Kaggen! Stormaktsporter - Närke Kulturbryggeri AB

Kaggen! StormaktsporterKaggen! Stormaktsporter

Wants: 1,329
Närke Kulturbryggeri AB visit their website

Russian Imperial Stout |  10.00% ABV

The cask matured version of Stormaktsporter.

(Beer added by: baggio on 05-14-2008)
ucusty

4.58/5  rDev -0.9%

Thanks to AskOfficerFriendly for sharing! Vintage 2006. Dark pour with a thin chestnut colored head. Aroma consists of honey, and roasted malts. Full bodied & a creamy mouth-feel. Complex flavors Vanilla, Chocolate, roasted malts, coffee and dark fruits. Dry finish! Wow what a solid beer

05-29-2010 16:04:21 | More by ucusty
HopHead84

4.6/5  rDev -0.4%

I'm not one for landmark reviews, but I must point out that this is review 450 proper. After the site crash last weekend I've found myself with one extra phantom review. So, review 450, here goes.

2007 vintage. Thanks Masterski! Consumed on 10/10/2009 with Overlord and Masterski at our Pre Lost Abbey Sinners/Saints dinner tasting and poured into a snifter. It appears black with a one finger light brown head which dissipates in a minute and leaves behind just a little lacing.

What immediately strikes me about the nose is a distinct smoky or peaty character imparted by the single malt barrels. I've had the 2007 vintage of the regular Stormaktsporter and it's amazing how much smokiness Kaggen took from the barrels in a matter of 3 months. The malt is charred with strong notes of dark chocolate cake, molasses, dark fruits, and a little vanilla. I detect licorice and well integrated coffee. The honey is unmistakable.

The flavor opens up roasted, toasted, and peaty with that same chocolate cake. Honey becomes evident midpalate and adds a touch of sweetness. The malt is charred with moderate booze, dark fruits, oak, and some molasses. The beer is tannic with notes of anise and a little caramel. Booze is well hidden throughout. The finish is a recapitulation and leaves me wanting more.

The beer is full bodied with low-moderate carbonation and a smooth, sticky, viscous, and creamy mouthfeel. Thanks again, Alex, for this rare treat that I thought I might never try.

10-12-2009 04:20:15 | More by HopHead84
rhinos00

Colorado

4.6/5  rDev -0.4%

Monumental thanks to Frank for giving me the opportunity to try this beer. Split amongst friends. Poured from a bottle into a wine glass. 2007 Vintage.

A- Pours a black coffee color with tan hues towards the edges of the glass when held into light. Zero visibility. Produced a half fingers width of tan head, quickly reduced to a soapy ring. Minimal lacing.

S- Incredibly rich! Compilation of various aromas. Almost like chocolate brownies doused in bourbon. Picked up plenty of toffee, caramel with some vanilla. Just fantastic. If you take in a deep enough of a whiff, you can feel the alcohol tinge the nose hairs.

T- Upfront, you get a subtle, roasted malt flavor with a chocolate character. Transitions into a smooth, mellow bourbon taste with a vanilla, sweet chocolate finish. What I really liked was that the bourbon was well integrated in this beer...almost played a complimentary role. The only way I can some up the experience is that it is akin to chewing a savory, dark chocolate ball that slowly releases a 28-year-old bourbon as it is consumed.

M- Medium to heavy bodied. Pretty viscous with a nice chewiness. Has a slight creamy texture.

D- While the alcohol wasn't too noticeable in the taste, there is a residual burn in the chest area. Still, a very mellow BA imperial stout.

Overall, what a fantastic beer! As stated before, I have never come across a beer that integrated the bourbon flavors so well. It was so smooth and mellow, just an easy drinker with tons of flavor. Not much else I can say...I am satisfied.

01-08-2010 04:10:33 | More by rhinos00
raveskdr

4.61/5  rDev -0.2%

I don't review often. But when I do, it's Alexandria Whaelz. HUGE thanks to Bill A for sharing this. Drank along side the non barreled version. Bottle from 2007.

