Kaggen! Stormaktsporter - Närke Kulturbryggeri AB

Närke Kulturbryggeri AB visit their website
Sweden

Russian Imperial Stout |  10.00% ABV

Beer added by: baggio on 05-14-2008

The cask matured version of Stormaktsporter.
firstprev| 26-50 | 51-75 | 76-100  | next → last
4.95/5  rDev +6.9%

Wow let's just start out by saying this beer is a mother effer to track down and worth the effort. I popped this open with Floydster and seaoflament and rallison after the Carlsbad Belgianfest at Pizza Port and after it got some air under it and I finally took my nose out of it..LOL..I took a sip and GIGITTY..the chocolate creamy fudge dessert i would pour this over ice cream. The flavors kept on coming with each sip.Almost at times switching from a great cigar beer to a leather presence. All the time maintaining it's chocolate creaminess. A lot of honey flavors coming through as well.This is one of those beer that you work so hard to get and it doesn't let you down. It truly does live up to it's hype and is worth the effort to acquire! Cheers, I'm glad you guys enjoyed the RARE treat as much as I did! (813 characters)

Appereance: Dark brown, almost black color

Smell: Wonderful chocolate/vanilla smell, extremely pleasant. I could smell this all day long.

Taste: Even better! Chocolate, caramel/toffee, honey and vanilla with some oaky tones. There's also some fruit behind all this.

Mouthfeel thick, creamy and smooth... extremely good.

Drinkability: goes down pretty easy for this kind of beer. Nothing to drink many of but one bottle is no problem. I drank one by myself the first time I tried it, and the second time I shared it with a friend.

This is the best beer I've ever tried and I hope oneday I will find it again. (612 characters)

4.38/5  rDev -5.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

said to be the rarest. had a friend ship to me from the brewery, strong powerful malty base with enough hop to round it out to a nice robust finish. exceptional stout. with no ego i can say its good but not the best, definitely worth the drink but by no means shell out your beer collection to grab it (301 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +2.6%

2008 vintage bottle (perfect for my 300th rating). What a wonderful dark brown pour with a frothy brown head. Like the Stormaktsporter this also has that great oily lacing. The nose is enticing with oak, vanilla, and fig aromas. This is a thick chewy stout which has fantastic balance considering how big the roasted malt body is. Flavors of dark bitter chocolate, oak, and vanilla compliment the bold roasted malt notes..
Update. Just tasted the 2007 vintage. It was starting to fade... (487 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +1.5%

Small 2009 bottle courtesy joes! Opaque black pour with a frothy brown head that fades to a ring but sticks. Complex aroma of fudge, char, oak, bourbon, and a touch of alcohol. Wonderful flavor loaded with fudge, big smokey/char character, a lingering hint of coconut, definite oak, and more. Unique and quite good.

Small 2008 bottle courtesy joes. Opaque black pour with a small brown head that sticks. Huge BA aroma on this one with buttery vanilla, bourbon, fudge, and more. Rich flavor displaying BA characteristics with lingering roast and a touch of ash. Upped my rating a bit! (584 characters)

3.73/5  rDev -19.4%

06 version. Thanks to hopscotch and the person who wished to be nameless for samples. Black pour with a small tan head. Aroma was coffee, caramel, chocolate, anise, and maple syrup. Burnt coffee flavors, anise, chocolate, roasted malt, peat/bog, as well. Full bodied finish with sharp carbonation. Finish was quite long and complex but man this beer is flawed for the score. (374 characters)

4.58/5  rDev -1.1%

Does it live up to the hype? In a word...YES! I wish I could be sipping on this at my local pub! This beer pours pretty black with a little bit thicker deep tan head than the regular Imp. Stout. Rich molassis, smokey, toasty with a hint of alc. but not offputting. Rich chocolate malts, deep tastes of bakers chocolate and slight hazelnut flavors. This brew is pretty round, not the biggest brew but this beer is focused on the finesse and that it has. Very silky with fine tannins and well intergrated oak. Finish lasts for minutes. '05 vintage (545 characters)

poured a deep dark color with a coffee creme brown head. Nose is coffee,bourbon, oak, chocolate, roasted malts. Taste is everything in the nose with hints of dark fruits, molasses and some balancing hop bitterness. Hints of soy sauce as well. The aftertaste is full and round, creamy even. The best i ever had in a stout. Mouthfeel is thick creamy and smooth. Overall: even better than the regular, the best out there. (418 characters)

4.35/5  rDev -6%

Bottled. Pours pitch black with a little brown head. Nose of raisins, prunes and burned malt. Flavour of caramel, smoke, vanilla, dark malts, dried fruits, dark chocolate and notes of honey. It is full bodied has a oily texture and a soft carbonation. Long malty finish. It is a very enjoyable brew. (299 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +0.4%

A 2005 bottle shared with friends at the Rover, Gothenburg, sometime 2009. Served from bottle in tasting glasses.

