Stormaktsporter - Närke Kulturbryggeri AB

Närke Kulturbryggeri AB visit their website
Sweden

Russian Imperial Stout |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: HopHead84 on 01-11-2009

For the cask matured version of this beer, please do a search for "Kaggen!".
to view more.
Ratings: 93 | Reviews: 46
Reviews by dboon:
4.58/5  rDev +2.7%

008 vintage bottle. Let me begin by saying I actually preferred this version to the Kaggen. The pour was dark brown with light oily edges and a beautiful foamy brown head. Great oily lacing like DarkLord. Bold roasted malt aromas. This stout is so thick and chewy with huge roasted malt notes paired wonderfully with caramel and coffee undercurrents. I didn’t pick the honey flavors out, but I think they are what help make this a superbly balanced beer with just a hint of roasted bitterness in the finish....

4.2/5  rDev -5.8%

Huge thanks to ericandersnavy for sharing this bottle. This is one of those beers I never thought I would get to try. 2008 vintage.

The beer pours a dark brown to black color with a few brown bubbles, but nothing really resembling a head. The aroma is heavy on the chocolate with a little bit of soy and roasted malt.

The flavor is a little bit better than the aroma. I get a lot of chocolate and roasted malt, with a little bit of smoke mixed in. I also get some hotness from the alcohol.

Medium carbonation and thick mouthfeel. Very nice.

4.8/5  rDev +7.6%

Well, here we go. This was the 100th give this one Imperial Stout I've rated over on RB, which is a big deal considering that's my favorite style (and second most rated after IPA). 250ml bottle via trade, huge thanks to bierkoning over on "the other site." 2008 vintage, released in 2009. Shared at a very small tasting with a few guys from BA.

The appearance is awesome. Pours darkest brown, not quite black, with a creamy tan head that settles over time, eventually leaving smooth thin foam and swirls in the beer.

Aroma is roasty and complex, with chocolate, coffee, anise, spices, and dark fruits. Nothing overpowers and it all works really well together.

Flavor is similarly complex and amazing. Caramel, chocolate, toffee, dark fruits (raisin, plum, date), vanilla, herbal and floral notes, maybe even some hops.

Very smooth and creamy on the mouthfeel with medium-full body and an incredibly long finish.

Overall, not quite as awesome as Kaggen, but still an absolute masterpiece of a beer. Ridiculously high drinkability.

4.38/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A massive thanks goes out to cmrillo for bringing this one out during his own 40 Beers* @ 40 Birthday Bash! Can’t believe I got to try this one!!! 2008 Vintage! Served from bottle into a Mikkeller taster flute. Poured pitch black with a minimal tan head. Maintained excellent lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of roasted malt, wood, smoke, caramel, meat, and sweet alcohol. The flavor was of roasted malt, wood, smoke, cigar, tobacco, subtle vanilla, and subtle sweet alcohol. It had a heavy feel on the palate with medium carbonation. Overall this brew was quite good. I was still shocked to see this one come out during cmrillo’s birthday party. The flavor on this one was nothing short of excellent. I really surprised at how well all the components mixed together to bring this one together. The cigar and tobacco flavors were the ones I found most shocking based on the aroma. However, they really worked well with this brew. The only reason the aroma didn’t score really high marks was due to the intensity of it being fairly weak compared to the flavor. I really can’t say enough good about this one if I am honest. Really hope to get to try it again in the future.

4.53/5  rDev +1.6%

I walked into a back-alley with my eyes closed and walked out with an unlabeled bottle of this guy. 2009, poured at cellar temp. Split 3 ways. I hate nip bottles. Thanks Ryan.

A - Black with mocha head, goes to nice lacing. Decent legs, but great retention. 4.25, rounding up.

S - Cocoa, light bread, roast. Good stuff.

T - Roast, strong cocoa, light dryness, cocoa sticks, mild yet present heat in the end. Tough to see how it stays/fades with less than 3oz...f'n nips. Cocoa finish is so strong. Although the flavors come togetherA quite well, the cocoa throughout and the strong finish are what really stand out to me. The roast is there but doesn't take over.

M - Medium, but silky smooth. Considering my preference towards thick RIS, the best I can do is a 4.5. My unbiased ways bring this one down to reality.

O - Haha. Well, this one lives up to the hype for me. I enjoyed the hell out of it. We compared it to a fresh Courage and it made Courage look like a fool. Courage is great, btw. This is maybe the best non-BA RIS I've had. I know I've said that before, probably for Luscious, but this is better than Luscious.

