Mythos Hellenic Lager Beer - Mythos Breweries S.A.

Mythos Hellenic Lager BeerMythos Hellenic Lager Beer

poor

poor

Mythos Breweries S.A. visit their website
Greece

Euro Pale Lager |  4.70% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 03-31-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Mythos Hellenic Lager Beer Alström Bros

Sweet and fizzy, little bitterness, bugger me, not good, skunky cat pee. Painful to drink. But a new country for me. I really can't right too much more about it, other than it was awful, very thin, and painful to drink, and its making this character rule pretty darn hard to pass, not good. (290 characters)

1.12/5  rDev -58.5%

Got this bottle from a co worker who was ranting and raving about this beer...we definitely have different tastes in beer, and this is just a nasty brew. Very generic, watery taste..taste like an over produced beer not ranking much higher than a domestic in my book. Never again. (279 characters)

1.28/5  rDev -52.6%

11/23/04- Purchased at Weimax Wine and Liquors in Burlingame, CA

Appearance- Beautiful think frothy wine head. Nice golden color and decent lacing.

Smell- Possibly the worst beer I have ever smelled. I don't think I have ever had a skunked beer as bad as this one. And from reading other reviews, it seems that thins may be it's normal smell and taste. Smells like a skunk died in my kitchen.

Taste- I don't even know why I tasted this. I guess I had to if I wanted to review it. Horrid and udder skunkiness. Tastes like sweet urine and vomit. I guess buried under the stench and bile there is some malt there, but I'm not going to take another sip to find out.

Mouthfeel- The carbonation is fine, but swallowing it is a problem.

Drinkability- I really hope this was just a super bad bottle. This is damn bad. It even leaves a putrid aftertaste. Already have downed two pints of water in the past 15 minutes trying to get it out of my mouth and nasal cavity. (973 characters)

1.45/5  rDev -46.3%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.5

This beer was not impressive at all. I had it at a Greek restaurant in Decatur, GA along with lamb. At least the lamb was good. The color is a clear straw yellow with very little carbonation and a very thin head. The smell is very light but sharp and bitter. The taste is also thin with very little flavor and sulfurous overtones. The mouth feel follows the taste – very thin. (377 characters)

1.47/5  rDev -45.6%

There is a reason why for many years I thought I did not like beer; this has the worst qualities of every bad American beer I had tried in my youth.

Its only plus is a red-gold color from an attractively labeled bottle with a unicorn logo. The head is a clear white that sticks around and leaves a bit of lacing. It has a unicorn on it: how bad could it be?

The smell can only be described as somewhere between faint skunk and rotting vegetation.

The taste is initially non-descript with a strange creaminess. A bitter, grassy hops creeps in at the end and sticks on the tongue. The overall impression is something mostly tasteless that becomes increasingly unpleasant.

It has a medium mouthfeel which could be pleasant with only the slightest amount of positive flavor attribute.

It could be drinkable if not for the fact as the beer warms, the aroma comes through in every sip and at least to me was completely unpalatable.

In reinforcing opinions from 3 others I proceeded to dump the remainder of the bottle. (1,020 characters)

1.5/5  rDev -44.4%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Bottle: Poured a light yellow color lager with a nice foamy white head with better retention then expected. Aroma of skunk is not very surprising considering the green bottle and the distance it traveled. Very little hops are present in this beer with some limited sweet malt. Body is thin with a very watery mouthfeel. (319 characters)

1.6/5  rDev -40.7%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

A friend brought this back from Greece. I figured..Greek beer...well, if this is Greek beer, I know why the Greeks are not known for beer. It is, perhaps, okay for a very hot summer day when the choice is water or this - not much of a difference. It poured a very light straw-like yellow. Not much of a head, and even that disippated quickly. There is no real flavor to it. It doesn't have any offensive taste, but then neither does water. In fact, it tastes like water, with some attempt at beer. (497 characters)

1.6/5  rDev -40.7%

My boss is Greek, and just returned home from Greece. I asked her to bring me back some Greek beer, and this is what she brought. She said back in Greece they drink a lot of German beer but Mythos is a fairly popular beer of Greek origin. Also, please keep in mind this is my very first review.

Upon popping the tab on this can and pouring it into a pint glass the color is a clear light yellow color. I would say the carbonation is moderate. It had a very bubbly fake looking white head that had very little retention. It has a very clean and clear looking appearance with few carbonation bubbles. I guess typical of this style.