Pours jet black, with a brownish head, little lacing.

The smell is what you expect from a beer like this, chocolate, coffee, oak but in a very complex composition. I'm sure there are lots of other aromas in there that I couldn't make out at the time.

Oh my god. It really lives up to the hype. Really the same tastes as smells, but more powerful and a hint of fruitiness. Feels great in the mouth, smooth with a nice sweetness on the end.

It seemed very articulate and matured, and as we were drinking the 2005 vintage that's not surprising, but I found it refined in a special, complex way that makes me long for the next time I get to taste this beer. (775 characters)

4.87/5  rDev +5.2%

I knew 2010 was going to be one hell of a year for new and rare beer experiences. Never did I think that an encounter with these Swedish beasts would be in store.

Tasted on October 16th, side by side with the base Stormaktsporter. 2008 vintage.

Wonderful hiss as the cap was pried off. Pours a darkened tan head with tight bubbles. Not the darkest stout, almost the color of some porters or bocks when held to the light. Still a beauty in the glass. Could smell the deep char of the barrel from across the room. Sticking my nose in the glass and was overcome by rich oak and roasted grain aromas. Big oak driven vanilla, molasses and chocolate notes with a soft pepper coming out as well. No overly sweetened candy tones, nor soy sauced based astringency found. Just a wonderfully focused and completely distinct quality only found in the best of barrel aged stouts.

This was only the beginning.

Tasting this beer was a lesson in balance. The absolute clear expression of the barrel came through without overwhelming the base beer. No note of oxidation nor any of cloying sweetness. Hops played a very small roll, mostly in bitterness just like the malt. Similar in the nose, big vanilla and floral flavors of honeyed toast and milk chocolate. Not as much molasses as the regular Stomaktsporter, which I liked. Such a pleasure to sip again and again. As rich as some stouts can get and as whiskey forward as other barrel aged beers are, this one truly set the bar without being intimidating.

The labels for these beers are not that exciting on a visual level but their simplistic subtly were perfect in representing the inside nectar.

To age a beer in barrels is the most interesting form of a 'special beer' in my eyes. Many of my favorites are done this way. After having the Kaggen!, I may have to rethink what could be the best.

I don't know of another beer that comes off as being so balanced and yet so complex. Something so varied in flavor while having such subtly. If calling a 10% beer 'clean' makes sense, I want to say thats how this one came off. Truly a beer to be within the top 5 of barrel aged stouts, and in terms of sheer balance, one of the best beers being made today.

Just amazing.

Thanks again Jason (Popkas). (2,245 characters)

4.5/5  rDev -2.8%

With picnic tables full of incredible beer, Craig stands up from the table and exclaims, "you’ll want to follow me". I agreed, and without hesitation we were off. The bottle wasn’t half way out of the bag and I could not believe my eyes.

The pour was black and sticks to the glass. A small tan head was visible, but I am interested in how this smells and tastes.

The aroma was worth the wait: chocolate, dark fruits, vanilla, coffee, molasses, and licorice.

Can the flavor back up the nose? Yes, Kaggen was an awesome complex brew that lived up to the hype. Dark chocolate, caramel, vanilla, coffee, molasses, dark fruits, subtle wood hints, licorice, and well integrated alcohol.

Full bodied, chewy, and smooth. Thanks to Craig (cgarvieuk) for sharing this incredible beer. (785 characters)

4.59/5  rDev -0.9%

Thanks to AskOfficerFriendly for sharing! Vintage 2006. Dark pour with a thin chestnut colored head. Aroma consists of honey, and roasted malts. Full bodied & a creamy mouth-feel. Complex flavors Vanilla, Chocolate, roasted malts, coffee and dark fruits. Dry finish! Wow what a solid beer (288 characters)

4.9/5  rDev +5.8%

There are moments in your beer life when you're fortunate enough to be in the right place at the right time. Last week I found myself sitting down with one of the brewers at Närke, who personally took me through his range of outstanding beers.
By far the best of a great bunch was the Stormaktsporter - a rare (unlabeled) bottle from 2005 that had been matured in a whisky cask for a couple of months.
I was told there's only a few hundred litres of this left in the world - just as well I managed to slip a bottle into my pocket before I left!

appearance - pours as thick as engine oil. Ink black body, with a thick, creamy earthy brown head. This beer demands your respect and attention.

