1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Kaggen! Stormaktsporter - Närke Kulturbryggeri AB

Kaggen! StormaktsporterKaggen! Stormaktsporter

Närke Kulturbryggeri AB visit their website

Russian Imperial Stout |  10.00% ABV

The cask matured version of Stormaktsporter.

(Beer added by: baggio on 05-14-2008)
View: Beers (30) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 161 | Reviews: 94 | Show All Ratings:
sprinkle

4.63/5  rDev +0.2%

Does it live up to the hype? In a word...YES! I wish I could be sipping on this at my local pub! This beer pours pretty black with a little bit thicker deep tan head than the regular Imp. Stout. Rich molassis, smokey, toasty with a hint of alc. but not offputting. Rich chocolate malts, deep tastes of bakers chocolate and slight hazelnut flavors. This brew is pretty round, not the biggest brew but this beer is focused on the finesse and that it has. Very silky with fine tannins and well intergrated oak. Finish lasts for minutes. '05 vintage

08-25-2009 12:53:30 | More by sprinkle
corby112

2005 vintage in bottle sampled at Akkurat in Stockholm, Sweden. Pours pitch black with thin dark brown foam head. Aroma consists of roasted chocolate maltiness, coffee, toffee, caramel and loads of tart oakiness and bourbon. This beer is extremely smooth and quaffable. Roasty flavor up front with smooth creamy center and sweet bitter dry finish. Flavor dominated by excellent oak and bourbon flavors that are balanced with chocolate, coffee, toffee, caramel and a dry hop finish. Excellent! Lives up to the hype and the $65 price tag.

08-19-2009 23:33:28 | More by corby112
largadeer

4.83/5  rDev +4.5%

MasterSki was kind enough to cap off a weekend of drunken debauchery by sharing this one. Thanks, Alex. 2007 vintage.

Into a tulip, Kaggen pours black and opaque with a small but lasting dark tan head. A gentle swirl coats the glass with oily legs and a few wispy bubbles. Sticking my olfactory receptor into the glass reveals aromas of chocolate cake, honey, caramel and whiskey. This beer is brewed with heather, and you can tell; it has a slight gruit-like quality. Further inspection brings out a light fruity tartness, not unlike aged Port, and a hint of anise and vanilla. On the tongue I get even more fruit than the aroma suggests, lightly tart and lightly sweet, somewhat vinous in quality. Chocolate, caramel and vanilla follow with barrel tannins and a pleasant and subtle roasty astringency balancing the sweetness. Whiskey is present throughout, but the mellowness is amazing; this beer has no noticeable heat. The mouthfeel is velvety and full, but not American full-bodied; I could actually drink a pint of this without worrying about rising insulin levels. Just an all-around exceptional beer, far exceeding my expectations and well worth the exorbitant hype.

08-17-2009 17:36:35 | More by largadeer
ricke

4.78/5  rDev +3.5%

2007 vintage.

A: Pitch black, opaque and viscous. A couple of centimeters of beige head settles into some lacings.

S: The smell is wonderful. Sweet roasted malts with very smooth bourbon notes, oak, lots of dark chocolate and some dark fruits. Pleasant vanilla aromas and honey. The alcohol is noticeable, but well integrated. A gentle barrel-aged character. The smell is very complex and perfectly layered, everything is in its right place.

T: The taste lives up to my high expectations. All the great flavors of an oak-aged imperial stout are present, but presented in a way few if any other beers I have sampled can match. Lovely sweet and thick malts with a prominent yet subtle roasted character. Lots of chocolate and fudge, and notes of dark fruit. The bourbon flavors gather momentum in the middle and delivers big notes of vanilla and some almonds. Honey, burnt sugar and molasses add another sweet layer to this incredibly complex beer. The very long finish is outstanding with some bitterness, warming alcohol, notes of licorice, boozy raisins, roasted malts and everlasting bourbon notes. The flavors in the mouth is really great, but the finish is just unbelievable - truly amazing.

M: Full-bodied, thick and creamy. The carbonation livens up the beer and does a great job at spreading all the flavors in the mouth.

D: This is really as good as the rumor has it. It's tasty, complex and amazingly balanced. But the pièce de résistance is the tight fit between the flavors and aromas, and the way they present themselves in a perfect flow without any cracks. From start to finish, there isn't anything that seems out of place, nothing ought to have been done in another way.

