2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Kaggen! Stormaktsporter - Närke Kulturbryggeri AB

Kaggen! StormaktsporterKaggen! Stormaktsporter

Närke Kulturbryggeri AB visit their website

Russian Imperial Stout |  10.00% ABV

The cask matured version of Stormaktsporter.

(Beer added by: baggio on 05-14-2008)
View: Beers (30) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 161 | Reviews: 94 | Show All Ratings:
Ljunkan

Sweden

Appereance: Dark brown, almost black color

Smell: Wonderful chocolate/vanilla smell, extremely pleasant. I could smell this all day long.

Taste: Even better! Chocolate, caramel/toffee, honey and vanilla with some oaky tones. There's also some fruit behind all this.

Mouthfeel thick, creamy and smooth... extremely good.

Drinkability: goes down pretty easy for this kind of beer. Nothing to drink many of but one bottle is no problem. I drank one by myself the first time I tried it, and the second time I shared it with a friend.

This is the best beer I've ever tried and I hope oneday I will find it again.

06-25-2008 11:00:20 | More by Ljunkan
Floydster

25 cl bottle shared by hrking/Bonus Beer Bob, it was great meeting you man and it was awesome of you to bring this all the way from Indiana in your suitcase, much respect to the man on the radio, my guess it was served at 55-60 degrees, consumed on 3/28/09 and reviewed from notes, poured into a Rader snifter I bought that day from the Pizza Port Bottle Shop, I will start off by saying that I could not find a single thing wrong with this beer, it was flawless, the only thing I was skeptical at first about was the aroma but when it opened up it was one of the best things I have ever smelled, the color of this beauty was black and absolutely no light going through, dark and thick, one inch creamy tan head that has some incredible legs, I mean after ten minutes and a soft swirl the lacing stuck to the side of the glass for a long time each and every swirl, great retention on it too, one of the best looking beers you will ever see, aroma is super complex and you get something different each time, it consists of rich fudge, tons of milk chocolate, an unparalleled honey scent, cream, espresso, sweet berries, vanilla, light roasted malt, brown sygar, tobacco, leather, dark fruits, wood, caramel, toffee, and mild molasses, flavor starts off with a wonderful honey taste, some plums and roasted chocolate in the middle, finish is super creamy and rich, wow is this dessert or beer, well actually it is a Baltic Porter that puts all others I have had to shame, when it warms up even more it really opens up and its sugary presence balances perfectly with the roasted notes, the vanilla backbone and soft oak is unreal too, such complexity but so simple at the same time, you are not going to drink this beer and be knocked down by its flavor, that is part of what makes it so good, its subtle and unique at the same time, the mixture of cocoa and honey is something that I have always enjoyed in beer but this one took it to another level, the flavor of this lingers very well without much warmth at all, sweetness balances out the bitter and so on, I could probably write a novel about this beer, tasted outstanding, its mouthfeel is thick and rich but also thin enough to make this extremely smooth and drinkable at the same time, also roasty, sweet, tangy, and creamy, medium to full bodied, taste lingers for a very long time, could have drank four of these little bottles easy and that is saying a lot for a beer that is ten percent, goes down incredibly easy, smooth every sip and never detect enough alcohol to even notice it, kept it on my tongue for fifteen to twenty seconds and it was barely hot, that is quite the accomplishment for a beer with a double digit ABV, this stuff can be consumed heavily for its strength, this is a Swedish treat I will never forget, I did not want to give this beer a perfect score, believe me and I tried to talk myself out of it, but it is entirely worthy of all its hype, it is masterfully crafted, I did not think I would ever get to try it but I am sure glad I did, I hope to trade for more in the future but I am not sure that is too likely, hope to drink again eventually though, most recommended, this brewery really needs to bottle more of this and allow the Shelton Brothers to bring it into the United States, perfection!

