Flying Monkeys Smashbomb Atomic IPA - Flying Monkeys Craft Brewery

Flying Monkeys Craft Brewery visit their website
Ontario, Canada

Beer added by: Sammy on 05-31-2010

1.69/5  rDev -57.5%

I absolutely love IPAs. the crispness, the bitterness. it's a real drinkers beer.

This is a failure of epic proportions. straight out of the fridge, ice cold...that's about the best part. once it hits your tongue and you get that fermented sock flavour splashing over your taste buds, you pull back, force yourself to swallow then exclaim "WTF was that??"

you think maybe it's just a lingering after taste from something you ate, so you try again....nope it's actually worse on the second mouthful.

maybe it's me, you think.
so you give one to your friend and his response is an enthusiastic, "dude that's F**king terrible"

I look into the glass...something must be wrong. it's supposed to be a pale, but it's more of an amber, far too dark to be what's reported.

a week later you fish bottle #3 out of the pack and try again. nope, same effect. in desperation you steal one of your wife's limes from the pile she's using for her coronas...one's not enough, after you've jammed four down the neck of the bottle it starts to become palatable....but four?? it's taken almost half a friggin lime to be palatable? what's wrong here? for a man who can chug tallboys of murphy's or guiness without blinking to be defeated by an IPA is impossible.

last ditch effort, beer barbecue sauce!!!!

worst goddamn barbecue sauce in existence.

epic fail (1,347 characters)

2.69/5  rDev -32.4%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Courtesy of northyorksammy (thanks!) - poured from a 12oz bottle into my Dogfish Head shaped pint glass.

Dark orange liquid capped by a tall layer of pale beige merengue. Lovely messy lacing, superior retention.

Catty, vegetal aromatics - lots of C-hops, acid, and hints of DMS.

Soapy, perfume-laden palate entry. Hints of bile amidst more pleasant hop flavors and a grassy/bready pale malt base.

Medium-light-bodied, well carbonated, lightly effervescent.

What I at first thought might be off-notes are integral to the flavor profile - not something I'd drink again. (573 characters)

2.91/5  rDev -26.9%

Very nice color. Clear straight thru the glass. Very pretty head, covered the entire glass. Not much in the aroma department. The taste is very bitter. When you drink it, there is a very full feel when you swallow. And when the beer hits your taste buds you know where the atomic name comes from, it is very strong in your mouth with a bitter feel. (349 characters)

2.93/5  rDev -26.4%

Poured from 12 oz bottle to a 6 oz glass. Big loose foam on golden body. Smells kinda skunky, actually, but doesn't taste that way.

Taste, up front, is big hops. Label says they use Citra hops. Definitely closer to grapefruit than pine. Nice underlying sweetness, but could be better balanced for my tastes -- maybe too heavy on the hops. What do you expect from "smashbomb atomic IPA" though? (And yes, the label says "smashbomb" -- one word -- not two as currently identified on BA. Granted, a super-hoppy IPA is not my favorite style so take it with a grain of salt.

Good refreshing effervescent mouthfeel. As it warms and after several sips, the hops fade from the finish and leave a better balanced flavor. (713 characters)

3.02/5  rDev -24.1%

Smooth def no punch you in the face hop taste as the bottle might make you think. Very good IPA for those that don't like hoppy super bitter beers. Solid citrus tastes somewhere in there. Worth a try for sure! (209 characters)

3.11/5  rDev -21.9%

Clear dark copper colour with a large, fluffy light tan head. Good head retention.

Malty, caramel malts with some diacetyl. Piney, resinous hops. Too malty.

Big bitterness without the corresponding hop flavour. A little citrus and pine. Lots of sweet malt and moderate diacetyl.

Medium body with moderate carbonation. A little slick.

