2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Southern Pecan - Lazy Magnolia Brewing Company

Southern PecanSouthern Pecan

good

Lazy Magnolia Brewing Company visit their website
Mississippi, United States

English Brown Ale |  4.50% ABV

Southern Pecan Nut Brown Ale is the first beer in the world, to our knowledge, made with whole roasted pecans. The pecans are used just like grain and provide a nutty characteristic and a delightful depth to the flavor profile. This beer is very lightly hopped to allow the malty, caramel, and nutty flavors shine through. The color is dark mahogany. Southern Pecan won a Bronze Medal in the 2006 World Beer Cup in the Specialty Beer category.

(Beer added by: Todd on 03-26-2005)
View: Beers (20) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Southern Pecan Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,023 | Reviews: 472 | Show All Ratings:
harrymel

Washington

1.55/5  rDev -57.1%

A: Pours a orange rudy ale with excellent clarity. Single finger peanut head sticks around and loosely creates a medium quilt. Little lacing.

S: Mostly smells like stainless steel and cranberry. Not very good.

T: Tastes sweet. not sure why they call this a nut brown ale. Sould have called it a malt liquor with sugar. Very sweet. I can taste the idea of pecans here. But this is far from appropriate for a beer. Lots of artificial flavor. I can drink this, but willl never drink again.

M: medium to light body with little carb.

O: poor, poor job. change the genre and I can raise abit, but this is waaay too sweet to be good.

04-04-2011 17:41:01 | More by harrymel
sweemzander

1.83/5  rDev -49.3%

12oz. bottle poured into an imperial pint. No bottled date. Thanks to BeerFMAndy for the trade.

(A)- Pours a clear dark brown color that produced a tan to light yellow head w/ decent retention.

(S)- Smells like nuts. . . pecan obviously. Otherwise it just smells sweet like sugar; rather closed.

(T)- A nutty pecan sweetness. Its really sugary sweet.

(M)- A good carbonation level, but is just plain & way too sugary.

(D)- An interesting idea for a beer, but there is really nothing I like about this beer. Too disjointed and sugary to enjoy.

12-12-2009 20:13:34 | More by sweemzander
BhamBeerLover

2.03/5  rDev -43.8%

Light brown color, which was lighter than expected. Very little head and poor retention. Seemed far too highly carbed. Mettalic finish which suggests some sort of contamination to me or a high pH kind of issue with the beer. Then I checked the bottle and it was dated December. Since it is October now this must be a distribution problem or some organization issue within the brewery itself as the store I purchased the beer from is less than a month old.

10-20-2012 00:51:23 | More by BhamBeerLover
Chug-a-lug

South Carolina

2.1/5  rDev -41.8%

Nice brown pecan color. Very clear. Can see my fingers on the backside of glass through the beer.

Off white head. Head and lace dissipate quickly.

No hops taste to speak of. Very little carbonation.

Bland smell and taste. Almost like a stale coke. Lite beer is better than this.

Can't see myself ever drinking this again.

07-18-2013 20:57:44 | More by Chug-a-lug
jpmclaug

South Carolina

2.13/5  rDev -41%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass

A - this beer is a light brown with no head, when I hold this beer up I can see right through it

S - faint sweet nutty smell

T - faint taste of sweet malts, hardly any hop flavor

M - light body with a light amount of carbonation

D - This is real easy to drink... because there is hardly any flavor. It doesn't taste bad it just tastes like it is lacking. I have tried a variety of brown ales lately so I believe I know the style even if it isn't my favorite I can enjoy brown ales. I have a 6 pack of this and if this bottle was bad for some reason then I will re write this review. I will also check to see that this isn't way past its expiration date. I don't ever remember being so disappointed by a beer with such a good rating.

03-20-2010 16:27:45 | More by jpmclaug
drpimento

Wisconsin

2.15/5  rDev -40.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 1.5

Think we got one from a bad line: Served with a small, off white head and some lace. Color was a clear, amber brown. Aroma ( my snooter don't work so well, so I think I'm able to give this beer a better, but inconsistant score compared to other qualities) is decent with bananas, brown fruit, caramel, toffee, and malt. Flavor is absolutely DOMINATED by bleach, + the traditional nut brown flavors. It was hard to focus on the other aspects of the beer because of the bleach. My friend couldn't drink it either.

06-29-2010 19:24:19 | More by drpimento
TheCondor

Missouri

2.15/5  rDev -40.4%

I had this brew on-tap at Outback Steakhouse in Hattiesburg, Mississippi. Poured into a standard mug, I won't get into the pour skills. I wanted to try this once just becuase I had never seen it before....

Appearance - Poured a medium brown color with a quickly disappearing one finger head. No signs of lacing.

