Carnegie Porter 5,5% - Carlsberg Sverige AB

Carlsberg Sverige AB visit their website
Sweden

Baltic Porter |  5.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-04-2001

First introduced in 1836.

Strong beers were banned in Sweden 1923-1956.

The 5.5 % original recipe was re-introduced in 1985 as a beer fermented with both top and bottom yeast.

In 1993, the yeast was changed to a single bottom-fermenting strain.

In 2009, the label design and name was changed from "Carnegie Stark-Porter" to "Carnegie Porter".
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Carnegie Porter 5,5% Alström Bros
4.05/5  rDev -1.9%

1997 bottle..... The beer poured to a dark brown almost black color with not much in the way of a head. There were hints of a good strong coffee as well as the chocolate you would expect in a nice porter. There was not much in the way of carbonation which is a good thing from my perspective.

Not my favorite porter and perhaps just a shade or two light, but overall a very nice beer to enjoy. Not easy to find from what I understand, but clearly worth the effort. (468 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +15.5%

Vintage 2002:

Wow this is a real baby. :) Pours pitch black with a small brown head that fades away after a few seconds. It smells very malty with hints of coffee and dark chocolate, I think it has a really pleasant smell.

The taste is very complex, nice and pleasantly bitter, there is also a bit of coffee and burnt sugar in the background. The aftertaste is very long, but not as bitter as one would think. Thumbs up from me.

I think I will buy a few and let them mature!

Quote from the back label: "Carnegie Porter was created in 1836 and the taste is the same today" Anyone happen to have a 1836 vintage? ;)) (625 characters)

4.18/5  rDev +1.2%

A: Black liquid with a quite big light browish head. Medium and small bubbles, leaves some lacing on the glass.

S: Roasted (sweet) malt, coffee, lil' bit of choclate.

T: Roasted, coffee, choclate. Watery when swallowed, leaves a bitter roasted taste as aftertaste.

O: Quite impressed, deserves to have survied all these years. (330 characters)

4.03/5  rDev -2.4%

this bottle says 1998. pours a dark dark brown with no head and no lacing. almost looks like flat coke. the smell is great though malt and some chocolate. taste is the same as the smell with the malt lingering in the aftertaste. mouthfeel is somewhat thick and feels really smooth almost like milk or something. i'd probably drink some more if i had it, but if i had something else better, i'd take that. a pretty good brew overall. (432 characters)

4.13/5  rDev 0%

2006 the bottle says. Pours a deep dark brown, with a lacy head. Smells of dried fruits and roasty-ness. Mmmmm... this is a very nice porter. Molasses mixed with more dried fruits and toast in a very drinkable beer. Tastes bigger than its 5.5%. Wish this was more affordable in the US-- I'd drink this all fall and into the winter. (331 characters)

4.59/5  rDev +11.1%

Appearance- black with a beige head. Looks like Guinness

Smell- bitter, and light. Many different avenues are present in the scent. But the most surprising is that in a way, some of the aroma is similar to an American pilsner giant. (Miller, Bud, or Coors) Weird?

Taste- complex and truly delicious. It has a burnt wood start that thins fast. Water malt then starts over and as well mellows out fast.

Mouthfeel- starts thick, then thins out. Sharp feel, but I like that.

Drinkability- medium ease. But to be honest when the beer is drank fast, details and outlines of the pallet or taste were emphasized, which is normal. But also a sweetness came to be present. A truly good brew that takes you on a small voyage. Exploring taste buds you never knew you had.

An interesting great tasting brew. Complex and intricate. I liked mine extremely cold. (863 characters)

4.53/5  rDev +9.7%

Argang 1997 8.82 fl. oz.

Smells rich like a baltic porter. Smells of sweet molasses out of the bottle in a subdued way. Also notes of chocolate, fig, brown sugar?, old leather...

Minimal carbonation with a small caramel head that disapates into swirls after one sip. Deep mahogany in color, opaque, and inviting in stature for a nine year old brew.

Taste is so smooth, almost creamy, and perfectly balanced. This is not your average Baltic porter. It has a lower abv and is very mature, aged to perfection, and begging to be sipped around a small fire with best friends/loved ones.

When setting a concentric ring of lace forms around the edge of the glass. I think the peak of this beer may have been a few years earlier but this is such high quality and so well kept that I find it a pleasure to have the opportunity to consume.

Definately let this warm up in your mouth for a bit and you'll be in for a treat. That's when the true complexity starts showing imho. Hints of chocolate and molasses come out when I swish the beer around in my mouth under pressure. Yum.

