Get FREE shipping on all US orders of $25 or more from the BeerAdvocate Store.

No promo code required. Offer valid through 4/30.

Ready to gear up? Start shopping →

Deep South Pale Ale (Reb Ale) | Lazy Magnolia Brewing Company

YOUR RATING = None |
Read the review
3.3

Deep South Pale Ale (Reb Ale)Deep South Pale Ale (Reb Ale)

Lazy Magnolia Brewing Company
Mississippi, United States | website

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Deep South Pale Ale is Lazy Magnolia's Pale Ale, a crisp and clean beer with the perfect balance of hops and malt. Its body and clean finish are ideally suited for all seasons, and the brew is moderately hopped for a great aroma and impressive finish. Deep South Pale Ale doesn't fit into any category of Pale Ale, it's a style we made up!

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-07-2006

Reviews: 84 | Ratings: 204
3.6/5  rDev +9.1%

Lazy Magnolia Deep South Pale Ale

Appearance: amber clear, medium-large head, and some lacing.

Smell: bold hops, grapefruit citrus, and some grain.

Taste: strong whole hop, light grain, and a bitter grapefruit.

Mouthfeel: medium and slightly watery.

Overall:
This is a decent brew. There is a strong whole hop flavor and a good grapefruit note. However, it is not as full bodied in mouthfeel as I'd personally like.

3.32/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Bought a single at World Market in Round Rock for a build your own 6-er.

Poured a golden/copper color, a bit cloudy, with a 1/2 inch white head that disappears quickly. Left some spotty lacing. Not a bad looker

Getting some dull piney hops, some wheaty malt...maybe a bit of spice? Interesting.

Hmm, this almost tastes like a pale ale light...hops are very subdued. Getting kind of a tinny/metallic taste mixed in with the malt...not exactly what I was looking for in a pale ale. A bit watery on the back end as well.

Overall, not exactly the best pale ale in the world, but could easily drink on a hot summer Texas day.

3.76/5  rDev +13.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours light orange, very transparent, with a very thick white foamy head. Head sticks around nicely and gives some lacing. Lots of effervescence from the bottom of the glass. Smells very hoppy, lots of pine notes with a bit of yeasty dryness. Some sweetness.

Flavor has a lot of hoppy bitterness, more yeast than expected, especially with a beer that's so clear. Hints of vanilla on the back of the palate. Lots of citrus character. I find it a bit cloying as I get to the bottom of the glass.

(I just looked it up, and this beer is classified as an American Pale Wheat Ale there. Checking with the Lazy Magnolia website, wheat is listed as an ingredient in this beer. The wheat could absolutely be causing that dryness and vanilla-ish flavor, although I never would have imagined it would. Very interesting, and worth a half-point in the rating.)

Mouthfeel is moderate, with heavy carbonation and moderate-to-heavy hops. Coats the palate.

So how do I feel about this brew? It's pretty good, but I would definitely get tired of it quickly. Despite the interesting notes caused by the wheat, the flavor's a bit one-note and the dryness gets tiresome pretty quickly. Definitely an interesting beer, but not an altogether successful one, in my humble opinion.

Poured from a bottle (thanks to PerzentRizen) into a pint glass.

Amber pour. Finger of dense, white foam retains well and sticks nicely.

Sweet malt and spicy hops in the nose. Label boasts "southern pine forest," but I'm smelling just as much citrus. I'm not complaining.

Caramel flavor immediately jumps out at me. Spicy hops, and some light piney bitterness. Some lingering hoppy flavor in the crisp finish.

Medium-light bodied. Crisp and refreshing. Nice carbonation. Easy drinker. Surprisingly flavor, a very solid "Deep South Pale Ale."

3.48/5  rDev +5.5%

Pours a translucent gold with a 2-finger white head. A sudsy ring remains throughout.

The scent is grainy with a hint of flowers; very subtle. Taste is piney and floral hops with a slight metallic character. Mouthfeel is crisp, carbonated, and slightly acidic; medium-bodied.

This is fairly drinkable. Nothing to rave about, but a sessionable brew.

2.89/5  rDev -12.4%

Growler Appearance: Clear light amber with foamy white head Aroma: Not much to pick up Taste: Palate: Fairly carbonated, dry, fairly bitter finish Overall: Good drinkability, although the bitterness really sticks out in a fairly light package.