03-31-2009 01:29:51 | More by Floydster
corby112

2005 vintage in bottle sampled at Akkurat in Stockholm, Sweden. Pours pitch black with thin dark brown foam head. Aroma consists of roasted chocolate maltiness, coffee, toffee, caramel and loads of tart oakiness and bourbon. This beer is extremely smooth and quaffable. Roasty flavor up front with smooth creamy center and sweet bitter dry finish. Flavor dominated by excellent oak and bourbon flavors that are balanced with chocolate, coffee, toffee, caramel and a dry hop finish. Excellent! Lives up to the hype and the $65 price tag.

08-19-2009 23:33:28 | More by corby112
rvdoorn

Netherlands

Vintage 2008

I had the privilege to drink this beer for the First time at the Molen bier festival, and I experienced it as the best beer I ever had. However, I was still wondering how it would stand out against the upper-class of "American" (Russian) Imperial Stouts. Thanks to Dan I could have an epic beertasting evening with some friends with Surly Darkness, Darklord, Kate the Great, Abyss, Sexual Chocolate, Cigar City 110K OT Batch2, Speedway stout and on the other side, Stormaktsporter regular and Kaggen!.

Look: very very very dark, with an magnificent dark brown creamy head.

Smell: amazingly rich: raisins, other dark fruits, vanilla, bourbon, oak, coffee, dark chocolate, roasted malts. Maple syrup and creamy milk. too much to describe

Taste: wowowowowow, this is the best tasting beer I ever had. Compared to most other imperial stouts, all of the smell comes back in the taste. And man, this beer is so well balanced. The aftertaste I like the most, long and it is so incredibly rich and creamy.... creamy coffee and chocolate, and some bourbon....

Mouthfeel: not extremely thick, but so creamy and smooth. The alcohol is extremely well hidden.

Overall: I had this beer together with some big American RIS beers. Well, these US-beers could not even come close to this Swedish beauty, they were so unbalanced (especially in the aftertaste) compared to this almost magical balanced kaggen! This beer humiliates all other attempts to brew an imperial stout, besides the regular stormaktsporter and the abyss, which finished 2nd and 3rd just after the kaggen. The best beer I ever had. I feel so happy I could try it again, and even more blessed I have another bottle in the basement to age. Worth the hype, this beer is art!

08-02-2010 19:05:05 | More by rvdoorn
fewa

poured a deep dark color with a coffee creme brown head. Nose is coffee,bourbon, oak, chocolate, roasted malts. Taste is everything in the nose with hints of dark fruits, molasses and some balancing hop bitterness. Hints of soy sauce as well. The aftertaste is full and round, creamy even. The best i ever had in a stout. Mouthfeel is thick creamy and smooth. Overall: even better than the regular, the best out there.

01-29-2012 09:03:57 | More by fewa
Nightfall

Greece

250ml Bottle First try in 2009 a 2006 Vintage. I can’t deny that I had very high expectations and really wanted for it to fulfill them. Did it ? Hell yeah ! 2006 Bottle, served in a wonderful De Molen snifter. It pours pitch black, thick and oily in the glass creating a small but wonderful deep brown head. The wonderful roasted aroma, with the coffee and chocolate notes and a slight hint of vanilla, tar and wood. So complex and as it warms it becomes even better But nothing can prepare you for the taste that is about to follow. The roasted malts, coffee, chocolate, wood notes, some distant ripe fruit. So many flavors , so wonderfully balanced together. What really amazes me though is how easily it drinks despite it’s ABV, you feel like you can have (in my dreams) many many glasses, which is rarely the case with big Imp stouts. I can’t give it anything but a perfect score and I really doubt that I will do this for another beer (certainly hope so though :D ).

Having had this on many more occasions and in many vintages, my original rating hasn’t changed a bit. i wish I could drink this every day.

05-15-2012 11:56:03 | More by Nightfall
TexasStout

4.97/5  rDev +7.6%

Appear: Poured pitch black with a tiny, light brown head.

