Stormaktsporter - Närke Kulturbryggeri AB

Närke Kulturbryggeri AB visit their website
Sweden

Russian Imperial Stout |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: HopHead84 on 01-11-2009

For the cask matured version of this beer, please do a search for "Kaggen!".
first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast

Vintage 2007

How would this one stand out against the upper-class of "American" (Russian) Imperial Stouts and the Kaggen!. Thanks to Dan I could have an epic beertasting evening with some friends with Surly Darkness, Darklord, Kate the Great, Abyss, Sexual Chocolate, Cigar City 110K OT Batch2, Speedway stout and on the other side, Stormaktsporter regular and Kaggen!.

Look: Like the kaggen!, very very very dark, with an magnificent dark brown creamy head.

Smell: Highly similar to the Kaggen! here as well. The smell is amazingly rich: raisins, other dark fruits, vanilla, coffee, dark chocolate, roasted malts. Maple syrup and creamy milk. too much to describe. Compared to the Kaggen! Only the bourbon and oak are missing.

Taste: Like the Kaggen!, compared to most other imperial stouts, all of the smell comes back in the taste. And man, this beer is so well balanced. The aftertaste I like the most, long and it is so incredibly rich and creamy.... creamy coffee and chocolate.

Mouthfeel: not extremely thick, but so creamy and smooth. The alcohol is extremely well hidden.

Overall: Highly similar to the Kaggen, only the bourbon taste is missing, can drink this one whole day. An excellent 2nd place in our beer tasting, just behind the Kaggen! and before the also fantastic abyss. Wish I had more of this one.... (1,328 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +10.4%

Huge thanks to Alex for sharing this brew, and for being an exceptionally awesome guy all-around.

A - It pours an inky black; sticky, with a nice volume of deep mocha-hued head, and an overall enticing appearance that begs the question: 'will it live up to (my lofty) expectations?'

S - The aroma is not unusual for the style, but it is sublime: nuances of roasted grain, burnt coffee, bittersweet chocolate, raw cocoa, burnt honey, and sweetly of raisin-plum. Hasn't let me down yet.

T - HFS. And JFC. This stuff tastes just like shares of Berkshire Hathaway stock.

M - The diamonds and all the platinum and gold trinkets are a bit lumpy, but they obviously make it taste better.

D - I was hoping it would be this good. And it is. Thanks Alex. (749 characters)

4.95/5  rDev +10%

Pours a true black, not too much head, but that was probably due to the careful pour, had to ration it evenly! It swirls up great in the glass though, a beautiful dark brown head, that leaves creamy brown spotted lacing on the glass.

Smells surprisingly fresh and light! And light in a really good way, as in that nothing is overpowering or sickly. But not light as in easy or non-complex, oh no! There are a truckload of different aromas here, starting up with roasted rye bread and dark chocolate, honey, plums, prunes, dried figs and herbs. There are also a light tartness to it all that makes me think of ripe red berries, raspberries in particular.

Powerful taste, huge taste. Starts off roasted, almost a bit burnt, but not overpowering, not at all, you can all the while feel the awesome flavours behind it! I get rye bread and chocolate, faint hint of espresso coffee and a very light sweetness reminiscent of honey and ripe strawberries and maybe blackberries. As the initial roasted feel resceeds for a while, a pleasant and light buttery sensation steps forward together with a fruity prescense in the form of plums, the aforementioned berries and date plums, but this last only for a moment, and then the aftertaste kicks in...!
And shit, what an aftertaste, here come the bitterness you only just suspected in the periphery of your palate throughout the taste, and it is accompanied by a the roasted rye bread that makes its comeback! The bitterness lingers and carries with it memories of all the other different flavours experienced throughout the tasting of this magnificient beer. My mouth seriously starts to water like a waterfall just a few seconds after swallowing thanks to this aftertaste, magnificient.

Mouthfeel is not as viscous as I'd like it, even though that might be a contributing factor to why this beer never gets heavy or hard to drink at any time, the carbonation is spot on. (1,913 characters)

4.9/5  rDev +8.9%

Holy jesus! I wasn't expecting this one to be found soon (at least not by me as I live so for away from the bigger cities of Sweden), but luckily I went to Gothenburg and found this one on-tap(!).

Looks really good, a deep black color with a nice, tight, beige foam. Really nice, the looks almost makes me drool.

