Jefferson Stout - Lazy Magnolia Brewing Company

Lazy Magnolia Brewing Company visit their website
Mississippi, United States

Milk / Sweet Stout |  4.65% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 03-01-2005

Jefferson Stout, Lazy Magnolia's original Sweet Potato Cream Stout, is Lazy Magnolia's version of the ideal Southern-Style Stout. Jefferson Stout is brewed with sweet potatoes and lactose (milk sugar). The sweet potatoes provide the background to an impressive taste with added notes of roasted chocolate, coffee and caramel flavors.

4.38/5  rDev +18.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Lucky to get a growler of this after somehow missing it at beerfest last week.

Poured into pint glass. Deep dark brown, almost black with puffy 2 finger brownish head that dissipated slowly to a thin layer. Thin lacing.

Smells of brown sugar and roasted malt. Faint alcohol smell.

Tastes great! Roasty and sweet with just enough bitterness to balance everything out.

Full bodied with a dry finish.

Overall a different type of stout. This growler will not last long.

Poured into a pint glass at Avenue pub, New Orleans

Appearance: 1/2 inch head, black in color, opaque

Smell: roasted malt and cream

Taste: big coffee start, cream, caramel, and a touch of coconut follow.

Mouthfeel: medium carbonation, medium-heavy body, semi-bitter start followed by a very super sweet middle and a less sweet ending.

Overall: This is right up there with the best of LM beers. It is perfect on a hot southern afternoon. This has a nice combo of the biting coffee and super sweet sugar. I could have several of these. A unique beer that may be my new favorite in the style.

3.33/5  rDev -10.2%

Drinking Date:1/11/11

Appearance: Black with a light-brown, foamy head that sticks around for a little while and leaves some lacing.

Smell: faint roasted smell reminiscient of coffee.

Taste: This brew reminded me of sweet, dark-roast coffee with cream in it. The roasted coffee flavor was up front with milky sweetness throughout. The beer finished clean with little aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: light-bodied which I thought was atypical of the style. About as viscous as water going down. (This can work for or against the beer depending on your mood). No carbonation that I noticed.

Drinkability: The moderate flavor, light body, and low alcohol lend this beer to multiple drinks as long as you aren't looking for a gripping, intricate flavor.

Notes: A decent beer. Worth a try, but don't expect alot. Little complexity and light on taste and body, but not bad. I am still proud of our MS brewery.

2.13/5  rDev -42.6%

A-black, thin light tan head

S-surprisingly i'm not picking up not much more than a light hint of sweet potato, and possibly some cream. very very unique for stout

T-I'm getting some coffee notes with a sweet potato after-taste but more than anything this beer is just watery. it is absolutely a terrible stout. I'm not sure what kind of beer you're wanting to drink if you enjoy this. If you're expecting a stout or anything that resembles one, this beer will disappoint you.

M-I don't think there is actually any carbonation. It goes down more like orange juice.

D-not drinkable whatsoever. only my respect for beer kept me from spilling this down the drain.

2.63/5  rDev -29.1%

Had this beer on tap at Mugshots on Saturday Night. I've almost made my way through their entire portfolio.

A: beer came in a 22oz mug with a half inch of a fluffy tan head. beer was black as night just like a stout should.
S: smelled like roasted malts with a little bit of sweetness. Nothing out of the ordinary and not very robust aromas.
T: slightly bland and watery but inoffensive roast malt flavor with a kiss of chocolate and coffee. Very sweet and lingering aftertaste. This beer vaguely reminds me of Left Hand Milk Stout with the taste but Jefferson Stout has a much sweeter aftertaste. This caused it to loose points because it wasn't something I found desirable.
M: Thin and watery for a stout with typical minimal carbonation that was only apparent from the prickly feeling it left on the swallow.
D: Heavy on the stomach like a typical stout so one was enough to satisfy me.

Overall: Not bad, but not something I'm going to go hunting for on tap since they don't bottle the entire line. It almost made sitting at the bar listening to the obnoxious Bama fans tolerable.

I don't know if it's because I'm used to drinking big beers, the southern style they have or if its the terrible beer laws they are forced to abide by here but most every beer has been fairly lackluster and disappointing.

4.3/5  rDev +15.9%

Great drinking beer! Served with a thick, creamy, fine tan head and some lace. Color was an opaque brown black. Aroma was chocolate, a bit of coffee, roasted malts. Flavor was like aroma plus nut meats and a great bitter to sweet balance. Body and carbonation were appropriate to style and good. Finish was like flavor and medium in length. Session beer.