3.19/5  rDev -3.3%

A. Pours a golden orange with a foamy three finger head that leaves some foamy residual islands. Lots of yeast chunks in suspension.

S. Citrus hops when it's cold - lemon peel and orange. The piney and earthy hops come out more as it warms.

T. A bit of malty sweetness that doesn't balance the robust hoppy bitterness. Hops are reflective of the nose, except that the citrus hops never make a meaningful showing on the tongue - earthy and piney hops dominate and pack quite a punch.

M. Medium body with high level of carbonation.

D. How did this get listed as APWA? Certainly the closest to a PA or IPA. An interesting beer, but not something I'll be seeking out in the future.

3.85/5  rDev +16.7%

This beer pours a very clear Golden with amber highlights and a very thick rick long lasting head that settles very slowly with a very delicate and long lived lacing running down the glass.

The nose is sweet malt and fragrant hops with notes pine, malt.

The taste is rather bitter and meets the criteria for a Pale Ale nicely. The bitter is strong, almost like an ESB but is very well balanced and fades nicely to a subtle and decent aftertaste.

The mouthfeel is rich and satisfying without being watery and is not that heavy for how strong the flavor is and for how rich and thick the head was.

Overall a very satisfying beer with excellent flavor and overall it is very satisfying. I will be buying this one again.

2.53/5  rDev -23.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Brew was drank at the Lazy Magnolia Brew House in the Gulfport-Biloxi airport on-tap.

Appearance - A nice copper hue with a decent head, goes away swiftly. Good lacing on the glass, pretty transparent

Smell - Mild spices, a little biscuity, some light citrus notes. Not much to speak of, honestly.

Taste - The hop bitterness in this beer is pretty haphazard. It hits you up front and on the finish. There is vague references to floral and citrus flavors, but not much.

Mouthfeel - I like the crisp, clean, bitter finish! There is just a collision of flavors that don't transition smoothly.

Overall - This ain't a bad brew. I love pale ale, and they got the bitterness down, but not much else. If they invented the "Southern Pale Ale" style like they say, I think it'd be a good idea to work on the recipe a little to bring it more cohesion. Not too bad, nut had a lot better.

3.5/5  rDev +6.1%

Dry hopped with whole leaf Cascade. Reviewed from notes.

Pours a golden color with a two-finger head with good retention.
Aromas of hops, citrus and pine.

Opens with hop bomb bitterness that tips the balance on malt. Taste profile moves into a subtle touch of pine and hint of grapefruit. Crisp and light bodied. Finishes dry with a sustained graininess.

DSPA tastes like an aggressively hopped American IPA with a trace of wheat character. Me likey.

3.27/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Pours light amber color in pint glass with little head and minimal lacing. Trapped at Jackson, MS airport waiting on delayed flight to Orlando.

Smell is fruity with hints of pine and malt.

Taste is sweet malts and hoppier than expected.

Mouthfeel is light bodied with average carbonation.

Overall this was better than expected.

3.63/5  rDev +10%

Pours a completely clear golden color. Tight white bubbles on the head dissipate at a medium pace.
Smells like salted pecans, soap and sweet bread. A very mild citrus hop aroma. nothing overpowering.
Starts light with a mild hop bitterness. Mild caramel bitterness mixes with a sharp grassy hop flavor. Finishes with more hop bitterness, very faint citrus and earthy pine. Bitterness throughout. A rye spiciness to it that rounds out the end nicely.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied, a bit over carbonated. Bitterness fills the mouth and coats the tongue

Overall a pretty good pale ale. Very easy to drink with pretty good hop flavor. A beer I imagine would be super stellar at the brewery, but I still dig it.

3.69/5  rDev +11.8%

Poured from the bottle into a weizen glass a nice amber golden color with some clarity. Head was very large, three to four fingers with a vigorous pour. Laces nicely. Aroma is definitely hops with the wheaty biscuityness present. Taste is hops with citrus flavors and the dryness of the wheat. Good crisp light to medium feel and minimal oilness. Sessionable beer that is enjoyable.

3.13/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to piginapen for throwing this beer in as an extra!

