Kaggen! Stormaktsporter - Närke Kulturbryggeri AB

Wants: 1,327
Närke Kulturbryggeri AB visit their website
Sweden

Russian Imperial Stout |  10.00% ABV

The cask matured version of Stormaktsporter.

(Beer added by: baggio on 05-14-2008)

orbitalr0x, Nov 18, 2011

jh1982, Feb 13, 2012

dsgolovin, Feb 13, 2012

Beertracker, Nov 22, 2011

GRG1313, Nov 23, 2011

250ml Bottle First try in 2009 a 2006 Vintage. I can’t deny that I had very high expectations and really wanted for it to fulfill them. Did it ? Hell yeah ! 2006 Bottle, served in a wonderful De Molen snifter. It pours pitch black, thick and oily in the glass creating a small but wonderful deep brown head. The wonderful roasted aroma, with the coffee and chocolate notes and a slight hint of vanilla, tar and wood. So complex and as it warms it becomes even better But nothing can prepare you for the taste that is about to follow. The roasted malts, coffee, chocolate, wood notes, some distant ripe fruit. So many flavors , so wonderfully balanced together. What really amazes me though is how easily it drinks despite it’s ABV, you feel like you can have (in my dreams) many many glasses, which is rarely the case with big Imp stouts. I can’t give it anything but a perfect score and I really doubt that I will do this for another beer (certainly hope so though :D ).

Having had this on many more occasions and in many vintages, my original rating hasn’t changed a bit. i wish I could drink this every day.

Nightfall, May 15, 2012

oilersfan, Jan 06, 2013

spycow, Nov 15, 2011

eawolff99, Nov 14, 2011

Vintage 2008

I had the privilege to drink this beer for the First time at the Molen bier festival, and I experienced it as the best beer I ever had. However, I was still wondering how it would stand out against the upper-class of "American" (Russian) Imperial Stouts. Thanks to Dan I could have an epic beertasting evening with some friends with Surly Darkness, Darklord, Kate the Great, Abyss, Sexual Chocolate, Cigar City 110K OT Batch2, Speedway stout and on the other side, Stormaktsporter regular and Kaggen!.

Look: very very very dark, with an magnificent dark brown creamy head.

Smell: amazingly rich: raisins, other dark fruits, vanilla, bourbon, oak, coffee, dark chocolate, roasted malts. Maple syrup and creamy milk. too much to describe

Taste: wowowowowow, this is the best tasting beer I ever had. Compared to most other imperial stouts, all of the smell comes back in the taste. And man, this beer is so well balanced. The aftertaste I like the most, long and it is so incredibly rich and creamy.... creamy coffee and chocolate, and some bourbon....

Mouthfeel: not extremely thick, but so creamy and smooth. The alcohol is extremely well hidden.

Overall: I had this beer together with some big American RIS beers. Well, these US-beers could not even come close to this Swedish beauty, they were so unbalanced (especially in the aftertaste) compared to this almost magical balanced kaggen! This beer humiliates all other attempts to brew an imperial stout, besides the regular stormaktsporter and the abyss, which finished 2nd and 3rd just after the kaggen. The best beer I ever had. I feel so happy I could try it again, and even more blessed I have another bottle in the basement to age. Worth the hype, this beer is art!

rvdoorn, Aug 02, 2010

2005 vintage in bottle sampled at Akkurat in Stockholm, Sweden. Pours pitch black with thin dark brown foam head. Aroma consists of roasted chocolate maltiness, coffee, toffee, caramel and loads of tart oakiness and bourbon. This beer is extremely smooth and quaffable. Roasty flavor up front with smooth creamy center and sweet bitter dry finish. Flavor dominated by excellent oak and bourbon flavors that are balanced with chocolate, coffee, toffee, caramel and a dry hop finish. Excellent! Lives up to the hype and the $65 price tag.

corby112, Aug 20, 2009

whartontallboy, Nov 14, 2011

bobv, Nov 17, 2011

poured a deep dark color with a coffee creme brown head. Nose is coffee,bourbon, oak, chocolate, roasted malts. Taste is everything in the nose with hints of dark fruits, molasses and some balancing hop bitterness. Hints of soy sauce as well. The aftertaste is full and round, creamy even. The best i ever had in a stout. Mouthfeel is thick creamy and smooth. Overall: even better than the regular, the best out there.

fewa, Jan 29, 2012

25 cl bottle shared by hrking/Bonus Beer Bob, it was great meeting you man and it was awesome of you to bring this all the way from Indiana in your suitcase, much respect to the man on the radio, my guess it was served at 55-60 degrees, consumed on 3/28/09 and reviewed from notes, poured into a Rader snifter I bought that day from the Pizza Port Bottle Shop, I will start off by saying that I could not find a single thing wrong with this beer, it was flawless, the only thing I was skeptical at first about was the aroma but when it opened up it was one of the best things I have ever smelled, the color of this beauty was black and absolutely no light going through, dark and thick, one inch creamy tan head that has some incredible legs, I mean after ten minutes and a soft swirl the lacing stuck to the side of the glass for a long time each and every swirl, great retention on it too, one of the best looking beers you will ever see, aroma is super complex and you get something different each time, it consists of rich fudge, tons of milk chocolate, an unparalleled honey scent, cream, espresso, sweet berries, vanilla, light roasted malt, brown sygar, tobacco, leather, dark fruits, wood, caramel, toffee, and mild molasses, flavor starts off with a wonderful honey taste, some plums and roasted chocolate in the middle, finish is super creamy and rich, wow is this dessert or beer, well actually it is a Baltic Porter that puts all others I have had to shame, when it warms up even more it really opens up and its sugary presence balances perfectly with the roasted notes, the vanilla backbone and soft oak is unreal too, such complexity but so simple at the same time, you are not going to drink this beer and be knocked down by its flavor, that is part of what makes it so good, its subtle and unique at the same time, the mixture of cocoa and honey is something that I have always enjoyed in beer but this one took it to another level, the flavor of this lingers very well without much warmth at all, sweetness balances out the bitter and so on, I could probably write a novel about this beer, tasted outstanding, its mouthfeel is thick and rich but also thin enough to make this extremely smooth and drinkable at the same time, also roasty, sweet, tangy, and creamy, medium to full bodied, taste lingers for a very long time, could have drank four of these little bottles easy and that is saying a lot for a beer that is ten percent, goes down incredibly easy, smooth every sip and never detect enough alcohol to even notice it, kept it on my tongue for fifteen to twenty seconds and it was barely hot, that is quite the accomplishment for a beer with a double digit ABV, this stuff can be consumed heavily for its strength, this is a Swedish treat I will never forget, I did not want to give this beer a perfect score, believe me and I tried to talk myself out of it, but it is entirely worthy of all its hype, it is masterfully crafted, I did not think I would ever get to try it but I am sure glad I did, I hope to trade for more in the future but I am not sure that is too likely, hope to drink again eventually though, most recommended, this brewery really needs to bottle more of this and allow the Shelton Brothers to bring it into the United States, perfection!

Floydster, Mar 31, 2009