Deep South Pale Ale (Reb Ale) - Lazy Magnolia Brewing Company

Deep South Pale Ale (Reb Ale)Deep South Pale Ale (Reb Ale)

Lazy Magnolia Brewing Company visit their website
Mississippi, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.21% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-07-2006

Deep South Pale Ale is Lazy Magnolia's Pale Ale, a crisp and clean beer with the perfect balance of hops and malt. Its body and clean finish are ideally suited for all seasons, and the brew is moderately hopped for a great aroma and impressive finish. Deep South Pale Ale doesn't fit into any category of Pale Ale, it's a style we made up!

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Deep South Pale Ale (Reb Ale) Alström Bros
3.26/5  rDev -1.8%

Poured from 12oz bottle. Many thanks to betsona for this bottle.

A- Pours a amber color..duh! One and a half finger semi-white head shows medium retention. Nice specks of lace all over the sides of the glass.

S- I get a stronger wheat base out of this with hints of citrus hops and some bitter ones thrown in there as well. There is a certain offness to this that I can't quite pick up on...like corn or something else. Light almost nutty malts in the ending of the aroma.

T- Light roasted malts in the front of the beer show off a light nutty flavor to them. The middle of the beer shows more of a wheat underbody which I could get into a little more than the front end. Ending goes back to a bigger malt with there being some stale bitter hops in the ending. Alcohol is not really there until it warms up which then becomes a little medicinal.

M- Medium mouthfeel. Carbonation is a little light for the style. Roasted malts and hints of nut and whear are left on the palate. Aftertaste is stale alcohol, nutty malts, and hints of bitter hops. Flavors were a little underwhelming at times and not fully balanced. No off flavors were present. Light alcohol drying on the palate.

O- This was a interesting beer. Don't know what I fully think of it. Will the South rise again? Maybe....but not anytime soon in my glass. Well unless I get another bottle of it. (1,364 characters)

3.26/5  rDev -1.8%

A- A nice orange color with pretty good clarity. a billowy head though it disappears quickly. looks rather much like a lighter amber i would say.
s- smell is pretty subdued, but not too terribly so. smells present are toffee, bread, a wee bit of hops, maybe some like apple or pear, and then a strage smell, that has an artificial tendency to it. kinda strange.
t- taste has a strange tendency like the smell. it starts with that, has good hop character, finishes with some nice bread tones, but that strange beginning flavor just messes with me.
m- a good bit too thin. it doesn't really hold its own. i know its a pale wheat ale, but still...
d- all in all not a terrible beer, but there is just something off about the beer that doesn't do it.
not the best pale wheat ale or best of lazy magnolia but not a terrible beer. thumbs in the middle. (847 characters)

3.24/5  rDev -2.4%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass.

A - straw/dark golden in color, 2 inch head. some but not a lot of lacing

S - smells very hoppy, citrus and grapefruit. subtle malts as well

T - Not a whole lot here. the fruity hops come through and some malts but all in all the flavor is weak. smells better than it tastes. also get some metallic flavor towards the end.

M - Watery. and has light mouthfeel

O - not very impressed with this. the best thing about this beer is right before you drink it (502 characters)

3.23/5  rDev -2.7%

12oz brown ale with no freshness date.

LOOK: Big froth, shiny golden

SMELL: Spicy, floral, orange zest, hint of pine, biscuity, yeast, faint esters

TASTE: Bitter, vegtal, thin graininess, orange peel, leafy, earthy, grainy, dry, chalky yeast

Assertive with a lot going on, a bit chaotic as the hoppiness runs a bit astray and there is not much there to tame it. One and done. (379 characters)

3.23/5  rDev -2.7%

This was a gift to me from Sam Knocken and I wanted to get it in while it is still fresh. The CANQuest (TM) must wait!

From the bottle: "American Pale Ale was first crafted by West Coast Brewers who drew inspiration from English and India Pale Ale styles. Americans are known for taking a good idea to the extreme. Southerners are known for taking extreme ideas and making them great."; "Some think the South is behind the fads. We aren't slow. We just take our time, use what we like and leave the rest behind. This is the sentiment behind Deep South Pale Ale: something bold and distinctive, a vibrant reflection of the culture and flavors unique to The Deep South."; "Deep South Pale Ale's dry hop aroma reminds you of a walk through southern pine forests on a warm summer day. The crisp malt character is balanced with the spicy aroma of hops to provide a smooth, refreshing finish. We broke away from published style guidelines and created our own style: Deep South Pale Ale."