When I bring the glass to my nose I find myself bored immediately. I get a slight hint of sweet malt, however it is very subtle. The smell also lacks hops, I am trying hard to pick up on something, I would say grassy if anything. I am disappointed in the aroma.

Upon taking the initial few sips I find this beer very dull and bland. Again, sweet malty flavor but very weak. Hardly any hop bitterness or hop flavor of sorts. There is absolutely no complexity to this brew.

Mythos feels very wet and watered down. I would say very light body if you can even call it body. Again I would say moderate carbonation. But now that I have had it in a glass for a few minutes now I know it is going flat rather quickly.

As far as drinkability goes, it goes down easy. I would not recommend this to an Aficionado, but those who have yet to discover better beer may find this refreshing and enjoyable. I would not go out of my way to try this beer again. I have tried very hard not to let my love of hops and malt interfere with this review. But I enjoy and respect complexity and this beer had none. I would say a very average or below average for its style. (1,784 characters)

1.6/5  rDev -40.7%

A - Clear pale amber body with a thin bubbly white head. No lacing.

S - Corn and salty crackers. Metal.

T - Plain Doritos mixed with a repulsive coin flavour. Foul aftertaste.

M - Thin body, high carbonation. Crisp bite.

O - Absolutely terrible. I couldn't finish it. Never again. (284 characters)

1.61/5  rDev -40.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

I am starting to wonder if the myth is that there are really any good Greek beers out there. Clear golden color with a short-lived thin white head and hardly any lacing. The aroma is somewhat skunky with a light hoppiness underneath. Light-bodied and carbonated with a sour hops flavor along with some sour malt for balance. The finish was equally unpleasant. I can only assume this was a bad bottle but it was highly undrinkable. (430 characters)

1.65/5  rDev -38.9%

Pours up clear straw/pale gold in colour. Hardly any head at all and what there is settles quickly into a thin film. Skunky, hoppy but not offensive.

No really distinguising flavours. Some hop bitterness, but really not too far off being a glass of water. Does not linger in the mouth. As the beer warms up you get some corny sweetness.

Quite anonymous. (359 characters)

1.75/5  rDev -35.2%

Pale yellow, clear and totally ordinary in appearance. Soupy head swims with murky marks, poor laces or head retention. Lightly grassy aroma, verging on eggy and sulfurous. Slightly overcarbonated, very thin mouthfeel. Little going on in the flavor, some elements similar to the aroma, and emphasized by the catty aroma. Too gassy at the finish to even call this one particularly drinkable. Unfortunately, this is sold in six packs, maybe the rest will have some novelty appeal at parties, but I always feel a little bad bringing these kind of brews. (550 characters)

1.76/5  rDev -34.8%

Tried this at a Greek festival a few weeks ago.. was not impressed. I was expecting Greece's version of Budwiser, but I think it tasted worse! I haven't tried any other "Munich Helles Lagers" to compare it to though, so I guess I can't say for sure.

Smell was mostly grass, and I could tell before taking as sip that it was skunky. The taste was, sure enough.. skunked! Very watery too, with a touch of hops and straw. Maybe I'd enjoy this in Santorini, but only because I'd be on the beach enjoying a fantastic view. (520 characters)

1.78/5  rDev -34.1%

Pours a clear golden color with two fingers of white head.

This could be the most skunked beer I've had the privilege of trying; it hits you like a punch in the face as soon as you crack open the bottle. The skunk aroma is all I'm getting.

Bready and grain notes with an almost butterscotch note.

Very slick with lower than anticipated carbonation and a medium body.

Interesting body on this beer, but not in a good way. I wouldn't go near this one again. (459 characters)

1.78/5  rDev -34.1%

Pours pale straw in color, very transparent, with a healthy white head. Vigorous carbonation can be observed frolicking throughout. Aroma smells of cheap beer and some skunk. Flavor is so mild that it's difficult to discern what's there. There's probably some variety of grain, a little alcohol, and maybe some hops. The tongue experiences the carbonation more than anything. One of the lightest beers I've ever tasted, and that's saying something living in a country that's filled to the brim with light beers. This is a rare case where simply trying a single bottle feels like a complete waste of time, though I'd be lying if I said I didn't consider this might be the case when I bought it. I guess there's a reason Greece isn't known for its beer. (751 characters)

1.82/5  rDev -32.6%

This is a spritzy and slightly sweet beer. The aroma is all raw grain. The look is clear, pale yellow color with a modest start to the head, but it dies to a single bubble layer and leaves no lace.

