Flying Monkeys Smashbomb Atomic IPA - Flying Monkeys Craft Brewery

Flying Monkeys Craft Brewery visit their website
Ontario, Canada

Beer added by: Sammy on 05-31-2010

3.58/5  rDev -10.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I picked up a bottle of Flying Monkey's Smashbomb Atomic IPA last week for $2.19 at The Lager Mill. I've never had anything from this brewery before and I thought I would start off with their IPA, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a teku glass.

A- The label looks nice, it's got a good design to it and it's eye catching. It poured a hazy orange color that took on more of an amber red color when held to the light with one and a half fingers worth of creamy and slightly bubbly off white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left some sticky lacing behind. This is a pretty nice looking style, but it's a little to hazy for the style.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness with the fruity hops being the first to show up and they impart some nice citrus rind aromas with a little bit of tropical fruits showing up in the background along with some grassy and slightly earthy hop aromas. Up next comes the malts which show up nicely and they impart a nice pale malt, sweet malt and bready aroma with some doughy yeast showing up in the background. This beer had a pretty nice aroma. I liked the hop profile and it was fairly balanced.

T- The taste seems to be fairly similar to the aroma and it starts off with a medium amount of sweetness with the malts being the first to show up this time and they impart the same pale malt and bready aspects that they did in the aroma with some doughy yeast still showing up in the background. Up next comes the hops which take on more of an earthy, grassy and spicy hop flavors with a little bit of those citrus rind hops showing up in the background. On the finish there's a medium amount of aspirin like bitterness with a earthy, grassy and spicy hop aftertaste. This was a nice tasting IPA, but I wish the hop profile was more like it was in the aroma.

M- Fairly smooth, a little clean, a slightly crisp, dry on the finish, medium bodied with a lower amount of medium carbonation. This beer had a nice mouthfeel that worked well well with it, but It could use just a little more carbonation.

Overall I thought this was a decent beer and I thought it was a decent example of an American IPA, after that pretty nice aroma I was looking forward to the taste, but I found that it was lacking that nice fruity aspect that it had in the aroma and in my opinion that held this beer back. This beer had ok drinkability, it was fairly smooth, a little clean, slightly crisp, dry on the finish, not too filling and the taste didn't do the best job at holding my attention, one is enough for me, anymore than that and I would start to get bored with it. What I like the most about this beer was the appearance and aroma, to me those were the highlights of this beer and they were both pretty nice. What I liked the least about this beer was that the hop profile in the taste isn't more like it was in the aroma, if it had more of that fruity hop aspect in the taste I think it would be a pretty good IPA. I wouldn't buy this beer again, but I wouldn't turn one down, it's very easy for me to find an IPA that I like more. I can't say I would really recommend this beer, if your a big IPA fan it might be worth a try, but I don't think it will make it to the top of anyone's list. All in all I thought this beer was just ok, it wasn't bad by any means, but I didn't find any aspect to be too impressive and in the end I just wanted a little more out of it, but the balance wasn't bad. This made for an ok first impression for this brewery and I would be interested in trying more beers from them. This was a decent IPA, but I think with some work it could be a good example of the style, better luck next time guys. (3,784 characters)

3.75/5  rDev -5.8%

Beer is reddish amber in colour. My pint had basically no head whatsoever, just a bit of white froth around the side.

The smell is pleasant but faint- a light scent of hops, slightly floral. Rather nice, but I had really had to search for it.

As for the taste, it is quite bitter. A grapefruity citrus is strongly present, and there is a slight soapy taste to the beer (which sounds awful, but really is not bad). Finish is all bitterness. Not particularly complex, but pretty good.

As for mouthfeel, it is incredibly carbonated, to the point where it is irritating to the mouth and makes it difficult to enjoy the beer. I found it got better as time went by, and started to become a little less intense in the mouth, which was a great improvement. Body is otherwise light bodied, and is quite refreshing.

Overall, a pretty good but not great beer. Frankly, I think it is a little overrated, but is certainly a good American IPA for Ontario. (946 characters)

4.22/5  rDev +6%

Had a full pint of this after the Spring Festival of Craft Beers at C'est What.

Poured a cloudy orange with small white head. Lots of grapefruit in the nose. Taste has tons of grapefruit and hoppy bitterness. Quite delicious stuff. It was a little thin in the body, which I'm hoping will improve when I try this in bottle/tap. I'm excited that this beer is going to start coming into the Ontario market because we need a west coast style IPA.

