1. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Stormaktsporter - Närke Kulturbryggeri AB

StormaktsporterStormaktsporter

Närke Kulturbryggeri AB visit their website
Sweden

Russian Imperial Stout |  9.00% ABV

For the cask matured version of this beer, please do a search for "Kaggen!".

(Beer added by: HopHead84 on 01-11-2009)
Reviews by BearsOnAcid:
4.72/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Black body, small brown head.

Nose hits you with heavily roasted malts, moderate smoke, dark chocolate, a little dark fruit, some sweetness. Taste is extraordinary. Incredibly well balanced between the ashy bitterness, rich malt sweetness, smoke, and alcohol. Neither attributes fight for dominance.

This beer is just incredible and is easily one of the best imperial stouts I’ve ever had. I would chose this over the Kaggen. The beer’s complexity gets lost in the barrel. The charred coffee flavor that lingers on the palate as the decadent fudgey sweetness fades away is beautiful.

Mouthfeel is creamy and the beer beckons you to come back for another sip to pull apart all its layers.

4.22/5  rDev -5.4%

Huge thanks to ericandersnavy for sharing this bottle. This is one of those beers I never thought I would get to try. 2008 vintage.

The beer pours a dark brown to black color with a few brown bubbles, but nothing really resembling a head. The aroma is heavy on the chocolate with a little bit of soy and roasted malt.

The flavor is a little bit better than the aroma. I get a lot of chocolate and roasted malt, with a little bit of smoke mixed in. I also get some hotness from the alcohol.

Medium carbonation and thick mouthfeel. Very nice.

4.83/5  rDev +8.3%

Well, here we go. This was the 100th give this one Imperial Stout I've rated over on RB, which is a big deal considering that's my favorite style (and second most rated after IPA). 250ml bottle via trade, huge thanks to bierkoning over on "the other site." 2008 vintage, released in 2009. Shared at a very small tasting with a few guys from BA.

The appearance is awesome. Pours darkest brown, not quite black, with a creamy tan head that settles over time, eventually leaving smooth thin foam and swirls in the beer.

Aroma is roasty and complex, with chocolate, coffee, anise, spices, and dark fruits. Nothing overpowers and it all works really well together.

Flavor is similarly complex and amazing. Caramel, chocolate, toffee, dark fruits (raisin, plum, date), vanilla, herbal and floral notes, maybe even some hops.

Very smooth and creamy on the mouthfeel with medium-full body and an incredibly long finish.

Overall, not quite as awesome as Kaggen, but still an absolute masterpiece of a beer. Ridiculously high drinkability.

4.4/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A massive thanks goes out to cmrillo for bringing this one out during his own 40 Beers* @ 40 Birthday Bash! Can’t believe I got to try this one!!! 2008 Vintage! Served from bottle into a Mikkeller taster flute. Poured pitch black with a minimal tan head. Maintained excellent lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of roasted malt, wood, smoke, caramel, meat, and sweet alcohol. The flavor was of roasted malt, wood, smoke, cigar, tobacco, subtle vanilla, and subtle sweet alcohol. It had a heavy feel on the palate with medium carbonation. Overall this brew was quite good. I was still shocked to see this one come out during cmrillo’s birthday party. The flavor on this one was nothing short of excellent. I really surprised at how well all the components mixed together to bring this one together. The cigar and tobacco flavors were the ones I found most shocking based on the aroma. However, they really worked well with this brew. The only reason the aroma didn’t score really high marks was due to the intensity of it being fairly weak compared to the flavor. I really can’t say enough good about this one if I am honest. Really hope to get to try it again in the future.

4.58/5  rDev +2.7%

I walked into a back-alley with my eyes closed and walked out with an unlabeled bottle of this guy. 2009, poured at cellar temp. Split 3 ways. I hate nip bottles. Thanks Ryan.

A - Black with mocha head, goes to nice lacing. Decent legs, but great retention. 4.25, rounding up.

S - Cocoa, light bread, roast. Good stuff.

T - Roast, strong cocoa, light dryness, cocoa sticks, mild yet present heat in the end. Tough to see how it stays/fades with less than 3oz...f'n nips. Cocoa finish is so strong. Although the flavors come togetherA quite well, the cocoa throughout and the strong finish are what really stand out to me. The roast is there but doesn't take over.

M - Medium, but silky smooth. Considering my preference towards thick RIS, the best I can do is a 4.5. My unbiased ways bring this one down to reality.

O - Haha. Well, this one lives up to the hype for me. I enjoyed the hell out of it. We compared it to a fresh Courage and it made Courage look like a fool. Courage is great, btw. This is maybe the best non-BA RIS I've had. I know I've said that before, probably for Luscious, but this is better than Luscious.

4.38/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Generously shared by Alex, probably wouldn't get to try otherwise. 2006 vintage, in a Goose taster glass.

Inky black, initial skim of mocha foam fades to a decent ring at the edge. Expected given the ABV. Swirling it exhibits a sticky tan coating on the glass.

Rich aromas of molasses, licorice, dark fruit such as currants and plum. A mellow confectionary sweetness.

