Mythos Hellenic Lager Beer - Mythos Breweries S.A.

Mythos Hellenic Lager BeerMythos Hellenic Lager Beer

poor

poor

Mythos Breweries S.A. visit their website
Greece

Euro Pale Lager |  4.70% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 03-31-2002)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Mythos Hellenic Lager Beer Alström Bros
1.98/5  rDev -26.4%

Reviewed 2/7/2008 (bottle):

Pours a golden yellow colored body, with a huge creamy white head, lasting, with okay lacing. Has a light strange aroma, maybe corn or something. Sweet. Has a watery palate, and a sweet taste, with that same corn from the aroma, in the flavor.

2.8/5  rDev +4.1%

330ml bottle. I've had this at every Greek restaurant that I've been to, which isn't that many, but it always seems to go well with the food.

This beer pours a crystal clear, pale golden yellow colour, with one finger of thin, weakly foamy dirty white head, which quickly sinks away, leaving some decent spectral tree branch lace around the glass as things slowly drop off.

It smells quite strongly of grainy pale cereal malt - barley and corn/rice alike - it reminds me of Czech Pils' dimmer cousin - and is a wee bit skunky in its grassy, weedy hoppiness. The taste is somewhat simpler - warm cereal grain, a hint of gasohol, and dead grassy, weedy hops.

The carbonation is middling, and generally inoffensive, the body medium-light in weight, and more than a tad clammy in its weak attempt at smoothness. It finishes off-dry, and surprisingly clean, with a little cheap grainy sweetness lingering, the green bottle skank thankfully well and done by this point.

Nothing particularly special, a plain, inoffensive Euro-lager, unless of course you're out and about and getting your Greek on (I know that has other connotations, but I'm strictly talking about their cuisine) and tolerable enough to have a few, that is if the retsina isn't quite doing it for you.

2.78/5  rDev +3.3%

Appearance - Poured with a finger and a half of head, although doesn't seem to lace well. Gold color with green highlights when the light strikes it. Seems a little cloudy, however has clear signs of carbonation.

Smell - Everyone's favorite four legged mammal returns, as the beer smells quite skunky. Bread aroma with a slight touch of lemon I think in the background. Even after the beer has had a chance to warm up and clear most of the skunk, it's nothing great.

Taste - It starts with an almost light popcorn taste, which then turns to a slightly bitter corn taste with a hint of lemon and then ends with a watery end with a slight sweetness. Really the whole experience is watery and subdued. This stuff tastes like it was designed to be guzzled.

Mouthfeel - The carbonation is quite good and it doesn't transition too fiercely but I find it leaves my mouth quite a bit filmy, which isn't that appealing. Thankfully it doesn't linger, all in all not bad, nothing great though.

Drinkability - The most redeeming quality of this beer. It goes down light and smooth. The filmy aftertaste isn't so bad that it effects putting it down. It also is quite refreshing, albeit a bit watery.

Final Thoughts - This is one of those beers that I am sure is just the "Generic Fallback" beer of Greece. Nothing stands out or impresses and the beer is clearly meant to be guzzled down. It's not that it's a bad beer, it just leaves the pallet wanting something more. Maybe if I lived in Greece, it wouldn't be that bad, but the import cost for this beer makes it not worthwhile to buy again.

2.53/5  rDev -5.9%

From notes 12-30-08

Eye: The beer is clear as water and is a light yellow in color. Head formation is pretty nice, then again I poured this one at room temp....about 60-65 F. Retention is fair, it started out quite large but has fallen from three fingers to about 1/2 a finger in a very short time. Lacing is thin and spotty. I'm really not all that satisfied with the way this one looks, I'd like a darker shade of gold, it just looks like garbage, better head retention wouldn't hurt eiter.

Nose: A light malt sweetness and some graininess accompanies it. Spicy hop notes are present in just enough amounts to give balance to this beer. One can tell from the aroma that this is a Munich Helles rather than a pils or Euro Pale, it has more malt sweetness than either of those styles. Thats all there is here, this is nothing great, but nothing that is all that bad about it either. A tad more strength with the aroma overall would be nice. Average.

