Rauch Ür Bock - Caldera Brewing Company

Caldera Brewing Company visit their website
Oregon, United States

Rauchbier |  7.40% ABV

Beer added by: msubulldog25 on 05-05-2010

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Rauch Ür Bock Alström Bros
firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last
3.61/5  rDev -12.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

I have been thinking of picking up a bottle of this for a while

pours a deep deep red, glowing, standing out a lot

smell of slight smoke, peat, a bit of cherry, bbq

Taste is mostly peated malt smoke, a lot of it...i was expecting more smokey, not peated. still a bit of darker, roasted fruits, a bit of burnt sugar, some peanut but overall makes it pretty unique.

Mouthfeel is really smooth, lower carbed tickles the tongue just right, goes down well

Overall its not bad, but as far as a rauch, feels like to much of that peated taste, dont know if I would pick it amongst other smoked beers.

4.35/5  rDev +5.8%

"Warning, this beer has an intense smoke flavor." Warning...'cuz the flavor may cause me to overdose? I'll leave it at that and hope I don't O.D. off this 22 ounce bottle. On to the beer:

The chestnut colored body is a looker in the stange glass. On top, the head has a beige color, a somewhat creamy texture, several groupings of lace sticking around and retention. The rauch part is done extremely well; mouth-watering jerkied meats stand out above with a little sweetness and a kiss of leafy hop.

There's a lot of meat on the bones of this beer. Loads and loads and maltiness and medium smokiness make this a winner. The two run in sperate stages and never cross into each other's territory, which in this case I adore. Its got the smokiness that I would find in a summer sausage. On the malty side, there's loads of caramel. Little notes of ash give me the impression that I'm at a campfire. Hints of brown sugar. Alcohol slowly gets noticed, but in a good way; here it brings notes of raisin. There is a moderate hoppiness that can be sensed for a brief second, catch it before the smoke and malt beat it down. On the fuller side in terms of mouthfeel, quite smooth with the bubbles very small yet enough to be felt.

If I hadn't stuffed myself with Chinese food earlier in the night, I may have been more tempted to overdose on Rauch Ur Bock. Only kidding, I have a good idea when to stop. Warning, you may be temped buy more bottles after you try your first. In short, superb.

4.69/5  rDev +14.1%

A-Bright, crystal clear, copper with a medium tan head that slowly fades to a thin cap and leaves light lace.

S-Campfire smoke with a subtle hit of applewoods smoked bacon. Sweet caramel malt and spicy pepper notes accent in the background.

T-Yes, this is a smoked brew but it never comes off as over the top. In fact it is about as perfect as it can get. Dry, woody smokiness and spicy, herbal hops dominate. Caramel malt sweetness provides a healthy backbone with tones of toasted biscuit, apple and buckwheat honey.

M-Medium bodied with a feel that is bigger than it really is. Smooth and slick with a drying, woody astringency in the finish. Nice lingering sweet smokiness.

D-Simply put--->OUTSTANDING! Quite possibly one of the finest Rauch beers I have had the pleasure of imbibing! This is a beer I wish I would have tried sooner so I could have gone out and stocked up on. Well done Caldera, this is a beer you should be VERY proud of!

Overall a really nice and interesting beer. I saw this on the shelf and hadn't tried anything yet from this brewery but looked interesting. Figured I would try it. It was really a nice beer. It definitely had a lot of smoky and meaty flavor to it! Very interesting and nice beer overall, I would drink it again.

3.97/5  rDev -3.4%

Amber brown in color with very little head but a nice ring.
Nicely carbonated.

Smells like a camp fire, malts have a good sweet character with an abundance of smoke.

Taste is quite good with smokiness being pungent but not overwelming.
A sweet tasting bock with smokiness coming through around mid drink with a smooth mellow finish.

A good warming smoky beer.

4.06/5  rDev -1.2%

Poured from a bomber into a shaker pint glass.

A: Clear, dark amber color with one finger of diminishing off-white foam head. Light lacing remains on the glass.

S: Sweet woodsmoke is intense, developing fruity and savory complexity that distinguishes itself above the Bavarian archetypes.

T: Begins off-dry, with caramel and sharp woodsmoke that becomes more dry by the middle. Acidity flares early but remains mild overall. Smoke nearly persists throughout, but diminishes by the clean, short finish.

M: Thin to medium viscosity, wet on the palate but becoming a bit too insubstantial, with moderate carbonation.

D/O: This Oregon-brewed rauchbeer develops some of the most intense woodsmoke essence encountered thus far, but it may be at the expense of the strong lager that is its base. Deciphels of the imports from Bamberg would find this beer's intensity surprising--if not off-putting--but it does struggle to leave any impression other than aggressively pungent woodsmoke.

