Rose Petal Imperial Golden Ale - Caldera Brewing Company

Caldera Brewing Company visit their website
Oregon, United States

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  6.70% ABV

Availability: Spring

(Beer added by: JohnGalt1 on 08-28-2010)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Reviews by MadeInOregon:
MadeInOregon

2.78/5  rDev -12.9%

I tried a sampler of Caldera's Rose Petal Imperial Golden Ale at their pub in Ashland but wasn't able to get a sense of what it tasted like from a mere 3 oz. so I was still curious enough to pick up a 22 of this when I saw it. I was intrigued about the idea of a beer with "Bulgarian rose water" and had no idea what an "Imperial Golden Ale" was supposed to mean so I was excited about cracking this one open. However, this turned out to be one of the most difficult beers I've ever tried to review for the simple fact that while it's good, the label seems to describe a completely different beer than the one in the bottle...

THE APPEARANCE of this looks almost identical to a good Bavarian hefeweizen. A massive nearly-white foam head erupts from the bottom of the glass with the pour. The body is a light golden color, more orange than straw color. The foam head stays together and has good lacing. This is a very, very good-looking beer. One of the best golden ales I've ever seen.

THE SMELL is of hops, cotton candy, strawberry, butterscotch, alcohol, and a faint amount of aged white cheese (Asiago or Parmesan). But, NO roses. None. Nothing. Not a hint. This is a floral ale, but the floral-ness is from the hops. I'm sure of it. I've smelled countless West Coast ales like this before.

THE TASTE is excellent. Tastes like something between a heavy Kolsch and a light IPA. Or, maybe it could simply pass as a hoppy American hefeweizen. Most of the aromas are present in the taste as well. But, again, NO ROSES. I have a pretty acute sense of taste and smell but even while straining, there is just nothing floral about this other than the hops. Even trying to imagine "roses" comes up short. I know what roses taste like, and they are not here. However, this beer really tastes great. So, while I'd love to give it a 4.5 in this categoy, it deserves a 2.5 at best for false advertising. Did I get a batch without roses? Did they accidentally put a different beer in this bottle? I'm pretty disappointed in this regard, but what I am tasting is still really good.

THE FEEL is heavy yet effervescent. It's slightly creamy and has a very wet feeling. There is substantial warming from a 6.7% beer, and I attribute that to the body. Overall, a very balanced beer.

CONCLUSION: I have tried Caldera's ginger beer and that really does taste and smell like ginger, but this really does NOT taste or smell like roses. I would love to rate this beer higher based on its flavor and the enjoyment I got from it, but I just can't do it. My suggestion: Amp up the roses or use less hops and perhaps they would poke through. As it stands, this is false advertising. Sorry. Don't buy this for "roses", buy it because it's a great golden ale!!!

02-03-2012 23:06:30 | More by MadeInOregon
SamuelR

07-07-2014 17:20:26 | More by SamuelR
leeuwenhart

3.96/5  rDev +24.1%

Ah, I am super stoked on the Golden Rose Petal Imperial!!
My favorite beer so far this summer!
Amazing when packed on ice and served super cold, consumed out in the sun by the Rogue River, this beer is simply wonderful! Perfect, balanced, light, and refreshing.

07-02-2014 06:44:05 | More by leeuwenhart

flagmantho

Washington

3.39/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.25

Poured from 22oz bomber into a tulip.

Appearance: beer started to foam up immediately after I opened the bottle. Body is an orange-golden hue with a moderate haze and effervescence. Head is a thick finger of creamy ivory foam. It's actually pretty attractive; reminds me of a bière de garde.

Smell: sweetish and toasty with a definite plant-like herbal character, which I would not readily identify as rose petals but which makes sense given that knowledge. It's a bit pointed, overall, and not as enticing as it could be.

Taste: much like the aroma. It tastes a bit like the aroma of garden trimmings -- no doubt our roses at work here. While it is not bad, necessarily, the roses just don't work for me.

Mouthfeel: medium body with a huge carbonation and massive, mouth-filling creaminess. This part is awesome.

Overall: not really my style. It's a quality brew, seemingly done with care, but the roses are a novelty and a bit of a misstep as a brewing ingredient.

06-11-2014 20:26:11 | More by flagmantho
BurgeoningBrewhead

2.95/5  rDev -7.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

The lackluster label told me I shouldn't buy this one, but I did because it sounded interesting. Not sure what style this would be if it weren't for the herbal ingredients.

Poured into a 34oz mug; golden orange like honey, mostly clear with a minimal off-white head that fizzes out quickly leaving no lacing.
Smells of relatively heavy nutty malt with some odd peppery spice notes and a cloud of a fake-sweet smell that is sort of like cotton candy. I don't know where rose petals or "rose water" (whatever that is) factor in but it's not in the aroma.
Tastes like overcarbonated nutty malt with a hint of spice, like someone tried to make a mimosa with an old bottle of Dead Guy Ale and spilled some pepper in it.
Mouthfeel is medium-bodied, slick and wet and very carbonated.
Overall, this is not very good. It's drinkable (by that I mean were you so inclined, you could get through it) but it's a mess. No wonder this one was $4.49 when all the other Caldera bombers were $9 or however much. I have other beers to get to, so I'm not going to push myself through 22oz of empty calories when it tastes like this. Drain pour.

06-09-2014 23:11:13 | More by BurgeoningBrewhead
RochefortChris

05-24-2014 01:58:46 | More by RochefortChris
henryclay_

South Carolina

05-10-2014 16:28:29 | More by henryclay_
oscmy

Seriously, I love this beer. I adore floral beverages (floral does not necessarily mean sweet) and this has a fine nose. It's not overbearing, it's just right. I would drink this all year if it wasn't seasonal!