A - Very dark brown, bordering on completely black. Medium tan head that lingers for awhile. I should have used a different glass, I'm an idiot.

S - Not a ton going on here. A good amount of roast, some oaky vanilla notes that come in secondary. As the bottle warmed up, I got the "Burgundy pepper" as described below.

T - Strap in. The roast is all up front until an amazing mocha blast in the mid palate. The ending is some vanilla and barrel. There is a slight earthy pepper type of thing going on during the finish. The only time I have experienced something similar is in a handful of other barrel aged beers and in aged red Burgundy's. It's awesome though.

M - Rich and creamy without bogging down the beer at all. Intensely drinkable for the barrel and style and ABV. Zero alcohol on the back end.

O - This was amazing. It's been one of my top wants for years and I wasn't sure I'd ever get a chance to try it. To be able to do it back to back with the regular version really showcases what the barrel does to this beer. It truly is a shame that this beer is so incredibly limited and expensive. I will forever be indebted to Bill for allowing me to try this with him!

08-23-2013 14:43:02 | More by raveskdr
sprinkle

4.63/5  rDev +0.2%

Does it live up to the hype? In a word...YES! I wish I could be sipping on this at my local pub! This beer pours pretty black with a little bit thicker deep tan head than the regular Imp. Stout. Rich molassis, smokey, toasty with a hint of alc. but not offputting. Rich chocolate malts, deep tastes of bakers chocolate and slight hazelnut flavors. This brew is pretty round, not the biggest brew but this beer is focused on the finesse and that it has. Very silky with fine tannins and well intergrated oak. Finish lasts for minutes. '05 vintage

08-25-2009 12:53:30 | More by sprinkle
Crosling

Colorado

4.63/5  rDev +0.2%

Bottle, 2005, Akkurat, Stockholm, Sweden. Inky black pour, opaque, with a lasting filmy head of dark brown foam. Aroma is multi-dimensional and incredibly impressive, with hints of tobacco leaves, honey, every decadent dessert (truffle and fudge cake,) and a light touch of whiskey. Wow, what a nose. Flavor is incredible, but doesn't have the expression, definition or finish of the regular Stormaktsporter. Flavors of chocolate and caramel, toffee and cappuccino, while the barrel contributes a touch of whiskey. A world class beer, but I prefer the regular Stormaktsporter.

06-11-2008 14:52:31 | More by Crosling
KickInTheChalice

4.63/5  rDev +0.2%

Poured from a 8 oz. bottle into a tasting glass. 2008 vintage. Thanks a ton to Paulmpapp for bringing this out to our whale tasting.

Appearance: Typical RIS look - ebony black color with a fairly thin tan head of creamy bubbles slowly fades to a collar and leaves a thin sheet of lace.

Smell: The aroma is very balanced and smooth. Some sweet bourbon, raisins, figs, and dark roasted malt are all subtle and blended so well together. Dark chocolate and a bit of espresso round out the nose.

Taste: The flavor is pretty much exactly what I want out of a barrel aged imperial stout. Smooth, sweet bourbon comes in first and slowly lets in the fig, raisin, cherry, and roasted malt blend beautifully together. Some dark chocolate fudge, vanilla, and light espresso notes are in the background. The finish has a bit more bourbon and finishes fairly clean.

Mouthfeel: The carbonation is smooth, with just enough crispness to excite the tongue along with the bourbon. The body is on the fuller side of medium and consistent all the way through. Slightly sticky on the lips.

Overall: Clearly, this is one of the best imperial stouts I have had. No individual flavor really stands out, but the flavors in concert work so well together.

10-30-2011 22:50:28 | More by KickInTheChalice
Photo of

4.65/5  rDev +0.6%

Enjoyed a 2005 vintage at The Rover, looked like an 11oz. bottle. You have to ask for it, as it isn't really displayed.