3.97/5  rDev -3.4%

Complex enjoyable smoked. Tasty rich malt,caramel, woody,spicey, and balanced. Leans a tad to sweetness rather than bitterness. The smoke is significant in the aroma but not overwhelming. Above average mouthfeel. Yellow coloured body. Most drinkable.Thanks Augustgarage.

4.15/5  rDev +1%

This beer pours a dark amber color, with a perfect size head that did dispate quickly. The smell is strongly of malts, and a smokyness. The taste starts off very malty, smoked flavors, then finishs with a smoked sausage like flavor. The aftertaste is strongly of a smoked meat; and the flavor stays on your palette for some time, also nicely carbonated. Overall fantastic beer, very odd, but still enjoyable.

3.58/5  rDev -12.9%

This is the first Rauchbier that I have reviewed. I had it at the Bier Stein in Eugene, OR.

-a dark but translucent amber with a small head that remains on the edge, with slight lacing in the middle
-aroma: smoked bacon, smoky wood flavor (cherry, beechwood), smoke in general
-medium carbonation
-crisp lager flavor at the beginning that is then overwhelmed by the smoky flavor, some caramel undertones, feels like you're exhaling a campfire
-smoky flavor remains in your mouth indefinitely? My friend could still smell smoke on my breath an hour later on the way home even though I was in the back seat and had a breathmint!
-leaves a dry, spinach-like feeling in the mouth

The smoke was pretty intense. I enjoyed it okay, but I'll have to try some other Rauchbier to compare...

4.3/5  rDev +4.6%

Pours a rich burnt caramel hue with some deep amber hues... dark for a rauchbier. a surprisingly dark tan head slowly fades and leaves ample lacing.

aroma is pungently smokey... sweet malt, sweet smoke, and some salted caramel in the nose.

the taste, as expected, is smokey. Not the smokiest or most pungent smoke profile I've experienced, but damn up there. and I think it's the intense rich malt and sweetness from the malt that keeps the smoke slightly tamed. A touch of lemon and citrus fruitiness in the finish which blends perfectly with the cherry smoke.

It's not as crisp or dry as other Rachbiers, and it seems a bit more full-bodied, with almost a touch of syrupiness to it. which is kind of an interesting take on it. I'm digging it.

I'm not usually one to say this, but it's almost a touch malt-forward. Not that it's a bad thing. I think this is probably my favorite domestically produced Rauchbier I've had the pleasure of tasting. It really hits on all cylinders. A touch sweet and malt forward, but all in all, it does what it's going for and works beautifully. Definitely worth seeking out.

4.02/5  rDev -2.2%

On draught at The Beer Stein, Rauch Ür Bock is chestnut brown with a small off-white head that leaves no lace. Nice glow to it though.

Smell is smokey and sweet. Both cherry and beechwood were used, but I'm getting mostly cherry in the nose.

Taste is really quite smokey, the beechwood really asserting itself here, although the sweetness of the cherry wood and the malt is no slouch either. The smoke has a sharp phenolic quality that I get from peat, but with the sweetness I think it works well. Note it's not cloying, the sweetness is enjoyable and provides relative balance.

Mouthfeel is slick, some softness, a medium bodied, and smooth. Nice.

Drinkability is really quite good for such a smoke bomb. No doubt inspired by Aecht Schlenkerla, with the body and color of the marzen, but the punch of the ur bock, it one of the best stateside examples of the style, which is rarely attempted and even more rarely successful. I have to say, this was really good, and with just a touch less phenols, would be up a notch easily.

3.53/5  rDev -14.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Got this in a 22 ounce bomber. It poured a deep bright brown with a pretty small head.

Aromas of smoked kielba, and dark roasted malts.

This beer was OK but for a style that I like so much it did'nt really please as much as I thought it would. It had a nice amount of smokiness to it. Really obvious and pretty strong but not charred. But the oily consistency of the beer along with the huge saltiness made the beer less than I was hoping for.

It was still a beer that I'm glad I grabbed. They don't make many in the style anyways.

3.65/5  rDev -11.2%

When I'm in the mood for something different from my usual assortment of IPA's I usually reach for a smoked beer like a Rauchbier or Porters.

Wow this is the mother load of smoked dominance. Nothing subtle about this liquid smoke bomb. Concentrated ash and dried aromatic kindling. Damp Tobacco just adds to the one sided affair. If I had to reach for some balance there is a faint raisin type sweetness buried in the finish.

Notes: I'd be interested to see exactly how they brewed this beer. The smoke seems more of an extract additive than natural smoke. A bit much for me. However, a 12oz bottle would have been more appealing for one sitting and it has nothing to do with the moderate ABV. Its a rich SOB.

