Southern Pecan - Lazy Magnolia Brewing Company

good

Lazy Magnolia Brewing Company visit their website
Mississippi, United States

English Brown Ale |  4.50% ABV

Southern Pecan Nut Brown Ale is the first beer in the world, to our knowledge, made with whole roasted pecans. The pecans are used just like grain and provide a nutty characteristic and a delightful depth to the flavor profile. This beer is very lightly hopped to allow the malty, caramel, and nutty flavors shine through. The color is dark mahogany. Southern Pecan won a Bronze Medal in the 2006 World Beer Cup in the Specialty Beer category.

(Beer added by: Todd on 03-26-2005)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Southern Pecan Alström Bros
ajzy

1.25/5  rDev -65.3%

01-11-2012 05:11:04 | More by khargro2
utfiero

1.5/5  rDev -58.3%

Color- clear light brown. Slight head.

Aroma- mildly roasted malt with hints of maple syrup.

Taste- A disappointing watery nut brown ale. Starts with a metallic mild sweetness like maple syrup stored in a slightly rusted old can then quickly finishes lackluster with a watery lager note.

Poured from 355 ml bottle into a Liefmans Goudenband glass (my preferred all purpose beer tasting glass). Tasted 9/2/2013

05-31-2014 01:18:15 | More by utfiero
harrymel

Washington

1.55/5  rDev -56.9%

A: Pours a orange rudy ale with excellent clarity. Single finger peanut head sticks around and loosely creates a medium quilt. Little lacing.

S: Mostly smells like stainless steel and cranberry. Not very good.

T: Tastes sweet. not sure why they call this a nut brown ale. Sould have called it a malt liquor with sugar. Very sweet. I can taste the idea of pecans here. But this is far from appropriate for a beer. Lots of artificial flavor. I can drink this, but willl never drink again.

M: medium to light body with little carb.

O: poor, poor job. change the genre and I can raise abit, but this is waaay too sweet to be good.

04-04-2011 17:41:01 | More by harrymel
tommyguz

1.75/5  rDev -51.4%

05-08-2013 04:02:52 | More by tommyguz
sweemzander

1.83/5  rDev -49.2%

12oz. bottle poured into an imperial pint. No bottled date. Thanks to BeerFMAndy for the trade.

(A)- Pours a clear dark brown color that produced a tan to light yellow head w/ decent retention.

(S)- Smells like nuts. . . pecan obviously. Otherwise it just smells sweet like sugar; rather closed.

(T)- A nutty pecan sweetness. Its really sugary sweet.

(M)- A good carbonation level, but is just plain & way too sugary.

(D)- An interesting idea for a beer, but there is really nothing I like about this beer. Too disjointed and sugary to enjoy.

12-12-2009 20:13:34 | More by sweemzander

dunlap926

08-02-2014 21:14:33 | More by dunlap926
BhamBeerLover

2.03/5  rDev -43.6%

Light brown color, which was lighter than expected. Very little head and poor retention. Seemed far too highly carbed. Mettalic finish which suggests some sort of contamination to me or a high pH kind of issue with the beer. Then I checked the bottle and it was dated December. Since it is October now this must be a distribution problem or some organization issue within the brewery itself as the store I purchased the beer from is less than a month old.

10-20-2012 00:51:23 | More by BhamBeerLover
Chug-a-lug

South Carolina

2.1/5  rDev -41.7%

Nice brown pecan color. Very clear. Can see my fingers on the backside of glass through the beer.

Off white head. Head and lace dissipate quickly.

No hops taste to speak of. Very little carbonation.

Bland smell and taste. Almost like a stale coke. Lite beer is better than this.

Can't see myself ever drinking this again.

07-18-2013 20:57:44 | More by Chug-a-lug
jpmclaug

South Carolina

2.13/5  rDev -40.8%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass

A - this beer is a light brown with no head, when I hold this beer up I can see right through it

S - faint sweet nutty smell

T - faint taste of sweet malts, hardly any hop flavor

M - light body with a light amount of carbonation

D - This is real easy to drink... because there is hardly any flavor. It doesn't taste bad it just tastes like it is lacking. I have tried a variety of brown ales lately so I believe I know the style even if it isn't my favorite I can enjoy brown ales. I have a 6 pack of this and if this bottle was bad for some reason then I will re write this review. I will also check to see that this isn't way past its expiration date. I don't ever remember being so disappointed by a beer with such a good rating.

03-20-2010 16:27:45 | More by jpmclaug
TheCondor

Missouri

2.15/5  rDev -40.3%

I had this brew on-tap at Outback Steakhouse in Hattiesburg, Mississippi. Poured into a standard mug, I won't get into the pour skills. I wanted to try this once just becuase I had never seen it before....

Appearance - Poured a medium brown color with a quickly disappearing one finger head. No signs of lacing.

Smell - Smells of nuts, maple, brown sugar, kind of smells like syrup. Not much of a beer smell to it, I seriously thought it smelled like maple syrup.

Taste - This was the part where this beer lost me. The maple and brown sugar taste was overwhelming in this brew. The sweetness was intense, with a mild nutty undertone to go with all the maple and brown sugar. I couldn't detect much sign at all of anything but the aforementioned.

Mouthfeel - The sweetness was overwhelming in the taste, and the stickiness of the sugar in the beer lingered in the mouthfeel. Mouthfeel was fairly consistent with the style, but the sticky aftertaste was not good.

Overall - This beer is good to try once, but I would never drink it again. It's not very often I find a beer that I wouldn't drink even if it was free, but this is one of them. Way too sweet. If you are expecting a mildly sweeter version of Newcastle, this is way off the mark. Not recommended

01-30-2012 15:40:45 | More by TheCondor
drpimento

Wisconsin

2.15/5  rDev -40.3%

Think we got one from a bad line: Served with a small, off white head and some lace. Color was a clear, amber brown. Aroma ( my snooter don't work so well, so I think I'm able to give this beer a better, but inconsistant score compared to other qualities) is decent with bananas, brown fruit, caramel, toffee, and malt. Flavor is absolutely DOMINATED by bleach, + the traditional nut brown flavors. It was hard to focus on the other aspects of the beer because of the bleach. My friend couldn't drink it either.

06-29-2010 19:24:19 | More by drpimento

01-12-2013 03:03:20 | More by SaxmanRick
bditty187

Nebraska

2.33/5  rDev -35.3%

Amber-chestnut in hue; soapy beige head, small and the froth doesn’t last long. Good looking beer, the brightness of the color is attractive. It is unfortunate the head retention was poor. As I consumed no lace appeared.

Sweet, spent grain-like nose… kind of “wort-y” like; almost like Malta Goya and while I get a nice brown sugar/molasses nuttiness there is a disconcerting incompleteness to the aroma. No sense of hops. I am expecting this to be a very sweet beer.

The palate is not as sweet as I was expecting. Malty upfront, in the middle it turns unpleasantly metallic before ending with a nutty, buttery finish. The buttery characteristic doesn’t come across as diaceytl. No depth. No hop character. A really bland, simple and unpleasant tasting beer… it is a dud.

Medium-light in body, low carbonation but appropriate mouthfeel overall.

Not really what I was expecting in this beer and regardless it isn’t very good. I have no need to finish my bottle. Regardless of what I think about this beer I am very thankful to finally try it. Thanks Mindy for the bottle. I’ve now tried and reviewed a beer from Mississippi. 49 states sampled… I need to try a beer from North Dakota.

03-31-2013 18:22:48 | More by bditty187