08-02-2009 12:49:25 | More by ricke
MasterSki

4.88/5  rDev +5.6%

2006 version, purchased at Oliver Twist. I've got the '07 waiting for the right tasting event back home. The bottle was given to me WAY too cold, so I let it warm for a bit.

A - First, I don't generally dig snifters for my RIS consumption - they generally reduce head volume by quite a bit, and my favorite brews don't benefit much from the aroma "retention". In any case, it had a late-rising dark mocha, even slightly red, half-finger of foam that dissipated pretty quickly to a ring with a few bubbles at the surface and some "legs". Pitch black - there's some pretty lace that's generated with each sip but it quickly slides down the edges of the glass and back into the abyss. It actually looked a lot like Dave's (d0b) pour of the Cigar City 110K+OT in my Darkness snifter. I'm going to give it the benefit of the doubt, but if I get subpar head volume in a different vessel next time I may dock this a half point.

S - Sweet Jesus - this thing smells epic. Huge whiskey, vanilla, oak, dark fruits, honey, roasted malts, tobacco, semi-sweet chocolate, coffee, molasses, and probably all the other descriptors used by my reviewing colleagues. The closest comparison I can think of was the incredible BA Decadence '07, but this brew brings a slight sour note to the table that is almost a little reminiscent of the most recent Perseguidor (batch 4). I'm not sure how much time this brew sits in the barrel, or whether Swedish whiskey is more conducive to "bugs" but it's a wonderful addition that adds a touch of depth and richness that can be lacking in other BA beers. There's not a trace of astringent alcohol either.

T - OK - you can pretty much taste everything listed in the smell, as there is really no drop-off in complexity. Whiskey, vanilla, wood, bittersweet chocolate, dark fruit, roastiness - they're all here. Near the back end of the palate it fleetingly moves into BA barleywine territory somehow, with the burnt molasses flavor in there, but then it finishes with huge tannins and oak - like on par with Toronado 20th here. I'm at a loss here, because I keep picking up slight sour beer elements that my fellow colleagues didn't mention - perhaps this is caused by the age, or the barrel used? In any case, it's as if someone took an amazing BA beer like Decadence and spiked it with a touch of Consecration or something.

M - There's a little heat to go with the full silky smooth body and lots of stickiness. The residual feel is that "I've been licking a piece of wood" kind of thing that shows up in barrel-aged brews. Fairly mild carbonation. No complaints here.

D - This is the only place I can really knock this brew. I was worried the 250ml bottle wouldn't be enough for me to really enjoy and reflect on, but it was plenty. The alcohol is well hidden, but the buzz creeps up pretty fast. Also, the heavy tannic finish and the somewhat mind-blowing flavor depth make this a true evening-ender. But what an evening!

It's not very often that a brew comes along that changes my perception of what a style can do. I'm not sure if the slight sour notes were intentional, or a by-product of the barrel aging process, but any beer that marries the best of brews like BA Decadence, Parabola, and Bell's BB Double/Cream Expo blend with stuff like Toronado 20th and Persguidor opens up my mind and palate to the amazing possibilities of beer. I understand this stuff is hard to get, but it should be tried be every beer lover at least once.

