Mythos Hellenic Lager Beer - Mythos Breweries S.A.

Mythos Hellenic Lager BeerMythos Hellenic Lager Beer

poor

poor

Mythos Breweries S.A. visit their website
Greece

Euro Pale Lager |  4.70% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 03-31-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Mythos Hellenic Lager Beer Alström Bros
markwise

2.05/5  rDev -23.2%

Green bottle from Greek restaurant in Orlando.

Lager with corn, rice, and slight berry aroma. Taste is watery with lots of corn, rice, and some noticeable hops.

Finishes with lots of water and corn. So much corn that it is sweet, but it is totally out of character.

Not much that impresses or strikes me as remarkable.

01-18-2009 02:51:57 | More by markwise
steeler

3.7/5  rDev +38.6%

A new bottle i saw at the LCBO. Onto the review, pours out a nice light yellow color, with little laceing. Looks like a nice light lager. Smell was pretty good, nice floral hop aroma and a bit of skunk in the background. This tasted great! Goes down nice and smooth, with little hop bite, its just like velvet. Sometimes i just enjoy a light flavorful lager. Mouthfell is nice and full, perfect carbonation, like velvet. Drinkability is great, i have slammed mythos all night, and it was great. Great cheap beer!

12-21-2008 19:27:49 | More by steeler
Macca

Australia

3.15/5  rDev +18%

This pours a pale golden colour with very little head which disappears quick smart. Not a good looking beer.

Pleasant enough light malt aroma. Bready. Some funkiness. Quite like that.

Graininess continues on the palate. A bit sweet. Not unpleasant. No length though.

Ok mouthfeel.

Not as bad as I was expecting. I dare say it would taste a whole lot better if I was sitting in the sun with the Aegean in front of me.

12-05-2008 09:38:16 | More by Macca
Drew966

2.7/5  rDev +1.1%

Mythos Hellenic Lager Beer pours a golden yellow color with a white head from an 11.2 ounce green bottle. The aroma is grainy and skunky. The flavor is grainy and there seems to be a touch of lemon like flavor. Not as bad as I feared, but not especially good.

11-12-2008 00:36:41 | More by Drew966
dbek

Greece

2.3/5  rDev -13.9%

This is a typical mass produced lager beer intended to be consumed as a refreshment rather than beer. Pours a clear yellow color and has a very weak smell. The taste is very common and also weak with some metalic aftertaste. Too light to the mouth, over-dosed with CO2 to hide its mediochrity. I might drink a couple of these if I had nothing else to drink but that's it...

10-20-2008 13:48:41 | More by dbek
gford217

Georgia

2.45/5  rDev -8.2%

33cl can purchased in Elounda, Crete.

Pours a pale straw with a very bubbly white head that receded fairly quickly and left decent lacing. The aroma is pretty tame with some corn and light sweet malts. The taste is on the sweeter side of things as lagers go with a solid malt backbone with some typical lager grains as well. The mouthfeel is bubbly with a slightly unpleasant bitterness in the finish. This is pretty drinkable, especially while sitting on the beach in Crete, but I would put this on my recommended list.

10-05-2008 00:39:24 | More by gford217
Voonder

Alberta (Canada)

2.88/5  rDev +7.9%

Pours clear light yellow with little white head. Smell - malty, sweet, grassy. Taste the same, a little too sweet. Lack of carbonation, feels too flat. It's drinkable I guess, but there is nothing special. I would have this on ocasion, but really, you can find much better lagers out there.

09-28-2008 22:50:12 | More by Voonder
BlackHaddock

United Kingdom (England)

2.63/5  rDev -1.5%

Drank far too much of this stuff while on Crete resently, both bottled and on tap. The choice was normally this or Amstel, so I would choose this because at least it is Greek. This is a review however of a can I drank in the quiet of my hotel room away from the crowds and noise outside.

Looks like your typical Med lager, pale golden, clear and bright, a small white clean looking head sat on top.

