Stormaktsporter - Närke Kulturbryggeri AB

StormaktsporterStormaktsporter

Närke Kulturbryggeri AB visit their website
Sweden

Russian Imperial Stout |  9.00% ABV

For the cask matured version of this beer, please do a search for "Kaggen!".

(Beer added by: HopHead84 on 01-11-2009)

4.75/5  rDev +6.5%

3.85/5  rDev -13.7%

'07 Bottle. Pour is dark brown, red edges, virtually no head. The nose is very big and rich with roasted malt and a ton of chocolate cake. A bit of alcohol with light smokey peat. Taste is very rich chocolate cake, notes of roasted malt and a touch of coffee rind. Full creamy body, lingering roasty bitterness in the finish and light malt sweetness.

4.05/5  rDev -9.2%

277th Review
25cl poured into a (small) Westy chalice
Vintage: 2008

Thanks for the trade way back when rvdoorn! Enjoyed to celebrate the birth of my first born kiddoe. Cheers Izzy!

A: Deep, dark brown. Single, bubbly (pure khakis) head on medium pour.

S: Robust, roasty, and bold! Dark chocolate, vanilla, roasted dark malt, and dark fruit (fig, raisin, etc.). Nice balance and very complex. Touch of espresso too. Quite inviting, I must say, and the highlight of this beer for me!

T: Deep and complex in taste. Smooth vanilla notes accompanied by dark chocolate and molasses followed by roasty dark malt along with hints of raisin and espresso. Slight cocoa powder in there as well. A bit off balance towards the end though as the smokiness + alcohol booziness over powers the finish. Good, but not great.

M: Full bodied with even/soft carbonation. I wish it were a bit thicker though.

O: This beer was really solid, but did not blow my mind away as I had hoped. It's a very rich, deep, and smooth RIS. Overall really fun to try, but I preferred the likes of the Konjaks! version a bit more. Now to simply hunt down the other versions of this beer to see how they compare. In good time...

4.6/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The nose is rich espresso coffee, roasted malt, vanilla, almond, Christmas cake, dark fruit, molasses, cocoa powder and a touch of soy sauce. The taste is roasted malt, rich coffee, vanilla, dark chocolate, salted caramel, charcoal, toasted coconut, chocolate, gateaux and toast, with a dry, bitter chocolate finish. Full body and fine carbonation. Incredibly smooth, complex and perfectly balanced. A joy to drink!

3.58/5  rDev -19.7%

250mL 2007 batch 1? with a big thanks to omhper! The bottle is a small nip with a black and white label very similar to the Kaggen! label. The pour is a deep black ink, looking a lot like Bells Expedition. Head is smaller, carbonation is lively, generating a dense, deep tan head. Not a hell of a lot of retention or lace. Sticky lace. Aroma out of the bottle immediately is very intense- almost makes you think that this one is the Kaggen! Very robust peat and wet wood in the nose, heavy roast and mild Beldi (black, oil-cured, salty) olives, prominent floral and lemon. Comes close to some serious brandy or orange liqueur, but doesn’t comes into full force. Hard to give this higher than a 7 for the nose. Taste up front is a little thinner, mild lemon, light salt and umami. As it warms it gets softer and more integrated. Still heavy on wood, relatively sweeter, mild bitterness. Bitter chocolate and light oil. Finish is heavy dark chocolate brick with powdery cocoa. It’s pretty yummy, but in no way mind blowing or even close to the intensity of 3 year old Expedition. Palate is soft, a little light, mild cardboard, lemon, slightly oily. Mostly thinner. Feels almost like a 6% oatmeal stout. Not impressed. 5/3/2011 7/4/7/4/14=3.6

4.4/5  rDev -1.3%

Review #600! 2007 bottle shared by (and split with) blatantdream. Thanks!

Almost zero release of air pressure when opened. Viscous body pours from the tiny bottle leaving minimal bubbles up top but no actual head. Chocolate and roasted malts swirl amongst toffee in the nose, creating a delicate aroma that simply isn't strong enough. The first victim of age, perhaps?

Stormaktsporter boasts an intense, potent, complex flavor profile. Deeply roasted malt; rich, decadent chocolate; booze character integrates marvelously with the stout base. Not super complex, but the chocolate in this beer is arguably the best of any stout I've encountered. Also, the balance here is truly impeccable.

Massive body carries all of these flavors to my palate. Rockin' mouthfeel. Somehow, this ~5-year-old bottle is completely void of oxidization.

This stuff is great... Such a shame the bottles are so tiny (not to mention absurdly difficult to acquire). Color me impressed.

4.8/5  rDev +7.6%

May 2012, I opened up this bottle in Sweden at a tasting with my Swedish friends that featured a vertical of 2006, 2007 and 2008 Stormaktsporter and 2007 and 2008 Kaggen! Stormaktsporter.

This what I thought in comparison to the Stormaktsporter to the other vintages and to the Kaggen!

A - midnight black beer pours forth from all 3 botles. All 3 years have the same squid ink color to it but I am noticing less carbonation on the 2007 than the other two years. The amber colored foam slowly settles and some lacing remains on all the glasses.

S - Strong roasted malts, a little bit of a sweetness to the nose that I believe reminds me of (strangely enough chocolate carrot cake). There is definetely some anise in the nose and I notice that the 2008 has more of a stronger chocolate nose to it with a what I could almost swear is a burnt cork smell (even though it's not oak aged. Where am I getting this from?) . The 2006 has lots more of a roasted burnt coffee smell to it and the anise nose is slightly faded away. Smells absolutely heavenly and it's because no one characteristic in the nose for either three years dominates my senses.

