Rauch Ür Bock - Caldera Brewing Company

Rauch Ãœr BockRauch Ãœr Bock

Caldera Brewing Company visit their website
Oregon, United States

Rauchbier |  7.40% ABV

(Beer added by: msubulldog25 on 05-05-2010)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Rauch Ür Bock Alström Bros
4.5/5  rDev +11.1%

4.26/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

I spotted this 22oz bomber at the Brattleboro Co-op last Saturday and scooped it, setting me about $7 arrears...

Opted to use a small tulip for this one, and filled it about 2/3 full. Color is a clear, bright copper, with some orange glimmering as well. Carbo is scattered and slow, and the head is light tan, quite thin and fine, and mostly gathers at the edges. Lacing is a tad on the light side. The aroma is lovely, placing me somewhere in Bamberg. Has some toasty malts and a healthy whiff of smoke. Oh my! Body is a solid medium, and it is quite easy-going on the tongue. Fairly smooth, and a bit light.

Flavor? I'm still in Bamberg!! This has a lovely layer of caramel and toasty malts, providing some subtle sweetness at the outset. Then you'll get a solid smack of Rauch! I think the cherrywood-smoked grains provide a nice balance to the typically dry beechwood action, and even provide a suggestion of black cherries themself. Quite nice! Would love to have this on tap sometime... Prosit!

4.26/5 rDev +5.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.23/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

bomber into a flute. bout a year old.

dark caramel color with a nice inch thick head. smell is of candied...smoked ham. mmmm. taste is quite sweet up front and follows with a tad bit of smoke. extremely palatable. lovely, actually. very light bodied but it doesn't detract. very much recommended

4.25/5  rDev +4.9%

3.85/5  rDev -4.9%

no freshness date or markings to be found (unless I am just stupid, which is a distinct possibility)

eyes...
2 full fingers of cream colored foam, clean amber hue with a nice amount of carbonation which keeps the head akimbo for some time, this also features some sticky lacing that claws at the side of the glass as the beer magically teleports to my stomach (it IS magic damnit!), nice looking brew

nose...
definitely pick up the cherry smoke immediately, sticking my schnozz deeper in I really get that bonfire of beech wood bamburg style aroma (yum), the malt can be detected but obviously the smoke is dominating here... and that is fine by me

taste etc...
nice chewy malt melds into smokey goodness, this drinks like a super clean german bock with that smoke smack, this is a hefty beer in the mouth and the carbonation is perfect (just on the edge of prickly but more pillowy than anything else), really nice malt profile here, it borders on sweetness without crossing into it, the cherry wood definitely adds a simple sour note into the mix which is interesting, some warming in the ole gullet is noticed from the kicked up ABV

verdict?
I'm a sucker for smoked beers, this is a good one, I actually want MORE smoke flavor, but this is a damn fine balanced beer and if you like smoked beers (especially in the bamburg vein) definitely check this out

3.93/5  rDev -3%

Poured from 22oz bottle into 500ml Radeburger branded seidel.

Appearance: Pours a dark amber, almost cola, color with a substantial amber-tinted head that dissipates slowly. Fairly thick lacing left behind the head sticking to the sides of the glass.

Smell: Of course, the smokey meat aromas dominate. Backed up well by caramel and sweet plum alongside a touch of bread.

Taste: Begins sweet with a smoked meat flavor in the back of the mouth. Smokiness rounds out toward the finish, yielding to sweet dark grapes and caramel malt. Smokey flavors linger for a while on the far side of the palate.

Mouthfeel: Medium to heavy body with maybe a little bit too much carbonation and a slick finish.

Overall: Good beer and excellent representation of the style. Surprisingly well-balanced, as even in German versions of this style the smokiness overpowers almost everything else. Worth a taste and a good beer for a change of pace.

look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

This was a Christmas gift that I've been somewhat apprehensive about opening. I've never had a rauchbier before and reading about bacon aromas makes me uneasy (I've been vegetarian for three years and have always hated bacon!). Anyway, here we go. Poured from a 22oz bottle into my Corsendonk Christmas Ale glass.

