Kaggen! Stormaktsporter - Närke Kulturbryggeri AB

Wants: 1,302
Närke Kulturbryggeri AB visit their website

Russian Imperial Stout |  10.00% ABV

Beer added by: baggio on 05-14-2008

The cask matured version of Stormaktsporter.

Best beer I have ever tried. The worst about this beer, or brewery is that I went to school temporary in the sad litle town in Sweden for a year. The school was located next to the brewery and I had no idea about it.
Who's the goose?

The beer is exceptional in every way besides maybee the appearance, but that is also wonderfull with its brown foam and motoroil consistence. Balance is the keyword for this beer. All of the complexed flavours is on a straight line the whole time.

4.92/5  rDev +6.7%

Huge thanks to a very generous BA for the chance to finally taste this one.

2007 Vintage

Pours jet black with a mocha head and a tad bit of lacing as it makes its way down. The smell is incredibly complex and quite forceful--I could actually get a pretty good whiff of it upon opening the bottle even before pouring it into my glass. Nose consisted of nearly every imperial stout adjective imaginable with great notes of chocolate fudge, vanilla, espresso, burnt dark fruits, roasted malt, and a bit of barrel characteristics. The taste brought things forward even more, really just layering the complexities in a very intense manner.

The chocolate fudge really stood out to me at time, but in all honesty it was really difficult to pick out individual throughout, as everything was just so well integrated. In essence, all I can really say is that this is exactly what an imperial stout should taste like. I would say that for a beer with this incredible amount of flavor, the feel was a bit thin. However, the carbonation was really nice and let the flavors shine through. Drinkability was just out of this world. I can't wait until the day when I get to try this again.

4.82/5  rDev +4.6%

MasterSki was kind enough to cap off a weekend of drunken debauchery by sharing this one. Thanks, Alex. 2007 vintage.

Into a tulip, Kaggen pours black and opaque with a small but lasting dark tan head. A gentle swirl coats the glass with oily legs and a few wispy bubbles. Sticking my olfactory receptor into the glass reveals aromas of chocolate cake, honey, caramel and whiskey. This beer is brewed with heather, and you can tell; it has a slight gruit-like quality. Further inspection brings out a light fruity tartness, not unlike aged Port, and a hint of anise and vanilla. On the tongue I get even more fruit than the aroma suggests, lightly tart and lightly sweet, somewhat vinous in quality. Chocolate, caramel and vanilla follow with barrel tannins and a pleasant and subtle roasty astringency balancing the sweetness. Whiskey is present throughout, but the mellowness is amazing; this beer has no noticeable heat. The mouthfeel is velvety and full, but not American full-bodied; I could actually drink a pint of this without worrying about rising insulin levels. Just an all-around exceptional beer, far exceeding my expectations and well worth the exorbitant hype.

4.25/5  rDev -7.8%

Served in a small snifter at 50-55º. 2007 vintage.
Wispy skim of tan foam, settling in a ghostly cirrus formation. Not much sticks around though to be honest... no lacing to speak of.

Huge aroma of loose leaf pipe tobacco and "red man" pouch tobacco, leather, maple, dried dark fruit... raisin, prune, and licorice. At room temperature it's somewhat woody with notes of pumpernickel bread and molasses.

Rich flavors of dark fruit (dried cherry) and tobacco, a hint of sherry cask oxidation, fudgy, woody and leathery. Mellow feel, slightly oily and syrupy. Best to split a bottle with friends. Not a "best ever" beer imho, but a good one. Hopefully will try a recent vintage someday to compare.

Thanks Kristina for sharing this bottle.

4.8/5  rDev +4.1%

2008 Vintage bottle

The only beer I wanted to drink for my birthday, I had saved this for most of the last year, waiting for the day I could open it. Served cold and poured into a six ounce snifter, this one was consumed on 06/11/2010.

Pours the darkest, thickest, oiliest looking black right out of the bottle. This combines with a thick chocolate colored head that really just gives it that full and complete look. A monster looking stout and I was in heaven as the blacklights shine off the side of my glass. It should be noted half of this was enjoyed while I was walking around an arcade at 11:30 at night, the rest back at the room.