Tongue: None of the sweetness that was detected in the aroma...well I guess it was to be expected, it was barely there in aroma anyway. Slight notes of graininess. Really not much flavor at all. Very watery. Flavor, if you call it that in such small amounts, is fleeting. Its almost like this is flavored water. This is one of the weakest tasting beers I've had in a long time.

edit: getting some burnt popcorn flavor here, you know, those brown pieces of popcorn in the microwavable bag?.... yeah there's a bit of that acrid taste here; it is however much less mild and more hidden, yet tones of it are hinted at. Just the idea of it is unappetizing...its also not very strong, more of a subtle note with a watry front of some carboard, all in small amounts yet detectable. They don't stand out, yet they are there and are noticeable if one is looking for flaws. Not very pleasing.

Feel and Drinkability: I've never said this before, but this beer is wet...I mean the finish is very wet feeling, very watery. Carbonation isn't as high or as prickly as I thought it would be. It drinks like water, feels like water, tastes very watery... This is easy to drink, but it doesn't satisfy. Way overpriced. Don't go seeking this one out, its definitely not worth it. Those greeks better watch out, a beer like this might anger Dinoysis, and who knows what he'll do exact his revenge....

2.05/5  rDev -23.8%

Green bottle from Greek restaurant in Orlando.

Lager with corn, rice, and slight berry aroma. Taste is watery with lots of corn, rice, and some noticeable hops.

Finishes with lots of water and corn. So much corn that it is sweet, but it is totally out of character.

Not much that impresses or strikes me as remarkable.

3.7/5  rDev +37.5%

A new bottle i saw at the LCBO. Onto the review, pours out a nice light yellow color, with little laceing. Looks like a nice light lager. Smell was pretty good, nice floral hop aroma and a bit of skunk in the background. This tasted great! Goes down nice and smooth, with little hop bite, its just like velvet. Sometimes i just enjoy a light flavorful lager. Mouthfell is nice and full, perfect carbonation, like velvet. Drinkability is great, i have slammed mythos all night, and it was great. Great cheap beer!

3.15/5  rDev +17.1%

This pours a pale golden colour with very little head which disappears quick smart. Not a good looking beer.

Pleasant enough light malt aroma. Bready. Some funkiness. Quite like that.

Graininess continues on the palate. A bit sweet. Not unpleasant. No length though.

Ok mouthfeel.

Not as bad as I was expecting. I dare say it would taste a whole lot better if I was sitting in the sun with the Aegean in front of me.

2.7/5  rDev +0.4%

Mythos Hellenic Lager Beer pours a golden yellow color with a white head from an 11.2 ounce green bottle. The aroma is grainy and skunky. The flavor is grainy and there seems to be a touch of lemon like flavor. Not as bad as I feared, but not especially good.

2.3/5  rDev -14.5%

This is a typical mass produced lager beer intended to be consumed as a refreshment rather than beer. Pours a clear yellow color and has a very weak smell. The taste is very common and also weak with some metalic aftertaste. Too light to the mouth, over-dosed with CO2 to hide its mediochrity. I might drink a couple of these if I had nothing else to drink but that's it...

2.45/5  rDev -8.9%

33cl can purchased in Elounda, Crete.

Pours a pale straw with a very bubbly white head that receded fairly quickly and left decent lacing. The aroma is pretty tame with some corn and light sweet malts. The taste is on the sweeter side of things as lagers go with a solid malt backbone with some typical lager grains as well. The mouthfeel is bubbly with a slightly unpleasant bitterness in the finish. This is pretty drinkable, especially while sitting on the beach in Crete, but I would put this on my recommended list.

2.88/5  rDev +7.1%

Pours clear light yellow with little white head. Smell - malty, sweet, grassy. Taste the same, a little too sweet. Lack of carbonation, feels too flat. It's drinkable I guess, but there is nothing special. I would have this on ocasion, but really, you can find much better lagers out there.

