Microbrew Invitational

Awaiting 10 Reviews

Ramapo Valley Brewery
New York, United States

Style: American Strong Ale

Alcohol by volume (ABV): not listed

Added by stegmakk on 12-23-2003

Reviews: 4 | Ratings: 4
Reviews by tgbljb:
3.2/5  rDev -5.6%

Poured a deep, almost opague amber-copper color with virtually no head. Smell was ale-like with hints of spices. Taste was average, but a little too sweet for my taste. Did not enjoy the flavor that it left in my mouth. Definitely not one that I will try again

3.45/5  rDev +1.8%

This was listed as a SAISON on the brewpubs beer menu. And the brewer told us the same. Anyway it was light golden and abit cloudy. Average head with some lacing. some spices present, Belgian yeast evident, nice soft/smooth mouthfeel. Not as earthy or complex as a saison shoud be. Decent quafer.

3.53/5  rDev +4.1%

**no alcohol content or style listed on the bottle or on the website** closest I could think of was olde suffolk english ale

Appearance was light brown coppery with almost no head...constant tiny bubble though...
Aroma was of slight alcohol and alot of malt
Taste was malt hint of spice (raisin) and maybe slight wood? I dont know this was very different and my tastebuds didnt quite grasp it fully.
Mouthfeel was a little thin
Drinkability...decent...I could not drink many but it was a pleasant surprise to my mix...

3.37/5  rDev -0.6%

Hazy golden sunset. Thin, weak head that settles into a vague mist immediately upon pouring. The collar keeps about halfway through, then peters out.
The aroma is rather yeasty and spicy. Hints of coriander, maybe grains of paradise or something to that nature. Soft, wheaty malt base. Minimal hopping.
The flavor opens with an odd, nondescript malt texture. Sweetish, but not really conveying anything. Sorta wheaty, moving aimlessly towards a doughy yeast flavor and some light fruitiness. Hints of lemon, pear and kiwifruit. Vague banana into the finish. Spicy in the end, a hint of phenols, kind of like a biggish witbier, with some coriander notes and a vague, lemony sourness. No hop bitterness that I can detect. Medium bodied, bolstered no doubt by the yeast. A dryish, powdery mouthfeel. Medium, softened carbonation.
Not a bad beer, just not what I was expecting. With a name like Demon Fuel, I was thinking this would be some sort of maxed-out strong ale. It's not exactly light, but the flavors are fleeting. Not terribly complex, but at least it's flavorful. I'd like to know what this beer is supposed to be. It kind of feels like a witbier, or spiced saison. Either way, it falls a little short. My suggestion would be to boost up the hop profile a bit and let it ferment a little hotter to kick up the higher alcohols. Then again, I'm no professional.

Demon Fuel Ale from Ramapo Valley Brewery
- out of 100 based on 4 ratings.