Mythos Hellenic Lager Beer - Mythos Breweries S.A.

Mythos Hellenic Lager BeerMythos Hellenic Lager Beer

poor

poor

Mythos Breweries S.A. visit their website
Greece

Euro Pale Lager |  4.70% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 03-31-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Mythos Hellenic Lager Beer Alström Bros
2.88/5  rDev +7.5%

Pours clear light yellow with little white head. Smell - malty, sweet, grassy. Taste the same, a little too sweet. Lack of carbonation, feels too flat. It's drinkable I guess, but there is nothing special. I would have this on ocasion, but really, you can find much better lagers out there.

Voonder, Sep 28, 2008
2.63/5  rDev -1.9%

Drank far too much of this stuff while on Crete resently, both bottled and on tap. The choice was normally this or Amstel, so I would choose this because at least it is Greek. This is a review however of a can I drank in the quiet of my hotel room away from the crowds and noise outside.

Looks like your typical Med lager, pale golden, clear and bright, a small white clean looking head sat on top.

Very little aroma, some sweetness about, but otherwise nothing, just like most lagers.

One of the sweetest lagers I've ever tasted, fine if you want a sweet drink and the sun is boiling onto your head. Not so sure it would work on a cold frosty night in England. Not a lot of taste otherwise, just a sweetness.

Very little to add on the mouthfeel and drinkability of this beer. Watery and boring really.

Update: Oct 2011, holiday on Zante: again hads this beer in three forms (can, bottle, on-tap), refreshing but still boring!

BlackHaddock, Sep 28, 2008
2.58/5  rDev -3.7%

This ia very sweet beer, almost to the point of being under-attenuated. Really not much to offer here unless you have a sweet tooth and also like beer.

It looks and feels like a macro-lager, but the taste is really, really sweet.

I do not recommend.

bboven, Sep 20, 2008
2.88/5  rDev +7.5%

My mom returned from my parents' Greek vacation two years ago with this uncommon craving for Mythos. I saw it randomly this week at the local distributor and figured a sample was in order. The color is a pale straw with a thin but yielding head. Lots of visible carbonation. Nose is fresh with a little malt and yeast but nothing else.

This one features a reasonable crystal malt backbone with a decent hop laden finish. This somehow tastes a little more authentic than most generic macro lagers. Too much carbonation to really allow the drinker to appreciate the flavor fully. This is not a bad brew but definitely not something you need to look out for. Natch.

daliandragon, Aug 04, 2008
2.78/5  rDev +3.7%

12 oz bottle into glass.

A: Golden in color with 2 finger head.

S: Light malts and a touch of hops and grains. Not much there maybe a bit like Heineken. Heineken is the chicken of beers.

T: A bit like Heineken again I think its the skunky kind-buddy hops aroma and taste.

M: Not much there, but more than a lot of lagers.

D: This beer went well with my μελιτζανοσαλάτα appetizer. If it was as good as the Greek Myths I'd call it nectar and drink nothing but. Its not so hot though, however it does quench the thirst.

adio

baos, Apr 18, 2008
2.63/5  rDev -1.9%

A - Poured out a golden yellow color with a small, white, fizzy head. No lacing.

S - It smelled of corn anf grains. Kind of an odd aroma that I couldn't place. It wasn't skunky just unusual.

T - Fairly bland. Corn and grains. No real hop character. Somewhat sweet and a hint of bitterness.

M - It was crisp and sharp. A light bodied beer with a good deal of carbonation.

D - Fairly typical for a European lager. By no means the worst, but certainly not worth buying a case.

zeff80, Apr 02, 2008
3.3/5  rDev +23.1%

I was in Greece in November 2007, and as is my habit, drank the local beer everywhere I go.

I found Mythos to be an amusing if unassuming little beer.

It was very much a typical macro style lager, but when you drink it in the Plaka just below the Acropolis, or at the Archeology museum cafe, it is pretty darn nice!

Worth a try....

... if you are in Athens.

btmo, Jan 28, 2008
1.95/5  rDev -27.2%

Had a bottle at a local Greek restaurant with dinner. Not as distinctive as other Greek beers I’ve had. It tastes like most other mass-produced European lagers; if you had hidden the bottle and told me it was a Bitburger or Amstel, I probably would have believed it.

watchnerd, Jan 13, 2008
3.43/5  rDev +28%

330ml green bottle, bought at the SAQ

A: Nice blond lager, normal head, S: nice hop nose with a little malt, T: refeshing nice malt taste. D: perfect beer fot hot summer days. I expected a less tasty beer, better than most of canadian blond lager beer. perfectly recommandable.

rodenbach99, Nov 17, 2007
3.23/5  rDev +20.5%

I was served a 330 ml bottle poured in a frosted mug at a local Greek Restaurant.

A: It poured a bright clear golden body with two finger bone white sticky head made up of tight bubbles. The head lingered deep into the drink and produced extensive lacing.

S: There was a whip of sweet malts and dash of spices but in reality it was difficult to generate much of an aroma from this beer.