My pour initially netted a finger-and-a-half of tawny head, but it quickly fell, leaving some sticky lacing in its wake. Color was a deep-gold with NE-quality clarity and Midas and Croesus were envious. Nose was indeed redolent with pine hops, but I will have to take their word for it on what "southern pine forests on a warm summer day" smell like. Mouthfeel was medium but the taste seemed kind of saturated with dry hops. My tongue felt like it had been dusted with hops by the time that I swallowed. Finish was dry, but it just did not seem to be my cup of tea. (1,550 characters)

3.2/5  rDev -3.6%

Poured from 12 oz bottle into a pint glass

A: Standard copperish gold, finger head recedes pretty fast.

S: Some hops. Sort of biscuity. Not a lot going on with the smell

T: Hoppy, sort of earthy. Drinks more like an IPA.

M: Though it reminds me of an IPA, it's pretty light.

Overall: It's an ok beer. Not worth almost $10 for a sixer at the grocery store near me. It's bitter like an IPA but not much else...no citrus or resin that I typically enjoy. (456 characters)

3.19/5  rDev -3.9%

A- The color is a clear golden/brown. There is a lot of foamy head that is pretty thick. It sticks to the glass and after my first drink was mostly foam, I had to wait for it to die down, but a substantial head lasts pretty much the entire drink. The drink is carbonated a little more than average as well.
S- The pine smell is very heavy in this beer. They advertise it as a deepwoods smelling beer and that is definitely true. A decent smelling beer.
T- This beer has some hops. The pine flavor is the most prevalant. There is very little malts and the taste is very consistent through the entire drinking. A steady but unique taste.
MF- Very crisp beer with little or no after taste. One of the smoother beers around.
D- Initially the beer is very easy to drink. It is not to filling but because the taste doesn't change at all I could see it getting boring. The person drinking with me said, "The more I drink this, the more it tastes like soap" so I'll take their word for it. (984 characters)

3.19/5  rDev -3.9%

A. Pours a golden orange with a foamy three finger head that leaves some foamy residual islands. Lots of yeast chunks in suspension.

S. Citrus hops when it's cold - lemon peel and orange. The piney and earthy hops come out more as it warms.

T. A bit of malty sweetness that doesn't balance the robust hoppy bitterness. Hops are reflective of the nose, except that the citrus hops never make a meaningful showing on the tongue - earthy and piney hops dominate and pack quite a punch.

M. Medium body with high level of carbonation.

D. How did this get listed as APWA? Certainly the closest to a PA or IPA. An interesting beer, but not something I'll be seeking out in the future. (681 characters)

3.18/5  rDev -4.2%

Pours to a nice buff head that sticks around well. Color is golden amber. Aroma is subdued malt and piney hops with a whiff of dill. Flavor is nice, with caramel malt and balancing bitterness and a slight nutty note similar to Southern Pecan. Mouthfeel is ok. Overall, it is drinkable, but has some weird quirks. They say it is not brewed to style so I will ignore the lack of hops. (382 characters)

3.15/5  rDev -5.1%

Lazy Magnolia Reb Ale from bottle into Pint Glass. Freshness date 04.08.10

(A)= Copper color, clear, minimal hazy yellow head (less than 1/8 inch)that disappated immediately.

(S)= Sweet, Bread Doughy

(T)= Crisp, Spicy, Metallic Copper Aftertaste

(M)= Smooth, Light, Decent carbonation

(D)= Easy brew. Could enjoy a six of these in one sitting without problem.

I enjoy this beer although it has a full taste, appealing color and aroma doesn't offend yet isn't impressive. (476 characters)

3.13/5  rDev -5.7%

Oh yeah. Mississippi tick thanks to Bobby.

A: The beer pours a golden amber color with a small white head.

S: Lightly hoppy on the aroma with a hop profile comprised mostly of citrus peel and grass. Otherwise, it's quite sweet with lots of toffee and bread malt aromas. Maybe just a light floral hop note.

T: Not the most pleasant flavor. It begins with stale bread, a touch of metal, and cardboard. A rather light floral hop note with sweet malt/bread and some fruity yeast esters. Hints of grass and a very mild bitterness.

M: Medium in body with medium to low carbonation.