Aroma is exceptional and I would have expected nothing less. Deep notes of roasted malts, burnt licorice, oak, hints of leather and deep coffee and chocolate. Massively complex and rich. Warming brings out like touches of vanilla that are kissing the sides of it. Huge body and flavor here. Thick and exceptionally full bodied. This was an immense beer in every sense of the word. Deep and dark, foreboding with the huge flavor of roasted malts and rich vanilla and oak notes flooding my palate. Simply amazing. Sweet vanilla and sugary notes coming into play now and leaving a rich chocolate and vanilla filled finish that left my palate clean.

Overall every bit worthy of the hype. Easily one of the best 5 RIS I have ever had. Cannot imagine how good the regular version is as I have heard it blows the doors off this.

4.72/5  rDev +2.4%

Enormous thanks go out to joragan (David) for bringing this one to the tasting yesterday.

A: The pour is thick and pretty much black as night with a small, creamy mocha colored foam.

S: Rich aromas of chocolate, coffee, honey, vanilla, and black cherries. There's a slight floral note to the beer as well which probably comes from the honey. The oak really imparts some incredible aromas to this beer, and I just can't stop smelling it.

T: Much like the nose, this one has plenty of barrel character. There's quite a bit of vanilla, a noticeable charred oak flavor, and a light smokiness. The chocolate, coffee, roasted malt, and dark fruits really come through on the palate as well.

M: The carbonation is very low, but that works well with this beer and it doesn't feel syrupy. It's quite viscous and creamy and really feels smooth on the tongue.

D: A really fantastic beer which I wish was more easily attainable. I would gladly enjoy this one several more times.

4.88/5  rDev +5.9%

I purchased a bottle of this (2006 vintage) in July 2011 at Akkurat in Stockholm, Sweden for the staggering price of 375 kroner. It was a real bank breaker, but a treat as well. Reviewed from extensive notes. I was skeptical going into this beer, as I feel you have to be if people are claiming it's the best beer in the world (or even for the style).

Served from the bottle into a standard stemware glass (25cl) at Akkurat.

A: Pours a 2.5 finger head of beautiful brown-ruby colour, lovely cream, and brilliant thickness. Retention is excellent in general, but astounding for the high ABV. I love the unique colour of the creamy head. Solid nontransparent black colour. Very fucking appealing.

Sm: Chocolate, cream, raspberry (and maybe cherry) esters [but not "dark" esters as with Westvleteren 12], toffee, vanilla, slight roast, and another ester me broken nose can't identify (all apologies as usual, lads). The aroma is clean and of moderate strength. No alcohol comes through.

T: Chocolate, excellent subtle cream, vanilla, toffee truffle, some sort of fruit esters on the fringe, and cherry esters (which are dark and buried, but still contribute). No caramel. It's delightfully subtle and deep. Incredibly complex. I love it. No alcohol comes through in the taste. Some slight caramelized malt comes through on the finish, which feels a bit out of place, upsetting the near-perfect balance. Brilliantly and carefully built.

Mf: Amazingly soft and delicate. Silky smooth. Creamy, but not overly so. Perfectly complements the flavours. Really extraordinary and artful. On a level of sophistication rarely seen except perhaps in Westvleteren 12 and 8. Truly perfect.

Dr: No alcohol comes through. It's a treat. I love the complexity. It's meant to be savored. Lives up to the hype. I wouldn't call it a perfect beer but it's pretty damn close. There are only two noticeable flaws: the price (which doesn't affect my rating) and the caramelized malt on the finish, which is a touch out of place. I wish it were more available as well. I can't speculate on how the aging affects it, as the 2006 is the only one I've tried (and probably the only one I ever will). I was thinking while I was drinking it whether it was truly better than the Westvleteren 12 (if that's even a fair comparison), and I think it's very close, but ultimately this is better. I'd have to have them side by side for a true comparison (yeah right!).