Aroma is crazy, tons of honey, rosted malts, slightly hoppy notes. But there are also hints of fudge and slight notes of raisins which gives it a slightly wineous hint. Great! It's hard to describe how good it smells, I really wish for every fan of beer to be able to try this one on-tap.

Now to the taste. How is it? Loads of honey, molasses, fudge, chocolate, vanilla and hints of those earlier mentioned raisins. It is hard to develope the description of the taste further, this has got to be tried out. (822 characters)

4.9/5  rDev +8.9%

Hm, it seems I only use BA nowdays for rating Stormaktsporter; this time I had this edition on-tap at The Rover, Gothenburg. Here we go!

Looks absolutely fantastic in the glass; very dark brown, almost black with a perfect, remaining head.

Aroma is fantastic and amazing, no bottle I've had of this has smelled like this. Wonderful vinous, dried fruits, plums, chocolate, liquorice and honey. It's somewhat sweet (or at least it smells it going to be sweet).

Taste is dominated by a wonderful balanced sweetness with lots of honey (not over the top as you can think when you add like 30% honey), dried fruits, plums, dark chocolate, liquorice, molasses.

Then... to the mouthfeel. Wow. Wonderful smooth, extremely fullbodied. I've never tasted anything as filling as this. I love it more than anything else.

I'm so glad I had the chance to try this. Just incredible. (870 characters)

4.87/5  rDev +8.2%

Huge thanks to Bosse for this one, I had been wanting to try it forever and decided to end my first evening of vacation, quietly sipping on this in a lovely white birch glass. Consumed on 08/07/2010.

A thick and inky black pour welcomes me into the session. Dark as night with a creamy mocha colored head on top that rises to a height that was near a fingers depth. Settling down it left some nice lacing that dripped down the sides of the glass.

Aroma is warming, huge chocolate notes, hints of vanilla, a touch of light coffee as it warms. It is very full, but yet very welcoming would be the best way to put it. As it comes up to room temperature it just seems to fit. Unlike some big ris that can come off, well just too big, this is mellow with the roasted malts and chocolate soothing and each sip just perfect. It is not trying to push the envelope and there is no huge alcohol warming from this. Smooth, decadent and perfectly placed I literally could have sipped on this one for days, it was just that good. Final sips revealed a touch of licorice bitterness but a mostly vanilla and cocoa led sweetness that was more then what I could have asked for.

Overall I did like this 2008 version better then kaggen! only due to its subtly and just nearly flawless presentation. If I could I would have this one every day. (1,328 characters)

4.87/5  rDev +8.2%

From 6/12/10 notes. Got to sample this side by side with Kaggen! thanks to nimbleprop, big thanks Mac! 2007 vintage.

a - Pours a dark brown color with an inch of light brown head and no carbonation.

s - Smells of chocolate, cocoa, light coffee, dark fruits, and roasted malts.

t - I know this isn't oak aged, but I thought I tasted some oak in it. Also tastes of roasted malts, chocolate, vanilla, coffee, and a lot of dark fruit. Hint of booze.

m - Medium body and moderate carbonation. Very smooth and easy to drink 9% ABV.

d - An amazing beer that I was really glad I got to taste. To be honest, I thought this and Kaggen! were very similiar, with this having a little more pronounced dark fruit and Kaggen! having more oak. Both are easily 2 of the best beers I have ever had and I would love to try them again some day. (829 characters)

4.87/5  rDev +8.2%

I drank 2 versions of this from a bottle into a small tasting glass at the brewery with Hans the owner-head brewer.

The 08 verision was better than the kaggen 08, but the 05 kaggen was better than the regular. Part of this was because the 08 kaggen wasn't a great, part of its is the 05 kaggen has been aging 5 years! Anyway both versions are unreal in every way. The beer is black, not tons of carbonation its light tan, lighter than the Kaggen in both cases. Really nice light chocolately aroma, hint of vanilla super nice to smell...Its so tasty and super easy to drink.

This is an unreal beer that should be as hyped as the Kaggen. Get your hands on either and you are a lucky sob. (688 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +7.1%

Shared by nickd717. Thanks, Nick! 2008 vintage.