A big, bitter IPA with a lot of malt and bitterness but this lacks the clarity of the best IPAs and the hop character needed. The diacetyl is also a disappointment. (502 characters)

3.16/5  rDev -20.6%

The pour is a slightly cloudy golden color with a couple fingers of white head. Not a big fan of this one. Pretty malt with a bit of floral malt, pine, and citrus peel. The flavor isn’t much better. Kind of bland with some bready malt and a little bit of citrus peel and floral hops, but a fairly pronounced bitterness. Really not a very good IPA. (349 characters)

3.25/5  rDev -18.3%

Flavors of citrus peel and something interesting, possibly Szechuan peppercorn? I know, I know, but that's what I taste. Hoppy (imagine that). Herbal. Bitter. Astringent. Tannic, really. Remove some sweetness and the carbonation and I'm reminded of cab sauv. Long finish.

Not crazy about it, but good. Hop heads will enjoy. (325 characters)

3.33/5  rDev -16.3%

Got a bunch of these from Korguy123 this past summer. Thanks for going to all the trouble to hook me up with these brews. Flying Monkeys is one of my favorite Ontario breweries, so I was much looking forward to this one!

From a bottle into a snifter.

APPEARANCE: One finger, medium looking, off white head with good retention. Burnt orange in color with next to zero carbonation. Head slowly fades to a good wisp and sticks to the sides of the glass. A splotchy wisp and ring remain leaving dots of lacing. Darker than the standard IPA, but we can expect that from these guys. Good looking brew.

SMELL: Pale malts, caramel, and lots of floral hops. Some citrus notes as well, with orange peel, lemon, and pineapple in there. Very floral and fruity, though only medium in strength.

TASTE: Pale malts, biscuit, and some sweet caramel malt. Sweet pineapple and lots of floral hops flavors. This one is 100% citra hop, so there is some soapy qualities in there as well. Not a fan of that. Some citrus orange and lemon peels, but the floral hop and, unfortunately, soap notes get in their way. Bold and lingering aftertaste is soapy, with some nice floral bitterness and sweet caramel balancing each other well. Not my favorite hop, but there are some good things going on here.

PALATE: Medium body and medium carbonation. Lighter on the palate and only semi-creamy, but goes down nicely smooth and finishes slightly dry on the palate. Ok here.

OVERALL: I really like these guys and appreciate what they’re doing for the Ontario craft beer scene. They belong to a very small number of breweries I actually get excited about when I go home. I like what they’re trying to do with this one, but the citra hop is not my first choice, as I always tend to get some soapy flavors out of it. Since this one is 100% citra, those soapy flavors were a little too present for me to really enjoy this. That said, I shared the other bottles with my two cousins and they finished them off quickly and asked for more! This is a hit in Ontario for a reason, as it is definitely quality, but I would take a Hoptical Illusion nine times out of ten I think. Thanks a lot for the trade Korguy123, and a big cheers for bringing so many of these bottles along! (2,246 characters)

3.34/5  rDev -16.1%

Appearance: A cloudy red and brown body the produced a single finger of carbonation that left ample lacing behind. Sadly it didn't last very long and the very low carbonation in the body might explain why.

Smell: Musty, dusty hops. This is the kind of smell that I would expect to come out of an old attic. Warming doesn't really help it's case either way. It's not very pleasant to my sense of smell.

Taste: Hmm...starts with caramel malt of which only the barest touches of piney hops touched, it then turns to a rich citrus whose bitterness seems reigned in nicely by the carbonation, and then a sudden punch of citrus, pine oil, musty hops and the kitchen sink as the hops smash into you like a car wreck.

Mouthfeel: The carbonation did an exceptional job of somehow reigning in the beer up until the bitter end, and while it's still leaving that hop oil coating on the back of the tounge, it's not as bad as other IPAs. Solid transitioning, although I of course think the hops are over done, but it is an IPA so I have to give leeway there.

Drinkability: It's kinda hard to gauge, I mean it's refreshing but those dry, musty hops take something away from it. It also doesn't sit down nicely as it seems far heavier and harsher then expected on the system. Still I'm not fighting to get it down.

