Carnegie Porter 5,5% - Carlsberg Sverige AB

Carnegie Porter 5,5%Carnegie Porter 5,5%

Carlsberg Sverige AB visit their website
Sweden

Baltic Porter |  5.50% ABV

First introduced in 1836.

Strong beers were banned in Sweden 1923-1956.

The 5.5 % original recipe was re-introduced in 1985 as a beer fermented with both top and bottom yeast.

In 1993, the yeast was changed to a single bottom-fermenting strain.

In 2009, the label design and name was changed from "Carnegie Stark-Porter" to "Carnegie Porter".

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-04-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Carnegie Porter 5,5% Alström Bros
AKBelgianBeast

Alaska

Pours dark black with an offwhite head. Nose has a slight scotch ale smell to it. Taste follows with dark malts and dark malt. creamy and scotch aleish through the middle. Kind of a grapeish and cherryish flavor towards the end. Mouthfeel is good and thick with silky feel. Goes down smooth and is very drinkable, a great session porter.

Note: 2004 vintage is still drinking great. Very lagery smooth, with wonderful flavor, I would give it A- or so. Awesome.

01-01-2008 11:52:13 | More by AKBelgianBeast
irishevans

Alaska

4.38/5  rDev +6.3%

pours a fairly opaque black/brown with a thin yet foamy mother of peral head. it smells like a malty wee heavy with some earthy notes. tastes like your staple porter but with a unique twist of cherries or grapes or prehaps even currents. it has the classic porter mouth-feel with a hopy finish, overall tasty. easy drinking porter, and will last this 06 vintage says best before 2016. for certin worth your time and cellar space.

01-01-2008 11:44:08 | More by irishevans
SPLITGRIN

Kentucky

4.13/5  rDev +0.2%

1997 Vintage.

A thin black body boasts no head even with a very strong pour. I guess this might be expected from a beer that is 10 years old. The oldest vintage beer I've tried. Nose definetly shows its age with hints of ink, antique wood, leather, molases and slight smoke. Enter the mouth with notes that resemble thin port, oak barrels, chalkie malt and dry, mineral back bone. Hints of underlieing coco are there also. This beer really shows its maturity in its complexity. Mouthfeel is like drinking an antique store. Drinkable in a sippable way. Do seek out a vintage if you can find it.

12-31-2007 00:19:25 | More by SPLITGRIN
baggio

Sweden

3.93/5  rDev -4.6%

One of the better beers produced in sweden and i've never tried it...untill now....

A: Pitch black. Almost non-existant lace.

S: Cocoa, ripe fruit, roasted malts, rum.

T: wood, vanilla, bourbon, coffee, chocolate.

M: Smooth as silk with a nice burnt aftertaste. Low carbonation.

This is a fine porter that i regret not trying untill now. I think should
age nicely too. Recommended!

12-23-2007 20:36:27 | More by baggio
DrJay

4.6/5  rDev +11.7%

2004 vintage. This one poured a clear, very dark brown with purplish highlights and a dense, tan cap. Great head retention and the foam produced plenty of thick, clumpy lacing. A grainy malt and dry cocoa aroma hit my nose first, followed by a light roastiness, dates, and nuts. Very malty with a clean yeast character in the nose. Mild bitterness that sits just underneath the malt notes. Fairly sweet, very malty, with ripe fruit, prunes, and nuts filling out the middle. It finished with a bittersweet chocolate/cocoa flavour. Chewy, malty body with creamy carbonation. Very smooth with a refined texture. Great balance, seems a bit mellowed with some graceful aging. This is a superb baltic porter, highly recommended.

12-18-2007 18:04:48 | More by DrJay
Lupin

Connecticut

4.47/5  rDev +8.5%

8.8oz bottle. Didn't realize it when I bought it, but it's the 1997 vintage. I get really lucky/unlucky finding ancient beers in strange places. Don't even remember buying this one. Let's go!

Pours black. No head, just a few tiny bubbles.. Ever-so-slightly roasted malt, fig (mmm!), bland coffee and raisinettes. I'm gonna let this one warm after the first few sips.

The earthy fruits in the nose are also in charge of the palate. A nice balanced sweetness without sourness or acidity. Tastes like m&ms and the stuffing of fig newtons and goes down oh so easy. There are weaknesses up front and in the finish, but they don't detract from what seems to be an interesting brew that has survived a decade intact, sans carbonation.

With warming, the beer smells 'dirtier' and dirtier. It's hard to describe the aroma, but it's nothing if not unique. The same is true of the taste. No bitterness, yet not too sweet. It took a while to figure it out, but it reminds me reminds me of riesen candies, just not as sweet.

