Kaggen! Stormaktsporter - Närke Kulturbryggeri AB

Wants: 1,327
Närke Kulturbryggeri AB visit their website
Sweden

Russian Imperial Stout |  10.00% ABV

The cask matured version of Stormaktsporter.

(Beer added by: baggio on 05-14-2008)

n2pux, Mar 05, 2014

StayWhatYouAre2, Jul 01, 2014

Jpepe08, Jan 25, 2014

Appereance: Dark brown, almost black color

Smell: Wonderful chocolate/vanilla smell, extremely pleasant. I could smell this all day long.

Taste: Even better! Chocolate, caramel/toffee, honey and vanilla with some oaky tones. There's also some fruit behind all this.

Mouthfeel thick, creamy and smooth... extremely good.

Drinkability: goes down pretty easy for this kind of beer. Nothing to drink many of but one bottle is no problem. I drank one by myself the first time I tried it, and the second time I shared it with a friend.

This is the best beer I've ever tried and I hope oneday I will find it again.

Ljunkan, Jun 25, 2008

jgagne, Sep 11, 2012
4.97/5  rDev +7.6%

Best beer I have ever tried. The worst about this beer, or brewery is that I went to school temporary in the sad litle town in Sweden for a year. The school was located next to the brewery and I had no idea about it.
Who's the goose?

The beer is exceptional in every way besides maybee the appearance, but that is also wonderfull with its brown foam and motoroil consistence. Balance is the keyword for this beer. All of the complexed flavours is on a straight line the whole time.

olradetbalder, May 06, 2011
4.97/5  rDev +7.6%

Rating #1500 on RateBeer, not any milestone on BA though. 250ml bottle via trade, huge thanks to bierkoning on RB. 2008 vintage, released in 2009. Shared at a very small tasting with a few guys from BA. This was really one of the defining moments in my beer drinking career. Tried this next to regular Stormaktsporter. This beer was everything I hoped it to be. Insanely flavorful and complex, yet also subtle.

So from what I understand, "kaggen" is approximately Swedish for "barrel aged." So if I ever make it to Sweden and go to a beer bar there, I'll have to tell them to give me something kaggen. I wonder what the Swedish equivalent of "-bal aged" is. Maybe "-kan" or something. Yeah that sounds right.

Phenomenal appearance. Looks almost exactly the same as it's non "-kan" brother - pours darkest brown, not quite black, with a creamy tan head that settles over time, eventually leaving smooth thin foam and swirls in the beer.

So much going on in the aroma. Very complex and intense yet nothing overpowers. Roast, chocolate, caramel, anise, dark fruits, tobacco, and wildflower honey. Definitely some barrel notes as well: oak, vanilla, and whiskey.

Flavor is similarly complex and amazing. Tastes even better than it smells. Just the perfect level of sweetness with caramel, chocolate, toffee, dark fruits (raisin, plum, date), vanilla, herbal and floral notes, tobacco, oak, leather, well-integrated whiskey, and maybe even some hops. Slight floral notes and a little smoke. It's amazing how many flavors they pack into this beer. It's subtle and balanced a la Kate the Great rather than in your face a la Black Tuesday. It's on a whole other level from Kate though, really putting almost all competitors to shame.

Very smooth and creamy on the mouthfeel with medium-full body and an incredibly long finish. Not at all cloying or syrupy or boozy. So this is called an imperial stout, but feels more like a baltic porter in my opinion. A really, really awesome baltic porter.

Overall, just a flat-out amazing beer. The drinkability is insane for what it is, and it's almost tragic how small of a bottle this comes in.

nickd717, Jan 29, 2010
4.97/5  rDev +7.6%

Appear: Poured pitch black with a tiny, light brown head.

Smell: Nose was of roast malt and oak with some bourbon. As it warmed, the aromas enhanced to include some coffee and chocolate.

Taste: Taste was incredible. Delicious chocolate, fruit, vanilla and bourbon.