Final Thoughts: Flying Monkeys, with this beer you have made me feel my purchase of BNL Chocolate Stout was a worthy purchase. This is by far one of the best IPA's I have had and certainly the best out of Canada. For a person who isn't normally a fan of them, I will recommend this one. After trying this, I'd like to see them do just a regular pale ale, just a touch down from Hoptical Illusion. I think it would be great. (1,729 characters)

3.4/5  rDev -14.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a tulip glass. Bottled Jan.9 2013.

A: Cloudy, burnt Amber with bubbles. Decent head on pour, leaves a nice lacing behind on top.

S: Light on the nose, light citrus and malts, along with some musty, woody hops perhaps... hard to say exactly. Bit bready as it warms up...

T: Not overly malty, citrus hop profile as it moves over your tongue, but then finishes quite bitter, lots of bitter rind and more musty, earthy/woody hops (not piney though)... kind of funky aftertaste...

M: Med-Light carbonation, fairly balanced, would say it leans more to the refreshing, not really all that sticky or dry... actually feels a bit light...

O: After reading a lot of other reviews it is hard to imagine this being the same beer... not sure if it's me, the beer, or a case of reviewer propagation... For starters I won't say it is a bad beer like the previous reviewer, just different than other IPA's out there (I just had the two Muskoka Mad Tom's earlier this week)...that being said, compared to past reviews I find this a lot less citrus/tropical than others and really musty...which as far as I know is not a typical profile of the Citra Hop... I will hold off on forming any definitive opinion until I see more people review this around my brew date on the bottle (please people, if you can, add your bottling dates! :) ... perhaps there was something off with this batch.... If I try it again or more fresh I will update the review to reflect this... If this is how it is suppose to taste I would not say I'm a huge fan... and I enjoy a good bitter beer as much as the next hop head... (1,597 characters)

3.44/5  rDev -13.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This didn't really bring anything to the table. Especially if you're used to craft beers on the East coast and Michigan.
Appearance: Very clear. It put me off. I like full bodied IPA's.
Smell: Weaker than say a Sweetwater IPA.
Taste: Decent. Hoppy, but not as hoppy as the Spearhead hawaiian style ale. I mean, come on. 'Super Atomic IPA' and it's weak? I was a bit let down.
Mouthfeel: It's very clear, filtered and refined. Very similar to a Sweetwater IPA, but a bit darker.

Overall, I shouldn't complain. I drank a good IPA brewed in Ontario. It was like I visited my parents in Nebraska and wasn't used to what the local breweries put out, therefore was scared and pessimistic. I gave it a 3.5 as I was happy to see that Canadians like a good IPA. And I was even happier to drink a this along side the Spearhead Hawaiian style ale in the same sitting.

I'm glad I can travel to the greater north and enjoy a great IPA. (924 characters)

3.46/5  rDev -13.1%

Pours a darker copper colour than most aIPAs, with a respectable head of loose bubbles. Laces nicely.

Muted c-hops, bright yellow grapefruit, a hint of butter in the aroma.

The hops are all about brash, pithy bitterness with no real finesse, adding more bitterness than flavour. The good news is it's up against a toasty light, creamy caramel malt. The malt base is nice. Maybe not ideal for a true IPA in its sweetness, but I guess it's sweet enough to balance the bitterness. That said, the hop bite is a little too one-note for me. Something tannic like over-steeped orange pekoe tea lingers in the finish.

Has a good, lightly chewy body with moderate carbonation

Overall this isn't how I remember it on tap, and leans more towards the Duggan's #9, Dead Elephant, recent crappy Beaver River IPeh bottles that were at the LCBO, camp of bitter ambers that anything approaching a true aIPA for me.

Certainly not a bad beer, but an Ontario brewer has yet to hit an American IPA out of the park for me. I much prefer this on tap.

Less important is the fact that the labels are garishly horrible and downright childish. I think I'd feel less embarrassed standing at a check out to buy tampons than I did queuing up to buy this. (1,230 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -12.1%

May not have been a good idea to forget about this brew in the back of my fridge. Not sure when it was bottled since its ?/16/14 for the date. Paid $2.49 for the single at Vintage Estate 2 months ago.