Not really sure what to say about this one other than thumbs way up. A mysterious and subtle brew that is among the most interesting I've ever tried. I will be looking at my local stores for additional bottles of the 1997 vintage, and I will buy everything they have in stock.

12-15-2007 07:00:31 | More by Lupin
Gusler

Arizona

4.08/5  rDev -1%

Upon its parole from the 500ml bottle 2006 vintage, the beer sets a deep brown to black with strong dark ruby highlights, the head is light chocolate brown, creamy in texture and piled high on the body, lace forms an obscuring sheet. Nose has a rich roasted grain aroma, sweet with a definite espresso tone, caramel, and a hint of semi-sweet chocolate, earthy. Start has a pleasing roasted grain presence, sweet, with a bit of bitterness at the back, light to moderate in feel. Finish has mild acidity, touch of hops, toasted grain semi-sweetness continues to the very aftertaste, quite nice actually, a pleasing beer, not to light, not to heavy.

10-27-2007 16:14:19 | More by Gusler
Lupe

4.43/5  rDev +7.5%

Argang 2006 -

Pours black a night with an amber hue at the bottom of the pint glass. No light passing through this one. Huge chocolate milk colored head fades to a chunky finger-wide cap, leaving behind a sticky sheet of lace. One of the most visually appealing beers I've had.

Malty aroma - dark fruit, chocolate, and roasty with a bit of dark rum mixed in.

Start out with dark fruit - raisins and dried cherries. Molasses and chocolate flavors come up next. Roasted malts keep the sweetness in check - no real hop presence, but the roasted bitterness balances the malt. Finishes dry.

Soft, creamy, and smooth on the tongue. Light carbonation and a medium mouthfeel, with a lingering dry stickiness.

Very drinkable - hard to put down. Favor fades and begs for another sip. Great flavor and complexity paired with low abv leaving no fusel alcohol flavors. Thankfully this is only 5.5%, otherwise there could be trouble. Highly enjoyable.

10-14-2007 20:00:18 | More by Lupe
TheManiacalOne

Rhode Island

2006 release, acquired from DrJay courtesy of the Birthday Club 2, so a big “Thank you” goes out to him. Poured from a 16.9oz. bottle into a mug glass.

A: The beer is a deep dark brown color with a short off-white head that fades very slowly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is full of dark fruit, roasted malts and some chocolate with a touch of hops.

T: The taste starts out sweet and very fruity with flavors of raisins, cherries and chocolate. Then a little bit of smokiness and a hearty malt character provide a lot of substance. Next a mild hops presence comes in to give a good balance. Despite the sweet start, the after-taste is smoky and slightly bitter.

M: Crisp and smooth, medium-to-heavy body, light-to-medium carbonation, slightly sticky finish.

D: Tasty, goes down easily, slightly filling, excellent representation of style, this is a nice beer to sit and relax with, but even though it is got a mild kick, it does not like a beer that I would want to drink a bunch of. Nonetheless, it is a very good beer overall.

10-06-2007 02:05:10 | More by TheManiacalOne
OWSLEY069

3.2/5  rDev -22.3%

Pours black with a nice tan head. Aromas that are a small caramel sweetness. In the taste, a dry malt, with hints of chocolate and a nice coffee presence. A smooth, dry sticky mouthfeel and a dry malty aftertaste. Nice smoothness and flavor, a very enjoyable porter.

09-27-2007 18:56:55 | More by OWSLEY069
Slatetank

4.4/5  rDev +6.8%

I remember having this before when it was Pripps porter, and the flavor has remained true.
Decanted cool into a snifter, the 2004 bottling -best before May 2014.
A - A deep chocolate brown w/ a full 3 finger tan head. The body is almost black w/ a head comprised of tiny unevenly spaced bubbles.

S - Very aromatic with botanical scent w/ mineral qualities like seaweed. There is a tinge of metallic aromas, the smell has vinous and port notes w/ a tad of woodiness and vanilla.

M - A very luxurious, silky smooth and nutty, almost oily feel w/ lots of quickly fading carbonation. There is a spicy piney hop in the middle - a lot is goin' on, a very fine texture.

T - I think the shape of the bottle is important as the bubble in the neck really opens up the aroma and flavors. The taste is of dark malt, slightly toffee-like, and is delivered in a way that is rich, but not overly sweet. I imagine the minerals in the water add to the complexity of this porter. The roast in the start and dry finish w/ the graham cracker like crisp flavor just brings you back for more.
I consider the flavor to be subtle, but intriguing and full of flavor. The taste is the best part.