T - Shockingly well balanced. Nothing is overly sweet. 2006 is holding up and I see no faults with any of these three being past its prime or peak. I would have expected some muted flatness to perhaps show up with the age but it's holding itself extremely well and I can't taste oxidation like I did when drinking Olfrabrikken Porter 2007 the same night.. Good god how is this holding up so well? I think that I prefer 2006 the most because I'm not the biggest fan of the anise and I love how mellowed out it has become with the roastiness of the malts really settling in..

M - Carbonation is minimal and there is less body than I expected. The thinness in the body is the most disappointing part but at the same time I shouldn't be expecting to chew my imperial stouts..

O - I'm glad I have enough to share and drink for coming years. This is really remarkable and I'm shocked that all 3 can hold up after these years..

4.58/5  rDev +2.7%

I walked into a back-alley with my eyes closed and walked out with an unlabeled bottle of this guy. 2009, poured at cellar temp. Split 3 ways. I hate nip bottles. Thanks Ryan.

A - Black with mocha head, goes to nice lacing. Decent legs, but great retention. 4.25, rounding up.

S - Cocoa, light bread, roast. Good stuff.

T - Roast, strong cocoa, light dryness, cocoa sticks, mild yet present heat in the end. Tough to see how it stays/fades with less than 3oz...f'n nips. Cocoa finish is so strong. Although the flavors come togetherA quite well, the cocoa throughout and the strong finish are what really stand out to me. The roast is there but doesn't take over.

M - Medium, but silky smooth. Considering my preference towards thick RIS, the best I can do is a 4.5. My unbiased ways bring this one down to reality.

O - Haha. Well, this one lives up to the hype for me. I enjoyed the hell out of it. We compared it to a fresh Courage and it made Courage look like a fool. Courage is great, btw. This is maybe the best non-BA RIS I've had. I know I've said that before, probably for Luscious, but this is better than Luscious.

4.4/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A massive thanks goes out to cmrillo for bringing this one out during his own 40 Beers* @ 40 Birthday Bash! Can’t believe I got to try this one!!! 2008 Vintage! Served from bottle into a Mikkeller taster flute. Poured pitch black with a minimal tan head. Maintained excellent lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of roasted malt, wood, smoke, caramel, meat, and sweet alcohol. The flavor was of roasted malt, wood, smoke, cigar, tobacco, subtle vanilla, and subtle sweet alcohol. It had a heavy feel on the palate with medium carbonation. Overall this brew was quite good. I was still shocked to see this one come out during cmrillo’s birthday party. The flavor on this one was nothing short of excellent. I really surprised at how well all the components mixed together to bring this one together. The cigar and tobacco flavors were the ones I found most shocking based on the aroma. However, they really worked well with this brew. The only reason the aroma didn’t score really high marks was due to the intensity of it being fairly weak compared to the flavor. I really can’t say enough good about this one if I am honest. Really hope to get to try it again in the future.

4.5/5  rDev +0.9%

Shared by ygtbsm 94. Thanks a lot Brad! Served alongside Kaggen! Stormakstporter. What a treat.

2008 vintage

The beer is dark brown, approaching black with an inch of dark beige head. The beer appears oily and viscous, with ample lacing slowly cascading down the walls of the snifter.

The aroma is distinctly European, with the usual suspects of roast and chocolate. A healthy dark fruit presence asserts itself as well.

Rich, thick, and wonderful. Certainly not lacking in flavor. The 9.5% alcohol is well hidden. Palate coating, with chocolate covered dark fruits and a lingering, warm, roasty aftertaste.

Overall, I prefer the cask matured version (Kaggen!), but still think this is an exceptional stout. Highly recommended, should you have the opportunity.

4.25/5  rDev -4.7%

3.5/5  rDev -21.5%

4.25/5  rDev -4.7%

3.28/5  rDev -26.5%

Thanks Brad... a true whale and a tiny bottle to boot. Really appreciated the share!

Pours a dark dark black. Not much head. Nice thick body...
Smells pretty solid. Roasty, chocolatey, some dark fruits... Nothing special but good.

Tastes very complex.... dark fruits, chocolate, roast... so much going on... and yet. Not really enjoyable. The flavour profile leaves much to be desired. The body is a bit thinner than I'd like for the strength and the dark fruits offset the roasty backbone in a jarring way. Was one of my first few beers of the day as I was hoping my palete would be clean for this one so I am not sure why it was so disappointing. Hype not equalling taste perhaps?

4.72/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Black body, small brown head.

Nose hits you with heavily roasted malts, moderate smoke, dark chocolate, a little dark fruit, some sweetness. Taste is extraordinary. Incredibly well balanced between the ashy bitterness, rich malt sweetness, smoke, and alcohol. Neither attributes fight for dominance.

This beer is just incredible and is easily one of the best imperial stouts I’ve ever had. I would chose this over the Kaggen. The beer’s complexity gets lost in the barrel. The charred coffee flavor that lingers on the palate as the decadent fudgey sweetness fades away is beautiful.

Mouthfeel is creamy and the beer beckons you to come back for another sip to pull apart all its layers.

4.38/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Review #1650. Thanks to Sean for the birthday share. 2008 vintage.

A - Black beer, little bit of browning on the edges. Small brown head with some moderate retention and some minor spots left on the glass.

S - Nice roasted grains, just a tiny touch of char on the end. The thing that really jumped out on this one to me was a honey aroma. Quite nice.

T - Taste is very nice. Good roast balanced out with some molasses and a little bit of coffee and cocoa. The honey comes through quite well, but doesn't overpower any of the other flavors. Goes down quite easily.

M - Smooth, little bit heavier side of medium bodied, just a little bit thin for the style. No real sense of any alcohol in this.

O - Fantastic RIS. Wish I could drink a couple of bottles myself to really get a feel for it as the 25 cl size is mostly a tease. Would like to drink again.

Stormaktsporter from Närke Kulturbryggeri AB