2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Rose Petal Imperial Golden Ale - Caldera Brewing Company

Rose Petal Imperial Golden AleRose Petal Imperial Golden Ale

Caldera Brewing Company visit their website
Oregon, United States

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  6.70% ABV

Availability: Spring

(Beer added by: JohnGalt1 on 08-28-2010)
View: Beers (23) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 20 | Reviews: 13 | Show All Ratings:
Murrhey

Montana

2.36/5  rDev -23.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

Poured from a standard pressure-cap bottle into a conic pint glass in high elevation, Libby, Mont. Purchased from Belmont Station in Portland for $4.67. Reviewed live.

A- Three-finger white head, rapidly eroding head that sinks to a fluffy, sticky half-inch thick floater. Hazy golden color with low clarity.

S- Golden lager notes, flowery scents. It's not a very attractive smell.

T- Golden, clean flavor. Lager notes, golden malts. Relatively boring flavor. I'm not sure I know what rose petals taste like, so I can't pick out the flavor.

M- Unimpressive feel. Wet and heavier than I expected.

O- Well below average beer. Not very good.

05-10-2013 03:47:36 | More by Murrhey
dbrauneis

3.38/5  rDev +9.7%

A: Pours a slightly hazy medium golden yellow in color with some moderate amounts of visible carbonation. The beer has a two finger tall foamy off-white head that slowly reduces to a couple of very small patches of a large bubble or two, a very thin film covering the majority of the surface of the beer, and a thick ring at the edges of the glass. Moderate to significant amounts of lacing are observed.

S: Light to moderate floral aromas including a solid amount of rose present. Very light notes of pale malts as well and just a touch of peppery yeast..

T: Moderate flavors of pale malts with some definite notes of rose, rose water, and a light peppery spiciness likely contributed by the yeast. Very light amounts of bitterness that fade immediately.

M: Light to medium bodied with moderate amounts of carbonation. Slightly thin/watery.

O: The beer is well balanced as it comes out neither sweet or bitter and there is no alcohol present in either the smell or taste of this beer. I find this beer to be pretty interesting with the light amounts of rose present (I love turkish delight which has some notes of rose to it as well) combined with the peppery spices. Pretty easy to drink and refreshing.

12-17-2012 00:13:28 | More by dbrauneis
MitchellWarner

British Columbia (Canada)

2.98/5  rDev -3.2%

Aroma: rose, floral (almost perfume like) slight caramel and some slight hop spiciness. I find the floral aroma too strong.

Appearance: pale gold, very clear with stark white head that stuck around for around 5 min.

Flavor: Floral, almost soapy and quite strong. Not much in the way of hop or malt character is discernible. From what I can tell the base beer is nice a very balanced but just thoroughly over powered by the intense floral flavor.

Mouthfeel: crisp and light

Overall : The floral aroma and soapy flavor we're too much for me. It's an interesting idea but needs some work.

09-05-2012 06:58:56 | More by MitchellWarner
Beerandraiderfan

Nevada

Don't you kind of hate writing a negative review for a beer from a brewery you really like? Like the Bud light campaign says, "here we go. . . "

Pours a vibrant gold, soft white head 1" in depth on top of it. Like Tekagi said in Die Hard "What aroma?" Maybe you can find rose petals/water, but I could not, just the faint, ever so faint smell of pale malt/grain.

Taste, like Tekagi said in Die Hard "What Taste?" Man, this is like drinking almost nothing. Caldera has some beers that are massively flavorful, this must be their gateway get 'em in the door new type of brew or something, I really don't get it, its frankly "boring".

04-12-2012 23:43:18 | More by Beerandraiderfan
MadeInOregon

2.78/5  rDev -9.7%

I tried a sampler of Caldera's Rose Petal Imperial Golden Ale at their pub in Ashland but wasn't able to get a sense of what it tasted like from a mere 3 oz. so I was still curious enough to pick up a 22 of this when I saw it. I was intrigued about the idea of a beer with "Bulgarian rose water" and had no idea what an "Imperial Golden Ale" was supposed to mean so I was excited about cracking this one open. However, this turned out to be one of the most difficult beers I've ever tried to review for the simple fact that while it's good, the label seems to describe a completely different beer than the one in the bottle...