Worth seeking out for a special treat. (1,128 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +7.7%

8.8oz bottle. Didn't realize it when I bought it, but it's the 1997 vintage. I get really lucky/unlucky finding ancient beers in strange places. Don't even remember buying this one. Let's go!

Pours black. No head, just a few tiny bubbles.. Ever-so-slightly roasted malt, fig (mmm!), bland coffee and raisinettes. I'm gonna let this one warm after the first few sips.

The earthy fruits in the nose are also in charge of the palate. A nice balanced sweetness without sourness or acidity. Tastes like m&ms and the stuffing of fig newtons and goes down oh so easy. There are weaknesses up front and in the finish, but they don't detract from what seems to be an interesting brew that has survived a decade intact, sans carbonation.

With warming, the beer smells 'dirtier' and dirtier. It's hard to describe the aroma, but it's nothing if not unique. The same is true of the taste. No bitterness, yet not too sweet. It took a while to figure it out, but it reminds me reminds me of riesen candies, just not as sweet.

Not really sure what to say about this one other than thumbs way up. A mysterious and subtle brew that is among the most interesting I've ever tried. I will be looking at my local stores for additional bottles of the 1997 vintage, and I will buy everything they have in stock. (1,293 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +13.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 1pt, 9oz bottle into a mug, 2004 vintage

A_Gorgeous dark black color with caramel color one centimeter head with bubbles on top surface. Really a beautiful beer, and leaves a nice slight lace

S_Big time vinegar, molasses. Burnt toast and coffee, a very rich and complex aroma complete with a slight bit of very dark bittersweet chocolate bar

T_Saliva kicks in on the pallet pretty quickly once this brew hits. Primary flavor is dark Italian burnt coffee also with some of that same white vinegar from the aroma

M_Very chewy and lightly carbonated, feels like chewy young goude cheese, absolutely gorgeous

D_Really nice dark roast italian coffee aftertaste is present but absolutely unintrusive. The alcohol is hidden very well. I really could drink many of these, very very nice

I am rating this beer very higly. It is easily one of the best porters I've ever had - in all five categories. Please, please pick this beer up and enjoy all of its subtleties slowly and fully (991 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +18.2%

fantastic beer!!! I found this on the menu of cafe rouge in berkeley. served in a tall slender pint glass, poured from approx 22 oz bottle. the thick tan head of medium and small sized bubbles lasts long enough for the beer to reach optimal tasting temperature. once it warms, you can smell more of the chocolate malts. tastes like chocolate, coffee, burned, some spices and a slight boozy late favoring. I loved it... it was drinksble and tasted good in my mouth, as it was not quite a thick meal in a mug, nor too light, as little red says, it I'd just right, and fantastic at that. (584 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +4.1%

Appearance: Pours a deep dark shade of black. The ale is somewhat translucent, revealing a slight shade of tawny red if the glass is introduced to some form of backlight.

Head is a frothy, creamy brown. Dissipates somewhat a few minutes after pouring, but leaves a bit of lacy fringe around the rim of the glass.

Smell: Aroma is of dark bitter chocolate with slight fruity overtones and a vaguely winey character. I can't detect any hop character in the nose. I smell a reasonable amount of roasted malt as well.

Mouthfeel: Creamy with moderate body. Carbonation is slight, but noticeable.

Taste: The flavor is a delicious mix of chocolate, black coffee, and a smooth maltiness tinged with a slight and subtle hop bitterness. As the ale warms, the maltiness and chocolate character become more pronounced.

Drinkability: This porter is more full-bodied than some I've tried, but is surprisingly drinkable.

This is probably one of my favorite porters, and I attribute that to a good balance of tastes -- malty sweetness contrasted with a pleasant roasted bitterness. The coffee and chocolate flavors are agreeable because they remain mild in character. Unlike some stouts and porters, I could enjoy more than one of these and not feel overwhelmed by the flavor. I recommend this one to anyone looking for a tasty, drinkable porter to enjoy on a rainy autumn afternoon. (1,372 characters)

4.9/5  rDev +18.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Very dark, with an average head, this beer sneaks up on you like base jumping Airborne Ranger delivering flowers that you forgot for your best girl as you walk up to her doorstep, with its mildly sweet, malty and perfectly balanced slight hopped aroma, and a just short of moderately thick mouth feel, like that of a stout. In fact, I'd bet a case that most people would identify it as a stout, if they were not told it's labeled a porter.

My first reaction right down to the last drop was that "this beer is perfect", so there's that. Although, the second one tasted more sweet to me, after pairings with some of the excellent olives Beer Table serves.

