Mythos Hellenic Lager Beer - Mythos Breweries S.A.

Mythos Hellenic Lager BeerMythos Hellenic Lager Beer

poor

poor

Mythos Breweries S.A. visit their website
Greece

Euro Pale Lager |  4.70% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 03-31-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Mythos Hellenic Lager Beer Alström Bros

Sweet and fizzy, little bitterness, bugger me, not good, skunky cat pee. Painful to drink. But a new country for me. I really can't right too much more about it, other than it was awful, very thin, and painful to drink, and its making this character rule pretty darn hard to pass, not good.

rastaman, May 13, 2003

pin, Aug 03, 2012

gnikola, Jan 18, 2013

thsSAMO, Mar 04, 2014

tom10101, Aug 19, 2014
1.12/5  rDev -58.2%

Got this bottle from a co worker who was ranting and raving about this beer...we definitely have different tastes in beer, and this is just a nasty brew. Very generic, watery taste..taste like an over produced beer not ranking much higher than a domestic in my book. Never again.

gangstafaceclay, Apr 09, 2014
1.25/5  rDev -53.4%

jneiswender, Apr 09, 2013
1.25/5  rDev -53.4%

11/23/04- Purchased at Weimax Wine and Liquors in Burlingame, CA

Appearance- Beautiful think frothy wine head. Nice golden color and decent lacing.

Smell- Possibly the worst beer I have ever smelled. I don't think I have ever had a skunked beer as bad as this one. And from reading other reviews, it seems that thins may be it's normal smell and taste. Smells like a skunk died in my kitchen.

Taste- I don't even know why I tasted this. I guess I had to if I wanted to review it. Horrid and udder skunkiness. Tastes like sweet urine and vomit. I guess buried under the stench and bile there is some malt there, but I'm not going to take another sip to find out.

Mouthfeel- The carbonation is fine, but swallowing it is a problem.

Drinkability- I really hope this was just a super bad bottle. This is damn bad. It even leaves a putrid aftertaste. Already have downed two pints of water in the past 15 minutes trying to get it out of my mouth and nasal cavity.

GClarkage, Nov 24, 2004
1.45/5  rDev -45.9%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.5

This beer was not impressive at all. I had it at a Greek restaurant in Decatur, GA along with lamb. At least the lamb was good. The color is a clear straw yellow with very little carbonation and a very thin head. The smell is very light but sharp and bitter. The taste is also thin with very little flavor and sulfurous overtones. The mouth feel follows the taste – very thin.

TheEclecticGent, Jan 04, 2006
1.48/5  rDev -44.8%

There is a reason why for many years I thought I did not like beer; this has the worst qualities of every bad American beer I had tried in my youth.

Its only plus is a red-gold color from an attractively labeled bottle with a unicorn logo. The head is a clear white that sticks around and leaves a bit of lacing. It has a unicorn on it: how bad could it be?

The smell can only be described as somewhere between faint skunk and rotting vegetation.

The taste is initially non-descript with a strange creaminess. A bitter, grassy hops creeps in at the end and sticks on the tongue. The overall impression is something mostly tasteless that becomes increasingly unpleasant.

It has a medium mouthfeel which could be pleasant with only the slightest amount of positive flavor attribute.

It could be drinkable if not for the fact as the beer warms, the aroma comes through in every sip and at least to me was completely unpalatable.

In reinforcing opinions from 3 others I proceeded to dump the remainder of the bottle.

Minotaur, Jan 02, 2010

NoetheMatt, Jun 05, 2013

stpjames, Jul 24, 2013

Jclemens6, Jul 04, 2014
1.5/5  rDev -44%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Bottle: Poured a light yellow color lager with a nice foamy white head with better retention then expected. Aroma of skunk is not very surprising considering the green bottle and the distance it traveled. Very little hops are present in this beer with some limited sweet malt. Body is thin with a very watery mouthfeel.

Phyl21ca, Mar 03, 2006

StephenGash, Aug 05, 2014

BMMillsy, Feb 15, 2012

XmnwildX12, Jul 20, 2014
1.55/5  rDev -42.2%

A - Clear pale amber body with a thin bubbly white head. No lacing.

S - Corn and salty crackers. Metal.

T - Plain Doritos mixed with a repulsive coin flavour. Foul aftertaste.

M - Thin body, high carbonation. Crisp bite.

O - Absolutely terrible. I couldn't finish it. Never again.

dansmcd, Nov 12, 2011
1.58/5  rDev -41%

My boss is Greek, and just returned home from Greece. I asked her to bring me back some Greek beer, and this is what she brought. She said back in Greece they drink a lot of German beer but Mythos is a fairly popular beer of Greek origin. Also, please keep in mind this is my very first review.

Upon popping the tab on this can and pouring it into a pint glass the color is a clear light yellow color. I would say the carbonation is moderate. It had a very bubbly fake looking white head that had very little retention. It has a very clean and clear looking appearance with few carbonation bubbles. I guess typical of this style.

When I bring the glass to my nose I find myself bored immediately. I get a slight hint of sweet malt, however it is very subtle. The smell also lacks hops, I am trying hard to pick up on something, I would say grassy if anything. I am disappointed in the aroma.

Upon taking the initial few sips I find this beer very dull and bland. Again, sweet malty flavor but very weak. Hardly any hop bitterness or hop flavor of sorts. There is absolutely no complexity to this brew.

Mythos feels very wet and watered down. I would say very light body if you can even call it body. Again I would say moderate carbonation. But now that I have had it in a glass for a few minutes now I know it is going flat rather quickly.

As far as drinkability goes, it goes down easy. I would not recommend this to an Aficionado, but those who have yet to discover better beer may find this refreshing and enjoyable. I would not go out of my way to try this beer again. I have tried very hard not to let my love of hops and malt interfere with this review. But I enjoy and respect complexity and this beer had none. I would say a very average or below average for its style.

HomeBrewJunkie, Nov 09, 2007
1.6/5  rDev -40.3%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

A friend brought this back from Greece. I figured..Greek beer...well, if this is Greek beer, I know why the Greeks are not known for beer. It is, perhaps, okay for a very hot summer day when the choice is water or this - not much of a difference. It poured a very light straw-like yellow. Not much of a head, and even that disippated quickly. There is no real flavor to it. It doesn't have any offensive taste, but then neither does water. In fact, it tastes like water, with some attempt at beer.

jwc215, Mar 29, 2006
Mythos Hellenic Lager Beer from Mythos Breweries S.A.