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Generously shared by Alex, probably wouldn't get to try otherwise. 2006 vintage, in a Goose taster glass.

Inky black, initial skim of mocha foam fades to a decent ring at the edge. Expected given the ABV. Swirling it exhibits a sticky tan coating on the glass.

Rich aromas of molasses, licorice, dark fruit such as currants and plum. A mellow confectionary sweetness.

Heavy roast, lightly viscous, bakers & Belgian chocolate, currant/plum/grape, slightly peppery. Dark roast and some tobacco notes linger in the long lasting aftertaste. It's rich but easy to sip, very smooth without being overwhelming. There was minor oxidation in this vintage bottle, but it didn't distract. Not too far off from American classics like Stone IRS, yet this is unique and worth seeking out for sure.

Thanks again Alex!

4.87/5  rDev +9.2%

Huge thanks to Bosse for this one, I had been wanting to try it forever and decided to end my first evening of vacation, quietly sipping on this in a lovely white birch glass. Consumed on 08/07/2010.

A thick and inky black pour welcomes me into the session. Dark as night with a creamy mocha colored head on top that rises to a height that was near a fingers depth. Settling down it left some nice lacing that dripped down the sides of the glass.

Aroma is warming, huge chocolate notes, hints of vanilla, a touch of light coffee as it warms. It is very full, but yet very welcoming would be the best way to put it. As it comes up to room temperature it just seems to fit. Unlike some big ris that can come off, well just too big, this is mellow with the roasted malts and chocolate soothing and each sip just perfect. It is not trying to push the envelope and there is no huge alcohol warming from this. Smooth, decadent and perfectly placed I literally could have sipped on this one for days, it was just that good. Final sips revealed a touch of licorice bitterness but a mostly vanilla and cocoa led sweetness that was more then what I could have asked for.

Overall I did like this 2008 version better then kaggen! only due to its subtly and just nearly flawless presentation. If I could I would have this one every day.

4.19/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Tiny 2008 bottle split three ways. Thanks Don - without you I would never drink whales!

Appearance is dark brown with very little head. Consistent color throughout.

Smells of leather and some burnt grain. A little smoke and then some sweetness at the end.

Initial taste is dark fruit with some chocolate notes. Smoke comes through towards the end but very subtle and smooth. Taste lingers and expands leaving hints of dried cherry and more chocolate.

Mouthfeel is nice but nothing amazing. I wouldn't describe it as thin but I like a bit more viscosity from this style.

Really enjoyable beer. Don't share it with more than two friends - the small bottle split three ways was about right.

4.82/5  rDev +8.1%

Shared by nickd717. Thanks, Nick! 2008 vintage.

Black in the glass, faintly translucent and topped by a two finger mocha-colored head that retains well for a stout this big. The aroma is intensely chocolatey and roasty. Slight vinous notes are noticeable beneath the scent of rich milk chocolate, and there are hints of licorice, molasses and honey. Remarkably nuanced and complex. On the tongue it opens with chocolate and molasses, followed by spicy licorice, sharp roastiness, honey and a touch of caramel. Medium-full in body, mellow yet infinitely complex and drinkable. The finish is mildly roasty and bitter with a touch of smoke and licorice. Phenomenal.

4.7/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Black body, small brown head.

Nose hits you with heavily roasted malts, moderate smoke, dark chocolate, a little dark fruit, some sweetness. Taste is extraordinary. Incredibly well balanced between the ashy bitterness, rich malt sweetness, smoke, and alcohol. Neither attributes fight for dominance.

This beer is just incredible and is easily one of the best imperial stouts I’ve ever had. I would chose this over the Kaggen. The beer’s complexity gets lost in the barrel. The charred coffee flavor that lingers on the palate as the decadent fudgey sweetness fades away is beautiful.

Mouthfeel is creamy and the beer beckons you to come back for another sip to pull apart all its layers.

4.9/5  rDev +9.9%

Holy jesus! I wasn't expecting this one to be found soon (at least not by me as I live so for away from the bigger cities of Sweden), but luckily I went to Gothenburg and found this one on-tap(!).

Looks really good, a deep black color with a nice, tight, beige foam. Really nice, the looks almost makes me drool.

