Southern Pecan - Lazy Magnolia Brewing Company

good

Lazy Magnolia Brewing Company visit their website
Mississippi, United States

English Brown Ale |  4.50% ABV

Southern Pecan Nut Brown Ale is the first beer in the world, to our knowledge, made with whole roasted pecans. The pecans are used just like grain and provide a nutty characteristic and a delightful depth to the flavor profile. This beer is very lightly hopped to allow the malty, caramel, and nutty flavors shine through. The color is dark mahogany. Southern Pecan won a Bronze Medal in the 2006 World Beer Cup in the Specialty Beer category.

(Beer added by: Todd on 03-26-2005)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Southern Pecan Alström Bros
2.13/5  rDev -40.5%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass

A - this beer is a light brown with no head, when I hold this beer up I can see right through it

S - faint sweet nutty smell

T - faint taste of sweet malts, hardly any hop flavor

M - light body with a light amount of carbonation

D - This is real easy to drink... because there is hardly any flavor. It doesn't taste bad it just tastes like it is lacking. I have tried a variety of brown ales lately so I believe I know the style even if it isn't my favorite I can enjoy brown ales. I have a 6 pack of this and if this bottle was bad for some reason then I will re write this review. I will also check to see that this isn't way past its expiration date. I don't ever remember being so disappointed by a beer with such a good rating.

2.15/5  rDev -39.9%

I had this brew on-tap at Outback Steakhouse in Hattiesburg, Mississippi. Poured into a standard mug, I won't get into the pour skills. I wanted to try this once just becuase I had never seen it before....

Appearance - Poured a medium brown color with a quickly disappearing one finger head. No signs of lacing.

Smell - Smells of nuts, maple, brown sugar, kind of smells like syrup. Not much of a beer smell to it, I seriously thought it smelled like maple syrup.

Taste - This was the part where this beer lost me. The maple and brown sugar taste was overwhelming in this brew. The sweetness was intense, with a mild nutty undertone to go with all the maple and brown sugar. I couldn't detect much sign at all of anything but the aforementioned.

Mouthfeel - The sweetness was overwhelming in the taste, and the stickiness of the sugar in the beer lingered in the mouthfeel. Mouthfeel was fairly consistent with the style, but the sticky aftertaste was not good.

Overall - This beer is good to try once, but I would never drink it again. It's not very often I find a beer that I wouldn't drink even if it was free, but this is one of them. Way too sweet. If you are expecting a mildly sweeter version of Newcastle, this is way off the mark. Not recommended

2.15/5  rDev -39.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 1.5

Think we got one from a bad line: Served with a small, off white head and some lace. Color was a clear, amber brown. Aroma ( my snooter don't work so well, so I think I'm able to give this beer a better, but inconsistant score compared to other qualities) is decent with bananas, brown fruit, caramel, toffee, and malt. Flavor is absolutely DOMINATED by bleach, + the traditional nut brown flavors. It was hard to focus on the other aspects of the beer because of the bleach. My friend couldn't drink it either.

2.33/5  rDev -34.9%

Amber-chestnut in hue; soapy beige head, small and the froth doesn’t last long. Good looking beer, the brightness of the color is attractive. It is unfortunate the head retention was poor. As I consumed no lace appeared.

Sweet, spent grain-like nose… kind of “wort-y” like; almost like Malta Goya and while I get a nice brown sugar/molasses nuttiness there is a disconcerting incompleteness to the aroma. No sense of hops. I am expecting this to be a very sweet beer.

The palate is not as sweet as I was expecting. Malty upfront, in the middle it turns unpleasantly metallic before ending with a nutty, buttery finish. The buttery characteristic doesn’t come across as diaceytl. No depth. No hop character. A really bland, simple and unpleasant tasting beer… it is a dud.

Medium-light in body, low carbonation but appropriate mouthfeel overall.

Not really what I was expecting in this beer and regardless it isn’t very good. I have no need to finish my bottle. Regardless of what I think about this beer I am very thankful to finally try it. Thanks Mindy for the bottle. I’ve now tried and reviewed a beer from Mississippi. 49 states sampled… I need to try a beer from North Dakota.

2.36/5  rDev -34.1%

Smells tanenish sour but not much of anything.

Taste is cloying malt with a honey sweet finish. This is what I suppose a killians mixed with a seriously stale Sam Adams would taste like.

For only 4.3abv it has some heat and a decent mouthfeel but that's about it. You'd be better served with a different choice for the Same or less in terms of price. Think I'd even prefer a shiner over this(that's how slightly above average this is).

Head leaves like a kid who soils his pants during first period.

Newcastle n shiner aren't great, but they taste better than this to me. Glad I didn't purchase this.

I know my score is low here, but this reminds me of the well-water at some of my friends houses in the country when I was younger, or what the Fratelli's were serving the "Goonies" at the abandoned restaurant. Dislike it to the point I might turn down another free one. Overrated here.

There's a degree of originality in the sweetness and oilyness, but it's a bit uneventful/flat for me, and I just don't care for the taste.

2.45/5  rDev -31.6%

Bought a six pack a while back, i know it was because House of Brews in Clarksville, TN, was still open when i bought it... Anyway, had a couple of them fresh and it had a harsh aftertaste, like the beer was made with pecan shells and not the pecans themselves...

Now a few months later, probably closer to eight months, here i try again.

Poured my last two bottles into an oversized hefeweizen glass... Some frothiness.. that dissipates rather quickly. a nice golden brown hue..

Smell, well, it smells like a brown ale, not sure the difference between an American brown and an English brown, but it smells ok, rather nutty, which I'd say is right in line with the ingredients.

Taste, I'm still getting the bitter aftertaste. Not all that appealing. Like drinking medicine.
Maybe they goofed here and made this batch with pecan shells.. Just saying...

Mouthfeel. Like a mouthful of mouthwash. Again, not all that appealing.

Overall. Not a big fan of this beer, which has its fans. Both fresh and dated, this beer did not do it for me. I might try Lazy Magnolia's other brews but i'll do a pick six next time. This beer is a rare drain pour. Just can't stomach the rest.

2.45/5  rDev -31.6%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.
Appearance - a lazy brown. Weak white head. Struggling to leave lace.
Smell - meh, pretty average, really.
Taste - sweet for a brown ale, but I'm not sure I detect any pecan.
Feel - light body, leaves a bit to be desired.
Overall - the style is a bit boring to me, and this one is about par for the course.

2.48/5  rDev -30.7%