A - Thankfully no sediment floaties so it's newer than 6 months or filtered. Head is just a 1/4 inch but it sticks around forever. Color is an on par light amber brown clear.
S - Smells rather nice mild zesty citrus and lemon hops no hard pine or medicinal bitterness. Malty sweetness seems to be in check.
T - Very harsh bitter hops. Not too palatable really they seem balanced enough but I am not digging the taste. Like floor cleaner very medicinal and soapy. No good.
M - Sort of light to medium on the palate with very harsh lingering bitterness.

Not my thing in the slightest figured it would be terrible ended up being unbearably bitter yet not undrinkable. Would not get again. (889 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -12.1%

Bottled on Aug 17, 2011. Drank Sept 1st into Unibroue tulip.

Appearance: 3.5

Medium darkness, amber-brown clear body with 1’ yellow cream white head. Good lacing.

Smell: 3.5

Moderate citrus aroma with notes of mango, tangerine, orange, and without an overtly grapefruit presence. Very characteristic of the Citra hops used. Also detect a touch of bready/caramel malt.

Taste: 3.5

Initially, starts with a touch of citrus and sweetness. Quite quickly, a moderate to strong amount of bitterness becomes apparent. This tends to be a touch on the more piney/woody side, with the citrus aspect fading out. Throughout, you get a faint backbone of malt. Finishes with a notable, partly dry bitterness. Somewhat one-dimensional.

Mouthfeel: 3.5

Overall, average, if not a bit on the thin side. Slight creaminess. Has a mild to moderate astringency.

Overall: 3.5

Not a bad IPA, but I expected more. This is the first time I have had it in bottles, and based on the bottling date, it should be reasonably fresh. Now it was not in the refrigerated section of the LCBO, but most beers aren’t so I can’t really use that as an excuse. I have had it on tap before and I remember it being better, I think. I will review the other bottles in the 6-pack to see if they are any different and also try to have it on tap again. It is a above-average IPA, esp for Ontario. But I don’t think it compares to Red Racer or other American IPAs. I would have it again because it’s easier than driving to USA. Interesting to compare to limited release of Miami Weiss, which I remember was quick good last year on tap. (1,607 characters)

3.55/5  rDev -10.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

355 ml bottle poured into a Duvel tulip.

A: Pours a clear amber with a half finger of beige head; poor retention, minimal lacing.

S: Smells of tropical fruit, citrus, caramel malt. Not all that strong, like past its prime Red Racer.

T: I'm getting a lot of hop bitterness from this but not much hop flavour.

M: Medium mouthfeel with suitable carbonation.

D: Was this the original batch prepared for the lcbo? It tastes like old IPA to me. All the hype and a huge disappointment. Bring on the Red Racer! (511 characters)

3.56/5  rDev -10.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Super tart as you would expect. Strong citrus flavor. 6% ABV so not too strong in the alcohol department. Not something you would want every day but if you are in the mood for a an IPA with a bite this is a good one to try. The name really says it all Smashbomb. (262 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -10.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I picked up a bottle of Flying Monkey's Smashbomb Atomic IPA last week for $2.19 at The Lager Mill. I've never had anything from this brewery before and I thought I would start off with their IPA, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a teku glass.

A- The label looks nice, it's got a good design to it and it's eye catching. It poured a hazy orange color that took on more of an amber red color when held to the light with one and a half fingers worth of creamy and slightly bubbly off white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left some sticky lacing behind. This is a pretty nice looking style, but it's a little to hazy for the style.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness with the fruity hops being the first to show up and they impart some nice citrus rind aromas with a little bit of tropical fruits showing up in the background along with some grassy and slightly earthy hop aromas. Up next comes the malts which show up nicely and they impart a nice pale malt, sweet malt and bready aroma with some doughy yeast showing up in the background. This beer had a pretty nice aroma. I liked the hop profile and it was fairly balanced.

