Rauch Ür Bock - Caldera Brewing Company

Rauch Ãœr BockRauch Ãœr Bock

Caldera Brewing Company visit their website
Oregon, United States

Rauchbier |  7.40% ABV

(Beer added by: msubulldog25 on 05-05-2010)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Rauch Ür Bock Alström Bros
4.3/5  rDev +6.2%

Poured a slightly cloudy deep amber/red color with a thin soap ring of head.

The smell is amazing, big bacony smoked pork Rauch goodness.

The taste follows the flavors nicely with a big smoked malt flavor with a nice bit of underlying sweetness, very pork like and very flavorful. Has a nice light bitterness in the finish that helps even it out very well.

The mouthfeel is very slick and oily.

Great Rauchbier!

4.4/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Big thanks to N2168 for knocking this off my wants. Poured into a stone nonic and shared with my buddy Ryan.

This was quite delicious. The pour made it seem a little lacking in carbonation, and while indeed it was light in carbonation I think it would have been awkward if it had been heavier considering the taste profile. This beer does such a good job of hitting the sweet and savory side of smoke. Nice big campfire smoke smell and taste without any roughness to it, with a nice smoked bacon savory sweetness. This is easy to drink and just downright delicious, would love to have a keg of this by my desk.

4.2/5  rDev +3.7%

On tap last night at the Caldera Tap House.

Pours a bright and clear brown color, with a small white head.

Aromas are quite potent. Lots of interesting smoke notes here, smoked meat, charred wood, like a camp out in a glass. Very nice.

Flavor is like the nose, but toned down just a bit. Light caramel, bready, and slightly sweet up front. Beer then settles Into a smoke house flavor, hints of charred wood, and jerky.

Mouthfeel is good, full, smooth, but not heavy at all.

Overall, this is a really well made smoked lager. The nose is wonderfull. But the beer turns out to be plenty drinkable, I usually am a one and done with smoked beers, not this one. Another great offering from Caldera.

4.75/5  rDev +17.3%

22 oz. Think I picked this up in Chicago Binny's Oak Park.
Solid amber/brown pour, half finger of off white head disappated to a ring, but lasted.

Smoked malt, peat, canadian bacon and some malty caramel. Starting out real well.

Taste, solid dose of smoked ham, bacon, peat and a woodiness. Caramelly malt body is there, almost some faint raisin or apple cider, then finishes with solid bbq.
The real deal, far far and away the best American version I've had of this style. So few try this style, even less accomplish the task.

Lighter side of medium bodied. Coats well, goes down smooth, no alcohol. 7.4 is a little larger than some for the style, but it doesn't show itself.

Best brew I've had in a while. First I've had from this brewery, if their others are even close to as good as this I won't be disapointed.

4.03/5  rDev -0.5%

Poured into a 1/2 liter stein a deep rich amber/bronze with a fluffy one finger head that took its time fading.Sweet smoke,brown,sugar,a bit of alcohol in the nose,mellow and sweetish,I found it appetizing.Cherry wood sweetness and light peppery spice in the nose,its gentle sweet smoke instead of in your face,mellow but assertive enough.A real nice smoked bock beer,I will grab a few of these this fall while eating alot of smoked meat off my smoker.

4.2/5  rDev +3.7%

A- Semi aggressive pour produces a 1-1/2 finger very light brown head that rests atop a beautiful deep copper colored beer with nice clarity. Nicve lacing.

S- Very similar to a smoked porter but more smoke. The smoke smell is beautiful. It smells like a campfire and the cherry wood is definitely present. Excellent smelling beer.

T- WOW! They were not kidding on the bottle when they said it has an intense smoke flavor. It is excellent and I could see some folks that the smoke is too in-your-face, but I love smoked beers and I love this one. This is as smoked wood forward as I've ever had. It's pretty much smoky wood, a slight malt sweetness, and finishes woody and smokey again. This is a perfect fall beer.

M- Nice smooth mouthfeel with good carbonation.

O- Not too complex because of the intense smoke taste but it works excellent in this beer. I will definitely be picking this up again.

