Mogli - Caldera Brewing Company

Caldera Brewing Company visit their website
Oregon, United States

American Porter |  8.50% ABV

Beer added by: squaremile on 08-13-2010

'Oak Aged Imperial Porter Brewed with Chocolate'
Caldera Kettle Series
June 2011 - first release in waxed 22 oz. bottles
firstprev| 76-100 | 101-125 | 126-150  | next → last
1.89/5  rDev -55%

This beer is SHYTE! Let me start by saying that I had really high hopes for this beer. At a whopping $18 a bottle, I expected it to be a FANTASTIC beer...but alas, price isn't everything.

First the pour. I usually look at a porter to see how it grips the glass, and Mogli had no grip. Second the head: I know porters don't usually get too much of a head while pouring, but they usually have at least a broken slick of foam for a few seconds...Mogli foamed less than a glass of warm water. The initial taste.... TERRIBLE! I don't mean terrible like the acidic burn of warm Budweiser poured from a can, I mean like over-watered Swiss Miss cocoa that had gone cold. BLAND, like a banana, but even more so. Mild bitterness from the oak aging, but mostly bland watered down cocoa. Like seriously! Go boil some water, make some Swiss Miss cocoa, throw a few ice-cubes into it, and then forget about it until there is no longer dew on the outside of the glass...that is what Mogli tastes like!

All in all I found this beer to be something I would not recommend to ANYONE lest it may cost me "beer-nerd" cred (...something I wouldn't sit for even among circles of those I dislike, and refuse to associate with). Do not waste your money on this bottled water...(it didn't even have enough alcohol to make the flavor worth enduring). While I have yet to quaff of it, I am certain that the Wdimere Chocolate Russian Imperial Stout I bought will be better than Mogli. If you would like a decent tasting stout or porter, I would suggest Laguinitas. If you have the dough, and it is available, invest in a Chocolate Yeti, do yourself a favor, and side-step the Mogli... It costs too much, and you could probably get a better flavor by distilling your own socks.... (1,753 characters)

firstprev| 76-100 | 101-125 | 126-150  | next → last