Mythos Red - Mythos Breweries S.A.

Mythos RedMythos Red

Mythos Breweries S.A. visit their website
Greece

Euro Dark Lager |  5.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BlackHaddock on 09-28-2008)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Reviews by CFHMagnet:
CFHMagnet

3.5/5  rDev +6.4%

Best before date of 03/2012.

A simple pour left a finger of amber hued head. The body is a regal looking reddish orange. There are surprisingly few bubbles rising to the surface. When the head finished receding I was left with not much more than a thin frothy ring. No real lacing to report.

The rich aromas of malt and toffee were the first impressions I got. Digging deeper I got a little bread and a very light gardeny aroma.

The flavor seeks to confound. Caramel malt, and toffee along with bread and honey all seem to swirl together. A little spice on the end of the bread, with a garden herb style bitter coming through and combining with the bread and spice on the end. More complex than expected.

This beer is medium bodied and coats the mouth decently. It has a slightly bitter finish, but is overall rather sweet.

Overall I couldn't bring myself to call it average but I also couldn't really rate it as good as a 4. It feels like as you're drinking it you almost feel a potential that it just doesn't live up to.

02-03-2012 21:02:34 | More by CFHMagnet
brownbeer

Missouri

3.58/5  rDev +8.8%

12oz bottle. Pleasantly red with a decent, dirty white head.

Biscuity malt, to my suprise there are hops in the nose as well. Maybe apple skins.

More of a caramel sweetness in the taste, nutty, and slightly sharp and metallic, but not to an unbearable extent. Not as bad as I expected, I wouldn't buy it, but it has to be better than their green bottle helles lager.

03-10-2010 06:47:30 | More by brownbeer
BeerAdvocate

3.08/5  rDev -6.4%

Review from BeerAdvocate Magazine Issue #43 (Aug 2010):

This beer has a dark, brassy color and good stickage on the glass. It has a bready aroma with some sweetness, and hints of cooked veggies and herbal hops. It's very smooth, with some body. Its maltiness and bready, caramel un- dertones all go dry with a pulling graininess. The hops are modest with a kiss of bitterness and some vague flavor in the end. Dried hay and a bit of dry biscuit finish things off. This beer settles in to be a decent Amber Lager. We were asked to pair it with a burger as well, and we agreed.

01-11-2011 03:48:16 | More by BeerAdvocate
Ralphs66

Had this with my excellent Gyro at Lefteris Restaurant in Tarrytown NY, about an hour before I saw Los Lonely Boys ROCK the Music Hall...and what a pleasant surprise! I expected an adjunct, but this beer was quite good. Poured a nice copper, with about a finger of head and some nice lacing. Malty smell with just a hint of hop. Slightly sweet with a caramel overtone. Good carbonation which cut through the strong lamb flavors I was eating. Very drinkable and a great compliment to the Greek food. I eat at Lefteris when I can, so I'll be ordering this up again.

06-20-2011 12:45:29 | More by Ralphs66
bluejacket74

3.28/5  rDev -0.3%

11.2 ounce bottle, best before end of 03/2012. Served in a pint glass, the beer pours a clear reddish/copper color with about an inch light tan head. Head retention and lacing are both decent. Aroma is bready and caramel malt, toffee, and some honey. The brew tastes like bready malt, toffee, and some bitter grassy hops. Mouthfeel/body is light/medium, it's a bit creamy with moderate carbonation. It's also smooth and easy enough to drink. Overall I think this is an OK brew and worth trying.

07-28-2011 21:41:10 | More by bluejacket74
jaydoc

Kansas

12-21-2013 20:09:42 | More by jaydoc
BlackHaddock

United Kingdom (England)

2.88/5  rDev -12.5%

Poured into a straight tumbler on the balcony of my hotel overlooking Chania Harbour on the Island of Crete. A setting hard to beat anywhere in the world.

The beer was a sparkling Teak Wood Red colour with an off-white head on top which soon fell away to a wisp and a collar.

An aroma of toffee, caramel and sweet molasses hit my nose. A pleasant sweetness that didn't put me off like some sweet smelling beers do.

The taste was of dark toffee and treacle, the caramel was there too, but again it wasn't overly sweet.

The beer is thin and watery actually and a bit of a let down after the intial smells and first couple of sips. What I thought and hoped I'd found wasn't up to stratch in the end, a pity.

09-28-2008 14:57:42 | More by BlackHaddock
Scott_at_Beer_Frog

3.75/5  rDev +14%

12-29-2012 17:38:26 | More by Scott_at_Beer_Frog
donkeyrunner

3.25/5  rDev -1.2%

Auburn color with an off-white head. Impressive retention floats atop like whipped skim and leaves a few lacey dots.

Strong malt and fruit aroma. Tastes like a lager-version of an Irish red ale: bread crust, caramel malt, and fruit on display. Mouthfeel is creamy and surprisingly good.

For some reason I thought this beer would be bad. It's not.

