Kaggen! Stormaktsporter - Närke Kulturbryggeri AB

Wants: 1,327
Närke Kulturbryggeri AB visit their website
Sweden

Russian Imperial Stout |  10.00% ABV

The cask matured version of Stormaktsporter.

(Beer added by: baggio on 05-14-2008)

t0rin0, Nov 22, 2012

spycow, Nov 15, 2011
4.25/5  rDev -7.8%

zestar, Nov 21, 2013
4.93/5  rDev +6.9%

Huge thanks to a very generous BA for the chance to finally taste this one.

2007 Vintage

Pours jet black with a mocha head and a tad bit of lacing as it makes its way down. The smell is incredibly complex and quite forceful--I could actually get a pretty good whiff of it upon opening the bottle even before pouring it into my glass. Nose consisted of nearly every imperial stout adjective imaginable with great notes of chocolate fudge, vanilla, espresso, burnt dark fruits, roasted malt, and a bit of barrel characteristics. The taste brought things forward even more, really just layering the complexities in a very intense manner.

The chocolate fudge really stood out to me at time, but in all honesty it was really difficult to pick out individual throughout, as everything was just so well integrated. In essence, all I can really say is that this is exactly what an imperial stout should taste like. I would say that for a beer with this incredible amount of flavor, the feel was a bit thin. However, the carbonation was really nice and let the flavors shine through. Drinkability was just out of this world. I can't wait until the day when I get to try this again.

Thorpe429, Oct 06, 2010

GRG1313, Nov 23, 2011
4.78/5  rDev +3.7%

2008 Vintage bottle

The only beer I wanted to drink for my birthday, I had saved this for most of the last year, waiting for the day I could open it. Served cold and poured into a six ounce snifter, this one was consumed on 06/11/2010.

Pours the darkest, thickest, oiliest looking black right out of the bottle. This combines with a thick chocolate colored head that really just gives it that full and complete look. A monster looking stout and I was in heaven as the blacklights shine off the side of my glass. It should be noted half of this was enjoyed while I was walking around an arcade at 11:30 at night, the rest back at the room.

Aroma is exceptional and I would have expected nothing less. Deep notes of roasted malts, burnt licorice, oak, hints of leather and deep coffee and chocolate. Massively complex and rich. Warming brings out like touches of vanilla that are kissing the sides of it. Huge body and flavor here. Thick and exceptionally full bodied. This was an immense beer in every sense of the word. Deep and dark, foreboding with the huge flavor of roasted malts and rich vanilla and oak notes flooding my palate. Simply amazing. Sweet vanilla and sugary notes coming into play now and leaving a rich chocolate and vanilla filled finish that left my palate clean.

Overall every bit worthy of the hype. Easily one of the best 5 RIS I have ever had. Cannot imagine how good the regular version is as I have heard it blows the doors off this.

mikesgroove, Jun 13, 2010

ygtbsm94, Jan 12, 2012
4.7/5  rDev +2%

Enormous thanks go out to joragan (David) for bringing this one to the tasting yesterday.

A: The pour is thick and pretty much black as night with a small, creamy mocha colored foam.

S: Rich aromas of chocolate, coffee, honey, vanilla, and black cherries. There's a slight floral note to the beer as well which probably comes from the honey. The oak really imparts some incredible aromas to this beer, and I just can't stop smelling it.

T: Much like the nose, this one has plenty of barrel character. There's quite a bit of vanilla, a noticeable charred oak flavor, and a light smokiness. The chocolate, coffee, roasted malt, and dark fruits really come through on the palate as well.

M: The carbonation is very low, but that works well with this beer and it doesn't feel syrupy. It's quite viscous and creamy and really feels smooth on the tongue.

D: A really fantastic beer which I wish was more easily attainable. I would gladly enjoy this one several more times.

womencantsail, Feb 01, 2010

westcoastbeerlvr, Nov 14, 2011
4.83/5  rDev +4.8%

MasterSki was kind enough to cap off a weekend of drunken debauchery by sharing this one. Thanks, Alex. 2007 vintage.