2.63/5  rDev -2.2%

Drank far too much of this stuff while on Crete resently, both bottled and on tap. The choice was normally this or Amstel, so I would choose this because at least it is Greek. This is a review however of a can I drank in the quiet of my hotel room away from the crowds and noise outside.

Looks like your typical Med lager, pale golden, clear and bright, a small white clean looking head sat on top.

Very little aroma, some sweetness about, but otherwise nothing, just like most lagers.

One of the sweetest lagers I've ever tasted, fine if you want a sweet drink and the sun is boiling onto your head. Not so sure it would work on a cold frosty night in England. Not a lot of taste otherwise, just a sweetness.

Very little to add on the mouthfeel and drinkability of this beer. Watery and boring really.

Update: Oct 2011, holiday on Zante: again hads this beer in three forms (can, bottle, on-tap), refreshing but still boring!

2.58/5  rDev -4.1%

This ia very sweet beer, almost to the point of being under-attenuated. Really not much to offer here unless you have a sweet tooth and also like beer.

It looks and feels like a macro-lager, but the taste is really, really sweet.

I do not recommend.

2.88/5  rDev +7.1%

My mom returned from my parents' Greek vacation two years ago with this uncommon craving for Mythos. I saw it randomly this week at the local distributor and figured a sample was in order. The color is a pale straw with a thin but yielding head. Lots of visible carbonation. Nose is fresh with a little malt and yeast but nothing else.

This one features a reasonable crystal malt backbone with a decent hop laden finish. This somehow tastes a little more authentic than most generic macro lagers. Too much carbonation to really allow the drinker to appreciate the flavor fully. This is not a bad brew but definitely not something you need to look out for. Natch.

2.78/5  rDev +3.3%

12 oz bottle into glass.

A: Golden in color with 2 finger head.

S: Light malts and a touch of hops and grains. Not much there maybe a bit like Heineken. Heineken is the chicken of beers.

T: A bit like Heineken again I think its the skunky kind-buddy hops aroma and taste.

M: Not much there, but more than a lot of lagers.

D: This beer went well with my μελιτζανοσαλάτα appetizer. If it was as good as the Greek Myths I'd call it nectar and drink nothing but. Its not so hot though, however it does quench the thirst.

adio

2.63/5  rDev -2.2%

A - Poured out a golden yellow color with a small, white, fizzy head. No lacing.

S - It smelled of corn anf grains. Kind of an odd aroma that I couldn't place. It wasn't skunky just unusual.

T - Fairly bland. Corn and grains. No real hop character. Somewhat sweet and a hint of bitterness.

M - It was crisp and sharp. A light bodied beer with a good deal of carbonation.

D - Fairly typical for a European lager. By no means the worst, but certainly not worth buying a case.

3.3/5  rDev +22.7%

I was in Greece in November 2007, and as is my habit, drank the local beer everywhere I go.

I found Mythos to be an amusing if unassuming little beer.

It was very much a typical macro style lager, but when you drink it in the Plaka just below the Acropolis, or at the Archeology museum cafe, it is pretty darn nice!

Worth a try....

... if you are in Athens.

1.95/5  rDev -27.5%

Had a bottle at a local Greek restaurant with dinner. Not as distinctive as other Greek beers I’ve had. It tastes like most other mass-produced European lagers; if you had hidden the bottle and told me it was a Bitburger or Amstel, I probably would have believed it.

3.43/5  rDev +27.5%

330ml green bottle, bought at the SAQ

A: Nice blond lager, normal head, S: nice hop nose with a little malt, T: refeshing nice malt taste. D: perfect beer fot hot summer days. I expected a less tasty beer, better than most of canadian blond lager beer. perfectly recommandable.

3.23/5  rDev +20.1%

I was served a 330 ml bottle poured in a frosted mug at a local Greek Restaurant.

A: It poured a bright clear golden body with two finger bone white sticky head made up of tight bubbles. The head lingered deep into the drink and produced extensive lacing.