This is my third and final Lazy Magnolia beer on the shelf. I hated Indian Summer. The Pecan was interesting and worth trying, but not for me. Reb Ale is my last hope for a beer to order next time I have to visit my grandmother in the deep south. Here it goes.

The beer pours a clear orange amber. It looks very fizzy, and an aggressive pour doesn't yield much head, and what little exists leaves me before long.

The smell is rather unpleasant. It's bready, but stale and musty. Some grassy hops come through as it warms, making the overall smell better. The taste, thankfully, is surprisingly solid based on the smell. It's dominated by a grainy bitterness, almost a rye flavor (though I know it must be wheat). The bread is less musty than in the smell. There's a slight metallic taste that doesn't bother me, but I can see turning my friends off completely.

The body is thin and unremarkable in the mouth. Pretty watery, though I can see it being crisp in an oppressive Louisiana summer. That's why I'm giving it a bit of the benefit of the doubt in terms of drinkability. I don't love it, but the taste is fine and I'd give it another shot in a more appropriate context.

3.49/5  rDev +5.8%

12oz bottle poured into an imperial pint glass...

Pours a nice golden amber with just a touch of haze. Three to four fingers of soft white, meringue-like head erupts and leaves chunks of lacing down the glass...

Loads of caramel and bready malt fill the nose, a very faint hint of some sweet/citrus hops, but mostly just a bunch of malt. Not sure on the age of this beer...hopefully it is at least somewhat fresh, but who knows how much the hops (if there were any to begin with) have faded...

Sweet and dry, somewhat of a stale hop bitterness, but more dry and musty that truly biting from a good hop presence. Beer is loaded with caramel/toffee sweet malt. Almost a grassy and earthy, dry finish. While not bad by any means, the flavors seem sort of "phoned in" and a bit muddled...

Medium bodied with good carbonation. Crisp and easy drinking, mostly refreshing although the finish is a bit too dry and lingering in the aftertaste...

Picked this one up as a single in Nashville on my way through town, not sure on the age of this beer but the store I bought it at has a pretty good reputation. Glad to knock another state off my list, would like to try this beer again knowing it was fresh so I could possibly offer a better review...

3.73/5  rDev +13%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

i got this beer in my beer club this month. being a pale ale i dont expect much...but isnt that the point of a plae ale? 4 ingredients. i think this beer does what a pale ale is supposed to do, just be basic. nothing too special, but not bad... if you are lookin for a pa. this will work.

3.3/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass. It pours a golden/copper color with a 1/2 inch white head that disappears quickly. It leaves little a little white lacing.

S - Wheat, hops, a little piney but nothing mind blowing.

T - This tastes pretty good for a wheat pale ale, there is a mild bitterness that slightly lingers but is really good. I can taste the wheat, it's sort of like a light Pale Ale.

O - I just noticed I reviewed this years ago, I wonder if I reviewed the wrong beer because I really don't care too much for this one at all now.

3.68/5  rDev +11.5%

On tap at the City Grocery in Oxford, MS. Poured into a standard shaker.

A: Pours a clear golden-orange with a one-finger white head that doesn't last long and settles to almost nothing. Leaves behind just a trace of itself on the glass.

S: More piney than citrusy, however, both are somewhat muted. Sweet malt and some spiciness in the background. Doesn't smell overly hoppy.

T: The hops are there, but not nearly as much as I'd like. Citrus and pine are noticed right up front, but this is still a little disappointing. A slight malty backbone gives it a little more complexity, but just a bit.

M: Lighter side of medium for sure. Smooth and crisp, but somewhat watered down. Slightly drying at the finish.

D: Decent pale ale, but leaves a little to be desired. Subdued flavors are not bad for a hot summer day, and it goes down very easily. I'll revisit it again.

4.19/5  rDev +27%

I had this tonight fresh from the tap at the mellow mushroom in flowood, ms. I thought this would be just another low alchohol beer flavorless beer but it was really pretty good.

I ordered this along side the Jefferson Stout so I could let the stout warm as I drank this one. I'm not sure about the style because I've had very few American Pale Wheat Ales but it blew the FFF Pale Wheat out of the water from where I sit.

Poured into a 16 oz pint glass with little head and fairly cold this beer has a great look to it. There is a red to orange look in the light. Reb Ale is very clear.