A+ (4.9)

4.9/5  rDev +6.3%

From 6/12/10 notes. Got to sample this side by side with the normal Stormaktsporter thanks to nimbleprop, huge thanks Mac! 2007 vintage.

a - Pours a dark brown color with an inch of tan head and light carbonation evident.

s - Smells of oak, chocolate, roasted malts, dark fruits, and vanilla. Hint of coffee.

t - Tastes of oak, chocolate, coffee, vanilla, and dark fruits.

m - Moderate to light carbonation and medium body. Smooth and very easy to drink.

d - As I mentioned in my Stormaktsporter review, I thought they were both very similiar, but amazing. I think the normal version has more dark fruits, while Kaggen! has more oak to it (which I prefered). Both are easily 2 of the best beers I have ever had, and I would love to try them again some time.

4.66/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

One of my long time wants. I brought this one to the Pre-Ffej of July party to share with the usual suspects. I hope you guys liked it as much as I did. '08 Bottle served right after the regular version.

A - Pours opaque black with a small half finger tall mocha colored head leaving little to no lacing down the glass.

S - Smells just like the regular version with a few extra things tossed in. Compared to the regular version this one has a bit more vanilla, charred oak, peat whiskey, and just the faintest sour note. Excellent stuff.

T - Just like the regular version the taste is a bit of a letdown from that amazing nose but with the addition of the cask maturation it has really helped to round things out. Hints of rich bakers chocolate, sweet vanilla and charred oak tannins, licorice, dark fruits, and a tiny bit of light soy sauce. Only the faintest hint of alcohol creeps in as it comes to room temperature. The finish is a mix of sweet dark roast and some dry wood tannins, lingering for a short period of time.

M - Heavy body and flavor with moderate carbonation. Silky smooth feel with a mix of sweetness and dryness lingering through the finish. Only the faintest hint of booze can be detected.

O - Damn, I really wish I had a few more of these. I don't like to say that a specific beer is the best I have ever had, but if you asked me what is the best RIS I have had this would be near the top of my list. I am glad I could share this one with a few people who could appreciate it as much as I did.

4.87/5  rDev +5.6%

2006 version, purchased at Oliver Twist. I've got the '07 waiting for the right tasting event back home. The bottle was given to me WAY too cold, so I let it warm for a bit.

A - First, I don't generally dig snifters for my RIS consumption - they generally reduce head volume by quite a bit, and my favorite brews don't benefit much from the aroma "retention". In any case, it had a late-rising dark mocha, even slightly red, half-finger of foam that dissipated pretty quickly to a ring with a few bubbles at the surface and some "legs". Pitch black - there's some pretty lace that's generated with each sip but it quickly slides down the edges of the glass and back into the abyss. It actually looked a lot like Dave's (d0b) pour of the Cigar City 110K+OT in my Darkness snifter. I'm going to give it the benefit of the doubt, but if I get subpar head volume in a different vessel next time I may dock this a half point.

S - Sweet Jesus - this thing smells epic. Huge whiskey, vanilla, oak, dark fruits, honey, roasted malts, tobacco, semi-sweet chocolate, coffee, molasses, and probably all the other descriptors used by my reviewing colleagues. The closest comparison I can think of was the incredible BA Decadence '07, but this brew brings a slight sour note to the table that is almost a little reminiscent of the most recent Perseguidor (batch 4). I'm not sure how much time this brew sits in the barrel, or whether Swedish whiskey is more conducive to "bugs" but it's a wonderful addition that adds a touch of depth and richness that can be lacking in other BA beers. There's not a trace of astringent alcohol either.

T - OK - you can pretty much taste everything listed in the smell, as there is really no drop-off in complexity. Whiskey, vanilla, wood, bittersweet chocolate, dark fruit, roastiness - they're all here. Near the back end of the palate it fleetingly moves into BA barleywine territory somehow, with the burnt molasses flavor in there, but then it finishes with huge tannins and oak - like on par with Toronado 20th here. I'm at a loss here, because I keep picking up slight sour beer elements that my fellow colleagues didn't mention - perhaps this is caused by the age, or the barrel used? In any case, it's as if someone took an amazing BA beer like Decadence and spiked it with a touch of Consecration or something.

M - There's a little heat to go with the full silky smooth body and lots of stickiness. The residual feel is that "I've been licking a piece of wood" kind of thing that shows up in barrel-aged brews. Fairly mild carbonation. No complaints here.