Update after having it on cask at Volo during Toronto beer week Sept '10:
Better hoppy aroma with some pine and the carbonation was much nicer. A finger of head with nice lacing. Upped the review from B+ to A-. (656 characters)

3.33/5  rDev -16.3%

Got a bunch of these from Korguy123 this past summer. Thanks for going to all the trouble to hook me up with these brews. Flying Monkeys is one of my favorite Ontario breweries, so I was much looking forward to this one!

From a bottle into a snifter.

APPEARANCE: One finger, medium looking, off white head with good retention. Burnt orange in color with next to zero carbonation. Head slowly fades to a good wisp and sticks to the sides of the glass. A splotchy wisp and ring remain leaving dots of lacing. Darker than the standard IPA, but we can expect that from these guys. Good looking brew.

SMELL: Pale malts, caramel, and lots of floral hops. Some citrus notes as well, with orange peel, lemon, and pineapple in there. Very floral and fruity, though only medium in strength.

TASTE: Pale malts, biscuit, and some sweet caramel malt. Sweet pineapple and lots of floral hops flavors. This one is 100% citra hop, so there is some soapy qualities in there as well. Not a fan of that. Some citrus orange and lemon peels, but the floral hop and, unfortunately, soap notes get in their way. Bold and lingering aftertaste is soapy, with some nice floral bitterness and sweet caramel balancing each other well. Not my favorite hop, but there are some good things going on here.

PALATE: Medium body and medium carbonation. Lighter on the palate and only semi-creamy, but goes down nicely smooth and finishes slightly dry on the palate. Ok here.

OVERALL: I really like these guys and appreciate what they’re doing for the Ontario craft beer scene. They belong to a very small number of breweries I actually get excited about when I go home. I like what they’re trying to do with this one, but the citra hop is not my first choice, as I always tend to get some soapy flavors out of it. Since this one is 100% citra, those soapy flavors were a little too present for me to really enjoy this. That said, I shared the other bottles with my two cousins and they finished them off quickly and asked for more! This is a hit in Ontario for a reason, as it is definitely quality, but I would take a Hoptical Illusion nine times out of ten I think. Thanks a lot for the trade Korguy123, and a big cheers for bringing so many of these bottles along! (2,246 characters)

3.78/5  rDev -5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

355ml bottle
Served in a snifter

A - I'll call this beer amber with some golden highlights. It is topped with an inch of off-white head that leaves some lacing down the sides.

S - The smell is citrus and pine. I get a little peach too.

T - The taste starts out with citrus. The finish and aftertaste are bitter pine.

M - Medium

O - It is better than I remember. I had a draft that I wasn't impressed with and have passed this beer over. A couple bottles as a gift made me realize this is a decent IPA. I'll still stick with my Ohio and Michigan IPA's over this as regulars though. (588 characters)

4.03/5  rDev +1.3%

I have no shame in admitting that up to this point I've admired the hype from Flying Monkeys, and I love their chutzpah, but I feel they are let to deliver on their word. Smash Bomb had also been hyped up, and while its not a stellar IPA, its a damn good one and worthy of attention. I usually dislike their stuff, so I hope this is worth something...

Pours a radiant orange with a light off white head that left sheets of lace. Great appearance. Bright citrus aroma with lots of grapefruit, mango, weed, grass, pine and cereal. Decent bitterness in the flavour, which is bracing and somewhat radical for Ontario (but not North America). Good citrus flavours with grapefruit and tangerine. Weed and pine come through with some good complexity. Malt is present underneath with a cream of cereal flavour, though the focus is hop-forward. Interesting and well done. Body is a toouch creamy and nicely finished.