T- The taste seems to be fairly similar to the aroma and it starts off with a medium amount of sweetness with the malts being the first to show up this time and they impart the same pale malt and bready aspects that they did in the aroma with some doughy yeast still showing up in the background. Up next comes the hops which take on more of an earthy, grassy and spicy hop flavors with a little bit of those citrus rind hops showing up in the background. On the finish there's a medium amount of aspirin like bitterness with a earthy, grassy and spicy hop aftertaste. This was a nice tasting IPA, but I wish the hop profile was more like it was in the aroma.

M- Fairly smooth, a little clean, a slightly crisp, dry on the finish, medium bodied with a lower amount of medium carbonation. This beer had a nice mouthfeel that worked well well with it, but It could use just a little more carbonation.

Overall I thought this was a decent beer and I thought it was a decent example of an American IPA, after that pretty nice aroma I was looking forward to the taste, but I found that it was lacking that nice fruity aspect that it had in the aroma and in my opinion that held this beer back. This beer had ok drinkability, it was fairly smooth, a little clean, slightly crisp, dry on the finish, not too filling and the taste didn't do the best job at holding my attention, one is enough for me, anymore than that and I would start to get bored with it. What I like the most about this beer was the appearance and aroma, to me those were the highlights of this beer and they were both pretty nice. What I liked the least about this beer was that the hop profile in the taste isn't more like it was in the aroma, if it had more of that fruity hop aspect in the taste I think it would be a pretty good IPA. I wouldn't buy this beer again, but I wouldn't turn one down, it's very easy for me to find an IPA that I like more. I can't say I would really recommend this beer, if your a big IPA fan it might be worth a try, but I don't think it will make it to the top of anyone's list. All in all I thought this beer was just ok, it wasn't bad by any means, but I didn't find any aspect to be too impressive and in the end I just wanted a little more out of it, but the balance wasn't bad. This made for an ok first impression for this brewery and I would be interested in trying more beers from them. This was a decent IPA, but I think with some work it could be a good example of the style, better luck next time guys. (3,784 characters)

3.59/5  rDev -9.8%

355 ml bottle picked up from the singles bin from the LCBO for $2.00 CDN

Appearance- Bottle poured into a pint glass. Nice dark copper / brown color with 1 finger of head which sticks around for a few minutes. Nice white cap and head looks frothy and rich as it dissipates. Good lacing too. Minimal effervescence, but nonetheless the beer looks pretty damn good.

Smell - Big nose of citrus, grapefruit, lemon with just a faint sweetness to it that helps balance the scent. Also pine notes in addition to the fruity goodness.

Taste - Big time pine / spruce flavors up front which transition into the lemon and grapefruit flavors. Grapefruit is especially prominent here. Long lasting and dominant pine / grapefruit aftertaste.

Mouthfeel - Lowish carbonation combined with the flavors leaves a strong aftertaste, that to me does not lend itself the beer serving a means to quench thirst. In addition my mouth is actually parched after drinking this (although less so after a nice big gulp).

Overall - A good beer, but I think i prefer other locally brewed IPA's in comparison with this one. (1,094 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -8.3%

On-tap at the Winking Judge.

Poued into a pint glass a deep, clear reddish amber. Good amount of fluffy, sticky white head. Retention is high, the lacing sticks to the glass untill the (bitter) end. Nose was resinous hops! Unbelievable, never experienced such a fresh hoppy beer from Ontario. Lots of citrus grapefruit to sweeten the auroma, but alot of pine and oil from hop cones. Taste was a bitter whole cone experiance. Lots of oily pine & citrus hop character, easy drinking though as it tased delicious. Good medium body, with a resiny dry mouthfeel. Overall this is a great beer - unbelievably fresh on tap. A standout American IPA. Dont really care much for the whole marketed "weirdness" and labels but if this was on shelves it would be a staple in my fridge. Impressive. Finally. (792 characters)

3.67/5  rDev -7.8%

Finally, bottles have arrived at the LCBO! Listed as 6.0% on the bottle. Ugliest Flying Monkeys art yet, hope this beer lives up to hype. Going with an oversized wine glass, as I've reviewed Mad Tom, Crazy Canuck and Southern Tier Gemini/IPA/2XIPA in one. Bottled on June 17, 2011.