Opaque black, viscous fluid. Large dark tan head. Head faded fast, but was easily stirred up again. Great legs.

Scents of raisins, blackstrap molasses and ginger bread. Most often, I get port when I smell a stout, this time it was more like scotch - maybe the barrel aging? Alcohol popped up occasionally, but not too much so. Bittersweet chocolate.

Taste was vanilla and smoke. Throw in some cherries, dark of course. Here comes the scotch. Now a bit of licorice. I am really not doing this beer the justice it deserves....
Finish me off with just a bit of hop bitterness at the end.

Light bodied (just kidding). Heavy as they come, no doubt. Hard to figure out carbonation, it seems low, but beer comes across as almost creamy. Probably more carbonation there than you can easily perceive with a beer of this heft. Alcohol warming starts to make it's appearance very quickly.

Overall, a fantastic beer. Shame that it's production is only 500 liters annually and that it doesn't appear to make it out of Sweden.

12-08-2006 20:41:25 | More by
orangesol

4.65/5  rDev +0.6%

One of my long time wants. I brought this one to the Pre-Ffej of July party to share with the usual suspects. I hope you guys liked it as much as I did. '08 Bottle served right after the regular version.

A - Pours opaque black with a small half finger tall mocha colored head leaving little to no lacing down the glass.

S - Smells just like the regular version with a few extra things tossed in. Compared to the regular version this one has a bit more vanilla, charred oak, peat whiskey, and just the faintest sour note. Excellent stuff.

T - Just like the regular version the taste is a bit of a letdown from that amazing nose but with the addition of the cask maturation it has really helped to round things out. Hints of rich bakers chocolate, sweet vanilla and charred oak tannins, licorice, dark fruits, and a tiny bit of light soy sauce. Only the faintest hint of alcohol creeps in as it comes to room temperature. The finish is a mix of sweet dark roast and some dry wood tannins, lingering for a short period of time.

M - Heavy body and flavor with moderate carbonation. Silky smooth feel with a mix of sweetness and dryness lingering through the finish. Only the faintest hint of booze can be detected.

O - Damn, I really wish I had a few more of these. I don't like to say that a specific beer is the best I have ever had, but if you asked me what is the best RIS I have had this would be near the top of my list. I am glad I could share this one with a few people who could appreciate it as much as I did.

07-13-2011 21:45:31 | More by orangesol
afausser

Montana

4.65/5  rDev +0.6%

My 100th review, split with CrellMoset (no less, the night before I start tryouts for law review...)

Appearance: Pours a thick and oily black with a slight (half a finger, maybe?) coca-cola and syrupy brown colored head, which disappears almost immediately. A few slight streams of carbonation bubbles float to the top. The ring of head that is left sticks around for a bit, and is quite literally that--just the slightest pretty little ring around the edge of the glass. Looking at the top of the glass, there's a slight foam swirl almost reminiscent of a hurricane, but you can also see clusters of carbonation bubbles as they stream to the top in three or four distinct clusters near the wisps. A fine sheet of glittery lacing with surprisingly nice retention before it disappears down the side of the glass.. Looks clean, simple, and nice. As its drunk, cherry tones are visible around the edge of the glass.

Smell: The nose on this one is huge! It's a few feet away from me, and I can smell bits of it from here--barrel notes, slight cherry tones, smells delicious even from afar. Bringing the glass to my nose, candy and caramel/molasses notes are also heavily present, but there's something odd about this one. I'm getting both green and red apples out of it, and--there it is--a strange buttery note. Not so much like butterscotch as quite literally, butter. A bit of coffee grounds and dark chocolate round things out, along with subtle rum-soaked raisins and clove spice notes blending into the background. Spearmint and anise notes are also present, particularly when agitated, but aren't overwhelming like they can be in some brews--they are apparent for a moment and then blend back in with the syrupy dark candy notes. The sour notes are really quite inviting when blended with the roast coffee and dark chocolate, and are mouthwatering. Reminds me a bit of red wine as it warms, but also has some soy sauce notes tossed in.

