Rauch Ür Bock - Caldera Brewing Company

Caldera Brewing Company visit their website
Oregon, United States

Rauchbier |  7.40% ABV

Beer added by: msubulldog25 on 05-05-2010

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Rauch Ür Bock Alström Bros
3.22/5  rDev -21.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Review from 8/2010 notes. Poured into a Gulden Draak tulip. Pours a deep red/orange amber with little head and no lacing. Aroma of smoke and fruit. Strong smoke start with an average lager body. Light flavors of malt and fruit are overwhelmed by smoke, which leaves a chemically aftertaste, like burning electronic components. I didn't really enjoy this beer. I'm a fan of smoked beers, but the finish on this one was just way off for my taste. My experience was so much different from most others that I may have to revisit this beer in the future to see if I got an off bottle. (579 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +3.2%

Glass - Mug

A - A brighter mahogany colored brew with a good amount of light coming through. It produced a 2-finger head that dissipated rather fast. I didn't get any lacing on my Mug.

S - Leather and smokiness compete. It's dry with notes of alcohol and fig throughout. Brown sugar, and it really smells meaty and smokey.

T - Really not as sweet tasting as I expected. Upfront I pick up alcohol, fig, and prune. It quickly unfolds into smoke, charcoal, leather, dryness, brown sugar, and faint leafy hop flavors. It finishes with remnants of smoke, brown sugar, and soft notes of alcohol.

M - Smooth and creamy feel with low carbonation, and a medium-full body.

O - I'm really surprised that it's not too sweet. I really like the mouthfeel, it's not too thick and syrupy to me, and the look is welcoming as well. The smell isn't incredibly smokey, nor is the taste, but it's enough to make you want more for sure. Just a great Rauchbier, I'd definitely pick this one up again. Cheers! (990 characters)

4.56/5  rDev +10.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

glass: mug

a: Nothing fancy, a dark plumb-juice appearance with a slim tan head.

s: Excellent aroma, just a touch of underlying sweet malt with much of the smokey characters taking center stage. Brown sugar, mild plumb and grape for the malt. The smokey component brings bacon, leather and a subtle milky quality.

t: Smokey, bacony, leathery goodness from front to back. The malt base is strong but not overly sweet. The smokey flavor work well to balance things. Finishes rather clean with only some malt sweetness and bacony flavor.

m: Full bodied, low-medium carbonation but it feels light at the same time. The mild finish and it's interesting mouthfeel makes for a beer that isn't ask pallete fatiguing as i would expect.

o: Not bad at all, in fact pretty dark good. It was a bit warm i think a few degrees colder would make for an even enjoyable experience. (869 characters)

3.53/5  rDev -14.3%

A: Dark fruit brown with deep dark opaqueness. Small skim of off white head.

S: Not very aromatic. Smells mostly of dark fruits with a mild amount of smoke and warmth.

T: Olives! I hate Olives, especially in beer. There's also a Belgian character (not sure if there's any lagers that really produce this, it doesn't seem so much like a bock), dark fruits, and smoke with a sweetness that's warm, mildly spicy, and even almost tart. Olive character fades as it warms.

M: Mild-moderate carbonation, very drinkable, very friendly to the palate.

O: One of the more peculiar smoked beers I've ever had. Good, but not exceptional. (629 characters)

4.36/5  rDev +5.8%

Pours a murky light brown with a 1 inch fizzy tan head that settles to a film on the top of the beer. Small dots of lace slowly drip back into the remaining beer on the drink down. Smell is of smoked meat, smoked cheese, campfire smoke, etc. Taste is of smoked meat/cheese, campfire smoke, wood, and a slight cocoa/coffee flavor on the finish. The aftertaste is also cocoa/coffee with just a hint of the smoke flavors. This beer has a crisp level of carbonation with a bubbly mouthfeel. Overall this is a very good rauchbier from Caldera that has a bit of a different flavor than German rauchbiers. (598 characters)

3.9/5  rDev -5.3%

Faint sudsy head with some with some dissipating fine surface. Light ruddy brown. Some lace.

Smokiness in the nose along with pickling vinegar (faint), and some slightly musty malt.

Plenty of bitter, slightly tangy, tannic beech smoke. Traces of sweet toffee on the finish.

Feel is standard, smooth, but went flat quite fast. (328 characters)

4.07/5  rDev -1.2%

A new arrival to the West TN area...