Aroma is crazy, tons of honey, rosted malts, slightly hoppy notes. But there are also hints of fudge and slight notes of raisins which gives it a slightly wineous hint. Great! It's hard to describe how good it smells, I really wish for every fan of beer to be able to try this one on-tap.

Now to the taste. How is it? Loads of honey, molasses, fudge, chocolate, vanilla and hints of those earlier mentioned raisins. It is hard to develope the description of the taste further, this has got to be tried out.

4.8/5  rDev +7.6%

2008 vintage bottle split with younger35 and natasharai this afternoon. I would like to preface this review by stating that I prefer this beer over the more heralded barrel aged version, and I'm glad I was able to share the wealth

Pours black into a 4 oz. taster glass...not the ideal vessel for reviewing the appearance of a beer--but really, who cares what it looks like anyway. Going to score appearance so that my final score is in line with what I think this beer deserves.

The aroma is a nice mix of chocolate, marshmallow, and citrus hops. Not brash and bold, but still deep and complex. The flavor is similar in that sense. Lots of toasty wood and marshmallow, with layers of chocolate and coffee bean bitterness, with a finish of resiny hops and a healthy dose of smokiness. The body is between medium and full, and the carbonation is soft making for a nice creamy feel.

After only 3 oz. I was sad to see the bottom of my glass. This is a beer that I could drink a bottle of every night for the rest of my life. It is not your typical beefed up "top tier" Imperial Stout...there would be no mistaking this for something like Dark Lord or Darkness. Just a very easy drinking, complex, subtle masterpiece of a beer.

For comparison's sake, I personally felt that this beer was similar to the best batches of HOTD Adam. But maybe even better. World class for sure.

4.22/5  rDev -5.4%

Huge thanks to Alex for this bottle. 2008 vintage shared at a recent tasting and served in a snifter.

The pour brings a near-black liquid with a nice, healthy mocha-colored head that persists for just a bit before settling down into a thin cap that eventually disperses into a collar. No real lacing on the sides of the glass, but there are a few bubbles here and there. The nose is pretty powerful and is initially dominated by some strong roasted malt character. As it warms, the heavy roast subsides and some nice notes of chocolate as well as a touch of vanilla. Some faint espresso notes in the background as well.

Unfortunately, the taste doesn't nearly live up to the nose and is quite a bit behind Kaggen! in this department. The heavy roast does not really subside as it warms. Given this, any potential underlying complexity does not shine through. There are some chocolate and coffee notes in the background along with a pinch of vanilla, but I definitely had to search for them. At the same time, if a beer is going to be roast-heavy, this hits it pretty well. Body is medium with good carbonation, though the finish has a slightly-bitter dryness coming from the roasted malt. Overall, I'm really glad to finally try this one and compare thoughts with Kaggen!, though in the end the barrel-aged version of this beer is much, much better.

4.25/5  rDev -4.7%

I was waiting until review #1500 to put this one in. Huge thanks to dfclav for cracking this, the feature item at the stouts and spiders tasting of 2011. Kaggen! is one of my biggest whales, and this is about as close as I'll come anytime soon.

Pours with no head or any white bubbles at all, pours like pure waste motor oil, just thick liquid that is thicker than anything I remember recently, more solid than liquid I think. The beer is essentially, wait not essentially, it IS pitch black, pure dark matter of a thick gooey substance.

Nose explodes though, lots of dark malts. Loaded with chocolate and roast. It has like a syrupy aroma as syrup from roasted coffee beans, with more espresso dark roast coffee, dark roasted malt bitterness, and a hint of char. Then more caramel, touch of vanilla, syrupy but aged soft old malt aromas and just a hint of an oak like aroma. Then more chocolate and baker's chocolate cut through, with a touch of dark fruit and honey. A bit more char as it warms as well.

Taste starts creamy and velvety and a bit syrupy, with more bitter roast. Charred malts really come through with a bit of soy sauce and salty briny taste, as well as over charred scorched coffee beans (like the coffee at Starbucks cooked to no oblivion like Dunkin Donuts). It even starts to get a bit ashy like charred barrel. A bit more roasted barley but not too heavy, with more coffee flavors, espresso dark roast coffee but not a lot. Syrup and oils from the coffee beans as well. A silky smooth rich malty base with a touch of caramel and vanilla. A weird almost woody ester flavor also comes through even though I don't think there is any oak in this. As it starts to finish more chocolate come through, very dark and baker's chocolate, with a touch of milk chocolate. Then it brings a bit of fruit, raisin, molasses, etc.