O: My first Mississippi beer was a disappointing one. Decent aroma, but below average flavor. (675 characters)

3.13/5  rDev -5.7%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to piginapen for throwing this beer in as an extra!

This is my third and final Lazy Magnolia beer on the shelf. I hated Indian Summer. The Pecan was interesting and worth trying, but not for me. Reb Ale is my last hope for a beer to order next time I have to visit my grandmother in the deep south. Here it goes.

The beer pours a clear orange amber. It looks very fizzy, and an aggressive pour doesn't yield much head, and what little exists leaves me before long.

The smell is rather unpleasant. It's bready, but stale and musty. Some grassy hops come through as it warms, making the overall smell better. The taste, thankfully, is surprisingly solid based on the smell. It's dominated by a grainy bitterness, almost a rye flavor (though I know it must be wheat). The bread is less musty than in the smell. There's a slight metallic taste that doesn't bother me, but I can see turning my friends off completely.

The body is thin and unremarkable in the mouth. Pretty watery, though I can see it being crisp in an oppressive Louisiana summer. That's why I'm giving it a bit of the benefit of the doubt in terms of drinkability. I don't love it, but the taste is fine and I'd give it another shot in a more appropriate context. (1,237 characters)

3.12/5  rDev -6%

Poured into a glass at Brent's Drugs, Jackson, MS during a play reading. Not bad for $2.

A: rust colored with a half finger head that dissipates pretty quick. Leaves a thin white circle of head around the glass. Light lacing.

S: Piney resins dominate with a pinch of malt thrown in.

T: Hops come through with a real flourish, then begin to diminish. Slightly bitter finish, but not overpowering. Crisp and clean. Floral and citrus notes from the dry hopping.

M: light to medium; low carbination.

O: Very smooth. Drinks more like an IPA. Hopheads will cheer for this one. (575 characters)

3.03/5  rDev -8.7%

A: Decent head on a copper colored brew. Head was good initially but did not retain well. Almost no lace.

S: Not much hop aroma, a touch of biscuit and breadiness.

T: WHile this beer has not oxidized, it just tastes a bit like cardboard. The hops are not very present and the sweetness is rather bland.

M: Not bad considering. It is refreshing and light with nothing off to note.

D: I am sure I could drink many of these but don't know if I would want to (458 characters)

3.03/5  rDev -8.7%

12 oz bottle pours a clear, dark gold color with a fluffy white head. Nice retention, just a little lace.

Nose is an even split of crackery, biscuit maltiness and piney hops. A little bit of nutty yeast comes out as it warms.

Taste is pretty similar to the nose with lots of piney bitterness. The malt is fairly prevalent and very boorish. For a new beer, bring something to the table, not just a rehash of something that has been done hundreds of times by hundreds of breweries. This tastes like a Pale Ale that was born in the mid-90s with classic varietals of hops and malt. Its a decent Pale Ale, but it is so very boring and desperately needs more hop flavor. I wont buy it again, I find it to be just on the short side of average. (738 characters)

3.02/5  rDev -9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz bottle poured into an Imperial pint. "Deep south pale ale" 12/05/09 printed on the label.

Thanks to PerzentRizen for this bottle!

A - A moderate pour released a gushing head. After overflowing everywhere, it stood at just above four fingers tall. The loose bubbles hung on for a long time leaving some loose lacing. The beer is a lightly hazy golden yellow with decent carbonation bubbles rising up. Great appearance after the overflow mishaps.

S - The aroma is a bit faint which could be due to the age. I'm picking up low pale malts with a lemon citrusy hop nose that's a bit floral in nature. It could stand to be stronger.

T - The flavor is a citrusy lemon hop crispness with a floral touch and a low pale malt backbone. The whole flavor is just a bit thin.

M - Thin feeling despite a medium-low body. A bit watery too. The finish is crisp from carbonation and a bit dry with very little in the way of bitterness.

D - I think I'd love to try this fresh but it's not terrible now. The body needs a little work and the aroma could be a bit stronger, but it's a great start. I could have a few of these while watching a movie. (1,139 characters)

A: miniscule white head with a light copper hue. A little bit of haze going on.

S: piney with some earthy notes.

T: bitter pine with some caramel sweetness. Slightly watery taste that finishes a little spicy. Not bad, but not bold enough for my liking. Somewhat balanced leaning toward the hoppy side of things. Again, not bad but I'd like a little more out of it. the closer I get to the bottom of the glass the more I like it though.

