Indian Summer - Lazy Magnolia Brewing Company

Indian SummerIndian Summer

Lazy Magnolia Brewing Company visit their website
Mississippi, United States

American Pale Wheat Ale |  4.68% ABV

Indian Summer is a light profile American-style wheat ale spiced with Orange Peel and Coriander. Our recipe uses a mix of wheat and pale barley. This beer is very lightly hopped to allow the spices to shine through. Clean fermenting yeast produce a very dry, crisp base to further accentuate the spices. The aroma has a distinct citrus note without being overly fruity.

(Beer added by: weeare138 on 10-04-2007)
1.65/5  rDev -50%

12oz. bottle poured into an imperial pint. 1-18-10 printed on the label. Thanks to BeerFMAndy for the trade.

(A)- Pours a clear orange hue that produced a minimal head that dissipated immediately.

(S)- Some orange peel and loads of coriander I believe. Smells almost like that orange flavored cough syrup you had when you were a kid.

(T)- It does practically taste like that same super sugary sweet orange flavored cough syrup! The only difference is with some sweet honey malts & corn husk.

(M)- A good carbonation level but there isnt anything else I like about this. Its really sugary sweet.

(D)- This is very nostalgic of my childhood when I would get sick and have to drink that orange flavored medicine; not the fondest memories considering they all surround me being sick or ill. Sorry, but this one doesnt sit well with me.

2.17/5  rDev -34.2%

Poured a decently clear (slight haze) tangerine with little specks of sediment on the bottom of the glass. Short lived 1.5" white head that left a scant ring. A small patch of lacing. Looks somewhat disappointing... And yes, it is quite so. Aroma of metallic orange sherbet with a tangy wheat touch. And tastes exactly as it smells as well. This is lacking in orange and has a weird metallic off flavor that is definitely getting in the way of my enjoyment. Slight caramel in the finish. Bubbly and lots of carbonation. I'm not a fan, hope I can finish this...

2.25/5  rDev -31.8%

The very last of a six pack that I bought sometime over the holiday season on a bargain deal. It's still $6 for a six pack in Athens. Date code on the bottle is 11 06, which translates (I hope) to June 2011. That may explain why I have been having such a hard time choking down this batch.

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle to a Lazy Magnolia pint glass at room temperature. Served at 45º Fahrenheit.

(Appearance) Pours a half finger white head on top of a golden yellow base, nearly clear in appearance. Retention is poor, much of the head fades within a minute, leaving some spotty surface cover on the top of the glass. No lacing. Carbonation is moderate. This beer has some flaws in the appearance, mostly due to the head quality which fades rapidly, doesn't make a good first impression. 2

(Smell) The good news is that this beer is potent, but the bad news is that potency isn't really what I want with the way time has handled this beer. Spice and hops have completely faded from the nose by this point, leaving what can only be described as a sour wheat malt impression. Very musty wheat forms the base of the aroma, with some faded orange peel in the back. Beyond that, there's not much else to describe. While the smell is not blatantly offensive, it is far from pleasant. I hope fresher dates produce a much more appealing aroma than the one I have in my glass today. 2

(Taste) More thin musty wheat, funky yeast and a touch of old orange. It's not pleasant and there's little to commend. Fortunately the complexity is limited to making the flavor closer to water than wheat, so the flavor is light and therefore bearable in small sips. Hop flavor is limited, but there is a tiny hint of grassy flavors on the end. Coriander seed is largely a shadow of what I expected to find in this beer but can the characteristic peppery spiciness still be found in subtle doses on the tongue and in the finish. Believe it or not, this beer is still quite drinkable, but "pleasant" is a word I would use cautiously. Time doesn't treat Pale Wheat Ales well, and this is certainly no exception to the rule. 2

(Mouthfeel) There's little that time could do to impact the texture and the carbonation in this beer, which is still spritely enough to get by. It's actually not a bad level for a Pale Wheat, smooth with a touch of air on the tongue. The carbonation could become somewhat more energized and do some good for the beer overall, but at its current state it passes. Body is a light. Alcohol is a light as well. One of the best parts of this beer without a doubt would be the mouthfeel. 3.5