THE APPEARANCE of this looks almost identical to a good Bavarian hefeweizen. A massive nearly-white foam head erupts from the bottom of the glass with the pour. The body is a light golden color, more orange than straw color. The foam head stays together and has good lacing. This is a very, very good-looking beer. One of the best golden ales I've ever seen.

THE SMELL is of hops, cotton candy, strawberry, butterscotch, alcohol, and a faint amount of aged white cheese (Asiago or Parmesan). But, NO roses. None. Nothing. Not a hint. This is a floral ale, but the floral-ness is from the hops. I'm sure of it. I've smelled countless West Coast ales like this before.

THE TASTE is excellent. Tastes like something between a heavy Kolsch and a light IPA. Or, maybe it could simply pass as a hoppy American hefeweizen. Most of the aromas are present in the taste as well. But, again, NO ROSES. I have a pretty acute sense of taste and smell but even while straining, there is just nothing floral about this other than the hops. Even trying to imagine "roses" comes up short. I know what roses taste like, and they are not here. However, this beer really tastes great. So, while I'd love to give it a 4.5 in this categoy, it deserves a 2.5 at best for false advertising. Did I get a batch without roses? Did they accidentally put a different beer in this bottle? I'm pretty disappointed in this regard, but what I am tasting is still really good.

THE FEEL is heavy yet effervescent. It's slightly creamy and has a very wet feeling. There is substantial warming from a 6.7% beer, and I attribute that to the body. Overall, a very balanced beer.

CONCLUSION: I have tried Caldera's ginger beer and that really does taste and smell like ginger, but this really does NOT taste or smell like roses. I would love to rate this beer higher based on its flavor and the enjoyment I got from it, but I just can't do it. My suggestion: Amp up the roses or use less hops and perhaps they would poke through. As it stands, this is false advertising. Sorry. Don't buy this for "roses", buy it because it's a great golden ale!!!

02-03-2012 23:06:30 | More by MadeInOregon
JerseyKirk

3.63/5  rDev +17.9%

A: golden to slight reddish hue. Creamy white tight bubble head.

S: spicy, floral, lemon peel, zesty, slight cinnamon.

T: sweet, rose, spicy bitter, over the top flowers. Grainy malt but rose overpowers it.

M: medium bodied. Sweet finish.

O: good b/c its unique bad b/c its unique. Its tough to envision as a session beer but its a nice different offering.

01-29-2012 19:28:24 | More by JerseyKirk
notchucknorris

A: Very pale golden color with pretty much no head whatsoever.

S: Kind of weird but a little intriguing as well. Lots of rose petals and rose water here. Some faint hints of yeast and bread as well.

T: Yeah, this isn't good. Lots of floral notes but there's no hint of the base beer here at all. A bit of a buttery note with some yeast, but that's about it. Mouthfeel is waaay thin and watery.

12-16-2011 13:43:01 | More by notchucknorris
brianairb85

4.18/5  rDev +35.7%

A- is cloudy and light glassy goldeness
S- smell of light winter pine needles and small delicate floral hints
T- the taste is light and easy to drink, very winter like in the beginning. Reminds me of being in a forest and then at the end your hit with small hints of flower flavor.
M- easy to the tounge and flows with 2 waves of flavor. Both are easy and satisfying.
O- this is a very unique beer and I would recommend it to any one for a very different drinking experience. It easy and I would drink this beer in the winter or spring. Its very light and still has a pretty high alcohol%.

11-29-2011 01:19:58 | More by brianairb85
jmarsh123

Indiana

1.73/5  rDev -43.8%

Split the bomber with my girlfriend who picked it out because of the roses.

Pours a clear gold/orange with a small white head.

Smells floral as expected with some malty sweetness too. Not really picking up heavy roses on the nose.

Tastes weirdly floral, but not good floral like a heavily cascade hopped beer. Hardly any hops at all, just a weird rose flavor. Good news is if I ever want this flavor again, I have a large rose bush in my front yard.