07-09-2009 22:25:44 | More by MasterSki
Floydster

25 cl bottle shared by hrking/Bonus Beer Bob, it was great meeting you man and it was awesome of you to bring this all the way from Indiana in your suitcase, much respect to the man on the radio, my guess it was served at 55-60 degrees, consumed on 3/28/09 and reviewed from notes, poured into a Rader snifter I bought that day from the Pizza Port Bottle Shop, I will start off by saying that I could not find a single thing wrong with this beer, it was flawless, the only thing I was skeptical at first about was the aroma but when it opened up it was one of the best things I have ever smelled, the color of this beauty was black and absolutely no light going through, dark and thick, one inch creamy tan head that has some incredible legs, I mean after ten minutes and a soft swirl the lacing stuck to the side of the glass for a long time each and every swirl, great retention on it too, one of the best looking beers you will ever see, aroma is super complex and you get something different each time, it consists of rich fudge, tons of milk chocolate, an unparalleled honey scent, cream, espresso, sweet berries, vanilla, light roasted malt, brown sygar, tobacco, leather, dark fruits, wood, caramel, toffee, and mild molasses, flavor starts off with a wonderful honey taste, some plums and roasted chocolate in the middle, finish is super creamy and rich, wow is this dessert or beer, well actually it is a Baltic Porter that puts all others I have had to shame, when it warms up even more it really opens up and its sugary presence balances perfectly with the roasted notes, the vanilla backbone and soft oak is unreal too, such complexity but so simple at the same time, you are not going to drink this beer and be knocked down by its flavor, that is part of what makes it so good, its subtle and unique at the same time, the mixture of cocoa and honey is something that I have always enjoyed in beer but this one took it to another level, the flavor of this lingers very well without much warmth at all, sweetness balances out the bitter and so on, I could probably write a novel about this beer, tasted outstanding, its mouthfeel is thick and rich but also thin enough to make this extremely smooth and drinkable at the same time, also roasty, sweet, tangy, and creamy, medium to full bodied, taste lingers for a very long time, could have drank four of these little bottles easy and that is saying a lot for a beer that is ten percent, goes down incredibly easy, smooth every sip and never detect enough alcohol to even notice it, kept it on my tongue for fifteen to twenty seconds and it was barely hot, that is quite the accomplishment for a beer with a double digit ABV, this stuff can be consumed heavily for its strength, this is a Swedish treat I will never forget, I did not want to give this beer a perfect score, believe me and I tried to talk myself out of it, but it is entirely worthy of all its hype, it is masterfully crafted, I did not think I would ever get to try it but I am sure glad I did, I hope to trade for more in the future but I am not sure that is too likely, hope to drink again eventually though, most recommended, this brewery really needs to bottle more of this and allow the Shelton Brothers to bring it into the United States, perfection!

03-31-2009 01:29:51 | More by Floydster
hrking

Indiana

4.95/5  rDev +7.1%

Wow let's just start out by saying this beer is a mother effer to track down and worth the effort. I popped this open with Floydster and seaoflament and rallison after the Carlsbad Belgianfest at Pizza Port and after it got some air under it and I finally took my nose out of it..LOL..I took a sip and GIGITTY..the chocolate creamy fudge dessert i would pour this over ice cream. The flavors kept on coming with each sip.Almost at times switching from a great cigar beer to a leather presence. All the time maintaining it's chocolate creaminess. A lot of honey flavors coming through as well.This is one of those beer that you work so hard to get and it doesn't let you down. It truly does live up to it's hype and is worth the effort to acquire! Cheers, I'm glad you guys enjoyed the RARE treat as much as I did!

03-30-2009 19:22:14 | More by hrking
seaoflament

4.95/5  rDev +7.1%

A huge thanks to Bonus Beer Bob (hrking) for sharing this rare and incredible beer. I am truly honored and thankful to have this beer for my 400th review. This beer was the first beer of the insane "SeaofFloydster" epic tasting that took place after the Pizza Port Belgian Beer Party on March 28th.

I heard from a couple of people how great this beer is and that it's worth hunting down...I tried to be critical and could care less about hype but this beer is one of the few that really exceeded my expectations.

Pours dark with ½ inch of mocha colored foam. A thin ring forms after the beer settles, great retention and some lacing. A quick swirl of the glass brings back some head.

Roasted malts, bits of charcoal, clover honey, sweet raisins and dates at first impression. Brown sugar, fruits, and chocolate as it opens up. Delicate oak and vanilla aromas in the background. This beer continued to develop more interesting aromas and really needs to sit for a few minutes to open up. Notes of tobacco and a bit of leather. Really complex beer, almost too complex to describe all the aromas that are coming at me.

Roasted and chocolate malts, smoke, charred oak, vanilla, and fuity alcohol in the finish. Sticky brown sugar residue on the lips after every sip. Just like the aroma this one continues to develop as it warms up. Chocolate fudge flavors in the finish, coffee notes as well.

Really smooth and the alcohol is incredibly well hidden, finishes just a tad thin.

This beer had such an intense aroma that I literally had to rinse off my glass at least 3 times to wash off the aroma and get ready for the next beer.

03-30-2009 04:52:00 | More by seaoflament
rallison

4.95/5  rDev +7.1%

Thank you Bonus Beer Bob for the chance to try this incredibly rare beer. While I've had it once before, this was the only time I've had more than a couple of sips, and enough to properly wrap my head around the beer. Thanks dude.