Heavy roast, lightly viscous, bakers & Belgian chocolate, currant/plum/grape, slightly peppery. Dark roast and some tobacco notes linger in the long lasting aftertaste. It's rich but easy to sip, very smooth without being overwhelming. There was minor oxidation in this vintage bottle, but it didn't distract. Not too far off from American classics like Stone IRS, yet this is unique and worth seeking out for sure.

Thanks again Alex!

4.88/5  rDev +9.4%

Huge thanks to Bosse for this one, I had been wanting to try it forever and decided to end my first evening of vacation, quietly sipping on this in a lovely white birch glass. Consumed on 08/07/2010.

A thick and inky black pour welcomes me into the session. Dark as night with a creamy mocha colored head on top that rises to a height that was near a fingers depth. Settling down it left some nice lacing that dripped down the sides of the glass.

Aroma is warming, huge chocolate notes, hints of vanilla, a touch of light coffee as it warms. It is very full, but yet very welcoming would be the best way to put it. As it comes up to room temperature it just seems to fit. Unlike some big ris that can come off, well just too big, this is mellow with the roasted malts and chocolate soothing and each sip just perfect. It is not trying to push the envelope and there is no huge alcohol warming from this. Smooth, decadent and perfectly placed I literally could have sipped on this one for days, it was just that good. Final sips revealed a touch of licorice bitterness but a mostly vanilla and cocoa led sweetness that was more then what I could have asked for.

Overall I did like this 2008 version better then kaggen! only due to its subtly and just nearly flawless presentation. If I could I would have this one every day.

4.5/5  rDev +0.9%

4.19/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Tiny 2008 bottle split three ways. Thanks Don - without you I would never drink whales!

Appearance is dark brown with very little head. Consistent color throughout.

Smells of leather and some burnt grain. A little smoke and then some sweetness at the end.

Initial taste is dark fruit with some chocolate notes. Smoke comes through towards the end but very subtle and smooth. Taste lingers and expands leaving hints of dried cherry and more chocolate.

Mouthfeel is nice but nothing amazing. I wouldn't describe it as thin but I like a bit more viscosity from this style.

Really enjoyable beer. Don't share it with more than two friends - the small bottle split three ways was about right.

4.83/5  rDev +8.3%

Shared by nickd717. Thanks, Nick! 2008 vintage.

Black in the glass, faintly translucent and topped by a two finger mocha-colored head that retains well for a stout this big. The aroma is intensely chocolatey and roasty. Slight vinous notes are noticeable beneath the scent of rich milk chocolate, and there are hints of licorice, molasses and honey. Remarkably nuanced and complex. On the tongue it opens with chocolate and molasses, followed by spicy licorice, sharp roastiness, honey and a touch of caramel. Medium-full in body, mellow yet infinitely complex and drinkable. The finish is mildly roasty and bitter with a touch of smoke and licorice. Phenomenal.

4.5/5  rDev +0.9%

4.9/5  rDev +9.9%

Holy jesus! I wasn't expecting this one to be found soon (at least not by me as I live so for away from the bigger cities of Sweden), but luckily I went to Gothenburg and found this one on-tap(!).

Looks really good, a deep black color with a nice, tight, beige foam. Really nice, the looks almost makes me drool.

Aroma is crazy, tons of honey, rosted malts, slightly hoppy notes. But there are also hints of fudge and slight notes of raisins which gives it a slightly wineous hint. Great! It's hard to describe how good it smells, I really wish for every fan of beer to be able to try this one on-tap.

Now to the taste. How is it? Loads of honey, molasses, fudge, chocolate, vanilla and hints of those earlier mentioned raisins. It is hard to develope the description of the taste further, this has got to be tried out.

4.83/5  rDev +8.3%

2008 vintage bottle split with younger35 and natasharai this afternoon. I would like to preface this review by stating that I prefer this beer over the more heralded barrel aged version, and I'm glad I was able to share the wealth

Pours black into a 4 oz. taster glass...not the ideal vessel for reviewing the appearance of a beer--but really, who cares what it looks like anyway. Going to score appearance so that my final score is in line with what I think this beer deserves.

The aroma is a nice mix of chocolate, marshmallow, and citrus hops. Not brash and bold, but still deep and complex. The flavor is similar in that sense. Lots of toasty wood and marshmallow, with layers of chocolate and coffee bean bitterness, with a finish of resiny hops and a healthy dose of smokiness. The body is between medium and full, and the carbonation is soft making for a nice creamy feel.

After only 3 oz. I was sad to see the bottom of my glass. This is a beer that I could drink a bottle of every night for the rest of my life. It is not your typical beefed up "top tier" Imperial Stout...there would be no mistaking this for something like Dark Lord or Darkness. Just a very easy drinking, complex, subtle masterpiece of a beer.

For comparison's sake, I personally felt that this beer was similar to the best batches of HOTD Adam. But maybe even better. World class for sure.

4.58/5  rDev +2.7%

008 vintage bottle. Let me begin by saying I actually preferred this version to the Kaggen. The pour was dark brown with light oily edges and a beautiful foamy brown head. Great oily lacing like DarkLord. Bold roasted malt aromas. This stout is so thick and chewy with huge roasted malt notes paired wonderfully with caramel and coffee undercurrents. I didn’t pick the honey flavors out, but I think they are what help make this a superbly balanced beer with just a hint of roasted bitterness in the finish....

Stormaktsporter from Närke Kulturbryggeri AB