D - A great beer, session strength, but still one of the top examples of the style. I consider it one of the best. More than 1 pint is not enough, a class act.

09-22-2007 15:04:43 | More by Slatetank
aforbes10

Iowa

4.28/5  rDev +3.9%

2004 bottling. A brown and pretty beer. Opaque with a small, compact tan head. Smells of prunes, soy sauce, toffee, dark chocolate, cherries. Fruit odors are the most prominent, along with a rummy, scotch-like odor. Mmmm...yes, further evidence that baltic porters may be the most underappreciated of the top beer styles. This one is oaky and slightly burnt tasting, with lots of rum-like notes and a soft fruitiness. Burnt quality is maybe a bit too strong, turning the maltiness into more of a blackend coffee, but its still a great tasting beer. Too fizzy of a mouthfeel would be my only major complaint. Another great B.P. from Northern Europe!

09-18-2007 20:36:47 | More by aforbes10
rallison

4.43/5  rDev +7.5%

Vintage 2004. Very cool retro style yellow and black label stood out to me while perusing HiTime. Despite the ~$6/bottle cost I picked one up. As a baltic porter, I was slightly skeptical of the 5.5% abv on this one. But hey, I figured it was only fair to give it a try.

Pour is a very nice dark ruby black with a 1 finger light tan head that leaves a ton of lacing on the glass. First smell is of molasses, dark fruits and roasted flavors. Nice - lots of aroma for such a low abv beer!

First taste surprises me. This is 5.5%? Lots of molasses and dark fruits. Some nice roasted flavors emerge with a touch of chocolate. Prunes. Delicious mix of flavors, and all in a very sessionable 5.5% abv! Nice.

Mouthfeel is surprisingly rich for the abv, but still a touch light for the style. However, this is a nice upside, as I would love to have a beer like this for evenings when I want a beer that is both flavorful and sessionable.

Drinkability is exceptional.

Recommended. Maybe a different take on the Baltic Porter category, but quite a nice take on it.

09-17-2007 07:06:52 | More by rallison
drseamus

3.98/5  rDev -3.4%

This is the 2004 vintage.

A: Fantastic looking beer all around. I poured it into my DFH snifter which it fit perfectly with the one inch head. The body is very dark black with a bit of ruby shining through the bottom. The head is actually a bit grayer than I'm used to for a porter but is nice and thick.

S: Smells more like whiskey than beer. There seems to be a bit of wood and chocolate and a good amount of sweetness.

T: It seems to have a whiskey taste as well including the woodiness. Just like the smell, there is some chocolate behind that although the sweetness is not there.

M: It isn't as thick as I would like and almost more reminiscent of the higher ABV double stouts like KBS or WWS.

D: Not a bad beer although it doesn't fit the Baltic Porter category very well.

09-06-2007 03:00:45 | More by drseamus
xgabe

4.68/5  rDev +13.6%

16.9 fl. oz. bottle labeled "ÅRGÅNG 2001"

Appearance: Pours thick and dark... reddish hues with hints of brown at the thinnest edges when tilted and seen against light. Very little head on this... as expected from most beers I've had cellared this long. The head is negligible, fading to few large bubbles which is very unappealing.

Smell: Ahh... things take a turn for the better. Chocolate mocha sweetness really dominates the smell. No hop presence. Given the style, very appealing and inviting.

Taste: WOW... I think this is the only time I've given a beer a "5" (correction: I've given one other beer a "5" in the taste category)... given the style of beer, this one really tells me "thanks for letting me mature". The malt and smoked characters are balanced out by mocha sweetness as detected in the smell.

Mouthfeel: Very full body, which is surprising considering my previous experiences with porters at this ABV. Very crisp and clean finish... the taste lingers in the palate for just about 10 seconds, letting you contemplate the complexities, before it disappears, beckoning you to take another sip.

Overall: Extremely enjoyable. I was expecting a dud. I was SO surprised by this one... I may have trouble waiting another year or two for the other bottles I have.

08-28-2007 05:40:11 | More by xgabe
udubdawg

Kansas

16.9 oz bottle of the 2004 vintage
Pours nearly black, with some reddish highlights where sunlight sneaks through near the edges. Noticeably thin compared to most everything I else I drink that is this color. A tan head formed slowly but eventually reached over an inch in height before fading to an uneven ring with only a couple spots of lacing left behind.

Nose is lighter than I remember it - perhaps it is fading with age though I remember it lasting longer than this before. Still, it is very nice, full of chocolate, dark fruit and molasses. A bit redolent of port wine. Not noticing any alcohol here. I've had other bottles that rated a 4.5 - at least - in this category.