I would bet a lot of people wouldn't like this because it's not a hop bomb; however, that's a relief for me.

Oh, and I found this via Made in Oregon. Don't know if can be purchased and shipped from elsewhere or not.

Lastly, I have to admit, my favorite flavored tea is Rose Petal Black from Tao of Tea. I also have to confess that I live in Ohio, but I am a Portlandphile!

05-01-2014 16:48:58 | More by oscmy

07-29-2013 00:43:35 | More by OregonGrown7
Murrhey

Montana

2.36/5  rDev -26%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

Poured from a standard pressure-cap bottle into a conic pint glass in high elevation, Libby, Mont. Purchased from Belmont Station in Portland for $4.67. Reviewed live.

A- Three-finger white head, rapidly eroding head that sinks to a fluffy, sticky half-inch thick floater. Hazy golden color with low clarity.

S- Golden lager notes, flowery scents. It's not a very attractive smell.

T- Golden, clean flavor. Lager notes, golden malts. Relatively boring flavor. I'm not sure I know what rose petals taste like, so I can't pick out the flavor.

M- Unimpressive feel. Wet and heavier than I expected.

O- Well below average beer. Not very good.

05-10-2013 03:47:36 | More by Murrhey
chugamugofsud

02-20-2013 21:36:25 | More by chugamugofsud
dbrauneis

3.38/5  rDev +6%

A: Pours a slightly hazy medium golden yellow in color with some moderate amounts of visible carbonation. The beer has a two finger tall foamy off-white head that slowly reduces to a couple of very small patches of a large bubble or two, a very thin film covering the majority of the surface of the beer, and a thick ring at the edges of the glass. Moderate to significant amounts of lacing are observed.

S: Light to moderate floral aromas including a solid amount of rose present. Very light notes of pale malts as well and just a touch of peppery yeast..

T: Moderate flavors of pale malts with some definite notes of rose, rose water, and a light peppery spiciness likely contributed by the yeast. Very light amounts of bitterness that fade immediately.

M: Light to medium bodied with moderate amounts of carbonation. Slightly thin/watery.

O: The beer is well balanced as it comes out neither sweet or bitter and there is no alcohol present in either the smell or taste of this beer. I find this beer to be pretty interesting with the light amounts of rose present (I love turkish delight which has some notes of rose to it as well) combined with the peppery spices. Pretty easy to drink and refreshing.

12-17-2012 00:13:28 | More by dbrauneis
shelby415

09-16-2012 05:45:49 | More by shelby415
MitchellWarner

British Columbia (Canada)

2.98/5  rDev -6.6%

Aroma: rose, floral (almost perfume like) slight caramel and some slight hop spiciness. I find the floral aroma too strong.

Appearance: pale gold, very clear with stark white head that stuck around for around 5 min.

Flavor: Floral, almost soapy and quite strong. Not much in the way of hop or malt character is discernible. From what I can tell the base beer is nice a very balanced but just thoroughly over powered by the intense floral flavor.

Mouthfeel: crisp and light

Overall : The floral aroma and soapy flavor we're too much for me. It's an interesting idea but needs some work.

09-05-2012 06:58:56 | More by MitchellWarner
avaldivia

07-28-2012 22:04:56 | More by avaldivia
jak

06-19-2012 14:04:29 | More by jak
Beerandraiderfan

Nevada

Don't you kind of hate writing a negative review for a beer from a brewery you really like? Like the Bud light campaign says, "here we go. . . "

Pours a vibrant gold, soft white head 1" in depth on top of it. Like Tekagi said in Die Hard "What aroma?" Maybe you can find rose petals/water, but I could not, just the faint, ever so faint smell of pale malt/grain.

Taste, like Tekagi said in Die Hard "What Taste?" Man, this is like drinking almost nothing. Caldera has some beers that are massively flavorful, this must be their gateway get 'em in the door new type of brew or something, I really don't get it, its frankly "boring".

04-12-2012 23:43:18 | More by Beerandraiderfan
JerseyKirk

3.63/5  rDev +13.8%

A: golden to slight reddish hue. Creamy white tight bubble head.

S: spicy, floral, lemon peel, zesty, slight cinnamon.

T: sweet, rose, spicy bitter, over the top flowers. Grainy malt but rose overpowers it.

M: medium bodied. Sweet finish.

O: good b/c its unique bad b/c its unique. Its tough to envision as a session beer but its a nice different offering.

01-29-2012 19:28:24 | More by JerseyKirk
notchucknorris

A: Very pale golden color with pretty much no head whatsoever.

S: Kind of weird but a little intriguing as well. Lots of rose petals and rose water here. Some faint hints of yeast and bread as well.

T: Yeah, this isn't good. Lots of floral notes but there's no hint of the base beer here at all. A bit of a buttery note with some yeast, but that's about it. Mouthfeel is waaay thin and watery.

12-16-2011 13:43:01 | More by notchucknorris
brianairb85

4.18/5  rDev +31%

A- is cloudy and light glassy goldeness
S- smell of light winter pine needles and small delicate floral hints
T- the taste is light and easy to drink, very winter like in the beginning. Reminds me of being in a forest and then at the end your hit with small hints of flower flavor.
M- easy to the tounge and flows with 2 waves of flavor. Both are easy and satisfying.
O- this is a very unique beer and I would recommend it to any one for a very different drinking experience. It easy and I would drink this beer in the winter or spring. Its very light and still has a pretty high alcohol%.

11-29-2011 01:19:58 | More by brianairb85