Taste: Wow! Sour notes predominate at the top of this brew--tastes like granny smith apples--but underneath there is a strong coffee and even stronger dark chocolate and cocoa powder undercurrent. Again, a little bit of a buttery note. Almost no dark fruits (in terms of raisins, prunes, etc) but a definitely both sweet and sour cherries, and sweet raspberry syrup, the consistency of which is quite light. a coffee and burnt hop aftertaste, with some oak notes burnt in. I absolutely love the sour notes on a darker beer. Again, it seems so very simple for being such a complex and well blended brew. Gets a little sweeter and more molasses-like as it warms, but the initial sour and dark notes are still dominant. Not at all hot.

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel on this is excellent. Extremely tiny bubbles make the brew crisp, but are barely there, making drinking this one amazing. The aftertaste is not abrasive and blends in nicely. This is a superb, if understated mouthfeel--and though it's got small carbonation, if it were overdone this one would be nasty, and if it went flat the tiny bubbles would be sorely missed. Gets even more superb, crisp, and spicy as it warms.

Drinkability: Drinkability is amazing for a 10%--I know it's a small bottle, but there's no heat, the flavor is wonderful, and this is truly well brewed, living up to the hype (and the cost!). one to sip, but I can't imagine it being any other way. Its rare that I rate drinkability highly on a beer that has this high of an ABV, as by its nature it should not be drinkable. Making an exception for this one, the second time in about as many weeks. Wonderfully done.

03-10-2010 14:47:14 | More by afausser
drowland

Georgia

4.68/5  rDev +1.3%

Small 2009 bottle courtesy joes! Opaque black pour with a frothy brown head that fades to a ring but sticks. Complex aroma of fudge, char, oak, bourbon, and a touch of alcohol. Wonderful flavor loaded with fudge, big smokey/char character, a lingering hint of coconut, definite oak, and more. Unique and quite good.

Small 2008 bottle courtesy joes. Opaque black pour with a small brown head that sticks. Huge BA aroma on this one with buttery vanilla, bourbon, fudge, and more. Rich flavor displaying BA characteristics with lingering roast and a touch of ash. Upped my rating a bit!

07-25-2011 15:07:05 | More by drowland
ohoh

4.68/5  rDev +1.3%

A 2005 bottle shared with friends at the Rover, Gothenburg, sometime 2009. Served from bottle in tasting glasses.

Pours jet black, with a brownish head, little lacing.

The smell is what you expect from a beer like this, chocolate, coffee, oak but in a very complex composition. I'm sure there are lots of other aromas in there that I couldn't make out at the time.

Oh my god. It really lives up to the hype. Really the same tastes as smells, but more powerful and a hint of fruitiness. Feels great in the mouth, smooth with a nice sweetness on the end.

It seemed very articulate and matured, and as we were drinking the 2005 vintage that's not surprising, but I found it refined in a special, complex way that makes me long for the next time I get to taste this beer.

03-25-2010 08:29:30 | More by ohoh
Pecorasc

Oregon

4.68/5  rDev +1.3%

Teeny-Tiny bottle with a matching Teeny-Tiny label. Didn't they know we would be splitting this? Split into wine glasses.

A- Pours very black, along with the faintest amount of red-brown at the edge of the glass. Coffee and cream colored head with great lacing. When tilted, leaves perfect lace right where the tip of the beer last touched. When swirled, looks like sediment sticks the the glass.

S- An a-cappella round of chocolate, cocoa, vanilla, oak, and bourbon. The combination creates a whole new aroma. Could not get any better.

T- In no particular order: vanilla, chocolate, coffee and bourbon. Each sip might reveal a new leader. The one constant is the roasted coffee in the finish. The heat from the alcohol crescendos with each sip.