Very little aroma, some sweetness about, but otherwise nothing, just like most lagers.

One of the sweetest lagers I've ever tasted, fine if you want a sweet drink and the sun is boiling onto your head. Not so sure it would work on a cold frosty night in England. Not a lot of taste otherwise, just a sweetness.

Very little to add on the mouthfeel and drinkability of this beer. Watery and boring really.

Update: Oct 2011, holiday on Zante: again hads this beer in three forms (can, bottle, on-tap), refreshing but still boring!

09-28-2008 14:46:15 | More by BlackHaddock
bboven

2.58/5  rDev -3.4%

This ia very sweet beer, almost to the point of being under-attenuated. Really not much to offer here unless you have a sweet tooth and also like beer.

It looks and feels like a macro-lager, but the taste is really, really sweet.

I do not recommend.

09-20-2008 22:31:25 | More by bboven
daliandragon

2.88/5  rDev +7.9%

My mom returned from my parents' Greek vacation two years ago with this uncommon craving for Mythos. I saw it randomly this week at the local distributor and figured a sample was in order. The color is a pale straw with a thin but yielding head. Lots of visible carbonation. Nose is fresh with a little malt and yeast but nothing else.

This one features a reasonable crystal malt backbone with a decent hop laden finish. This somehow tastes a little more authentic than most generic macro lagers. Too much carbonation to really allow the drinker to appreciate the flavor fully. This is not a bad brew but definitely not something you need to look out for. Natch.

08-04-2008 05:34:20 | More by daliandragon
baos

Indiana

2.78/5  rDev +4.1%

12 oz bottle into glass.

A: Golden in color with 2 finger head.

S: Light malts and a touch of hops and grains. Not much there maybe a bit like Heineken. Heineken is the chicken of beers.

T: A bit like Heineken again I think its the skunky kind-buddy hops aroma and taste.

M: Not much there, but more than a lot of lagers.

D: This beer went well with my μελιτζανοσαλάτα appetizer. If it was as good as the Greek Myths I'd call it nectar and drink nothing but. Its not so hot though, however it does quench the thirst.

adio

04-18-2008 00:28:37 | More by baos
zeff80

Missouri

2.63/5  rDev -1.5%

A - Poured out a golden yellow color with a small, white, fizzy head. No lacing.

S - It smelled of corn anf grains. Kind of an odd aroma that I couldn't place. It wasn't skunky just unusual.

T - Fairly bland. Corn and grains. No real hop character. Somewhat sweet and a hint of bitterness.

M - It was crisp and sharp. A light bodied beer with a good deal of carbonation.

D - Fairly typical for a European lager. By no means the worst, but certainly not worth buying a case.

04-02-2008 02:59:34 | More by zeff80
btmo

New Zealand (Aotearoa)

3.3/5  rDev +23.6%

I was in Greece in November 2007, and as is my habit, drank the local beer everywhere I go.

I found Mythos to be an amusing if unassuming little beer.

It was very much a typical macro style lager, but when you drink it in the Plaka just below the Acropolis, or at the Archeology museum cafe, it is pretty darn nice!

Worth a try....

... if you are in Athens.

01-28-2008 05:44:50 | More by btmo
watchnerd

1.95/5  rDev -27%

Had a bottle at a local Greek restaurant with dinner. Not as distinctive as other Greek beers I’ve had. It tastes like most other mass-produced European lagers; if you had hidden the bottle and told me it was a Bitburger or Amstel, I probably would have believed it.

01-13-2008 23:03:52 | More by watchnerd
rodenbach99

Quebec (Canada)

3.43/5  rDev +28.5%

330ml green bottle, bought at the SAQ

A: Nice blond lager, normal head, S: nice hop nose with a little malt, T: refeshing nice malt taste. D: perfect beer fot hot summer days. I expected a less tasty beer, better than most of canadian blond lager beer. perfectly recommandable.