Smell - Smells of nuts, maple, brown sugar, kind of smells like syrup. Not much of a beer smell to it, I seriously thought it smelled like maple syrup.

Taste - This was the part where this beer lost me. The maple and brown sugar taste was overwhelming in this brew. The sweetness was intense, with a mild nutty undertone to go with all the maple and brown sugar. I couldn't detect much sign at all of anything but the aforementioned.

Mouthfeel - The sweetness was overwhelming in the taste, and the stickiness of the sugar in the beer lingered in the mouthfeel. Mouthfeel was fairly consistent with the style, but the sticky aftertaste was not good.

Overall - This beer is good to try once, but I would never drink it again. It's not very often I find a beer that I wouldn't drink even if it was free, but this is one of them. Way too sweet. If you are expecting a mildly sweeter version of Newcastle, this is way off the mark. Not recommended

01-30-2012 15:40:45 | More by TheCondor
bditty187

Nebraska

2.33/5  rDev -35.5%

Amber-chestnut in hue; soapy beige head, small and the froth doesn’t last long. Good looking beer, the brightness of the color is attractive. It is unfortunate the head retention was poor. As I consumed no lace appeared.

Sweet, spent grain-like nose… kind of “wort-y” like; almost like Malta Goya and while I get a nice brown sugar/molasses nuttiness there is a disconcerting incompleteness to the aroma. No sense of hops. I am expecting this to be a very sweet beer.

The palate is not as sweet as I was expecting. Malty upfront, in the middle it turns unpleasantly metallic before ending with a nutty, buttery finish. The buttery characteristic doesn’t come across as diaceytl. No depth. No hop character. A really bland, simple and unpleasant tasting beer… it is a dud.

Medium-light in body, low carbonation but appropriate mouthfeel overall.

Not really what I was expecting in this beer and regardless it isn’t very good. I have no need to finish my bottle. Regardless of what I think about this beer I am very thankful to finally try it. Thanks Mindy for the bottle. I’ve now tried and reviewed a beer from Mississippi. 49 states sampled… I need to try a beer from North Dakota.

03-31-2013 18:22:48 | More by bditty187
witster18

Tennessee

2.36/5  rDev -34.6%

Smells tanenish sour but not much of anything.

Taste is cloying malt with a honey sweet finish. This is what I suppose a killians mixed with a seriously stale Sam Adams would taste like.

For only 4.3abv it has some heat and a decent mouthfeel but that's about it. You'd be better served with a different choice for the Same or less in terms of price. Think I'd even prefer a shiner over this(that's how slightly above average this is).

Head leaves like a kid who soils his pants during first period.

Newcastle n shiner aren't great, but they taste better than this to me. Glad I didn't purchase this.

I know my score is low here, but this reminds me of the well-water at some of my friends houses in the country when I was younger, or what the Fratelli's were serving the "Goonies" at the abandoned restaurant. Dislike it to the point I might turn down another free one. Overrated here.

There's a degree of originality in the sweetness and oilyness, but it's a bit uneventful/flat for me, and I just don't care for the taste.

07-10-2013 18:30:13 | More by witster18
cadizkyguy

Kentucky

2.45/5  rDev -32.1%

Bought a six pack a while back, i know it was because House of Brews in Clarksville, TN, was still open when i bought it... Anyway, had a couple of them fresh and it had a harsh aftertaste, like the beer was made with pecan shells and not the pecans themselves...

Now a few months later, probably closer to eight months, here i try again.

Poured my last two bottles into an oversized hefeweizen glass... Some frothiness.. that dissipates rather quickly. a nice golden brown hue..

Smell, well, it smells like a brown ale, not sure the difference between an American brown and an English brown, but it smells ok, rather nutty, which I'd say is right in line with the ingredients.

Taste, I'm still getting the bitter aftertaste. Not all that appealing. Like drinking medicine.
Maybe they goofed here and made this batch with pecan shells.. Just saying...

Mouthfeel. Like a mouthful of mouthwash. Again, not all that appealing.

Overall. Not a big fan of this beer, which has its fans. Both fresh and dated, this beer did not do it for me. I might try Lazy Magnolia's other brews but i'll do a pick six next time. This beer is a rare drain pour. Just can't stomach the rest.

03-18-2012 07:00:04 | More by cadizkyguy
OWSLEY069

2.58/5  rDev -28.5%

Pours a clean copper to deep orange-ish color with a light tan head. In the aroma, sweet nuttiness and caramel hints. In the taste, kind of like sweet tea and a small hint of nuts. A smooth and medium bodied mouthfeel, with a semi dry nut presence in the aftertaste. OK, small nut and very English like.