Black in the glass, faintly translucent and topped by a two finger mocha-colored head that retains well for a stout this big. The aroma is intensely chocolatey and roasty. Slight vinous notes are noticeable beneath the scent of rich milk chocolate, and there are hints of licorice, molasses and honey. Remarkably nuanced and complex. On the tongue it opens with chocolate and molasses, followed by spicy licorice, sharp roastiness, honey and a touch of caramel. Medium-full in body, mellow yet infinitely complex and drinkable. The finish is mildly roasty and bitter with a touch of smoke and licorice. Phenomenal. (663 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +6.7%

Well, here we go. This was the 100th give this one Imperial Stout I've rated over on RB, which is a big deal considering that's my favorite style (and second most rated after IPA). 250ml bottle via trade, huge thanks to bierkoning over on "the other site." 2008 vintage, released in 2009. Shared at a very small tasting with a few guys from BA.

The appearance is awesome. Pours darkest brown, not quite black, with a creamy tan head that settles over time, eventually leaving smooth thin foam and swirls in the beer.

Aroma is roasty and complex, with chocolate, coffee, anise, spices, and dark fruits. Nothing overpowers and it all works really well together.

Flavor is similarly complex and amazing. Caramel, chocolate, toffee, dark fruits (raisin, plum, date), vanilla, herbal and floral notes, maybe even some hops.

Very smooth and creamy on the mouthfeel with medium-full body and an incredibly long finish.

Overall, not quite as awesome as Kaggen, but still an absolute masterpiece of a beer. Ridiculously high drinkability. (1,034 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +6.7%

2008 vintage bottle split with younger35 and natasharai this afternoon. I would like to preface this review by stating that I prefer this beer over the more heralded barrel aged version, and I'm glad I was able to share the wealth

Pours black into a 4 oz. taster glass...not the ideal vessel for reviewing the appearance of a beer--but really, who cares what it looks like anyway. Going to score appearance so that my final score is in line with what I think this beer deserves.

The aroma is a nice mix of chocolate, marshmallow, and citrus hops. Not brash and bold, but still deep and complex. The flavor is similar in that sense. Lots of toasty wood and marshmallow, with layers of chocolate and coffee bean bitterness, with a finish of resiny hops and a healthy dose of smokiness. The body is between medium and full, and the carbonation is soft making for a nice creamy feel.

After only 3 oz. I was sad to see the bottom of my glass. This is a beer that I could drink a bottle of every night for the rest of my life. It is not your typical beefed up "top tier" Imperial Stout...there would be no mistaking this for something like Dark Lord or Darkness. Just a very easy drinking, complex, subtle masterpiece of a beer.

For comparison's sake, I personally felt that this beer was similar to the best batches of HOTD Adam. But maybe even better. World class for sure. (1,373 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +6.7%

2007 vintage. Acquired in a trade with a great Beer Advocate. I've been waiting to try this one for a long time.

I poured this into my Alesmith Ten Year Anniversary glass. Stormaktsporter is nearly black with a dark brown, one finger head. The head recedes after a minute and leaves a bubbly ring where the beer meets the glass. Lacing is scattered. The bottle is small. It appears to be less than 33cl.

The aroma is quite complex. Strong notes of roasted malt. Aromas of dark chocolate and fudge are very nice. There is an undertone of freshly ground coffee beans accompanied by the faint presence of toffee, truffles, and dark fruits. No alcohol is noticeable in the aroma.

The flavor is even more complex than the aroma. The first flavors that I perceive are that of black coffee and dark chocolate. The alcohol presence is strong. The chocolate flavor is sweet but I would not describe this as a sweet beer because there is a decent level of bitterness. Dark fruits are a small part of the flavor, and the fudge that was present in the aroma is present in the flavor. The finish is incredibly long, over a minute. It's an extended review of each flavor I tasted and seems to say, "Here is the coffee. Here is the vanilla. Here is the chocolate. Do you remember the dark fruits? We'll go through them once more in case you've forgotten." Alcohol is once again noticeable in the dry and very, very long finish. Stormaktsporter leaves my lips sticky and mouth bone dry and wanting another sip.

Full bodied and a somewhat viscous mouthfeel. Carbonation is good. I'll shed a tear when my glass is empty, for I know not when I shall taste this beautiful beer again. (1,667 characters)

4.78/5  rDev +6.2%

May 2012, I opened up this bottle in Sweden at a tasting with my Swedish friends that featured a vertical of 2006, 2007 and 2008 Stormaktsporter and 2007 and 2008 Kaggen! Stormaktsporter.