Just as tasty as I remembered it. More of the same from the aroma - rich, carmelized, and a bit roasty, flavors blended about perfectly. Quite sweet, complex, and fruity. Molasses and chocolate lasts into the finish, which also features a pleasant bitterness not noticed before. Excellent.

Very low carbonation and a bit thin across the tongue - a bit surprisingly for how creamy it is. While I wouldn't have more than one very often, that one delicious bottle is extremely drinkable.

08-21-2007 01:30:34 | More by udubdawg
mortarit

3.8/5  rDev -7.8%

I found this in the reduced price bend. It's ironic that I was looking for DuckRabbit Baltic Porter. I see this is the same style, awesome.

Great head that creates a full lacing effect while it last.

The alcohol isn't noticeable so it is easier to drink I think.
Has a nice toasty taste to it, hey I finally taste the caramel that everyone has mention in other post. It's rich concentrated taste.

This is a real easy drinking porter. I am surprise that I saw it in the reduce basket. I bought two of them so I will definitely enjoy the other one too.

08-14-2007 07:29:21 | More by mortarit
Metalmonk

4.38/5  rDev +6.3%

I never think about Swedish beer, but I suppose if I did, I wouldn't think "porter". Let's see...

Poured a big head, though it didn't stay around, reducing to a thin layer and a more substantial tan crown. The black color is a beautiful thing, and bubbles show ample carbonation within the abyss.

Big juicy aroma, bursting with chocolate, coffee, and dark fruits, with just a little smoke giving a nice edge.

Flavor brings on some big, upfront flavors: coffee, caramel, chocolate, dates, cola, and a balancing citric sweetness in the finish. Slightly mineral aftertaste, and an earthy overall bitterness that makes sure this doesn't become too overbearing one way or another.

Mouthfeel is mildly sticky, giving some character to the medium body. Stickiness lets a variety of flavors ride out on the tongue, I still taste smoke, toffee and chocolate long after I've put the glass down.

This was immensely enjoyable. I look forward to hunting it down again. [I'm assuming "Argang 2004" on the bottle means it was brewed in 2004. Best Before date is May 2014]

07-03-2007 21:06:01 | More by Metalmonk
bditty187

Nebraska

3.95/5  rDev -4.1%

Clear, dark brown in hue with a mix of ruby and tan highlights; beige head, at the apex the foam was over two fingers tall. Head retention was impressive; while the foam had a pocked soda look the bubbles did hang together very well. A tight cap lasted the entire consumption. Lacing started before I took a sip but, overall, it wasn’t very widespread. I can’t complain about the appearance, so I won’t. This is an attractive beer.

The nose has lots of toffee and caramel aromas as well as a faint but noticeable chocolate smell. Hints of molasses, figs, and raisins… no alcohol notes which should be expected considering it clocks in at sub 6% ABV. Clean aromas, no ale fruitiness. Lager yeast maybe? Not the most complex Baltic Porter I’ve smelled but it fits the mold, IMO. Moderate potency; I’ll call the aromas inviting, if not a tad straightforward.

The palate has a wonderful charred taste along with black coffee notes. Dry… more roasted then the nose indicated. There are suggestions of figs and raisins but these flavors are much in the background. Chocolate finds a home in the middle, somewhere after the char and coffee but before the dark fruits. Right before the finish, at the swallow, there is a brief hint of vanilla. Quick, dry, roasted aftertaste. I really like it. Compact flavor profile with enough complexity to keep me interested. Overall, it is tasty.

IMO, the mouthfeel is a tad thin and watery; about medium in body… maybe this is fitting for the size of this beer. Even so, I want more heft. Low but natural carbonation; on the whole the mouthfeel is okay. While I have complaints, this aspect of the beer doesn’t ruin the overall experience.

A session Baltic Porter? I think so. Should there be such a thing? Carnegie is not better than Gonzo or Ockocim but I like it all the same. Some crackers and cheddar cheese would rock with it. Maybe even a black bean burrito or a burger. I purchased a couple bottles in Council Bluffs, IA for $3.29. It was worth it.

“årgång 2006”

07-03-2007 15:18:26 | More by bditty187
RedHaze

Nebraska

4.1/5  rDev -0.5%

årgång 2006.

Pours a very dark chocolaty brown with some ruby peeking through the edges. The head peaks at about one finger and fades fairly quickly to a thin soapy cap, leaving behind a thin bit of lacing.

Smell; dark roasted/toasted malts, chocolate, coffee and some mild hops. There's some dark fruits going on, and a little malty sweetness as well.

Taste; lots of roasted flavors up front with burnt toast and coffee, and there's a pretty strong chocolate presence. Some dark fruits and a bit of a hoppy bitterness round out the finish.

