Carnegie Porter 5,5% - Carlsberg Sverige AB

Carnegie Porter 5,5%Carnegie Porter 5,5%

Carlsberg Sverige AB visit their website
Sweden

Baltic Porter |  5.50% ABV

First introduced in 1836.

Strong beers were banned in Sweden 1923-1956.

The 5.5 % original recipe was re-introduced in 1985 as a beer fermented with both top and bottom yeast.

In 1993, the yeast was changed to a single bottom-fermenting strain.

In 2009, the label design and name was changed from "Carnegie Stark-Porter" to "Carnegie Porter".

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-04-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Carnegie Porter 5,5% Alström Bros

3.25/5  rDev -20.9%

4.93/5  rDev +20%

Dark and perfekt with plenty taste..

3.51/5  rDev -14.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

11.2 oz bottle poured into a snifter.
5.5% ABV, "Årgång 2013"

A - Clarity is hard to come by in this black beer, but when held to the light, ruby mahogany shines through. The loose, soapy head disappears to clusters of spore-like bubbles sporadically dotted around the surface of the beer and on the glass.

S - Burnt cheap coffee, burnt toast, and oak give the aroma a charred, metallic scent that finally opens up as it warms up, allowing some dark fruit and fig nuances and a touch of mocha in on the finish.

T - The charred profile continues into the flavor with tons of black roasted malts imparting earthiness, burnt toast, peppery notes, and thin, dry cocoa.

M - Thin-bodied, this light porter is crisp and clean like a lager but without any malt sweetness or body leaving this reviewer wanting more.

O - Roasted and bitter with out backbone, this light (in every sense of the word) Baltic Porter has flimsy, lopsided flavor and the makings of a nice Baltic but little body to back it up.

4.5/5  rDev +9.5%

4.03/5  rDev -1.9%

I went into my local well-stocked beer store and cruised for eye-candy as neither my memory nor my heart could come up with an otherwise specific reference. I saw the label, the color, the unique bottle shape and I was at the register faster than I could change my mind. I came home, started heating up the kitchen cooking and anticipating what my mind was computing my heart's eye's whim came up with at the beer shop and I could stand it no longer. I popped my stellar bottled "firmament" anxiously pouring it into a handy pint glass to find a most satisfying cooking companion to prepare my palate for the delicious spicy peppers and pasta meal I was preparing. Round, brown, sweet, and smooth. A lucky privileged guy am I. Some of the elements I find in this drink I also look for in my morning espresso, my other main hobby. This is now a permanent inclusion to my short go-to list, awesome everytime brew.

4.5/5  rDev +9.5%

4.33/5  rDev +5.4%

Black appearance, but not very dense or thick. You can see through the edges a bit in the light. The head is thin, with a tan foam that settles leaving a pencil thin ring. The nose has a faint roastiness, with suggestions of caramel and toffee.

The flavor balances nicely between toffee sweetness and roasted chocolate malts. I'm getting a bit of vanilla as well, and the finish leaves a keen bitterness on the tongue. The alcohol seems quite mild, and I'm trying to figure out how this qualifies as a Baltic Porter. The mouthfeel has just the right degree of thickness, with a sharp carbonation that holds up well.

Overall I'm glad this was recommended to me. It's a fairly robust porter with good depth of flavor and supreme drinkability. Definitely a nice change from the typical American style porters that are so common. Highly recommended.

3.5/5  rDev -14.8%

3.5/5  rDev -14.8%

3.61/5  rDev -12.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 11.2 oz bottle into a mug. Pours pitch black with a foamy brown head. Smells of chocolate, a little coffee. Tastes of raisins, fruit, and candy, quite surprising. Beer lightly carbonated full body nice finish. Overall a slightly above average beer.

Carnegie Porter 5,5% from Carlsberg Sverige AB