Smell: Nose was of roast malt and oak with some bourbon. As it warmed, the aromas enhanced to include some coffee and chocolate.

Taste: Taste was incredible. Delicious chocolate, fruit, vanilla and bourbon.

Mouthfeel: The texture was chewy, yet there was no harshness here. Slight alcohol warmth. Very complex.

drinkability: This was the best tasting beer I have ever had, by far. Truly fantastic. Give me a supply of these and I would never drink anything else again. The perfect beer.

BTW, this is classified here as a porter, but it is definitely an Imperial Stout.

01-29-2009 04:44:26 | More by TexasStout
nickd717

4.97/5  rDev +7.6%

Rating #1500 on RateBeer, not any milestone on BA though. 250ml bottle via trade, huge thanks to bierkoning on RB. 2008 vintage, released in 2009. Shared at a very small tasting with a few guys from BA. This was really one of the defining moments in my beer drinking career. Tried this next to regular Stormaktsporter. This beer was everything I hoped it to be. Insanely flavorful and complex, yet also subtle.

So from what I understand, "kaggen" is approximately Swedish for "barrel aged." So if I ever make it to Sweden and go to a beer bar there, I'll have to tell them to give me something kaggen. I wonder what the Swedish equivalent of "-bal aged" is. Maybe "-kan" or something. Yeah that sounds right.

Phenomenal appearance. Looks almost exactly the same as it's non "-kan" brother - pours darkest brown, not quite black, with a creamy tan head that settles over time, eventually leaving smooth thin foam and swirls in the beer.

So much going on in the aroma. Very complex and intense yet nothing overpowers. Roast, chocolate, caramel, anise, dark fruits, tobacco, and wildflower honey. Definitely some barrel notes as well: oak, vanilla, and whiskey.

Flavor is similarly complex and amazing. Tastes even better than it smells. Just the perfect level of sweetness with caramel, chocolate, toffee, dark fruits (raisin, plum, date), vanilla, herbal and floral notes, tobacco, oak, leather, well-integrated whiskey, and maybe even some hops. Slight floral notes and a little smoke. It's amazing how many flavors they pack into this beer. It's subtle and balanced a la Kate the Great rather than in your face a la Black Tuesday. It's on a whole other level from Kate though, really putting almost all competitors to shame.

Very smooth and creamy on the mouthfeel with medium-full body and an incredibly long finish. Not at all cloying or syrupy or boozy. So this is called an imperial stout, but feels more like a baltic porter in my opinion. A really, really awesome baltic porter.

Overall, just a flat-out amazing beer. The drinkability is insane for what it is, and it's almost tragic how small of a bottle this comes in.

01-29-2010 23:06:34 | More by nickd717
jrallen34

Review of 02-02-10
I drank this 2008 version 250 ml bottle into my Rochefort chalice.

The beer pours pitch black with a nice creamy dark tan head. Its very pretty and fluffy. The head rises about 2 fingers stays around a couple minutes and leaves a sopay head. The lacing is a little lighter than I would have hoped for.

The aroma is medium in strength, pretty matly to start lots of sweet chocolate, some vanilla and light bourbon on the end. There is a tiny bit of oak. Overall, its pretty understated.

The taste is super smooth its sweet up front with sweet chocolate, in the middle it brings some depth with some nice oak/bourbon than as the beer finishes you get a little more oak and vanilla.

The feel is very nice, very viscous and a very lasting taste.

The drinkability is nice, can't really taste any of the alcohol.