Pours a thick, viscous, oily black. Tan, creamy head. Beautiful.

Chocolate, honey, creamy espresso in the smell. Notes of brown sugar and vanilla. Complex. Wonderful. Inviting.

Huge, rich, creamy chocolate, brown sugar, tobacco, dark fruits, oak all slowly unveil themselves in the taste. Caramel and vanilla notes. Honey carries through from the smell as well and provides a very nice, unique note in this beer.

Super rich, super creamy mouthfeel with virtually no alcohol heat. Excellent.

Extremely drinkable.

Every once in a while, a beer lives up to the hype. This is one of those. Incredibly complex, with layers of complexity that are slowly peeled back, sip after sip. All this, and no noticeable flaws to dampen the enjoyment. Awesome beer. Keg for my home, please? Ha, I wish. So, in summary, this beer sucks. Don't seek it out. Avoid at all costs. /sarcasm.

03-30-2009 03:23:30 | More by rallison
tjthresh

Indiana

4.3/5  rDev -6.9%

Pours dark roast coffee black, with an oily looking texture, and what little head that could be conjured up was brown with a reddish tint. Deep rich aroma, of oak, bourbon, wet tobacco, asphalt, coffee, and charred marshmallow. The flavor comes over like an alcoholic cafe mocha. Pretty nice. On top of that I get some anise, bourbon, oak, vanilla, and lingering bitterness and alcohol. The mouthfeel and body are substantial, but not overwhelming. Oily and mouth filling. Long dry gritty finish. Believe the hype.

03-19-2009 23:56:59 | More by tjthresh
TexasStout

4.97/5  rDev +7.6%

Appear: Poured pitch black with a tiny, light brown head.

Smell: Nose was of roast malt and oak with some bourbon. As it warmed, the aromas enhanced to include some coffee and chocolate.

Taste: Taste was incredible. Delicious chocolate, fruit, vanilla and bourbon.

Mouthfeel: The texture was chewy, yet there was no harshness here. Slight alcohol warmth. Very complex.

drinkability: This was the best tasting beer I have ever had, by far. Truly fantastic. Give me a supply of these and I would never drink anything else again. The perfect beer.

BTW, this is classified here as a porter, but it is definitely an Imperial Stout.

01-29-2009 04:44:26 | More by TexasStout
ggaughan

4.33/5  rDev -6.3%

The bottle I sampled was a 2005 bottle that my cousin krkearney shared with me around the Christmas holiday, thanks Keith! The beer poured a deep black hole color with a deep brown head that runs away quickly. The nose had some wonderful chocolate and caramel notes. The taste has a definite bitter chocolate taste with some dried fruit notes and a great malty backbone. I am glad I finally got a chance to try one of the Narke beers.

01-06-2009 20:57:05 | More by ggaughan
badbeer

Iowa

3.9/5  rDev -15.6%

Black with a tan head, spotty lacing; head recedes to a ring around the glass. Chocolate, roasty coffee, graham cracker, and some ash. Taste is roasty, maple, molasses, vanilla, and seemed to have a fair amount of earthy hops too. Medium carbonation and medium body. Pretty good beer, but not really the amazing beer it's made out to be. Thanks to pepsican for sharing. I'd be interested in trying this again, but not for the price this commands in trades.

01-03-2009 04:11:43 | More by badbeer
Bananaman

4.9/5  rDev +6.1%

Aww.. So wonderful, this beer is really brilliant and I think it lives up to it's reputation.

Dark-brown almost black color, and the bottle is so really cool too, looks kind of mystic.

The taste/smell is wonderful, big flavours of chocolate, fudge, vanilla, honey and some oak-character.

Great brew from Närke Kulturbryggeri! Luckily enough I have had the chance to drink this one twice!

08-18-2008 10:25:34 | More by Bananaman
Ljunkan

Sweden

Appereance: Dark brown, almost black color

Smell: Wonderful chocolate/vanilla smell, extremely pleasant. I could smell this all day long.

Taste: Even better! Chocolate, caramel/toffee, honey and vanilla with some oaky tones. There's also some fruit behind all this.

Mouthfeel thick, creamy and smooth... extremely good.