Pours quite a bit lighter than I was expecting. Almost like a brown ale? Good head retention though...

Smoky bacon aromas upfront mesh with a sweet maltiness... This is definitely very smoky but not overpoweringly so... Its subtle at times and powerful at others on the nose... Like being in a smokehouse after the meat has already been removed... Very interesting...

Sweet caramel malts surprise me as I thought the smoke would hit hard right off the bat... The smokiness here is beautifully done... Not a smoke bomb but rather the smoked meat flavors run parallel to the sweetness darting in and out, here and there...

Very good example from Caldera here. Excellent use of the smoke with its subtleties... (749 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +10.9%

Sampled 10/30/11 - Transferring the notes.

A ruby pour with a half finger, off white head. Opaque. Smells like bacon it's so smoky. Very much a wood smoked scent, great on an autumn night. The flavor is full but not overbearing, smoky with a hint of sweetness. I dig this a lot, will seek out other rauchbiers for some comparison. (331 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +4.9%

This is my first rauchbier.
Pours a burnt amber. Good head.
Holy smoked meat! This has huge beef jerky on the nose. Salty smoked meat goodness.
Tastes about the same as it the nose. Wood, smoked meat, cured meat, soy sauce.
This is delicious for the first 6-8oz, then it gets to be a little much. I imagine after having this a few times, you appreciate the flavors more. Maybe I should've picked a tamer rauchbier to be my first (430 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +7.3%

A: Pours a rich, ruby color, clear. Maybe a finger of off-white head. Thin cap with thick ring of bubbles around the edge of the glass. Light lacing.

S: Wow. Smoked meat balanced by caramel, bready sweetness. I wish they would make this smell into a cologne..no shit, I'd wear it to special occasions.

T: Taste is equally as good. Smoked meat with just a hint of peet. The nice thing about this beer is the smoked characteristics don't overpower the rest of the beer. The caramel, bready malts hold up nicely and there seems to a slightly hoppy finish.

M: A little on the light side, but it's still manages to be somewhat creamy.

O: I had heard some good things about this beer and it certainly lived up to my expectations. It's a very well crafted beer where the smoke asserts itself, but doesn't drown out everything else. I'll pick this up again without a doubt. (872 characters)

4.76/5  rDev +15.5%

Pours a mahogany color, rich, with a tan head. a finger, didn't stick around.

Holy smokes! This is one of the most smokiest beer I've ever had! BUT. It's balance and not one sided. Smoke, cured bacon, rich caramel malts. More smoke. Ok, maybe it one sided, but it's heavenly.

Rich caramel malts and salty cured bacon strips. Bacon lover right here, so, I don't feel the need to go on.

Lighter, but medium in body. feels fine. Nothing tremendous.

Aroma and flavor alone are mouthwatering. Bravo. More please!!! (516 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +7.3%

Pours light caramel brown with reddish highlights. The crisp white head doesn't hang around long, but quickly dissipates to a thin ring.

Aroma is intense meaty smokyness. Underneath is a mild malty sweetness.

Taste is really interesting. The smoked meat quality is retained, but there is also a generous earthy, woody character. Caramel and toffee really round things out. Finishes with a mildly dry cedar character.

Mouthfeel is a chewy, medium body.

A flavorful brew. Strong smokiness is tempered by the rich caramel malt qualities. A real winner that could bring the non-smoke lover around. (597 characters)

4.34/5  rDev +5.3%

Poured a slightly cloudy deep amber/red color with a thin soap ring of head.

The smell is amazing, big bacony smoked pork Rauch goodness.

The taste follows the flavors nicely with a big smoked malt flavor with a nice bit of underlying sweetness, very pork like and very flavorful. Has a nice light bitterness in the finish that helps even it out very well.

The mouthfeel is very slick and oily.

Great Rauchbier! (415 characters)

4.39/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Big thanks to N2168 for knocking this off my wants. Poured into a stone nonic and shared with my buddy Ryan.

This was quite delicious. The pour made it seem a little lacking in carbonation, and while indeed it was light in carbonation I think it would have been awkward if it had been heavier considering the taste profile. This beer does such a good job of hitting the sweet and savory side of smoke. Nice big campfire smoke smell and taste without any roughness to it, with a nice smoked bacon savory sweetness. This is easy to drink and just downright delicious, would love to have a keg of this by my desk. (612 characters)

4.22/5  rDev +2.4%

On tap last night at the Caldera Tap House.