Mouthfeel: The texture was chewy, yet there was no harshness here. Slight alcohol warmth. Very complex.

drinkability: This was the best tasting beer I have ever had, by far. Truly fantastic. Give me a supply of these and I would never drink anything else again. The perfect beer.

BTW, this is classified here as a porter, but it is definitely an Imperial Stout.

TexasStout, Jan 29, 2009
4.97/5  rDev +7.6%

At Jason's CO Stout tasting, This was a real treat: to try along side the regular Stormaktsporter. Tiny bottle that pours a deep coffee brown with a very thin tan head, Wow! Barrel flavors come through along with rich, sweet chocolates... mocha,,cocoa, creamy butterscotch... what a masterpiece. I can understand the hype. Never-ending / mouthcoating flavors. My favorite stout of the tasting and of those I've rated. Yummy stuff!

Doodler, Oct 25, 2010

Review of 02-02-10
I drank this 2008 version 250 ml bottle into my Rochefort chalice.

The beer pours pitch black with a nice creamy dark tan head. Its very pretty and fluffy. The head rises about 2 fingers stays around a couple minutes and leaves a sopay head. The lacing is a little lighter than I would have hoped for.

The aroma is medium in strength, pretty matly to start lots of sweet chocolate, some vanilla and light bourbon on the end. There is a tiny bit of oak. Overall, its pretty understated.

The taste is super smooth its sweet up front with sweet chocolate, in the middle it brings some depth with some nice oak/bourbon than as the beer finishes you get a little more oak and vanilla.

The feel is very nice, very viscous and a very lasting taste.

The drinkability is nice, can't really taste any of the alcohol.

---
Review of 07-06-2010.
Re-tasted at the brewery
- 08 kaggen vs 08 stormaktsporter, the stormkatsporter was the better by everyone.
-05 kaggen(first year of Kaggen) vs 05 stormaktspoter, the kaggen won this around.
- Tried the 09 kaggen directly from the barrel. Its on Wild Turkey, only going to be about 800 bottles, this one is going to be special. Unreal vanilla already presenting, aroma is one of the best ever, taste still getting there but this will be awesome.
-06 version that was not barrel aged put into a glass bottle and just sat for 3 years, awesome vanilla notes on the front, beer itself is almost syrup lots of acid, a little tough to drink but interesting
- 08 kaggen that is 4 parts kaggen and 1 part smoked beer. This is not a commercial beer, made by the brewery for him and his friends. This was the best of the lot, unreal balance and totally amazing. They need to make this, it would hit top 5 easily so balanced with tons of vanilla, smoke, wood, and coffee. AWESOME.

Each version is totally different, the 08 that I reviewed and gave a 4.55 is widely considered in Sweden as the worst batch. The 05 was clearly better than the 08, the variants were unreal. Everything about this beer is awesome, good variations, good story, super rare, and even better people-owners at the brewery. If you are beer freak as Hans would call you this is a beer you have to somehow track down. They plan to keep the batches small and will continue to sell at a much lower price then the market commands because they want the average person to get the beer. It will continue to be distributed mostly to just the local restaurants in Orebro and a couple bas in Stockholm and Copenhagen, but expect to pay at least 60 US dollars. Your best bet is going to be here around the release and go to a local restaurant.

jrallen34, Jul 07, 2010
4.95/5  rDev +7.1%

Thank you Bonus Beer Bob for the chance to try this incredibly rare beer. While I've had it once before, this was the only time I've had more than a couple of sips, and enough to properly wrap my head around the beer. Thanks dude.

Pours a thick, viscous, oily black. Tan, creamy head. Beautiful.

Chocolate, honey, creamy espresso in the smell. Notes of brown sugar and vanilla. Complex. Wonderful. Inviting.

Huge, rich, creamy chocolate, brown sugar, tobacco, dark fruits, oak all slowly unveil themselves in the taste. Caramel and vanilla notes. Honey carries through from the smell as well and provides a very nice, unique note in this beer.

