Mogli - Caldera Brewing Company

Caldera Brewing Company visit their website
Oregon, United States

American Porter |  8.50% ABV

Beer added by: squaremile on 08-13-2010

'Oak Aged Imperial Porter Brewed with Chocolate'
Caldera Kettle Series
June 2011 - first release in waxed 22 oz. bottles
« first ‹ prev | 76-100 | 101-125 | 126-150  | next › last »
Ratings: 688 | Reviews: 131
4.66/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

Bomber poured into a tulip... (snifter was dirty)

A: Black. No light shows through. I poured it slightly fast to cause a bigger head, but it recedes very fast leaving a small rim of head around the edge.

S: Smells amazing! Lots of Chocolate, with a slight barrel smell.Malt, and oak. But mostly chocolate. Smells like a desert.

T: very sweet,Chocolate! malt. Overall porter flavor but intensely enhanced with the chocolate and barrel aging.

M: I actually think this is the only "disappointing" part of this beer. It's actually not disappointing. Just from the smell I would expect or want maybe a thick oily, creamy mouth feel. Like an oatmeal stout. It's actually fairly thin. but smooth. Medium carbonation.

O: Overall ...Amazing! One of my favorite beers! Very sweet, so not something I would always drink. Amazing smell, and taste. not enough good things I can say about this. I assume it would be amazing with ice cream or other deserts. maybe even dark meats.

3.83/5  rDev -10.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A: very dark brown color with a nice head and decent lacing

S: strong chocolate aroma

T: nice chocolate flavor but don't sense any of the flavors from barrel aging. Otherwise a good imperial stout flavor

M: good carbonation. could be a bit thicker

O: overall a good imperial stout with chocolate flavors but the barrel aging doesn't seem to add much to this beer

4.43/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Big chocolate, coffee and vanilla. Silky rich and thick mouthfeel with fine bubbles.

4.65/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

A-Rich, dark cherry color. Light brown head with very little retention.

S-Overwhelmingly milk chocolate. Subtle oak, but chocolate dominates this experience.

T-Again, chocolate all over the front, mid and finish. I detect the oak and the roasted malt on the finish but the front is all chocolate.

M-Decadent, syrupy, low carbonation. Nice cold chocolate milkshake.

Overall-I'm very pleased with this offering. Not very multidimensional, but the characteristics it does offer are just so darn pleasing. Enjoying after spaghetti and meatballs...will be ready to go to sleep happy :-)

3.98/5  rDev -6.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

A rather pretty beer, slightly thinner looking than I thought, with a deep black cherry color and thinnish toasted bone colored head. Clung to the glass in an interesting way (as a malbec might).

This beer has a striking milk chocolatey nose, almost kit-katty in it's lightness. It worried me a little, to think it might be as sweet as the candy, but upon tasting it I was pleasantly surprised: it's more as if you're breathing chocolate than guzzling it. Definitely has it's sweetness, but with a thinner more nimble body it doesn't bog you down.

I tasted a bit of vanilla, and I think paired with the slight slight oakiness and decent abv, it reminded me much more of a good vanilla extract than vanilla bean. There's a light bitterness in the roast also, which is what I think kept this beer nicely balanced and me coming back for more.

Definitely a friendly sort of beer. Not syrupy, nor too hot. That being said, I'm definitely not your classic chocolate fiend... but it was nice to meet you Mister Mogli. Next time I might try to drink it with a chocolate banana flan, a burger with a emmanthaler, or late night with a bowl of cocoa krispies.

1.89/5  rDev -55.7%

This beer is SHYTE! Let me start by saying that I had really high hopes for this beer. At a whopping $18 a bottle, I expected it to be a FANTASTIC beer...but alas, price isn't everything.

First the pour. I usually look at a porter to see how it grips the glass, and Mogli had no grip. Second the head: I know porters don't usually get too much of a head while pouring, but they usually have at least a broken slick of foam for a few seconds...Mogli foamed less than a glass of warm water. The initial taste.... TERRIBLE! I don't mean terrible like the acidic burn of warm Budweiser poured from a can, I mean like over-watered Swiss Miss cocoa that had gone cold. BLAND, like a banana, but even more so. Mild bitterness from the oak aging, but mostly bland watered down cocoa. Like seriously! Go boil some water, make some Swiss Miss cocoa, throw a few ice-cubes into it, and then forget about it until there is no longer dew on the outside of the glass...that is what Mogli tastes like!

All in all I found this beer to be something I would not recommend to ANYONE lest it may cost me "beer-nerd" cred (...something I wouldn't sit for even among circles of those I dislike, and refuse to associate with). Do not waste your money on this bottled water...(it didn't even have enough alcohol to make the flavor worth enduring). While I have yet to quaff of it, I am certain that the Wdimere Chocolate Russian Imperial Stout I bought will be better than Mogli. If you would like a decent tasting stout or porter, I would suggest Laguinitas. If you have the dough, and it is available, invest in a Chocolate Yeti, do yourself a favor, and side-step the Mogli... It costs too much, and you could probably get a better flavor by distilling your own socks....

« first ‹ prev | 76-100 | 101-125 | 126-150  | next › last »