Flying Monkeys Smashbomb Atomic IPA - Flying Monkeys Craft Brewery

Flying Monkeys Smashbomb Atomic IPAFlying Monkeys Smashbomb Atomic IPA

Flying Monkeys Craft Brewery visit their website
Ontario, Canada

(Beer added by: Sammy on 05-31-2010)
3.25/5  rDev -17.5%

4.25/5  rDev +7.9%

4.25/5  rDev +7.9%

4.13/5  rDev +4.8%

Bottle tasted in comparison to Racer 5 (Bear Republic) and Alesmith's IPA.

A: It's got great head retention and a clear golden-copper colour.

S: Bready, biscuity with a bright passionfruit aroma. It's super balanced between citra-type hops and toasty malts.

T: A good balanced of the biscuit and the citrus of the hops. It's got that tropical fruit (mango, passionfruit) on the finish. Very enjoyable.

M: Creamy and medium. A good IPA mouthfeel.

O: It's really one of the best Ontario IPAs. It's very balanced and got some real nice west coast flavours. Personally, I prefer the pine tastes of Mad Top over the tropical tasting Smashbomb most of the time, but this is a great beer too!

3.45/5  rDev -12.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This didn't really bring anything to the table. Especially if you're used to craft beers on the East coast and Michigan.
Appearance: Very clear. It put me off. I like full bodied IPA's.
Smell: Weaker than say a Sweetwater IPA.
Taste: Decent. Hoppy, but not as hoppy as the Spearhead hawaiian style ale. I mean, come on. 'Super Atomic IPA' and it's weak? I was a bit let down.
Mouthfeel: It's very clear, filtered and refined. Very similar to a Sweetwater IPA, but a bit darker.

Overall, I shouldn't complain. I drank a good IPA brewed in Ontario. It was like I visited my parents in Nebraska and wasn't used to what the local breweries put out, therefore was scared and pessimistic. I gave it a 3.5 as I was happy to see that Canadians like a good IPA. And I was even happier to drink a this along side the Spearhead Hawaiian style ale in the same sitting.

I'm glad I can travel to the greater north and enjoy a great IPA.

3.78/5  rDev -4.1%

Bought the last bottle in the store...like someone had bought the last five bottles in a six pack....LOL and I got the last bottle...which I quickly scooped up....

a-pours a beautiful copper amber colour, minimal head.

s-citrus, light malt flavours...some spicey/peppery notes at the end.

t-Hops dominate obviously...slightly balanced by some malty sweetness. Def in favour of the hops

m-feels heavier as per the abv.

o-overall this beer is tremendous...especially given that it's a Canadian IPA which are beginning to come into their own prominence.

I really enjoyed this and would love to see it become as easy to find as the Hoptical Illusion.

4.03/5  rDev +2.3%

A - a hazy deep copper, tall off white head that retained extremely well leaving big gobs of lacing all over
S - strong hints of citrus rind, toffee, pineapple, mild spice
T - similar to the nose with the citrus more toned down, also an earthy hop note
M - medium body with a lowish carbonation, an easy drinking smooth finish with a very light bitter
O - a very tasty IPA from a Canadian brewer that am I gaining more respect for with each brew, big props to andrenaline for including this in our latest cross country swap

3.75/5  rDev -4.8%

4.72/5  rDev +19.8%

My favourite Flying Monkeys brew to date, an exquisitiely good hop explosion with an incredibly satisfying mouthfeel.

Pours with good amount of clean head that becomes a fine soapy cloudy when the head dies down. Stays around for the whole drinking experience. Cloudy from a lot of hop sediment specks, colour is a dark carrot orange.

You can smell the tantalizing Citra hops right away and the rest of the aromas are drowned out, I can only say that everything else just smells clean and inviting.

The first sip delivers a strong kick of the promised hops and the 6.0% ABV is evident just in the impact that you get right away. There is a lot of delicious citrous flavour in this as can be expected. The hops are central to this beer but are complemented nicely with 'Crystal' malt as the named backbone.

My experience is usually first citrousy malt combination followed by a cleansing hop punch that continues to the back of the tongue. I absolutely love this IPA and keep coming back to it despite all the amazing new beers piling up in my cellar that I keep meaning to get to.

I love burbing when I drink this beer, it tastes just as good bubbling back up as it does going down.

You can get these at most LCBO's for $12.75 for a six pack. Great value for one of Ontario's absolute best craft beers.

3.93/5  rDev -0.3%

On tap at The Only Cafe in Toronto. Amber-coloured body with a light haze and a good cover of beige head.

Lots of tropical fruit on the nose: lychee, guava and mango. Light candy malt.

More tropical character in the mouth, with some very nice hops presenting lychee, mango and guava again along with some grassiness, a little pepper and a solid bitterness. Under-malted a bit, featuring a dry biscuty malt; I'd prefer a little more sweetness to accent those juicy tropical flavours. A touch of alcohol and grapefruit pith on the finish.

Medium light body with a moderate carbonation. Okay feel, though not a standout.

This is good stuff, I'd be happy to have this available in Quebec. Not completely balanced in the way I like but the hops are very nice. This would probably be my choice relatively-inexpensive, readily-available go-to beer if I lived in Ontario.

3.68/5  rDev -6.6%

Undated bottle consumed Nov. 19, 2011 at Inaugural Bottle Share. From notes. Thanks cenquist!

A: Copper and clear with a small head. Light lacing.
S: Grapefruit, caramel, some booze.
T: Some sweet malt with light fruit notes and a distinct bitterness, that is almost harsh.
M: Bitter and dry
O: An IPA, but it is really missing the hop flavours I have come to expect from a great IPA. As time passes and it warms it begins to become hot and boozy...

Flying Monkeys Smashbomb Atomic IPA from Flying Monkeys Craft Brewery