Hmmph. Prove me wrong will ya! A really well-crafted offering and an IPA in every sense of the word. This isn't a top tier IPA, but is definitely at the top of the middle-tier and I really enjoyed it. I hope they stick to their guns on this one and don't water it down, because right now its tasting damn good! (1,220 characters)

4.07/5  rDev +2.3%

Poured a nice pale straw colour, slightly cloudy nice white head that lasted forever. Smells of fruity bitter hops absolutely mouthwatering cant wait to try this. Nice bitter hoppy taste quite dry but oh so tasty. good weight in the mouth nice body to back up the bitter hops. Great drinking IPA. Really good all around would definitely order this again. (354 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +4.3%

On-tap pint at C'est What in Toronto.
Clear amber copper color, with a full white head. Foam fades slowly, but never really disappears, leaving nice looking lacing.
Smell is full of hops (as expected), floral hops with lots of citrus. Taste matches the aroma, it has a nice hoppy flavor and bitterness. Citrus, grapefruit and some piney notes. There is some malts, but not enought to balance the bitterness.
Mouthfeel has a medium carbonation and body.
It is a very smooth and drinkable beer. Lots of hops, but not as over-the-top burn as some IPAs. It's a winner. (564 characters)

4.03/5  rDev +1.3%

A - a hazy deep copper, tall off white head that retained extremely well leaving big gobs of lacing all over
S - strong hints of citrus rind, toffee, pineapple, mild spice
T - similar to the nose with the citrus more toned down, also an earthy hop note
M - medium body with a lowish carbonation, an easy drinking smooth finish with a very light bitter
O - a very tasty IPA from a Canadian brewer that am I gaining more respect for with each brew, big props to andrenaline for including this in our latest cross country swap (523 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +13.1%

Appearance: It has a nice orange/copper colour to it. It has a nice off-white head that dies down slowly and leaves nice lacing.

Smell: The aromas definitly give out hints of citrucy/tropical hops with some nice floral undertones, crystal malts and some light caramely notes.

Taste: Like the aromas, it has a nice hoppy character and bitterness with nice citrusy,tropical fruit and grapefruit notes. The malts also bring a nice sweet balance to it.

Mouthfeel: It has a medium carbonation with very nice balance of flavors.

Drinkability: It's a very smooth drinkable beer accompanied with great flavours and aromas. (621 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Hey, should we have a new category for Canadian IPA? The answer is no, of course, unless there evolves something unique, like AIPA's. That said, this is an excellent example of the style.

It pours a perfect dark yellow with loads of head that turns into lacing. The aroma is a cut above with a sweet hoppiness that is stronger than most. The taste follows suit, with a great balance of high taste ingredients - loads of hops offset with a malty and yeasty taste. Nothing wimpy about this, true to over the top American style IPA. The aftertaste is a nice refreshing bitterness.

This is a major success on tap. I will try it from a bottle if I ever see it. I am pretty sure that this brewer is new to our area even though they are less than 300 miles from here. It's nice to see more great brewing in Canada, eh. (813 characters)

3.77/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Bottle > Pint Glass

A - Clear gold with a nice two finger off white fluffy head, big blanket of lacing.
S - Typical pine, grapefruit, orange juice, cracker malt, a little sweet grain.
T - Very sweet and grainy, almost in the adjunct way. Middle to end you get a little grassy and pine bitterness, some grapefruit.
M - Medium body, well carbonated.
O - Its just ok, I'm kinda shocked at some of the other reviews this has gotten, its nothing stellar at all, very generic. (474 characters)

4.23/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours nicely into an Innis and Gunn taster glass, with a solid head of tan head which resides slightly.

Colour is rich chestnut brown. Fair bit of carbonation. Aromas of malt, and generous hops, but fairly restrained. Flavour is quite solid. Lots of hops, but flavour is nicely balanced with caramel, robust fruit flavours, lot going on and its intriguing and delicious. Hops do dominate and bring a bit of a bitter edge to the taste. Mouthfeel is quite full bodied, it mellows a bit in the finish, but always has a very strong presence.
Aftertaste is quite long and delicious, lots of hops and cinnamon fruit, lingers in the mouth for ages afterward.

Overall this is a really big IPA, with quite a bit of bitterness, but I find it really well balanced with the depth of complexity and flavour profile. It is really intense and heavily hopped, but I would definitely get more. (878 characters)

4.38/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

355 mL bottle from a six-pack; bottled in May 2012. This only recently became available at my local LCBO, which I hope is a harbinger of more craft brews to come.

Pours a nice copper-amber colour, slightly cloudy, with a monstrous, puffy, uneven head nearly three fingers thick erupting from the surface. It takes more than a few minutes to fully dissipate, leaving behind complex webs of lacing on the sides of the glass as it does so. Certainly looks good. Very nice, fairly powerful aroma dominated by citrusy hops, tropical fruit and some weaker pine resin notes. There is some underlying caramel malt sweetness, but the hops are most assuredly in the limelight - and I wouldn't want my IPA any other way.