Super rich, super creamy mouthfeel with virtually no alcohol heat. Excellent.

Extremely drinkable.

Every once in a while, a beer lives up to the hype. This is one of those. Incredibly complex, with layers of complexity that are slowly peeled back, sip after sip. All this, and no noticeable flaws to dampen the enjoyment. Awesome beer. Keg for my home, please? Ha, I wish. So, in summary, this beer sucks. Don't seek it out. Avoid at all costs. /sarcasm.

rallison, Mar 30, 2009
4.95/5  rDev +7.1%

A huge thanks to Bonus Beer Bob (hrking) for sharing this rare and incredible beer. I am truly honored and thankful to have this beer for my 400th review. This beer was the first beer of the insane "SeaofFloydster" epic tasting that took place after the Pizza Port Belgian Beer Party on March 28th.

I heard from a couple of people how great this beer is and that it's worth hunting down...I tried to be critical and could care less about hype but this beer is one of the few that really exceeded my expectations.

Pours dark with ½ inch of mocha colored foam. A thin ring forms after the beer settles, great retention and some lacing. A quick swirl of the glass brings back some head.

Roasted malts, bits of charcoal, clover honey, sweet raisins and dates at first impression. Brown sugar, fruits, and chocolate as it opens up. Delicate oak and vanilla aromas in the background. This beer continued to develop more interesting aromas and really needs to sit for a few minutes to open up. Notes of tobacco and a bit of leather. Really complex beer, almost too complex to describe all the aromas that are coming at me.

Roasted and chocolate malts, smoke, charred oak, vanilla, and fuity alcohol in the finish. Sticky brown sugar residue on the lips after every sip. Just like the aroma this one continues to develop as it warms up. Chocolate fudge flavors in the finish, coffee notes as well.

Really smooth and the alcohol is incredibly well hidden, finishes just a tad thin.

This beer had such an intense aroma that I literally had to rinse off my glass at least 3 times to wash off the aroma and get ready for the next beer.

seaoflament, Mar 30, 2009
4.95/5  rDev +7.1%

Wow let's just start out by saying this beer is a mother effer to track down and worth the effort. I popped this open with Floydster and seaoflament and rallison after the Carlsbad Belgianfest at Pizza Port and after it got some air under it and I finally took my nose out of it..LOL..I took a sip and GIGITTY..the chocolate creamy fudge dessert i would pour this over ice cream. The flavors kept on coming with each sip.Almost at times switching from a great cigar beer to a leather presence. All the time maintaining it's chocolate creaminess. A lot of honey flavors coming through as well.This is one of those beer that you work so hard to get and it doesn't let you down. It truly does live up to it's hype and is worth the effort to acquire! Cheers, I'm glad you guys enjoyed the RARE treat as much as I did!

hrking, Mar 30, 2009
4.93/5  rDev +6.7%

Huge thanks to a very generous BA for the chance to finally taste this one.

2007 Vintage

Pours jet black with a mocha head and a tad bit of lacing as it makes its way down. The smell is incredibly complex and quite forceful--I could actually get a pretty good whiff of it upon opening the bottle even before pouring it into my glass. Nose consisted of nearly every imperial stout adjective imaginable with great notes of chocolate fudge, vanilla, espresso, burnt dark fruits, roasted malt, and a bit of barrel characteristics. The taste brought things forward even more, really just layering the complexities in a very intense manner.

The chocolate fudge really stood out to me at time, but in all honesty it was really difficult to pick out individual throughout, as everything was just so well integrated. In essence, all I can really say is that this is exactly what an imperial stout should taste like. I would say that for a beer with this incredible amount of flavor, the feel was a bit thin. However, the carbonation was really nice and let the flavors shine through. Drinkability was just out of this world. I can't wait until the day when I get to try this again.

Thorpe429, Oct 06, 2010
4.93/5  rDev +6.7%

This is a killer. A killer....