Mouthfeel is medium to full bodied and with a fairly smooth carbonation it has a pretty silky feel. The drinkability is really good, and add in the fact that, for a Baltic Porter the alcohol level is fairly low, I could easily enjoy a couple of these.

07-01-2007 00:14:18 | More by RedHaze
msubulldog25

Oregon

4.2/5  rDev +1.9%

A 16.9 oz bottle, with a simple label almost all written in Swedish - årgång 2004. Not my first Swedish beer ever (thanks to a 1999 trip to Stockholm/Västerås for my brother's wedding, where plenty of Pripps Blå was consumed), but my first in a long time. Label reads: "Carnegie Porter was brewed for the first time in 1836 and tastes the same today as it did then."

A: Deep, dark brown with amber at the edges. Hardly any head; what there is appears stark white, surrounding the glass with a small ring and capping it with a star-shaped film. A little sticking lace, in thin bands.

S: Sweet & malty, to be expected of a Baltic Porter. Toasted grain and mild fruit. Pleasant, though a little subtle.

T: Malty sweetness with lots of spice and caramel, but with more bittering, grain huskiness, a little smoke. Slightly medicinal, citrus-y finish. Cocoa and darker chocolate in the finish. Dark roasted and some lactic sourness in the finish. Very tasty and nicely balanced.

M: Actively carbonated mouthfeel on a medium body. Grainy/sweet finish with some lingering spice. Infinitely smooth, lightly creamy, nice mouthfeel overall.

D: Very easy to drink, flavors aren't conducive to lots of drinking but good for a bottle. Worth a try, a good Baltic Porter.

06-30-2007 03:53:16 | More by msubulldog25
ybnorml

Rhode Island

4.18/5  rDev +1.5%

A very dark brown beer with dark mahogony highlights. Has a nice creamy dark beige head. There is a light dark roasted malt aroma with hints og coffee and licorice in the background. The flavor is full of roasty malt goodness. A nutlike sweetness on the sides of the tongue with a soft coffee bitterness at the back of the throat. The smooth creamy texture of the mouthfeel really drives this great beer home.

06-23-2007 21:34:34 | More by ybnorml
xav33

3.4/5  rDev -17.5%

Revisit #1

D. Carnegie & Co. Stark Porter
8.82 Fl Oz bottle (size?)
Argang 1997, absorbed 09/06
Medium pour in a tulip glass.

Poured black with some faint brown highlights. Absolutely no head or carbonation.

Smelt of strong molasses, raisins, smoke, roasted grain, moderate vinous alcoholic qualities.

Taste was upfront strong bitter stale bread, cardboard, and cobwebs with light molasses and dried plum sweetness followed by a moderate bitter cobwebs, tar, hazelnut and yeast bitterness and light molasses sweetness on a light moderate length finish.

Palate was light to medium bodied, oily to a dry finish, barely any carbonation, just a slight tingle on the palate, and lightly astringent.

Overall, it definitely tastes old. It's very interesting how it developed, although there is definitely a stale bread flavor. It aged nicely and is very interesting to try, with very subdued, balanced and intriguing new flavors. Past its prime though. Still enjoyable.

06-22-2007 03:53:31 | More by xav33
clickpush

4.03/5  rDev -2.2%

Bottle to tulip forms a three finger light brown head over very dark body, tinted w/ ruby hues. The head makes a rather speedy descent about half way, then slows to a fizzle where it's rocky and solid. Ends with a nice coat of lacing, a healthy halo, and lots of webbing along the glass. The smell is nice and roasty, some chocolate and plum, chalky and dry. It’s only been an hour in the fridge, it’s smooth and only very slightly carbonated in the mouthfeel. Leaves a lingering roast flavor in the mouth while the forefront is a bit sour and fruity, plums and chocolate, just like the smell. Some maple syrup qualities as well. Really easy drinking, appreciate the low carbonation how the beer is still thick without a ton of bubbles.

06-05-2007 07:50:00 | More by clickpush
plaid75

3.9/5  rDev -5.3%

Argang 2004.

Poured a deep black hue with a one finger foamy tan head. There was good retention and lacing.

The smell featured a soft cocoa aroma with hints of coffee and mild caramel.

The taste consisted of an upfront lactose sweetness that gradually blended with the roasted coffee element The sweetness prevented the flavor from drying out. I was a bit suprised by this.

The mouthfeel was full and chewy, with a bit of an uncomfortable heavy sweetness.

Overall a nice and flavorful porter. Not as dry as I would have hoped however.

05-17-2007 01:12:46 | More by plaid75