2.91/5  rDev -21.6%

Arrives black with a tan head that dissipates quickly but looked creamy. Left very little lacing.
Smell is malty, caramel and coffee though quite weak throughout. I really had to search to find this much.
Taste is much better, a decent balance of malt, coffee and caramel.
Medium bodied with a light effervescence. Overall, a middle-of-the-road kind of brew. Given the other reviews, I hope that this one might just have been off a bit. I will look for others from this brewer in hopes they are better.

4.26/5  rDev +14.8%

It is an English Stout with low ABV for the style. Only 3.8%. Poured into a pint glass, nearly black with about an inch of caramel colored head that thinned to about 1/8th of an inch, but remained until the last drop.

Aroma was mostly of coffee with a hint of chocolate.

The taste was very much of coffee with a light sweetness to it. I am guessing the sweetness could be attributed to the sweet potatoes it is brewed with. And the coffee taste would be from the roasted malts.

The mouth feel of this beer was not as thick as I was anticipating by looking at the color. Medium bodied and very creamy with light to moderate carbonation.

The drinkability of this beer is excellant for a stout. The low ABV coupled with the sweetish coffee taste is a great combination. This is, by far, my favorite offering from Lazy Magnolia and one of my all-time favorite stouts.

4.49/5  rDev +21%

Poured from a Party Pig into a Lazy Magnolia pint glass.
The beer poured a deep near black color, with some slight garnet hues towards the edges. The head was a minimal, chocolate colored affair, that faded away fast, leaving nothing much in the way of a foam cap or lacing. In my
opinion, the weakest part of this beer. It could be the fault of the Party Pig though.
The aroma is rich and inviting. Hints of chocolate mingle with a robust coffee and caramel smell, with notes of sweet malt, and a rich smell that I'm attributing to either the lactose, or the sweet potatoes. Nothing discernable in the way of a hop aroma. The roasted malts are the star of this show.
The taste is great. It starts sweet, but the astringint roasted malt starts to creep in, but the sweetness of the lactose, and the malts cut the bitterness, leaving the palate full of roasted coffee goodness, cut with sweetness,
and a moderately full feeling in the mouth. The carbonation on my pint was less than I was anticipating, but again, I'm blaming the Pig.
This is a wonderful beer by Lazy Magnolia. This needs to be bottled and sold along with their other flagship offerings. A good concept and great execution by Lazy Mag.

4.3/5  rDev +15.9%

Pours a dark brown color with a 1 finger tan head that retained well and left nice lacing.

Aroma of roasted malt with light hints of chocolate and coffee. A definite sweetness that I'm guessing comes from the sweet potato element.

Taste is mildly sweet with some obvious notes of coffee and cream, and also some light notes of chocolate and roasted malt.

Medium bodied with a nice creamy mouthfeel. Light and refreshing, this a very drinkable stout that has always left me wanting more. My favorite offering from LM so far and one that I've been coming back to a lot lately.

4.08/5  rDev +10%

A - This beer poured a dark brown color that produced a nice moderately sized fluffy tan head which had decent retention and laced the sides of the glass nicely

S - The aromas produced by this beer were roasted malts and chocolate

T - The taste of this beer has the roasted malts and chocolate that one would expect from a Stout, but the addition of the sweet potatoes mixes quite well with the flavors of the Stout, while not being overbearing

M - The mouthfeel of this beer has a medium body with a light amount of carbonation, creamy but not as creamy as most Stouts

D - The drinkability of this Stout is up for debate, the body I am not particular fond of in my Stouts, but the ABV level makes it very drinkable and something that I could have a couple of before filling up

4.15/5  rDev +11.9%

Had this one on tap at T J. Clyde recently and many o time. I always enjoy trying Lazy Magnolia's take on brews so this was a must try. I heard it is the realm of 3% ABV, so I know it will be light and sessionable.

A: Pours a pretty nice dark brown. It appears to be almost black, but it does come through as more of brown on the pour and when held to light. It is not opaque, it allows light through and if you concentrate hard enough you can see through to the other side at the top and bottom of the glass. Light brown head is created on the pour to about a finger or so. Retention is so so, but the head can be easily roused with some movement. Lace is minimal on the glass but present.

S: Smell is nice. Getting some dark malts with a light roast on them. Maybe some chocolate character coming out. Getting a nice cream aroma, that adds a little milky quality here. The sweet potato presence is light but noticable. It brings out that natural sweetness and a touch of the rich quality you get from sweet potatoes. Other than the sweet potato quality, it is pretty standard fare. BUT . . . the sweet potato adds enough to pull this out of mediocrity in my eyes.