It finally finishes slightly bitter from the roast and coats the mouth for hours after, syrupy and malty. Then more chocolate, almost malted milk ball, like it comes in waves. Then more roasted burnt coffee bitterness, and a bit of oxidation.

Mouth is super thick and rich, luscious, smooth, with no carb, and slight hint of booze.

Overall great, but not super great. I had huge expectations for this one and it kinda let me down but wasn't that much. It was still a great beer, just not up to the huge expectations I had for it. reminds me a lot of fresh Dark Lord, in both tastes, mouth feel, and final "doesn't live up to the hype", and esp all the over burnt flavors. Still a great beer worth seeking out if you can get it. I really want to get a hold of the Kaggen!

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Review #1650. Thanks to Sean for the birthday share. 2008 vintage.

A - Black beer, little bit of browning on the edges. Small brown head with some moderate retention and some minor spots left on the glass.

S - Nice roasted grains, just a tiny touch of char on the end. The thing that really jumped out on this one to me was a honey aroma. Quite nice.

T - Taste is very nice. Good roast balanced out with some molasses and a little bit of coffee and cocoa. The honey comes through quite well, but doesn't overpower any of the other flavors. Goes down quite easily.

M - Smooth, little bit heavier side of medium bodied, just a little bit thin for the style. No real sense of any alcohol in this.

O - Fantastic RIS. Wish I could drink a couple of bottles myself to really get a feel for it as the 25 cl size is mostly a tease. Would like to drink again.

4.78/5  rDev +7.2%

May 2012, I opened up this bottle in Sweden at a tasting with my Swedish friends that featured a vertical of 2006, 2007 and 2008 Stormaktsporter and 2007 and 2008 Kaggen! Stormaktsporter.

This what I thought in comparison to the Stormaktsporter to the other vintages and to the Kaggen!

A - midnight black beer pours forth from all 3 botles. All 3 years have the same squid ink color to it but I am noticing less carbonation on the 2007 than the other two years. The amber colored foam slowly settles and some lacing remains on all the glasses.

S - Strong roasted malts, a little bit of a sweetness to the nose that I believe reminds me of (strangely enough chocolate carrot cake). There is definetely some anise in the nose and I notice that the 2008 has more of a stronger chocolate nose to it with a what I could almost swear is a burnt cork smell (even though it's not oak aged. Where am I getting this from?) . The 2006 has lots more of a roasted burnt coffee smell to it and the anise nose is slightly faded away. Smells absolutely heavenly and it's because no one characteristic in the nose for either three years dominates my senses.

T - Shockingly well balanced. Nothing is overly sweet. 2006 is holding up and I see no faults with any of these three being past its prime or peak. I would have expected some muted flatness to perhaps show up with the age but it's holding itself extremely well and I can't taste oxidation like I did when drinking Olfrabrikken Porter 2007 the same night.. Good god how is this holding up so well? I think that I prefer 2006 the most because I'm not the biggest fan of the anise and I love how mellowed out it has become with the roastiness of the malts really settling in..

M - Carbonation is minimal and there is less body than I expected. The thinness in the body is the most disappointing part but at the same time I shouldn't be expecting to chew my imperial stouts..

O - I'm glad I have enough to share and drink for coming years. This is really remarkable and I'm shocked that all 3 can hold up after these years..

4.95/5  rDev +11%

Pours a true black, not too much head, but that was probably due to the careful pour, had to ration it evenly! It swirls up great in the glass though, a beautiful dark brown head, that leaves creamy brown spotted lacing on the glass.

Smells surprisingly fresh and light! And light in a really good way, as in that nothing is overpowering or sickly. But not light as in easy or non-complex, oh no! There are a truckload of different aromas here, starting up with roasted rye bread and dark chocolate, honey, plums, prunes, dried figs and herbs. There are also a light tartness to it all that makes me think of ripe red berries, raspberries in particular.