(Overall) I feel so bad for coming down hard on this beer, but we sometimes learn the hard way what constitutes a good deal versus a bad one regardless of the price. I'll go on record stating that it is very important to check the date of this specific beer. Age has taken any pleasant wheat and orange flavors and added some must and funk to the whole mix. For $1 a beer, this may be the casual drinker's run-of-the-mill beverage. I, however will have a hard time getting this again, thinking of the potential that a fresh batch MAY taste just as similar. In that case, buyer beware. I could point out quite a few better Pale wheats, so just check my ratings. If there is one thing to take away from the review, it's to check the date on every bottle you can find. 2.5

Lazy Magnolia Brewing Company's
Indian Summer Spiced Ale
2.25/5.00

2.38/5  rDev -27.9%

Thanks to piginapen for shipping me this one. The description on the bottle sounds interesting, so I looked forward to trying it. It poured a golden yellow into my pint glass with a large white fizzy head that dissipates quickly. Slightly hazy.

The smell is unmistakably wheat, which dominates. A hint of a citrus kick concealed under all the grain. The smell is not bad. The taste, unfortunately, is a different story. This is the first beer that I can completely confidently describe as a mess. There's no better word for it.

The sweetness is more akin to cough syrup than anything else. It's that thick, burning sweetness that you feel in the back of your throat and up in your sinuses. I guess molasses has the same effect. Anyway, that in and of itself doesn't ruin a beer. But it's mixed with a peppery spiciness which does its work in the exact same areas, and the competing effects clash horribly. There's also a not-unpleasant wheat taste, of course, but it's totally overwhelmed.

It's light and crisp, but that doesn't nearly make up for the taste. Oh, well. Lazy Magnolia makes better stuff, so when I visit family in Louisiana, at least I'll have better options.

2.45/5  rDev -25.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

12 oz. bottle served in pint glass. About 4 mo. past date on bottle.

A - hazy light golden with 1 finger of thick white head; exceptional retention
S - rather unpleasant sour smell
T - Pils malt with mix(?) of spices, including coriander; some citrus flavor. Medium/light flavor is much better than aroma indicates, but too sour and with unfortunate flavor mixture. Decent finish.
M - a bit crisp and a little astringent. Medium carbonation.

2.5/5  rDev -24.2%

2.5/5  rDev -24.2%

2.55/5  rDev -22.7%

12 oz bottle poured into a Samuel Adams Summer Ale Stange. 01/18/10 printed on label. No date.

Thanks to PerzentRizen for this new beer to try!

A - Indian summer pours lightly hazy and golden yellow with a big white head. Little retention leads way to a thin white layer with a tiny arch or lace.

S - Initially the aroma was bursting with orange peel but has since diminished in strength allowing for other nuances of wheat and a light graininess with the malts to pull through. A good coriander addition too.

T - W...t...f... I don't really know exactly whats going on here since I've never experienced this in a beer, but it isn't good. Light sweet malts in the rear with a heavy coriander spice up front. There is something going on I've never experienced in a beer that seems like possible over-spicing but I'm really not a fan of this one.

M - Really weird spices give a funky feel to it. Otherwise it's a little zesty and soft with a lower-medium body.

D - I can't get over this incredibly awkward flavor! I don't know what it is but I don't like it. It's really not...bad per se but it's not something I'd want again.

2.58/5  rDev -21.8%

Thanks to BeerFMAndy for this beer. Poured into my pint glass the beer is fairly clear golden yellow. With an aggresive pour I was able to produce about a finger of white head that faded almost instantly. No lace to be seen.

The aroma is super light. Only after sticking my nose deep into the glass and pull a serious whiff I can pick up a hint of oranges and vanilla. Like a very faint dreamsicle. That's about it. I maybe get a little spice but that might just my mind playing tricks on me after reading the label.

The flavor is just as muted as the nose. Nothing but a hint of fruitiness in the finish is all I can pick out. This beer is almost devoid of flavor. Nothing offensive. Nothing at all really.

Light body with moderate carbonation.

Overall a very bland lifeless beer. Not something I would ever pick up on my own.

look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Thanks to Brad for sending this out my way. Tick. The beer is golden hued with a thin, fleeting white head. the aroma offers sweet malt, grain, ripe fruit. Sweet and cloying with fairly low carbonation. Not something I would try more than once. Lacking wheat and hop character. Bland. No fun.