T: Yet again this beer stacks up nicely. Slightly roast malts come through first. A touch of that chocolate comes out and lingers with some coffee flavors as well. The cream is present as well but is very light and works. What really brings the beer together is the sweet potato addition. It has a nice earthiness and natural sugar quality that compliments great. Creates some really nice and robust flavors for such a light ABV brew.

M: This beer creates a medium feel with a decent carbonation. Still this beer has a seemingly thick feel at times and stays a nice and creamy stout. The ABV is small and it shows, keeping this easy drinking. The real show stopper for me is the fact that it finishes pretty clean for having some nice flavor. It doesn't overwork the palate at all, just gives you flavor and ease of drinking.

D: Low ABV with a good flavor and aroma makes an easy drinking beer. Insanely easy to put down and a joy to drink. You can actually trick yourself into believing there is no way that this a small beer because it does have such nice and big flavors and aromas. If you ask me, this should be bottled. I think it would be a great seller for Lazy Mag and it is very accessible for noobs IMO. I won't belittle it by calling it a gateway stout, its just a great beer. This beer is an example that you don't need a stupid high ABV to have a great beer with good flavor.

3.54/5  rDev -4.6%

Had several times on tap @ J. Clyde

A - Pours a handsome dark brown color with a very thin head which disappears very quickly. I've never experienced any lacing on the glass with this beer.

S - Nice aromas of roasted malts, coffee, chocolate...smells very robust. Hop aromas are not present but still smells very nice.

T - Disappointing flavor follows such a fine smelling beer. The flavors present in the aroma just don't pop in the taste. It has a relatively thin/watery feel which seems to take away from the big flavors I expect to find. Slight bitterness balance out the dark malt flavors.

M - Thinner than I like in a stout

D - This is a very easy drinking stout. It's relative light body make it very drinkable and one could have a ton of these in a drinking session.

4.25/5  rDev +14.6%

This was the second beer I had tonight at the Mellow Mushroom in flowood, ms. I have to say it was easily the best beer I've had in Mississippi - aside from the beer I bring back from other states.

Poured into a 16 oz pint glass this beer is jet black and has a 1/2 inch tan head that recedes to a thin lace that can be conjured at any moment by the swish of a glass.

The smell is of roasted whole bean coffee, light caramel, sweet cream, and bittersweet chocolate. There's a little something going on in this glass!

The first taste instantly brings me back to the first old rasputin I've ever had. This is baby old raspy from now on in my book. It's a bit sweeter and heavier on the coffee but it's really pleasant to drink. Everything you smell you taste and it's amazing! I'd have 3 more if I wasn't driving - I did have two of these though!

Mouthfeel is actually a little chewy and you can feel the hop oils in your mouth - this is a great sensation. This has an oily, malty, flavorful sensation that goes a longgg way with a stout drinker.

Drinkability is very high. I would guess the abv around 5.5-6.0% abv. There is a bit more kick in this beer than most from Lazy Mag. It's tasty and I'll definately come back for more!

4.5/5  rDev +21.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

For a ABV of 3.5%, it has quite a kick to it. Compared to other stouts it has alot less prominent after taste. It has full roasty aromas of coffee, malt, a hint of coffee , chocolate, and the signature sweet potato. I would definitely recommend drinkers to visit Kiln, Mississippi and try all of their beers. I hear they have a habanero beer. I love Lazy Mag!

4.13/5  rDev +11.3%

On tap. Pours a very dark brown with a beige head. Faint aromas of dark roasted malt, toffee, and chocolate, with an overall sweet character. Taste is quite sweet as well, again with chocolate, coffee, and cream. Quite earthy in the background. Very nice, thick feel. Lots of character and body for such a light ABV. Very good.

4.21/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a party pig into a Lazy Magnolia pint glass.

Pours dark brown with only the slightest amount of light showing through the edges. The head was a massive light mocha which lingers as a cap and leaves good lacing.

The aroma is fairly mild and dominated by dark roasted malts and lactose. There is also some sweet sugary notes that might be attributable to the sweet potatoes.

The taste is even sweeter than the aroma suggests with some chocolate, brown sugar and sweet potatoes. There is still some roasted malts in the background but this a very sweet stout.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied with lots of carbonation.

This is an extremely drinkable stout and one of the better sessionable stouts I've had in a while. I'm glad I had the opportunity to pick this up, and it is, without a doubt, the best beer I've had from my home state of Mississippi.

4.42/5  rDev +19.1%

Poured from a Party Pig into a standard pint glass.

A: Opaque dark, dark brown with a generous two finger tan head that disipates to a ring. Very little lacing. Slight ruby hues present around the edge of the glass.

S: The cooked and candied sweet potato presence is noticable on the nose. Coffee and toffee notes are present.