Into a tulip, Kaggen pours black and opaque with a small but lasting dark tan head. A gentle swirl coats the glass with oily legs and a few wispy bubbles. Sticking my olfactory receptor into the glass reveals aromas of chocolate cake, honey, caramel and whiskey. This beer is brewed with heather, and you can tell; it has a slight gruit-like quality. Further inspection brings out a light fruity tartness, not unlike aged Port, and a hint of anise and vanilla. On the tongue I get even more fruit than the aroma suggests, lightly tart and lightly sweet, somewhat vinous in quality. Chocolate, caramel and vanilla follow with barrel tannins and a pleasant and subtle roasty astringency balancing the sweetness. Whiskey is present throughout, but the mellowness is amazing; this beer has no noticeable heat. The mouthfeel is velvety and full, but not American full-bodied; I could actually drink a pint of this without worrying about rising insulin levels. Just an all-around exceptional beer, far exceeding my expectations and well worth the exorbitant hype.

largadeer, Aug 17, 2009
4.28/5  rDev -7.2%

Served in a small snifter at 50-55º. 2007 vintage.
Wispy skim of tan foam, settling in a ghostly cirrus formation. Not much sticks around though to be honest... no lacing to speak of.

Huge aroma of loose leaf pipe tobacco and "red man" pouch tobacco, leather, maple, dried dark fruit... raisin, prune, and licorice. At room temperature it's somewhat woody with notes of pumpernickel bread and molasses.

Rich flavors of dark fruit (dried cherry) and tobacco, a hint of sherry cask oxidation, fudgy, woody and leathery. Mellow feel, slightly oily and syrupy. Best to split a bottle with friends. Not a "best ever" beer imho, but a good one. Hopefully will try a recent vintage someday to compare.

Thanks Kristina for sharing this bottle.

emerge077, Jul 18, 2011

RblWthACoz, Jan 17, 2013
4.88/5  rDev +5.9%

2006 version, purchased at Oliver Twist. I've got the '07 waiting for the right tasting event back home. The bottle was given to me WAY too cold, so I let it warm for a bit.

A - First, I don't generally dig snifters for my RIS consumption - they generally reduce head volume by quite a bit, and my favorite brews don't benefit much from the aroma "retention". In any case, it had a late-rising dark mocha, even slightly red, half-finger of foam that dissipated pretty quickly to a ring with a few bubbles at the surface and some "legs". Pitch black - there's some pretty lace that's generated with each sip but it quickly slides down the edges of the glass and back into the abyss. It actually looked a lot like Dave's (d0b) pour of the Cigar City 110K+OT in my Darkness snifter. I'm going to give it the benefit of the doubt, but if I get subpar head volume in a different vessel next time I may dock this a half point.

S - Sweet Jesus - this thing smells epic. Huge whiskey, vanilla, oak, dark fruits, honey, roasted malts, tobacco, semi-sweet chocolate, coffee, molasses, and probably all the other descriptors used by my reviewing colleagues. The closest comparison I can think of was the incredible BA Decadence '07, but this brew brings a slight sour note to the table that is almost a little reminiscent of the most recent Perseguidor (batch 4). I'm not sure how much time this brew sits in the barrel, or whether Swedish whiskey is more conducive to "bugs" but it's a wonderful addition that adds a touch of depth and richness that can be lacking in other BA beers. There's not a trace of astringent alcohol either.

T - OK - you can pretty much taste everything listed in the smell, as there is really no drop-off in complexity. Whiskey, vanilla, wood, bittersweet chocolate, dark fruit, roastiness - they're all here. Near the back end of the palate it fleetingly moves into BA barleywine territory somehow, with the burnt molasses flavor in there, but then it finishes with huge tannins and oak - like on par with Toronado 20th here. I'm at a loss here, because I keep picking up slight sour beer elements that my fellow colleagues didn't mention - perhaps this is caused by the age, or the barrel used? In any case, it's as if someone took an amazing BA beer like Decadence and spiked it with a touch of Consecration or something.

M - There's a little heat to go with the full silky smooth body and lots of stickiness. The residual feel is that "I've been licking a piece of wood" kind of thing that shows up in barrel-aged brews. Fairly mild carbonation. No complaints here.

D - This is the only place I can really knock this brew. I was worried the 250ml bottle wouldn't be enough for me to really enjoy and reflect on, but it was plenty. The alcohol is well hidden, but the buzz creeps up pretty fast. Also, the heavy tannic finish and the somewhat mind-blowing flavor depth make this a true evening-ender. But what an evening!

It's not very often that a brew comes along that changes my perception of what a style can do. I'm not sure if the slight sour notes were intentional, or a by-product of the barrel aging process, but any beer that marries the best of brews like BA Decadence, Parabola, and Bell's BB Double/Cream Expo blend with stuff like Toronado 20th and Persguidor opens up my mind and palate to the amazing possibilities of beer. I understand this stuff is hard to get, but it should be tried be every beer lover at least once.

