Southern Pecan - Lazy Magnolia Brewing Company

good

Lazy Magnolia Brewing Company visit their website
Mississippi, United States

English Brown Ale |  4.50% ABV

Southern Pecan Nut Brown Ale is the first beer in the world, to our knowledge, made with whole roasted pecans. The pecans are used just like grain and provide a nutty characteristic and a delightful depth to the flavor profile. This beer is very lightly hopped to allow the malty, caramel, and nutty flavors shine through. The color is dark mahogany. Southern Pecan won a Bronze Medal in the 2006 World Beer Cup in the Specialty Beer category.

(Beer added by: Todd on 03-26-2005)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Southern Pecan Alström Bros
2.9/5  rDev -19.2%

Looks like maple syrup, a dark amber, with a thick head with good retention.

Not much smell, kind of a nutty, cigarette-like smell, but nothing dominates.

Not much flavor either, maybe a touch of syrup, but like the smell, no one flavor dominates.

Feels good in the mouth, mostly sweet to start, but there is a hint of bitter at the end of the swallow.

Very easy to drink, goes down smooth with a milky quality.

RickS95, Apr 29, 2010
3.43/5  rDev -4.5%

A - Soapy looking head that mostly faded quickly leaving behind a few large bubbles. Crystal clear, mahogany with ruby tones, and low to moderate carbonation.

S - Roasted and nutty with some darker caramel malt aroma.

T - Much like the smell, roasted malts, woody, nutty, and some darker caramel malt.

M - Very thin...too thin.

D - Refreshing, but in the sense that it is more of a nutty flavored water than a beer.

steelerguy, Apr 28, 2010
3.75/5  rDev +4.5%

Found in six pack form at a grocery store in Tennessee. I had only heard about Lazy Magnolia once before here a BA and quickly pounced at the chance to try it. I think I paid something like $8 a sixer. Not a bad investment on a fun take of the style.

The pop of the cap with little carbonation and super aggressive pour which revealed less than a finger of head had me worried about carbonation issues. There was no lacing and the liquid itself was crystal clear brown. Concern was in order.

The smell was of mostly roasted malts and...roasted pecans! There definitely was some of that great nutty characteristic here and I was glad to smell it. Toasted bread was faintly there at all. Hop heads beware...this was not brewed for you.

Taste followed the smell. The bill is malt forward with nice toasted pecans throughout. It's extremely mellow with a hint of sweetness than is not sickingly so. I like it.

Mouthfeel is a bit thin, watery, and flat but that helps out the drinkability. I could easily drink a few of these in a row in a short time (and I did) without getting to board.

This is a nice beer to try. I love seeing southern brewers making good and getting their beer distributed. The flavors are good without being too aggressive and would be a good transition beer for BMC drinkers. On a side note, I blended one of these with a Sweetwater IPA and got a sum was better than the parts. The increased carbonation and hops in the IPA helped the problems with Southern Pecan by itself and still showcased the pecans well. Try it at least once and you will not be disappointed.

hopsbreath, Apr 27, 2010
4.15/5  rDev +15.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

This beer is exceptional, a real killer. It is more of a red ale than a brown ale and tastes wonderful, a nutty aftertaste- even a film permeates this beer wondrously. I am thoroughly impressed. I admit the pecan promise turned me off originally, but I was very pleasantly surprised.

I may just have my new favorite beer.

Valdus, Apr 27, 2010
4.05/5  rDev +12.8%

A-Brunt orange color...flat looking....

S-Enticing toasted malt, biscuity malt base....some toasted nuts...

T-Toasted malts and toasted nuts are prominent but not indulgent. Hard to identify the pecans but there is a nice nutty dimension to go with the base toasted malt.

M-Medium to light medium...a little slick...low carbonation but I think it works well with this but does make it seem a little thinnish at times..

D-I was very excited to try this beer. About what I expected. A little more body would do wonders for this beer...not much..just a little...not saying it needs to be porter like or anything but it comes off as a little watery....great aroma...that is the highpoint...reminds me a little of the old Longshot Hazelnut Brown of about 1996 or so...