M- Thick and velvety. The medium carbonation stimulates and lifts the flavors up on the palate, especially the roasted coffee.

D- This beer does not give diminishing returns. The more you drink, the more the heat builds. I would be cautious, but interested to see how a full pint of this drinks.

01-08-2010 18:16:40 | More by Pecorasc
womencantsail

4.7/5  rDev +1.7%

Enormous thanks go out to joragan (David) for bringing this one to the tasting yesterday.

A: The pour is thick and pretty much black as night with a small, creamy mocha colored foam.

S: Rich aromas of chocolate, coffee, honey, vanilla, and black cherries. There's a slight floral note to the beer as well which probably comes from the honey. The oak really imparts some incredible aromas to this beer, and I just can't stop smelling it.

T: Much like the nose, this one has plenty of barrel character. There's quite a bit of vanilla, a noticeable charred oak flavor, and a light smokiness. The chocolate, coffee, roasted malt, and dark fruits really come through on the palate as well.

M: The carbonation is very low, but that works well with this beer and it doesn't feel syrupy. It's quite viscous and creamy and really feels smooth on the tongue.

D: A really fantastic beer which I wish was more easily attainable. I would gladly enjoy this one several more times.

02-01-2010 18:41:30 | More by womencantsail
kbutler1

4.7/5  rDev +1.7%

Bottle.
2008 vintage. Pours one of the darkest, deepest brown/black colors in an IS that I have seen. Slight mahagonay reddish tan head with good lace. A mixture of aromas including oak, roast coffee, dark chocolate, and a slight touch of vanilla. Chocolate is the first aroma that comes to mind when I first took a smell. Medium mouthfeel. Loads of tastes as well that include the dark bittersweet chocolate and leather. Sweet malts (maybe the honey?) up front with a lingering bitternes. Extremely well balanced. My only gripe (a very small one) is that I would love to have the mouthfeel a little bit heavier. I will say that it has a great velvety, creamy medium mouthfeel though. Just outstanding! Really wish they made this more available and in BIGGER bottles!

09-20-2010 13:07:15 | More by kbutler1
kevanb

4.71/5  rDev +1.9%

2007 bottle, generously shared by Sean9869, thanks for letting me try a super long time want.

The beer pours a dark cola brown, nearly black color with swirls of brown, caramel and hazelnut before it all melds together with a slight head that recedes quickly and leaves spots of lace. The aroma is wonderful, wood, char, light chocolate, slightly roasted coffee and toasted grain, sweet alcohol, pitted stone fruit, toffee, molasses, every time I took a sniff, I felt like there was something new, exceedingly complex. The beer really shined on the tongue, bakers chocolate, stone fruit, coffee, barrel character, toffee, mollasses, marshmallow, alcohol and then some, just like the nose, each sip brought out something new and something exciting. The balance is spectacular, the complexity is unending, and the smoothness is hardly matched. The body was great, coats the mouth well, super smooth, rich, decadent without being taxing or too thick.

Verdict: Magnificent, easily the most complex and rewarding RIS I've tried to date and the wood only complimented this further. One of the few beers that has really lived up to the crazy hype, and even exceeded it. Well done Närke.

06-06-2013 02:01:10 | More by kevanb
rarbring

4.72/5  rDev +2.2%

The beer is dark,black and oily, has a small beige head leaving little lacing but having good curtains.

The smell is all Christmas plum cake combined with slightly smoked sausage, vinous tones, Madeira and a whiff of yeast.

Avery well balanced taste, sweet candy upfront, marzipan and some oak tones, then roasted bread, slightly of coffee beans.

The brew has little carbonation, a complex and oily body.

This is truly a great stout, this three way divided 2008 bottle was enjoyed at Bishop's Arms in Linköping, Sweden

09-04-2010 19:09:54 | More by rarbring
AgentZero

4.72/5  rDev +2.2%

For semi-milestone review #350, might as well go for one of the big boys.