Appearance: Dark red, about SRM 34. An inch or two of head that settles down to a consistent few centimeters. Looks good!

Nose: At first, ham (as best as I can remember it, though it is similar to some vegan "ham" I had recently!), but then a dark fruit sweetness which I assume comes from the cherrywood? It's similar to a Belgian quad for a second there, but then it's followed immediately by salt.

Taste: At first there's the meaty, smoked wood flavor, and at the end is something akin to liquid smoke, but in between is that dark fruit sweetness - mostly cherry. I read one review that said it takes a few sips to get into these beers and I agree. By half a glass, it's less savory and more sweet. Nice, low carbonation, mouthfeel reminiscent of a quad.

Finish: Lingering bitterness, and some residual smoke.

OA: Pleasantly surprised! I didn't have high expectation for this going into it, but I'm happy to have tried it. Not a style I'm going to buy regularly, but I'll certainly return to the style (maybe to pair with some vegan food :D )

4.16/5  rDev +2.7%

The beer comes in a caramel ruby color with a tan head.

The aroma has tons of bacon and smoke. A toffee sweetness and fruity cherry wood.

The flavor follows with a baconey smoke in the front, some spiciness, and then a caramel sweetness. A medium mouthfeel.

A very well done beer that is traditional like Schlenkerla's beers.

2.5/5  rDev -38.3%

4.25/5  rDev +4.9%

2.93/5  rDev -27.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2.5

It's hard to rate this beer and that's because I didn't like it. I don't have time to write a full review so I will edit this later but for those who are interested this was an intensely smokey beer. The smoke flavor was over powering and I didn't enjoy it - which is odd because I would bathe in a smokehouse if I could! For some reason it just didn't work for this beer.

3.64/5  rDev -10.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Curious about this 22oz smoked lager I picked one up. As soon as I opened the bottle smoked aroma was all I could smell. poured half a pint for taste, it was most definitely the smokiest beer I have ever tasted.
For me this is not a beer I can drink more than a few gulps out of the glass. However, I did use the rest of this brew to cook with. I had made a smoked gouda and cheddar cheese dip for serving with soft pretzels. I added the remainder of the beer and it came out fantastic! the dip didn't last the first quarter of the football game last week.

4.04/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

Pours clear copper (SRM 17-19) with ruby red highlights. A sparkling, golden cascade quickly builds a three-inch, khaki foam that drops to ¼ inch while leaving trails of lace on the Stiegl stange.

Strong charcoal or campfire smoke is nice. Especially nice is that the summer sausage is relegated to the background. Also noted charred steak and cashews.

This has light-to-barely-noticeable bitterness with lightly toasted malt, late sweetness and meaty flavors. The lingering finish vacillates between mild smoked gouda and cashews. Surprisingly, the flavors were clean.

Light-to-medium body with moderate carbonation, no sense of alcohol, and a smooth, soft texture.

This is a very easy-drinking beer to relax with. Given its relatively high alcohol, it could be dangerous, but nevertheless, quite enjoyable.

4.44/5  rDev +9.6%

Poured into a 16 oz Goose Island Glass

Appearance: Heavy amber, with a thin bubbly white head.

Smell: Smoked wood, Spicy and sweet from the malt characteristics.

Taste: earthy, meaty smoked, spicy, but not bitter with honey-like, vanilla sweetness.

Mouthfeel: Medium with moderate carbonation.

Overall: This beer paired excellent with the beef jerky. I would say that this beer will pair great for smoked cookouts: steak, chicken, sausage. This is an excellent representation of the American Rauch Beer. I think Caldera Brewing Company did an excellent job.

4.06/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

bottle into Duvel glass

appearance: dark mahogany brown, with some dark red when you hold it up to the light. slightly off white 1 finger head

smell: smokey, roasted malts, beef jerky, pepper, earthy grains

taste: mellow, smooth roasted smokey taste, not as intense of a smokey, beef jerky flavor as an Aecht Schlenkerla Urbock, but you can taste the warmness from the alcohol. Some earthy hops mix together with a coffee/dark chocolately english malt backbone. More watery than other smoked beers i've had.

mouthfeel: not a whole lot of carbonation, average body

overall: A great Rauchbier, but not as good as the originals from Bamburg, Germany. Still, this is a great brew that any beer advocate would enjoy, great roasted smokey flavor that pairs well with smoked foods and beef jerky. I will gladly buy this again, as I am a huge fan of Rauchbiers.

