1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

Southern Pecan - Lazy Magnolia Brewing Company

Southern PecanSouthern Pecan

good

Lazy Magnolia Brewing Company visit their website
Mississippi, United States

English Brown Ale |  4.50% ABV

Southern Pecan Nut Brown Ale is the first beer in the world, to our knowledge, made with whole roasted pecans. The pecans are used just like grain and provide a nutty characteristic and a delightful depth to the flavor profile. This beer is very lightly hopped to allow the malty, caramel, and nutty flavors shine through. The color is dark mahogany. Southern Pecan won a Bronze Medal in the 2006 World Beer Cup in the Specialty Beer category.

(Beer added by: Todd on 03-26-2005)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Southern Pecan Alström Bros
2.33/5  rDev -35.1%

Amber-chestnut in hue; soapy beige head, small and the froth doesn’t last long. Good looking beer, the brightness of the color is attractive. It is unfortunate the head retention was poor. As I consumed no lace appeared.

Sweet, spent grain-like nose… kind of “wort-y” like; almost like Malta Goya and while I get a nice brown sugar/molasses nuttiness there is a disconcerting incompleteness to the aroma. No sense of hops. I am expecting this to be a very sweet beer.

The palate is not as sweet as I was expecting. Malty upfront, in the middle it turns unpleasantly metallic before ending with a nutty, buttery finish. The buttery characteristic doesn’t come across as diaceytl. No depth. No hop character. A really bland, simple and unpleasant tasting beer… it is a dud.

Medium-light in body, low carbonation but appropriate mouthfeel overall.

Not really what I was expecting in this beer and regardless it isn’t very good. I have no need to finish my bottle. Regardless of what I think about this beer I am very thankful to finally try it. Thanks Mindy for the bottle. I’ve now tried and reviewed a beer from Mississippi. 49 states sampled… I need to try a beer from North Dakota.

bditty187, Mar 31, 2013
2.36/5  rDev -34.3%

Smells tanenish sour but not much of anything.

Taste is cloying malt with a honey sweet finish. This is what I suppose a killians mixed with a seriously stale Sam Adams would taste like.

For only 4.3abv it has some heat and a decent mouthfeel but that's about it. You'd be better served with a different choice for the Same or less in terms of price. Think I'd even prefer a shiner over this(that's how slightly above average this is).

Head leaves like a kid who soils his pants during first period.

Newcastle n shiner aren't great, but they taste better than this to me. Glad I didn't purchase this.

I know my score is low here, but this reminds me of the well-water at some of my friends houses in the country when I was younger, or what the Fratelli's were serving the "Goonies" at the abandoned restaurant. Dislike it to the point I might turn down another free one. Overrated here.

There's a degree of originality in the sweetness and oilyness, but it's a bit uneventful/flat for me, and I just don't care for the taste.

witster18, Jul 10, 2013
2.45/5  rDev -31.8%

Bought a six pack a while back, i know it was because House of Brews in Clarksville, TN, was still open when i bought it... Anyway, had a couple of them fresh and it had a harsh aftertaste, like the beer was made with pecan shells and not the pecans themselves...

Now a few months later, probably closer to eight months, here i try again.

Poured my last two bottles into an oversized hefeweizen glass... Some frothiness.. that dissipates rather quickly. a nice golden brown hue..

Smell, well, it smells like a brown ale, not sure the difference between an American brown and an English brown, but it smells ok, rather nutty, which I'd say is right in line with the ingredients.

Taste, I'm still getting the bitter aftertaste. Not all that appealing. Like drinking medicine.
Maybe they goofed here and made this batch with pecan shells.. Just saying...

Mouthfeel. Like a mouthful of mouthwash. Again, not all that appealing.

Overall. Not a big fan of this beer, which has its fans. Both fresh and dated, this beer did not do it for me. I might try Lazy Magnolia's other brews but i'll do a pick six next time. This beer is a rare drain pour. Just can't stomach the rest.

cadizkyguy, Mar 18, 2012
2.45/5  rDev -31.8%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.
Appearance - a lazy brown. Weak white head. Struggling to leave lace.
Smell - meh, pretty average, really.
Taste - sweet for a brown ale, but I'm not sure I detect any pecan.
Feel - light body, leaves a bit to be desired.
Overall - the style is a bit boring to me, and this one is about par for the course.