---
Review of 07-06-2010.
Re-tasted at the brewery
- 08 kaggen vs 08 stormaktsporter, the stormkatsporter was the better by everyone.
-05 kaggen(first year of Kaggen) vs 05 stormaktspoter, the kaggen won this around.
- Tried the 09 kaggen directly from the barrel. Its on Wild Turkey, only going to be about 800 bottles, this one is going to be special. Unreal vanilla already presenting, aroma is one of the best ever, taste still getting there but this will be awesome.
-06 version that was not barrel aged put into a glass bottle and just sat for 3 years, awesome vanilla notes on the front, beer itself is almost syrup lots of acid, a little tough to drink but interesting
- 08 kaggen that is 4 parts kaggen and 1 part smoked beer. This is not a commercial beer, made by the brewery for him and his friends. This was the best of the lot, unreal balance and totally amazing. They need to make this, it would hit top 5 easily so balanced with tons of vanilla, smoke, wood, and coffee. AWESOME.

Each version is totally different, the 08 that I reviewed and gave a 4.55 is widely considered in Sweden as the worst batch. The 05 was clearly better than the 08, the variants were unreal. Everything about this beer is awesome, good variations, good story, super rare, and even better people-owners at the brewery. If you are beer freak as Hans would call you this is a beer you have to somehow track down. They plan to keep the batches small and will continue to sell at a much lower price then the market commands because they want the average person to get the beer. It will continue to be distributed mostly to just the local restaurants in Orebro and a couple bas in Stockholm and Copenhagen, but expect to pay at least 60 US dollars. Your best bet is going to be here around the release and go to a local restaurant.

07-07-2010 16:16:50 | More by jrallen34
Doodler

Colorado

4.97/5  rDev +7.6%

At Jason's CO Stout tasting, This was a real treat: to try along side the regular Stormaktsporter. Tiny bottle that pours a deep coffee brown with a very thin tan head, Wow! Barrel flavors come through along with rich, sweet chocolates... mocha,,cocoa, creamy butterscotch... what a masterpiece. I can understand the hype. Never-ending / mouthcoating flavors. My favorite stout of the tasting and of those I've rated. Yummy stuff!

10-25-2010 02:29:51 | More by Doodler
olradetbalder

4.97/5  rDev +7.6%

Best beer I have ever tried. The worst about this beer, or brewery is that I went to school temporary in the sad litle town in Sweden for a year. The school was located next to the brewery and I had no idea about it.
Who's the goose?

The beer is exceptional in every way besides maybee the appearance, but that is also wonderfull with its brown foam and motoroil consistence. Balance is the keyword for this beer. All of the complexed flavours is on a straight line the whole time.

05-06-2011 14:37:17 | More by olradetbalder
rallison

4.95/5  rDev +7.1%

Thank you Bonus Beer Bob for the chance to try this incredibly rare beer. While I've had it once before, this was the only time I've had more than a couple of sips, and enough to properly wrap my head around the beer. Thanks dude.

Pours a thick, viscous, oily black. Tan, creamy head. Beautiful.

Chocolate, honey, creamy espresso in the smell. Notes of brown sugar and vanilla. Complex. Wonderful. Inviting.

Huge, rich, creamy chocolate, brown sugar, tobacco, dark fruits, oak all slowly unveil themselves in the taste. Caramel and vanilla notes. Honey carries through from the smell as well and provides a very nice, unique note in this beer.

Super rich, super creamy mouthfeel with virtually no alcohol heat. Excellent.

Extremely drinkable.

Every once in a while, a beer lives up to the hype. This is one of those. Incredibly complex, with layers of complexity that are slowly peeled back, sip after sip. All this, and no noticeable flaws to dampen the enjoyment. Awesome beer. Keg for my home, please? Ha, I wish. So, in summary, this beer sucks. Don't seek it out. Avoid at all costs. /sarcasm.

03-30-2009 03:23:30 | More by rallison
seaoflament

4.95/5  rDev +7.1%

A huge thanks to Bonus Beer Bob (hrking) for sharing this rare and incredible beer. I am truly honored and thankful to have this beer for my 400th review. This beer was the first beer of the insane "SeaofFloydster" epic tasting that took place after the Pizza Port Belgian Beer Party on March 28th.

I heard from a couple of people how great this beer is and that it's worth hunting down...I tried to be critical and could care less about hype but this beer is one of the few that really exceeded my expectations.