12-13-2010 23:04:01 | More by donkeyrunner
TheManiacalOne

Rhode Island

3.9/5  rDev +18.5%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a deep coppery brown color, with a short off-white head that fades slowly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is kind of faint but contains caramelized malts, lager yeast, some fruit and a touch of hops.

T: The taste is bready with flavors of lager yeast and a hearty malt but not too heavy character. Then there is some sweetness that comes in from flavors of caramel and a little fruit, not strong but just enough for a good balance. There's a mild but complementary hops presence. The after-taste is slightly sweet.

M: Crisp and smooth, medium body, medium carbonation, finish is slightly sticky.

D: Tasty, goes down very easily, not too filling, mild kick, good representation of style, this is a very solid beer that is worth drinking for an entire evening.

02-21-2010 01:46:02 | More by TheManiacalOne
JuicesFlowing

Kansas

2.8/5  rDev -14.9%

Poured into a standard pint glass. The beer is a murky reddish amber. The off-white head dissipates immediately and there is little or no lacing. The beer smells good with loads of caramel coming through. The taste is semi-sweet with malts and caramel dominating. The mouthfeel is light bodied and even watery.

Overall, a really unbalanced beer. Loads of malts and caramel with little else. Add in the watered down mouthfeel, and this beer doesn't have a lot going for it. But, it's interesting to try beer from unassuming countries such as Greece.

02-25-2012 02:16:16 | More by JuicesFlowing
panos1313

Greece

3.73/5  rDev +13.4%

Im from greece and this is my favourite greek beer. Most others are mediocre lagers. Smells awesome, tastes pretty ok and the price is very good (like 0,70-0,80 euros per 330 ml bottle).

Prolly the best quality/price ratio of any beer you can get here.

10-30-2009 22:51:19 | More by panos1313
smcolw

3.83/5  rDev +16.4%

I was allowed to pour my own--pretty good head that settles as expected. Leaves some streaky lace. Amber color and clear

Rich caramel aroma--very sweet nose.

Tastes better than I expected. It isn't as sweet as the smell suggests. There's also enough hop to give some good balance. Body is okay and the carbonation is slightly understated. Pretty much tastes like a sweet American amber.

12-10-2011 18:05:05 | More by smcolw
MightyMonk

New Hampshire

3.83/5  rDev +16.4%

The color is a nice copper red with a clear look in the wide-mouth pint glass it was poured into. It appears to have an off white head that lingers and laces nicely.

S: The initial aroma is a roasted grain smell that is pleasing and not over powering.

T: The first taste is a bit surprising yielding some rich malted, roasted, taste not expected in a red ale.

Good beer that is very drinkable

05-16-2011 01:36:01 | More by MightyMonk
Spineypanda

3.85/5  rDev +17%

Pours copper in color with a good amount of head and lacing.
Smell is refreshingly tart, with a bit of an herbal scent.
Taste is somewhat short, but carries a good pack of flavor. There is a little maltiness that is followed by what I think the weak reds try to mimic. A grainy taste is apparent.
Mouthfeel is creamy, while being quite acidic feeling.

Not a bad beer at all

03-11-2011 00:37:17 | More by Spineypanda
BEERchitect

Kentucky

3.53/5  rDev +7.3%

Caramel and toast set the stage for this red ale. Where maltiness is met with grain, the earthy hops give a much needed reprieve.

Mythos Red takes on a deep auburn hue with brownish lowlights. A low-lying creamy off white head sits on the beer through majority of the session. Bright clarity.

Aromas of caramel and bread crusts give roundness and variety to the malt profile and doing so with a sun-kissed toasty/grainy scent.
Herbal hops allow a light grassy note to decorate the beer's aroma.

Very malty with toast, fresh baked breads, caramel, and a crusty flavor that gives just enough complexity to carry the beer in the lightness of hop flavor. And with just enough earthy bitterness, the hops keep the beer from cloying or from becomming too malt-forward. Low in esters, this red ale shows a smooth lagered character in taste.

Creamy early and creamy late, the beer has great consistency of malty textures throughout. And with a very mild grainy mouthfeel, the hops give bitterness and dryness to the snappy finish.

Mythos is most likely a Irish-style beer that has been lagered instead of treated like estery Irish ales. This gives a very clean and smooth flavor and feel to the malty-sweet beer. And with just enough malt complexity, the beer doesn't need much else.

07-27-2010 02:57:30 | More by BEERchitect
zeff80

Missouri

3.2/5  rDev -2.7%

A - Poured out a clear, burgundy color with a two-finger, khaki colored head of soapy, bubbly foam. It left thin traces of lace on the glass.

S - It had a malty aroma with notes of caramel and toffee. Some floral notes.

T - Grassy upon first sip with an English-like maltiness. Kid of had an odd bitterness.

M - It was crisp, sharp and smooth. A light to medium bodied lager with a fairly dry finish.

O - This is an okay dark lager. It was better than their regular lager.

07-19-2011 14:06:03 | More by zeff80
Jayli

3.1/5  rDev -5.8%

Had at The Greek Corner in Cambridge

A: This beer pours a clear copper/amber color with a 1/2 inch of khaki color head. Head recedes quickly leaving minor spots of lacing.