I was lucky enough to try a few bottles of this at the Akurat pub in Stockholm the last time I was there in 2010.

The different vintages each had their own excellent virtues about them.

A: This stuff is pitch black with maybe just a tiny bit of cola hue on the edges of the mocha head.

S: This smells fantastic dark black coffee grounds, chocolate, leather, and dark cane syrup dominate the aroma

T: Thick, heavy, and chewy coffee, chocolate, oak, vanilla, and spices with a bit of tobacco and leather for good measure.

M: Mouth coating thickness and syrup

O: Phenomenal. A benchmark of the style

francisweizen, Mar 27, 2011
4.93/5  rDev +6.7%

This was a long time want, generously shared by Shyne. 2009 vintage. Drunk in May 2012 to get warmed before the epic Sour&Bitter festival. Reviewed from notes.
A: Pours black, dark with faint brown glints. There is a small brown head which settles into a thin collar.
S: The smell is woody, oaky, on vanilla, bourbon and chocolate. Rich and gourmet scene.
T: The taste follows the nose with loads of dark chocolate and vanilla upfront. Next sips bring more roasted and toasted malts, with slightly burnt and toasted bread. A bit boozy on the aftertaste, but nothing disturbing.
M: Mouthfeel is sweet, oily, very smooth.
O: Very smooth and sweet, deep. I would land this again with great pleasure!

Fux, Apr 01, 2013
4.9/5  rDev +6.1%

Aww.. So wonderful, this beer is really brilliant and I think it lives up to it's reputation.

Dark-brown almost black color, and the bottle is so really cool too, looks kind of mystic.

The taste/smell is wonderful, big flavours of chocolate, fudge, vanilla, honey and some oak-character.

Great brew from Närke Kulturbryggeri! Luckily enough I have had the chance to drink this one twice!

Bananaman, Aug 18, 2008
4.9/5  rDev +6.1%

Bought a bottle of 2008 in September 2011 at Akkurat in Stockholm, Sweden.

A: Not as dark as I expected. Dark brown but thick, almost viscous. This looks like it will be a real mouthful.

Smell: Can't smell any of the alcohol.. Recovering from a cold but I know I can't smell alcohol but my senses are slightly muted. I get hints of chocolate, perhaps vanilla?

T: Excellent.. Even though I'm sick, this beer is drinking fantastic. I brought a KBS and the KBS in taste cannot stand up to the complexity of this beer.

Mouthfeel: Feels exactly like it looks. A real heavy swisher.

Overall: Love to drink this more but the price is pretty high. Still, quite amazing. Absolutely a delight to drink.

ChicagoJohn, Apr 19, 2012
4.9/5  rDev +6.1%

I purchased a bottle of this (2006 vintage) in July 2011 at Akkurat in Stockholm, Sweden for the staggering price of 375 kroner. It was a real bank breaker, but a treat as well. Reviewed from extensive notes. I was skeptical going into this beer, as I feel you have to be if people are claiming it's the best beer in the world (or even for the style).

Served from the bottle into a standard stemware glass (25cl) at Akkurat.

A: Pours a 2.5 finger head of beautiful brown-ruby colour, lovely cream, and brilliant thickness. Retention is excellent in general, but astounding for the high ABV. I love the unique colour of the creamy head. Solid nontransparent black colour. Very fucking appealing.

Sm: Chocolate, cream, raspberry (and maybe cherry) esters [but not "dark" esters as with Westvleteren 12], toffee, vanilla, slight roast, and another ester me broken nose can't identify (all apologies as usual, lads). The aroma is clean and of moderate strength. No alcohol comes through.

T: Chocolate, excellent subtle cream, vanilla, toffee truffle, some sort of fruit esters on the fringe, and cherry esters (which are dark and buried, but still contribute). No caramel. It's delightfully subtle and deep. Incredibly complex. I love it. No alcohol comes through in the taste. Some slight caramelized malt comes through on the finish, which feels a bit out of place, upsetting the near-perfect balance. Brilliantly and carefully built.