D - This is the only place I can really knock this brew. I was worried the 250ml bottle wouldn't be enough for me to really enjoy and reflect on, but it was plenty. The alcohol is well hidden, but the buzz creeps up pretty fast. Also, the heavy tannic finish and the somewhat mind-blowing flavor depth make this a true evening-ender. But what an evening!

It's not very often that a brew comes along that changes my perception of what a style can do. I'm not sure if the slight sour notes were intentional, or a by-product of the barrel aging process, but any beer that marries the best of brews like BA Decadence, Parabola, and Bell's BB Double/Cream Expo blend with stuff like Toronado 20th and Persguidor opens up my mind and palate to the amazing possibilities of beer. I understand this stuff is hard to get, but it should be tried be every beer lover at least once.

4.79/5  rDev +3.9%

Look everyone, I'm finally in the Kaggen! club. I had pretty much written off this beer to some distant future, after the kids had grown and left the nest the wife and I take a trip to Europe for a month and I would drink the rarest Cantillons and shot gun bottles of Kaggen!...distant distant future, far after the Mayan calendar destroys us all and most of Europe is underwater as a direct result of the war with cyborgs. BUT, Thorpe429 moved that time table up 30 years with a casual invite to come over and help him slay this treasure. I was eager to provide my assistance. Thanks Mike. Might not get another opportunity to do this for several years / decades, I am very appreciative.

Served in a tulip, 2007 vintage. Beer is black. Thin head that breaks and floats toward the walls of the glass, no lacing, the head is a little sad, hard to motivate, carbonation is low, looks like a big stout to me!

Yep, this beer smells perfect. I could have smelled it all day long, just smelled it. I didn't want to drink it, I was afraid I couldn't smell it anymore. This feeling was universal I have to say. There was chocolate and vanilla in there, a healthy but not overly oakiness as well. There is sweetness and mild alcohol but its not cloying or hot at all. Its very "complex" -- it almost turns to a liquor aroma after a while, a mild whiskey or something slightly fruitier, but its not oxidized.

Beer is a little lighter in the body than I was expecting but I suppose I should have been expecting the way it was due to the ABV being so high. Leads off with a definite sweetness, mild alcohol but its not drying. Great palate connectivity, the beer sort of coats the tongue, lingering with these subtle fruit flavors and general sweetness, creamy in the mouth, no help from carbonation at this point but this beer doesn't even need it. Its a very good beer. Have it again? Definitely. If I ever get a hold of a bottle of this, it will be shared with a group of beer nerds who fantasize about this as much as I had.

4.55/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

I had a sample of the 2007 at RBSG 2010 and when kbutler1 cracked a 2008 bottle I was pretty jacked.

Decided to listen to some O Fortuna for this review

Poured into CCB snifter.

Pours 1/2 finger of tan head that fades down to a ring. Leaves some splattered lace.

Aroma: Lots of oak up front. Amazing amount. Chocolaty and velvety. Very rich. Vanilla notes with hints of caramel. The oak is dominate, but in a good way. Very warming.

Taste: Starts out a bit muted, but then the flavors hit. Huge oak again with vanilla. Roasted malt and chocolate. It is so silky smooth. Very rich. Caramel notes. Dried fruit flavors. I get a dose of licorice in the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Rich, velvety, smooth, warming. A great mouthfeel to it. Full bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. Ends very oaky.

Overall, the oak in this beer was spot on. It was the keynote in this beer, but didn't distract from the other flavors. Very drinkable. It is a shame it comes in such a small bottle. Thanks Kevin for sharing this one!

EDIT: as the beer warms, I finally get the honey flavors and it becomes more sweet. I like it.

4.85/5  rDev +5.2%

Shared by ygtbsm94. Thanks a lot, Brad! Served alongside Stormaktsporter.

2009 vintage

The beer appears quite similar to the standard version. Dark brown, nearing black, with a dark beige head that leaves an oily film gently descending the snifter.

A distinctly European aroma. It seems to me that Närke, Nøgne Ø, Mikkeller, etc. possess distinctive characteristics not found in American stouts. Hooray for diversity and the unique aspects found in beers throughout the world. Anyhow...the beer smells terrific. Roast, chocolate, barrels, a touch of booze.