S: Nose is very sweet, caramel and toffee, hints of honey, and a yeasty, biscuit note.

T: Taste is caramel malts up front. The middle is filled out with tons of biscuit notes. Finish has a hint of honey that sticks with you a bit.

M: Light body, moderate carbonation, somewhat crisp with a sticky finish.

D: Goes down easily, not filling, the sweetness in the finish detracts slightly. Not a bad beer, but I wouldn't seek it out.

06-04-2010 13:16:13 | More by Jayli
kjkinsey

3.5/5  rDev +6.4%

12-19-2011 21:34:12 | More by kjkinsey
rorjets

Connecticut

2.06/5  rDev -37.4%

Trying this Greek Beer, Mythos Red. Like most of the foreign beers I have had, except those from the Big three (Britain, Belgium, & Germany), it's a disappointment. I had hoped that the "Red" would impart more flavor, and it does, to a certain extent; but bottom line it still has that cheap, adjunct beer taste that lingers in the mouth.

I would love to try beers from 100 countries, but until we start getting better imports, such as some foreign craft beers that I have read about, I will have to endure a lot of mediocre/poor brew to reach my goal.

08-11-2014 20:44:54 | More by rorjets
WinthrHOPHEAD89

3.73/5  rDev +13.4%

Poured from a single 12 oz. into a standard tumbler.

A - This beer pours a nice reddish copper color, and generated a nice 4 finger, crowning, eggshell colored head. Head was very foamy and marshmallowy. Slight effervesence. Leaves some moderate lacing.

S - The smell of this beer is very sweet, fruity and malty, with a just a hint of honey and cloves of some kind.

T - Very sweet and malty taste. A honey like taste is noticable on the back end of the toungue. Pretty refreshing taste, but not exactly thirst quenching.

M- The mouthfeel is not bad. This beer is fairly light-med bodied and not watery at all. The slight carbonation makes this beer fairly crisp on the finish, but doesnt't really dance on your toungue.

D- The drinkability on this beer is pretty high. I only had the chance to sample one 12 oz. bottle of this, but i could easily drink a few of these and not feel too overwhelmed.

O- Overall, this beer is nothing spectacular, but certainly not the worst ive had. Definitely a good middle of the road euro lager, and certainly worth a shot. Would have again. Solid 1 thumb up.

03-20-2011 04:00:03 | More by WinthrHOPHEAD89
mwar

Kentucky

2.25/5  rDev -31.6%

11-27-2012 00:30:38 | More by mwar
Latarnik

05-27-2014 22:33:27 | More by Latarnik
Minkybut

I poured this really average beer into my tumbler at 45 degrees. The beer was a reddish color and poured a tan head head. The beer was a bready tasting affair and really had nothing exceptional, but then it really was not terrible either. Regardless it just did not stand out enough warrant buying again.

10-07-2011 17:14:05 | More by Minkybut
rickyleepotts

Arizona

2.66/5  rDev -19.1%

I can't remember the last beer I had from Greece. I still haven't been to Greece. Maybe this beer gives me an excuse to go. Of course, the beer probably isn't the only reason to visit. History and the beaches are enough for me! We have reviewed a few beers from Carlsberg, but nothing to write home about. I actually didn't think this was distributed to Arizona until I saw it over at Sun Devil Liquors. It was $1.99, so I grabbed a bottle. I hope it's good! Of course, BeerAdvocate reviews aren't looking good. Cheers!

In the Glass: At first, I was excited about the head this beer was producing. Then I blinked, and it was gone. Not much going on here. Weak lace, too. There are a few tiny white bubbles sticking around just to tease me, but nothing to write home about. I hope this smells good. It came a long way for me to consume!

Nose: Well that smells like a Euro dark lager. A little bit of funk is coming through, with a hint of metallic. They talked about carmel in the tasting notes… but I am not smelling much carmel here. Of course, I have never had the pleasure of trying Greek carmel. Maybe it's different! I am not saying this smells bad, just doesn't not what I was expecting.

Flavor: The flavor is much better than the aroma. There are some definite sweet notes creeping in there, and the hops are really balanced here. There isn't much flavor in the finish, but as you drink the flavor is really well balanced. I bet this would be a good food beer.

Mouthfeel: The beer is a bit more carbonated than I wanted. Looking at this you would never know it was carbonated. Now that I look at it a little more, the color reminds me of a nice thick sweet barleywine. It is not a barleywine at all… and I am not getting much, if any sweetness. Good job, Greece… but you didn't impress me with his release.

Aftertaste: The aftertaste is subtle, but has nice dryness to it. Every time I swallow I get those same metallic notes that I was smelling a little bit ago.

This beer could be dangerous. It is easy to drink, and if served by the pint or by the pitcher, I could see, with a few slices of pizza, of downing a gallon of this stuff. It might not be delicious, but it sure is easy to drink. Cheers!

07-17-2013 03:27:41 | More by rickyleepotts
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Mythos Red from Mythos Breweries S.A.