2.58/5  rDev -21.8%

12 ounce bottle - $1.99 at Total Wine & More in Kennesaw, Georgia. There's a bottle date code, but it's nearly an inch off, smudged, and illegible. Lazy Lazy Magnolia.

Appearance: Pours a not quite clear, yellow body with a white head that dissipates in mere seconds.

Smell: The spicing of coriander and the citrus peel come through clearly over the bland, light, lackluster maltiness.

Taste: Light pale malted barley and wheat with mild sweetness adhered to it. With little character or flavor to the malts, the spicing just rides on through with a clear taste of both coriander and orange peel. Dry, moderately spicy finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-thin body, but not quite watery. Medium-plus carbonation.

Overall: Unfortunately, it's one of those beers that's instantly forgetta--wait, what were we talking about??

2.63/5  rDev -20.3%

Butterscotch in color with no head to speak of. The smell carries some herbs (cilantro, parsley, sage), but I'm not picking up any spice. The smell is of a saison that was brewed with a poor choice of spices and the taste is even worse. This beer is vegetal and it shouldn't be if it were done correctly. If someone had asked me what this beer had been brewed with I would have been tempted to answer "celery". Any sweetness or bitterness from any traditional ingredients is loss in the effort to block the vegetal taste from your tongue, but it's not easy. Still, there is a mild sweetness from the light malts, but no bitterness from the hops. I rarely pour a beer, but this one had to go and I also left behind 5 bottles form the six-pack for the next person to get the hotel room. I hope they have the good sense to pour it too.

2.7/5  rDev -18.2%

Had this the other night after work. Poured a bronze/copper color with thin white head that faded quickly and left no lacing. Smelled spicy with a little bit of malts. Tasted spicy (coriander?) and slightly citrusy. A little too fizzy for me, and while I didn't have to struggle to drink this, it did not go down easy.

2.71/5  rDev -17.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Served on tap in a pint glass.

Pours a slightly hazy dark gold with no head or lacing whatsoever. Not a good start.

There are some hints of light orange peel and coriander in the aroma but light is the key word here. Not very exciting at all.

The flavor continues the trend of light flavors with a bit of caramel from the malt along with more orange and a bit of a bready yeasty note. Mouthfeel is extremely watery and light with just the least bit of bitterness.

Overall, I am disappointed with this one. Everything about it is light and a bit boring.

2.73/5  rDev -17.3%

Poured into a Coco Cola Tumbler

Appearance-Slightly darker then other Wheat Ale's i've had. It's a pretty dark orange with less then a finger off off white head. Dissipates almost immediately.

Smell-Sweet malts, orange and spice. No Wheat.

Taste-Sweet malts all the way. Really no orange or any citrus or wheat in the taste. If so it's very subtle. Finish has some apple. Carbonation and sweetness kind of overshadows most the beer though.

Mouthfeel-Light bodied, High carbonation. Pretty refreshing.

Overall-I think this may be it. I do NOT like Wheat Beers. I don't think I've had a good experience yet. When drinking summer beers I'm better off with Pale Ales, Wits and Hefes.
Mouthfeel-

2.74/5  rDev -17%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Poured into a Florida Beer Co. tapered glass. Bottleneck says Best By: 10/25/13.

A- Pours a clean light amber color with a 1/2 inch off-white head that doesn't retain long before settling to a thick ring around the edge of the glass and a small sheer patch of surface foam. Soon, there's zero bubbles at all. Hate when that happens. Absolutely no lacing.

S- Sweet wheat aroma with a twinge of alcohol and not much else.

T- Very pedestrian wheat flavor with very little orange peel or coriander detected. Just some grainy wheat malt and some alcohol.

M- Watery and lame. Low carbonation and a medium body.

O- This is one of the worst wheat beers I've ever had. At least Canebreak has some flavor even if it's not that good.

2.75/5  rDev -16.7%

Lazy Magnolia Indian Summer has an extremely thick, off-white head, a hazy, yellow-golden appearance, with bountiful tiny streaming bubbles, and a bit of lacing left on the glass. The aroma is of faint malt, sweetness, and citrus. Taste is predominately tap water with a shade of lemon juice. There really isn’t much else with this, sadly. No off-flavors, though. Mouthfeel is light to medium, and Lazy Magnolia Indian Summer finishes crisp and watery. Overall, this is dull, watery, and limpid. I rate low average. Blah.

RJT