I had it at Beer Table, on tap in Brooklyn, where they really care about teh suds. (740 characters)

3.61/5  rDev -12.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

I had the 2004 version.
It pours an extremely dark red until it settles into an inky black with red edges when held to the light. It has a tan head closer to white than brown. The consistency of the head was fantastic. It smelled malty sweet with not too many hop characteristics that I could gather. Overall, the aroma was pleasant but not outstanding. This beer is balanced towards the sweet side in terms of flavor. Obviously the hops are not that evident but I wished there was something else there to counteract the very sweet malty tones it was giving me. This was a very creamy beer and it sat very well on the side of my tongue as I swished it around. It left a fairly clean taste that I was very pleased with. I probably will not pick this beer up again. However, I know a couple people that would love this stuff so I have to skew drinkablity up. (857 characters)

3.03/5  rDev -26.6%

A - Dark ruby with light tan, thick head.

Sm - Roasty, subdued, acidic, bread and toffee.

T - Has a sharp roastyness to it. Is pretty sweet. Hints of caugh syrup or cherries deep under.

M - Pretty light body, well carbonated.

D - Good but not balanced. Way too sweet. (271 characters)

3.82/5  rDev -7.5%

This guy poured a very deep black that you would expect to see with a stout. There was a very small head, even when trying to build a big one with a vigorous pour. The little head that there was quickly left the building. The smell was of a caramel/roasty/nutty mixture that was very interesting and exciting. The taste had a very cabonated twang to it that never went away, however underneath that was a very complex carmel, molasses nutty mixture that was very nice and unexpected along with a thick molasses like mouthfeel, I also figure that there was some lactose in there as well. I wish I knew what the rest of the label says. I would drink seveal of these on a nice cool evening. (687 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +12.6%

2004 vintage. Says Best Before May 2014. So sampled a few years before then.

I poured the 25 oz bottle into an imperial pint glass. Brings up a decent tan head. The color is dark brown with ruby highlights--nearly black but not quite. Leaves little lacing.

The smell, wow. It's sweet with some fruit and maybe a touch of alcohol. The roasted malt rises up and plays in your nose.

It tastes just really balanced. Sweet creamy mouthfeel mixed with the bitterness of the coffee and roasted malt. A nice hop flavor lingers and there's good hint of the hop bitterness peaking through as well. The carbonation is mild and feels just right. I drank the 25 oz never feeling like it was at all too much. Goes really well with a nice dark chocolate as well. I was expecting this to be a good beer, but it goes beyond that. It doesn't amazing strong flavors but it just works. (874 characters)

4.03/5  rDev -2.4%

I went into my local well-stocked beer store and cruised for eye-candy as neither my memory nor my heart could come up with an otherwise specific reference. I saw the label, the color, the unique bottle shape and I was at the register faster than I could change my mind. I came home, started heating up the kitchen cooking and anticipating what my mind was computing my heart's eye's whim came up with at the beer shop and I could stand it no longer. I popped my stellar bottled "firmament" anxiously pouring it into a handy pint glass to find a most satisfying cooking companion to prepare my palate for the delicious spicy peppers and pasta meal I was preparing. Round, brown, sweet, and smooth. A lucky privileged guy am I. Some of the elements I find in this drink I also look for in my morning espresso, my other main hobby. This is now a permanent inclusion to my short go-to list, awesome everytime brew. (911 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +0.5%

2001: Pours a nice dark ruby color with chocolate overtones with a smooth, tan head leaving behind a lacy cling. A whiff from the glass reveals big sweet, malty, dark fruity, raisin aromas. Big sweet malt flavor with a slight metallic twinge, some alcohol warming, medium fruitiness like plums or raisins, and a mild roasted malt contribution. A dry hops finish with some grain astringency keeps this beer under control. It has a smooth, medium-heavy body with medium carbonation, but has an almost syrupy consistency. This is a super malty porter... I didn't know they could be like this. Almost reminded me of some doppelbocks, but with some roast character added. (671 characters)

4.36/5  rDev +5.6%

Short brown bottle with årgång (vintage) 2004 on the label. Pour with almost no head and is jet black.

I get some licorice and molasses aromas. There is a little coffee in there as well. A lot going on with this beer.

The mouthfeel is pretty slick with very minimal carbonation. Since there are almost no bubble in the beer, I am surprised that I can feel the carbonation at all but it is actually pretty good for the flavor.

The beer is malty. Initially I got some licorice flavors, but this was likely implied by the aroma I was getting. As it warmed a bit I got more molasses, a little chocolate, and some other flavors that I can't quite identify.