Pours a bright and clear brown color, with a small white head.

Aromas are quite potent. Lots of interesting smoke notes here, smoked meat, charred wood, like a camp out in a glass. Very nice.

Flavor is like the nose, but toned down just a bit. Light caramel, bready, and slightly sweet up front. Beer then settles Into a smoke house flavor, hints of charred wood, and jerky.

Mouthfeel is good, full, smooth, but not heavy at all.

Overall, this is a really well made smoked lager. The nose is wonderfull. But the beer turns out to be plenty drinkable, I usually am a one and done with smoked beers, not this one. Another great offering from Caldera. (697 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +14.6%

22 oz. Think I picked this up in Chicago Binny's Oak Park.
Solid amber/brown pour, half finger of off white head disappated to a ring, but lasted.

Smoked malt, peat, canadian bacon and some malty caramel. Starting out real well.

Taste, solid dose of smoked ham, bacon, peat and a woodiness. Caramelly malt body is there, almost some faint raisin or apple cider, then finishes with solid bbq.
The real deal, far far and away the best American version I've had of this style. So few try this style, even less accomplish the task.

Lighter side of medium bodied. Coats well, goes down smooth, no alcohol. 7.4 is a little larger than some for the style, but it doesn't show itself.

Best brew I've had in a while. First I've had from this brewery, if their others are even close to as good as this I won't be disapointed. (819 characters)

4.03/5  rDev -2.2%

Poured into a 1/2 liter stein a deep rich amber/bronze with a fluffy one finger head that took its time fading.Sweet smoke,brown,sugar,a bit of alcohol in the nose,mellow and sweetish,I found it appetizing.Cherry wood sweetness and light peppery spice in the nose,its gentle sweet smoke instead of in your face,mellow but assertive enough.A real nice smoked bock beer,I will grab a few of these this fall while eating alot of smoked meat off my smoker. (452 characters)

4.22/5  rDev +2.4%

A- Semi aggressive pour produces a 1-1/2 finger very light brown head that rests atop a beautiful deep copper colored beer with nice clarity. Nicve lacing.

S- Very similar to a smoked porter but more smoke. The smoke smell is beautiful. It smells like a campfire and the cherry wood is definitely present. Excellent smelling beer.

T- WOW! They were not kidding on the bottle when they said it has an intense smoke flavor. It is excellent and I could see some folks that the smoke is too in-your-face, but I love smoked beers and I love this one. This is as smoked wood forward as I've ever had. It's pretty much smoky wood, a slight malt sweetness, and finishes woody and smokey again. This is a perfect fall beer.

M- Nice smooth mouthfeel with good carbonation.

O- Not too complex because of the intense smoke taste but it works excellent in this beer. I will definitely be picking this up again. (904 characters)

Look: Burnt orange in color with 1/4 inch head and no retention but did have some lacing

Smell: This beer smells like a campfire in a bottle also reminds me of burnt oak chips or smoked salmon

Taste: The flavor is this beer is quite unique. The smokiness is there in abundance and is pretty much just liquid smoke. Again the taste does follow suite with the noise there is a big smoked salmon flavor

Mouthfeel: Medium body and medium carbonation

Overall: If you love the idea of smoked anything actually you will love this beer. It is hands down one of the most smoky beers I have had to the point where it almost looses balance like say Alaskan smoked porter or Ass kisser smoked porter. However if you are into smoked beers this one is a must try (752 characters)

3.94/5  rDev -4.4%

Bottleshare from Darthkostrizer with BHOBS and Alucard4
Pours a hazy reddish brown with a very quick dissipating bubbly head. No retention obviously.

Holy shit. Smells exactly like uncooked applewood smoked bacon and/or smoked salmon(not fishy). Very nice yet strong smoke.

Tastes just like it smells. Very strong different smoky flavor but Good.

Good carbonation. Smooth and Medium bodied.

Overall at some point in trying this beer You Will Say Holy Shit! It is Unlike any any beer I've had and any smoked beer for that matter. Its very interesting but Good. Although it very hard to drink alot of it. Definitely a bottleshare. (639 characters)

3.26/5  rDev -20.9%

Amber to yeloowcolored, was expecting darker, kind of even had a good degree of clarity to it. Holy cherry wood campfire smoke! This smelled just like you were out in the woods.