Smell - soooo complex. Layer upon layer upon layer, with distinct vinous qualities, buttery chocolate, coffee, spirit-soaked fruits and oak wood.

Taste - Exceptional. Port wine, mixed with powerful dark fruits (a hint of liquorice?), vanilla toffee, chocolate, expresso coffee and lightly burnt sugar. You could scoop the head up and dollop it straight onto vanilla ice-cream!

Mouthfeel - despite its oily colour, the mouthfeel is decadently smooth, and totally in keeping with this style of beer. Top marks.

Drinkability - I'm torn between giving it a '5' or a '4.5' - it's such an overwhelmingly great beer that I tried almost everything to avoid reaching the end of the glass. Twisted logic I know - but with this stuff so hard to come by I really mean it!

I've really going to treasure my one 250ml bottle of Kaggens Stormaktsporter. Quite simply it's the best Swedish beer I have ever tasted.

Full-stop. (1,622 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +5.4%

Bottle. 2007 vintage. An aroma of coffee, chocolate, vanilla, raisins, oak, fudge etc. that invites you to a wonderful taste that is perfectly balanced with no taste taking over the show. It feels quite different on the palate, however, much more carbonation that I expected but this isn’t a bad thing, quite the opposite. It looks beautiful in the glass, pitch black with a brown head. Quite possibly the best beer of all time. (430 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +5.4%

Bought a bottle of 2008 in September 2011 at Akkurat in Stockholm, Sweden.

A: Not as dark as I expected. Dark brown but thick, almost viscous. This looks like it will be a real mouthful.

Smell: Can't smell any of the alcohol.. Recovering from a cold but I know I can't smell alcohol but my senses are slightly muted. I get hints of chocolate, perhaps vanilla?

T: Excellent.. Even though I'm sick, this beer is drinking fantastic. I brought a KBS and the KBS in taste cannot stand up to the complexity of this beer.

Mouthfeel: Feels exactly like it looks. A real heavy swisher.

Overall: Love to drink this more but the price is pretty high. Still, quite amazing. Absolutely a delight to drink. (699 characters)

4.55/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Vintage 2008

Apparence : Black, compact head.

Smell : Dark fruits (blackcurrant), chocolate, vanilla, coffee, woody notes, vinous, spicy... Wow wow wow, really GREAT !

Taste : More or less the same, very long finish, incredible !

Mouthfeel : Creamy, full bodied, low carbonation, Perfect !

Drinkability : So Drinkable, where is alcohol ?

A true Monster ! (360 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +7.3%

Appear: Poured pitch black with a tiny, light brown head.

Smell: Nose was of roast malt and oak with some bourbon. As it warmed, the aromas enhanced to include some coffee and chocolate.

Taste: Taste was incredible. Delicious chocolate, fruit, vanilla and bourbon.

Mouthfeel: The texture was chewy, yet there was no harshness here. Slight alcohol warmth. Very complex.

drinkability: This was the best tasting beer I have ever had, by far. Truly fantastic. Give me a supply of these and I would never drink anything else again. The perfect beer.

BTW, this is classified here as a porter, but it is definitely an Imperial Stout. (632 characters)

250ml Bottle First try in 2009 a 2006 Vintage. I can’t deny that I had very high expectations and really wanted for it to fulfill them. Did it ? Hell yeah ! 2006 Bottle, served in a wonderful De Molen snifter. It pours pitch black, thick and oily in the glass creating a small but wonderful deep brown head. The wonderful roasted aroma, with the coffee and chocolate notes and a slight hint of vanilla, tar and wood. So complex and as it warms it becomes even better But nothing can prepare you for the taste that is about to follow. The roasted malts, coffee, chocolate, wood notes, some distant ripe fruit. So many flavors , so wonderfully balanced together. What really amazes me though is how easily it drinks despite it’s ABV, you feel like you can have (in my dreams) many many glasses, which is rarely the case with big Imp stouts. I can’t give it anything but a perfect score and I really doubt that I will do this for another beer (certainly hope so though :D ).

Having had this on many more occasions and in many vintages, my original rating hasn’t changed a bit. i wish I could drink this every day. (1,120 characters)

firstprev| 26-50 | 51-75 | 76-100  | next → last