I had to reach for some balance there is a faint raisin type sweetness buried in the finish.

Notes: I'd be interested to see exactly how they brewed this beer. The smoke seems more of an extract additive than natural smoke. A bit much for me. However, a 12oz bottle would have been more appealing for one sitting and it has nothing to do with the moderate ABV. Its a rich SOB.

3.67/5  rDev -10.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Curious about this 22oz smoked lager I picked one up. As soon as I opened the bottle smoked aroma was all I could smell. poured half a pint for taste, it was most definitely the smokiest beer I have ever tasted.
For me this is not a beer I can drink more than a few gulps out of the glass. However, I did use the rest of this brew to cook with. I had made a smoked gouda and cheddar cheese dip for serving with soft pretzels. I added the remainder of the beer and it came out fantastic! the dip didn't last the first quarter of the football game last week.

3.75/5  rDev -8.8%

Poured from a bomber into a pint glass. Reviewed live.

A- One finger yellowish-cream color head. Fluffy, middling retention. Dark copper-colored body with a high clarity. Floating linger is nice as well. Appealing.

S- Hickory, wood smoke, bacon, brown sugar. Smells like cured bacon. Nice smelling rauch. The smoke comes through sweetly without overpowering. Some baking apples and pears add sweet notes at the end. This would be an excellent breakfast beer.

T- The smoke comes through very obviously, but the spicy hops and warm malts are very well balanced. Some sweet fruits juxtaposed with bitter flavors.

M- Creamy, high carbonation. Thick bodied.

O- Very tasty, aromatic and all-in-all a good, not great, highly drinkable beer.

3.76/5  rDev -8.5%

22 oz bomber poured into an Innis and Gunn tulip.

Pours a nice deep amber color with a slightly khaki head. Not a big head. Slight lacing.

Smells like savory meat. Smoked bacon. Very slight dark fruit. Kind of reminiscent of a Belgian quad, but it is very faint. No caramel malt sweetness that I expect from many bocks.

Tastes smoky and sweet at first. Kind of similar to a ketchup barbecue sauce. Huge flavor of smoked bacon on the finish. Not sure how much I like it. The more I taste it, the more the smokey flavor subdues and some more subtle tastes come forward. A malty sweetness as well a a dark fruit flavor, plum, date. Good mix between the sweet and smokey.

Medium bodied mouth. Slightly creamy like a heavier stout or porter, but still light enough to drink easily.

Reminiscent of barbecue. Interesting flavor and smell.

3.78/5  rDev -8%

A - Poured out of a bottle into a tulip glass. Lots of bubbles, almost transparent, rust-red color. No head.

S - Smoky, smoke smoke. Smells like right after I get the BBQ going but before I throw any meat on the grill. I also get a green olive scent at the beginning.

T - Smoke. Burnt wood. Sweet malt at the end. No bitterness at all. I think the smoke mellows out the intense malt sweetness that usually accompanies a bock.

M - Very crisp, it is a lager after all.

D - A good beer. There are not too many smoked beers made, so for that reason alone I tried it. Well worth it, though it was not my favorite smoked beer.

3.88/5  rDev -5.6%

no freshness date or markings to be found (unless I am just stupid, which is a distinct possibility)

2 full fingers of cream colored foam, clean amber hue with a nice amount of carbonation which keeps the head akimbo for some time, this also features some sticky lacing that claws at the side of the glass as the beer magically teleports to my stomach (it IS magic damnit!), nice looking brew

definitely pick up the cherry smoke immediately, sticking my schnozz deeper in I really get that bonfire of beech wood bamburg style aroma (yum), the malt can be detected but obviously the smoke is dominating here... and that is fine by me

taste etc...
nice chewy malt melds into smokey goodness, this drinks like a super clean german bock with that smoke smack, this is a hefty beer in the mouth and the carbonation is perfect (just on the edge of prickly but more pillowy than anything else), really nice malt profile here, it borders on sweetness without crossing into it, the cherry wood definitely adds a simple sour note into the mix which is interesting, some warming in the ole gullet is noticed from the kicked up ABV

I'm a sucker for smoked beers, this is a good one, I actually want MORE smoke flavor, but this is a damn fine balanced beer and if you like smoked beers (especially in the bamburg vein) definitely check this out

3.9/5  rDev -5.1%

Faint sudsy head with some with some dissipating fine surface. Light ruddy brown. Some lace.