Drinkability: goes down pretty easy for this kind of beer. Nothing to drink many of but one bottle is no problem. I drank one by myself the first time I tried it, and the second time I shared it with a friend.

This is the best beer I've ever tried and I hope oneday I will find it again.

06-25-2008 11:00:20 | More by Ljunkan
Crosling

Colorado

4.63/5  rDev +0.2%

Bottle, 2005, Akkurat, Stockholm, Sweden. Inky black pour, opaque, with a lasting filmy head of dark brown foam. Aroma is multi-dimensional and incredibly impressive, with hints of tobacco leaves, honey, every decadent dessert (truffle and fudge cake,) and a light touch of whiskey. Wow, what a nose. Flavor is incredible, but doesn't have the expression, definition or finish of the regular Stormaktsporter. Flavors of chocolate and caramel, toffee and cappuccino, while the barrel contributes a touch of whiskey. A world class beer, but I prefer the regular Stormaktsporter.

06-11-2008 14:52:31 | More by Crosling
baggio

4.53/5  rDev -1.9%

Finally got to try this, very hyped, beer and for an affordable price at 30USD for a, approx, 8.5oz bottle :-)

A: Dark dark dark red with a creamy beige head.

S: Oak, Vanilla, Honey, Portwine, Fruit

T: Bitter chocolate, Vanilla, Cream, Brown sugar, Cherries.

M: Smooth as silk but liquid is very thick and creamy. Low carbonation.

This is, hands down, one of the best beers i've ever had the pleasure to sample. Very filling tho and sharing a small bottle among 2 people were just perfect. If you can ever get hold of this little beauty, do not hesitate. Highly recommended!

05-14-2008 07:00:53 | More by baggio
Photo of

4.65/5  rDev +0.6%

Enjoyed a 2005 vintage at The Rover, looked like an 11oz. bottle. You have to ask for it, as it isn't really displayed.

Opaque black, viscous fluid. Large dark tan head. Head faded fast, but was easily stirred up again. Great legs.

Scents of raisins, blackstrap molasses and ginger bread. Most often, I get port when I smell a stout, this time it was more like scotch - maybe the barrel aging? Alcohol popped up occasionally, but not too much so. Bittersweet chocolate.

Taste was vanilla and smoke. Throw in some cherries, dark of course. Here comes the scotch. Now a bit of licorice. I am really not doing this beer the justice it deserves....
Finish me off with just a bit of hop bitterness at the end.

Light bodied (just kidding). Heavy as they come, no doubt. Hard to figure out carbonation, it seems low, but beer comes across as almost creamy. Probably more carbonation there than you can easily perceive with a beer of this heft. Alcohol warming starts to make it's appearance very quickly.

Overall, a fantastic beer. Shame that it's production is only 500 liters annually and that it doesn't appear to make it out of Sweden.

12-08-2006 20:41:25 | More by
lagomswedish

4.9/5  rDev +6.1%

There are moments in your beer life when you're fortunate enough to be in the right place at the right time. Last week I found myself sitting down with one of the brewers at Närke, who personally took me through his range of outstanding beers.
By far the best of a great bunch was the Stormaktsporter - a rare (unlabeled) bottle from 2005 that had been matured in a whisky cask for a couple of months.
I was told there's only a few hundred litres of this left in the world - just as well I managed to slip a bottle into my pocket before I left!

appearance - pours as thick as engine oil. Ink black body, with a thick, creamy earthy brown head. This beer demands your respect and attention.

Smell - soooo complex. Layer upon layer upon layer, with distinct vinous qualities, buttery chocolate, coffee, spirit-soaked fruits and oak wood.

Taste - Exceptional. Port wine, mixed with powerful dark fruits (a hint of liquorice?), vanilla toffee, chocolate, expresso coffee and lightly burnt sugar. You could scoop the head up and dollop it straight onto vanilla ice-cream!

Mouthfeel - despite its oily colour, the mouthfeel is decadently smooth, and totally in keeping with this style of beer. Top marks.

Drinkability - I'm torn between giving it a '5' or a '4.5' - it's such an overwhelmingly great beer that I tried almost everything to avoid reaching the end of the glass. Twisted logic I know - but with this stuff so hard to come by I really mean it!

I've really going to treasure my one 250ml bottle of Kaggens Stormaktsporter. Quite simply it's the best Swedish beer I have ever tasted.

Full-stop.