Whoa, I could only take a small sip at first, massive liquid smoke feeling in the mouthfeel. Ugh. Its not so much as 'bad' as opposed to 'challenging'. I must admit, I could not even finish a taster of it. This is the most intense smoked beer I've ever come across, by far. I mean, beer geek bacon was a walk in the park compared to this.

I could smell it all day. As far as drinking it, I'm cool with 1oz at a time, its that intense. If you like smoked beers, then check this out. If not, stay away. I kind of like them, trying to get into them more, so I'd try it again next time, but for now, I'm not worthy. (792 characters)

3.95/5  rDev -4.1%

Pours a brilliant black with ruby tones and a 1-finger tan head. Weak retention and lace, as expected from such a malty brew.

The nose is a smoky, malty blast of barbequed pulled pork, woodsmoke and brown sugar with undertones of baked apples and peaches. Nothing over-the-top here- good balance and elegance in the aromas. And I dunno if it's just me and my mental associations, but I could swear I smelled the BBQ sauce in this too.

The palate, much like the nose, is hugely smoky- more bbq and toffee flavors- with a medium-body and a slight creaminess from the malt. The hoppiness is mild while the smoke, naturally, is what lingers on the nice finish.

A wonderful effort overall. I wouldn't go so far as to say world class, but the brew does have a nice bit of elegance which always gets more points from me. And the smokiness carries a lot of power without being too heavy. (882 characters)

3.61/5  rDev -12.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

I have been thinking of picking up a bottle of this for a while

pours a deep deep red, glowing, standing out a lot

smell of slight smoke, peat, a bit of cherry, bbq

Taste is mostly peated malt smoke, a lot of it...i was expecting more smokey, not peated. still a bit of darker, roasted fruits, a bit of burnt sugar, some peanut but overall makes it pretty unique.

Mouthfeel is really smooth, lower carbed tickles the tongue just right, goes down well

Overall its not bad, but as far as a rauch, feels like to much of that peated taste, dont know if I would pick it amongst other smoked beers. (597 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +5.6%

"Warning, this beer has an intense smoke flavor." Warning...'cuz the flavor may cause me to overdose? I'll leave it at that and hope I don't O.D. off this 22 ounce bottle. On to the beer:

The chestnut colored body is a looker in the stange glass. On top, the head has a beige color, a somewhat creamy texture, several groupings of lace sticking around and retention. The rauch part is done extremely well; mouth-watering jerkied meats stand out above with a little sweetness and a kiss of leafy hop.

There's a lot of meat on the bones of this beer. Loads and loads and maltiness and medium smokiness make this a winner. The two run in sperate stages and never cross into each other's territory, which in this case I adore. Its got the smokiness that I would find in a summer sausage. On the malty side, there's loads of caramel. Little notes of ash give me the impression that I'm at a campfire. Hints of brown sugar. Alcohol slowly gets noticed, but in a good way; here it brings notes of raisin. There is a moderate hoppiness that can be sensed for a brief second, catch it before the smoke and malt beat it down. On the fuller side in terms of mouthfeel, quite smooth with the bubbles very small yet enough to be felt.

If I hadn't stuffed myself with Chinese food earlier in the night, I may have been more tempted to overdose on Rauch Ur Bock. Only kidding, I have a good idea when to stop. Warning, you may be temped buy more bottles after you try your first. In short, superb. (1,487 characters)

4.69/5  rDev +13.8%

A-Bright, crystal clear, copper with a medium tan head that slowly fades to a thin cap and leaves light lace.

S-Campfire smoke with a subtle hit of applewoods smoked bacon. Sweet caramel malt and spicy pepper notes accent in the background.

T-Yes, this is a smoked brew but it never comes off as over the top. In fact it is about as perfect as it can get. Dry, woody smokiness and spicy, herbal hops dominate. Caramel malt sweetness provides a healthy backbone with tones of toasted biscuit, apple and buckwheat honey.

M-Medium bodied with a feel that is bigger than it really is. Smooth and slick with a drying, woody astringency in the finish. Nice lingering sweet smokiness.

D-Simply put--->OUTSTANDING! Quite possibly one of the finest Rauch beers I have had the pleasure of imbibing! This is a beer I wish I would have tried sooner so I could have gone out and stocked up on. Well done Caldera, this is a beer you should be VERY proud of! (950 characters)

Rauch Ür Bock from Caldera Brewing Company