The smell is a bit off putting to say the least. It's not hops, or malt, but more like a medicine smell that I'm detecting. There are the traditional smells but something in there doesn't have the right aroma - maybe this is the cause of all the bad marks. Read on though.

The first taste is very very light and refreshing. The first taste begs for a second and then a third. Within 5 minutes my beer has evaporated. This is so damn smooth it's ridicuous. I can taste light caramel, fresh apples, there is a light hop kick but it's almost like they used fuggles or williamette here - somewhat strange.

The mouthfeel is so light it begs to be drank fast. It's actually lighter than I wanted but is perfect with pizza. Best pizza beer?

Drinkability is amazing. I would drink this all day everyday. You could drink this like Bud its so easy on the palate and the gullet. Enjoy a six pack at a time if you like with this one. I'm guessing abv is around 4.1% - if that. Overall not bad at all.

3.81/5  rDev +15.5%

Poured into a pint glass from a 12 oz. bottle. I found a six pack today at Corner Market in Hattiesburg.

The appearance is golden yellow with a tall white head. Retention is decent, but lacing is below average.

The nose reminds me of a pale ale, but there is somewhat of an off-flavour. It's not that bad, but it definitely was not expected. The taste is closer to expected, with some toffee, apples and a nice bitterness.

The mouthfeel is a bit thin, something I've also noticed with Southern Pecan and Indian Summer. Drinkability is very high, perhaps too high; I find my glass almost empty within ten minutes.

It may be blasphemy in Starkville, but I must say that I like this beer. It is like a lighter version of a pale ale, and it may replace Southern Pecan as my favourite LM bottled beer. Now where is Miss. State's beer?

3.2/5  rDev -3%

Poured from 12 oz bottle into a pint glass

A: Standard copperish gold, finger head recedes pretty fast.

S: Some hops. Sort of biscuity. Not a lot going on with the smell

T: Hoppy, sort of earthy. Drinks more like an IPA.

M: Though it reminds me of an IPA, it's pretty light.

Overall: It's an ok beer. Not worth almost $10 for a sixer at the grocery store near me. It's bitter like an IPA but not much else...no citrus or resin that I typically enjoy.

3.42/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass. The color was a nice deep amber with a good head. The lacing was minor. It had a subdued pine smell with some malt and skunk. The hop flavors were subdued and not very impressive. It finished with a good malt flavor and a lingering bitterness on the tongue. The mouthfeel was heavier than expected and good. Overall it was a balanced beer but the hop flavors were just not fresh enough. The hops should not be so subdued on an American Pale Ale.

2.58/5  rDev -21.8%

Reb Ale from Lazy Magnolia Brewing Company looks nice in my pint glass. Good carbonation here. Smell has some type of alcohol and slight malt odor. Unfortunately, the taste is exactly the same. Just alcohol, some malt, and bitterness present here. (I don't mean a good kind of hoppy bitterness either.) Not recommended.

3.98/5  rDev +20.6%

Bought a 6pack at J's mart in Tupelo MS

Pours a dark yellow with a rapidly disappearing head, smells a little bitter, tastes just alike and left me with a dry mouthfeel. This beer goes down extremely easy but for some reason I got an instant headache after 2 of them the first time I drank them, I tried again 2 days later, same thing... sad, because this is a very easy drinking beer, I just don't like getting a hangover headache after 2 lighter beers. I will have to stick with southern pecan for now.

3.19/5  rDev -3.3%

A- The color is a clear golden/brown. There is a lot of foamy head that is pretty thick. It sticks to the glass and after my first drink was mostly foam, I had to wait for it to die down, but a substantial head lasts pretty much the entire drink. The drink is carbonated a little more than average as well.
S- The pine smell is very heavy in this beer. They advertise it as a deepwoods smelling beer and that is definitely true. A decent smelling beer.
T- This beer has some hops. The pine flavor is the most prevalant. There is very little malts and the taste is very consistent through the entire drinking. A steady but unique taste.
MF- Very crisp beer with little or no after taste. One of the smoother beers around.
D- Initially the beer is very easy to drink. It is not to filling but because the taste doesn't change at all I could see it getting boring. The person drinking with me said, "The more I drink this, the more it tastes like soap" so I'll take their word for it.

Deep South Pale Ale (Reb Ale) from Lazy Magnolia Brewing Company