ZAP, Apr 24, 2010
3.63/5  rDev +1.1%

big thanks to phil7568 for the trade and the chance to try this. Pretty decent looking pour. Its a Chestnut brown ale with a sharp off white head, looks like decent carbonation and some mild lacing. The smell is nice with nuts, cream, toffee and light sugar. The taste is not really like the nose. Most people have complained about this being on the flat side. I'm not getting that but it is watery, almost like a weak Porter with bland malt good nuttiness, mild cream and a slight peppery/hop finish. This is a bit thin and has average to below average feel for me. Yea this is easy to drink and is highly sessionable but there are better options in my basement to crack a 2nd.

This is one I will revisit once my extreme beer quest calms!

jstilwell, Apr 15, 2010
3.6/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance - Red/Amber in color. Slight haze but not much to speak of. A nice head formed, which quickly resolved int a thin ring. Light carbonation. No lacing.

Smell - Sweet malty and nutty nose. Almost a roasty aroma as well. Not overpowering at all. Some nice bright aromas.

Taste - Starts with some lively malty notes, moves into a light middle and finishes with a somewhat dry crisp end-game. Some hops are present but they are quite mild and only contributes to at the finsh.

Mouthfeel - A light body easy to see this one going down fast and often. A bit watery/thin but within what you would expect for the style.

Drinkability - An easy drinker this one. Would be good as a spring/fall offering. A bit too sweet for a summer drinker.

Nesued, Apr 13, 2010
4.2/5  rDev +17%

I am coming to love Brown Ales and this beer is no exception.

Purchased a six-pack at my local Publix grocery store.

A - typical brown color that comes with this type of beer; little to no head retention

S - wonderful aroma; slight caramel and hops; THIS IS WHAT A BROWN ALE SHOULD SMELL LIKE!

T - much more hops in the taste than in the aroma, but not something that overpowers; charcoal and nutty back flavor

M - flows nicely; a little flat, but not so much that it is distracting

D - This beer is not for the first time beer drinker, but is wonderful for someone looking for a alternative to the typical, middle of the road ale

TitanTake, Apr 06, 2010
4.43/5  rDev +23.4%

Pours brown, with nice head and excellent lacing. Has a very nice scent, deep and malty with a wonderful nutty undertone. Excellent taste; it has a wonderful thick deep maltiness that goes with brown ales, with a wonderful sweet pecan flavor; tastes merge nicely. It goes down great, as well.

The taste was a lot like a very nice brown ale that had disolved some maple nut goodies candies into it. I love brown ales and I love maple nut candies. If you don't like either, don't get this.

JamesS, Apr 03, 2010
3.48/5  rDev -3.1%

appearance: copper brownish ale with lots of rising bubbles and low head retention

smell: subtle caramel and low hop aroma

taste: nice nutty caramel taste from the malt and on the sweet side

mouthfeel: medium bodied, but light for a amer brown ale

drinkability: solid but not the best I have had

CampusCrew, Mar 31, 2010
4.25/5  rDev +18.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Picked this one up on a trip to Florida.

A: Pours a beautiful translucent nut-brown color without a hint of any coudiness; one-finger tan head that fades rather quickly.

S: Light malt with hints of roasted pecan. The smell was much lighter/fainter than I would have expected.

T: Wow! The roasted pecan is the star here. A slightly-malty front gives way to a mildly-bitter center, followed by a dry finish. Immediately after the finish comes a burst of roasted pecan in the aftertaste, with the char of the roast in precisely the slot you'd expect the bitterness from hops in an IPA, for example.

M: This has a light body, which is precisely what a southern brewery aims for. The carbonation is not too heavy, but I imagine it would cut nicely through the fat and sugar of a good pecan pie.

D: This is a session beer if ever I'd had one. Ultimately, the roast of the pecans might be more overwhelming than anything else in the beer. I'm happy with my six-pack, and will pick up more the next time I'm in the south.

speter, Mar 29, 2010
4.18/5  rDev +16.4%

I have had this beer a ton of times and I am now just getting around to reviewing it. It pours a clear brown, not a dark robust, but a nice clear brown. Not really digging the smell a lot, very dusty smells, kinda. The taste is where it's at! The rich sweet pecans are the flavors that tie this together and really makes this beer. A couple of buddies and I made a Brown a couple of weeks ago and threw some roasted pecans in there and I think we added too much. too early to tell, but it is sweet and nutty out of the carboy. Anyway, enough rambling. The light carbonation makes this easy drinking and I think everyone should have some.

-Bye

jbone78, Mar 24, 2010
3.83/5  rDev +6.7%

Bottle poured into a goblet.

A : Pours with little no head, and just a small coding of carbonation bubbles. It's a pretty medium brown with a hint of amber red. I'd really prefer a little head to this for accent. Partially tranluscent.

S : A malty mix with pecan, other roasted nuts, and tinges of floral tingle the nose. Enjoyable, not overpowering.

T : Malt's dominate, with little to no hop. The nuts come into play here, with some woody flavor. Its even a little sweet in-between, but not overly so. If you like your IPA's or hyper-complex ales, this one isn't for you. If your a simpleton wanting a nutty taste, it's extremely good.

M : A medium body on this one, which is suiting of its flavor and style. It leaves a small bit of dry-ness afterward. Carbonation is moderate, and well balanced.

D : I'm loving it. It's my choice dessert beer for now, as the bit of sweetness satisfies a craving of chocolate or something else late. Smooth going down makes it also very introducible to new beer enthusiasts.

This one won awards for a reason. It testifies to balancing style and flavor. It could only use some improvement on the head build. A beer designed to be enjoyed specifically for its flavor, not confound the senses with complexness.

ncfranklin, Mar 24, 2010
2.13/5  rDev -40.7%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass

A - this beer is a light brown with no head, when I hold this beer up I can see right through it

S - faint sweet nutty smell

T - faint taste of sweet malts, hardly any hop flavor

M - light body with a light amount of carbonation

D - This is real easy to drink... because there is hardly any flavor. It doesn't taste bad it just tastes like it is lacking. I have tried a variety of brown ales lately so I believe I know the style even if it isn't my favorite I can enjoy brown ales. I have a 6 pack of this and if this bottle was bad for some reason then I will re write this review. I will also check to see that this isn't way past its expiration date. I don't ever remember being so disappointed by a beer with such a good rating.

jpmclaug, Mar 20, 2010
4.15/5  rDev +15.6%

Thanks to RomaniIteDomum for this extra!

A = Dark brown with surprising clarity. Small cream colored bubbles go around the edge of the glass.

S = Wow, that's nutty. I'm also getting some maple syrup. It's one of the richer brown ales I've smelled.

T = I wondered what the pecans would do, and now I know. It gives this a smooth sweetness on the front end while finishing off with a traditional English brown bitterness.

M = Actually, for how rich it smells, the mouthful is rather light.

D = This was highly enjoyable. If I could get this in the midwest, I would drink it often.

jcnd9803, Mar 18, 2010
3.18/5  rDev -11.4%

Received by trade from NewGeneric as a extra. I am mostly a Ipa fan. I like craft brew but for me this is not my style.

This beer has a woody taste it is okay and for the style I am sure there are people that will enjoy.

I don't think I would drink this again, just because it's not my style. A person must decide for themselves I thought this to be okay.

Casey10, Mar 13, 2010
3.83/5  rDev +6.7%

Pours a clear brown color with a tan head that leaves some sparse lace behind.

Aroma is nice toasted malts, light pecan notes go well with malt light spicy hops notes mingled in to.

Taste malty hints of toffee and caramel mingled in with toasty notes and some light nuttiness. Finish is nuts and spicy hops that linger on with carbonation that is present. A decent enough brew goes down mighty easy.

Mouthfeel is approaching medium but little on the light side for me. Carbonation is snappy.

Drinkability is well goes down pretty quick like a bit more body in my brown ales but this isn't bad at all. Not a go to beer but wouldn't turn it down.

mntlover, Mar 12, 2010
3.85/5  rDev +7.2%

Thanks to sinstaineddemon for this one

Pours a crystal ruby/brown with a one finger fine foamed tan head.

Scents of roasted candied pecans and toasted malts waft up from the head.