Pours dark with ½ inch of mocha colored foam. A thin ring forms after the beer settles, great retention and some lacing. A quick swirl of the glass brings back some head.

Roasted malts, bits of charcoal, clover honey, sweet raisins and dates at first impression. Brown sugar, fruits, and chocolate as it opens up. Delicate oak and vanilla aromas in the background. This beer continued to develop more interesting aromas and really needs to sit for a few minutes to open up. Notes of tobacco and a bit of leather. Really complex beer, almost too complex to describe all the aromas that are coming at me.

Roasted and chocolate malts, smoke, charred oak, vanilla, and fuity alcohol in the finish. Sticky brown sugar residue on the lips after every sip. Just like the aroma this one continues to develop as it warms up. Chocolate fudge flavors in the finish, coffee notes as well.

Really smooth and the alcohol is incredibly well hidden, finishes just a tad thin.

This beer had such an intense aroma that I literally had to rinse off my glass at least 3 times to wash off the aroma and get ready for the next beer.

03-30-2009 04:52:00 | More by seaoflament
hrking

Indiana

4.95/5  rDev +7.1%

Wow let's just start out by saying this beer is a mother effer to track down and worth the effort. I popped this open with Floydster and seaoflament and rallison after the Carlsbad Belgianfest at Pizza Port and after it got some air under it and I finally took my nose out of it..LOL..I took a sip and GIGITTY..the chocolate creamy fudge dessert i would pour this over ice cream. The flavors kept on coming with each sip.Almost at times switching from a great cigar beer to a leather presence. All the time maintaining it's chocolate creaminess. A lot of honey flavors coming through as well.This is one of those beer that you work so hard to get and it doesn't let you down. It truly does live up to it's hype and is worth the effort to acquire! Cheers, I'm glad you guys enjoyed the RARE treat as much as I did!

03-30-2009 19:22:14 | More by hrking
Thorpe429

4.93/5  rDev +6.7%

Huge thanks to a very generous BA for the chance to finally taste this one.

2007 Vintage

Pours jet black with a mocha head and a tad bit of lacing as it makes its way down. The smell is incredibly complex and quite forceful--I could actually get a pretty good whiff of it upon opening the bottle even before pouring it into my glass. Nose consisted of nearly every imperial stout adjective imaginable with great notes of chocolate fudge, vanilla, espresso, burnt dark fruits, roasted malt, and a bit of barrel characteristics. The taste brought things forward even more, really just layering the complexities in a very intense manner.

The chocolate fudge really stood out to me at time, but in all honesty it was really difficult to pick out individual throughout, as everything was just so well integrated. In essence, all I can really say is that this is exactly what an imperial stout should taste like. I would say that for a beer with this incredible amount of flavor, the feel was a bit thin. However, the carbonation was really nice and let the flavors shine through. Drinkability was just out of this world. I can't wait until the day when I get to try this again.

10-06-2010 02:17:29 | More by Thorpe429
francisweizen

Arizona

4.93/5  rDev +6.7%

This is a killer. A killer....

I was lucky enough to try a few bottles of this at the Akurat pub in Stockholm the last time I was there in 2010.

The different vintages each had their own excellent virtues about them.

A: This stuff is pitch black with maybe just a tiny bit of cola hue on the edges of the mocha head.

S: This smells fantastic dark black coffee grounds, chocolate, leather, and dark cane syrup dominate the aroma

T: Thick, heavy, and chewy coffee, chocolate, oak, vanilla, and spices with a bit of tobacco and leather for good measure.