DenverHopHead, Dec 15, 2013

BeerThursdays, Jul 06, 2014

Jackle22, Nov 27, 2012

robertjskelton, Apr 02, 2014
2.58/5  rDev -28.1%

Pours a clean copper to deep orange-ish color with a light tan head. In the aroma, sweet nuttiness and caramel hints. In the taste, kind of like sweet tea and a small hint of nuts. A smooth and medium bodied mouthfeel, with a semi dry nut presence in the aftertaste. OK, small nut and very English like.

OWSLEY069, Nov 10, 2010
2.58/5  rDev -28.1%

12oz. bottle served into a pint glass

Pours a pretty light color for being a Brown Ale. It's coppery/amber, but on the light side of that shade so much that it is nearly orange. The body is clear enough to see the carbonation lazily stream up, forming a 1.25 finger head. Not much lacing to speak of, but I'm sure that's the fault of the glassware's level of cleanliness and not the beer itself.

I've gotta' hand it to Lazy Magnolia here -- this beer definitely has a nutty aroma. Perhaps not so much pecans as just a jar full of mixed nuts. But there's nut flesh (*snicker*) and nut skin (*snicker*) abound in this beer's smell. Some metallic hops stick out, along with a slightly-appley malt aroma reminiscent of some amber lagers (which is not exactly style appropriate).

This beer is like some nuts in your face (*snicker*). Plenty of nutty flavor that doesn't really fade away. There isn't much depthness or richness to the malt profile here: it's more like an amber ale than anything, just without the toastiness and breadcrusts flavors. It's... pretty innocuous. "Meh," really. The beer finishes with a sort of peanut brittle flavor, but not as caramelly. There's nothing to get excited over here.

The mouthfeel is fairly medium-bodied. It thickens up pretty good if you swish it around your mouth. Very sweet; no dryness here. Overall, this brown ale is pretty meh to me, despite its fairly unique quantity of nut flavor. A true "nut brown ale," but lacking in depth and character in spite of its innovations.

Reaper16, Apr 07, 2012
2.63/5  rDev -26.7%

Poured from a bottle into a tulip

A: Pours a dark amber color and has a thin fizzy head.

S: Smells of heavy fruits like bananas and peaches and lingers with just a bit of sourness. A little perplexing and not what I expected from something labeled “pecan.”

T/M: Tastes a bit sweet with honey and some of that heavy fruit but there’s not much nuttiness. Honestly, it’s a lot like a traditional American amber ale. In that regard, it’s a disappointment.

Whole roasted pecans are, allegedly, included during the brewing process but you’d never know. At least offer a bag of nuts or something so I don’t feel like I’ve been taken advantage of. Or some Planters trail mix. Mmm, trail mix.

TheBeerAlmanac, Jun 18, 2011
2.68/5  rDev -25.3%

A-Pours a clear deep amber color, no brown in sight, but it has a nice thick, creamy off white head that has good retention and lacing.
S-The aroma is kind of weird for a brown ale, it's very fruity, like a good english amber. No nuts, or coffee, typical for a good brown ale. Hmmm... don't know what else to say.
T-Same as aroma, no nuts or coffee notes, lots of fruity esters and sweet watery caramel. MAYBE the slightest hint of nuts in the flavor.
M-It's a crisp light slightly dry mouthfeel with lots of carbonation. Not very fitting for the style indeed.
O-It's hard for me to give a negative review, so I will say this beer is not "bad" perse, just not a brown ale... Very off from the style imo.

hoplover82, Oct 29, 2011
2.7/5  rDev -24.8%

Thanks for the extra Christian!

Pours a crystal clear dark amber/brown with a little over a finger of head using a hard pour into a pint glass. The smell is almost nonexistent. Traces of caramel malt and nuttiness, but even shoving my nose nearly into the beer I still come up with almost nothing. The taste does not follow suit luckily, as there is a decent amount of flavor for a brown ale. Lots of caramel malts and nuttiness, there is one off-putting flavor I am getting that I can't quite put my finger on...perhaps crayon wax? Mouthfeel is normal for the style but that one piece of the flavor is almost triggering my gag reflex, really destroying the drinkability.

I would probably try this again paired with a meal, but on its own it just didn't do it for me.

alcstradamus, Aug 17, 2009
2.7/5  rDev -24.8%

12oz bottle, an extra in a trade from the south. This pours a nice auburn color, crystal clear, with a few fingers of off-white foam.

It smells malty in a worty way, very sweet and rich. I was looking for obvious pecan notes but couldn't find them in the aroma. They come through in the flavor though, along with lots of sugary sweetness. Actually this us a little TOO sweet for my tastes, it gets a little cloying.

OK carbonation and so forth. The main thing is that its sort of a sweet mess, I think one is more than enough.

TurdFurgison, Jan 09, 2012