The aroma is not misleading - this is a tasty, hoppy IPA, of the sort that Ontario beer geeks have been largely deprived until recent months. Tons of grapefruit rind, alongside juicy mango and papaya notes - this ale definitely leans toward the juicy-fruit type of hop oil, rather than the pine-resiny type. Although the hops are by far the more dominant facet of the flavour, there is definitely some balancing malt presence, of a bready, sweet toffee-like nature. Solid hoppy finish with good bitterness, but not the sort of powerful, face-puckering dryness I get in a lot of the more 'piney' IPAs. Medium-bodied, with a slightly oily mouthfeel. Perfect carbonaton level; not distracting from the flavour, but more than enough to give the brew a crisp, refreshing feel.

Final Grade: 4.38, a brown-nosing A grade. If you live in Ontario and consider yourself a hophead, but have never tried Smash Bomb Atomic IPA - stop wasting your time reading this review and go try it right now. Or at least, as soon as your local LCBO opens its doors in the morning. Yes, I am being serious. Yes, it really is that good. And yes, I will definitely get this again some time.

[Updated April 29 2014]

Another bottle from a six-pack, dated March 27 2014. When served fresh, this is absolutely one of the best Ontario-made IPAs available, with lots of pithy bitterness, and juicy tropical fruit/citrus. That being said, I have had old bottles of this stuff and, like most IPAs, it really loses a lot of its kick after 3-4 months. Avoid those and you're golden! As far as widely-distributed Canadian IPAs go, this one is right up there with Red Racer IMHO. (2,354 characters)

2.69/5  rDev -32.4%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Courtesy of northyorksammy (thanks!) - poured from a 12oz bottle into my Dogfish Head shaped pint glass.

Dark orange liquid capped by a tall layer of pale beige merengue. Lovely messy lacing, superior retention.

Catty, vegetal aromatics - lots of C-hops, acid, and hints of DMS.

Soapy, perfume-laden palate entry. Hints of bile amidst more pleasant hop flavors and a grassy/bready pale malt base.

Medium-light-bodied, well carbonated, lightly effervescent.

What I at first thought might be off-notes are integral to the flavor profile - not something I'd drink again. (573 characters)

3.8/5  rDev -4.5%

A - Clear amber with a good creamy head.

S/T - Big grapefruit hop with pine, toasty, husky grain and a light tobacco. Very hoppy. Some apple and light fruitiness as well.

M - A bit too carbonated this one. Hurts a bit to drink.

D - Overall, a big hoppy IPA/DIPA that could benefit from some more depth. Some more sweetness to balance the hops would be nice too. (364 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +5.5%

Pours a fiery red color with a massive foamy head that lasts the entire glass. Chunks of foam cover most of the glass on the way down. Plenty of citrusy hops make up the aroma. Hops come to the fore in the first sip - lemon, eucalyptus and papaya notes mingle with a stern, overarching grapefruit bitterness. A sturdy caramel maltyness provides ample balance to the Citra hop fest. The mouthfeel is full bodied and very smoothly carbonated. Grapefruit rind lingers for a long while in the finish.

This is a great, moderately hoppy Canadian IPA. Very tasty. Seek this one out if you like hoppy beers.

I'm liking these Citra hops. (631 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +11.1%

The best "American pale ale" Ontario has yet to offer. Magnificent! Well balanced and dangerously drinkable - mango, citrus and hops, hops, hops. Only wish it wasn't quite so potent so additonal pints would be possible...

Congratulations, Flying Monkeys - you have made this "beer geek" proud to be Canadian. (310 characters)

4.02/5  rDev +1%

12oz bottled smuggled from Toronto in my suitcase. Bottled 4/12/12. Served in a Cigar City snifter.

Pours cloudy orange with about one finger off white head. Nice amount of lacing left behind.

Smells of orange, pineapple, spice, biscuit and a hint of feline urine.

Nice mix of tropical citrus hops. The orange and pineapple from the nose is present along with biscuit, caramel and pepper.

Medium feel with moderate carbonation. Slightly slick with no noticeable alcohol. Nice dry bitter hoppy aftertaste.