4.32/5  rDev +5.1%

22oz bottle.

Pours clear amber with a tight, half inch head of bone. Thin but webbed lacing and a partial skim coat for the duration.

Aromatics lead off with a blast of smoked malts and caramel. Quite meaty and plump with plenty of doughy malt and smoldering wood. Very nice.

Medium bodied with a crisp, slightly tacky mouthfeel. A hint of chew adds some substance.

Sweet malt and wafting smoke start the palate.
A crisp, clean Munich profile is the perfect arena for plenty of Beechwood smoke with hints of bacon and char.

Finishes with unrelenting smoke and rich malt.

Great beer. Loads of smoke and very authentic.

3.78/5  rDev -8%

A - Poured out of a bottle into a tulip glass. Lots of bubbles, almost transparent, rust-red color. No head.

S - Smoky, smoke smoke. Smells like right after I get the BBQ going but before I throw any meat on the grill. I also get a green olive scent at the beginning.

T - Smoke. Burnt wood. Sweet malt at the end. No bitterness at all. I think the smoke mellows out the intense malt sweetness that usually accompanies a bock.

M - Very crisp, it is a lager after all.

D - A good beer. There are not too many smoked beers made, so for that reason alone I tried it. Well worth it, though it was not my favorite smoked beer.

4.41/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Deep cherry body with a faint beige head the recedes to nothing. No cap, no wisp ring, no lacing. Can't say this looks like anything special.

Smokey and spicy summer sausage is all I can smell no matter how I try. It is however a wonderful aroma that I really enjoy.

Wow! We have liquid bacon in a glass here! Although initially the cured meat taste is so intense I can't look past it, I was finally able to pick on its other dynamics half way through the bomber. Sweet stone fruits and a touch of orange zest add their nuances to the flavor. Its more complex than I usually find smoked beers to be and I can really enjoy it!

Semi-thin in body with fine prickly carbonation is a nice contrast to such a powerful flavor profile. Anything heavier may have been too much. Finishes clean.

I found this a little difficult to drink at first due to its uniqueness, but grew accustomed to the pungency. This is a nice sipper if given a chance and I'm really glad I tried it. Recommended.

4.59/5  rDev +11.7%

Poured from a 22oz bomber into my Ayinger Celebrator Doppelbock glass.

Brilliantly clear rufous body with faint sienna then amber highlights. A faint yellow-ish beige head persists. Light soapy lacing.

Melanoidin drenched smoked dark brown sugar laden bready malt aromatics. Simple but absolutely entrancing - takes hold of your reptile brain like bacon.

Sweet fruity malty palate entry suffused with delicate layers of smoke. I can't quite tease apart the beechwood and cherry, but the latter adds a bright complexity to the darker tones of the beechwood (which is more standard for this style I believe). Fine smoked ham, pink peppercorn, carmelized winter squash, rye bread, maybe a hint of treacle...at some point the analysis shuts off and the enjoyment takes over. Really well done, the best domestic Rauchbier I've tried thus far.

Light-bodied, moderately carbonated, with low astringency.

I envy anyone who has access to growlers of this - the drinkability is superior as well as the flavor.

4.22/5  rDev +2.7%

I shared this bottle with tenderbranson69, picked up at Al's of Hampden. Poured chilled from the 22oz into a tulip and snifter.

a - a beautiful bronze color w/ ruby highlights, mild haziness w/ translucent clarity and thin cream cap which settles to a ring of tiny beads of carbonation

S - There is a very intricate aroma of sweet malt combined with woody smokiness. The hardwood aroma is earthy with a slight hint of caramel from the malt and the smoke is very aromatic with a light stone fruit ester in the background

M - The feel is rich with med full body and mild dry smoky texture w/ light bitter tinge and moderate carbonation w/ semi-dry finish

T - I enjoyed the brief sweet perky malt which has mild nutty aspect and slight bready quality. The smoke flavor is moderately strong w/ a mild woody and dry flavor not unlike sweet smoked jerky. The taste has a nice herbal hop complimenting the malt bread crumb taste and caramel w/ a smoke that lasts into the semi-sweet finish

A - a great Rauchbier, one I could enjoy frequently if it weren't such a large bottle, the mid 7% hinders it slightly too, but this was great to share and I loved the complexity of bock malts w/ smoke and smoothness from the lagering. It is a beer I would like to see more brewers attempt, this is a good representative of the style.

4.56/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

22oz brown bomber with no freshness date.