MasterSki, Jul 09, 2009
4.8/5  rDev +4.1%

Look everyone, I'm finally in the Kaggen! club. I had pretty much written off this beer to some distant future, after the kids had grown and left the nest the wife and I take a trip to Europe for a month and I would drink the rarest Cantillons and shot gun bottles of Kaggen!...distant distant future, far after the Mayan calendar destroys us all and most of Europe is underwater as a direct result of the war with cyborgs. BUT, Thorpe429 moved that time table up 30 years with a casual invite to come over and help him slay this treasure. I was eager to provide my assistance. Thanks Mike. Might not get another opportunity to do this for several years / decades, I am very appreciative.

Served in a tulip, 2007 vintage. Beer is black. Thin head that breaks and floats toward the walls of the glass, no lacing, the head is a little sad, hard to motivate, carbonation is low, looks like a big stout to me!

Yep, this beer smells perfect. I could have smelled it all day long, just smelled it. I didn't want to drink it, I was afraid I couldn't smell it anymore. This feeling was universal I have to say. There was chocolate and vanilla in there, a healthy but not overly oakiness as well. There is sweetness and mild alcohol but its not cloying or hot at all. Its very "complex" -- it almost turns to a liquor aroma after a while, a mild whiskey or something slightly fruitier, but its not oxidized.

Beer is a little lighter in the body than I was expecting but I suppose I should have been expecting the way it was due to the ABV being so high. Leads off with a definite sweetness, mild alcohol but its not drying. Great palate connectivity, the beer sort of coats the tongue, lingering with these subtle fruit flavors and general sweetness, creamy in the mouth, no help from carbonation at this point but this beer doesn't even need it. Its a very good beer. Have it again? Definitely. If I ever get a hold of a bottle of this, it will be shared with a group of beer nerds who fantasize about this as much as I had.

drabmuh, Oct 06, 2010
4.9/5  rDev +6.3%

From 6/12/10 notes. Got to sample this side by side with the normal Stormaktsporter thanks to nimbleprop, huge thanks Mac! 2007 vintage.

a - Pours a dark brown color with an inch of tan head and light carbonation evident.

s - Smells of oak, chocolate, roasted malts, dark fruits, and vanilla. Hint of coffee.

t - Tastes of oak, chocolate, coffee, vanilla, and dark fruits.

m - Moderate to light carbonation and medium body. Smooth and very easy to drink.

d - As I mentioned in my Stormaktsporter review, I thought they were both very similiar, but amazing. I think the normal version has more dark fruits, while Kaggen! has more oak to it (which I prefered). Both are easily 2 of the best beers I have ever had, and I would love to try them again some time.

mdfb79, Jun 15, 2010

Rochefort10nh, Apr 13, 2014
4.9/5  rDev +6.3%

I purchased a bottle of this (2006 vintage) in July 2011 at Akkurat in Stockholm, Sweden for the staggering price of 375 kroner. It was a real bank breaker, but a treat as well. Reviewed from extensive notes. I was skeptical going into this beer, as I feel you have to be if people are claiming it's the best beer in the world (or even for the style).

Served from the bottle into a standard stemware glass (25cl) at Akkurat.

A: Pours a 2.5 finger head of beautiful brown-ruby colour, lovely cream, and brilliant thickness. Retention is excellent in general, but astounding for the high ABV. I love the unique colour of the creamy head. Solid nontransparent black colour. Very fucking appealing.

Sm: Chocolate, cream, raspberry (and maybe cherry) esters [but not "dark" esters as with Westvleteren 12], toffee, vanilla, slight roast, and another ester me broken nose can't identify (all apologies as usual, lads). The aroma is clean and of moderate strength. No alcohol comes through.

T: Chocolate, excellent subtle cream, vanilla, toffee truffle, some sort of fruit esters on the fringe, and cherry esters (which are dark and buried, but still contribute). No caramel. It's delightfully subtle and deep. Incredibly complex. I love it. No alcohol comes through in the taste. Some slight caramelized malt comes through on the finish, which feels a bit out of place, upsetting the near-perfect balance. Brilliantly and carefully built.

Mf: Amazingly soft and delicate. Silky smooth. Creamy, but not overly so. Perfectly complements the flavours. Really extraordinary and artful. On a level of sophistication rarely seen except perhaps in Westvleteren 12 and 8. Truly perfect.