Powerful taste, huge taste. Starts off roasted, almost a bit burnt, but not overpowering, not at all, you can all the while feel the awesome flavours behind it! I get rye bread and chocolate, faint hint of espresso coffee and a very light sweetness reminiscent of honey and ripe strawberries and maybe blackberries. As the initial roasted feel resceeds for a while, a pleasant and light buttery sensation steps forward together with a fruity prescense in the form of plums, the aforementioned berries and date plums, but this last only for a moment, and then the aftertaste kicks in...!
And shit, what an aftertaste, here come the bitterness you only just suspected in the periphery of your palate throughout the taste, and it is accompanied by a the roasted rye bread that makes its comeback! The bitterness lingers and carries with it memories of all the other different flavours experienced throughout the tasting of this magnificient beer. My mouth seriously starts to water like a waterfall just a few seconds after swallowing thanks to this aftertaste, magnificient.

Mouthfeel is not as viscous as I'd like it, even though that might be a contributing factor to why this beer never gets heavy or hard to drink at any time, the carbonation is spot on.

4.97/5  rDev +11.4%

Huge thanks to Alex for sharing this brew, and for being an exceptionally awesome guy all-around.

A - It pours an inky black; sticky, with a nice volume of deep mocha-hued head, and an overall enticing appearance that begs the question: 'will it live up to (my lofty) expectations?'

S - The aroma is not unusual for the style, but it is sublime: nuances of roasted grain, burnt coffee, bittersweet chocolate, raw cocoa, burnt honey, and sweetly of raisin-plum. Hasn't let me down yet.

T - HFS. And JFC. This stuff tastes just like shares of Berkshire Hathaway stock.

M - The diamonds and all the platinum and gold trinkets are a bit lumpy, but they obviously make it taste better.

D - I was hoping it would be this good. And it is. Thanks Alex.

3.58/5  rDev -19.7%

250mL 2007 batch 1? with a big thanks to omhper! The bottle is a small nip with a black and white label very similar to the Kaggen! label. The pour is a deep black ink, looking a lot like Bells Expedition. Head is smaller, carbonation is lively, generating a dense, deep tan head. Not a hell of a lot of retention or lace. Sticky lace. Aroma out of the bottle immediately is very intense- almost makes you think that this one is the Kaggen! Very robust peat and wet wood in the nose, heavy roast and mild Beldi (black, oil-cured, salty) olives, prominent floral and lemon. Comes close to some serious brandy or orange liqueur, but doesn’t comes into full force. Hard to give this higher than a 7 for the nose. Taste up front is a little thinner, mild lemon, light salt and umami. As it warms it gets softer and more integrated. Still heavy on wood, relatively sweeter, mild bitterness. Bitter chocolate and light oil. Finish is heavy dark chocolate brick with powdery cocoa. It’s pretty yummy, but in no way mind blowing or even close to the intensity of 3 year old Expedition. Palate is soft, a little light, mild cardboard, lemon, slightly oily. Mostly thinner. Feels almost like a 6% oatmeal stout. Not impressed. 5/3/2011 7/4/7/4/14=3.6

4.12/5  rDev -7.6%

Thanks to orangesol for bringing this, and the Kaggen version, to the 2011 Ffej of July pre party. Shared with a core group of beer geeks. Served in a thimble. ;-)

2008 Vintage

A-Deep, dark black/brown with a thin dark tan head that was not responsive to revival and left the spottiest of flecked lace.

S-Rich, roasted black patent and chocolate malt with a fairly complex, yet light, blend of accenting aromas. Notes of coffee, cocoa, soy, oak, vanilla and leather all vie for attention.

T-Much like the aroma with an impressive array of complex flavours, but all seem light or even slightly muted. Dark chocolate and rich roasted malt, licorice, black treacle, coffee, vanilla, oak, soy and even a touch of earthy hops. Again, impressive and quite tasty but has a "reigned in" aspect.

M-Medium-heavy body, smooth and velvety with only the slightest touch of alcohl burn. Complex flavours linger long.

O-Certainly a VERY well made beer but not as good as I had hoped for. That being said it is one of those beers that the sum of the parts is greater than the whole. I cannot say I didn't enjoy my thimble!

4.37/5  rDev -2%

Review #600! 2007 bottle shared by (and split with) blatantdream. Thanks!

Almost zero release of air pressure when opened. Viscous body pours from the tiny bottle leaving minimal bubbles up top but no actual head. Chocolate and roasted malts swirl amongst toffee in the nose, creating a delicate aroma that simply isn't strong enough. The first victim of age, perhaps?

Stormaktsporter boasts an intense, potent, complex flavor profile. Deeply roasted malt; rich, decadent chocolate; booze character integrates marvelously with the stout base. Not super complex, but the chocolate in this beer is arguably the best of any stout I've encountered. Also, the balance here is truly impeccable.