M: Lively carbonation with a good mouthfeel for the style.

D: I love IPAs and hoppy beers but this one just doesn't do it for me. One is ok but I wouldn't session this one.

Overall, not bad but not great. If I need a hop fix or can't find something else that I trust to drink if I feel the need it would do in a pinch. (759 characters)

2.99/5  rDev -9.9%

Poured a light caramel amber with a medium white head off the start, which quickly settled to a white ring around the glass.

Smelled of light piney hops, more of a malt presence on this one of pale malts

Taste is mostly a mix of piney twang in a wheat beer. There is a nice light wheat mouthfeel with a lot of bitterness and possibly some type of spice that gives a slight pepper taste.

Overall a light mouthfeel, a little too bitter / not as sweet as some other wheat pale ales out there, probably a little more bitter than some others I have had, could benefit from a few more aroma hops possibly. (603 characters)

2.98/5  rDev -10.2%

Somewhat fuzzy golden color with a head that goes on and on which leads me right to infection out of the starting gate. Not a bad looking beer per se but takes 3 pours to get 12 ounces into a pint glass. Somewhat sulfury and earthy aroma. Mildly astringent. Big hop biterness upfront-somewhat crisp. Faint citrus/lemon like flavor. Hop bite tends to dominate overall. Thin body wise-almost watery. Would seem even more so if it wasnt for the hops. Very, very average overall. Read the label closer-I thought it said RED ale-once I poured the beer I realized what was up. Pass for me. (583 characters)

2.89/5  rDev -13%

Growler Appearance: Clear light amber with foamy white head Aroma: Not much to pick up Taste: Palate: Fairly carbonated, dry, fairly bitter finish Overall: Good drinkability, although the bitterness really sticks out in a fairly light package. (298 characters)

2.82/5  rDev -15.1%

12oz bottle into a pint glass

A: Pours a hazy yellow color with a huge white head that slowly fades leaving some nice lacing.

S: The nose is very weird...it smells acrid but slightly hoppy and a hint of sweet malts. Not sure what's going on here...possibly skunked.

T: The taste is decent. Sweet malty tones lead way to a citrus hop flavor that fades out on the finish. The flavors are pretty muted but not bad.

M: The feel is overly carbonated but crisp. The bubbles are big like a BMC product...smaller bubbles would make this creamy and possibly help the flavor.

D: This is a decent Pale Wheat but nothing crazy.

I might be inclined to order this at a bar if I ever saw it but I won't be searching it out. (715 characters)

2.75/5  rDev -17.2%

Had this on tap at the Keg and Barrel in Hattiesburg, MS. Poured a pale gold color with little head that dissipated quickly. Aroma was not real distinct, but of wheat. Flavor was disappointing, kind of sweet, with little hop character. Mouthfeel was kind of thin which is characteristic of Lazy Mag beers. (305 characters)

2.7/5  rDev -18.7%

Pours a light gold, reminds me of your everyday pilsner. Slight lacing and a light fluffy head.

Smells of light hops and maybe a mild citrus. There's also a soapiness to it, although I didn't mind it.

Tastes very pale indeed. Not much going on but certainly better than what your dad drank. I think this would be a good starter beer to get someone familiar with the bitterness of a decently hopped beer. The more I drank it, the more the hops stayed with me. It left that good high pitched bitter aftertaste but unfortunately it fades quickly. Fairly light bodied and refreshing. I would call this a good tailgater. (619 characters)

2.58/5  rDev -22.3%

Reb Ale from Lazy Magnolia Brewing Company looks nice in my pint glass. Good carbonation here. Smell has some type of alcohol and slight malt odor. Unfortunately, the taste is exactly the same. Just alcohol, some malt, and bitterness present here. (I don't mean a good kind of hoppy bitterness either.) Not recommended. (319 characters)

2.55/5  rDev -23.2%

Thanks to BeerFMAndy for tossing this one my way.

Poured into my pint glass the beer is mostly clear golden yellow. About one finger of stark white head recedes leaving a faint ring of lace.

The aroma is lightly hopped with a touch of citrus. A moderate amount of malt comes through as it warms.

The flavor is sharp and bitter. There's a touch of hops in there somewhere. It's just dry and musty tasting.

Light thin body. Lots of carbonation.

Overall a rather offensive wheat ale. Not something I would drink again. (520 characters)

Deep South Pale Ale (Reb Ale) from Lazy Magnolia Brewing Company