T: Wonderful bittersweet coffee flavor. The sweet potato flavor is present, but not prominant. It adds a nice character to the flavor profile.

M: Medium mouthfeel. A nice study presence that has a decent clean finish.

D: This stout has a pretty low ABV and is nice a flavorful. That equates to many, many Jefferson Stouts in a session. Excellent brew from an excellent brewer. The party pig is woorth the money to have JS available when the urge arises.

3.98/5  rDev +7.3%

Many thanks to the J Clyde for having this on cask last night. I had three and all were great. This is a great, light feeling stout. Poured an opaque brown-black. Head seemed to dissipate after the shock of hitting the glass. Being brewed with sweet potatoes added a different feel. Coffe and chocolate lay down but are present. This is a very smoothe drinking stout. It's a crying shame this is a seasonal as it would be a great summer-time sipping stout as one of me fellow Free the Hops member stated. Great Beer!

I felt really lucky to try this beer. I had passed a disappointing afternoon at Hal & Mal's, drinking the three Lazy Magnolias that they offered and not really being impressed by any of them. I had gone back to the motel where I was spending the night and asked if there were any bars nearby and I was sent to one about a half a mile away that had this one on tap. In fact, a sign at the bar said "Limited time only - made with sweet potatoes". Sold!

It arrived with just a few wisps of head that swirled and went away. The mouthfeel was medium with a very sweet taste in the mouth. The color was an extremely dark brown, sort of a cola color, but with ruby highlights. It did not allow a lot of light to penetrate, but there appeared to be good clarity. The finish had a lingering sweetness. This was definitely a sweet stout. I have to admit that I was intrigued by this one. Mississippi's brewery, indeed.

4.2/5  rDev +13.2%

I've had all but one of the Lazy Magnolia brews and this is probably my favorite of the bunch. Poured a beautiful black color with white creamy head that hung around until the end. Made with sweet potatoes and a bit of milk lactose. I can't say that I taste either one, but this is one smooth stout. Kind of a thin mouthfeel for a stout, but excellent. Try it.

This beer pours very dark- almost black which scares away anyone who doesn't like dark beer, but they are truly missing out because this is a very smooth stout. It smells of coffee and definitely has a nice coffe flavor with hints of caramel and dark chocolate. This is an excellent after dinner drink. Many restaurants/bars will serve it too cold. Let it sit so the many flavors have a chance to come out. It is a seasonal, so be sure to try it if you see it.

4.12/5  rDev +11.1%

Pours a nice deep brown to near black colour with a thinner, quicker dissolving head than anticipated, but still pretty nice looking overall.

The aroma is sweet: caramel malt, hints of chocolate, a touch of coffee and possibly some earthy nut notes as well.

The flavour is more of the same, with any earthy notes giving way to more sweetness, although said sweetness is never overpowering and well balanced as the coffee notes shine through a touch more here to cut through everything. Mouthfeel is medium to full bodied, which is a bit lighter than expected for a stout, but still very nice. There's a good amount of creaminess here too.

This is a solid stout overall. Simple and flavourful and certainly easy drinking. A nice introduction to the Lazy Magnolia family for sure that makes me eager to eventually sample some more of their brews.

4.06/5  rDev +9.4%

Appearance - Black with a slight bit of red peeking through in a well-lit room. Two-finger head that coats the glass throughout.

Smell - Coffee and alcohol grace the senses, although not offensive.

Taste - Slightly sweet, coffee, chocolate, and a slight hint of sweet potato's hit the roof of your mouth.

Mouthfeel - Slightly light for a stout. Just like the rest of the offerings I've had from Lazy Magnolia, they're always lighter than I expect.

Drinkability - This is a great beer that you could always have on hand. I do enjoy the lighter consistency in a full-flavored stout. A great spring seasonal.

Notes: Lazy Magnolia is one of my favorite local breweries down in the south. Always making excellent beers and excelling at what they do. This brewery is going places.

4.42/5  rDev +19.1%

One of the better stouts I’ve had recently. They say it’s made with sweet potatoes, but I’ll have to take Leslie’s word for that because I can’t taste any. What I do taste is a very deep and robust flavor with lots of character. Heavy roasted flavor with plenty of chocolate and lots of coffee. It’s a seasonal, or at least not one of Lazy Mag’s year-round brews so I don’t know how long it’ll be available. If you run across it don’t miss the chance.

The Wife, who is normally only marginally stout prone went absolutely nuts for this one. She drank half of mine and ordered two more for herself afterwards. I think this is a testament to it’s smoothness and balance.

Jefferson Stout from Lazy Magnolia Brewing Company