T: It provided a nice clean and smooth sweet malt front that did not coast the tongue or over sweeten the palate. This sweetness was immediately complemented by the taste of white pepper and cloves as the hops kicked in. The finish was clean and crisp.

M: Light body with a subtle sweet and spicy flavor that ended clean.

D: This is a smooth and refreshing beer that is easy to drink in multiples.

dnichols, Nov 09, 2007
1.58/5  rDev -41%

My boss is Greek, and just returned home from Greece. I asked her to bring me back some Greek beer, and this is what she brought. She said back in Greece they drink a lot of German beer but Mythos is a fairly popular beer of Greek origin. Also, please keep in mind this is my very first review.

Upon popping the tab on this can and pouring it into a pint glass the color is a clear light yellow color. I would say the carbonation is moderate. It had a very bubbly fake looking white head that had very little retention. It has a very clean and clear looking appearance with few carbonation bubbles. I guess typical of this style.

When I bring the glass to my nose I find myself bored immediately. I get a slight hint of sweet malt, however it is very subtle. The smell also lacks hops, I am trying hard to pick up on something, I would say grassy if anything. I am disappointed in the aroma.

Upon taking the initial few sips I find this beer very dull and bland. Again, sweet malty flavor but very weak. Hardly any hop bitterness or hop flavor of sorts. There is absolutely no complexity to this brew.

Mythos feels very wet and watered down. I would say very light body if you can even call it body. Again I would say moderate carbonation. But now that I have had it in a glass for a few minutes now I know it is going flat rather quickly.

As far as drinkability goes, it goes down easy. I would not recommend this to an Aficionado, but those who have yet to discover better beer may find this refreshing and enjoyable. I would not go out of my way to try this beer again. I have tried very hard not to let my love of hops and malt interfere with this review. But I enjoy and respect complexity and this beer had none. I would say a very average or below average for its style.

HomeBrewJunkie, Nov 09, 2007
2.73/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Clear golden, corn syrup hue, finger high white head. Mildly carbonated, very slow. Some lacing sticks around. Smells a bit skunky, damp socks, perhaps malt. Taste is bitter, dry mouthfeel that lingers, comparable to a Stella with a dense body and texture I find in some euro lagers. I can appreciate one of these on a hot day or a steamy night but I wouldn't want to drink too many of them at one sitting. Really not much more I can say about this.

ThatWineGuy, Oct 02, 2007
2.7/5  rDev +0.7%

Really one of my only options in the time I spent in the Greek Islands and I surely got tired of it fast. Nothing spectacular.

A - Run of the mill and what you would expect from the type.
S - Not much going on here- Seemed not to dominate any aspect but good aroma for what you want sitting on a hot beach
T - Flavors are again nothing that will blow you away but has the simple carbonation that you would want with extreme thirst. Seemed almost light beer tasting and a bit watery
M - Carbonation was a bit much
D - Suitable for sitting on the beach and looking for simple refreshment and does go down smooth but nothing to write home about

marcpal, Sep 22, 2007

330ml bottle
5% ABV
I tried this beer on August 31, 2007 at Smokeless Joe's in Toronto. The beer poured a translucent gold colour with almost no head but a lot of effervescence. The aroma had hints of malt and wheat. The mouthfeel was medium-bodied with a high level of carbonation. The flavour was grassy with a hint of hops on the back of the tongue. This was a pretty forgettable beer, but knocked Greece off of my country list.

cyrenaica, Sep 01, 2007
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

A - Clear golden straw colour with a couple of centimetres of head that falls away quite quickly.
S - Slighty hoppy spices notes and a grain aroma. Not much of either though.
T - Malt grain flavours dominate with some bitterness on the back of the tongue. Gets a bit cloying & sweet if you let it get warm, so don't.
M - Watery, low body mouthfeel with quite a high carbonation.
D - Drinkable beer that would be fine on a hot summer day on a greek island but short of that I won't be revisiting it any time soon.

brendan13, Aug 28, 2007
2.53/5  rDev -5.6%

Had this with my wife on my way back to Mykonos, Greece, on a ferry after sweating underneath the hot sun for four hours at the Delos Archaeological Site.

Appearance: Poured the contents of the can into a small, clear, plastic cup. Typical looking lager. Head quickly disappeared without leaving much residuals.

Smell: Hoppy, with some malts. I had to strain very hard for this one.

Taste: Malty and hoppy, very watered down.

Mouthfeel: Crisp, with ample carbonation. Refreshing. Mythos' only redeeming value.

Drinkability: Average. The Greeks seemed to be really proud of this beer. The woman on the ferry boasted how this was a great beer simply because it was made in Greece. After being pressured into trying it when I really wanted a Carlsberg, and adhering to my grandfather's axiom of "always be bold, try new things Mike," I had a go. After suffering a sunburn and a killer thirst in the Delian sun, Mythos was just what the doctor ordered. But I wouldn't have it again unless I was in similar circumstances in Greece.

inbeertruth, Aug 25, 2007
2.6/5  rDev -3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Not a bad lager at all, better than most 'mass' produced lagers in the world. Has a good head, but retention is low... Aroma is of crisp dew grass and light skunky hops... Taste is refreshing with a touch of crispness. Some muddled flavours, average stuff.