M: Mouth coating thickness and syrup

O: Phenomenal. A benchmark of the style

03-27-2011 05:03:18 | More by francisweizen
Fux

France

4.93/5  rDev +6.7%

This was a long time want, generously shared by Shyne. 2009 vintage. Drunk in May 2012 to get warmed before the epic Sour&Bitter festival. Reviewed from notes.
A: Pours black, dark with faint brown glints. There is a small brown head which settles into a thin collar.
S: The smell is woody, oaky, on vanilla, bourbon and chocolate. Rich and gourmet scene.
T: The taste follows the nose with loads of dark chocolate and vanilla upfront. Next sips bring more roasted and toasted malts, with slightly burnt and toasted bread. A bit boozy on the aftertaste, but nothing disturbing.
M: Mouthfeel is sweet, oily, very smooth.
O: Very smooth and sweet, deep. I would land this again with great pleasure!

04-01-2013 17:06:49 | More by Fux
lagomswedish

4.9/5  rDev +6.1%

There are moments in your beer life when you're fortunate enough to be in the right place at the right time. Last week I found myself sitting down with one of the brewers at Närke, who personally took me through his range of outstanding beers.
By far the best of a great bunch was the Stormaktsporter - a rare (unlabeled) bottle from 2005 that had been matured in a whisky cask for a couple of months.
I was told there's only a few hundred litres of this left in the world - just as well I managed to slip a bottle into my pocket before I left!

appearance - pours as thick as engine oil. Ink black body, with a thick, creamy earthy brown head. This beer demands your respect and attention.

Smell - soooo complex. Layer upon layer upon layer, with distinct vinous qualities, buttery chocolate, coffee, spirit-soaked fruits and oak wood.

Taste - Exceptional. Port wine, mixed with powerful dark fruits (a hint of liquorice?), vanilla toffee, chocolate, expresso coffee and lightly burnt sugar. You could scoop the head up and dollop it straight onto vanilla ice-cream!

Mouthfeel - despite its oily colour, the mouthfeel is decadently smooth, and totally in keeping with this style of beer. Top marks.

Drinkability - I'm torn between giving it a '5' or a '4.5' - it's such an overwhelmingly great beer that I tried almost everything to avoid reaching the end of the glass. Twisted logic I know - but with this stuff so hard to come by I really mean it!

I've really going to treasure my one 250ml bottle of Kaggens Stormaktsporter. Quite simply it's the best Swedish beer I have ever tasted.

Full-stop.

10-14-2006 16:57:41 | More by lagomswedish
Bananaman

4.9/5  rDev +6.1%

Aww.. So wonderful, this beer is really brilliant and I think it lives up to it's reputation.

Dark-brown almost black color, and the bottle is so really cool too, looks kind of mystic.

The taste/smell is wonderful, big flavours of chocolate, fudge, vanilla, honey and some oak-character.

Great brew from Närke Kulturbryggeri! Luckily enough I have had the chance to drink this one twice!

08-18-2008 10:25:34 | More by Bananaman
mdfb79

4.9/5  rDev +6.1%

From 6/12/10 notes. Got to sample this side by side with the normal Stormaktsporter thanks to nimbleprop, huge thanks Mac! 2007 vintage.

a - Pours a dark brown color with an inch of tan head and light carbonation evident.

s - Smells of oak, chocolate, roasted malts, dark fruits, and vanilla. Hint of coffee.

t - Tastes of oak, chocolate, coffee, vanilla, and dark fruits.

m - Moderate to light carbonation and medium body. Smooth and very easy to drink.

d - As I mentioned in my Stormaktsporter review, I thought they were both very similiar, but amazing. I think the normal version has more dark fruits, while Kaggen! has more oak to it (which I prefered). Both are easily 2 of the best beers I have ever had, and I would love to try them again some time.

06-15-2010 00:30:40 | More by mdfb79
Pundarquartis

Denmark

4.9/5  rDev +6.1%

Bottle. 2007 vintage. An aroma of coffee, chocolate, vanilla, raisins, oak, fudge etc. that invites you to a wonderful taste that is perfectly balanced with no taste taking over the show. It feels quite different on the palate, however, much more carbonation that I expected but this isn’t a bad thing, quite the opposite. It looks beautiful in the glass, pitch black with a brown head. Quite possibly the best beer of all time.