This what I thought in comparison to the Stormaktsporter to the other vintages and to the Kaggen!

A - midnight black beer pours forth from all 3 botles. All 3 years have the same squid ink color to it but I am noticing less carbonation on the 2007 than the other two years. The amber colored foam slowly settles and some lacing remains on all the glasses.

S - Strong roasted malts, a little bit of a sweetness to the nose that I believe reminds me of (strangely enough chocolate carrot cake). There is definetely some anise in the nose and I notice that the 2008 has more of a stronger chocolate nose to it with a what I could almost swear is a burnt cork smell (even though it's not oak aged. Where am I getting this from?) . The 2006 has lots more of a roasted burnt coffee smell to it and the anise nose is slightly faded away. Smells absolutely heavenly and it's because no one characteristic in the nose for either three years dominates my senses.

T - Shockingly well balanced. Nothing is overly sweet. 2006 is holding up and I see no faults with any of these three being past its prime or peak. I would have expected some muted flatness to perhaps show up with the age but it's holding itself extremely well and I can't taste oxidation like I did when drinking Olfrabrikken Porter 2007 the same night.. Good god how is this holding up so well? I think that I prefer 2006 the most because I'm not the biggest fan of the anise and I love how mellowed out it has become with the roastiness of the malts really settling in..

M - Carbonation is minimal and there is less body than I expected. The thinness in the body is the most disappointing part but at the same time I shouldn't be expecting to chew my imperial stouts..

O - I'm glad I have enough to share and drink for coming years. This is really remarkable and I'm shocked that all 3 can hold up after these years.. (2,072 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +4.9%

2006 vintage thanks to Bosse (and his brother Lars). Served in a Darkness snifter in tribute. Shared, as per instructions on the bottle, with Matt, Sean, and Casey.

A - I actually find this is a better looking beer than Kaggen! The volume of creamy mocha foam is a little bigger, there's better retention, and some spotty lace left behind when it finally settles to a big chunky ring and thin cap. Body is inky, flawless, black.

S - While it's sort of trite to say it smells and tastes like Kaggen! but without the peat, oak, and whisky, that's a fairly accurate assessment. The beer actually implies barrel-aging with strong roast character and light smoked malt. Otherwise it's a rich blend of decadent chocolate cake, honey, pumpernickel bread, and faint touch of licorice and espresso when it warms up (and DO let it warm up).

T - The taste is not quite up to par with the nose, although that's perhaps an unrealistic expectation. Delightfully mellow, without trace of alcohol, and also some faint beginnings of port-like oxidation. Otherwise it's the wonderful combination of honey, roasted malts, molasses, etc. with licorice and espresso notes to keep things from becoming cloying or diabetic. The finish is lightly roasty and bitter and lingers on the palate for ages. This is where we need quarter gradations, because this is better than 4.5, but not quite perfect.

M - Body is wonderfully soft, smooth, and avoids any hint that this is a 9.6% alcoholic beverage. Finishes lightly sticky. I suppose a minor complaint is that body is perhaps a bit thin, although in defense the ABV is on the lower end of the spectrum for the style and the lack of booziness makes this forgivable. Carbonation is present, but not mild and unobtrusive.

D - Every time I open one of these I am reminded of the tragedy that is the 25cl bottle. I'm always reminded of the "misfortune" of having so many friends it with. The only thing impeding mass consumption of this is budget and availability - if I could I'd be getting growler fills of this one. (2,042 characters)

4.71/5  rDev +4.7%

First had this beer at the 2010 BOREFTS Festival at De Molen in Bodegraven, Holland. What a treat it was. Lucky enough to score a bottle through the grapevine as well, so I didn't drink enough of it at the Festival, especialy with all the other great beers there. Next time I see it, however, I will bathe in it.

From a 25cl bottle into a snifter
Vintage: 2008

APPEARANCE: A dark brown pour makes a small, medium-thick, tan head that comes out of nowhere and vanishes rather quickly. A wisp and bubbly ring are left behind. Jet black body and zero carbonation evident. A ring remains until the end and leaves some dots of lacing down the glass.

SMELL: A big nose right off the pour. Lots of roasted and smoky malts for sure, with some dark chocolate, cocoa powder, molasses, and some light espresso notes. Black licorice as well and perhaps a hint of vanilla in there somewhere. Big, bold, and very enticing. Great stuff.