A good solid IPA from this Canadian brewery. The couple beers I've tried of theirs has me wanting more. Definately worth a try.  (649 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

This was probably the very beer that got me hooked on true craft brews, a few years back when I snagged a six-pack from Silver Springs Liquor Store here in Cowtown. It also got me hooked on hops. I am happy to return to it for the formal review treatment. This one is a light bronze or perhaps dark orange amber brew with three or four inches of beige head. The aroma is classic Citra hops as promised on the label, redolent with melon, passion fruit, guava, and grapefruit rind, along with an ill-defined but pleasing peppery spice. Not much malt on the nose but the hops are glorious. Taste is also that of an aggressive but flavorful hop bomb, with gooseberry, melon rind, grapefruit peel, black pepper, tomato leaf, lemon, and apricot all vying for your attention. This brew also features some of the most venomous and truculent pine/spruce flavor I've had in a Canadian IPA, with these resins just building and building like a jacked-up menthol cough drop as you make your way through a bottle or two. I would not say this flavor is coarse or nasty, though ... It IS forceful and ought to satisfy the biggest hopheads. The malts are more prominent on the palate than on the nose, providing some toasted caramel and even a little light molasses to balance out the citrus rind and pine onslaught. Body is semi-chewy and right where it needs to be for the style, goes down quite smooth albeit bone-dry. I may be biased (see opening statement of this review) but this is a personal favorite IPA. The hops are resinous and gamey, tropical and catty, and when I crave this sort of thing this brew is one of my standbys. (1,618 characters)

3.7/5  rDev -7%

Undated bottle consumed Nov. 19, 2011 at Inaugural Bottle Share. From notes. Thanks cenquist!

A: Copper and clear with a small head. Light lacing.
S: Grapefruit, caramel, some booze.
T: Some sweet malt with light fruit notes and a distinct bitterness, that is almost harsh.
M: Bitter and dry
O: An IPA, but it is really missing the hop flavours I have come to expect from a great IPA. As time passes and it warms it begins to become hot and boozy... (450 characters)

3.98/5  rDev 0%

Excellent label. 12oz bottle dated 11/18/13 poured into a pint glass
A: Orange/light brown color with a lingering one-finger head
S: Pleasant but muted malt/caramel/hops
T: Very malty- toffee, caramel, wheat, but with strong hops to support the malt. Tropical fruit, grapefruit and just a hint of pine are all there. Complex flavors
M: Medium to full-bodied with a medium-length finish
O: Tasty, definitely worth a try (418 characters)

3.87/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

$ 2.49/12 oz bottle at Vintage Estates, Boardman, OH
Undated bottle at 45 degrees into nonic
Aroma of pine
Head large (6 cm, aggressive pour), off white, creamy, slowly diminishing to 4 mm lyer with raised center
Lacing good – torn curtains of tiny to small bubbles
Body light orange, clear
Flavor begins bitter with no distinct flavor, short duration; no malt, no alcohol, no diacetyl
Palate medium, slightly oily, lively carbonation

Appearance 4.5, Aroma 4, Flavor 3.75, Palate 4, Overall 4 (495 characters)

4.28/5  rDev +7.5%

Appearance - Pours a coppery orange with a finger width of cream-coloured foamy head.

Smell - Piney hops, citrus, tropical fruit, lemon zest.

Taste - Strong hoppy bitterness with a little malty breadiness and caramel notes. Citrus and tropical fruits also present. Strong bitter aftertaste.

Mouthfeel - Medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Nice creaminess and fluffiness as well.

Overall - An enjoyable American IPA from Flying Monkeys. My first try at these guys and I'm impressed by the quality of their brew. Nice strong hops presence and excellent mouthfeel. Nice appearance with good head retention. Try to get your hands on this, hopheads. (653 characters)

3.89/5  rDev -2.3%

Flying Monkeys 'Smashbomb Atomic IPA' @ 6.0% , served from a single 355 ml bottle purchased for $2.25
A-pour is a light gold from the bottle to a slightly hazy amber in the glass with a medium size off-white head leaving a spotty lace along the pint
S-citrus & pine , nice blend of hops
T-good tasting IPA at the start , no finish
MF-lots of carbonation , medium body
Ov-ok beer , possibly good (sampled along side Driftwood-Fat Tug)
prost LampertLand (451 characters)

Flying Monkeys Smashbomb Atomic IPA from Flying Monkeys Craft Brewery