Decent sized head with a faint crackle but still a sticky lace, bright amber color. Smells of wood smoke, dry and not bacon-ish with a thick maltiness and peppery alcohol. Big body, slick and smooth. Yeah, the smoke is big but not over the top ... Dry and almost ashy. Malt stands tall with tones of toasted bread, treacle, dried grass. Mild hopping goes a tad herbal in the finish, a little red in the cheeks from the alcohol. Smokiness lingers far into the after taste.

So smoky, so tasty ... Love the different woods used on the malt. Alcohol is clean and nearly hidden until halfway through the bottle, a big quaff!!

A: Quite a ruby red hue... deep, rich, almost sporting a soft glow. There's a bit of a sandy colour in the head. Not much for lacing, but the glass seems to be playing a role in that, as it has had a couple different brews in it, all of which laced poorly.

S + T: I thoroughly enjoy a good rauch, and this one performs quite well in the traditional 'ham and cheese sandwich' sense. It's not overly smoky, which is a positive thing in that it allows some of the other delicate scents and flavours to shine. Of those, I pick up on a light - but noticeable - fruitiness, both in nose and on the palate that seems a little odd.

worth note: after writing the above, I noticed the print on the side of the bottle to see that cherry wood is used in addition to beechwood. That would explain the fruitiness noted.

M + D: Body feels a little lighter in the mouthfeel, but seems to pick up a little weight after going down, however little sense that might make. The alcohol content is perhaps a little high, but a little slower sipping never hurt anyone. Not a bad take on the style, though I think I personally would have enjoyed it better if the actual smokiness were a touch more robust.

4.32/5  rDev +5.1%

Pours dark amber with a short white fizzy head that fades fast.

Aroma is BBQ and smoked pork, some sweet malt and a touch of chocolate.

Flavor starts out like a smoked pork sandwhich, nice smooth lagered finish. Smoke and sweet malt stick in the mouth something fierce.

A beer that performs as advertised, smoke meat and lager all in one, not really a style I want more than one of but still tasty.

4.07/5  rDev -1%

This beer pours a very clear and attractive shade of ruby brown. Much less dark than I had anticipated, and carrying a diminutive, but attractive head of parchment foam that leaves very nice lace. The smoky aroma of this beer is very nice. It smells like the smoke that would waft from the smoker at a little restaurant in my home town of Traverse City, Michigan. Porky, sweet and delectable with notes of brown sugar. I suddenly have a huge craving for an "all meat mess." The flavor is also quite nice in that the smoke is not too overpowering. Other flavors include sweet dark malt, brown sugar, a bit of cinnamon and leather. Quite nice and well blended. The body is medium with a mouthfeel that seems a bit sticky, but is pretty good. Surprisingly drinkable, and would be great (of course) with BBQ. Not the first smoked beer I have had, but the first I have reviewed. This one makes me want to seek out more.

4.04/5  rDev -1.7%

22 oz. bomber,

A: Pours coppery with a medium head, solid retention, no lace.

S: Beautiful sweet smoke smell, mix of bock malt and wood/BBQ.

T: Not as intense in the smoke arena as Schlenkerla, that's fine. As with the nose, the baked caramel sweetness adds great flavour dimension, with cherry/wood?, mesquite, and sweet BBQ sauce. Really nice interplay of flavours.

M: A tad too light in body for 7.4%, but very smooth, bit creamy.

D: This is the best of the Kettle Series I've had. A very well made rauchbier, in the same league as Schlenkerla at a cheaper price. Rare style too. Good job Caldera.

4.14/5  rDev +0.7%

A nice 'surprise' tap at Bailey's; grabbed a 10 oz. pour ($2.50).

A: Deep auburn with the finest haziness; a brief ivory head (less than 1/2 finger) crests then dissolves. What remains is a broken swirl of film and a creamy ring. Decent streaming carbonation.

S: Lovely of savory smoke and sugared spiciness...a malty, caramel-laden lager covered gently with grainy husks, burnt yet surprisingly sweet. Strong enough to be smelled from 1-foot away in a crowded room.

T: Toffee and spice (notable cinnamon) with a candied fruit after-effect. Oh yeah, a good deal of smoke - a sweet mesquite, reminiscent of barbecued brisket. Herbed and a little tang in the finish. Enough intonations of fruit and a fleeting tartness.

M: Velvety feel with a slight prickle (less from carbonation, more from an earthy ground spice). Medium body that borders on heaviness (not unexpected: it IS over 7%). Maltiness coats but isn't cloying; smoke doesn't intrude too much.

D: Despite a heavenly aroma and feel and good flavor, this 'only' can muster a 4.0, simply due to a hefty alcohol girth. It's a touch on the sweet side (ur-bock) but the smokiness is well done. Sure it's worth a glass (or two) and is one I'd definitely have again.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last