TASTE: Lots of roasted malts and smoky notes up front, but a burst of flavor follows the swallow. Lots of sweet molasses, bitter chocolate and cocoa, with a strong supporting act of espresso. Lots of roasted flavors still, with a touch of alcohol after the swallow. A big and persistent aftertaste is full of roasted, chalky malts with sweet molasses and bitter chocolate balancing themselves very nicely. Very flavorful, balanced, and just the right dose of alcohol. Fantastic.

PALATE: Medium body and carbonation, and very creamy smooth on the palate. Goes down smooth with a touch of heat and an alcohol bite at the swallow. Finishes slightly mouth-coating. Nice and creamy for sure.

OVERALL: Such a shame that this is only a 25cl bottle. Split it a couple ways and you’re only left with a splash to taste. Regardless, that splash is still enough to leave a memorable impression. Very flavorful and well balanced, with a huge, enticing nose as a opening act. This is one of those beers people hunt down, and in this case, the hunt was more than worth it. It was the beer highlight of my summer. I really hope to meet this one again sometime and be able to drink it by the growler. (2,118 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Black body, small brown head.

Nose hits you with heavily roasted malts, moderate smoke, dark chocolate, a little dark fruit, some sweetness. Taste is extraordinary. Incredibly well balanced between the ashy bitterness, rich malt sweetness, smoke, and alcohol. Neither attributes fight for dominance.

This beer is just incredible and is easily one of the best imperial stouts I’ve ever had. I would chose this over the Kaggen. The beer’s complexity gets lost in the barrel. The charred coffee flavor that lingers on the palate as the decadent fudgey sweetness fades away is beautiful.

Mouthfeel is creamy and the beer beckons you to come back for another sip to pull apart all its layers. (697 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +3.8%

Last sampled in Stockholm. Winter of 2010 before moving to New Zealand.

I miss beers like this. Really I do.

I mean, One of the main reasons I came to NZ in the first place was to open up a place that brews beers like this. I hope that happens soon!

A: Dark cola brown/black with a starbucks head and hardly any light getting through.

S: Licorice, dark chocolate, coffee, golden syrup, and incense

T: Dark chocolate malts, coffee, roasted vanilla pods and charleston chew

M: Thick, coating, and rewarding

O: Phenomenal. Almost better than the Kaggen, but not quite. (572 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +3.3%

Thanks to the o-so-generous Alex (Masterski) for cracking this one up on a random Thursday just because. Bottle split a few ways and poured into various tasting glasses.

A - Pours black, mocha-colored head which fizzes up to a fingers-worth and then dies down to a slim ring and around the glass. There's some bubbles here and there on top, but basically, it's just a delicious-looking black beer.

S - Honey, sweet milk chocolate, cocoa, caramel. Like a walking into a high-end chocolatier, melting down the pieces, and pouring them into my glass. Just decadent.

T - Dessert in a glass. Chocolate, honey, cocoa, roasted nuts, bready notes. Just like drinking dessert, plain and simple. The sweetness isn't overwhelming, it's perfectly balanced with the alcohol. Both play off of each other to create this masterpiece.

M - Medium bodied, slightly thin, very smooth and rich.

D - So good! I could consume an entire bottle, but I highly doubt I'll run across a 2006 vintage every again. Stellar. (998 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +2.7%

Big thanks to alcstradamus for generously bringing a bottle of this to Stub & Herbs to share. I knew he gave up a lot to get this beer and I feel privileged to get to share it. Drank from a small sampling glass.

Appearance- Pours a super pitch ass black with a small brown cap. I suppose not much cap or collar but probably not the best glass to be reviewing appearance. Maybe a touch of lacing.
Smell- Not kidding here, green olives and rubber. Light roastiness that hides in the background. Very weird and/or unique. Light alcohol whiffs are noticeable as well. Maybe a weird description that doesn't sound all that great but somehow it works.
Taste- Starts lightly sweet with a deep black patent type roasted bitterness. A sharp bite of alcohol and a sort of hoppy bitterness that seems hidden by the roasted malted bitter. The finish is super smoky and dry with a small hoppiness. The smoke is light and interesting and very unexpected.
Mouthfeel- Medium body, light bit of warming from the alcohol with a dry somewhat tannic finish.
Drinkability- Weird smell, fucking tasty though. Unique to say the least. The mixture of extreme roast, slight bitterness and a touch of smoke are new to me in a Imperial Stout. Now I need to try the damn Kaggen!. Thanks much Adam, mucho appreciated! (1,289 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The nose is rich espresso coffee, roasted malt, vanilla, almond, Christmas cake, dark fruit, molasses, cocoa powder and a touch of soy sauce. The taste is roasted malt, rich coffee, vanilla, dark chocolate, salted caramel, charcoal, toasted coconut, chocolate, gateaux and toast, with a dry, bitter chocolate finish. Full body and fine carbonation. Incredibly smooth, complex and perfectly balanced. A joy to drink! (415 characters)