The flavor does not disappoint. Thick, chewy, viscous stout that coats the palate and melts in your mouth. The barrel character is outstanding. Present, but not overbearing. Beautifully balanced. Dark fruits, chocolate, roast, malt, barrels blending together in harmony.

Highly recommended, should you have the good fortune to sample this.

4.69/5  rDev +1.7%

25 cLass bottle poured into a wine taster. 2006 bottle.

Appearance - Viscous black. Small khaki head. Very thin collar.

Smell - Wow. Very oaky. Deep dark chocolate. Roasty coffee. A little bit of smoke. A green woody aroma. Almost like cedar.

Taste - Incredible. Intense roasted malt. Coffee. Bitter chocolate. Smokey flavor. Licorice. A little bit sweet. Sherry. Woody. It's not really oak, again more of a cedar. But not quite.

Mouthfeel - Medium low carbonation. Exceptionally smooth and easy to drink.

Overall - This got more complex and enjoyable as it warmed. Unbelievable beer.

4.62/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I'm not one for landmark reviews, but I must point out that this is review 450 proper. After the site crash last weekend I've found myself with one extra phantom review. So, review 450, here goes.

2007 vintage. Thanks Masterski! Consumed on 10/10/2009 with Overlord and Masterski at our Pre Lost Abbey Sinners/Saints dinner tasting and poured into a snifter. It appears black with a one finger light brown head which dissipates in a minute and leaves behind just a little lacing.

What immediately strikes me about the nose is a distinct smoky or peaty character imparted by the single malt barrels. I've had the 2007 vintage of the regular Stormaktsporter and it's amazing how much smokiness Kaggen took from the barrels in a matter of 3 months. The malt is charred with strong notes of dark chocolate cake, molasses, dark fruits, and a little vanilla. I detect licorice and well integrated coffee. The honey is unmistakable.

The flavor opens up roasted, toasted, and peaty with that same chocolate cake. Honey becomes evident midpalate and adds a touch of sweetness. The malt is charred with moderate booze, dark fruits, oak, and some molasses. The beer is tannic with notes of anise and a little caramel. Booze is well hidden throughout. The finish is a recapitulation and leaves me wanting more.

The beer is full bodied with low-moderate carbonation and a smooth, sticky, viscous, and creamy mouthfeel. Thanks again, Alex, for this rare treat that I thought I might never try.

4.52/5  rDev -2%

Footbalm (RB guy) brought this to a massive RIS tasting last weekend... This was the first bottle we cracked.. Fucking huge thanks Eric!! Never thought I would see one of these in person let alone get a chance to sip and savor it.. Reviewed from notes.

'06 vintage pours pretty much black with very clear mahogany highlites when held to a bulb... dark tan head drops leaving little lacing... leggy when swirled

Rich chocolate fudge.. subtle smoke and oak.. "I could smell this for hours"

Nice vanilla at the front... big and malty with only hints of char... milk chocolate cake .... honey essence is brought out by the maltiness .... finish is a bit smokey with tobacco and dry cocoa.... full body with a silky mouthfeel.

My notes only sorta do justice... I really liked this alot, but I think I built it up a bit too much in my head.

Amazing Eric... I appreciate the honor.

2005 vintage in bottle sampled at Akkurat in Stockholm, Sweden. Pours pitch black with thin dark brown foam head. Aroma consists of roasted chocolate maltiness, coffee, toffee, caramel and loads of tart oakiness and bourbon. This beer is extremely smooth and quaffable. Roasty flavor up front with smooth creamy center and sweet bitter dry finish. Flavor dominated by excellent oak and bourbon flavors that are balanced with chocolate, coffee, toffee, caramel and a dry hop finish. Excellent! Lives up to the hype and the $65 price tag.

4.73/5  rDev +2.6%

Usual black color for a stout, but the thick dark tan head and the clumpy lace made for a treat in the appearance department. Aroma was very nice as well, well integrated bourbon notes with soft malt roasting, chocolate/chocolate malt. Pair that with a mild oak and leather in the aroma, a very nice beer already.