Definitely overcarbonated. It reminds me of the beer from Utica Club or Genesee--just another national macro, this time from Greece. (331 characters)

1.82/5  rDev -32.6%

I think that the long trip from Greece to Williamsburg, VA didn't treat this beer too kindly. A strong skunk smell rushed out of the bottle as soon as I opened it. Pours and looks like the standard Heine-clone. Taste was rather flat. I think that this was skunked, but I'm not going to try it again unless I'm in Greece. A 7,000 mile trip in a green bottle, coupled with a long wait on the shelf before purchase, will almost always end in a skunked beer. (454 characters)

1.83/5  rDev -32.2%

Skunky euro lager. Pours a very pale yellow, with a two finger head that disipates to nothing. The top has a rim of lace, beneath is nothing. Has that distinctive skunk smell. Bit floral and lemony as well. Taste starts out really bad. Like licking a skunk's genitals. Has an aftertaste of lemon. Thin, watery mouthfeel. Not something I'll buy again. (350 characters)

1.86/5  rDev -31.1%

Pours pale straw yellow with medium white head. Lots of carbonation and a touch of spotty lacing. Some sediment is suspended in the beer.

Aromas of bready malts and corn. A small amount of hops as well with a touch of floral and citrus notes. Taste is mostly more of the same: mostly malt and even less noticeable hops.

A light body and only a bit crisp on the tongue. Overall I wasn't really impressed by anything about this beer. The taste fell flat for the most part and it wasn't as crisp as I would have liked. I think some American counterparts would have been more refreshing and satisfying than this. (610 characters)

1.92/5  rDev -28.9%

Appearance> Clear golden yellow. Lively. Big foamy head that dissipates slowly. Looks mighty fine thus far...

Smell> But wait! Is that notes of metallic amongst the grain?

Taste> Way too bitter and metallic. Lacks any and all complexity and leaves you with a fierce aluminium hang.

Mouf> Seltzery, meh.

Drinkability> Won't have again. (353 characters)

1.94/5  rDev -28.1%

Had a bottle at a local Greek restaurant with dinner. Not as distinctive as other Greek beers I’ve had. It tastes like most other mass-produced European lagers; if you had hidden the bottle and told me it was a Bitburger or Amstel, I probably would have believed it. (267 characters)

1.97/5  rDev -27%

Presentation: 330ml green bottle, 5.0% ABV

Appearance: Pale golden color. No head, but some carbonation.

Smell: Skunky with a smell of bread. I am really not impressed.

Taste: If you smell it, you don't have to taste it, because you already know what it would taste.

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel is what I liked the most on this beer.

Drinkability: Mythos is of the worst beer I ever had. I think the greek gods are against us. (438 characters)

When I saw this beer on the shelf I had to try it because I have not tasted a Greek beer yet. When I opened it the first thing that I noticed was the smell, it was not appealling at all. The taste was equally unimpressive. I understand that the 'skunkiness' is a part of the taste but it is a little too much for me. If in Greece I may give it another chance, but until then I will try many others.
Thx. (404 characters)

330ml bottle
5% ABV
I tried this beer on August 31, 2007 at Smokeless Joe's in Toronto. The beer poured a translucent gold colour with almost no head but a lot of effervescence. The aroma had hints of malt and wheat. The mouthfeel was medium-bodied with a high level of carbonation. The flavour was grassy with a hint of hops on the back of the tongue. This was a pretty forgettable beer, but knocked Greece off of my country list. (431 characters)

2.01/5  rDev -25.6%

I am drinking this from a green bottle poured into a lager glass in April 2015. The bottle has a 10-2015 best by date which is hillariously optimistic.
L: Brilliant straw with a 2” lacy white foam cap.
S: There is a slight skunk, most of which I am able to swirl out. Light malts and a light sweetness with some corn lie behind the skunk.
T: The beer is grainy, a little sweet with an undercurrent of something harsh and chemically. The aftertaste is minerally with a sharp, unpleasant aftertaste.
F: Light bodied with above average carbonation.
O: There is very little good I can think of to say about this beer. (621 characters)

Mythos Hellenic Lager Beer from Mythos Breweries S.A.