Mf: Amazingly soft and delicate. Silky smooth. Creamy, but not overly so. Perfectly complements the flavours. Really extraordinary and artful. On a level of sophistication rarely seen except perhaps in Westvleteren 12 and 8. Truly perfect.

Dr: No alcohol comes through. It's a treat. I love the complexity. It's meant to be savored. Lives up to the hype. I wouldn't call it a perfect beer but it's pretty damn close. There are only two noticeable flaws: the price (which doesn't affect my rating) and the caramelized malt on the finish, which is a touch out of place. I wish it were more available as well. I can't speculate on how the aging affects it, as the 2006 is the only one I've tried (and probably the only one I ever will). I was thinking while I was drinking it whether it was truly better than the Westvleteren 12 (if that's even a fair comparison), and I think it's very close, but ultimately this is better. I'd have to have them side by side for a true comparison (yeah right!).

kojevergas, Sep 15, 2011
4.9/5  rDev +6.1%

From 6/12/10 notes. Got to sample this side by side with the normal Stormaktsporter thanks to nimbleprop, huge thanks Mac! 2007 vintage.

a - Pours a dark brown color with an inch of tan head and light carbonation evident.

s - Smells of oak, chocolate, roasted malts, dark fruits, and vanilla. Hint of coffee.

t - Tastes of oak, chocolate, coffee, vanilla, and dark fruits.

m - Moderate to light carbonation and medium body. Smooth and very easy to drink.

d - As I mentioned in my Stormaktsporter review, I thought they were both very similiar, but amazing. I think the normal version has more dark fruits, while Kaggen! has more oak to it (which I prefered). Both are easily 2 of the best beers I have ever had, and I would love to try them again some time.

mdfb79, Jun 15, 2010
4.9/5  rDev +6.1%

There are moments in your beer life when you're fortunate enough to be in the right place at the right time. Last week I found myself sitting down with one of the brewers at Närke, who personally took me through his range of outstanding beers.
By far the best of a great bunch was the Stormaktsporter - a rare (unlabeled) bottle from 2005 that had been matured in a whisky cask for a couple of months.
I was told there's only a few hundred litres of this left in the world - just as well I managed to slip a bottle into my pocket before I left!

appearance - pours as thick as engine oil. Ink black body, with a thick, creamy earthy brown head. This beer demands your respect and attention.

Smell - soooo complex. Layer upon layer upon layer, with distinct vinous qualities, buttery chocolate, coffee, spirit-soaked fruits and oak wood.

Taste - Exceptional. Port wine, mixed with powerful dark fruits (a hint of liquorice?), vanilla toffee, chocolate, expresso coffee and lightly burnt sugar. You could scoop the head up and dollop it straight onto vanilla ice-cream!

Mouthfeel - despite its oily colour, the mouthfeel is decadently smooth, and totally in keeping with this style of beer. Top marks.

Drinkability - I'm torn between giving it a '5' or a '4.5' - it's such an overwhelmingly great beer that I tried almost everything to avoid reaching the end of the glass. Twisted logic I know - but with this stuff so hard to come by I really mean it!

I've really going to treasure my one 250ml bottle of Kaggens Stormaktsporter. Quite simply it's the best Swedish beer I have ever tasted.

Full-stop.

lagomswedish, Oct 14, 2006
4.9/5  rDev +6.1%

Bottle. 2007 vintage. An aroma of coffee, chocolate, vanilla, raisins, oak, fudge etc. that invites you to a wonderful taste that is perfectly balanced with no taste taking over the show. It feels quite different on the palate, however, much more carbonation that I expected but this isn’t a bad thing, quite the opposite. It looks beautiful in the glass, pitch black with a brown head. Quite possibly the best beer of all time.

Pundarquartis, May 04, 2011
4.88/5  rDev +5.6%

I knew 2010 was going to be one hell of a year for new and rare beer experiences. Never did I think that an encounter with these Swedish beasts would be in store.

