Flying Monkeys Smashbomb Atomic IPA - Flying Monkeys Craft Brewery

Flying Monkeys Smashbomb Atomic IPAFlying Monkeys Smashbomb Atomic IPA

Flying Monkeys Craft Brewery visit their website
Ontario, Canada

(Beer added by: Sammy on 05-31-2010)
4.33/5  rDev +9.9%

Just 6% abv? Drinks like a much bigger beer. Great beer name, and the ale does not fail to deliver the promised hop detonation. Nice, substantial malt base to support the hops. Hops are a touch raw and resinous, with green herbal notes. Leans toward sweet at the finish. Overall nicely done.

4.1/5  rDev +4.1%

A - Pours a clear dark copper colour, finger of off-white head with decent retention and some sporadic sticky lacing.

S - Sweet citrus hops, touch of pine and grapefruit with some breaded caramel coming through on the finish.

T - The hops dominate with the grapefruit and citrus coming through nicely, the bitterness lingers but has enough sweetness to it balance it out. THe breaded caramel also lingers on the palette.

M - Medium bodied, smooth and a touch of dryness, just the way it should be.

O - A solid IPA from an Ontario brewery. Now if only the availability of this offering wasn't so scarce in my city. I could drink this stuff all day.

4.13/5  rDev +4.8%

4.38/5  rDev +11.2%

This has been a big want for a while now. Thanks to liamt07 for including this in my CANBIF box!

Appearance. Pours a lightly hazy, rich amber-gold with a finger of off-white head.

Smell. Big caramel malts, piney and citrusy hops. Getting a little bit of spice too, like cinnamon or nutmeg... Probably just me.

Taste. Nice big juicy citrus hops, some toasted grains, but not the big sweet caramel I was smelling. Not extremely bitter, but just enough.

Mouthfeel. Medium body, medium carbonation.

Overall. Really nice ipa with good balance going on, for the style anyways. Really enjoying this and wish we could get it in BC!

3.75/5  rDev -4.8%

4.03/5  rDev +2.3%

I have no shame in admitting that up to this point I've admired the hype from Flying Monkeys, and I love their chutzpah, but I feel they are let to deliver on their word. Smash Bomb had also been hyped up, and while its not a stellar IPA, its a damn good one and worthy of attention. I usually dislike their stuff, so I hope this is worth something...

Pours a radiant orange with a light off white head that left sheets of lace. Great appearance. Bright citrus aroma with lots of grapefruit, mango, weed, grass, pine and cereal. Decent bitterness in the flavour, which is bracing and somewhat radical for Ontario (but not North America). Good citrus flavours with grapefruit and tangerine. Weed and pine come through with some good complexity. Malt is present underneath with a cream of cereal flavour, though the focus is hop-forward. Interesting and well done. Body is a toouch creamy and nicely finished.

Hmmph. Prove me wrong will ya! A really well-crafted offering and an IPA in every sense of the word. This isn't a top tier IPA, but is definitely at the top of the middle-tier and I really enjoyed it. I hope they stick to their guns on this one and don't water it down, because right now its tasting damn good!

3.78/5  rDev -4.1%

Beer is reddish amber in colour. My pint had basically no head whatsoever, just a bit of white froth around the side.

The smell is pleasant but faint- a light scent of hops, slightly floral. Rather nice, but I had really had to search for it.

As for the taste, it is quite bitter. A grapefruity citrus is strongly present, and there is a slight soapy taste to the beer (which sounds awful, but really is not bad). Finish is all bitterness. Not particularly complex, but pretty good.

As for mouthfeel, it is incredibly carbonated, to the point where it is irritating to the mouth and makes it difficult to enjoy the beer. I found it got better as time went by, and started to become a little less intense in the mouth, which was a great improvement. Body is otherwise light bodied, and is quite refreshing.

Overall, a pretty good but not great beer. Frankly, I think it is a little overrated, but is certainly a good American IPA for Ontario.

4.2/5  rDev +6.6%

Had a full pint of this after the Spring Festival of Craft Beers at C'est What.

Poured a cloudy orange with small white head. Lots of grapefruit in the nose. Taste has tons of grapefruit and hoppy bitterness. Quite delicious stuff. It was a little thin in the body, which I'm hoping will improve when I try this in bottle/tap. I'm excited that this beer is going to start coming into the Ontario market because we need a west coast style IPA.