11-10-2010 12:49:43 | More by OWSLEY069
Reaper16

2.58/5  rDev -28.5%

12oz. bottle served into a pint glass

Pours a pretty light color for being a Brown Ale. It's coppery/amber, but on the light side of that shade so much that it is nearly orange. The body is clear enough to see the carbonation lazily stream up, forming a 1.25 finger head. Not much lacing to speak of, but I'm sure that's the fault of the glassware's level of cleanliness and not the beer itself.

I've gotta' hand it to Lazy Magnolia here -- this beer definitely has a nutty aroma. Perhaps not so much pecans as just a jar full of mixed nuts. But there's nut flesh (*snicker*) and nut skin (*snicker*) abound in this beer's smell. Some metallic hops stick out, along with a slightly-appley malt aroma reminiscent of some amber lagers (which is not exactly style appropriate).

This beer is like some nuts in your face (*snicker*). Plenty of nutty flavor that doesn't really fade away. There isn't much depthness or richness to the malt profile here: it's more like an amber ale than anything, just without the toastiness and breadcrusts flavors. It's... pretty innocuous. "Meh," really. The beer finishes with a sort of peanut brittle flavor, but not as caramelly. There's nothing to get excited over here.

The mouthfeel is fairly medium-bodied. It thickens up pretty good if you swish it around your mouth. Very sweet; no dryness here. Overall, this brown ale is pretty meh to me, despite its fairly unique quantity of nut flavor. A true "nut brown ale," but lacking in depth and character in spite of its innovations.

04-07-2012 03:35:48 | More by Reaper16
TheBeerAlmanac

Kentucky

2.63/5  rDev -27.1%

Poured from a bottle into a tulip

A: Pours a dark amber color and has a thin fizzy head.

S: Smells of heavy fruits like bananas and peaches and lingers with just a bit of sourness. A little perplexing and not what I expected from something labeled “pecan.”

T/M: Tastes a bit sweet with honey and some of that heavy fruit but there’s not much nuttiness. Honestly, it’s a lot like a traditional American amber ale. In that regard, it’s a disappointment.

Whole roasted pecans are, allegedly, included during the brewing process but you’d never know. At least offer a bag of nuts or something so I don’t feel like I’ve been taken advantage of. Or some Planters trail mix. Mmm, trail mix.

06-18-2011 19:10:59 | More by TheBeerAlmanac
hoplover82

2.68/5  rDev -25.8%

A-Pours a clear deep amber color, no brown in sight, but it has a nice thick, creamy off white head that has good retention and lacing.
S-The aroma is kind of weird for a brown ale, it's very fruity, like a good english amber. No nuts, or coffee, typical for a good brown ale. Hmmm... don't know what else to say.
T-Same as aroma, no nuts or coffee notes, lots of fruity esters and sweet watery caramel. MAYBE the slightest hint of nuts in the flavor.
M-It's a crisp light slightly dry mouthfeel with lots of carbonation. Not very fitting for the style indeed.
O-It's hard for me to give a negative review, so I will say this beer is not "bad" perse, just not a brown ale... Very off from the style imo.

10-29-2011 00:24:03 | More by hoplover82
alcstradamus

Washington

2.7/5  rDev -25.2%

Thanks for the extra Christian!

Pours a crystal clear dark amber/brown with a little over a finger of head using a hard pour into a pint glass. The smell is almost nonexistent. Traces of caramel malt and nuttiness, but even shoving my nose nearly into the beer I still come up with almost nothing. The taste does not follow suit luckily, as there is a decent amount of flavor for a brown ale. Lots of caramel malts and nuttiness, there is one off-putting flavor I am getting that I can't quite put my finger on...perhaps crayon wax? Mouthfeel is normal for the style but that one piece of the flavor is almost triggering my gag reflex, really destroying the drinkability.

I would probably try this again paired with a meal, but on its own it just didn't do it for me.

08-17-2009 16:29:04 | More by alcstradamus
TurdFurgison

2.7/5  rDev -25.2%

12oz bottle, an extra in a trade from the south. This pours a nice auburn color, crystal clear, with a few fingers of off-white foam.

It smells malty in a worty way, very sweet and rich. I was looking for obvious pecan notes but couldn't find them in the aroma. They come through in the flavor though, along with lots of sugary sweetness. Actually this us a little TOO sweet for my tastes, it gets a little cloying.

OK carbonation and so forth. The main thing is that its sort of a sweet mess, I think one is more than enough.

01-09-2012 00:58:25 | More by TurdFurgison
stoutman

2.75/5  rDev -23.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

I had this at the Atlanta airport. Pours light brown with white head. Taste is nutty, earthy. Nose has some brown sugar, root beer, bread crust, but artificially sweet. Flavor is the same, frankly. Artificially sweet, brown sugar, root beer, root veg. Sweet finish.. I was hoping for a nice nut brown type flavor, however, I thought this was not good. I would not drink this again.