Taste, wow, beautiful, hides the alcohol well, the bourbon barrel like notes don't dominate, nothing dominates, is extremely easy to drink, especially for the heft of the alcohol. A mild smooth sweetness, almost honey like along with faint vanilla. Mouthfeel not overly thick, allows every component of the beer to come out oh so nicely. One of the more rare things for a barrel aged stout to do is allow for a caramel smoothness to help out, and this one does just that. Its not all about being the biggest and most abrasive peeps!

One of the best bal stouts in the world. Thanks to jh1982, dsgolovin & largadeer for putting together a combo of beers outside of Triple Rock for me and the ladyfriend to join in sampling, best beers of the weekend (well actually 2012 so far).

4.4/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Vintage 2008.

The colour is black; the low head is warm brown. Some fine lacing occurs.

The warming smell got notes of wood and strong wine. Hints of alcohol. Lots of grand yet balanced flavours of coal, matured hops, mild bitter flavours and a hint of smoke.

The taste is very elegant with sweet caramelized notes, some fresh oxidized cask flavours, sour hints and a smoke that reminds of Islay whisky. It is overall matured, but some raw hoppy flavours make it more demanding and interesting. The strong aftertaste is malty with chemical hints of medicine and band-aids. Some alcohol in the finish.

The light carbonation is made of very small bubbles. The liquid is thick and sticky.

One of the most hyped beer during the last years... And while it is a splendid cask matured imperial stout, I found it a little too much for me.

4.04/5  rDev -12.4%

2008 version. Big thanks to Masterski for getting me this bottle, one that I've wanted to try for a long time but never pulled together a trade (thanks a ton Alex!).

I shared this at a tasting in northern OH, a pretty exceptional Tuesday night. Dark brown and faintly translucent, with the thinnest of foams on top. The aroma is quite nice, but to be honest I was expecting so much that I was actually a little disappointed. Taking the expectations out of it this was very good. Less roasty than I would have thought, this had more tobacco and leather to it than stouts normally do. Earthy, that's probably the correct adjective.

Some dark fruits in the flavor, plum/raisin type of thing, with lots of earthy character (I think I'm liking this term a lot). Not as strong tasting a stout as I expected, this was nothing like bourbon stouts in the USA aspire to be. Much more nuanced, less easily appreciated I think. That said I enjoyed searching out the flavors.

Lighter than expected but not thin bodied. Very very good, and obviously I'm very happy to have had a chance to try it. I'm also glad I shared it with some others so more can try this rarity, although with the small size of the bottle I could easily have taken it myself at home.

4.97/5  rDev +7.8%

Review of 02-02-10
I drank this 2008 version 250 ml bottle into my Rochefort chalice.

The beer pours pitch black with a nice creamy dark tan head. Its very pretty and fluffy. The head rises about 2 fingers stays around a couple minutes and leaves a sopay head. The lacing is a little lighter than I would have hoped for.

The aroma is medium in strength, pretty matly to start lots of sweet chocolate, some vanilla and light bourbon on the end. There is a tiny bit of oak. Overall, its pretty understated.

The taste is super smooth its sweet up front with sweet chocolate, in the middle it brings some depth with some nice oak/bourbon than as the beer finishes you get a little more oak and vanilla.

The feel is very nice, very viscous and a very lasting taste.

The drinkability is nice, can't really taste any of the alcohol.

Review of 07-06-2010.
Re-tasted at the brewery
- 08 kaggen vs 08 stormaktsporter, the stormkatsporter was the better by everyone.
-05 kaggen(first year of Kaggen) vs 05 stormaktspoter, the kaggen won this around.
- Tried the 09 kaggen directly from the barrel. Its on Wild Turkey, only going to be about 800 bottles, this one is going to be special. Unreal vanilla already presenting, aroma is one of the best ever, taste still getting there but this will be awesome.
-06 version that was not barrel aged put into a glass bottle and just sat for 3 years, awesome vanilla notes on the front, beer itself is almost syrup lots of acid, a little tough to drink but interesting
- 08 kaggen that is 4 parts kaggen and 1 part smoked beer. This is not a commercial beer, made by the brewery for him and his friends. This was the best of the lot, unreal balance and totally amazing. They need to make this, it would hit top 5 easily so balanced with tons of vanilla, smoke, wood, and coffee. AWESOME.