11-17-2007 20:20:49 | More by rodenbach99
dnichols

Washington

3.23/5  rDev +21%

I was served a 330 ml bottle poured in a frosted mug at a local Greek Restaurant.

A: It poured a bright clear golden body with two finger bone white sticky head made up of tight bubbles. The head lingered deep into the drink and produced extensive lacing.

S: There was a whip of sweet malts and dash of spices but in reality it was difficult to generate much of an aroma from this beer.

T: It provided a nice clean and smooth sweet malt front that did not coast the tongue or over sweeten the palate. This sweetness was immediately complemented by the taste of white pepper and cloves as the hops kicked in. The finish was clean and crisp.

M: Light body with a subtle sweet and spicy flavor that ended clean.

D: This is a smooth and refreshing beer that is easy to drink in multiples.

11-09-2007 20:47:59 | More by dnichols
HomeBrewJunkie

1.58/5  rDev -40.8%

My boss is Greek, and just returned home from Greece. I asked her to bring me back some Greek beer, and this is what she brought. She said back in Greece they drink a lot of German beer but Mythos is a fairly popular beer of Greek origin. Also, please keep in mind this is my very first review.

Upon popping the tab on this can and pouring it into a pint glass the color is a clear light yellow color. I would say the carbonation is moderate. It had a very bubbly fake looking white head that had very little retention. It has a very clean and clear looking appearance with few carbonation bubbles. I guess typical of this style.

When I bring the glass to my nose I find myself bored immediately. I get a slight hint of sweet malt, however it is very subtle. The smell also lacks hops, I am trying hard to pick up on something, I would say grassy if anything. I am disappointed in the aroma.

Upon taking the initial few sips I find this beer very dull and bland. Again, sweet malty flavor but very weak. Hardly any hop bitterness or hop flavor of sorts. There is absolutely no complexity to this brew.

Mythos feels very wet and watered down. I would say very light body if you can even call it body. Again I would say moderate carbonation. But now that I have had it in a glass for a few minutes now I know it is going flat rather quickly.

As far as drinkability goes, it goes down easy. I would not recommend this to an Aficionado, but those who have yet to discover better beer may find this refreshing and enjoyable. I would not go out of my way to try this beer again. I have tried very hard not to let my love of hops and malt interfere with this review. But I enjoy and respect complexity and this beer had none. I would say a very average or below average for its style.

11-09-2007 00:55:48 | More by HomeBrewJunkie
ThatWineGuy

2.73/5  rDev +2.2%

Clear golden, corn syrup hue, finger high white head. Mildly carbonated, very slow. Some lacing sticks around. Smells a bit skunky, damp socks, perhaps malt. Taste is bitter, dry mouthfeel that lingers, comparable to a Stella with a dense body and texture I find in some euro lagers. I can appreciate one of these on a hot day or a steamy night but I wouldn't want to drink too many of them at one sitting. Really not much more I can say about this.

10-02-2007 00:47:37 | More by ThatWineGuy
marcpal

2.7/5  rDev +1.1%

Really one of my only options in the time I spent in the Greek Islands and I surely got tired of it fast. Nothing spectacular.

A - Run of the mill and what you would expect from the type.
S - Not much going on here- Seemed not to dominate any aspect but good aroma for what you want sitting on a hot beach
T - Flavors are again nothing that will blow you away but has the simple carbonation that you would want with extreme thirst. Seemed almost light beer tasting and a bit watery
M - Carbonation was a bit much
D - Suitable for sitting on the beach and looking for simple refreshment and does go down smooth but nothing to write home about

09-22-2007 03:23:59 | More by marcpal
cyrenaica

330ml bottle
5% ABV
I tried this beer on August 31, 2007 at Smokeless Joe's in Toronto. The beer poured a translucent gold colour with almost no head but a lot of effervescence. The aroma had hints of malt and wheat. The mouthfeel was medium-bodied with a high level of carbonation. The flavour was grassy with a hint of hops on the back of the tongue. This was a pretty forgettable beer, but knocked Greece off of my country list.