05-04-2011 14:03:06 | More by Pundarquartis
kojevergas

4.9/5  rDev +6.1%

I purchased a bottle of this (2006 vintage) in July 2011 at Akkurat in Stockholm, Sweden for the staggering price of 375 kroner. It was a real bank breaker, but a treat as well. Reviewed from extensive notes. I was skeptical going into this beer, as I feel you have to be if people are claiming it's the best beer in the world (or even for the style).

Served from the bottle into a standard stemware glass (25cl) at Akkurat.

A: Pours a 2.5 finger head of beautiful brown-ruby colour, lovely cream, and brilliant thickness. Retention is excellent in general, but astounding for the high ABV. I love the unique colour of the creamy head. Solid nontransparent black colour. Very fucking appealing.

Sm: Chocolate, cream, raspberry (and maybe cherry) esters [but not "dark" esters as with Westvleteren 12], toffee, vanilla, slight roast, and another ester me broken nose can't identify (all apologies as usual, lads). The aroma is clean and of moderate strength. No alcohol comes through.

T: Chocolate, excellent subtle cream, vanilla, toffee truffle, some sort of fruit esters on the fringe, and cherry esters (which are dark and buried, but still contribute). No caramel. It's delightfully subtle and deep. Incredibly complex. I love it. No alcohol comes through in the taste. Some slight caramelized malt comes through on the finish, which feels a bit out of place, upsetting the near-perfect balance. Brilliantly and carefully built.

Mf: Amazingly soft and delicate. Silky smooth. Creamy, but not overly so. Perfectly complements the flavours. Really extraordinary and artful. On a level of sophistication rarely seen except perhaps in Westvleteren 12 and 8. Truly perfect.

Dr: No alcohol comes through. It's a treat. I love the complexity. It's meant to be savored. Lives up to the hype. I wouldn't call it a perfect beer but it's pretty damn close. There are only two noticeable flaws: the price (which doesn't affect my rating) and the caramelized malt on the finish, which is a touch out of place. I wish it were more available as well. I can't speculate on how the aging affects it, as the 2006 is the only one I've tried (and probably the only one I ever will). I was thinking while I was drinking it whether it was truly better than the Westvleteren 12 (if that's even a fair comparison), and I think it's very close, but ultimately this is better. I'd have to have them side by side for a true comparison (yeah right!).

09-15-2011 05:02:16 | More by kojevergas
ChicagoJohn

4.9/5  rDev +6.1%

Bought a bottle of 2008 in September 2011 at Akkurat in Stockholm, Sweden.

A: Not as dark as I expected. Dark brown but thick, almost viscous. This looks like it will be a real mouthful.

Smell: Can't smell any of the alcohol.. Recovering from a cold but I know I can't smell alcohol but my senses are slightly muted. I get hints of chocolate, perhaps vanilla?

T: Excellent.. Even though I'm sick, this beer is drinking fantastic. I brought a KBS and the KBS in taste cannot stand up to the complexity of this beer.

Mouthfeel: Feels exactly like it looks. A real heavy swisher.

Overall: Love to drink this more but the price is pretty high. Still, quite amazing. Absolutely a delight to drink.

04-19-2012 02:52:20 | More by ChicagoJohn
MasterSki

4.88/5  rDev +5.6%

2006 version, purchased at Oliver Twist. I've got the '07 waiting for the right tasting event back home. The bottle was given to me WAY too cold, so I let it warm for a bit.

A - First, I don't generally dig snifters for my RIS consumption - they generally reduce head volume by quite a bit, and my favorite brews don't benefit much from the aroma "retention". In any case, it had a late-rising dark mocha, even slightly red, half-finger of foam that dissipated pretty quickly to a ring with a few bubbles at the surface and some "legs". Pitch black - there's some pretty lace that's generated with each sip but it quickly slides down the edges of the glass and back into the abyss. It actually looked a lot like Dave's (d0b) pour of the Cigar City 110K+OT in my Darkness snifter. I'm going to give it the benefit of the doubt, but if I get subpar head volume in a different vessel next time I may dock this a half point.