Undercarbonation leads to an even worse experience.

My first drain pour in quite a while. After a few sips these became way too overpowering and going through 22 oz wasn't happening.

08-16-2011 10:38:39 | More by jmarsh123
BDTyre

British Columbia (Canada)

3.35/5  rDev +8.8%

Interesting beer...not too sure how I feel about this. Looks good enough...cloudy orange with a decent white head. Malty, very floral smell. Creamy, light caramel scent. Light hops.

Weird, floraly hop taste. Sour-ish after taste. Weird, bready character. Definitely can taste the rose, but its all muddled. Nothing really stands out.

Slightly flat, not horrible. I think this would be better as a pint or a six pack, not a bomber.

08-01-2011 03:22:31 | More by BDTyre
TheGordianKnot

Tennessee

1.63/5  rDev -47.1%

Poured from 22oz bottle into pint glass.

A- Pours orange golden color with about a finger head that died instantly. Not much to look at, but would say this is about what I would expect an "Imperial Golden" to look like.

S- Oh boy, this isn't good. As my buddy whom this bomber was shared with put it, "One time I puked up a bunch of Cheetos, this smells like that..."- While I agree this was very displeasing, I was able to pick out a few herbal notes. This reminded me of a crappy floral tea. I got the rose petal here and there, but it wasn't in a nice delicate aroma; it was more in your face and mixed with DMS.

T/M- Not very good. I tried to give this a chance but I couldn't find what they were going for on this. It is all malt with no hops presented in any way, shape, or form. I wonder if they 100% replaced the hops with rose petals? Thats what it somewhat tastes like; though the rose petals still aren't prominent or pleasing to the palate. There just wasn't any saving grace to this beer; it's a shame.

O- I hate to say it, but this was a drainpour by both of us that shared the bomber. We tried, I think I did more than he; but in the end neither could stand to go on. I understand the whole experimental aspect of this, and I appreciate it, but I do feel like Caldera missed the mark- whatever that mark may have been. I do love me some other Caldera brews, but this one got away...

07-11-2011 12:53:16 | More by TheGordianKnot
hippityhops85

3.5/5  rDev +13.6%

It's a beautiful beer to look at. Pours crystal clear with a glowing golden tone. Head pours healthy and then fades to a thing foam. Really great looking.

Nose really doesn't jump out at me. Pale malt tones with a tea-like herbal tone to it. Really nothing noticeable, and that includes the rose.

It tastes similar to the nose. There is a floral tone to it. Not hoppy floral but like an herbal tea floral. It's difficult to describe. Luckily, I happened to have a bottle of rose water around so I took a sniff of it and I just couldn't make the connection. The beer as a blonde ale is really very solid. The pale malts work wonderfully with the carbo to create an extremely refreshing beer. This would have been nice to have during those 95+ dog days of summer .

Overall, it is a solid beer. I have to say though, I had a difficult time pulling the "rose" flavors from the beer. I'm happy I was able to try this limited release and I look forward to more of what Caldera is going to offer.

09-10-2010 01:53:07 | More by hippityhops85
JohnGalt1

Idaho

3.5/5  rDev +13.6%

22 picked up on the drive home from work tonight at Brewforia... Paid about $5.50... Poured into my Old Guardian goblet.

The label calls this an "Imperial Blonde" brewed with "real rose petals" and "Hungarian rose water".

Pours with a short lasting white head... very clear golden brew... lacing is minimal but present.

Pale malts in the nose add a nice sweetness that helps the floral qualities.. Interesting.. I can pick out the rose petals, but I'm not getting rose water.

Flavor is actually just a well made (yet big boned) blonde.... pretty malty from front to back with a lingering finish that makes me think of the backyard roses.. but I am honestly having a hard time pulling it out.. the rose water really only shines about 5-10 seconds after the sip goes down the gullet.

Ehhh.. Body is a nice solid medium.. carbonation is a tad light..

Glad I got the chance to try this one... I'm interested in seeing what future reviews hold as I think my palate is not refined enough to really grab what the brewers were shooting for.

All 3.5's