Smokiness in the nose along with pickling vinegar (faint), and some slightly musty malt.

Plenty of bitter, slightly tangy, tannic beech smoke. Traces of sweet toffee on the finish.

Feel is standard, smooth, but went flat quite fast.

3.92/5  rDev -4.6%

Pours a cloudy medium amber. Normal head volume, above average retention and lacing. Excellent nose of wood smoke with distinct cherry like sweet notes. It lacks the meatiness of the Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbiers and is lower in intensity. Light medium body with a somewhat oily texture. Normal carbonation with a bit of effervescence in the finish. The flavor profile is outstanding and follows the nose in regard to Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbiers (no meat, less complex and less intense). It begins with a burst of smoke over a sweet cherry note. The middle is a subtle bitterness with an ashy quality over caramel sweetness. The finish is a slow fade of smoky sweetness with a slight alcohol note. A very good offering, especially for style introduction purposes, but not in the same league as Aecht Schlenkerla.

3.93/5  rDev -4.4%

Poured from 22oz bottle into 500ml Radeburger branded seidel.

Appearance: Pours a dark amber, almost cola, color with a substantial amber-tinted head that dissipates slowly. Fairly thick lacing left behind the head sticking to the sides of the glass.

Smell: Of course, the smokey meat aromas dominate. Backed up well by caramel and sweet plum alongside a touch of bread.

Taste: Begins sweet with a smoked meat flavor in the back of the mouth. Smokiness rounds out toward the finish, yielding to sweet dark grapes and caramel malt. Smokey flavors linger for a while on the far side of the palate.

Mouthfeel: Medium to heavy body with maybe a little bit too much carbonation and a slick finish.

Overall: Good beer and excellent representation of the style. Surprisingly well-balanced, as even in German versions of this style the smokiness overpowers almost everything else. Worth a taste and a good beer for a change of pace.

3.94/5  rDev -4.1%

Bottleshare from Darthkostrizer with BHOBS and Alucard4
Pours a hazy reddish brown with a very quick dissipating bubbly head. No retention obviously.

Holy shit. Smells exactly like uncooked applewood smoked bacon and/or smoked salmon(not fishy). Very nice yet strong smoke.

Tastes just like it smells. Very strong different smoky flavor but Good.

Good carbonation. Smooth and Medium bodied.

Overall at some point in trying this beer You Will Say Holy Shit! It is Unlike any any beer I've had and any smoked beer for that matter. Its very interesting but Good. Although it very hard to drink alot of it. Definitely a bottleshare.

3.95/5  rDev -3.9%

Pours a brilliant black with ruby tones and a 1-finger tan head. Weak retention and lace, as expected from such a malty brew.

The nose is a smoky, malty blast of barbequed pulled pork, woodsmoke and brown sugar with undertones of baked apples and peaches. Nothing over-the-top here- good balance and elegance in the aromas. And I dunno if it's just me and my mental associations, but I could swear I smelled the BBQ sauce in this too.

The palate, much like the nose, is hugely smoky- more bbq and toffee flavors- with a medium-body and a slight creaminess from the malt. The hoppiness is mild while the smoke, naturally, is what lingers on the nice finish.

A wonderful effort overall. I wouldn't go so far as to say world class, but the brew does have a nice bit of elegance which always gets more points from me. And the smokiness carries a lot of power without being too heavy.

3.97/5  rDev -3.4%

Complex enjoyable smoked. Tasty rich malt,caramel, woody,spicey, and balanced. Leans a tad to sweetness rather than bitterness. The smoke is significant in the aroma but not overwhelming. Above average mouthfeel. Yellow coloured body. Most drinkable.Thanks Augustgarage.

3.97/5  rDev -3.4%

Amber brown in color with very little head but a nice ring.
Nicely carbonated.

Smells like a camp fire, malts have a good sweet character with an abundance of smoke.

Taste is quite good with smokiness being pungent but not overwelming.
A sweet tasting bock with smokiness coming through around mid drink with a smooth mellow finish.