Onslow, Aug 18, 2007
2.15/5  rDev -19.8%

Poured a clear, light golden yellow with a fairly thick white head that retained well -- the visual aesthetics were definitely a strong suit. Produced faint, grassy aromas with a slightly skunky character. Fairly bland palate with no discernible finish. The front and middle ends presented some very, very faint fruity and grassy notes. Perhaps the tiniest, almost undetectible hop nibble at the end. Mouthfeel was light in a thin, unsatisfying, barely there way rather than in a crisp, brisk, appetizing way. Drinkable in the sense that water is drinkable.

Not a foul beer, but certainly nothing to recommend itself. Donated by a close friend whose also proudly Greek. I imagine that it's listed as an expensive "premium" in a Greek restaurant, but don't take their word for it. It's basically a mediocre lager that gullible customers will leap on as an "import." But I'm grateful for the free refreshment either way.

eberkman, Aug 07, 2007
2.93/5  rDev +9.3%

Sampled at a Greek restaurant (coincidentally of the same name) in Coral Springs.

Appearance: Poured from a green bottle, yellowish and clear in color, very small head with little retention, no lacing.

Smell: Strongly grainy, slightly sulfurous aroma. Not appealing.

Taste: Flavor is grainy, grassy and somewhat sharp hop character, especially in the aftertaste. Finishes on the right note, but aftertaste is unappealing.

Mouthfeel: More body than I expected, light-medium, nothing noteable.

Drinkability: Another boring euro lager, but since it was available at the Greek restaurant I was at, it was a natural choice.

hunteraw, May 24, 2007

Poured straw colored, 2 finger head that slowly melted away to a light lace. Smell was mild, some hops with citrus undertones, perhaps lemon. Not much stood out in the taste, the hop and the malts balanced fairly well, and the aftertaste was a light, hoppy linger on the tongue. Light carbanation and body, kind of a crisp taste. Good enough, drinkable enough, but it doesn't stand out in any way.

micahgoldfus, May 14, 2007
2.48/5  rDev -7.5%

Poured this beer from the bottle to a 50 degree tumbler. The beer was a nice golden color with spider lacing and a fine bubbly head. Smelled kinda skunky and tasted green to me with a bitter finish. I was not to pleased with this beer and will not buy again.

Minkybut, Apr 14, 2007
2.85/5  rDev +6.3%

I reviewed this one over 4 years ago, but always felt I might have given it a bad shake, since I bought it from a wine store that didn't handle their beer very well.
A new sample is in my hands, so why not give Mythos another chance, eh?

Clear, pale ywllow, big, puffy white head, crumbling quickly. Typical lager look, not bad.

Aroma: faint whiffs of lemon and honey, but overall it's airy and dry, with grainy whispers off in the distance. Nondescript.

In the mouth, it's soft and wet, and palatable. Easily drunk, moist, but lacking anything special. Moderate carbonation, light body, quiet, dry finish...very mild, a typical beer-beer of the usual stripe. Just lacks, lacks hops, lacks malt, lacks anything beyond wet, grainy, and "beer."

There's no need to knock it this time around, there's nothing wrong---maybe it's a particularly fresh sample---but you don't need to knock yourself out to try this one. Ho meets hum in the land of Greece.

feloniousmonk, Mar 24, 2007
2.15/5  rDev -19.8%

Light golden color. Lightly veiled. White head, average. Quite decent presentation.
Malty nose, with hop hints. Quite fresh.
The semll is better than the taste: definitely malty.
Drinkable, yes, but nothing remarkable.
In the aftertaste again some hops notes, but the dominant note is the maltiness.
Quite like an hell.

stcules, Mar 19, 2007
2.73/5  rDev +1.9%

This beer has some features which remind me of some brazillian "top-quality" mass market beers, such as Original and Serramalte. Its a refreshing lager, with a nice creamy head and some lacing. Smells like Heineken, which made me feel that alot of bitterness was about to come. However, the beer is surprisingly light: some spicy and herbal flavors, but with a very easygoing drinkability.
Overall a medium beer, very easy to drink, but don't expect much from it.

sewald, Mar 14, 2007
2.63/5  rDev -1.9%

local store has these in singles for $2.39 a pop..why the hell not. Grabbed one from the back of the display in the hopes of getting a fresher one.

Average looking lager with decent head retention and nice lacing. slightly floral/spicy aroma with just a hint of 'green bottle syndrome' aka skunk.

Slightly sweet slightly spicy taste. Smooth..unoffensive easy to drink..if fresh, a nice beer on a hot day

Shadman, Feb 24, 2007
Mythos Hellenic Lager Beer from Mythos Breweries S.A.