Update after having it on cask at Volo during Toronto beer week Sept '10:
Better hoppy aroma with some pine and the carbonation was much nicer. A finger of head with nice lacing. Upped the review from B+ to A-.

3.3/5  rDev -16.2%

Got a bunch of these from Korguy123 this past summer. Thanks for going to all the trouble to hook me up with these brews. Flying Monkeys is one of my favorite Ontario breweries, so I was much looking forward to this one!

From a bottle into a snifter.

APPEARANCE: One finger, medium looking, off white head with good retention. Burnt orange in color with next to zero carbonation. Head slowly fades to a good wisp and sticks to the sides of the glass. A splotchy wisp and ring remain leaving dots of lacing. Darker than the standard IPA, but we can expect that from these guys. Good looking brew.

SMELL: Pale malts, caramel, and lots of floral hops. Some citrus notes as well, with orange peel, lemon, and pineapple in there. Very floral and fruity, though only medium in strength.

TASTE: Pale malts, biscuit, and some sweet caramel malt. Sweet pineapple and lots of floral hops flavors. This one is 100% citra hop, so there is some soapy qualities in there as well. Not a fan of that. Some citrus orange and lemon peels, but the floral hop and, unfortunately, soap notes get in their way. Bold and lingering aftertaste is soapy, with some nice floral bitterness and sweet caramel balancing each other well. Not my favorite hop, but there are some good things going on here.

PALATE: Medium body and medium carbonation. Lighter on the palate and only semi-creamy, but goes down nicely smooth and finishes slightly dry on the palate. Ok here.

OVERALL: I really like these guys and appreciate what they’re doing for the Ontario craft beer scene. They belong to a very small number of breweries I actually get excited about when I go home. I like what they’re trying to do with this one, but the citra hop is not my first choice, as I always tend to get some soapy flavors out of it. Since this one is 100% citra, those soapy flavors were a little too present for me to really enjoy this. That said, I shared the other bottles with my two cousins and they finished them off quickly and asked for more! This is a hit in Ontario for a reason, as it is definitely quality, but I would take a Hoptical Illusion nine times out of ten I think. Thanks a lot for the trade Korguy123, and a big cheers for bringing so many of these bottles along!

4.25/5  rDev +7.9%

3.78/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

355ml bottle
Served in a snifter

A - I'll call this beer amber with some golden highlights. It is topped with an inch of off-white head that leaves some lacing down the sides.

S - The smell is citrus and pine. I get a little peach too.

T - The taste starts out with citrus. The finish and aftertaste are bitter pine.

M - Medium

O - It is better than I remember. I had a draft that I wasn't impressed with and have passed this beer over. A couple bottles as a gift made me realize this is a decent IPA. I'll still stick with my Ohio and Michigan IPA's over this as regulars though.

4.5/5  rDev +14.2%

4.08/5  rDev +3.6%

Poured a nice pale straw colour, slightly cloudy nice white head that lasted forever. Smells of fruity bitter hops absolutely mouthwatering cant wait to try this. Nice bitter hoppy taste quite dry but oh so tasty. good weight in the mouth nice body to back up the bitter hops. Great drinking IPA. Really good all around would definitely order this again.

3.84/5  rDev -2.5%

4.18/5  rDev +6.1%

On-tap pint at C'est What in Toronto.
Clear amber copper color, with a full white head. Foam fades slowly, but never really disappears, leaving nice looking lacing.
Smell is full of hops (as expected), floral hops with lots of citrus. Taste matches the aroma, it has a nice hoppy flavor and bitterness. Citrus, grapefruit and some piney notes. There is some malts, but not enought to balance the bitterness.
Mouthfeel has a medium carbonation and body.
It is a very smooth and drinkable beer. Lots of hops, but not as over-the-top burn as some IPAs. It's a winner.

4.03/5  rDev +2.3%

A - a hazy deep copper, tall off white head that retained extremely well leaving big gobs of lacing all over
S - strong hints of citrus rind, toffee, pineapple, mild spice
T - similar to the nose with the citrus more toned down, also an earthy hop note
M - medium body with a lowish carbonation, an easy drinking smooth finish with a very light bitter
O - a very tasty IPA from a Canadian brewer that am I gaining more respect for with each brew, big props to andrenaline for including this in our latest cross country swap

3.75/5  rDev -4.8%