4.16/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Pours a thick amber brown. One finger tan head. Has some constant carbonation bubbles floating up.

Smells of woody earthy smoky goodness. There's a slight malty sweetness.

Taste is nicely woody with lots of burnt smoke. There's a nice sweetness coming through like something from caramel malts or caramelized brown sugar.

Mouthfeel is crisp and full bodied. Moderate carbonation keeps this very drinkable.

Overall, this is fantastic. It's well balanced and has all the great smoked qualities I love. After this beer I feel like I've sat around a campfire. An entire 22 ounce bottle might be a bit much for this flavourful beer though.

4.15/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Enjoyed on 4/22 with my wife and visiting mother-in-law. My wife took one sip and then handed me back the 3 oz I poured for her. My MIL found it "interesting."

Poured a ruby-brown-plum, very interesting color, but had a thin cola-fizz type of tan head without much else.

Aroma was initially ALL smoke - not overpowering bacon smoke but a nice woodsy/campfire smokiness. The more I let it sit, the more I got a very complex mix of fruit: figs, apple along with a softer smoky blend.

Taste was similar and massively complex. I drank the bottle over a 30-40 minute time frame which really brought out some subtlety. If taking successive sips, the smokiness became much less intense and gave way to a very sweet cherry, raisiny-apple blend and some big malt angles. If I walked away from it for a few mins and then came back for a sip, the intense woody-smoke came back to the forefront. A true tasting experience

Mouthfeel was also quite complex in that it had a smooth character right at the start but then a coarse, almost abrasive fullness ripped through the middle. It stayed chewy and then finished sticky sweet but not over-the-top. The balance of smoke and sweetness lingered and lingered. Very cool.

I would certainly have this beer again. I will need to remind myself to really take time with it to get a full experience. Not many beers take you in so many directions as this rauchbier manages to do.

3.5/5  rDev -13.6%

4.11/5  rDev +1.5%

7.5% ABV confirmed. Smoked lager. 1 pint 6 fl oz brown glass bottle with standard pressure cap served into a Samuel Smith's conical pint glass in me gaff in low altitude Los Feliz, Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live. Expectations are high given its current ratings.

Served straight from the fridge and allowed to warm over the course of consumption. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: Pours a 2.5 finger head - disappointingly thin - without much cream. Retention is average (~2 minutes). Body colour is a rich translucent clear amber. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show. A bit lighter than expected for the style. Not unique or special, but generally appealing.

Sm: Heavy smoke and bacon notes. Roast. Caramel. I do get cherry wood. It's quite evocative and appealing - moreso than many beers in the style. The smokey notes aren't muddled; they have serious depth. A moderate strength aroma.

T: Delightful cherry wood notes. Rich evocative smokey notes. Very woody and tasty, like smoked barbecue. There's a rich malty foundation beneath it lending support and even a refreshing feel - like a good amber paired with barbecue all built into a beer. The amber malts are well executed, giving it a rich core. No yeast character or alcohol comes through. I quite fancy it. Very well balanced and built, with complexity and subtlety. Subtlety is very hard to accomplish in a rauchbier, but this one succeeds. Impressive depth of flavour, particularly concerning the smoke. Even Schlenkerla didn't have the depth of flavour I get off the smokey notes here.

Mf: Smooth and wet. Perfect coarseness to bring out the flavours without inhibiting drinkability. Carbonation is perfect. It's soft yet thick. Feels tailored specifically to its flavour profile. Quite delightful.

Dr: Very drinkable for the well-hidden high ABV as well as for the style, which is often not very drinkable at all. I'd definitely have this again, preferably on-draught. I could down this all night, and you don't hear that about many rauchbiers. Definitely among the best beers in the style that I've had. A very impressive offering from Caldera. Makes me want to try more of their beers. I love the woody smokey complexity.

A-