Dr: No alcohol comes through. It's a treat. I love the complexity. It's meant to be savored. Lives up to the hype. I wouldn't call it a perfect beer but it's pretty damn close. There are only two noticeable flaws: the price (which doesn't affect my rating) and the caramelized malt on the finish, which is a touch out of place. I wish it were more available as well. I can't speculate on how the aging affects it, as the 2006 is the only one I've tried (and probably the only one I ever will). I was thinking while I was drinking it whether it was truly better than the Westvleteren 12 (if that's even a fair comparison), and I think it's very close, but ultimately this is better. I'd have to have them side by side for a true comparison (yeah right!).

kojevergas, Sep 15, 2011

imperialking, Jun 07, 2013

drewone, Mar 25, 2014
4.25/5  rDev -7.8%

yourefragile, Jan 18, 2013

2005 vintage in bottle sampled at Akkurat in Stockholm, Sweden. Pours pitch black with thin dark brown foam head. Aroma consists of roasted chocolate maltiness, coffee, toffee, caramel and loads of tart oakiness and bourbon. This beer is extremely smooth and quaffable. Roasty flavor up front with smooth creamy center and sweet bitter dry finish. Flavor dominated by excellent oak and bourbon flavors that are balanced with chocolate, coffee, toffee, caramel and a dry hop finish. Excellent! Lives up to the hype and the $65 price tag.

corby112, Aug 20, 2009
4.65/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

One of my long time wants. I brought this one to the Pre-Ffej of July party to share with the usual suspects. I hope you guys liked it as much as I did. '08 Bottle served right after the regular version.

A - Pours opaque black with a small half finger tall mocha colored head leaving little to no lacing down the glass.

S - Smells just like the regular version with a few extra things tossed in. Compared to the regular version this one has a bit more vanilla, charred oak, peat whiskey, and just the faintest sour note. Excellent stuff.

T - Just like the regular version the taste is a bit of a letdown from that amazing nose but with the addition of the cask maturation it has really helped to round things out. Hints of rich bakers chocolate, sweet vanilla and charred oak tannins, licorice, dark fruits, and a tiny bit of light soy sauce. Only the faintest hint of alcohol creeps in as it comes to room temperature. The finish is a mix of sweet dark roast and some dry wood tannins, lingering for a short period of time.

M - Heavy body and flavor with moderate carbonation. Silky smooth feel with a mix of sweetness and dryness lingering through the finish. Only the faintest hint of booze can be detected.

O - Damn, I really wish I had a few more of these. I don't like to say that a specific beer is the best I have ever had, but if you asked me what is the best RIS I have had this would be near the top of my list. I am glad I could share this one with a few people who could appreciate it as much as I did.

orangesol, Jul 13, 2011
4.55/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

I had a sample of the 2007 at RBSG 2010 and when kbutler1 cracked a 2008 bottle I was pretty jacked.

Decided to listen to some O Fortuna for this review

Poured into CCB snifter.

Pours 1/2 finger of tan head that fades down to a ring. Leaves some splattered lace.

Aroma: Lots of oak up front. Amazing amount. Chocolaty and velvety. Very rich. Vanilla notes with hints of caramel. The oak is dominate, but in a good way. Very warming.

Taste: Starts out a bit muted, but then the flavors hit. Huge oak again with vanilla. Roasted malt and chocolate. It is so silky smooth. Very rich. Caramel notes. Dried fruit flavors. I get a dose of licorice in the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Rich, velvety, smooth, warming. A great mouthfeel to it. Full bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. Ends very oaky.

Overall, the oak in this beer was spot on. It was the keynote in this beer, but didn't distract from the other flavors. Very drinkable. It is a shame it comes in such a small bottle. Thanks Kevin for sharing this one!

EDIT: as the beer warms, I finally get the honey flavors and it becomes more sweet. I like it.

mothman, Sep 19, 2010
4.88/5  rDev +5.9%

Shared by ygtbsm94. Thanks a lot, Brad! Served alongside Stormaktsporter.

2009 vintage

The beer appears quite similar to the standard version. Dark brown, nearing black, with a dark beige head that leaves an oily film gently descending the snifter.

A distinctly European aroma. It seems to me that Närke, Nøgne Ø, Mikkeller, etc. possess distinctive characteristics not found in American stouts. Hooray for diversity and the unique aspects found in beers throughout the world. Anyhow...the beer smells terrific. Roast, chocolate, barrels, a touch of booze.

The flavor does not disappoint. Thick, chewy, viscous stout that coats the palate and melts in your mouth. The barrel character is outstanding. Present, but not overbearing. Beautifully balanced. Dark fruits, chocolate, roast, malt, barrels blending together in harmony.

Highly recommended, should you have the good fortune to sample this.

Huhzubendah, May 29, 2012