A - Pours a viscous black with a surprisinly large fine bubble, tan head on it. Quite nice looking.

S - Amazing. Huge chocolate smell with some burnt oak, mild coffe, great toffee. Nice roasted malts with subtle traces of vanilla as it warms.

T - I am always skeptical of beers that shoot up the charts with a small number of reviews, but this has definately lived up to everything I could have imagined. Velvety chocolate coats the mouth, but it's a nice, slightly roasty cocoa that combines with the rest of the roasted malts nicely. Slight licorice notes and brown sugar. There is a muted coffee flavor and everything is brought together by the oaked taste. Truly fantastic.

M - Smooth, full bodied, velvety is the word that keeps coming ot mind.

D - I'm guessing a little bit, because the bottle is so small, but I could definately drink this non-stop. Fantastic brew, I don't know if I will ever get a hold of more, but I would sure love to.

06-17-2010 16:31:01 | More by AgentZero
Alieniloquium

4.73/5  rDev +2.4%

25 cLass bottle poured into a wine taster. 2006 bottle.

Appearance - Viscous black. Small khaki head. Very thin collar.

Smell - Wow. Very oaky. Deep dark chocolate. Roasty coffee. A little bit of smoke. A green woody aroma. Almost like cedar.

Taste - Incredible. Intense roasted malt. Coffee. Bitter chocolate. Smokey flavor. Licorice. A little bit sweet. Sherry. Woody. It's not really oak, again more of a cedar. But not quite.

Mouthfeel - Medium low carbonation. Exceptionally smooth and easy to drink.

Overall - This got more complex and enjoyable as it warmed. Unbelievable beer.

12-25-2013 18:38:18 | More by Alieniloquium
Beerandraiderfan

Nevada

4.75/5  rDev +2.8%

Usual black color for a stout, but the thick dark tan head and the clumpy lace made for a treat in the appearance department. Aroma was very nice as well, well integrated bourbon notes with soft malt roasting, chocolate/chocolate malt. Pair that with a mild oak and leather in the aroma, a very nice beer already.

Taste, wow, beautiful, hides the alcohol well, the bourbon barrel like notes don't dominate, nothing dominates, is extremely easy to drink, especially for the heft of the alcohol. A mild smooth sweetness, almost honey like along with faint vanilla. Mouthfeel not overly thick, allows every component of the beer to come out oh so nicely. One of the more rare things for a barrel aged stout to do is allow for a caramel smoothness to help out, and this one does just that. Its not all about being the biggest and most abrasive peeps!

One of the best bal stouts in the world. Thanks to jh1982, dsgolovin & largadeer for putting together a combo of beers outside of Triple Rock for me and the ladyfriend to join in sampling, best beers of the weekend (well actually 2012 so far).

02-16-2012 20:00:56 | More by Beerandraiderfan
rouhlas3

Greece

05-27-2014 07:07:30 | More by rouhlas3
ChrisPro

4.75/5  rDev +2.8%

2005 Vintage had on 5 June 2011 at Pikkulintu.

A - Black as night with a thick dark caramel-colored head leaving crevaces as it fades. This beer has big caramel legs as you drink.

S - The first blast is of sherry/fig/cherry with a mix of vanilla/bourbon to follow. As you smell a bit more, there are hints of cardboard, which only slightly detract from the amazing aroma.

T - Truly sublime. Lots of fantastic sweetness up front with a bitter chocolate finish. There's a nice smokey tobacco that pleasantly lingers on the tongue.

M - Full-bodied, and great carbonation. The finish is much drier than expected, but works quite well.

O - This was the best beer I'd had to date (outdone by Konjaks a few days later) and just phenomenal. I think that there is fantastic oxidation in the beer, but the hints of cardboard make me think that this could be taking a turn (though I've never had any other vintage to compare). Still just a fantastic brew.

07-21-2011 11:00:19 | More by ChrisPro