09-01-2007 13:34:19 | More by cyrenaica
brendan13

Australia

2.73/5  rDev +2.2%

A - Clear golden straw colour with a couple of centimetres of head that falls away quite quickly.
S - Slighty hoppy spices notes and a grain aroma. Not much of either though.
T - Malt grain flavours dominate with some bitterness on the back of the tongue. Gets a bit cloying & sweet if you let it get warm, so don't.
M - Watery, low body mouthfeel with quite a high carbonation.
D - Drinkable beer that would be fine on a hot summer day on a greek island but short of that I won't be revisiting it any time soon.

08-28-2007 11:24:56 | More by brendan13
inbeertruth

2.53/5  rDev -5.2%

Had this with my wife on my way back to Mykonos, Greece, on a ferry after sweating underneath the hot sun for four hours at the Delos Archaeological Site.

Appearance: Poured the contents of the can into a small, clear, plastic cup. Typical looking lager. Head quickly disappeared without leaving much residuals.

Smell: Hoppy, with some malts. I had to strain very hard for this one.

Taste: Malty and hoppy, very watered down.

Mouthfeel: Crisp, with ample carbonation. Refreshing. Mythos' only redeeming value.

Drinkability: Average. The Greeks seemed to be really proud of this beer. The woman on the ferry boasted how this was a great beer simply because it was made in Greece. After being pressured into trying it when I really wanted a Carlsberg, and adhering to my grandfather's axiom of "always be bold, try new things Mike," I had a go. After suffering a sunburn and a killer thirst in the Delian sun, Mythos was just what the doctor ordered. But I wouldn't have it again unless I was in similar circumstances in Greece.

08-25-2007 17:11:28 | More by inbeertruth
Onslow

2.6/5  rDev -2.6%

Not a bad lager at all, better than most 'mass' produced lagers in the world. Has a good head, but retention is low... Aroma is of crisp dew grass and light skunky hops... Taste is refreshing with a touch of crispness. Some muddled flavours, average stuff.

08-18-2007 14:56:48 | More by Onslow
eberkman

2.15/5  rDev -19.5%

Poured a clear, light golden yellow with a fairly thick white head that retained well -- the visual aesthetics were definitely a strong suit. Produced faint, grassy aromas with a slightly skunky character. Fairly bland palate with no discernible finish. The front and middle ends presented some very, very faint fruity and grassy notes. Perhaps the tiniest, almost undetectible hop nibble at the end. Mouthfeel was light in a thin, unsatisfying, barely there way rather than in a crisp, brisk, appetizing way. Drinkable in the sense that water is drinkable.

Not a foul beer, but certainly nothing to recommend itself. Donated by a close friend whose also proudly Greek. I imagine that it's listed as an expensive "premium" in a Greek restaurant, but don't take their word for it. It's basically a mediocre lager that gullible customers will leap on as an "import." But I'm grateful for the free refreshment either way.

08-07-2007 06:35:59 | More by eberkman
hunteraw

China

2.93/5  rDev +9.7%

Sampled at a Greek restaurant (coincidentally of the same name) in Coral Springs.

Appearance: Poured from a green bottle, yellowish and clear in color, very small head with little retention, no lacing.

Smell: Strongly grainy, slightly sulfurous aroma. Not appealing.

Taste: Flavor is grainy, grassy and somewhat sharp hop character, especially in the aftertaste. Finishes on the right note, but aftertaste is unappealing.

Mouthfeel: More body than I expected, light-medium, nothing noteable.

Drinkability: Another boring euro lager, but since it was available at the Greek restaurant I was at, it was a natural choice.

05-24-2007 18:08:53 | More by hunteraw
Mythos Hellenic Lager Beer from Mythos Breweries S.A.