A good warming smoky beer.

look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

This was a Christmas gift that I've been somewhat apprehensive about opening. I've never had a rauchbier before and reading about bacon aromas makes me uneasy (I've been vegetarian for three years and have always hated bacon!). Anyway, here we go. Poured from a 22oz bottle into my Corsendonk Christmas Ale glass.

Appearance: Dark red, about SRM 34. An inch or two of head that settles down to a consistent few centimeters. Looks good!

Nose: At first, ham (as best as I can remember it, though it is similar to some vegan "ham" I had recently!), but then a dark fruit sweetness which I assume comes from the cherrywood? It's similar to a Belgian quad for a second there, but then it's followed immediately by salt.

Taste: At first there's the meaty, smoked wood flavor, and at the end is something akin to liquid smoke, but in between is that dark fruit sweetness - mostly cherry. I read one review that said it takes a few sips to get into these beers and I agree. By half a glass, it's less savory and more sweet. Nice, low carbonation, mouthfeel reminiscent of a quad.

Finish: Lingering bitterness, and some residual smoke.

OA: Pleasantly surprised! I didn't have high expectation for this going into it, but I'm happy to have tried it. Not a style I'm going to buy regularly, but I'll certainly return to the style (maybe to pair with some vegan food :D )

A: Quite a ruby red hue... deep, rich, almost sporting a soft glow. There's a bit of a sandy colour in the head. Not much for lacing, but the glass seems to be playing a role in that, as it has had a couple different brews in it, all of which laced poorly.

S + T: I thoroughly enjoy a good rauch, and this one performs quite well in the traditional 'ham and cheese sandwich' sense. It's not overly smoky, which is a positive thing in that it allows some of the other delicate scents and flavours to shine. Of those, I pick up on a light - but noticeable - fruitiness, both in nose and on the palate that seems a little odd.

worth note: after writing the above, I noticed the print on the side of the bottle to see that cherry wood is used in addition to beechwood. That would explain the fruitiness noted.

M + D: Body feels a little lighter in the mouthfeel, but seems to pick up a little weight after going down, however little sense that might make. The alcohol content is perhaps a little high, but a little slower sipping never hurt anyone. Not a bad take on the style, though I think I personally would have enjoyed it better if the actual smokiness were a touch more robust.

Look: Burnt orange in color with 1/4 inch head and no retention but did have some lacing

Smell: This beer smells like a campfire in a bottle also reminds me of burnt oak chips or smoked salmon

Taste: The flavor is this beer is quite unique. The smokiness is there in abundance and is pretty much just liquid smoke. Again the taste does follow suite with the noise there is a big smoked salmon flavor

Mouthfeel: Medium body and medium carbonation

Overall: If you love the idea of smoked anything actually you will love this beer. It is hands down one of the most smoky beers I have had to the point where it almost looses balance like say Alaskan smoked porter or Ass kisser smoked porter. However if you are into smoked beers this one is a must try

Overall a really nice and interesting beer. I saw this on the shelf and hadn't tried anything yet from this brewery but looked interesting. Figured I would try it. It was really a nice beer. It definitely had a lot of smoky and meaty flavor to it! Very interesting and nice beer overall, I would drink it again.

4.02/5  rDev -2.2%

On draught at The Beer Stein, Rauch Ür Bock is chestnut brown with a small off-white head that leaves no lace. Nice glow to it though.

Smell is smokey and sweet. Both cherry and beechwood were used, but I'm getting mostly cherry in the nose.

Taste is really quite smokey, the beechwood really asserting itself here, although the sweetness of the cherry wood and the malt is no slouch either. The smoke has a sharp phenolic quality that I get from peat, but with the sweetness I think it works well. Note it's not cloying, the sweetness is enjoyable and provides relative balance.

Mouthfeel is slick, some softness, a medium bodied, and smooth. Nice.

Drinkability is really quite good for such a smoke bomb. No doubt inspired by Aecht Schlenkerla, with the body and color of the marzen, but the punch of the ur bock, it one of the best stateside examples of the style, which is rarely attempted and even more rarely successful. I have to say, this was really good, and with just a touch less phenols, would be up a notch easily.

Rauch Ür Bock from Caldera Brewing Company