Look: Burnt orange in color with 1/4 inch head and no retention but did have some lacing

Smell: This beer smells like a campfire in a bottle also reminds me of burnt oak chips or smoked salmon

Taste: The flavor is this beer is quite unique. The smokiness is there in abundance and is pretty much just liquid smoke. Again the taste does follow suite with the noise there is a big smoked salmon flavor

Mouthfeel: Medium body and medium carbonation

Overall: If you love the idea of smoked anything actually you will love this beer. It is hands down one of the most smoky beers I have had to the point where it almost looses balance like say Alaskan smoked porter or Ass kisser smoked porter. However if you are into smoked beers this one is a must try

3.95/5  rDev -2.5%

Bottleshare from Darthkostrizer with BHOBS and Alucard4
Pours a hazy reddish brown with a very quick dissipating bubbly head. No retention obviously.

Holy shit. Smells exactly like uncooked applewood smoked bacon and/or smoked salmon(not fishy). Very nice yet strong smoke.

Tastes just like it smells. Very strong different smoky flavor but Good.

Good carbonation. Smooth and Medium bodied.

Overall at some point in trying this beer You Will Say Holy Shit! It is Unlike any any beer I've had and any smoked beer for that matter. Its very interesting but Good. Although it very hard to drink alot of it. Definitely a bottleshare.

3.2/5  rDev -21%

Amber to yeloowcolored, was expecting darker, kind of even had a good degree of clarity to it. Holy cherry wood campfire smoke! This smelled just like you were out in the woods.

Whoa, I could only take a small sip at first, massive liquid smoke feeling in the mouthfeel. Ugh. Its not so much as 'bad' as opposed to 'challenging'. I must admit, I could not even finish a taster of it. This is the most intense smoked beer I've ever come across, by far. I mean, beer geek bacon was a walk in the park compared to this.

I could smell it all day. As far as drinking it, I'm cool with 1oz at a time, its that intense. If you like smoked beers, then check this out. If not, stay away. I kind of like them, trying to get into them more, so I'd try it again next time, but for now, I'm not worthy.

3.9/5  rDev -3.7%

Pours a brilliant black with ruby tones and a 1-finger tan head. Weak retention and lace, as expected from such a malty brew.

The nose is a smoky, malty blast of barbequed pulled pork, woodsmoke and brown sugar with undertones of baked apples and peaches. Nothing over-the-top here- good balance and elegance in the aromas. And I dunno if it's just me and my mental associations, but I could swear I smelled the BBQ sauce in this too.

The palate, much like the nose, is hugely smoky- more bbq and toffee flavors- with a medium-body and a slight creaminess from the malt. The hoppiness is mild while the smoke, naturally, is what lingers on the nice finish.

A wonderful effort overall. I wouldn't go so far as to say world class, but the brew does have a nice bit of elegance which always gets more points from me. And the smokiness carries a lot of power without being too heavy.

3.6/5  rDev -11.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

I have been thinking of picking up a bottle of this for a while

pours a deep deep red, glowing, standing out a lot

smell of slight smoke, peat, a bit of cherry, bbq

Taste is mostly peated malt smoke, a lot of it...i was expecting more smokey, not peated. still a bit of darker, roasted fruits, a bit of burnt sugar, some peanut but overall makes it pretty unique.

Mouthfeel is really smooth, lower carbed tickles the tongue just right, goes down well

Overall its not bad, but as far as a rauch, feels like to much of that peated taste, dont know if I would pick it amongst other smoked beers.

4.38/5  rDev +8.1%

"Warning, this beer has an intense smoke flavor." Warning...'cuz the flavor may cause me to overdose? I'll leave it at that and hope I don't O.D. off this 22 ounce bottle. On to the beer:

The chestnut colored body is a looker in the stange glass. On top, the head has a beige color, a somewhat creamy texture, several groupings of lace sticking around and retention. The rauch part is done extremely well; mouth-watering jerkied meats stand out above with a little sweetness and a kiss of leafy hop.

There's a lot of meat on the bones of this beer. Loads and loads and maltiness and medium smokiness make this a winner. The two run in sperate stages and never cross into each other's territory, which in this case I adore. Its got the smokiness that I would find in a summer sausage. On the malty side, there's loads of caramel. Little notes of ash give me the impression that I'm at a campfire. Hints of brown sugar. Alcohol slowly gets noticed, but in a good way; here it brings notes of raisin. There is a moderate hoppiness that can be sensed for a brief second, catch it before the smoke and malt beat it down. On the fuller side in terms of mouthfeel, quite smooth with the bubbles very small yet enough to be felt.