4.58/5  rDev +1.8%

008 vintage bottle. Let me begin by saying I actually preferred this version to the Kaggen. The pour was dark brown with light oily edges and a beautiful foamy brown head. Great oily lacing like DarkLord. Bold roasted malt aromas. This stout is so thick and chewy with huge roasted malt notes paired wonderfully with caramel and coffee undercurrents. I didn’t pick the honey flavors out, but I think they are what help make this a superbly balanced beer with just a hint of roasted bitterness in the finish.... (512 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle #2 at Jason's CO Stout tasting, Tried along side the Kaggen Stormaktsporter. Supple flavors comparatively, though still amazingly delicious. Dark brown pour with a thin tan head and cocoa nose. Deep dark chocolates flavors with a slightly dry finish. This is a mighty stout, packed in a little bottle. A must try... (322 characters)

4.54/5  rDev +0.9%

2006 vintage.

Finally got to try this, very hyped, beer and for an affordable price at 30USD for a, approx, 8.5oz bottle :-)

A: Dark dark dark red with a creamy beige head.

S: Oak, Vanilla, Honey, Portwine, Fruit

T: Bitter chocolate, Vanilla, Cream, Brown sugar, Cherries.

M: Smooth as silk but liquid is very thick and creamy. Low carbonation.

This is, hands down, one of the best beers i've ever had the pleasure to sample. Very filling tho and sharing a small bottle among 2 people were just perfect. If you can ever get hold of this little beauty, do not hesitate. Highly recommended! (594 characters)

4.53/5  rDev +0.7%

I walked into a back-alley with my eyes closed and walked out with an unlabeled bottle of this guy. 2009, poured at cellar temp. Split 3 ways. I hate nip bottles. Thanks Ryan.

A - Black with mocha head, goes to nice lacing. Decent legs, but great retention. 4.25, rounding up.

S - Cocoa, light bread, roast. Good stuff.

T - Roast, strong cocoa, light dryness, cocoa sticks, mild yet present heat in the end. Tough to see how it stays/fades with less than 3oz...f'n nips. Cocoa finish is so strong. Although the flavors come togetherA quite well, the cocoa throughout and the strong finish are what really stand out to me. The roast is there but doesn't take over.

M - Medium, but silky smooth. Considering my preference towards thick RIS, the best I can do is a 4.5. My unbiased ways bring this one down to reality.

O - Haha. Well, this one lives up to the hype for me. I enjoyed the hell out of it. We compared it to a fresh Courage and it made Courage look like a fool. Courage is great, btw. This is maybe the best non-BA RIS I've had. I know I've said that before, probably for Luscious, but this is better than Luscious. (1,131 characters)

4.53/5  rDev +0.7%

Big thanks to Jan for another rare bottle, 2008 vintage, side-by-side with 2008 Kaggen.

Pours completely black, with no light passing through at all. There is a thick, creamy tan head that shows wonderful retention and leaves some streaky lacing along the sides.

The aroma is chocolatey and seriously roasty with lots of heavily roasted black malts and cocoa powder. There is some underlying sweetness as well with licorice and maybe some butterscotch and vanilla.

Taste is sweet up front with the chocolate dominating initially with the roasted malts underneath, which have a less roasty character than the aroma. The finish is slightly dry with some sweet estery fruit character and espresso bitterness all mixed together.

The mouthfeel is outstanding, just about perfect for the style. It's so smooth but with moderate carbonation and just feel perfect on the palate.

This is a wonderful stout - it's got lots of complexity but might be the most drinkable impy stout I've ever tasted. Very much a Belgian style impy stout with the fruit very evident. (1,058 characters)

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast