Southern Pecan - Lazy Magnolia Brewing Company

good

Lazy Magnolia Brewing Company visit their website
Mississippi, United States

English Brown Ale |  4.50% ABV

Southern Pecan Nut Brown Ale is the first beer in the world, to our knowledge, made with whole roasted pecans. The pecans are used just like grain and provide a nutty characteristic and a delightful depth to the flavor profile. This beer is very lightly hopped to allow the malty, caramel, and nutty flavors shine through. The color is dark mahogany. Southern Pecan won a Bronze Medal in the 2006 World Beer Cup in the Specialty Beer category.

(Beer added by: Todd on 03-26-2005)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Southern Pecan Alström Bros

4.5/5  rDev +25.7%

3.29/5  rDev -8.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

4.96/5  rDev +38.5%

3.75/5  rDev +4.7%

Dark Brown in appearance. A very small nose on this beer that has very few hops for scent. The flavor to me makes this beer special. You can really taste the pecans with a very nice malty flavor. Has some yeast and very little bitterness. Can almost taste a little buttery I think, which can be the oils from the pecans. Gives the beer a nice creaminess. Mouth feel is medium to light. One of the first beers from Mississippi I have ever had. Being from Mississippi, this is by far the most common local beers and very solid choice for any occasion. When I think of Mississippi, this is the beer I go to.

3.12/5  rDev -12.8%

A friend brought these to have round the campfire. Had it out the bottle. Mild, smooth and pecan-y. Usually I'm bored by Browns, so this is a nice alternative. Would have again.

1.2/5  rDev -66.5%

3.7/5  rDev +3.4%

3.2/5  rDev -10.6%

4.48/5  rDev +25.1%

4.12/5  rDev +15.1%

3.66/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Look: 4 - A dark copper color with a thin head.

Smell: 3.25 - Some sweetness. It smells a lot like bread. Some sort of whole grain bread. Luck for this beer, I enjoy the smell of bread. It doesn't smell like pecan pie, not like I was expecting it to or anything...overall a pretty mild scent.

Taste: 3.75 - Nice! I wasn't really expecting any pecan flavor whatsoever, but I do! I really do! It's there! And quite nice I might add. The sweetness compliments the pecan flavor well, and I can taste some brown sugar as well. My hair isn't blown back or anything, but this has quite an enjoyable taste.

Feel: 3.75 - A little on the watery side, but I've certainly had worse. Like, there are some that are straight beer water. This one has a little more body than that. It's drinkable with some mild carbonation. For this style, this is about what I'd expect.

Overall: 3.68 - A decent beer, deserving of a C rating. There's a time and place for this beer, but I'd certainly have it again!

3.8/5  rDev +6.1%