The beer has a fairly medium body, very drinkable.

Overall a really nice beer. I picked this up on a whim, and was putting off drinking it. Now I want to get a few more bottles. (836 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +19.1%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into an allagash goblet type glass. Bottle dated 2010. Have another to compare in a year.

Smooth, but high pour yields an inch and a half khaki head.
Beer is near opaque with deep ruby/amber light showing through when held up toward the lamp.

Smells of raisins, figs, and very faint malt and coffee... VERY faint. The smell is beautiful.

Taste is also fronted by raisin, then figs I get no coffee I the taste. Very nice mild tobacco sweetness. No alcohol taste. Very little bitterness. Smells and tastes perfect to me.

Mouthfeel is nicely carbonated for the thick wet consistency. This is one of the best beers I've ever drank. Definately in the top ten.

Overall- I love this beer. I will buy this over and over again. Next time I see it I'm gonna buy a few to drink and a couple to store. I have one Ike holding for a year, but I have a feeling two or three or more years will make this beer absolutely fanfuckintastic. (957 characters)

2000: Deep black with a very good head. But... There is something I don't like. May be it's not enough deep in its' black. Caramel smell with a little touch of chocolate, not so vivid but very pleasant. What about taste? Well... taste is too hidden for porter. Very sweet, even much sweet. It tastes just like Nothern German schwarz-beers.
Too low abv and gravity for porter, but that's good indeed for drinkability. You can drink it much :)

And that's an only one Swedish porter I ever drank... Good beer. (512 characters)

3.6/5  rDev -12.8%

A - deep very dark amber color with a thin tan head

S - very sweet! molasses and maple syrup, sweet maltiness

T - the taste is much more settle compared to the nose. roasted malt,coffee candy

M - smoothish, med/high carbonation, med body and a bitter finish

D - this beer was a good experience overall, but i dont think i would buy it again. (346 characters)

4.05/5  rDev -1.9%

Dark reddish brown, almost black. Foam does not stay for long.

The smell is dark, sweet caramel. No detectable hop character, almost no fruitiness and very little of the roasted notes I would expect to find.

Tasting it, the roasted character that was so lacking in the smell finally arrive. And it is accompanied by even more caramel sweetness, and clear hints of liqorice. Bitterness is low from the start but grows to and appropriate level. A subtle hint of tobacco finishes.

Mouthfeel is a little on the thin side, for the type, but it works.

Overall a good rather than excellent beer. A little extra mouthfeel and definitely more complexity would have promoted it to great. Although I have never tasted the old top fermented version I can safely say that this beer would be ages better as a top fermented one. (817 characters)

3.56/5  rDev -13.8%

2006 in 1p 9oz bottle

Appearance: Inky black with a good sticky lace. The lace hangs around to the last sip

Smell: For some reason stewed tomatoes is the first thing that comes to mind and I can't get past that enough to find more.

taste: Tastes like the tomatoes I smell but tamed by the malts. Roasted nut flavors with a touch of coffee. A bit sour on the back end.

Mouthfeel: silky and a touch thin, almost no alcohol warmth.

drinkability: Interesting beer but I find the flavors fatiguing. I can't imagine wanting more than one of these in a sitting. I would keep it to a rare diversion. (596 characters)

4.64/5  rDev +12.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

16.9 fl. oz. bottle labeled "ÅRGÅNG 2001"

Appearance: Pours thick and dark... reddish hues with hints of brown at the thinnest edges when tilted and seen against light. Very little head on this... as expected from most beers I've had cellared this long. The head is negligible, fading to few large bubbles which is very unappealing.

Smell: Ahh... things take a turn for the better. Chocolate mocha sweetness really dominates the smell. No hop presence. Given the style, very appealing and inviting.

Taste: WOW... I think this is the only time I've given a beer a "5" (correction: I've given one other beer a "5" in the taste category)... given the style of beer, this one really tells me "thanks for letting me mature". The malt and smoked characters are balanced out by mocha sweetness as detected in the smell.

Mouthfeel: Very full body, which is surprising considering my previous experiences with porters at this ABV. Very crisp and clean finish... the taste lingers in the palate for just about 10 seconds, letting you contemplate the complexities, before it disappears, beckoning you to take another sip.

Overall: Extremely enjoyable. I was expecting a dud. I was SO surprised by this one... I may have trouble waiting another year or two for the other bottles I have. (1,301 characters)

Carnegie Porter 5,5% from Carlsberg Sverige AB