Each version is totally different, the 08 that I reviewed and gave a 4.55 is widely considered in Sweden as the worst batch. The 05 was clearly better than the 08, the variants were unreal. Everything about this beer is awesome, good variations, good story, super rare, and even better people-owners at the brewery. If you are beer freak as Hans would call you this is a beer you have to somehow track down. They plan to keep the batches small and will continue to sell at a much lower price then the market commands because they want the average person to get the beer. It will continue to be distributed mostly to just the local restaurants in Orebro and a couple bas in Stockholm and Copenhagen, but expect to pay at least 60 US dollars. Your best bet is going to be here around the release and go to a local restaurant.

4.17/5  rDev -9.5%

07 bottle. Pour is dark brown, almost black with red edges and a tiny bit of tan large bubbled head. Nose is nice, same rich chocolate cake as stormaktsporter, maybe more, and hints of bourbon and wood. Taste is rich, dessert like, creamy full body. Rich chocolate cake and bourbonn blend together adding notes of charred wood. Not sweet but adds some malt berery flavors in back finishing semi dry. My favorite of the 3 I tried.

4.55/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Review #1500!!! A massive thanks goes out to cmrillo for bringing this one out during his own 40 Beers* @ 40 Birthday Bash! Can’t believe I FINALLY got to try this one!!! 2008 Vintage! Served from bottle into a Mikkeller taster flute. Poured pitch black with a minimal tan head. Maintained excellent lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, wood, dark chocolate, vanilla, sweet alcohol, and roasted malt. The flavor was of sweet malt, roasted malt, dark chocolate, vanilla, wood, sweet alcohol, and milk chocolate. It had a heavy feel on the palate with medium carbonation. Overall this was an excellent brew. This was another one that I was shocked to see come out at the birthday party. This was sampled directly after Stormaktsporter. There was a pretty good difference in this one from the base brew. There was a lot more presence of the vanilla with an addition of various chocolate aspects. The cigar aspect I picked up on in the base brew had disappeared, but what replaced it in both the flavor and aroma was just plain excellent. So glad I got the chance to finally try this one and would love to do so over and over again.

4.7/5  rDev +2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

For semi-milestone review #350, might as well go for one of the big boys.

A - Pours a viscous black with a surprisinly large fine bubble, tan head on it. Quite nice looking.

S - Amazing. Huge chocolate smell with some burnt oak, mild coffe, great toffee. Nice roasted malts with subtle traces of vanilla as it warms.

T - I am always skeptical of beers that shoot up the charts with a small number of reviews, but this has definately lived up to everything I could have imagined. Velvety chocolate coats the mouth, but it's a nice, slightly roasty cocoa that combines with the rest of the roasted malts nicely. Slight licorice notes and brown sugar. There is a muted coffee flavor and everything is brought together by the oaked taste. Truly fantastic.

M - Smooth, full bodied, velvety is the word that keeps coming ot mind.

D - I'm guessing a little bit, because the bottle is so small, but I could definately drink this non-stop. Fantastic brew, I don't know if I will ever get a hold of more, but I would sure love to.

4.57/5  rDev -0.9%

I can't thank Jan enough for getting me this one, 2008 bottle, side by side with the regular 2008 Stormaktsporter.

Pours just like the regular version, pitch black with a thick tan head that recedes ever so slowly to a clumpy cap and leaves very good lacing.

Oh man, the smell on this one is wonderful. It takes the chocolate sweetness and the fruity esters from the base beer and layers on a hefty dose of earthy leather notes and some spicy oak. Espresso and honey as well. Whoa.

The taste has an initial spicy kick from the oak and earthy sweetness from the honey. The heavily roasted malts hang out underneath as well as the chocolate, which really takes a back seat compared to the regular version where it steals the show. The finish is completely different as well with a hefty alcohol burn coating the throat.

Mouthfeel, much like the regular version, is stunning. Just completely coats the mouth, so smooth with just the right carbonation.

This was definitely an interesting comparison to the normal Stormaktsporter and they differed more than I expected. This beer is probably more complex and definitely has an earthier, oakier character. Definitely one of the better beers I've ever had and marginally better than the normal version. Very different beers though...

Kaggen! Stormaktsporter from Närke Kulturbryggeri AB