Massive body carries all of these flavors to my palate. Rockin' mouthfeel. Somehow, this ~5-year-old bottle is completely void of oxidization.

This stuff is great... Such a shame the bottles are so tiny (not to mention absurdly difficult to acquire). Color me impressed.

4.42/5  rDev -0.9%

I brought this one to the Pre-Ffej of July party to share with the usual suspects. I hope you guys liked it as much as I did. '08 Bottle served right before the Kaggen! version.

A - Pours nearly opaque black with a small half finger tall mocha colored head leaving no lacing down the glass. I want to give this pour a lower score but with the small glasses that is hard to do.

S - Smells of rich dark roasted malt, bakers chocolate, day old coffee, sherry wine, licorice, and light soy sauce. A tiny bit of vanilla sweetness creeps in as it warms to room temp and very little alcohol can be detected. Very nice nose.

T - Starts off with a nice dose of sweet bakers chocolate and dark roasted malt slowly giving way to hints of dulled coffee, licorice, molasses, and just the faintest hop bitterness. A tiny bit of booze creeps in as it warms to room temperature. The finish has a good bit of dark roast, lingering for some time.

M - Heavy body and flavor with moderate carbonation. Slick, velvety, feel with a good bit of dark roast lingering through the finish.

O - While the taste didn't quite live up to the nose it was still a very good beer. It is very complex yet it remains easy to drink. I only wish the bottles were a bit bigger so we could have gotten a bigger sample size.

4.8/5  rDev +7.6%

2007 vintage. Acquired in a trade with a great Beer Advocate. I've been waiting to try this one for a long time.

I poured this into my Alesmith Ten Year Anniversary glass. Stormaktsporter is nearly black with a dark brown, one finger head. The head recedes after a minute and leaves a bubbly ring where the beer meets the glass. Lacing is scattered. The bottle is small. It appears to be less than 33cl.

The aroma is quite complex. Strong notes of roasted malt. Aromas of dark chocolate and fudge are very nice. There is an undertone of freshly ground coffee beans accompanied by the faint presence of toffee, truffles, and dark fruits. No alcohol is noticeable in the aroma.

The flavor is even more complex than the aroma. The first flavors that I perceive are that of black coffee and dark chocolate. The alcohol presence is strong. The chocolate flavor is sweet but I would not describe this as a sweet beer because there is a decent level of bitterness. Dark fruits are a small part of the flavor, and the fudge that was present in the aroma is present in the flavor. The finish is incredibly long, over a minute. It's an extended review of each flavor I tasted and seems to say, "Here is the coffee. Here is the vanilla. Here is the chocolate. Do you remember the dark fruits? We'll go through them once more in case you've forgotten." Alcohol is once again noticeable in the dry and very, very long finish. Stormaktsporter leaves my lips sticky and mouth bone dry and wanting another sip.

Full bodied and a somewhat viscous mouthfeel. Carbonation is good. I'll shed a tear when my glass is empty, for I know not when I shall taste this beautiful beer again.

3.84/5  rDev -13.9%

'07 Bottle. Pour is dark brown, red edges, virtually no head. The nose is very big and rich with roasted malt and a ton of chocolate cake. A bit of alcohol with light smokey peat. Taste is very rich chocolate cake, notes of roasted malt and a touch of coffee rind. Full creamy body, lingering roasty bitterness in the finish and light malt sweetness.

4.53/5  rDev +1.6%

Big thanks to Jan for another rare bottle, 2008 vintage, side-by-side with 2008 Kaggen.

Pours completely black, with no light passing through at all. There is a thick, creamy tan head that shows wonderful retention and leaves some streaky lacing along the sides.

The aroma is chocolatey and seriously roasty with lots of heavily roasted black malts and cocoa powder. There is some underlying sweetness as well with licorice and maybe some butterscotch and vanilla.

Taste is sweet up front with the chocolate dominating initially with the roasted malts underneath, which have a less roasty character than the aroma. The finish is slightly dry with some sweet estery fruit character and espresso bitterness all mixed together.

The mouthfeel is outstanding, just about perfect for the style. It's so smooth but with moderate carbonation and just feel perfect on the palate.

This is a wonderful stout - it's got lots of complexity but might be the most drinkable impy stout I've ever tasted. Very much a Belgian style impy stout with the fruit very evident.

to view more.