Tasted on October 16th, side by side with the base Stormaktsporter. 2008 vintage.

Wonderful hiss as the cap was pried off. Pours a darkened tan head with tight bubbles. Not the darkest stout, almost the color of some porters or bocks when held to the light. Still a beauty in the glass. Could smell the deep char of the barrel from across the room. Sticking my nose in the glass and was overcome by rich oak and roasted grain aromas. Big oak driven vanilla, molasses and chocolate notes with a soft pepper coming out as well. No overly sweetened candy tones, nor soy sauced based astringency found. Just a wonderfully focused and completely distinct quality only found in the best of barrel aged stouts.

This was only the beginning.

Tasting this beer was a lesson in balance. The absolute clear expression of the barrel came through without overwhelming the base beer. No note of oxidation nor any of cloying sweetness. Hops played a very small roll, mostly in bitterness just like the malt. Similar in the nose, big vanilla and floral flavors of honeyed toast and milk chocolate. Not as much molasses as the regular Stomaktsporter, which I liked. Such a pleasure to sip again and again. As rich as some stouts can get and as whiskey forward as other barrel aged beers are, this one truly set the bar without being intimidating.

The labels for these beers are not that exciting on a visual level but their simplistic subtly were perfect in representing the inside nectar.

To age a beer in barrels is the most interesting form of a 'special beer' in my eyes. Many of my favorites are done this way. After having the Kaggen!, I may have to rethink what could be the best.

I don't know of another beer that comes off as being so balanced and yet so complex. Something so varied in flavor while having such subtly. If calling a 10% beer 'clean' makes sense, I want to say thats how this one came off. Truly a beer to be within the top 5 of barrel aged stouts, and in terms of sheer balance, one of the best beers being made today.

Just amazing.

Thanks again Jason (Popkas).

Bardwashrind, Oct 21, 2010
4.88/5  rDev +5.6%

A - Deep black with a small brown, foamy head. Settles fast with just a bit of lacing left that also disappears fairly fast.

S - Very rich. Upfront is chocolate and fudge like smells, quite sweet. There is a very slight touch of coffee and a fair amount of tobacco as well. Also can smell some vanilla. Overall fairly sweet but very nice to smell.

T - Follows the nose a bit. Upfront it is fairly sweet with a good amount of chocolate/fudge along with some molasses. A good amount of vanilla and other oaky flavors are also quite present here, along with just a bit of whisky like taste. Just a bit of coffee is there. Also a bit of dark fruit as well. A number of flavors that fade in and out and change with each sip, with the constant really being the chocolate and the vanilla/barrel tastes.

M - Medium body with moderate carbonation. Very smooth and creamy.

D - Easy to sip beer. This depends most on how you feel about sweeter tastes in beer. I really like the flavors it uses so I would gladly drink more. The ABV holds drinking multiples (but so does my wallet and availability).

Notes: Vintage 2006 - Drank 2010. A very enjoyable dessert like beer. Glad I was able to finish off my time in Sweden at Akkurat and finish of the night with one of these. Yes there are better beers, and definitely yes, you can get more value of beer for the cost of this, but it is a very nice beer that is worth trying if you have the time and money and are in Stockholm.

FreshHawk, Mar 27, 2010
4.88/5  rDev +5.6%

2008 vintage served at Ma Che Siete Venuti a Fà in Rome.

This is almost a religious experience being able to finally try Kaggen. Pours an intense dark hue with a two inch brown head and good lacing. Immediately get a big whiff of chocolate, vanilla and oak. Very aromatically pleasing. The taste follows the nose with roasted malts, dark chocolate, vanilla and bourbon. Just a wonderfully smooth integration of all the elements as you sip on this and it feels as great in the mouth as going down. The worst part about this beer is that it comes to an end after 25cl. An absolute classic brew that I am grateful to have tried.

metalgdog, Oct 12, 2012