If I hadn't stuffed myself with Chinese food earlier in the night, I may have been more tempted to overdose on Rauch Ur Bock. Only kidding, I have a good idea when to stop. Warning, you may be temped buy more bottles after you try your first. In short, superb.

4.72/5  rDev +16.5%

A-Bright, crystal clear, copper with a medium tan head that slowly fades to a thin cap and leaves light lace.

S-Campfire smoke with a subtle hit of applewoods smoked bacon. Sweet caramel malt and spicy pepper notes accent in the background.

T-Yes, this is a smoked brew but it never comes off as over the top. In fact it is about as perfect as it can get. Dry, woody smokiness and spicy, herbal hops dominate. Caramel malt sweetness provides a healthy backbone with tones of toasted biscuit, apple and buckwheat honey.

M-Medium bodied with a feel that is bigger than it really is. Smooth and slick with a drying, woody astringency in the finish. Nice lingering sweet smokiness.

D-Simply put--->OUTSTANDING! Quite possibly one of the finest Rauch beers I have had the pleasure of imbibing! This is a beer I wish I would have tried sooner so I could have gone out and stocked up on. Well done Caldera, this is a beer you should be VERY proud of!

Overall a really nice and interesting beer. I saw this on the shelf and hadn't tried anything yet from this brewery but looked interesting. Figured I would try it. It was really a nice beer. It definitely had a lot of smoky and meaty flavor to it! Very interesting and nice beer overall, I would drink it again.

3.98/5  rDev -1.7%

Amber brown in color with very little head but a nice ring.
Nicely carbonated.

Smells like a camp fire, malts have a good sweet character with an abundance of smoke.

Taste is quite good with smokiness being pungent but not overwelming.
A sweet tasting bock with smokiness coming through around mid drink with a smooth mellow finish.

A good warming smoky beer.

4.03/5  rDev -0.5%

Poured from a bomber into a shaker pint glass.

A: Clear, dark amber color with one finger of diminishing off-white foam head. Light lacing remains on the glass.

S: Sweet woodsmoke is intense, developing fruity and savory complexity that distinguishes itself above the Bavarian archetypes.

T: Begins off-dry, with caramel and sharp woodsmoke that becomes more dry by the middle. Acidity flares early but remains mild overall. Smoke nearly persists throughout, but diminishes by the clean, short finish.

M: Thin to medium viscosity, wet on the palate but becoming a bit too insubstantial, with moderate carbonation.

D/O: This Oregon-brewed rauchbeer develops some of the most intense woodsmoke essence encountered thus far, but it may be at the expense of the strong lager that is its base. Deciphels of the imports from Bamberg would find this beer's intensity surprising--if not off-putting--but it does struggle to leave any impression other than aggressively pungent woodsmoke.

3.98/5  rDev -1.7%

Complex enjoyable smoked. Tasty rich malt,caramel, woody,spicey, and balanced. Leans a tad to sweetness rather than bitterness. The smoke is significant in the aroma but not overwhelming. Above average mouthfeel. Yellow coloured body. Most drinkable.Thanks Augustgarage.

4.15/5  rDev +2.5%

This beer pours a dark amber color, with a perfect size head that did dispate quickly. The smell is strongly of malts, and a smokyness. The taste starts off very malty, smoked flavors, then finishs with a smoked sausage like flavor. The aftertaste is strongly of a smoked meat; and the flavor stays on your palette for some time, also nicely carbonated. Overall fantastic beer, very odd, but still enjoyable.

3.58/5  rDev -11.6%

This is the first Rauchbier that I have reviewed. I had it at the Bier Stein in Eugene, OR.

-a dark but translucent amber with a small head that remains on the edge, with slight lacing in the middle
-aroma: smoked bacon, smoky wood flavor (cherry, beechwood), smoke in general
-medium carbonation
-crisp lager flavor at the beginning that is then overwhelmed by the smoky flavor, some caramel undertones, feels like you're exhaling a campfire
-smoky flavor remains in your mouth indefinitely? My friend could still smell smoke on my breath an hour later on the way home even though I was in the back seat and had a breathmint!
-leaves a dry, spinach-like feeling in the mouth

The smoke was pretty intense. I enjoyed it okay, but I'll have to try some other Rauchbier to compare...