S: There was a whip of sweet malts and dash of spices but in reality it was difficult to generate much of an aroma from this beer.

T: It provided a nice clean and smooth sweet malt front that did not coast the tongue or over sweeten the palate. This sweetness was immediately complemented by the taste of white pepper and cloves as the hops kicked in. The finish was clean and crisp.

M: Light body with a subtle sweet and spicy flavor that ended clean.

D: This is a smooth and refreshing beer that is easy to drink in multiples.

1.58/5  rDev -41.3%

My boss is Greek, and just returned home from Greece. I asked her to bring me back some Greek beer, and this is what she brought. She said back in Greece they drink a lot of German beer but Mythos is a fairly popular beer of Greek origin. Also, please keep in mind this is my very first review.

Upon popping the tab on this can and pouring it into a pint glass the color is a clear light yellow color. I would say the carbonation is moderate. It had a very bubbly fake looking white head that had very little retention. It has a very clean and clear looking appearance with few carbonation bubbles. I guess typical of this style.

When I bring the glass to my nose I find myself bored immediately. I get a slight hint of sweet malt, however it is very subtle. The smell also lacks hops, I am trying hard to pick up on something, I would say grassy if anything. I am disappointed in the aroma.

Upon taking the initial few sips I find this beer very dull and bland. Again, sweet malty flavor but very weak. Hardly any hop bitterness or hop flavor of sorts. There is absolutely no complexity to this brew.

Mythos feels very wet and watered down. I would say very light body if you can even call it body. Again I would say moderate carbonation. But now that I have had it in a glass for a few minutes now I know it is going flat rather quickly.

As far as drinkability goes, it goes down easy. I would not recommend this to an Aficionado, but those who have yet to discover better beer may find this refreshing and enjoyable. I would not go out of my way to try this beer again. I have tried very hard not to let my love of hops and malt interfere with this review. But I enjoy and respect complexity and this beer had none. I would say a very average or below average for its style.

2.73/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Clear golden, corn syrup hue, finger high white head. Mildly carbonated, very slow. Some lacing sticks around. Smells a bit skunky, damp socks, perhaps malt. Taste is bitter, dry mouthfeel that lingers, comparable to a Stella with a dense body and texture I find in some euro lagers. I can appreciate one of these on a hot day or a steamy night but I wouldn't want to drink too many of them at one sitting. Really not much more I can say about this.

2.7/5  rDev +0.4%

Really one of my only options in the time I spent in the Greek Islands and I surely got tired of it fast. Nothing spectacular.

A - Run of the mill and what you would expect from the type.
S - Not much going on here- Seemed not to dominate any aspect but good aroma for what you want sitting on a hot beach
T - Flavors are again nothing that will blow you away but has the simple carbonation that you would want with extreme thirst. Seemed almost light beer tasting and a bit watery
M - Carbonation was a bit much
D - Suitable for sitting on the beach and looking for simple refreshment and does go down smooth but nothing to write home about

330ml bottle
5% ABV
I tried this beer on August 31, 2007 at Smokeless Joe's in Toronto. The beer poured a translucent gold colour with almost no head but a lot of effervescence. The aroma had hints of malt and wheat. The mouthfeel was medium-bodied with a high level of carbonation. The flavour was grassy with a hint of hops on the back of the tongue. This was a pretty forgettable beer, but knocked Greece off of my country list.

2.73/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

A - Clear golden straw colour with a couple of centimetres of head that falls away quite quickly.
S - Slighty hoppy spices notes and a grain aroma. Not much of either though.
T - Malt grain flavours dominate with some bitterness on the back of the tongue. Gets a bit cloying & sweet if you let it get warm, so don't.
M - Watery, low body mouthfeel with quite a high carbonation.
D - Drinkable beer that would be fine on a hot summer day on a greek island but short of that I won't be revisiting it any time soon.

Mythos Hellenic Lager Beer from Mythos Breweries S.A.