12-24-2013 01:28:53 | More by stoutman
PorterLambic

2.78/5  rDev -23%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Arrives lighter than expected, a very dark amber - light brown color. Light tan head dissipates fairly quickly. Clear with tons of light getting through.
Smell is weak, just some malt and cider notes with a little vanilla and maybe some nut.
Taste is unusual with some malt, some apple, some nut and all quite weak.
Body is weak, almost watery with a decent carbonation load. Some, albeit slight, warming. This is their first recipe and should be revisited, revamped or recycled.

06-08-2012 21:43:54 | More by PorterLambic
ztaylor1

2.8/5  rDev -22.4%

Appearance- zero head. Clear cola color. Somewhat depressing...

Smell- maple syrup, and pecans. Faint.

Taste- pecans and butter. Actually not bad.

Mouthfeel- thin body and prickly carbonation. Thin thin thin thin thin!

Drinkability- decent, mediocre. But a bit sweet for my taste.

01-16-2011 06:50:49 | More by ztaylor1
dogma46an2

2.8/5  rDev -22.4%

A- crimson undertones. Body is mostly clear.True to style.

S-Not complex. Just not alot of pecan.light malt not constant. everytime ive had it .

T- I found the first few times to be much tastier. there was a form of sweetness that was almost like pie. Really attractive. I got some nice nuttiness and vanilla and cocoa. I was never really happy with it.

M-Quite light and bubbly. Body goes down fairly clean. Carbonation was one of the brightest points of the beer.

O/D-Liked it once, Either way, I was happy to try it. Consistency is key.

10-20-2012 01:05:28 | More by dogma46an2
charlzm

2.83/5  rDev -21.6%

Consumed 03/30/08 at Brews Brothers, Pensacola.

Medium amber/light brown with plentiful carbonation. One finger head at first pour.

No aroma from my pint glass even when it's right under my nose.

Carbonation helps this brew in mouthfeel, as it is a bit watery.

Sweet, nutty flavor (like maybe... PECANS???) that's more apparent as an aftertaste than as a main course. Not much flavor overall, really. No bitterness.

Agreeable enough, I guess, but not a favorite.

04-02-2008 02:34:24 | More by charlzm
carlborch

2.86/5  rDev -20.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

Pours a brilliant mahogany brown with a 1-inch tan head, that dissipates rather quickly, settling in at 1/16th inch. Caramel with hints of roasted nuts and restrained malt in the nose with an ever-so-slight sour note. Medium-light body with suggestions of cocoa and toasted bread. Very little hops. Expecting more pecan on the palate. Slight, pleasant lingering, with restrained, but balanced malt and hop notes. No Belgian lace. Nice brown ale, unfortunately, it is not as moreish as would be expected of a Brown Ale.

03-05-2014 18:03:05 | More by carlborch
RickS95

Indiana

2.9/5  rDev -19.7%

Looks like maple syrup, a dark amber, with a thick head with good retention.

Not much smell, kind of a nutty, cigarette-like smell, but nothing dominates.

Not much flavor either, maybe a touch of syrup, but like the smell, no one flavor dominates.

Feels good in the mouth, mostly sweet to start, but there is a hint of bitter at the end of the swallow.

Very easy to drink, goes down smooth with a milky quality.

04-29-2010 01:14:55 | More by RickS95
mullincs

Tennessee

2.9/5  rDev -19.7%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance - Had a nice amber color; light enough to let some light through, with a decent head. Unfortunately, the head dissipated a little too quickly for my liking, lasting for only about a minute.

Smell - Pleasant smell full of nuttiness and something like a little caramel.

Taste - Began with a good taste for a brown ale, with a good balance of malts and hops. Unfortunately, mine had a slightly metallic taste at the end.

Mouthfeel - Very light, watery feel for a brown ale; I expected something with a little more depth. However, it was certainly smooth to drink with a good amount of carbonation tossed in.

Overall - Not a bad brown ale, but I've certainly had better. I might give it another shot soon and hope that I just grabbed a bad bottle.

04-16-2012 01:06:59 | More by mullincs
brystmar

2.9/5  rDev -19.7%

Ruby red pour with dark brown hues accenting. Has some head initially but it dissipates quickly leaving just the body. Nutty aroma at first, then stale malts take over. Compared to the smell initially, this overall aroma is surprisingly poor.

Taste isn't much better as English yeast imparts its typically dry profile over the sub-par malt base. Some nuttiness creeps in to impart a small amount of alternate flavor, but nothing can save this from mediocrity. Not worth your money.

08-16-2012 22:50:43 | More by brystmar