4.33/5  rDev +6.9%

Pours a rich burnt caramel hue with some deep amber hues... dark for a rauchbier. a surprisingly dark tan head slowly fades and leaves ample lacing.

aroma is pungently smokey... sweet malt, sweet smoke, and some salted caramel in the nose.

the taste, as expected, is smokey. Not the smokiest or most pungent smoke profile I've experienced, but damn up there. and I think it's the intense rich malt and sweetness from the malt that keeps the smoke slightly tamed. A touch of lemon and citrus fruitiness in the finish which blends perfectly with the cherry smoke.

It's not as crisp or dry as other Rachbiers, and it seems a bit more full-bodied, with almost a touch of syrupiness to it. which is kind of an interesting take on it. I'm digging it.

I'm not usually one to say this, but it's almost a touch malt-forward. Not that it's a bad thing. I think this is probably my favorite domestically produced Rauchbier I've had the pleasure of tasting. It really hits on all cylinders. A touch sweet and malt forward, but all in all, it does what it's going for and works beautifully. Definitely worth seeking out.

4.03/5  rDev -0.5%

On draught at The Beer Stein, Rauch Ür Bock is chestnut brown with a small off-white head that leaves no lace. Nice glow to it though.

Smell is smokey and sweet. Both cherry and beechwood were used, but I'm getting mostly cherry in the nose.

Taste is really quite smokey, the beechwood really asserting itself here, although the sweetness of the cherry wood and the malt is no slouch either. The smoke has a sharp phenolic quality that I get from peat, but with the sweetness I think it works well. Note it's not cloying, the sweetness is enjoyable and provides relative balance.

Mouthfeel is slick, some softness, a medium bodied, and smooth. Nice.

Drinkability is really quite good for such a smoke bomb. No doubt inspired by Aecht Schlenkerla, with the body and color of the marzen, but the punch of the ur bock, it one of the best stateside examples of the style, which is rarely attempted and even more rarely successful. I have to say, this was really good, and with just a touch less phenols, would be up a notch easily.

3.53/5  rDev -12.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Got this in a 22 ounce bomber. It poured a deep bright brown with a pretty small head.

Aromas of smoked kielba, and dark roasted malts.

This beer was OK but for a style that I like so much it did'nt really please as much as I thought it would. It had a nice amount of smokiness to it. Really obvious and pretty strong but not charred. But the oily consistency of the beer along with the huge saltiness made the beer less than I was hoping for.

It was still a beer that I'm glad I grabbed. They don't make many in the style anyways.

3.63/5  rDev -10.4%

When I'm in the mood for something different from my usual assortment of IPA's I usually reach for a smoked beer like a Rauchbier or Porters.

Wow this is the mother load of smoked dominance. Nothing subtle about this liquid smoke bomb. Concentrated ash and dried aromatic kindling. Damp Tobacco just adds to the one sided affair. If I had to reach for some balance there is a faint raisin type sweetness buried in the finish.

Notes: I'd be interested to see exactly how they brewed this beer. The smoke seems more of an extract additive than natural smoke. A bit much for me. However, a 12oz bottle would have been more appealing for one sitting and it has nothing to do with the moderate ABV. Its a rich SOB.

4.33/5  rDev +6.9%

22oz bottle.

Pours clear amber with a tight, half inch head of bone. Thin but webbed lacing and a partial skim coat for the duration.

Aromatics lead off with a blast of smoked malts and caramel. Quite meaty and plump with plenty of doughy malt and smoldering wood. Very nice.

Medium bodied with a crisp, slightly tacky mouthfeel. A hint of chew adds some substance.

Sweet malt and wafting smoke start the palate.
A crisp, clean Munich profile is the perfect arena for plenty of Beechwood smoke with hints of bacon and char.

Finishes with unrelenting smoke and rich malt.

Great beer. Loads of smoke and very authentic.

3.8/5  rDev -6.2%

A - Poured out of a bottle into a tulip glass. Lots of bubbles, almost transparent, rust-red color. No head.

S - Smoky, smoke smoke. Smells like right after I get the BBQ going but before I throw any meat on the grill. I also get a green olive scent at the beginning.

T - Smoke. Burnt wood. Sweet malt at the end. No bitterness at all. I think the smoke mellows out the intense malt sweetness that usually accompanies a bock.

M - Very crisp, it is a lager after all.

D - A good beer. There are not too many smoked beers made, so for that reason alone I tried it. Well worth it, though it was not my favorite smoked beer.

Rauch Ür Bock from Caldera Brewing Company