S - Sweet Jesus - this thing smells epic. Huge whiskey, vanilla, oak, dark fruits, honey, roasted malts, tobacco, semi-sweet chocolate, coffee, molasses, and probably all the other descriptors used by my reviewing colleagues. The closest comparison I can think of was the incredible BA Decadence '07, but this brew brings a slight sour note to the table that is almost a little reminiscent of the most recent Perseguidor (batch 4). I'm not sure how much time this brew sits in the barrel, or whether Swedish whiskey is more conducive to "bugs" but it's a wonderful addition that adds a touch of depth and richness that can be lacking in other BA beers. There's not a trace of astringent alcohol either.

T - OK - you can pretty much taste everything listed in the smell, as there is really no drop-off in complexity. Whiskey, vanilla, wood, bittersweet chocolate, dark fruit, roastiness - they're all here. Near the back end of the palate it fleetingly moves into BA barleywine territory somehow, with the burnt molasses flavor in there, but then it finishes with huge tannins and oak - like on par with Toronado 20th here. I'm at a loss here, because I keep picking up slight sour beer elements that my fellow colleagues didn't mention - perhaps this is caused by the age, or the barrel used? In any case, it's as if someone took an amazing BA beer like Decadence and spiked it with a touch of Consecration or something.

M - There's a little heat to go with the full silky smooth body and lots of stickiness. The residual feel is that "I've been licking a piece of wood" kind of thing that shows up in barrel-aged brews. Fairly mild carbonation. No complaints here.

D - This is the only place I can really knock this brew. I was worried the 250ml bottle wouldn't be enough for me to really enjoy and reflect on, but it was plenty. The alcohol is well hidden, but the buzz creeps up pretty fast. Also, the heavy tannic finish and the somewhat mind-blowing flavor depth make this a true evening-ender. But what an evening!

It's not very often that a brew comes along that changes my perception of what a style can do. I'm not sure if the slight sour notes were intentional, or a by-product of the barrel aging process, but any beer that marries the best of brews like BA Decadence, Parabola, and Bell's BB Double/Cream Expo blend with stuff like Toronado 20th and Persguidor opens up my mind and palate to the amazing possibilities of beer. I understand this stuff is hard to get, but it should be tried be every beer lover at least once.

07-09-2009 22:25:44 | More by MasterSki
FreshHawk

4.88/5  rDev +5.6%

A - Deep black with a small brown, foamy head. Settles fast with just a bit of lacing left that also disappears fairly fast.

S - Very rich. Upfront is chocolate and fudge like smells, quite sweet. There is a very slight touch of coffee and a fair amount of tobacco as well. Also can smell some vanilla. Overall fairly sweet but very nice to smell.

T - Follows the nose a bit. Upfront it is fairly sweet with a good amount of chocolate/fudge along with some molasses. A good amount of vanilla and other oaky flavors are also quite present here, along with just a bit of whisky like taste. Just a bit of coffee is there. Also a bit of dark fruit as well. A number of flavors that fade in and out and change with each sip, with the constant really being the chocolate and the vanilla/barrel tastes.

M - Medium body with moderate carbonation. Very smooth and creamy.

D - Easy to sip beer. This depends most on how you feel about sweeter tastes in beer. I really like the flavors it uses so I would gladly drink more. The ABV holds drinking multiples (but so does my wallet and availability).

Notes: Vintage 2006 - Drank 2010. A very enjoyable dessert like beer. Glad I was able to finish off my time in Sweden at Akkurat and finish of the night with one of these. Yes there are better beers, and definitely yes, you can get more value of beer for the cost of this, but it is a very nice beer that is worth trying if you have the time and money and are in Stockholm.

03-27-2010 20:40:55 | More by FreshHawk