Pours a fairly dark, rusty amber colour with a moderate-sized tan head that gets retained as a collared film while leaving some mild lacing. A bit dark for an American IPA but I'll let it slide.

Smells like other recent Ontario IPA offerings at first. Very hop-forward with a buttery citrus aroma. A butterscotch-caramel tone provides a sweet backing and a light rose floral accent comes through after warming.

The taste is mostly well-balanced, but I was hoping for just a bit more punch. The tangy hop bite it quickly enveloped by a syrupy caramel malt flavour. It's quite bitter overall, both on the front and the back of the tongue and I don't get much in the way of subtlety.

A long-lasting collar provides a smooth creaminess. A tea-like taste appears briefly before a rather strong bitterness seizes up the tongue. It does have a noticeable oily quality as well.

Well, after waiting so long to try it, I can't help but be a bit disappointed.

It's certainly not bad at all, in fact it's a good beer and something I'll have again, but doesn't really do anything to stand out over it's peers at all other than being a tad over-bitter. I actually prefer their Cascadian Dark Ale over this because its somewhat unique in my region. (1,522 characters)

3.68/5  rDev -7.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Dark orange, nice creamy off-white head.
Smell of citrus hop, caramel and heavy toasted biscuits, plenty of floral notes with a sweet honey-like side to it, faint peach, and also a bit of earthiness that doesn't bode well.
A "crowded" start, with big bitter hops and a really strong malty backbone, quite heavy and not that attractive. A really bitter citrus character, like orange and grapefruit devoid of any sweetness, plus a slightly sour lemon zestiness. Toasted biscuits, caramel sweetness just for a short flash, quickly stampeded on by big grassy hops, really bitter and dry in the finish.
Aftertaste mostly of bitter hops and some grapefruit peel. Medium body, medium carbonation. Lingering bitterness, like medicine or perfume stuck down the throat.
Lots of hops in this one, "barely under control", as they say on the label, but not entirely cool. Big single-flavored punch, a pity. (893 characters)

3.7/5  rDev -7%

Undated bottle consumed Nov. 19, 2011 at Inaugural Bottle Share. From notes. Thanks cenquist!

A: Copper and clear with a small head. Light lacing.
S: Grapefruit, caramel, some booze.
T: Some sweet malt with light fruit notes and a distinct bitterness, that is almost harsh.
M: Bitter and dry
O: An IPA, but it is really missing the hop flavours I have come to expect from a great IPA. As time passes and it warms it begins to become hot and boozy... (450 characters)

3.75/5  rDev -5.8%

Beer is reddish amber in colour. My pint had basically no head whatsoever, just a bit of white froth around the side.

The smell is pleasant but faint- a light scent of hops, slightly floral. Rather nice, but I had really had to search for it.

As for the taste, it is quite bitter. A grapefruity citrus is strongly present, and there is a slight soapy taste to the beer (which sounds awful, but really is not bad). Finish is all bitterness. Not particularly complex, but pretty good.

As for mouthfeel, it is incredibly carbonated, to the point where it is irritating to the mouth and makes it difficult to enjoy the beer. I found it got better as time went by, and started to become a little less intense in the mouth, which was a great improvement. Body is otherwise light bodied, and is quite refreshing.

Overall, a pretty good but not great beer. Frankly, I think it is a little overrated, but is certainly a good American IPA for Ontario. (946 characters)

3.75/5  rDev -5.8%

A - Pours golden brown with two fingers of off white head that retains to a think cap around the glass. Nice rings all the way down.

S - Floral, citrus fruit, malts.

T - Layers of citrus hops, floral, balanced by malts. Good balance and nice bitter mouth feel.

O - Solid offering from Canada. Good I-P - Eh! (313 characters)

Flying Monkeys Smashbomb Atomic IPA from Flying Monkeys Craft Brewery