Tastes of toasted malts, slightly sweet nutiness.

A bit light bodied with a medium coarse textured carbonation.

Overall a very nice ale with a classic style that is accented nicely with nut notes.

UA8, Mar 04, 2010
3.33/5  rDev -7.2%

Poured into a nonic pint.

Appearance: Perfectly brown and translucent with a huge, creamy head that leaves generous lacing. It has the color of maple syrup.
The head is quite resilient and stays for nearly the whole glass.

Smell: Nutty, some dark fruit, and some hops mixed in. Also, a hint of cloves.

Taste: Starts off sweet brown sugar, phases into a nutty middle, and finishes with a hop bite. There's a slight metallic aftertaste that subtracts from it some.

Mouthfeel: A light feel that is almost thin enough to be watery. Carbonation is soft and not overpowering.

Drinkability: Definitely a quaffable brew. One of the better brews from our region.

Comments: A nice representative of the brown ale style, which is one of my favorite styles. I personally prefer a little more mildness in a brown, but this ain't too bad.

jovy1097, Feb 17, 2010
3.75/5  rDev +4.5%

Average looking brown color with a slight head. Low aroma-somewhat nutty and biscuity. Nice malty flavor with a distinct nutty flavor. Somewhat bready and biscuity. Nice lingering sweetness against the nutty flavor. Very full flavored for the lower abv. Nice body to match. Have wanted to try this for a long while and it has lived up to my self imposed hype. Very nice beer-great session beer for this kid.

lackenhauser, Feb 10, 2010
4.2/5  rDev +17%

Bottle poured into a pint glass.

A - Poured a clear dark amber, brown color with medium head that dissipated quickly leaving slight lacing around the glass.

S - Strong scent of pecans upfront with malts and slight hops.

T - Sweet malts with pecans upfront followed by caramel and slightly bitter towards the finish.

M - Medium bodied with medium carbonation.

D - Light in abv, very drinkable. Overall very sweet and I almost felt like I was drinking a liquid pecan pie.

taigor, Feb 05, 2010
3.95/5  rDev +10%

Light copper color in the glass with a thin head. Nose has some unexpected aromas that are somewhat funky-herbal, almost like a weird mushroom or something. Caramel flavors are present on the palate with that interesting herbal hop quality in the balance. Something atypical about this IPA but hard to pin down.

yemenmocha, Feb 05, 2010
3.65/5  rDev +1.7%

A - Pours a slightly transparent (not hazy just dark) muddy brown, slight light tan head that recedes quickly. Lots of large, unevenly sized bubbles. Recedes to a collar.

S - Surprisingly floral dark fruits (raisins especially), almost like an old ale "light" - not that I've had much experience with english brown's.

T - Very strong dark fruit profile - much more fruitily robust than I expected but in a good way. Not much of a strong nut profile at all, the lack of any pecan is especially disappointing.

M - Very light and frothy.

D - Nice and sessionable, and a good intro to the style. I like the flavor profile, very similar to many other much heavier beers.

NYCWheatFanSC, Feb 01, 2010
3.2/5  rDev -10.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to billab914 for throwing in this extra:)

Pours a maple syrupy red-brown. It's pretty clear and brilliant with no visible carbonation. The short, fizzy tan head fades immediately to nothing, leaving no lacing.

Not a whole lot to speak of in the smell. There's a light, toasty, nutty sweetness that ends right about there.

Light toasted nuts, crispy grains, syrupy caramel malts. Only a hint of apple hoppiness after the drink. Sryupy, sticky feel and would be viscous is not for being somewhat flat.

kels, Jan 30, 2010
3.85/5  rDev +7.2%

12 ounce bottle pours a clear, medium brown body with a small khaki head. Good retention and some patchy lacing.

Aroma is subtle. A hint of toffee and some spicy and floral hops.

Light medium body has an appropriate moderate carbonation.

Taste is malt driven. A hint of milk chocolate, faint nuttiness, and just enough spicy hop bitterness to balance. The pecans impart a candied nut flavor that works very well.

A very nice brown ale that drinks easily and quickly. The pecan adds a unique touch.

merlin48, Jan 29, 2010